Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,806 members, 7,813,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) - TV/Movies (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) (1089735 Views)

[SPOILERS ALERT] MARVELS Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D - Fan Thread / Game Of Thrones : Red Wedding Scene / Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (859) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 17, 2015
Seun:
My expectations for season 5 are very low. We've seen that Game Of Thrones is at its best when it's faithful to the show and adds a little spice to delight book readers. For example, the best part of season 4 was the fight between the Mountain and the viper. Every word spoken in that scene was lifted directly from the book. The only significant deviation was the squishing of Oberyn's head which added spice to the book version of the story without changing its essence. But the writers have deviated more and more from the book story every season. They think they can improve on a story that a master storyteller wrote over several decades within the space of a few months. Of course, they're wrong.

Sure they can. GOT TV show may owe it's existence to the book but it's not strictly dependent either. It has certain advantages that the book doesn't - Fluidity, flexibility, and Several writers. 2 heads are better than one as they say. Can bunch of writers working around the clock write a superscript within the space of a few months to improve on the original and make the TV show less predictable? The Answer is a resounding "Yes, they can!" The reason GOT is "GRADUALLY" but surely breaking free from it's inspiration is apparent - It's trying to create it's own identity without offending the fans of the book at the same time.

Let's talk the The Walking Dead. The AMC shows owes it's existence and ideas to the book, but if you had read the comic, you'll come to realized that TWD TV show is already a different story. In fact, a better story than the Comic. The writers are pulling ideas out of the thin air, trying to usurp the inspiration... and succeeding.

One thing people don't realize is this: A predicable show makes for a boring one.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 17, 2015
Bawss1:
^
True. The additions to the original story didn't improve the overall story IMO. That's just Hollywood and its conceited adherence to ratings and what they think audiences always want to see.

Yes it does. I haven't read the book but I've heard some reviews from people that have read it saying that the show is intriguing and a pleasant surprise. And it all makes sense because when it comes to TV shows and Movies, people like to be surprised, else what's the point?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by timpaker(m): 12:00pm On Feb 17, 2015
Kaycee7:
All men (boss) must die. angry

Not my darling actors
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Bawss1(m): 4:07pm On Feb 17, 2015
koice:

Yes it does. I haven't read the book but I've heard some reviews from people that have read it saying that the show is intriguing and a pleasant surprise. And it all makes sense because when it comes to TV shows and Movies, people like to be surprised, else what's the point?

Hmmm. Your comment will be excused because you admit to not having read the books. If you read original story you will surely agree with the many followers of the story on forums like Westeros.org that the additions are indeed distracting and only pander to hollywood's desire for formulaic storytelling.

This is a no spoilers thread so we can't discuss in detail how the books differ from the TV series, I don't want Oga Seun's ban hammer falling on my head. smiley I will quickly admit though that the TV series has done a good job in sticking to the real scripts - in fact that's why it's been enjoyable so far. The additions leave you asking why the producers even bother with them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by philfearon(m): 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2015
Winter is Coming..!!

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Bawss1(m): 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2015
philfearon:
Winter is Coming..!!

We've been hearing that for ages now still nothing. grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
Bawss1:

As in eh. That phrase don tire me finish. angry
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 17, 2015
koice:

As in eh. That phrase don tire me finish. angry

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by philfearon(m): 7:04pm On Feb 17, 2015
Bawss1:

April is by the corner bro...Don't be the Proverbial Tortoise..
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by seribroo56(m): 8:20pm On Feb 18, 2015
philfearon:

April is by the corner bro...Don't be the Proverbial Tortoise..
hmmmmmm what happened to the tortoise in the proverb

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by philfearon(m): 7:16am On Feb 19, 2015
seribroo56:
hmmmmmm what happened to the tortoise in the proverb
He was given a hundred years sentence and locked up in a room that smells like hell(the worst smell ever)..He served 99yrs,and just a year to go to be released,He now started complaining of how rotten and smelly the room is,that he can't continue to bear such!!

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by seribroo56(m): 6:17pm On Feb 19, 2015
philfearon:

He was given a hundred years sentence and locked up in a room that smells like hell(the worst smell ever)..He served 99yrs,and just a year to go to be released,He now started complaining of how rotten and smelly the room is,that he can't continue to bear such!!
lols funny tortoise, since he endured for 99years what is 1year..
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by absky5(m): 7:50pm On Feb 19, 2015
vhalar morghulis..... vhalar doaernis....... WINTER IS COMING BETTER FIND A PLACE AT D BACK OF D WALL...... wen is Got 5 gonna start to be aire
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by philfearon(m): 7:32am On Feb 20, 2015
seribroo56:
lols funny tortoise, since he endured for 99years what is 1year..
You don see am Na..
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Codedrock(m): 6:52am On Feb 21, 2015
yeap

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Ignatio(m): 8:00am On Feb 22, 2015
timpaker:

Not my darling actors

Lol
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Keketu(m): 8:31am On Feb 22, 2015
Seun:
Wow, let me get my copy of episode 1 before reading this thread.
hello
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 22, 2015
[size=20pt]14/04/15 cheesy[/size]
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Kaycee7(m): 1:41pm On Feb 25, 2015
suxxman:
[size=20pt]14/04/15 cheesy[/size]
And now my watch begins !!!

