Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Let Muslims Be Muslim - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Let Muslims Be Muslim (17207 Views)

Muslims Be Careful / NL Muslims, Be The Judge Of Your Own Moderator...lol... / Can Muslims Be This Kind To Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by 1shortblackboy: 1:22pm On Apr 05, 2013
Abeg wetin ein talk ? the tin 2 long make person help me sumarise abeg undecided

4 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Samsantos9: 1:23pm On Apr 05, 2013
If only muslims could cry against violence against christians like the way the cry about their Hijab.
And About this islamic state if christians want to declare Nigeria a Christian state wont muslims oppose it?

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Arcard(m): 1:25pm On Apr 05, 2013
i want ds thread closed cuz of secular reason
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 05, 2013
Muslims and their crisis of identity. They will set the world in flames from complex.

4 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Sicozone(m): 1:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
Jumaah mubaraq.....
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Amoshie(m): 1:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
BROTHER MAY GOD REWARD U FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE D WRITE UP WAS SO "delicious" THAT I COULDN'T STOP READING TALKLESS OF HOW ENLIGHTENING ITS MAY GOD GIVE US D UNDERSTANDING.

2 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by saolab: 1:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
If we need peace Islam and Christianity should be abolish in this country or give each religion it dues. In Nigeria we all knew the truth but we keep on deceiving ourselves. If religion is our problems, then let us draft our constitution from Bible and Quran, let forget about colonial constitution we keep on recycle that ineffective for us. There wIll be no peace where one religion is being place on the other. use your brain to think about it and be fair to yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
Summary pls.
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Ogundale(m): 1:39pm On Apr 05, 2013
Ok oh we hear. Nice one.
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by GEJTILL2019(m): 1:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
GEJ FOR 2015

2 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by SimplySEA(m): 1:53pm On Apr 05, 2013
Nice write-Up! D truth is religions in themselves has their limitations! Many things written were written in d accepted world of then! In d world of Today, d many of d preachings of then would only bring terror! Islam as a religion has its flaws, and so does christianity! Even d terrorists of today's world would quote passages from d koran. Armed robbers would even pray in Jesus name before going for operation! So what are we talkin about? These msgs hold firmly in yesterday's world dan today's.
Check out d pics below. U'd understand.

However as late Tafawa Balewa puts it, "let's understand our diff and stay together"! That's d only solution to peace in this country!

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Abbey2sam(m): 1:54pm On Apr 05, 2013
Emmy35: This article is on point!!!!! I'm not a muslim but i enjoyed d article and even changed it 2 fit christianity. Nice 1

Mind you @Emmy35, what has light got to do with darkneSs? Nothing
This pple talk about peace buh fail to practice it,
They always feel bitter.
They always feel cheated
They always respond or retaliate to unnecessary tinz

As far as I'm concern the op is trying to justify the muslim, and they are unjustifiable

6 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by phillip001(m): 1:55pm On Apr 05, 2013
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam.
this on itself is against Christianity,so one san say offensive things to Christians,

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Abbey2sam(m): 1:57pm On Apr 05, 2013
Arcard: i want ds thread closed cuz of secular reason

Na your father be seun wey get nairaland.

Nairaland is owned by oluwaseun osewa alade
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by phillip001(m): 1:59pm On Apr 05, 2013
Nairaland is owned by oluwaseun osewa alade
a Muslim abi
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by brentkruge: 2:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
You see, letting Muslims to be Muslims is not a problem.

The problem many non Muslims have is that there are some Muslims who think others have no right to live, exist, or even worship. Letting those Muslims to be Muslims would mean that others would have to disappear. How fair is that?

Letting Muslims be Muslims will have to start from these ones as they are the ones causing the general mistrust of Muslims by others.

I just hope my post doesnt get hidden!
sad

6 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by akandejames: 2:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
in the end, everyone will know where he belongs cos the history of our world till date is just playing itself out like Lords of the Ring 1, 2, 3. In summary, whether its good or bad market, i read the article and it reflects substance. Nigeria is a place where mediocrity rules so i am not surprised at the mediocre response on some of our people to this beautiful writeup as its already evident in the rot on our land and the world at large. Anyways, i leave you with this:

[Qur'án 009:032] They (the disbelievers, the Jews and the Christians) want to extinguish Allâh's Light (with which Muhammad has been sent – Islâmic Monotheism) with their mouths, but Allâh will not allow except that His Light should be perfected even though the Kâfirûn (disbelievers) hate (it).

