Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Should I Return To Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should I Return To Nigeria? (24873 Views)

Anyaoku Urges Return To Regional Govt / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Daniel Can’t Return To Pdp –obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 2:20pm On Apr 04, 2013
I have lived in South Africa for close to 13 years but have been planning to return to Nigeria with my family for the past two years. Over the past two years i have sent money home to arrange a place for me and my family to reside in and have done a lot of research to determine what I will do when I get to Nigeria.

All my plans however have been put in disarray with the worsening Political, Infrastructural and Security problems in Nigeria. I just learnt yesterday that there has been close to 10 kidnappings in the lekki axis where i own a property and this just worries me.

Living abroad all these years has definitely "spoilt" me. Now i am used to constant electricity & water, good roads ,clean open market, parks , cheap ADSL internet, advanced security , strong currency , efficient service providers ,quick access to modern technology , world class medical facilities e.t.c All these things makes my life easy and enables me to earn a decent living. My wife is South African just as my kids are and they are also spoiled by the easy life in South Africa.

The recent state of kidnappings in Nigeria has scared my wife who was once eager to move to Nigeria to become reluctant to move. As everyday passes I see the hope of moving to Nigeria with my family fading away. My In laws have even made it clear to me that they do not want their daughter moving permanently to Nigeria because of the kidnapping situation. I have tried defending Nigeria in their presence but everyday news of bombing or kidnapping emanates from Nigeria.

My questions to all Nairalanders especially the ones in Nigeria are these :

(A) If you were in my shoes what will you do?

(B) Is it worth it to come back to Nigeria at this time or should I wait a few more years till the security situation get better?

(C) Should I leave my family in South Africa, come back to Nigeria and visit SA once every two months?

Please only serious minded people need reply and please none of that “I am the first to comment” nonsense. This is a thread directed at mature adults with some level of intelligence. Thank you.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by vizboy(m): 2:26pm On Apr 04, 2013
Home is home. You matter the challenges we face here in nigeria. It only you and i that can make our country better. No matter where u are you might one day find ur self in the country. So my advice you can come yourself to put things together first and survey the environment.before bringing ur family down here. Just my2cent

11 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by wesley80(m): 2:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
@OP, Person wey no read your post well go think say you dey stay for Kensington Palace Gardens in London!
Any of these ring a bell? Marikana mine riots - 32 dead, Worse crime rate in the world, home of Soweto all stars, Rape more common than pure water sachet, ubiquitous male-nyash observers (homo thingz), Wetinnnnnnn no be South Africa again?
Truth SA is years ahead of Nigeria with great infrastructure and much different challenges but please please please dont regale us with tales of superb everything cos we know that just like our dear Naija, not everything is superb. Dont use your 504 to remind me my Fathers beetle is crap - no be person dey ride Ferarri? Bros abeg park well jare.

129 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 2:36pm On Apr 04, 2013
vizboy: Home is home. You matter the challenges we face here in nigeria. It only you and i that can make our country better. No matter where u are you might one day find ur self in the country. So my advice you can come yourself to put things together first and survey the environment.before bringing ur family down here. Just my2cent

Thank you for your honest input,it is very much appreciated.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by vizboy(m): 2:41pm On Apr 04, 2013
playmode:

Thank you for your honest input,it is very much appreciated.
you are welcome. And you should know sometimes what u read online is not actually what is happening in the country nigeria is not as bad as people take it to be.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 2:44pm On Apr 04, 2013
vizboy: you are welcome. And you should know sometimes what u read online is not actually what is happening in the country nigeria is not as bad as people take it to be.

Ok
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Chubhie: 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2013
i would advice you still stay back in SA pending when things improve politically in Nigeria but if you have a business game to play in this jungle you may come down but please leave your fam outta this.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by achinaboy(m): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2013
Chubhie is wright,also bring your family for holidays,then see what happens from there

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2013
This is the problem with the media, exaggeration, and anti-Nigerian propaganda. Look at how this man's mind has been poisoned against Nigeria to the point where he cannot even see his country as it is, as opposed to the way enemies of progress want him to see it.

Please poster, if you want to return home, please feel free to do so. Infrastructure is getting better by the day, and is most certainly BETTER than when you left Nigeria 13 years ago. Most of the major federal highways are fixed or undergoing major renovation. 15 airports have been (and are being) completely remodelled. Major cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Calabar etc are witnessing major infrastructural transformation. The railways are seeing unprecedented investment as is the power sector. In fact power generation has doubled in the last two years and many homes and businesses have seen greatly improved supply, with more plants coming on stream. The power sector is being privatized, so is certain to transform the sector as the telecoms privatization did to that sector.

Security wise, you are SAFER in Nigeria than in South Africa.

I repeat for sake of emphasis:

In fact you are at least 3 times safer in Nigeria if you compare the crime rate in the two countries. Armed robberies have virtually ceased to exist in Nigeria compared to the spate of their occurrence 13 years ago when you lived here.

