Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,487 members, 7,770,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:03 AM

Let Muslims Be Muslim - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Let Muslims Be Muslim (17096 Views)

Muslims Be Careful / NL Muslims, Be The Judge Of Your Own Moderator...lol... / Can Muslims Be This Kind To Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Muslims Be Muslim by tbaba1234: 3:07am On Apr 04, 2013
This piece was written by my very good friend and beloved brother as a note on facebook. He has a nairaland account so i'm sharing it using his nairaland username.

Let Muslims Be Muslim
by Ajii20 (https://www.nairaland.com/ajii20)

So much religion, little godliness! This was recently the personal message of one of my Blackberry contacts. Though I didn't ask what the situation was, I have had several experiences that I need not ask him before agreeing with him. A lady who once tried to introduce her religion to me and told me how “cool” I was and how I can’t be a true Muslim because I wasn't “violent” was the same person who when she needed money asked if I could help her by bending the rules of a Call for Tender process. Many of our Contractors usually register more than one Company or have influence in more than one Company so she would suggest to me the Companies to invite for the Tender together with her main Company. In the end, she will be the one submitting all the quotations under different names so whichever Company is awarded the Tender, it’s a win-win for her. In her mind, she was only helping herself and this has nothing to do with morality, ethics or godliness. I was also at the immigration service recently to renew my passport and despite the effort of some officers to ensure orderliness, there were some individuals of course with the collusion of some officers who try to bend the rules and jump the queue. Whichever religion we belong to, we seem to be more focused on an outward display of religion without internalizing the values of the religion. Our cars bear different stickers of praises, we place the holy books and rosaries or tesbihs on our dashboards and there are religious houses at every nook and corner of our streets. Yet there is so much immorality and corruption that pervade the land. We all want to have our way all cost, be rich through any means and we probably believe we can launder such filthy lucre by donating a part of it to “God”.

This is just a digression and not the main subject of my note. Today, a religious crisis is brewing in Lagos State. And this is not about the recent busting of a suspected book haram hide-out but the harassment of female Muslim students who have chosen freely to use the hijab. Two of these students were flogged recently by their Principals and this caused an outcry from the Muslim societies around the country but Lagos in particular. I hear that a petition has been written to the Lagos State House of Assembly by MURIC (Muslim Rights Concern) and an ad-hoc committee has been set-up by the House to consider passing a law banning or authorizing the use of hijab. Some argue that Nigeria is a secular State and the State should not be seen passing laws that seem to promote a particular religion but the protagonist of this line of argument fail to admit that most of the systems we practice today were from colonial masters who were Christians. The supposed “secularism” is in favour of one religion more than the other. I still say that the use of the Gregorian calendar (January-December) and observing weekends on Saturday and Sunday (which are Sabbath days depending on the church denomination) have their roots in Christianity. The fact that we have lived this way for long does not make them secular. What is this secularism “sef”? Really, it is a word that I am yet to fully grasp its meanings. Does it mean we should forget about all religions or we should accept all religions? If we were to forget about all religions, then in Nigeria we should not have holidays such as Easter, Christmas, Eid-el-Fitr, Eid-ul-Adha etc. We should only have Independence Day, Workers Day, and Democracy Day since these holidays seem not to be attached to any religion. If it means to allow all religions, then the worshippers of obatala, sango, oshun etc should also have their public holidays.

I think we only deceive ourselves if we say Nigeria is a secular nation whatever that means. Islam and Christianity are the main religions in Nigeria and I think we have accepted that in the way we are already set up as a Nation. We have public holidays for both religions; we try to make a balance with both religions when making political appointments and even at state functions we usually have a Pastor and Imam offer a prayer. It is high time we recognized that in order to stop the frequent friction between Islam and Christianity in Nigeria, we need to ensure that the members of each religion can practice their religion to the fullest without taking away the rights of the other to enjoy same.

Now back to showing so much religion without internalizing the values. While the efforts to ensure that the right to use hijab is guaranteed are being led mainly by MURIC, there seems to be some smaller groups not organized under MURIC calling out people for protests. This idea where every Muslim becomes his own government, every Masjid issues its own fatwa was not the way Islam was organized during the time of the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him). We had organization and course of actions and decisions were taken by the leadership. We have forgotten that we are supposed to organize ourselves under one banner as one Nation without tribe or ethnicity having one leader.

