Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (26047 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by EzePromoe: 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
caustical:

How more retar.d.ed can U be? Igbos (indian hemps) are so dumb that whenever they wanna diss yoruba, the only thing that comes out of their mouth is palm oil. Are your brain cells made of palm oil?
Just scampered through my post in search of were the word 'YORUBA', was mentioned but i didn't see any.
But come to think of it, why did you reacted at the mention of name, "OIL".
*looks into his eyes*
Now tell me, its gonna be between only me and you, ARE YOU DRUNK WITH PALM OIL? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

Mr OLODO, getting a Nobel prize doesn't mean you are the best in your field! ok? stop embarrassing yourself

A Nobel winner that most people people all over the world cannot name his works
He won the Nobel
Great
Achebe had the fame
They are both Nigerians
I love them both for their achievements

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
lets get really mean

oga of frsc vs accident victim

the only nationalistic thing achebe ever did was play goebbels for biafra. he died a biafran, not a nigerian. not that he shed blood for his country. he was in relative comfort all through the war, like the rest of the biafran high command.
all these noisemakers are lucky they weren't around then, they'd have been starving outside achebe's swanky quarters while the man gorged himself

contrast that with wole soyinka who has always been at the forefront of fighting for whats right. i mean, the man was imprisoned.

achebe was an ibo man , but Wole is a Nigerian - he even stood up for the biafran mistake.

dayokanu:

Its obvious some people here don't know what Nobel means They thought its some village "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of African runaway cowards etc "

no they think nobel prize is gordon bell prize cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

I fully understand you. What matters more is "Father of internet, father of African literature, Father of African boxing, Father of runaway cowards etc "

Am I right?

No, what matters is making record sales, reaching out to the whole wide world,Taking Africa to the world, Fighting Racism with your works, being acclaimed by the world as the best in your field from Africa. Comprehende?

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

And yet the same "igbo man" was given the name "Father of Modern African Literature"? Kid go and sleep, its past bed time!

Didnt I tell you guys? Nobel doesnt matter Father of bla bla bla is what matters

Can you tell us who is the "father of [b][size=18pt]Ancient[/size][/b]African literature"?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

How come the "TELEPHONE CONVERSATION" hasn't been translated into many languages of the world yet? You and Sam must be daft not to understand the message behind "things fall apart". Fortunately, the world is not as daft as you and Sam, that's why the novel was translated into more than 60 world languages. The world don't celebrate mediocrity, do they? Hatred,Jealousy and bigotry can destroy a man, especially a daft one like you.
So translation of a literary work into many languages is your benchmark for excellence?
This people with their akpu reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
Achebe is a great author. Wole Soyinka is a great author. They are fairly different in style but can be similarly appreciated. Comparing both is like comparing Beethoven and Mozart, or Michelangelo and Da Vinci; or Maradonna and Pele. You musn't denigrate one to exalt the other. Omatseye has made this comparison before, but nowhere near as abrasively and borderline childishly (comparing his grandma to Achebe). Probably ethnically motivated, (yes, he's half Yoruba, and also being part Itsekiri, shares their Yoruba heritage), I bet he wouldn't have been so caustic if Achebe was alive.

Also laughable is the pretentious posturing in reviewing an intellectual superior: as if he were a teacher grading the essays of 2 children. He's obviously an attention-seeking troll and he's succeeded in his aims.

Threads like these make me curse the day I was born a Nigerian. Disgraceful tribal bashing as usual.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 08, 2013
oyb: lets get really mean

the only nationalistic thing achebe ever did was play goebbels for biafra. he died a biafran, not a nigerian. not that he shed blood for his country. he was in relative comfort

contrast that with wole soyinka who has always been at the forefront of fighting for whats right. i mean, the man was imprisoned.

achebe was an ibo man , but Wole is a Nigerian - he even stood up for the biafran mistake.

[size=18pt]
He died a loss to African literature and Africa in general
So says the world
Your words don't go beyond Your Nigerian tribe grin
Achebe spoke on world stage you are speaking on nairaland
Hahahaha
What a shame[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

No, what matters is making record sales, reaching out to the whole wide world,Taking Africa to the world, Fighting Racism with your works, being acclaimed by the world as the best in your field from Africa. Comprehende?
Where and when did the whole world came together and chose Asunu Asinyere Achebe as the best?
Abi you dey write folklore ni
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

And yet the same "igbo man" was given the name "Father of Modern African Literature"? Kid go and sleep, its past bed time!