Kidnapping occurs, but is EXTREMELY RARE and you are statistically, most unlikely to be a victim. Even if you were, 9.9 times out of ten you will not come to any physical harm. Whoever told you that 10 people were kidnapped in Lekki in the last week or whatever is LYING to you. The usual exaggeration for which many miserable people here are well known for. There are millions and millions of well-to-do Nigerians, including ex-diasporans, who go about their business daily with no problems. There is no reason you and your family would not join them and go about your business daily, with no problems.

Economy wise, there could not be a better time to return to Nigeria. With GDP growing at 7% per annum, Nigeria is the place to be in Africa today. The Chinese are rushing in. As are the Indians, Lebanese, Europeans, Americans, and South Africans themselves. Hundreds of South African companies are establishing outlets here and their number keeps growing, as this country posts the highest returns on investment of any country in the developing world. The Nigerian middle class is growing, and poverty is reducing. The World Bank recently reported that poverty in Nigeria is on the decrease, as better governance leads to more opportunities for people to make progress.

So welcome home.

86 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 3:32pm On Apr 04, 2013
Chubhie: i would advice you still stay back in SA pending when things improve politically in Nigeria but if you have a business game to play in this jungle you may come down but please leave your fam outta this.

achina boy: Chubhie is wright,also bring your family for holidays,then see what happens from there

Thank you for your input guys.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 3:36pm On Apr 04, 2013
Rossikk: This is the problem with the media, exaggeration, and anti-Nigerian propaganda. Look at how this man's mind has been poisoned against Nigeria to the point where he cannot even see his country as it is, as opposed to the way enemies of progress want him to see it.

Please poster, if you want to return home, please feel free to do so. Infrastructure is getting better by the day, and is most certainly BETTER than when you left Nigeria 13 years ago. Most of the major federal highways are fixed or undergoing major renovation. 15 airports have been (and are being) completely remodelled. Major cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Calabar etc are witnessing major infrastructural transformation. The railways are seeing unprecedented investment as is the power sector. In fact power generation has doubled in the last two years and many homes and businesses have seen greatly improved supply, with more plants coming on stream. The power sector is being privatized, so is certain to transform the sector as the telecoms privatization did to that sector.

In fact you are at least 3 times safer in Nigeria if you compare the crime rate in the two countries. Armed robberies have virtually ceased to exist in Nigeria compared to the spate of their occurrence 13 years ago when you lived here.

Kidnapping occurs, but is EXTREMELY RARE and you are statistically, most unlikely to be a victim. Even if you were, 9.9 times out of ten you will not come to any physical harm. Whoever told you that 10 people were kidnapped in Lekki in the last week or whatever is LYING to you. The usual exaggeration for which many miserable people here are well known for. There are millions and millions of well-to-do Nigerians, including ex-diasporans, who go about their business daily with no problems. There is no reason you and your family would not join them and go about your business daily, with no problems.

Economy wise, there could not be a better time to return to Nigeria. With GDP growing at 7% per annum, Nigeria is the place to be in Africa today. The Chinese are rushing in. As are the Indians, Lebanese, Europeans, Americans, and South Africans themselves. Hundreds of South African companies are establishing outlets here and their number keeps growing, as this country posts the highest returns on investment of any country in the developing world. The Nigerian middle class is growing, and poverty is reducing. The World Bank recently reported that poverty in Nigeria is on the decrease, as better governance leads to more opportunities for people to make progress.

So welcome home.

Thank you for your detailed analysis of the situation.To be honest my heart is at home,i miss the naija badly.There are some things Nigeria has that no other country has.My wife is also reading this thread so i am really glad you posted.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by vizboy(m): 3:48pm On Apr 04, 2013
Rossikk: This is the problem with the media, exaggeration, and anti-Nigerian propaganda. Look at how this man's mind has been poisoned against Nigeria to the point where he cannot even see his country as it is, as opposed to the way enemies of progress want him to see it.

So welcome home.

thank you for ur post still dont know why the media like to paint us bad

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by nairaman66(m): 3:51pm On Apr 04, 2013
Firstly, this is not a medium for you to brrag about your personal achievements! I would want you to be realistic about your decision coming back!! If things were good, would you have travelled out of the country in the first place?

Over the years those in diaspora have criticize Nigeria too much!! Are you trying to tell us that you don't experience any sort of difficulties over there? Trying to be self righteous or blowing ones trumpet in a public forum is not the best thing!

Conclusively, I would want you to accept Nigeria and it's frailties, even in over seas, there are cases of Kidnap and its likes. Furthermore, in the spirit of friendship I'd want to welcome you home in anticipation. God Bless!! grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by dedons: 3:52pm On Apr 04, 2013
Leave your family there while u alone should cum back home

i no hear no dey o

2 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Ama28(f): 3:54pm On Apr 04, 2013
The earlier you start bringing them home even if its for holiday visits the better. South Africa is also rough so I think they can cope here.

The infrastructure issue there is no excuse about it.