Before the fall of the Ottoman Caliphate in the 1920s, Islam was very powerful and there was order. All the Muslims across Middle East, Eastern Europe and North Africa were under one rule. Though not exactly, just as the 1.2billion Catholics all over the world consider the Pope as their leader, our goal is to strive to have back only one source of leadership but if we can’t be organized in small Lagos then we still have a long way to go. If we still had the Caliphate, we probably would not have Boko Haram, Ansaru, JAMBS etc in small Nigeria reigning terror on us all. Such elements would most likely have been taken care of. To my non-Muslim friends, the idea of an Islamic State is not to dominate the world or to force everyone to accept Islam. It is meant to provide order among Muslims and help Muslims to be better Muslims. In fact, in the Islamic States that have existed in the past the rights of Christians and Jews were guaranteed.

And going back again to the use of hijab, many Muslims seem to rush at anyone whom they feel has persecuted Islam or Muslims while they themselves are yet to internalize the religion. Though today at the mention of hijab, the Islamic head covering is what comes easily to mind but in the real sense it is the covering of one’s unclothedness. In Islam, all of a woman’s body is her unclothedness except her face and her palms. So when I see a Muslim woman that has covered her head but wears a short sleeve or a knee length skirt, I shrug. I also feel uncomfortable when I enter a bus with women that use hijab but when they get angered they curse the bus conductor or fellow commuters. What happened to the commandments of Allah and the Prophet (Peace be upon Him) that we should remain silent if we have nothing good to say, that we should not argue much because it breeds enmity, and if we have to argue a little it should be in a beautiful manner.

Why is it that we cry foul only when some rights seem to be taken from us and we do nothing over the ones that are in our full control? I believe when Muslims decide to be more Muslims and practice as much of our religion as we can control, Allah will help us with the other ones and even non-Muslims we get to understand Islam more and will appreciate that we are in no competition with them but only want to practice our religion the way it ought to. People we understand that Islam is more that a religion but a way of life. I will like to share some personal experiences but I need to warn that I am not trying to portray myself to be holy or cool. I am still striving to improve my relationship with Allah.

There was a lady who on several occasions at the canteen had commended the way I eat. She said, “my wife will love me because I finish everything in the plate.” To her, it was my habit but for me it was a religious exercise. In one of the sayings of the Prophet, he said the stomach is the worst vessel to fill. He says if we have to eat, we should eat a little, fill one-third of it with food, another third with water and leave the last third for air. It was also reported that the Prophet eats slowly, will never leave a grain in his plate, will never complain about a food but leave it if he didn't like it. In order to emulate this practice of the Prophet, I start from the point of ordering the food. I make sure I ask for what I can finish and I try to finish it except rarely when something is wrong with the food. This habit is one capable of strengthening the love between the rich and the poor because if the rich is not wasteful there will be more for the poor, capable of strengthening the love between mothers and their children, wives and their husbands.

I will tell you another story. When I was in the University, there was a girl I liked but I couldn’t ask her out because there was another brother who was already doing same. When I told one of my closest friends (a non-Muslim) who was also my room-mate, he didn't understand why I will place such a restriction on myself. I should “play my game” and allow the other guy to play his too and let the lady decide. Afterall, she is yet to say yes to the other guy. I tried to explain to my friend that it was a restriction placed by my religion and it is meant to avoid enmity among brothers. I told him if I had to make an approach, I will have to be sure that she had turned down my brother. And as if God was going to make an example of him, someone whom he had been telling about a girl he was trying to ask out was also trying to ask out the same lady behind his back. This particular guy will go back to the lady and tell her all my friend had told him about her, how she’s forming to be difficult and how he was going to leave her if she doesn't respond positively. When my friend got to know about this, he was so shocked and furious. I then reminded him about the restriction I placed on myself but rather than accept the beauty of Islam, he tried to make a distinction between my case and his. Luckily for him, today he is married to that lady.