Didnt I tell you guys? Nobel doesnt matter Father of bla bla bla is what matters

Can you tell us who is the "father of [size=18pt]Ancient[/size]African literature"?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 6:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: So translation of a literary work into many languages is your benchmark for excellence?

You reason with your anus! Maybe you should ask your fellow bigots to explain it to you. If Soyinka's work were that fantastic, how come he is still relatively unknown? The world gave Achebe that title and not Igbos. TFA was so good it had to be translated into 60 languages of the world. Now where is the "TELEPHONE CONVERSION"? Or how do you rate an excellent work of literature? dumbo
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 6:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
bloggernaija: Personally , I read things fall apart twice,watched the mini series and took examinations based on the book. I kind of agree with Sam here. The dept and range of a typical Nobel winning work of literature is very very high and has little to do with the personality of the writer.Things fall apart simply falls short in this regard.
You only need to check out wole Soyinka poem ,"A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION" to understand what Sam is talking about. This peom is so deep that even an adult will find it hard to u dear stand without explanation. It did not win him anything
YEAH, IT WAS DEEP BUT WAS IT OF BENEFIT TO YOU AS A BLACK MAN,AS AN AFRICAN, A BLOGGER?DID IT CHANGE THE VIEWS OF A RACIST WORLD AS REGARDS TO THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN? O.K WHAT DO YOU WANT A XENOPHOBIC RED-NECK TO RELATE YOU WITH? AS A BLACK MONKEY OR TFA? NO OFFENCE.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:
[size=18pt]
So says the world
Hahahaha
What a shame[/size]

we are talking wole vs achebe , not oyb vs achebe

or maybe we should do oyb vs nwando, veteran troublemaker and refugee from internet mods everywhere. where has nwando spoken outside of the villae square where she was uncermoniously shut up ? cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 6:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando:
[size=18pt]
So says the world
Hahahaha
What a shame[/size]
Why do you dunce keep referring to the world?
Biafra is not the world, it was just a decimated desert.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by mbulela: 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2013

the only nationalistic thing achebe ever did was play goebbels for biafra. he died a biafran, not a nigerian. not that he shed blood for his country. he was in relative comfort

Chairman, you fall my hand. i did not expect this kind of comment from you of all folks.
I wonder why we continue to disparage each other with this Biafra wahala? These same divisive tendencies the ruling class use to exploit the ruled. I've never made a decision no matter how irrelevant based on the ethnicity of a fellow Nigerian. I could not care less what Achebe,Awo, Ebenezer Babatope or even Chimamanda Adichie has to say on the matter. I can not be ruled by the actions and hate of a greedy and myopic ruling class did 45 years ago.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

You reason with your anus! Maybe you should ask your fellow bigots to explain it to you. If Soyinka's work were that fantastic, how come he is still relatively unknown? The world gave Achebe that title and not Igbos. TFA was so good it had to be translated into 60 languages of the world. Now where is the "TELEPHONE CONVERSION"? Or how do you rate an excellent work of literature? dumbo

Hehehehe
You never sabi ndi Ofe
The most evil group in Nigeria
Na their way na
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

Can you tell us who is the "father of [size=18pt]Ancient[/size]African literature"?

the only thing ibos do is go about fathering

fathering internet, fathering literature, fathering civil war,
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: So translation of a literary work into many languages is your benchmark for excellence?
Please, why would you bother translating a mediocre product into scores of languages and incorporating the mediocre works into tertiary and secondary curriculums around the world in vastly differing cultures? How does that even make sense to you?
Cusubaba: Mumu. 98% Africans don't know who is Wole Soyinka, talkless of reading his books. But 98% Africans and world as a whole knows Chinua Achebe and ''Things Fall Apart''
wole Soyinka has contributed more in literature and in any good thing you can think about. He wrote plays to reflect the mood of some of the countries in Africa. He wrote "The Play of Giannts" against Idi Amin's rule and some others against apartheid. He personally started what we now know as Federal Road Safety Commission on the campus of my alma mater, University of Ife (now OAU) in the early 1980s before it was taken over by then Governor Bola Ige of Oyo State and later the FG. He also set up Radio Kudirat in a forest (Tonkere) in OAU with some of his former students like Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State; Dele Momodu of Ovation; the SSG of Edo State, Prof. Julius Ihonvbere, etc.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by NeoXVI: 6:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
To all the dumbos passing off as intellectuals( grin) and critics( shocked) of some of the greatest literary works of all time, who themselves can't put together three English sentences without tabun, please desist. You wash your dirty linens in public when you do that. You're inadvertently telling us the grammar school you couldn't graduate from.