6 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by oludayomi(f): 2:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
Pls am nt against muslim but my broda most of dis hijah users does nt hav charaters dat goes wth it ans pls in every schools ɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣ð offices dere are laws if Ɣφΰ cnt obey by it y go, ι̥ belive dere are schools dat accept hijah ɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣ð offices too. The two gals has disobey ƌ̲̣̣̣̥ school authority ɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣ð av too »ßε punished. Å corper was sent out of camp 4 disobedience in Ogun. If there is å law it has 2 »ßε fflw. Dat is ƌ̲̣̣̣̥ standard 4 all

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Samsantos9: 2:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
akande.james:
in the end, everyone will know where he belongs cos the history of our world till date is just playing itself out like Lords of the Ring 1, 2, 3. In summary, whether its good or bad market, i read the article and it reflects substance. Nigeria is a place where mediocrity rules so i am not surprised at the mediocre response on some of our people to this beautiful writeup as its already evident in the rot on our land and the world at large. Anyways, i leave you with this:

[Qur'án 009:032] They (the disbelievers, the Jews and the Christians) want to extinguish Allâh's Light (with which Muhammad has been sent – Islâmic Monotheism) with their mouths, but Allâh will not allow except that His Light should be perfected even though the Kâfirûn (disbelievers) hate (it).
I jews and some christians practise monotheism.
BTW I don't know why Muhammed loves refering to christians a Jews if it were to be the other way around you would be crying foul.

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by ChristKid1: 2:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
BetaThings: .

Christians are the most insincere people in this country when it comes to the issue of secularity.

A

2011 - Christians spoke loudly against Islamic Banking. Their reasons:
1. Nigeria is a secular country. Some people are trying to Islamise the country
2. It will further polarise the country. Boko Haram will take advantage of it
3. There will be call for "Amadioha" banking, "Oro" Banking etc
Please note that Islamic Banking does not cost the government money. I set it up with my money, CBN approves its licence and regulates its operations

2012 - the FCTA using Federal Govt Money built a National Christmas Tree. It was commissioned by Dame Patience Jonathan, First lady. Cardinal Onayekan was there. Ministers, members of diplomatic corps were also there

1. Now was that a constitutional act under a secular constitution?
2. Would it not polarise the country? Would Boko Haram be happy?
3. Would there be no call for "Amadioha" or "Oro" National Tree?
The FCTA using federal government money sponsored millions of muslims pilgrims to saudi arabia. Upon getting there they were arrested by their arab masters and packed in jail like sardines for not being good enough muslims. FCTA again using federal govt money(oil money from christian states) sponsored delegates which would include speaker of house of assembly to negotiate their release like they were some kind of criminals. That would make it 2. Not mention other things FG uses government money to do like buying sallah rams, building almajiri model schools that teach islam, sponsoring mass marriages for muslims etc. All these things are done with money from Christian states. Why are you so ungrateful?
.B
Zamfara declared Sharia. Every opportunity was taken to criticise it and raise alarm
Plateau state declared itself a Christian state. Nobody has uttered any word about Christianisation.
Saudi Arabia a model sharia state doesn't allow other religions to practice their religion openly, women rights are infringed on. They can't drive, move around without male company, they're forced to wear ninja attire or risk beating from moral police etc. Is that what you want for Zamfarans?

C
Osun state changes the appellation of the state from Livinspring to Virtuous, CAN says the Gov wants to Islamise the state. They want an explanation of the change
Now what is the argument? CAN says that Christians regard Jesus as Livingspring, perhaps that is why the Muslim Gov wants to change the name, although some people have argued that Livingspring refers to Osun river

But let us look at this. If a state has a name that has Christian connotation, is it not an attempt at Christianisation? Did Muslims protest then? Or is it constitutional in Nigeria to Christianise a state but unlawful to Islamise it? Was an explanation given to people when it was so given the name with Christian connotation?
CAN said that? I had no idea living spring was Jesus trademark and virtuous was Muhammad thing. shocked
D
To be fair, CAN also states that the state schedule meetings for Sundays when people should be going to Church. Maybe that is unfair
But the state schedules meetings for Fridays when people should be going to the Mosque
Maybe we should make Friday workfree and go to work on Saturdays
That way Muslims don't have to take permission from work to go and pray on Fridays; Christians don't take permission from work to go to Church on Sundays
And at least we would have solved the problem of that girl (and her likes) who was beaten for putting on the hijab just outside the school gate on her way to Jumat service on a Friday
Yea muslims can do whatever they like on friday. I don't support the beating of the girl for wearing hijab. Shior! tongue

