Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,314 members, 7,836,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Should I Return To Nigeria? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should I Return To Nigeria? (24914 Views)

Anyaoku Urges Return To Regional Govt / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Daniel Can’t Return To Pdp –obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by dokunbam(m): 12:23am On Apr 05, 2013
dey come your papa country
save your pikin before dem lost for abroad
Some of my brothers pikin dem are lost for USA, Uk and soon
they cant even eat our food not to talk of speaking our language
so come home
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:29am On Apr 05, 2013
dokunbam: dey come your papa country
save your pikin before dem lost for abroad
Some of my brothers pikin dem are lost for USA, Uk and soon
they cant even eat our food not to talk of speaking our language
so come home

They should stay there, we will import Mali and Chad people to boost our population.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 12:35am On Apr 05, 2013
I no know book:

You are a very wicked man to paint Nigeria so rosy in your advice to the Op. There is nothing wrong with one coming back to his father land to establish him or her self, despite the challenges Nigeria faces. I, for instance, wants to come back and help myself as well as the economy. Nigeria is one of the best place to turn ones money many times over if one is careful and know what he or she is doing. But to paint Nigeria in the manner that you have just done without emphasizing its herculean challenges, is to say the least, very unfortunate.

Now Op, Nigeria has so many challenges that are peculiar to Nigeria. Forget about people telling you that the security situation in Naija is comparable to that of the western countries. It's a big freaking lie. Anybody saying that probably has not stepped outside of naija. Quite agreed, western countries have their own security challenges, but those challenges are in no way shape or form comparable to that of Naija. They are light years ahead of naija in every ramifications. I will use myself as an example. I live in New York city. There has never been a day I went to bed fearing that armed robbers would invade my house and attack me while I'm sleeping. I can wake up at 1am in the night and decide to drive to DC for example, and won't be afraid of encountering armed robbers on the way. If I'm in any situation that I consider to be a threat to my life, all I will do is to dial 911 and police will be there within minutes. Mind you, this is not to say that crimes don't happen in the big apple, it does. But every crime is investigated and culprits punished, if caught, and they do catch so many of them.

Now, what of Naija? This is a different case entirely. It is nightmarish. Right from the airport, you have to be extremely careful, lest you be kidnapped. No matter where you live, you have to sleep with one eye open because of armed robbers, and they are merciless. What about those being paid to protect us? Some of them are the robbers and themselves or work hand in hand with the robbers. Pray not to find yourself in a life or death situation, because if you do, and call them, they will come 3 hrs after the event, and if they come, they may end up shooting you. The roads are too bad and the airlines fly mainly aircrafts that the original owners couldn't get re-certified overseas and ended up selling them to Nigerians. I can go on and on to list the terrible challenges, they are so innumerable. Don't let anybody deceive you, it's not a bed of roses out there. It's not, it's simply nightmarish.

The above notwithstanding, you should not be deterred from coming home, after all, Nigeria is your fatherland, and you can make good money there, even better than overseas. Plan very well. Visit very often while planning. Be careful of the friend you keep. Always blend in with the crowd, don't try to stand out. There are so many returnees that are doing very well and your case won't be different. You are not coming back to a bed of roses, rather, you are coming back to a place that has a lot of potentials that are yet untapped.

Thanks for the insults. As we can see you're one of those ignorant, stuck up, over-exaggerating DIASPORANS who know NOTHING about modern Nigeria. The Nigeria you painted is the Nigeria of ten to fifteen years ago, which I'm sure is when you left.

Like a typical diasporan goat, you think nothing has changed in Nigeria. Why? Of course because in your warped mind Nigeria ''can never change''. It is vipers like you, always adept at running down your country while knowing next to nothing about it, that the poster should avoid.

You say you sleep well at night in New York. This is the same city that has an official murder rate approaching a thousand a year or more. Where gangs armed to the teeth roam the streets freely at night and day. I lived in the US probably before you were born. I was mugged and threatened with a gun twice in Washington DC, less than twenty minutes drive from the White House. I have NEVER experienced anything close to that here in Nigeria.

In New York, where you say you sleep without stress, almost everyone you speak to knows someone that's been shot. These are real New Yorkers, not head-in-the-sky Johnny Just Come foreigners like you that think everywhere is perfect because you see McDonalds and ''24/7 power''.