3 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Bawss1(m): 7:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
Saw this discussed on another forum and thought to bring it here. How many seasons do you people think GoT should run for?

There are currently four seasons available and the fifth will be released soon. Some have said that great tv series like The Wire and Breaking Bad wrapped up after 5 seasons, that that is the safe point after which producers and writers tend to taper off with their story telling but we all know that unless the show is cancelled, ending it in its 5th or even 6th season will be a great injustice. The producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff have hinted at a possible 7 seasons while their TV network HBO may push for 10. What do NLanders think?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 19, 2015
Bawss1:
Saw this discussed on another forum and thought to bring it here. How many seasons do you people think GoT should run for?

There are currently four seasons available and the fifth will be released soon. Some have said that great tv series like The Wire and Breaking Bad wrapped up after 5 seasons, that that is the safe point after which producers and writers tend to taper off with their story telling but we all know that unless the show is cancelled, ending it in its 5th or even 6th season will be a great injustice. The producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff have hinted at a possible 7 seasons while their TV network HBO may push for 10. What do NLanders think?

Till Eternity.............. Lol
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Bawss1(m): 12:26pm On Mar 19, 2015
suxxman:

Till Eternity.............. Lol

Like Dallas? That would be horrible. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2015
Bawss1:

I don't expect GOT to exceed the 8th season. HBO don't like pushing their luck when it comes to hit shows like GOT. HBO likes to keep it complicated, but simple, to allow enough leg room to maneuver. Then wrap sh*t up when it REALLY gets complicated - Quit while you're ahead and sh*t.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Bawss1(m): 5:41pm On Mar 19, 2015
koice:

I don't expect GOT to exceed the 8th season. HBO don't like pushing their luck when it comes to hit shows like GOT. HBO likes to keep it complicated, but simple, to allow enough leg room to maneuver. Then wrap sh*t up when it REALLY gets complicated - Quit while you're ahead and sh*t.

Yeah that's true a really long series stands the real risk of losing its focus and audience but I think much of this also depends on the creator of the story George R Martin. He says the story will be complete in the 7th book, so far he has only written 5. The TV series is just rounding up the 3rd book. HBO, the producers and the author will have to decide how this all plays out, it certainly will be interesting to see how they do.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 20, 2015
Bawss1:

Yeah that's true a really long series stands the real risk of losing its focus and audience but I think much of this also depends on the creator of the story George R Martin. He says the story will be complete in the 7th book, so far he has only written 5. The TV series is just rounding up the 3rd book. HBO, the producers and the author will have to decide how this all plays out, it certainly will be interesting to see how they do.

At the most, however unlikely, the fantasy series would burn out at it's "10th season."
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Ignatio(m): 9:41am On Mar 26, 2015
Bawss1:

Ending it in six will be OK. I fear ten will water down the story.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 9:13am On Mar 28, 2015
Ignatio:

Ending it in six will be OK. I fear ten will water down the story.

The problem is that there is sooo much that is still yet to happen. I hear they are planning to shorten some story-arcs, but even at that there's still TWO whole books yet to be released. Plus the big question that everyone is trying to ignore: What happens when the show overtakes the books? Personally I'll give it up to seven seasons.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Ignatio(m): 2:39pm On Mar 28, 2015
kay9:

The problem is that there is sooo much that is still yet to happen. I hear they are planning to shorten some story-arcs, but even at that there's still TWO whole books yet to be released. Plus the big question that everyone is trying to ignore: What happens when the show overtakes the books? Personally I'll give it up to seven seasons.

Everyone seems to be scared or avoiding that question.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 5:28pm On Mar 28, 2015
In a totally unrelated news, I just read that India is set to shoot its own version of Game of Thrones. The whole idea is just too funny. I'm guessing Nollywood won't be far behind. grin grin

http://rt.com/news/244741-game-thrones-india-remake/
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Seun(m): 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2015
They can slow the show down by a few years to give GRRM more time to release Winds Of Winter. GRRM seems to be very focused on it now.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by philfearon(m): 9:55am On Mar 29, 2015
Seun:
They can slow the show down by a few years to give GRRM more time to release Winds Of Winter. GRRM seems to be very focused on it now.
Can they? with this teaming huge demand?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 7:13pm On Mar 29, 2015
Seun:

Slow down ke? Hell to the no. Ive read all the books but im still loving the show; slowing down will kill the anticipation/momentum/fun. Updates on the show actually imply that GRRM has provided Benioff and the producers with concluding plot points in case he isn't around to complete the books (=kicks the bucket).

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (859) (Reply)

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) / Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija “All Stars“ 2023: Live Updates Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.