4 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by damas11111(m): 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
Very well written. Full of substance and lessons for those that are wise.
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by vuduchild(m): 2:24pm On Apr 05, 2013
Islam is a religion of half truths. They lack tolerance and it shiws in their actions whenever u crticise their religion. Maybe it is d handwork of the bigots and extremists amongst them, but hell..they are all into it. People say Nigeria is a corrupt country, and it is the people that makes a country i.e the inhabitants and citizens of Nigeria are corrupt. Depsite the fact that not everyone in Nigeria is corrupt. Islam is also seen in the same light. When one hears the word " Muslims", what comes to mind ? Terrorists,suicide bombers,extremists e.t.c. The thing is, not all muslims are terrorists and co, but the ones that are, put the others in bad light and the quiet ones have come to potray the attitudes in the slightest provocation. As human beings, we Re prone to provocation,abuse and sorts. Not everyone will believe what u believe, not everyone will accept you for what or who u are,so learn to tolerate. If your religion is holy and righteous or whatever light u wish to paint it in, your God the one u worship will never and has never told his or her worshippers to fight for him.

Muslims "LACK TOLERANCE",i don't know if it is their religion or it is in sometin dey eat, they will hold u at the jugular at d slightest provocation. Churches werw burnt in the north, bombed and destroyed, christians die constantly in the north, and muslims roam free in d south and middle belt. If christians in the south,lacked tolerance, hmmm, Nigeria would have disintigrated. But no matter what d muslims does, no matter the provocation, christians will never retaliate. If we do, we all can kiss Nigeria goodbye. The boko boys knows this,.and that is why their strategy will always fail. We will not retaliate and d devil u worhip may cry. No mattwr how much u re-brand islam, people will all over the world who are none muslims, will continue to see islam and muslims in bad light, because they will continue to get their message across in the most heinous way. So, whose fault is it,if nuslims are being criticised and whatever ?? So, muslims should be muslims by acquiring the virtue known as " Tolerance " most muslims lacks this. Saying whatever i like is my fundamental right and if it offends some people, it is their problem. They can choose to ignore me and do something productive with their lives.

5 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by esn1(f): 2:24pm On Apr 05, 2013
ukuba: this thread in itself is a cospiracy, its propaganda. how come people dont have right to their own opinion, should u say anything wrong about islam, it will be deleted. how many post already deleted? and someone wants us to beleive they are loving people?

Please our dear moderators , you people should look into this. I saw it and looked the other way, not every1 will cos its obvious and glaring. Just like i said earlier, we should be tolerant about each others opinion. The Christin threads don't have such warning
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam.

Both in truth, the christains are more tolerant. I think we should start living our words and not posting things beautiful but are not practiceable. Gracias.

5 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by buklan4realyah(f): 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
BetaThings: A post full of insight, lessons and logic

There is nothing better for Muslims than to take the advice to set enviable examples - Honesty, civility, excellent work ethics, academic industry, non-violence etc. There is nothing to add really

Following the poster's advice will increase the weight of our voice when speak on issues including those "popular" trends that go against our religion. People will know that "Muslims don't fool around" and when they speak they are serious

As for the societal issues, I have some things to point out

Christians are the most insincere people in this country when it comes to the issue of secularity

NA WAOOOOOOO! BROS` UR OWN TOO MUCH........God is not after all dis crap. which ever one
u beliv,take it with all ur hrt, forget about odas, do ur own part,pray for those u beliv dey are
still in darkness. it is not about religion "IT IS ABOUT U URSEF"

A

Please note that Islamic Banking does not cost the government money. I set it up with my money, CBN approves its licence and regulates its operations

2012 - the FCTA using Federal Govt Money built a National Christmas Tree. It was commissioned by Dame Patience Jonathan, First lady. Cardinal Onayekan was there. Ministers, members of diplomatic corps were also there

1. Now was that a constitutional act under a secular constitution?
2. Would it not polarise the country? Would Boko Haram be happy?
3. Would there be no call for "Amadioha" or "Oro" National Tree?

