Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (54515 Views)

Taking Food Out Of Airplanes / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:35am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

Wow, I am the exact opposite. I fill up my time watching movies and listening to music.
I also like to view the 'airshow'. When I'm done doing all that, I will then sleep.
I always do same why on board as it helps me stay awake.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:35am On Mar 30, 2013
Kay-Dee:
. . . add 6 to that. I went 17 straight hours from Houston to Dubai, I slept like a Yak .

[size=13pt]Smh. That's torture. It's because I travel with family. When I travel alone, I'm buying a flight with multiple stops lol. Anything more than eight hours is horrible in my opinion.[/size]
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:36am On Mar 30, 2013
Kay-Dee:

. . . add 6 to that. I went 17 straight hours from Houston to Dubai, I slept like a Yak .
You deserve a medal. That's almost an entire day in the air.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:36am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]I don't like movies and my music can ony take me so far. Lol. Sleeping is a lousy remedy as I believe I take 6-hour naps, only to wake and find that 47 minutes have passed.[/size]
I know this feeling, I understand it, perfectly grin grin grin

The movies help though, or you can take a book with you on board, reading helps too.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:36am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]I saw what I saw though. We weren't served rice but there was rice everywhere.[/size]
Well anything is possible with Naija people
bumdish:
LOL

Can't someone just make a point without saying.
"In December 2000, I alongside my dad and siblings"
"I was once on a Delta flight from ATL to LAG for 12 hours"
"My flight from Italy to Nigeria (Alitalia) was easily one of the more "interesting" flights I've flown"
"I have taken flight between different countries and all those things are there, apart from number 2. 3 weeks ago I flew Lufthansa from Munich to Helsinki"
"I will never forget my experience on-board Emirates airline in October 2006. The Lagos-Dubai and Dubai-JFK flights "
LWKMD cheesy cheesy
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:37am On Mar 30, 2013
Theres nothing wrong with it. I like descriptive writing. tongue
bumdish:
LOL

"My flight from Italy to Nigeria (Alitalia) was easily one of the more "interesting" flights I've flown"
"I have taken flight between different countries and all those things are there, apart from number 2. 3 weeks ago I flew Lufthansa from Munich to Helsinki"
"I will never forget my experience on-board Emirates airline in October 2006. The Lagos-Dubai and Dubai-JFK flights "

Naija, we too like to dey show grin
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:39am On Mar 30, 2013
Paentera:

Taking cooked meals - puff puff & jollof rice - past immigration/border patrol? Considering it was Alitalia that doesn't serve these sort of meals, I daresay it must be some serious laxity.

Europeans generally have a more relaxed attitude to airport security than the Americans. So that scenario is possible.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:40am On Mar 30, 2013
Kay-Dee:

17 straight?
I hate direct flights,am always on transit especially via Amsterdam,just love the feel of that airport.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:41am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
Yeah. Thai airways is nice too. Nigeria aviation association, should learn from them.

The Asians really know how to treat passengers well. That's why their airlines always make the top 5/10 in the rankings of international airlines.

Most US airlines have forgotten the term- customer service, in domestic flights.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:42am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

Europeans generally have a more relaxed attitude to airport security than the Americans. So that scenario is possible.
I remember one time my mum packed chicken in foil once, I just balanced myself on the seat in the plane and enjoyed the chicken. No security wahala.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:42am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123: Theres nothing wrong with it. I like descriptive writing. tongue

[size=13pt]Funnily, if we're not descriptive, they'll:

a) ask for descriptions OR
b) call you a liar AND/OR
c) hurl insults that start with "you wey neva enta Cotonou..." grin[/size]

1 Like

chucky234: 17 straight?
I hate direct flights,am always on transit especially via Amsterdam,just love the feel of that airport.

I love direct flights o. There is no better feeling than that of knowing u will meet your family/friends at your next stop.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by KayDee4: 2:42am On Mar 30, 2013
bumdish:
LOL

Naija, we too like to dey show grin

Lol !!! I thought the thread was for 'donation' of experiences.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:43am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

The Asians really know how to treat passengers well. That's why their airlines always make the top 5/10 in the rankings of international airlines.