There was also a day while at Unilag, the call for Asr prayer had been made at 4pm and a room-mate (a non-Muslim) was surprised that I had not risen up to go and pray and he asked why I wasn't going to pray. I told him that I had prayed Asr together with Zuhr at 1pm. I explained to him that Islam permits us to join Zuhr and Asr at the time of Zuhr if there was a change of weather for instance rain. This was to prevent a situation where people won’t be able to come to say their Asr in congregation if the rain didn’t stop on time. For him, he appreciated how practicable Islam is and for me I felt if I wasn't saying my prayers regularly he wouldn't have reminded me of it.

There are a lot of Islamic virtues which are totally in our control: modesty, truthfulness, trustworthiness, promptness etc. I hear that some years ago in Port-Harcourt, if you wanted to do business people will tell you to look for an Alhaji due to the virtues they had then. I do not think it is the same now. Today Alhajis now swindle Alhajis, Muslims (including me) get late to work, cheat their employers, are wasteful when they know it’s the company paying. Imagine how much good it will do to the religion if the Company finds out that the expense bill is always low when they send a Muslim on an assignment and they realize that it is not just his habit but the habit of all members of his religion, that he will eat moderately and he will not take alcohol which is usually expensive.

Do we still make our wives to change their father’s name to ours when in fact they should keep their fathers’? If you die and she has to remarry, she changes her name again. How often would she have to change her name?

The more Muslims become Muslim, the more non-Muslims will get to appreciate the beauty of Islam and the more Allah will make it easy for us to get what we ask. We need to go back to the golden era when we were role models. Muslims were known not to be idle; they invested their time in an activity that will earn them reward either in this world or the hereafter. We were pioneers in medicine, navigation, arithmetic, literature, archaeology. We bequeathed the world with Arabic numerals which today can easily handle large numbers and several decimal places which would have been very complex with Roman numerals. Even the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him) commanded us to seek knowledge as far as China, China being the farthest place known at that time so it is strange that some “Muslims” will say to seek education is forbidden.

While Muslims try to become better Muslims I definitely want a society that guarantees religious rights such as the use of hijab by Muslim women without fear of discrimination. On a final note, today I work with a Company that permits me to register only one wife. I will like to see a day when I can register up to four that my religion has permitted even if I decide to stick with one. This right just like many others does not take anything away from the man who has decided to stick with one. Does it?

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by justaqad(m): 6:14am On Apr 04, 2013
Beautiful write up
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Lanrefahm(m): 6:24am On Apr 04, 2013
front page please
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Batty5(f): 7:56am On Apr 04, 2013
MashAllah,dis is lovely
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by deSika(m): 10:35am On Apr 04, 2013
nice write up
thaba1234: Islam and Christianity are the main religions in Nigeria and I think we have accepted that in the way we are already set up as a Nation
i agree with yu here, and thank God u realise there are other smaller non organised religions and many many many non religious people.
It is high time we recognized that in order to stop the frequent friction between Islam and Christianity in Nigeria.
aha, not really, in order to stop the friction we need to look for the cause and the originators of such frictions and tackle them
we need to ensure that the members of each religion can practice their religion to the fullest without taking away the rights of the other to enjoy same
gud one, not only the major religions oh. we need to allow other religions express themselves too. in the case of coming to school and work, we should allow the native doctors and their followers to come with their calabashes, cowries and feathers. we should also allow the white garment guys to come on barefeet.

#all the same. nice write up

3 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by maclatunji: 10:48am On Apr 04, 2013
The guy is a very good writer. He has made very good points.
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by deols(f): 12:01pm On Apr 04, 2013
I didn't even leave to come and finish later like I used to.

and at d beginning, I thought this was going to speak to me..hehe

Yes! Let Muslims be Muslim..God help Us.
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by smoy: 12:09pm On Apr 04, 2013
AL HAMDULILAH
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by AbdH: 2:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
Nice
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by busar(m): 7:48pm On Apr 04, 2013
Jazaakallahu khayr,what a good write up.MUSLIMS SHOULD BE MUSLIM

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by kemiola89(f): 11:06pm On Apr 04, 2013
What a beautiful and well articulated piece! Hats off for the writer.
May Allah make us all a better muslim.