B
Zamfara declared Sharia. Every opportunity was taken to criticise it and raise alarm
Plateau state declared itself a Christian state. Nobody has uttered any word about Christianisation

C
Osun state changes the appellation of the state from Livinspring to Virtuous, CAN says the Gov wants to Islamise the state. They want an explanation of the change
Now what is the argument? CAN says that Christians regard Jesus as Livingspring, perhaps that is why the Muslim Gov wants to change the name, although some people have argued that Livingspring refers to Osun river

But let us look at this. If a state has a name that has Christian connotation, is it not an attempt at Christianisation? Did Muslims protest then? Or is it constitutional in Nigeria to Christianise a state but unlawful to Islamise it? Was an explanation given to people when it was so given the name with Christian connotation?

D
To be fair, CAN also states that the state schedule meetings for Sundays when people should be going to Church. Maybe that is unfair
But the state schedules meetings for Fridays when people should be going to the Mosque
Maybe we should make Friday workfree and go to work on Saturdays
That way Muslims don't have to take permission from work to go and pray on Fridays; Christians don't take permission from work to go to Church on Sundays
And at least we would have solved the problem of that girl (and her likes) who was beaten for putting on the hijab just outside the school gate on her way to Jumat service on a Friday
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by dopesidez: 2:40pm On Apr 05, 2013

Nigerian's are just scared because sometimes moslems have a tendency to be violent and domineering. can't blame us.
since my life i have never heard anywhere that Christians come together to cause violence for any reason.

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
Let Muslims be Muslim?... But Muslims would not let Christians be Christians! Muslim terrorists and thugs bomb, kill and maim Christians in their houses and churches and even the high status Muslims like El-Rufai, Buhari, Atiku see nothing wrong when innocent Christians are killed?...

5 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Akshow: 2:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
bbpreye.:

I need explantation of these right up!
So you quote the whole article cos you need explanation abi? Are You daft and lack comprehension skill? Who is your teacher here? Common read it now before i slap you

1 Like

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by hayubee(m): 2:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
Jazak Allahu broda 4 U̶̲̥̅̊Я post
I c some ppl sayin Islam is a violent religion just because of what muslims ok let's be logical Rev. King who killed his church members how many ppl has blamed d christian 4 it, the crusaders that killed innocent ppl all in d name of religion who has blamed christianity 4 that. U see der are black sheep in every community don't judge islam by what muslims do judge by d holy quran nd hadith.

4 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by ckkris: 2:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
sureteeboy: Only God knows why most muslims are half followers of muhammad. It's such a pity my post will be hidden if i post link 4 u guys to learn more,but u can send me a mail and learn about moderate muslims
A moderate moslem, like most Yoruba moslems, are considered infidels in the north, only because these Yorubas are not willing to massacre innocent people.

2 Likes

Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Brisingr(m): 2:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
MY-CPA-CASH:
The last time I checked Nigeria's constitution, there is still Freedom of Religion.
[/b]your right to religion freedom is an illusion nigeria really only recognise two and not in equal proportion depend on location.[b]
Re: Let Muslims Be Muslim by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
tbaba1234: This piece was written by my very good friend and beloved brother as a note on facebook. He has a nairaland account so i'm sharing it using his nairaland username.

Let Muslims Be Muslim
by Ajii20 (https://www.nairaland.com/ajii20)

So much religion, little godliness! This was recently the personal message of one of my Blackberry contacts. Though I didn't ask what the situation was, I have had several experiences that I need not ask him before agreeing with him. A lady who once tried to introduce her religion to me and told me how “cool” I was and how I can’t be a true Muslim because I wasn't “violent” was the same person who when she needed money asked if I could help her by bending the rules of a Call for Tender process. Many of our Contractors usually register more than one Company or have influence in more than one Company so she would suggest to me the Companies to invite for the Tender together with her main Company. In the end, she will be the one submitting all the quotations under different names so whichever Company is awarded the Tender, it’s a win-win for her. In her mind, she was only helping herself and this has nothing to do with morality, ethics or godliness. I was also at the immigration service recently to renew my passport and despite the effort of some officers to ensure orderliness, there were some individuals of course with the collusion of some officers who try to bend the rules and jump the queue. Whichever religion we belong to, we seem to be more focused on an outward display of religion without internalizing the values of the religion. Our cars bear different stickers of praises, we place the holy books and rosaries or tesbihs on our dashboards and there are religious houses at every nook and corner of our streets. Yet there is so much immorality and corruption that pervade the land. We all want to have our way all cost, be rich through any means and we probably believe we can launder such filthy lucre by donating a part of it to “God”.