Most US airlines have forgotten the term- customer service, in domestic flights.
Ahhh it's a shame. But what can we do except to complain ?
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:43am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

lmao. Or 'you wey never enter Douala' grin
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Brentwood: 2:44am On Mar 30, 2013
I went to Naija with my 3yr old in Nov, flew San Francisco to Houston to Lag. I told my hubby never again will I fly that route. The Nigerians in Houston are something else. Lmao at the pp that said they are farmers. I swear they look like and act like it.
We landed in Houston and had to run to our gate to catch the Lagos flight because we were late from Sf. All the passengers were seated and waiting for us coming from Sf. Our seats were already occupied by folks who were praying we wont show up. Even though there was only one woman seated on our row, she had filled the overhead compartment with Ghana-must-gos, poly bags etc. They had to take my carry-on from me to be checked in and I forgot to remove my daughter's pull-ups and food. I was so upset as I had to go look for another family to beg for diaper when my daughter pooped.
When we were taxing to the gate in Lag, people started getting up and the hostesses were shouting for them to be seated, it took a few other people intervening for them to sit down. Then the shouts of Jesu O se o.

It was quite an experience. From now on, I go through Frankfurt, Amsterdam or London.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:44am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
I remember one time my mum packed chicken in foil once, I just balanced myself on the seat in the plane and enjoyed the chicken. No security wahala.
Most airlines don't allowed personal food on board
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:44am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan: Europeans generally have a more relaxed attitude to airport security than the Americans. So that scenario is possible.

[size=13pt]Excluding Germany. Apart from TSA screenings here, I feel the Germans are actually just as tight, if not tighter.[/size]
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:45am On Mar 30, 2013
Brentwood: I went to Naija with my 3yr old in Nov, flew San Francisco to Houston to Lag. I told my hubby never again will I fly that route. The Nigerians in Houston are something else. Lmao at the pp that said they are farmers. I swear they look like and act like it.
We landed in Houston and had to run to our gate to catch the Lagos flight because we were late from Sf. All the passengers were seated and waiting for us coming from Sf. Our seats were already occupied by folks who were praying we wont show up. Even though there was only one woman seated on our row, she had filled the overhead compartment with Ghana-must-gos, poly bags etc. They had to take my carry-on from me to be checked in and I forgot to remove my daughter's pull-ups and food. I was so upset as I had to go look for another family to beg for diaper when my daughter pooped.
When we were taxing to the gate in Lag, people started getting up and the hostesses were shouting for them to be seated, it took a few other people intervening for them to sit down. Then the shouts of Jesu O se o.

It was quite an experience. From now on, I go through Frankfurt, Amsterdam or London.
lol
You need to see those guys in Austin
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:45am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

grin grin grin cheesy grin ;DLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL *falls off bed* LOOOOL

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by KayDee4: 2:46am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]Smh. That's torture. It's because I travel with family. When I travel alone, I'm buying a flight with multiple stops lol. Anything more than eight hours is horrible in my opinion.[/size]

CFCfan: You deserve a medal. That's almost an entire day in the air.

For one reason or another, I'm usually up all night before I travel, so sleep takes over once I'm airborne.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:47am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Most airlines don't allowed personal food on board

Really ? Well I remember my mum making chicken, so that 'we can chop on the plane' (my mums very words)

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:47am On Mar 30, 2013
@Brentwood: You and some other posters have made up my mind.
I'll definitely connect through New York or Seattle.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:48am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

*falls into Lagos lagoon* grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:49am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]Excluding Germany. Apart from TSA screenings here, I feel the Germans are actually just as tight, if not tighter.[/size]

Okay. The Germans love efficiency though.