Anyone who lives in TODAY'S LAGOS sleeps PRETTY WELL AT NIGHT. FACT. I sleep very well at night. Armed robberies, especially where robbers break into private homes at night, have been dramatically reduced not just in Lagos, but throughout Nigeria. People following you from the airport? That's straight out of the Abacha era in the mid 90s. You're stuck in a time warp. In today's Nigeria, NOBODY GIVES A SHIIT if you just came back from overseas. FACT. Nobody SENDS you as we say.

That crap you're typing is stuff that harks back to the 80s and 90s. Many of those that used to do that stuff, desperate boys, can now do other things to make money, like riding okada bikes, selling phone cards, real estate deals/scams (omo onile), online scams etc. Even legit business brings in a lot more profit these days, drawing in boys that had no hope in the days of military rule.

So the social demographics of crime in Nigeria have changed radically. Poster, nobody will follow you from the airport. IGNORE HIM COMPLETELY. He doesn't live in Nigeria. He's stuck in a time warp!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 12:35am On Apr 05, 2013
winbyforce:
1.You seem not to be in control of your family. Did u say your kids are south africans? And your inlaws ordering you not to take them to naija? Mehn,u need to take charge and be a true nigerian.
2.There are security challenges everywhere be it lagos,new york or even south africa. Don't allow that to deter you from coming home if u have great plans. You grew up in the struggle and were made somewhat tough by it.things are not as bad as they are portrayed by the media and you know that!
3.You can create some level of comfort for yourself and ur family if your pepper rest! Money takes care of many things.
4.In the final analysis,it really depends on WHAT u're coming back to do.that should be the critical factor in determining ur next move.If your wife truly loves you,she'l move with you against all odds. Take d case of one Crystal ?Owonubi(can't accurately recall d surname now) who moved from the US-God's own country-to Jos town with her hubby amidst the boko haram terror and is making positive changes to her environment.
Peace.

While the points you made some good point ,i take offence to your first sentence.What do you mean by i am not in control of my family.I find that statement to primitively chauvinistic. What do you take women for? Dude this is 2013 and you can not force your woman to do what she does not want to do.In a relationship ,each partner must be fair and give each other respect.I don't "control" my wife as she is not my slave.This is the modern world and you must view your partner as your equal and agree to decisions together.That is the only way you can have a long lasting marriage.I know how my wife stood by me when i had so please do not assume you know anything about my family.Stick to the request and give advice.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:43am On Apr 05, 2013
playmode:

While the points you made some good point ,i take offence to your first sentence.What do you mean by i am not in control of my family.I find that statement to primitively chauvinistic. What do you take women for? Dude this is 2013 and you can not force your woman to do what she does not want to do.In a relationship ,each partner must be fair and give each other respect.I don't "control" my wife as she is not my slave.This is the modern world and you must view your partner as your equal and agree to decisions together.That is the only way you can have a long lasting marriage.I know how my wife stood by me when i had so please do not assume you know anything about my family.Stick to the request and give advice.

This view is the reason for the high rate of divorce in the outside world, if your wife is your equal, she is the one calling the shots, like right now in your house, am sure she is reading this stuff so you are just puffing to make her happy. you need to go ask your popsie how he was able to last with your mumsie.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Genius100: 12:45am On Apr 05, 2013
playmode: I have lived in South Africa for close to 13 years but have been planning to return to Nigeria with my family for the past two years. Over the past two years i have sent money home to arrange a place for me and my family to reside in and have done a lot of research to determine what I will do when I get to Nigeria.

All my plans however have been put in disarray with the worsening Political, Infrastructural and Security problems in Nigeria. I just learnt yesterday that there has been close to 10 kidnappings in the lekki axis where i own a property and this just worries me.

Living abroad all these years has definitely "spoilt" me. Now i am used to constant electricity & water, good roads ,clean open market, parks , cheap ADSL internet, advanced security , strong currency , efficient service providers ,quick access to modern technology , world class medical facilities e.t.c All these things makes my life easy and enables me to earn a decent living. My wife is South African just as my kids are and they are also spoiled by the easy life in South Africa.