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by BetaThings: 9:54am On Apr 05, 2013
A post full of insight, lessons and logic

There is nothing better for Muslims than to take the advice to set enviable examples - Honesty, civility, excellent work ethics, academic industry, non-violence etc. There is nothing to add really

Following the poster's advice will increase the weight of our voice when speak on issues including those "popular" trends that go against our religion. People will know that "Muslims don't fool around" and when they speak they are serious

As for the societal issues, I have some things to point out

Christians are the most insincere people in this country when it comes to the issue of secularity

A

2011 - Christians spoke loudly against Islamic Banking. Their reasons:
1. Nigeria is a secular country. Some people are trying to Islamise the country
2. It will further polarise the country. Boko Haram will take advantage of it
3. There will be call for "Amadioha" banking, "Oro" Banking etc
Please note that Islamic Banking does not cost the government money. I set it up with my money, CBN approves its licence and regulates its operations

2012 - the FCTA using Federal Govt Money built a National Christmas Tree. It was commissioned by Dame Patience Jonathan, First lady. Cardinal Onayekan was there. Ministers, members of diplomatic corps were also there

1. Now was that a constitutional act under a secular constitution?
2. Would it not polarise the country? Would Boko Haram be happy?
3. Would there be no call for "Amadioha" or "Oro" National Tree?

B
Zamfara declared Sharia. Every opportunity was taken to criticise it and raise alarm
Plateau state declared itself a Christian state. Nobody has uttered any word about Christianisation

C
Osun state changes the appellation of the state from Livinspring to Virtuous, CAN says the Gov wants to Islamise the state. They want an explanation of the change
Now what is the argument? CAN says that Christians regard Jesus as Livingspring, perhaps that is why the Muslim Gov wants to change the name, although some people have argued that Livingspring refers to Osun river

But let us look at this. If a state has a name that has Christian connotation, is it not an attempt at Christianisation? Did Muslims protest then? Or is it constitutional in Nigeria to Christianise a state but unlawful to Islamise it? Was an explanation given to people when it was so given the name with Christian connotation?

D
To be fair, CAN also states that the state schedule meetings for Sundays when people should be going to Church. Maybe that is unfair
But the state schedules meetings for Fridays when people should be going to the Mosque
Maybe we should make Friday workfree and go to work on Saturdays
That way Muslims don't have to take permission from work to go and pray on Fridays; Christians don't take permission from work to go to Church on Sundays
And at least we would have solved the problem of that girl (and her likes) who was beaten for putting on the hijab just outside the school gate on her way to Jumat service on a Friday

37 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by kponkedenge(m): 12:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
Dos dis mean dat de wuld stop their 72 virgins hunt

5 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by tobechi20(m): 12:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
MUST EVERY ARTICLE BY TBABA MAKE FRONTPAGE?

3 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by sureteeboy(m): 12:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
Only God knows why most muslims are half followers of muhammad. It's such a pity my post will be hidden if i post link 4 u guys to learn more,but u can send me a mail and learn about moderate muslims
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by ukuba: 12:37pm On Apr 05, 2013
1. Boko haram kill people for their religion-whatever their religion is
2. Nairaland will ban you if you post anything offensive to islam, you can say junks about Christianity, nobody will do anything to you
3. the Muslim members of nairaland are ready to call for your head if you say anything bad about their religion, the Christians wont say anything
4. 'they' - whoever they are - bombed churches, kill corpers, destroy houses, lives and properties, the christian wont retaliate
5. Sanusi provided funds for victims of boko haram in the north-

damn! this thread in itself is about religious intolerance, why do you need to tell me your religion is nice if not that its proven and no one yet dispute it -that's its intolerant, terrible and cruel. reputation can not be corrected with propaganda

31 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 05, 2013
tbaba1234: This piece was written by my very good friend and beloved brother as a note on facebook. He has a nairaland account so i'm sharing it using his nairaland username.

Let Muslims Be Muslim
by Ajii20 (https://www.nairaland.com/ajii20)