Anyway, I believe most TSA screening procedures are a farce. It's just window-dressing.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:49am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

I love direct flights o. There is no better feeling than that of knowing u will meet your family/friends at your next stop.
I hate sitting for long hours without a break,try transit through Schiphol,Amsterdam or Gatwick,London
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:49am On Mar 30, 2013
Brentwood: I went to Naija with my 3yr old in Nov, flew San Francisco to Houston to Lag. I told my hubby never again will I fly that route. The Nigerians in Houston are something else. Lmao at the pp that said they are farmers. I swear they look like and act like it.

LMAO!! they're the same everywhere, especially the older people, na dem dey exhibit this kain behavior pass.
ItsModella:
*falls into Lagos lagoon* grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
*Adaobi, Should I call LAMATA or 9-1-1*
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by bumdish: 2:50am On Mar 30, 2013
lafflaff123: Laugh catch me when i see some comments about wetin i write.

Anyway to the first idiot wey say i dey pose because i no need landing card and if my mama teach me not to read other people messages,na illiterates like you i like to meet in person.

If you had any iota of intelligence in your head,then you should have seen where i clearly stated the fact that she kept the phone on my arm rest while turning to my right it was there,open and since i am not blind of course i will read.

Remember i did not touch her phone and she picked it up where she left it(my space)and to say i am a racist?i am assuming you meant a tribalist?right?was born,bred and still live in Yorubaland when i am around and the only i specifically mentioned her tribe YORUBA,was because the Yoruba's are known for respect for elderly people,so her character baffled me.

Do you think the old man was stupid and did not know the girl's display of stupidity was all because of him?how would you feel if a girl called your dad a SMELLY OLD MAN?and you expected me to be all smile with an uncouth low life?and yes i rememeber because it happened last year and if you are that intellectually bankrupt not to remember things in details from even twenty years ago,then you have the right to be where you are in life now.

As stated earlier, i have a soft spot for elderly people and was brought up to be very respectful to them and i really find it disturbing when i see people treating them with disregard.

To the other idiot who said i have not seen a plane but from hollywood movies. To you i will not even didnify you with an answer.

To the Poster, you see a lot of things travelling and some you will find unpalatable but it comes with the territory and this is not synonymous to Nigerian travellers alone.

Some of my experiences:

Oyinbo pikin sitting close to me some years ago for some where in Europe vomit for my body,i understand say some pikin body dey get as it be when in flight and when them dey on full stomach.

A Nigerian lady with her daughter were sitting close to me on a trip to Nigeria from Paris. Lady stood up and told me excuse me as she wanted to walk pass my sit to use the rest room and as she squeezed pass me i noticed there were blood stains on her white trousers. I brought it to her notice and she sat down quickly,called the Air France hostess,whispered something into her ears and the air hostess gave her the neck scarf she had and went and brought something for her.

The lady went to the rest room,came back and thanked me very much,i could go on with my experiences on air but that na HANDOUT.

When i travel i put my mind on getting to my destination,what business i am going for and most importantly praying to get there safely(THE BEST PLANES THIS DAYS DEY FALL ENTER RIVER)instead of make i dey look wetin other people dey do.

@Poster no dey find fault for Naija people.

Bros, we get your point, but you erred the moment you started raining curses on the lady, you erred the moment your tribalisic comment exposed your real sentiments, your 'holy pass' gave you away.
Almost certainly, the young lady and the old man would have moved on with their lives and probably wouldn't even remember this incident you just graphically recalled. My advise to you is to move on and not allow yourself to be held down in the mucky waters of tribalism, disgust, hatred and forgiveness. This statement "And that YORUBA GIRL if you are reading this and on NAIRALAND i say again people will run away from you too when you get old. " is too much for your mouth. Are you God!

6 Likes

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:50am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:
*Adaobi, Should I call LAMATA or 9-1-1*
Which one be LAMATA ?
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by 2legit2qwt: 2:51am On Mar 30, 2013
More like 7 annoying things people do on airplanes

I don't know who you've been flying with but i'm not sure I've ever experienced that with Nigerians.

I totally disagree, these ain't common with just Nigerians angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Passengers Transported With Wheelbarrows At Rumuokoro Flyover In Port Harcourt / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / Petr Kellner Dies In Helicopter Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.