This is just a digression and not the main subject of my note. Today, a religious crisis is brewing in Lagos State. And this is not about the recent busting of a suspected book haram hide-out but the harassment of female Muslim students who have chosen freely to use the hijab. Two of these students were flogged recently by their Principals and this caused an outcry from the Muslim societies around the country but Lagos in particular. I hear that a petition has been written to the Lagos State House of Assembly by MURIC (Muslim Rights Concern) and an ad-hoc committee has been set-up by the House to consider passing a law banning or authorizing the use of hijab. Some argue that Nigeria is a secular State and the State should not be seen passing laws that seem to promote a particular religion but the protagonist of this line of argument fail to admit that most of the systems we practice today were from colonial masters who were Christians. The supposed “secularism” is in favour of one religion more than the other. I still say that the use of the Gregorian calendar (January-December) and observing weekends on Saturday and Sunday (which are Sabbath days depending on the church denomination) have their roots in Christianity. The fact that we have lived this way for long does not make them secular. What is this secularism “sef”? Really, it is a word that I am yet to fully grasp its meanings. Does it mean we should forget about all religions or we should accept all religions? If we were to forget about all religions, then in Nigeria we should not have holidays such as Easter, Christmas, Eid-el-Fitr, Eid-ul-Adha etc. We should only have Independence Day, Workers Day, and Democracy Day since these holidays seem not to be attached to any religion. If it means to allow all religions, then the worshippers of obatala, sango, oshun etc should also have their public holidays.

I think we only deceive ourselves if we say Nigeria is a secular nation whatever that means. Islam and Christianity are the main religions in Nigeria and I think we have accepted that in the way we are already set up as a Nation. We have public holidays for both religions; we try to make a balance with both religions when making political appointments and even at state functions we usually have a Pastor and Imam offer a prayer. It is high time we recognized that in order to stop the frequent friction between Islam and Christianity in Nigeria, we need to ensure that the members of each religion can practice their religion to the fullest without taking away the rights of the other to enjoy same.

Now back to showing so much religion without internalizing the values. While the efforts to ensure that the right to use hijab is guaranteed are being led mainly by MURIC, there seems to be some smaller groups not organized under MURIC calling out people for protests. This idea where every Muslim becomes his own government, every Masjid issues its own fatwa was not the way Islam was organized during the time of the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him). We had organization and course of actions and decisions were taken by the leadership. We have forgotten that we are supposed to organize ourselves under one banner as one Nation without tribe or ethnicity having one leader.

Before the fall of the Ottoman Caliphate in the 1920s, Islam was very powerful and there was order. All the Muslims across Middle East, Eastern Europe and North Africa were under one rule. Though not exactly, just as the 1.2billion Catholics all over the world consider the Pope as their leader, our goal is to strive to have back only one source of leadership but if we can’t be organized in small Lagos then we still have a long way to go. If we still had the Caliphate, we probably would not have Boko Haram, Ansaru, JAMBS etc in small Nigeria reigning terror on us all. Such elements would most likely have been taken care of. To my non-Muslim friends, the idea of an Islamic State is not to dominate the world or to force everyone to accept Islam. It is meant to provide order among Muslims and help Muslims to be better Muslims. In fact, in the Islamic States that have existed in the past the rights of Christians and Jews were guaranteed.

And going back again to the use of hijab, many Muslims seem to rush at anyone whom they feel has persecuted Islam or Muslims while they themselves are yet to internalize the religion. Though today at the mention of hijab, the Islamic head covering is what comes easily to mind but in the real sense it is the covering of one’s unclothedness. In Islam, all of a woman’s body is her unclothedness except her face and her palms. So when I see a Muslim woman that has covered her head but wears a short sleeve or a knee length skirt, I shrug. I also feel uncomfortable when I enter a bus with women that use hijab but when they get angered they curse the bus conductor or fellow commuters. What happened to the commandments of Allah and the Prophet (Peace be upon Him) that we should remain silent if we have nothing good to say, that we should not argue much because it breeds enmity, and if we have to argue a little it should be in a beautiful manner.

Why is it that we cry foul only when some rights seem to be taken from us and we do nothing over the ones that are in our full control? I believe when Muslims decide to be more Muslims and practice as much of our religion as we can control, Allah will help us with the other ones and even non-Muslims we get to understand Islam more and will appreciate that we are in no competition with them but only want to practice our religion the way it ought to. People we understand that Islam is more that a religion but a way of life. I will like to share some personal experiences but I need to warn that I am not trying to portray myself to be holy or cool. I am still striving to improve my relationship with Allah.