The recent state of kidnappings in Nigeria has scared my wife who was once eager to move to Nigeria to become reluctant to move. As everyday passes I see the hope of moving to Nigeria with my family fading away. My In laws have even made it clear to me that they do not want their daughter moving permanently to Nigeria because of the kidnapping situation. I have tried defending Nigeria in their presence but everyday news of bombing or kidnapping emanates from Nigeria.

My questions to all Nairalanders especially the ones in Nigeria are these :

(A) If you were in my shoes what will you do?

(B) Is it worth it to come back to Nigeria at this time or should I wait a few more years till the security situation get better?

(C) Should I leave my family in South Africa, come back to Nigeria and visit SA once every two months?

Please only serious minded people need reply and please none of that “I am the first to comment” nonsense. This is a thread directed at mature adults with some level of intelligence. Thank you.

So security is your only concern? If you want good advise, then you need to tell us what you plan on doing when you get to Naija? Do you have a job already? Do you have a business set up already? One thing for sure, you will need a lot of money to live the kind of life you are living in South Africa. So give us a bit more information about what your plans are when you get to Naija and we can advise you accordingly.

Nigeria is not the kind of place to relocate to and then start looking for a job. You need to test the waters. If you want to start a business, you need to start it now albeit on a smaller scale and evaluate the potential.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 12:46am On Apr 05, 2013
mekaboy: Chai, Nigeria don suffer. One day person wey dey benin republic or togo go open thread dey ask if he should come back to nigeria.

People wey dey UK US Canada Germany etc dey come back every december and festive period dey chill with their friends and family.

They even buy land and build house from scratch to finish. You go exile for south africa here for 13 years dey ask if you should come back.

Those 13 years na return ticket u dey save abi wetin make u never enter naija since? Abeg if u know wetin chase u out of naija for 13yrs please remain there.

U buy property for lekki in the past 13 years u never come see am. Abeg if the property is in a gud sight make I buy am arrange money for u so u can remain in SA for ever.

Rants of a person who has little knowledge of the outside world.It is rural people like you who make noise but when they get to South Africa they start taking pictures every 2 minutes. grin

7842I: The worst problem we will have in Nigeria will be to allow people with this kind of warped mindset to come back and depress the country with bad expectations. The people living here are not all dead yet and am sure you see lots of crime in SA too. Please relax there and face your life because people like you will bring back loads of pessemism and negative attitudes borne out of years of misinformation and ignorance about the true position of things.

7842I:

Truth is, the OP is now a spent force, what can he contribute when he has spent the best part of his life building another mans home, he will just be another John fashanu here.

Thanks for the insults ,shows how mature and intelligent you are.I am sure when someone asks you for directions in future you will also insult them.You are a perfect example of why racist white believe Africans have an average intelligence quotient of below 70.You just jumped into the conversion and started insulting me which shows that your brain is too weak to comprehend my post.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:47am On Apr 05, 2013
Genius100:

So security is your only concern? If you want good advise, then you need to tell us what you plan on doing when you get to Naija? Do you have a job already? Do you have a business set up already? One thing for sure, you will need a lot of money to live the kind of life you are living in South Africa. So give us a bit more information about what your plans are when you get to Naija and we can advise you accordingly.

So you can scam him? grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 05, 2013
OP, while you are planning on bringing your family back to Nigeria to come and start living just remember that some Nigerians are leaving Nigeria as a result of the way Nigeria is.Please DO NOT bring your wife and beautiful children back home to ruin their destinies. Did you hear of the study/survey that was carried out on selected countries to know which was worse for a child to be born in now? In that study, Nigeria came LAST as a result of no job(75%of Nigerians are jobless), high crime rate etc. Do not listen to what some people are telling you. Nigeria is not becoming better. The good things in Nigeria is only circulating within some people and not everyone in Nigeria. I advise you to watch this show on youtube called ''keeping it real with Adeola'' so you will know whatever that is going on in Nigeria. It is usually uploaded on youtube like every saturdays. I care, ODABO!!!!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by msauden: 12:47am On Apr 05, 2013
A dog neva barks @ a stationary vihicle.Dogs will keep barking & SA will keep going foward.Haters keep hating,its a nice motivation
wink

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:49am On Apr 05, 2013
playmode:

Rants of a person who has little knowledge of the outside world.It is rural people like you who make noise but when they get to South Africa they start taking pictures every 2 minutes. grin

Thanks for the insults ,shows how mature and intelligent you are.I am sure when someone asks you for directions in future you will also insult them.You are a perfect example of why racist white believe Africans have an average intelligence quotient of below 70.You just jumped into the conversion and started insulting me which shows that your brain is too weak to comprehend my post.