So much religion, little godliness! This was recently the personal message of one of my Blackberry contacts. Though I didn't ask what the situation was, I have had several experiences that I need not ask him before agreeing with him. A lady who once tried to introduce her religion to me and told me how “cool” I was and how I can’t be a true Muslim because I wasn't “violent” was the same person who when she needed money asked if I could help her by bending the rules of a Call for Tender process. Many of our Contractors usually register more than one Company or have influence in more than one Company so she would suggest to me the Companies to invite for the Tender together with her main Company. In the end, she will be the one submitting all the quotations under different names so whichever Company is awarded the Tender, it’s a win-win for her. In her mind, she was only helping herself and this has nothing to do with morality, ethics or godliness. I was also at the immigration service recently to renew my passport and despite the effort of some officers to ensure orderliness, there were some individuals of course with the collusion of some officers who try to bend the rules and jump the queue. Whichever religion we belong to, we seem to be more focused on an outward display of religion without internalizing the values of the religion. Our cars bear different stickers of praises, we place the holy books and rosaries or tesbihs on our dashboards and there are religious houses at every nook and corner of our streets. Yet there is so much immorality and corruption that pervade the land. We all want to have our way all cost, be rich through any means and we probably believe we can launder such filthy lucre by donating a part of it to “God”.

This is just a digression and not the main subject of my note. Today, a religious crisis is brewing in Lagos State. And this is not about the recent busting of a suspected book haram hide-out but the harassment of female Muslim students who have chosen freely to use the hijab. Two of these students were flogged recently by their Principals and this caused an outcry from the Muslim societies around the country but Lagos in particular. I hear that a petition has been written to the Lagos State House of Assembly by MURIC (Muslim Rights Concern) and an ad-hoc committee has been set-up by the House to consider passing a law banning or authorizing the use of hijab. Some argue that Nigeria is a secular State and the State should not be seen passing laws that seem to promote a particular religion but the protagonist of this line of argument fail to admit that most of the systems we practice today were from colonial masters who were Christians. The supposed “secularism” is in favour of one religion more than the other. I still say that the use of the Gregorian calendar (January-December) and observing weekends on Saturday and Sunday (which are Sabbath days depending on the church denomination) have their roots in Christianity. The fact that we have lived this way for long does not make them secular. What is this secularism “sef”? Really, it is a word that I am yet to fully grasp its meanings. Does it mean we should forget about all religions or we should accept all religions? If we were to forget about all religions, then in Nigeria we should not have holidays such as Easter, Christmas, Eid-el-Fitr, Eid-ul-Adha etc. We should only have Independence Day, Workers Day, and Democracy Day since these holidays seem not to be attached to any religion. If it means to allow all religions, then the worshippers of obatala, sango, oshun etc should also have their public holidays.

I think we only deceive ourselves if we say Nigeria is a secular nation whatever that means. Islam and Christianity are the main religions in Nigeria and I think we have accepted that in the way we are already set up as a Nation. We have public holidays for both religions; we try to make a balance with both religions when making political appointments and even at state functions we usually have a Pastor and Imam offer a prayer. It is high time we recognized that in order to stop the frequent friction between Islam and Christianity in Nigeria, we need to ensure that the members of each religion can practice their religion to the fullest without taking away the rights of the other to enjoy same.

Now back to showing so much religion without internalizing the values. While the efforts to ensure that the right to use hijab is guaranteed are being led mainly by MURIC, there seems to be some smaller groups not organized under MURIC calling out people for protests. This idea where every Muslim becomes his own government, every Masjid issues its own fatwa was not the way Islam was organized during the time of the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him). We had organization and course of actions and decisions were taken by the leadership. We have forgotten that we are supposed to organize ourselves under one banner as one Nation without tribe or ethnicity having one leader.

Before the fall of the Ottoman Caliphate in the 1920s, Islam was very powerful and there was order. All the Muslims across Middle East, Eastern Europe and North Africa were under one rule. Though not exactly, just as the 1.2billion Catholics all over the world consider the Pope as their leader, our goal is to strive to have back only one source of leadership but if we can’t be organized in small Lagos then we still have a long way to go. If we still had the Caliphate, we probably would not have Boko Haram, Ansaru, JAMBS etc in small Nigeria reigning terror on us all. Such elements would most likely have been taken care of. To my non-Muslim friends, the idea of an Islamic State is not to dominate the world or to force everyone to accept Islam. It is meant to provide order among Muslims and help Muslims to be better Muslims. In fact, in the Islamic States that have existed in the past the rights of Christians and Jews were guaranteed.