There was a lady who on several occasions at the canteen had commended the way I eat. She said, “my wife will love me because I finish everything in the plate.” To her, it was my habit but for me it was a religious exercise. In one of the sayings of the Prophet, he said the stomach is the worst vessel to fill. He says if we have to eat, we should eat a little, fill one-third of it with food, another third with water and leave the last third for air. It was also reported that the Prophet eats slowly, will never leave a grain in his plate, will never complain about a food but leave it if he didn't like it. In order to emulate this practice of the Prophet, I start from the point of ordering the food. I make sure I ask for what I can finish and I try to finish it except rarely when something is wrong with the food. This habit is one capable of strengthening the love between the rich and the poor because if the rich is not wasteful there will be more for the poor, capable of strengthening the love between mothers and their children, wives and their husbands.

I will tell you another story. When I was in the University, there was a girl I liked but I couldn’t ask her out because there was another brother who was already doing same. When I told one of my closest friends (a non-Muslim) who was also my room-mate, he didn't understand why I will place such a restriction on myself. I should “play my game” and allow the other guy to play his too and let the lady decide. Afterall, she is yet to say yes to the other guy. I tried to explain to my friend that it was a restriction placed by my religion and it is meant to avoid enmity among brothers. I told him if I had to make an approach, I will have to be sure that she had turned down my brother. And as if God was going to make an example of him, someone whom he had been telling about a girl he was trying to ask out was also trying to ask out the same lady behind his back. This particular guy will go back to the lady and tell her all my friend had told him about her, how she’s forming to be difficult and how he was going to leave her if she doesn't respond positively. When my friend got to know about this, he was so shocked and furious. I then reminded him about the restriction I placed on myself but rather than accept the beauty of Islam, he tried to make a distinction between my case and his. Luckily for him, today he is married to that lady.

There was also a day while at Unilag, the call for Asr prayer had been made at 4pm and a room-mate (a non-Muslim) was surprised that I had not risen up to go and pray and he asked why I wasn't going to pray. I told him that I had prayed Asr together with Zuhr at 1pm. I explained to him that Islam permits us to join Zuhr and Asr at the time of Zuhr if there was a change of weather for instance rain. This was to prevent a situation where people won’t be able to come to say their Asr in congregation if the rain didn’t stop on time. For him, he appreciated how practicable Islam is and for me I felt if I wasn't saying my prayers regularly he wouldn't have reminded me of it.

There are a lot of Islamic virtues which are totally in our control: modesty, truthfulness, trustworthiness, promptness etc. I hear that some years ago in Port-Harcourt, if you wanted to do business people will tell you to look for an Alhaji due to the virtues they had then. I do not think it is the same now. Today Alhajis now swindle Alhajis, Muslims (including me) get late to work, cheat their employers, are wasteful when they know it’s the company paying. Imagine how much good it will do to the religion if the Company finds out that the expense bill is always low when they send a Muslim on an assignment and they realize that it is not just his habit but the habit of all members of his religion, that he will eat moderately and he will not take alcohol which is usually expensive.

Do we still make our wives to change their father’s name to ours when in fact they should keep their fathers’? If you die and she has to remarry, she changes her name again. How often would she have to change her name?

The more Muslims become Muslim, the more non-Muslims will get to appreciate the beauty of Islam and the more Allah will make it easy for us to get what we ask. We need to go back to the golden era when we were role models. Muslims were known not to be idle; they invested their time in an activity that will earn them reward either in this world or the hereafter. We were pioneers in medicine, navigation, arithmetic, literature, archaeology. We bequeathed the world with Arabic numerals which today can easily handle large numbers and several decimal places which would have been very complex with Roman numerals. Even the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him) commanded us to seek knowledge as far as China, China being the farthest place known at that time so it is strange that some “Muslims” will say to seek education is forbidden.

While Muslims try to become better Muslims I definitely want a society that guarantees religious rights such as the use of hijab by Muslim women without fear of discrimination. On a final note, today I work with a Company that permits me to register only one wife. I will like to see a day when I can register up to four that my religion has permitted even if I decide to stick with one. This right just like many others does not take anything away from the man who has decided to stick with one. Does it?

Be whatever you wanna be
Profess who you are from the rooftops
Worship whomever you wanna worship but please allow us to live and exist in peace
That is all we ask
Allow us to practice our faith or non faith the way we choose without molestation and without threats to our lives
That is our plea and the plea from the rest of the world to you and yours
Please help us spread that message
Thank you

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Forex Trade: Haram Or Halal? / Medical Benefits Of Salah (prayer) / How Does Islam Handle Witches & Wizards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.