I took the position I took when I saw you are very very ignorant about the true position things in Nigeria, like the 10 kidnaps in Lekki! That must be a bad dream palsie.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Genius100: 12:50am On Apr 05, 2013
7842I:

So you can scam him? grin

Guy, I live in the US. All I'm saying is, If he tells us he has been offered a job as an executive in a bank, then we can advise him accordingly. If he tells us he plans to look for a job after he gets to Naija, then he better sit his ass in South Africa. He can't get good advise unless he gives us an idea of what awaits him when he gets to Naija

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 05, 2013
7842I:

They should stay there, we will import Mali and Chad people to boost our population.
please the population of Nigeria is already TOO MUCH. That is one of the reasons why the country is not becoming better. we do not need Malains and Chadians to ''boost'' our population.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 12:51am On Apr 05, 2013
7842I:

This view is the reason for the high rate of divorce in the outside world, if your wife is your equal, she is the one calling the shots, like right now in your house, am sure she is reading this stuff so you are just puffing to make her happy. you need to go ask your popsie how he was able to last with your mumsie.

7842I:

I took the position I took when I saw you are very very ignorant about the true position things in Nigeria, like the 10 kidnaps in Lekki! That must be a bad dream palsie.

I see your intention is to derail this thread.Sorry i won't fall for that trick.My reason for starting this thread is genuine and i could careless what you think of me or my family.When you get married tie your wife and kids to a tree and whip them all day long if that will satisfy your primitively regressive male ego.Real men don't abuse women.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:52am On Apr 05, 2013
babe_online: OP, while you are planning on bringing your family back to Nigeria to come and start living just remember that some Nigerians are leaving Nigeria as a result of the way Nigeria is.Please DO NOT bring your wife and beautiful children back home to ruin their destinies. Did you hear of the study/survey that was carried out on selected countries to know which was worse for a child to be born in now? In that study, Nigeria came LAST as a result of no job(75%of Nigerians are jobless), high crime rate etc. Do not listen to what some people are telling you. Nigeria is not becoming better. The good things in Nigeria is only circulating within some people and not everyone in Nigeria. I advise you to watch this show on youtube called ''keeping it real with Adeola'' so you will know whatever that is going on in Nigeria. It is usually uploaded on youtube like every saturdays. I care, ODABO!!!!

Ok, Nigerian is getting worse and you are patronizing its online forums, welldone you hear!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 05, 2013
babe_online:
please the population of Nigeria is already TOO MUCH. That is one of the reasons why the country is not becoming better. we do not need Malains and Chadians to ''boost'' our population.
I was thinking the same thing...Nigeria is not even as big as SA yet they have more than 3times the population of SA. I'm not insulting anyone but Nigerians need to start taking family planning more seriously
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:54am On Apr 05, 2013
playmode:

I see your intention is to derail this thread.Sorry i won't fall for that trick.My reason for starting this thread is genuine and i could careless what you think of me or my family.When you get married tie your wife and kids to a tree and whip them all day long if that will satisfy your primitively regressive male ego.

Sorry o Oga, let me jump out since you cannot take a hardline different opinion.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 7842I: 12:57am On Apr 05, 2013
mondi_cheeks: I was thinking the same thing...Nigeria is not even as big as SA yet they have more than 3times the population of SA. I'm not insulting anyone but Nigerians need to start taking family planning more seriously

Do you now understand why I said we dont need many people to return, let them stay where they are, some of them in the diaspora have more than 12 kids each. Remember KWAM1 has up to 48 children and many of them are abroad.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:59am On Apr 05, 2013
mondi_cheeks: I was thinking the same thing...Nigeria is not even as big as SA yet they have more than 3times the population of SA. I'm not insulting anyone but Nigerians need to start taking family planning more seriously
At last there is someone that thinks like me! Shows there is still hope for Nigeria and I am so relieved. Nigeria really needs to start with population control like by giving people with at most three kids little money for compensation. Without doing this, Nigeria is not going to be better because since the population of the country did not grow with the country from the beginning, it will be very hard for the country to become better. That is why Ghana is beginning to do better than Nigeria even with the way everyone is very hard-working and is helping/has helped.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:05am On Apr 05, 2013
7842I:

Ok, Nigerian is getting worse and you are patronizing its online forums, welldone you hear!
what do you mean? I was only trying to give the OP the best advise he could possibly ever get.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Kairoseki77: 1:08am On Apr 05, 2013
playmode:

Thanks for the insults ,shows how mature and intelligent you are.I am sure when someone asks you for directions in future you will also insult them. You are a perfect example of why racist white believe Africans have an average intelligence quotient of below 70. You just jumped into the conversion and started insulting me which shows that your brain is too weak to comprehend my post.

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post.

Black South Africans are still mentally subservient to the whites in that country. Just go online and look at the comments on South African news websites. All the whites there are horribly racist, so the "coloreds" and the upper class blacks try to fit in by being as racist as "massah".

This is called Uncle Tom syndrome.

I downloaded an app on my phone so that I could listen to radio stations in Africa. Capetalk radio is the most patronizing radio station I have ever heard in my life. Everytime a white caller would call in, the BLACK radio host would "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" his way through the convo. Everytime a black caller would call in the BLACK host would talk down to them like children.

One of the white callers even called the radio announcer (who is a GROWN MAN) a "good boy" live on the radio!!!

I cannot imagine that in Nigeria. Seriously, could never happen. Never. God help a white man if it ever does.

I am sure that 90% of the reason the SA media paints Nigeria as a bad place, is because the whites can't stand that a black nation is overtaking their economy. They can't stand that a black nation is progressing. This is why they attack Nigeria so viciously.

Maybe you need to leave SA for your kids sake. It would be a shame for them to grow up as second class citizens in their mothers homeland. Better they grow up as kings in their fathers homeland.

PS - Just want to reiterate that I am not a Nigerian. Just so you can take it for what it's worth.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:18am On Apr 05, 2013
babe_online: OP, while you are planning on bringing your family back to Nigeria to come and start living just remember that some Nigerians are leaving Nigeria as a result of the way Nigeria is.Please DO NOT bring your wife and beautiful children back home to ruin their destinies. Did you hear of the study/survey that was carried out on selected countries to know which was worse for a child to be born in now? In that study, Nigeria came LAST as a result of no job(75%of Nigerians are jobless), high crime rate etc. Do not listen to what some people are telling you. Nigeria is not becoming better. The good things in Nigeria is only circulating within some people and not everyone in Nigeria. I advise you to watch this show on youtube called ''keeping it real with Adeola'' so you will know whatever that is going on in Nigeria. It is usually uploaded on youtube like every saturdays. I care, ODABO!!!!

you certainly have not been anywhere near the repulic of south africa, otherwise you wouldn't dare compare the up-bringing of their children to ours here in nigeria.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:25am On Apr 05, 2013
My brother i know you have been advised front and back, left and right and you must have absorbed it all. But i would tell you that majority of those that advised you have never stepped out of the country so when you talk of the comfort and easy life you experience over there they can only imagine it without knowing or having the real feel of it and they are fast to remind you of one or two incidence(s) that happened in South Africa and they compare it to incidence(s) back home and tell you it is the same. Do not be deceived my brother, i thought like them some months back, i beefed a lot but the truth was that i seriously wished i was out of the country. My brother from my own view and my little token of advise please do not come. South Africa is not heaven we know but it is 100 times better than Nigeria for now. There is life expectancy there, your children would get good education there. Your wife would be at peace there. Nor let them deceive you oooo, if they call you a slave in another land thank them and stay there. Those that refuse to be slaves get killed by Boko Haram and kidnappers everyday. It is better to be alive than be a patriotic dead Nigerian. The one that said there is no robbery again in Nigeria, may Thunder fire his mouth. The robbers are so bold now my brother they now rob an international airport. It is not everything the press carries out ooo, many things are suppressed. You know our journalist here, they hardly report things, ask well them go tell you. Nor follow their mouth here ooooo. The one that said you stand no chance of being kidnapped he dey fool himself, they would be the one to arrange for you to be kidnapped rather. It is a booming business here so far so good. Nigeria is developing and we would get there by God's grace but if you have the option of remaining in South Africa for the time being and you choose to come and settle here, still no problem. There are cons and there are pros, i just dropped my own advise. To each his own.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:32am On Apr 05, 2013
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 1:36am On Apr 05, 2013
Michaeljones36:

Black South Africans are still mentally subservient to the whites in that country. Just go online and look at the comments on South African news websites. All the whites there are horribly racist, so the "coloreds" and the upper class blacks try to fit in by being as racist as "massah".