And going back again to the use of hijab, many Muslims seem to rush at anyone whom they feel has persecuted Islam or Muslims while they themselves are yet to internalize the religion. Though today at the mention of hijab, the Islamic head covering is what comes easily to mind but in the real sense it is the covering of one’s unclothedness. In Islam, all of a woman’s body is her unclothedness except her face and her palms. So when I see a Muslim woman that has covered her head but wears a short sleeve or a knee length skirt, I shrug. I also feel uncomfortable when I enter a bus with women that use hijab but when they get angered they curse the bus conductor or fellow commuters. What happened to the commandments of Allah and the Prophet (Peace be upon Him) that we should remain silent if we have nothing good to say, that we should not argue much because it breeds enmity, and if we have to argue a little it should be in a beautiful manner.

Why is it that we cry foul only when some rights seem to be taken from us and we do nothing over the ones that are in our full control? I believe when Muslims decide to be more Muslims and practice as much of our religion as we can control, Allah will help us with the other ones and even non-Muslims we get to understand Islam more and will appreciate that we are in no competition with them but only want to practice our religion the way it ought to. People we understand that Islam is more that a religion but a way of life. I will like to share some personal experiences but I need to warn that I am not trying to portray myself to be holy or cool. I am still striving to improve my relationship with Allah.

There was a lady who on several occasions at the canteen had commended the way I eat. She said, “my wife will love me because I finish everything in the plate.” To her, it was my habit but for me it was a religious exercise. In one of the sayings of the Prophet, he said the stomach is the worst vessel to fill. He says if we have to eat, we should eat a little, fill one-third of it with food, another third with water and leave the last third for air. It was also reported that the Prophet eats slowly, will never leave a grain in his plate, will never complain about a food but leave it if he didn't like it. In order to emulate this practice of the Prophet, I start from the point of ordering the food. I make sure I ask for what I can finish and I try to finish it except rarely when something is wrong with the food. This habit is one capable of strengthening the love between the rich and the poor because if the rich is not wasteful there will be more for the poor, capable of strengthening the love between mothers and their children, wives and their husbands.

I will tell you another story. When I was in the University, there was a girl I liked but I couldn’t ask her out because there was another brother who was already doing same. When I told one of my closest friends (a non-Muslim) who was also my room-mate, he didn't understand why I will place such a restriction on myself. I should “play my game” and allow the other guy to play his too and let the lady decide. Afterall, she is yet to say yes to the other guy. I tried to explain to my friend that it was a restriction placed by my religion and it is meant to avoid enmity among brothers. I told him if I had to make an approach, I will have to be sure that she had turned down my brother. And as if God was going to make an example of him, someone whom he had been telling about a girl he was trying to ask out was also trying to ask out the same lady behind his back. This particular guy will go back to the lady and tell her all my friend had told him about her, how she’s forming to be difficult and how he was going to leave her if she doesn't respond positively. When my friend got to know about this, he was so shocked and furious. I then reminded him about the restriction I placed on myself but rather than accept the beauty of Islam, he tried to make a distinction between my case and his. Luckily for him, today he is married to that lady.

There was also a day while at Unilag, the call for Asr prayer had been made at 4pm and a room-mate (a non-Muslim) was surprised that I had not risen up to go and pray and he asked why I wasn't going to pray. I told him that I had prayed Asr together with Zuhr at 1pm. I explained to him that Islam permits us to join Zuhr and Asr at the time of Zuhr if there was a change of weather for instance rain. This was to prevent a situation where people won’t be able to come to say their Asr in congregation if the rain didn’t stop on time. For him, he appreciated how practicable Islam is and for me I felt if I wasn't saying my prayers regularly he wouldn't have reminded me of it.

There are a lot of Islamic virtues which are totally in our control: modesty, truthfulness, trustworthiness, promptness etc. I hear that some years ago in Port-Harcourt, if you wanted to do business people will tell you to look for an Alhaji due to the virtues they had then. I do not think it is the same now. Today Alhajis now swindle Alhajis, Muslims (including me) get late to work, cheat their employers, are wasteful when they know it’s the company paying. Imagine how much good it will do to the religion if the Company finds out that the expense bill is always low when they send a Muslim on an assignment and they realize that it is not just his habit but the habit of all members of his religion, that he will eat moderately and he will not take alcohol which is usually expensive.

Do we still make our wives to change their father’s name to ours when in fact they should keep their fathers’? If you die and she has to remarry, she changes her name again. How often would she have to change her name?