PS: You know yourselves wink
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Theflint1(m): 6:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
Eko Ile: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/127894-popular-columnist-sam-omatseye-under-fire-over-column-on-achebe.html

Sam Omatseye, under fire over column on Achebe

I like this sam dude, he's the most fearless writer in NIGERIA, the man no dey hold prisoner at all.

Kudos....

Instead of people critisising thd literary depth of the bøok and his books in general, why dont we focus on d lessons that can be drawn 4rm d books and pick his life as a motivation. TFA IS A GREAT BOOK NOBEL PRIZE OR NOT.

Big ups 2 doestovsky, victor hugo and gogol
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
Since what matters is "Father of Modern African Literature"

Who can tell us who is the father of "modern Asian literature", "Father of Ancient African literature"
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by mbulela: 6:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
oyb:

we are talking wole vs achebe , not oyb vs achebe

or maybe we should do oyb vs nwando, veteran troublemaker and refugee from internet mods everywhere. where has nwando spoken outside of the villae square where she was uncermoniously shut up ? cheesy cheesy

why must we discuss Wole vs achebe?
Wole and Achebe have made huge contributions to the world of literature and social criticism. We have been blessed by both.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: Why do you dunce keep referring to the world?
Biafra is not the world, it was just a decimated desert.

Is Achebe and Biafra your issue
Or is this about how your dirty black amala is a reflection of the dark ugly hearts that reside inside your cold souls?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=28pt]No individual 'fathered' modern African literature- Achebe[/size]

[size=18pt]http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/dec/02/father-modern-african-literature-achebe[/size]

While people are hell bent on giving him some bogus award, Ashebe himself had the commonsense to see the stupidity in such schemes
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 6:29pm On Apr 08, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Please, why would you bother translating a mediocre product into scores of languages and incorporating the mediocre works into tertiary and secondary curriculums around the world in vastly differing cultures? How does that even make sense to you?

Dont bother asking my brother. Seanet, Dayokunu and the rodent called EKO ILE are the dumbest people you would ever come across.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
mbulela:
Wole and Achebe have made huge contributions to the world of literature and social criticism. We have been blessed by both.

Biko tell them o
These ugly cold blooded tribe Nigeria was cursed with do nothing but spread hatred day in day out

Type in "Yoruba are " on google and see what you find

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
mbulela:

dude, na internet wink
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 6:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Arrant Nonsense!
Things fall apart in one aspect did promote racism or you never know?
Did you read the Osu stuff in that crap called things fall apart?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu: [size=28pt]No individual 'fathered' modern African literature- Achebe[/size]

[size=18pt]http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/dec/02/father-modern-african-literature-achebe[/size]

While people are hell bent on giving him some bogus award, Ashebe himself had the commonsense to see the stupidity in such schemes

That is called being gracious
Wise People don't blow their own trumpets
Ode
Something you showy loud mouthed goons wouldn't know

3 Likes

the only nationalistic thing achebe ever did was play goebbels for biafra. he died a biafran, not a nigerian. not that he shed blood for his country. he was in relative comfort all through the war, like the rest of the biafran high command.
all these noisemakers are lucky they weren't around then, they'd have been starving outside achebe's swanky quarters while the man gorged himself

Dem tink say na Maurice Iwu dey giv Nobel Prize.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by slimghost(m): 6:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: Arrant Nonsense!
Things fall apart in one aspect did promote racism or you never know?
Did you read the Osu stuff in that crap called things fall apart?

Please where did it promote racism? How old is this guy for Pete's sake? Your friends Dayokunu and Eko ILE must be laughing hard at this your sill.y statement! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Church Goers In Asaba Forced To Return Home Following Bad Road, Flood / Invasion Of Asari’s Residence Provocative – IYC / I’m Nigerian By Birth, Says Atiku- PUNCH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.