I downloaded an app on my phone so that I could listen to radio stations in Africa. Capetalk radio is the most patronizing radio station I have ever heard in my life. Everytime a black caller would call in, the BLACK radio host would "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" his way through the convo. Everytime a black caller would call in the BLACK host would talk down to them like children.

One of the white callers even called this grown man a "good boy" live on the radio!!!

I cannot imagine that in Nigeria. Seriously, could never happen. Never. God help a white man if it ever does.

I am sure that 90% of the reason the SA media paints Nigeria as a bad place, is because the whites can't stand that a black nation is overtaking their economy. They can't stand that a black nation is progressing. This is why they attack Nigeria so viciously.

Maybe you need to leave SA for your kids sake. It would be a shame for them to grow up as second class citizens in their mothers homeland. Better they grow up as kings in their fathers homeland.

What you have said is true but to a certain extent. Many of the people i have dealings with are white South Africans and they know i fight fire with fire. It is all about how you carry yourself. If you drag yourself on the floor anywhere in the world in front of a white man he will step on you. The problem with some black South African is that they suffer from inferiority complex. Apartheid really scarred their minds and it will take time for them to heal. Many do not have the boldness we have hence why they behave like that around whites.

One thing about most of the educated law abiding (emphasis on law abiding)Nigerians who live here is that they are treated well by whites. Whites South Africans realized a long time ago that they have to behave around Nigerians or could literally get a hot slap. Thankfully I have been lucky enough to work with decent intelligent whites who have shared their knowledge with me about the modern business and technology world.

Furthermore SA does not report much on Nigeria much except when a Nigerian is arrested for a crime or there is a major event like a bomb blast in Nigeria.SA media hardly reports kidnappings in Nigeria except the victim is a foreign worker.Most of the kidnapping news I get are from on Nairaland, Linda Ikeji and other Nigerian blogs.

Here are just a handful of articles which got me worried :

http://lindaikeji..com/2013/04/security-advisory-increasing-kidnap-for.html

http://naijagists.com/baby-boy-kidnapped-in-lagos-nigeria-kidnappers-demand-n20-million-ransom/

http://lindaikeji..com/2013/04/nigerian-press-council-director.html

http://saharareporters.tumblr.com/post/23185515858/kidnapping-in-lagos-state-civil-society-organizations#_=_

http://theeagleonline.com.ng/news/police-arrest-lagos-notorious-kidnappers-declare-two-wanted/

http://news.yahoo.com/nigerian-police-british-businessman-kidnapped-lagos-061941888--sector.html

https://www.nairaland.com/530750/opc-saves-twins-kidnap-lagos

http://nigeriafilms.com/news/18868/22/kidnappers-storm-lagos-kidnap-lagos-businesslady-d.html

http://lindaikeji..com/2013/03/kidnappers-abduct-5-lagos-bound.html

http://lindaikejiblogg..com/2011/01/ify-eneli-and-michael-neri-kidnapped-in.html

http://lindaikejiblogg..com/2011/02/arisekola-alao-son-kidnapped-in-lagos.html

http://www.brimtime.com/2013/03/mtn-staff-kidnapped-in-lagos.html
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 1:36am On Apr 05, 2013
Michaeljones36:

I downloaded an app on my phone so that I could listen to radio stations in Africa. Capetalk radio is the most patronizing radio station I have ever heard in my life. Everytime a white caller would call in, the BLACK radio host would "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" his way through the convo. Everytime a black caller would call in the BLACK host would talk down to them like children.

One of the white callers even called the radio announcer (who is a GROWN MAN) a "good boy" live on the radio!!!

PS - Just want to reiterate that I am not a Nigerian. Just so you can take it for what it's worth.