The more Muslims become Muslim, the more non-Muslims will get to appreciate the beauty of Islam and the more Allah will make it easy for us to get what we ask. We need to go back to the golden era when we were role models. Muslims were known not to be idle; they invested their time in an activity that will earn them reward either in this world or the hereafter. We were pioneers in medicine, navigation, arithmetic, literature, archaeology. We bequeathed the world with Arabic numerals which today can easily handle large numbers and several decimal places which would have been very complex with Roman numerals. Even the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him) commanded us to seek knowledge as far as China, China being the farthest place known at that time so it is strange that some “Muslims” will say to seek education is forbidden.

While Muslims try to become better Muslims I definitely want a society that guarantees religious rights such as the use of hijab by Muslim women without fear of discrimination. On a final note, today I work with a Company that permits me to register only one wife. I will like to see a day when I can register up to four that my religion has permitted even if I decide to stick with one. This right just like many others does not take anything away from the man who has decided to stick with one. Does it?

I need explantation of these right up!

2 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by jhydebaba(m): 12:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
Yawns!! The first time I commented here I was banned. Maybe the second comment is going to earn a life ban, who knows Anyway, who's stopping muslim from becoming muslim Become whatever u like joor!!!
Did I even read the article I just need a ban.

5 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by ebamma(m): 12:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
Good write up, but it seems muslims don't read the biography of their prophet muhammad.

6 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by devour129: 12:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
I know market should sell itself but on the other hand,you can still defend your market if you have people trying to spoil it but in this case before God and man you guys are bad market.thats my humble opinion and I say this with love.no amount of re-packing can sell this product.buy at your own risk.

2 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by ugotuf(m): 1:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
REPUTATION CAN NEVER BE CORRECTED WITH PROPAGANDA.AND BESIDES,A GOOD WINE NEEDS NO BUSHING

2 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Sibrah: 1:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
Yes oh! let them be, so others won't have any reason being alive.

This is just a digression and not the main subject of my note. Today, a religious crisis is brewing in Lagos State. And this is not about the recent busting of a suspected book haram hide-out but the harassment of female Muslim students who have chosen freely to use the hijab. Two of these students were flogged recently by their Principals and this caused an outcry from the Muslim societies around the country but Lagos in particular. I hear that a petition has been written to the Lagos State House of Assembly by MURIC (Muslim Rights Concern) and an ad-hoc committee has been set-up by the House to consider passing a law banning or authorizing the use of hijab. Some argue that Nigeria is a secular State and the State should not be seen passing laws that seem to promote a particular religion but the protagonist of this line of argument fail to admit that most of the systems we practice today were from colonial masters who were Christians.
Did the colonial masters copy and paste their religion into the laws they left with us?

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by esn1(f): 1:01pm On Apr 05, 2013

Nice write up, I pray muslims practice this, and if possible other religions too.I read this all through and truthfully its not offensive. I am a Catholic but I have great muslim friends and colleagues. May God bless us all and give us the grace to love and tolerate each other, Amen.

14 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Emmy35(f): 1:02pm On Apr 05, 2013
This article is on point!!!!! I'm not a muslim but i enjoyed d article and even changed it 2 fit christianity. Nice 1

3 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by mangbede: 1:06pm On Apr 05, 2013
nice writeup,but reports shows dat religious leaders fuel hatred among d 2 religion tru radical teachins.....

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by ukuba: 1:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
this thread in itself is a cospiracy, its propaganda. how come people dont have right to their own opinion, should u say anything wrong about islam, it will be deleted. how many post already deleted? and someone wants us to beleive they are loving people?

6 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Sibrah: 1:17pm On Apr 05, 2013
mangbede: nice writeup,but reports shows dat religious leaders fuel hatred among d 2 religion tru radical teachins.....
d 2 religion? which two religion are you referring to?
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by BetaThings: 1:18pm On Apr 05, 2013
cpa-cash:

No punishment is attached to Plateau declaration now.

So what does it mean then to be a Christian state
And is that what makes the difference
So we can declare a state an Amadioha state and Christians will be quiet provided there is no punishment?
Was there going to be punishment for Ialamic Banking?
Were people going to be compelled to open accounts?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Forex Trade: Haram Or Halal? / How To Deal With Emotional Challenges And Hardships / Why Is Sex Regarded As Something That Is Not Pure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.