But they need to be visiting now so they can adjust to coming home, that is if this place is called home for them.
Good luck
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by dulphines: 3:55pm On Apr 04, 2013
You don't need to return to Nigeria. All you'll find is frustration! Stay well in SA

7 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 04, 2013
Story Of My Life..... from this write up, all I was able to deduce is one thing: YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE UP YOUR MIND NEVER TO COME BACK TO NIGERIA.YOU JUST WANT CHEAP PUBLICITY STUNT. I know that Nigeria is not perfect but slow and steady; we are getting there. It is better to be a king among my "poor" brothers than a slave among "rich" foreigners. When you die, I hope you will be buried in SA undecided undecided or will they kidnap your corpse too grin grin grin?

SUMMARY, WE DO NOT CARE!

14 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by claremont(m): 3:57pm On Apr 04, 2013
playmode:
There are some things Nigeria has that no other country has.
Like what?!

Your "home" is wherever you and your family can enjoy a comfortable existence without looking over your shoulders, it's not necessarily where you were born. If you and your family are comfortable in SA, then stay there.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 3:58pm On Apr 04, 2013
I'm not even gonna read the thread's content. . . .answer is NO.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by kekerazi(m): 3:58pm On Apr 04, 2013
My Broda,we in Nigeria did not hear of any Kidnapping in Lekki.I wonder were you got that news from.And from Your post You'll be Residing in Lekki when you come Back.I can assure you Lekki is safer and more comfortable Than were you are staying in S.A - I might not be too sure though-

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 4:00pm On Apr 04, 2013
Oh you're in South Africa?

PLEASE MOVE BACK HOME

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 04, 2013
Pls come back home bro, Nigeria needs u.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by nosike3(m): 4:00pm On Apr 04, 2013
Chairman!!! Shut the f up!!!! 'I am used to the luxurious life bla bla bla bla bla!!! You first of all condemn the country u want to come to and then praised your present location.. It is obvious u have made your mind and just want to inform us how ur scr*wed up life is is SA.. For ur info!! If them don deport u,simply tell us and stop all this fronting!!! All this drug pushers in south Africa that give nigerians (igbo) bad name... Relocate to hell for all I care.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by sobastical: 4:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
With due respect, please kindly come to nigeria only on vacation. That's only the best option for now.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by segelity(m): 4:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
he be lyk say u get small change 4 hand , have u been given ur money to d poor?if no then start it 2day,put your money into charity then see hw God go teach u aw to go about what is bothering u
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by Fadelex(m): 4:04pm On Apr 04, 2013
No matter how bad d situation is, Naija is stil d place, even though everyone is his/her own government i.e u mst av a generator, a bore-hole, pay waste disposal, pay skl fees, pay medical bills, pay for gas, pay for road usage, hire vigilante or opc for security and so on bt most importantly, there is freedom for you here, if u'r ready to become ur own local govt. Come home, nt wit ur family ooo... @least wen u spend like a year or two here den u can relocate dem

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:06pm On Apr 04, 2013
Ama28: The earlier you start bringing them home even if its for holiday visits the better. South Africa is also rough so I think they can cope here.

The infrastructure issue there is no excuse about it.

But they need to be visiting now so they can adjust to coming home, that is if this place is called home for them.
Good luck

Very good idea. wink
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by DJDOLA(m): 4:06pm On Apr 04, 2013
Heyyyy bros don't mind them ooo..don't even try 2 come niger now..nigeria is more worst morethan before no light no gud road no water our police are somthin else no security...all dis fork sayin nigera is gud if they give them sa visa they wil live nigeria sharp sharp..if nigeria is gud why millions of nigeria que at embasy for visa nah..I weep for u if u try 2 come

13 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by 50calibre(m): 4:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
Returning home should depend on what is waiting for you at home. Weigh up the pros and cons before taking any decision.

Since you said you have a stable and comfortable life in South Africa and with a South African wife, then consider yourself lucky or accomplished as that is something many black people in south africa cant boast of, you are at least in the middle - upper echelon of the South African society, do you wanna throw that away and come battle unemployment, insecurity, lack of power supply, dangerous roads, corruption, erratic/unskilled/lazy/incompetent/foolish police?

Please returning home without a rock- solid long term plan is tantamount to suicide.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 4:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
DJDOLA: Heyyyy bros don't mind them ooo..don't even try 2 come niger now..nigeria is more worst morethan before no light no gud road no water our police are somthin else no security...all dis fork sayin nigera is gud if they give them sa visa they wil live nigeria sharp sharp..if nigeria is gud why millions of nigeria que at embasy for visa nah..I weep for u if u try 2 come
hehehehhe
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria? by playmode(m): 4:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
kekerazi:

My Broda,we in Nigeria did not hear of any Kidnapping in Lekki.I wonder were you got that news from.And from Your post You'll be Residing in Lekki when you come Back.I can assure you Lekki is safer and more comfortable Than were you are staying in S.A - I might not be too sure though-

I got this from linda ikeji's blog (yeah i know she gossips a lot) grin .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Padded Budget: PDP & Jibrin's Revelations / Seyi Makinde Appoints Tamunominini Makinde Head Of State Agency For AIDS Control / Orji Kalu Distributes More Motorcycles, Sewing Machines To Constituents (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.