Damn, that radio story is shocking.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:36am On Apr 05, 2013
You are a LIAR, pathetic liar. God dey watch you. Na another Lagos you dey talk abi nor be the one wen them don dey rob International Airport? Same Nigeria when boko boys dey rule and the government shivers? Nigeria is developing slowly no argument but my dear the texcote and emulsion you take paint am too much, haba, even if una wan lie for the man make una consider e children and wife na
Rossikk:

Thanks for the insults. As we can see you're one of those ignorant, stuck up, over-exaggerating DIASPORANS who know NOTHING about modern Nigeria. The Nigeria you painted is the Nigeria of ten to fifteen years ago, which I'm sure is when you left.

Like a typical diasporan goat, you think nothing has changed in Nigeria. Why? Of course because in your warped mind Nigeria ''can never change''. It is vipers like you, always adept at running down your country while knowing next to nothing about it, that the poster should avoid.

You say you sleep well at night in New York. This is the same city that has an official murder rate approaching a thousand a year or more. Where gangs armed to the teeth roam the streets freely at night and day. I lived in the US probably before you were born. I was mugged and threatened with a gun twice in Washington DC, less than twenty minutes drive from the White House. I have NEVER experienced anything close to that here in Nigeria.

In New York, where you say you sleep without stress, almost everyone you speak to knows someone that's been shot. These are real New Yorkers, not head-in-the-sky Johnny Just Come foreigners like you that think everywhere is perfect because you see McDonalds and ''24/7 power''.

Anyone who lives in TODAY'S LAGOS sleeps PRETTY WELL AT NIGHT. FACT. I sleep very well at night. Armed robberies, especially where robbers break into private homes at night, have been dramatically reduced not just in Lagos, but throughout Nigeria. People following you from the airport? That's straight out of the Abacha era in the mid 90s. You're stuck in a time warp. In today's Nigeria, NOBODY GIVES A SHIIT if you just came back from overseas. FACT. Nobody SENDS you as we say.

That crap you're typing is stuff that harks back to the 80s and 90s. Many of those that used to do that stuff, desperate boys, can now do other things to make money, like riding okada bikes, selling phone cards, real estate deals/scams (omo onile), online scams etc. Even legit business brings in a lot more profit these days, drawing in boys that had no hope in the days of military rule.

So the social demographics of crime in Nigeria have changed radically. Poster, nobody will follow you from the airport. IGNORE HIM COMPLETELY. He doesn't live in Nigeria. He's stuck in a time warp!

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Inoknowbook: 1:42am On Apr 05, 2013
Rossikk:

If you claim to have have lived in the US before I was born, it means that you are a very old man. But your comments so far does not depict your old age. I think it's high time you grew up and behaved your age. I'm still maintain my position, you are a very wicked man. No matter what you say about Lagos, it is a shit hole. The crime rate is unbelievable. I know Lagos better than you do. I don't need a very vulgar person like you to tell me how Lagos /Nigeria is. Stop deceiving people that wants to relocate to Nigeria, it is not anywhere near what you are painting it to be, my dear wicked man. Coming back to ones fatherland to invest is a noble gesture, but you don't have to hide the realities on the ground. And mind you, Nigeria does not start and end in Lagos. The other day, was it not a Nigerian company that warned its staff of the rampant kidnapping within lekki axis. For your information, I'm more patriotic than you may ever wish to be, but the reality is the reality. Paint the true pictures of things to potential returnees, and stop deceiving people. So many returnees have been killed on that street of Lagos that you are praising to high havens.

Mind you, there was never a time I claimed that there is no crime in the US. Every country has its challenges security wise. But for you to tell me that the security situation in Nigeria is comparable to that of the western world, is to the least, very pathetic. Thank your God that you escaped the attempt with your life intact, if you are being truthful, had it occurred in Nigeria, you may have had a different outcome. Meanwhile, I seriously suspect that you are a police officer, because no sensible person will have the shameless boldness that you have just exhibited, to talk good about the security situation in Nigeria as of today.

Finally, before you write bull... about a city you have never visited, try to learn about it. Google is very handy for that. I will advice that you go and do more research on the big apple, because you are way off mark.

Truth may hurt, but it's still the truth, SIR.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 1:42am On Apr 05, 2013
playmode:

What you have said is true but to a certain extent. Many of the people i have dealings with are white South Africans and they know i fight fire with fire. It is all about how you carry yourself. If you drag yourself on the floor anywhere in the world in front of a white man he will step on you. The problem with some black South African is that they suffer from inferiority complex. Apartheid really scared their minds and it will take time for them to heal. Many do not have the boldness we have hence why they behave like that around whites.

One thing about most of the educated Nigerians who live here is that are treated well by whites. Whites South Africans realized a long time ago that they have to behave around Nigerians or could literally get a hot slap. Thankfully I have been lucky enough to work with decent intelligent whites who have shared their knowledge with me about the modern business world.

Furthermore the SA does not report on Nigeria much except when a Nigerian is arrested for a crime or their major event like bomb blast in Nigeria.SA media hardly report kidnapping except the victim is a foreign worker.Most of the kidnapping news I get on Nairaland, Linda Ikeji and other Nigerian blogs.

Here are just a handle of articles which got me worried :

http://lindaikeji..com/2013/04/security-advisory-increasing-kidnap-for.html

http://naijagists.com/baby-boy-kidnapped-in-lagos-nigeria-kidnappers-demand-n20-million-ransom/

http://lindaikeji..com/2013/04/nigerian-press-council-director.html

http://saharareporters.tumblr.com/post/23185515858/kidnapping-in-lagos-state-civil-society-organizations#_=_

http://theeagleonline.com.ng/news/police-arrest-lagos-notorious-kidnappers-declare-two-wanted/

http://news.yahoo.com/nigerian-police-british-businessman-kidnapped-lagos-061941888--sector.html

https://www.nairaland.com/530750/opc-saves-twins-kidnap-lagos

http://nigeriafilms.com/news/18868/22/kidnappers-storm-lagos-kidnap-lagos-businesslady-d.html

http://lindaikeji..com/2013/03/kidnappers-abduct-5-lagos-bound.html

http://lindaikejiblogg..com/2011/01/ify-eneli-and-michael-neri-kidnapped-in.html

http://lindaikejiblogg..com/2011/02/arisekola-alao-son-kidnapped-in-lagos.html

http://www.brimtime.com/2013/03/mtn-staff-kidnapped-in-lagos.html

I don't see the point in listing all this. You can literally pick out ANY NATION on earth, go online, do a little research, and draw up an impressive list of crimes, from murders to mugging.

I can start with the UK if you wish, and the list will be longer than the one you posted.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 1:49am On Apr 05, 2013
calebo101: You are a LIAR, pathetic liar. God dey watch you. Na another Lagos you dey talk abi nor be the one wen them don dey rob International Airport? Same Nigeria when boko boys dey rule and the government shivers? Nigeria is developing slowly no argument but my dear the texcote and emulsion you take paint am too much, haba, even if una wan lie for the man make una consider e children and wife na

You need to do far better than remind us of a SINGLE crime incident to counter what I said. Don't take people here for fools. As for Boko Haram, statistically, you are twenty times more likely to be struck dead by lightning than be a victim of Boko Haram. And that's if you live in the north.

So take your rabble-rousing brouhaha crapsticks and stick it where the sun don't shine.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 1:51am On Apr 05, 2013
Rossikk:

I don't see the point in listing all this. You can literally pick out ANY NATION on earth, go online, do a little research, and draw up an impressive list of crimes, from murders to mugging.

I can start with the UK if you wish, and the list will be longer than the one you posted.

If you read his post and mine ,he mistakenly assumed that i get my kidnapping news from SA media and i was just pointing out to him that i got all the information from Nigerian media.I don't want people to have the impression that SA is poisoning Nigerians' minds against their own country because that will be unfair and untrue.People also need to realize why i initially started this thread so that they don't think my concern was fabricated.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Inoknowbook: 1:52am On Apr 05, 2013
Rossikk:

You may not see the point idiot, and I don't blame you. You are the proverbial ostrich that stuck its head in the ground thinking that it's will hidden. The security situation in Nigeria is nothing to write home about. It is whack. It is incomparable to any western country, and may I dare to say, most African nation. And to top it all, our government is clueless when it comes to the solution. Stop defending the indefensible. It is your type that embezzle government funds while behaving that all is well, while the masses are dying in silence. Patriotism my foot!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

No Completed Federal Project In Pdp’s 16 Years Reign – Osinbajo / Wike Orders Prosecution Of Amaechi, Cole Over Alleged Sale Of Assets / Babachir Lawal: CBN Governor Cardoso Has Patch-Patch CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.