Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,474 members, 7,836,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (26046 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye / Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 8:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:

you will have to open his coconut head to put it in. ndi ofe never learn.
This is beyond your comprehension please.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by OneNaira6: 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
ROTFLMFAO @ Yorubas still in tears about achebe writing the truth about their self upheld demigod, awo. something even their demigod said himself when he was still alive which makes wonder why they so angry. Abeg sssh make we hear word. its been months and una still on the "let's put this man down" mood. bunch of women with divks (no offense to women on this forum). funny iteskiri are all of a sudden disregarded as Yoruba on this forum. i see the same set that have been going around annoying all of us that warri belong to them because of that clan whom they were back then claiming as one of them denying it now. see double take. well his mother is Yoruba and he works for a predominately yoruba company and lives in a predominately yoruba community which justify people's claim that his criticism is ethnically motivated. #just saying.

as many have said and written Achebe is known world wide. let me repeat that again, world wide as in made a name for himself in Africa, Asia, Europe, America, etc. world the fucking wide. a feat only few have made. even WS una are using to shield yourself from any attack, haven't had that privilege and i doubt he would in his lifetime. I love WS so im not even going to attack him or put him down just because a bunch of cowards are using him as a shield. To those that even did, I SMH at una.

now in terms of the noble prize, achebe is not the first great writer that didn't recieve noble prize and he most certaintly won't be the last. Mark Twain, one of the best author of all times, let's be realistic, never recieved nor was he ever considered. Henry ibesik, another great author. infact known as norway best author never recieved nor was ever nominated. Auden was another one who in fact was in consideration but disconsidered after he made a translation error for one of the past noble prize winner book, etc etc. Gandhi was not even considered for the peace prize and hilter, yes you heard me, Hitler was considered twice even. Achebe lost because of his defense against Conrad. while reading the replies on this thread, i noticed half of this man critics does not even know who conrad is or his works or what achebe defended Africa against. this just shows the illiteracy of Nigeria. so much for free education.

By the way, the rest that are informing una the noble prize isn't used as a rank of whose the better author are actually telling una the truth. the committee have long been in one controversy and criticism by many nation including their own. some even argue their decision for nomination and winning is getting worse by the year.

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mr. Globe:

you will have to open his coconut head to put it in. ndi ofe never learn.
THEY ARE SO BLINDED WIT IGNORANCE, JEALOUSY AND INFERIOTY-COMPLEX. ALL THEY KNOW IS HOW TO EAT GBEGIRI AND EWEDU. WHEN THEY ARE DONE, THEY OPEN THEIR MOUTH AND START SHOUTING OTI O! EGBAMI O! Yoruba-Yoruba O!

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
Omatseye seeks for cheap publicity. Let's pls clap for him so we can all rest
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by mobi5592: 8:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
yuzedo: Fucktardity instigated by primordial jealousy!

Achebe's Things Fall Apart is in the 100 Greatest Books of all Time.

Beat that... OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be mad not to respect that feat ma nuqqa! angry cool
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 8:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
slimghost:

Please answer my question. use your own standard of good music to judge!
should i just believe your own summary of music is base on lyrics?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by NeoXVI: 8:19pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: Fool.
(Anti)(Semitism)
How does that sound in your deluded mind.
Antisemitism is the attitude of expressing hatred towards people with semitic lineage.
Some of you only pass throw school, you don't allow school to pass through you.

If you had taken caution and done a google check of the word after two corrections, you would have desisted from further embarrassing yourself and publicizing your agege grammar school heritage.

From wiki:
Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is prejudice, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews for reasons connected to their Jewish heritage. A person who holds such views is called an "antisemite".
While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, the term was coined in the late 19th century in Germany as a more scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred"wink

from Webster: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

Do you get it now? Ode

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thank you achebe, your mark in world literature is indelible, nobel or no nobel. Omatseye, dayokanu, caustical, olumide, you all should drink otapiapia.

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Emperor007: 8:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
Rotimi47: Igbo slowpoke, why do idiots like you always bring †ђε yorubas who happen τ̅☺ be a superior tribe τ̅☺ yours into every argument? ♓☺w would you say that achebe is better than wole soyinka! Get your facts right; †ђε only book former american president Bill Clinton read on his way τ̅☺ Nigeria when he was president was wole soyinka's book, bill also met with wole when he came τ̅☺ Nigeria: finally, why was wole soyinka awarded the noble L before him if he was better? Or you think those that give †ђε award are dumb?

^^^

You didn't understand the concept, what warned the OP about, has finally happened. The topic has turned into a tribal marathon, and you're enjoying it, right?

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 8:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
nnenna.1:
Lol...like it or not, Achebe is the father of African literature and has made vaster literary impressions than any other African writer.

Thesaurus impressionists and Norwegian politics notwithstanding.

Adieu!
The award is done in a different country from Norway. It is done in Sweden, though they are both scandinavians!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by azimibraun: 8:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
Make anybody wey dem born frm 1970 above jst shut up.. What do u guys knw abt d book " TFA"? No be d film all of us watch for NTA? Una read d book? I watch d series on NTA in d 80's so on dis matter am nt competent to say anything. Let those who read the book purely talk.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 8:29pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: You are nothing but a brainwashed dunce of the zionists. If Arabs are semites how can they be accused of being antisemites?
I SWEAR, AWO-ALE IS A NATURAL F**KIN IIDIOT FOR WASTING HIS POLICIES ON YOUR DUMB FATHER. IF THE ARABS E.G EGYPTIANS,SYRIANS,PALESTINIANS E.T.C ARE ANTI-SEMITES, THEN THEY ARE ANTI-JEWISH. SO IF THEY ARE ANTI-JEWISH THEN THEY CANNOT BE JEWISH THEMSELVES CAN THEY? GET THAT INTO YOUR COCONUT HEAD. DUMBFUCK.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by bennynaza(m): 8:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
ilugunboy: The man really succeeded in turning a whole post civil war generation of iboland into some of the most vociferous tribal bigots of our time....he tried!
If ur goin to say bullshytt, say it wit some measure of accuracy. Its IGBOland not ibo... Ur useless mother tongue cant let u pronounce accurately-I can sympathatize wit dat, but u dont nid ur tongue to type. Or do u?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by dayokanu(m): 8:32pm On Apr 08, 2013
ak47mann: Dayokano

mumu pray you reach half achebe age cuz your type does not last long if you dont know.

Better to die young than to become a useless crippled bitter elder who would urge tribalism at that old age

2 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 8:35pm On Apr 08, 2013
Neo-XVI:

If you had taken caution and done a google check of the word after two corrections, you would have desisted from further embarrassing yourself and publicizing your agege grammar school heritage.

From wiki:
Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is prejudice, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews for reasons connected to their Jewish heritage. A person who holds such views is called an "antisemite".
While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, the term was coined in the late 19th century in Germany as a more scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred"wink

from Webster: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

Do you get it now? Ode
Let me simplify it for you.
1. Are Arabs Semites
Yes
2. What is the meaning of Anti
Against or Opposing
3. Can you hate yourself
I don't think so
4. Therefore Anti-semitism is a wrong definition of hatred of Jews by Arabs since Arabs themselves are Semites just like Jews.
Stop swallowing junks by your colonial masters, use your own brain.
Mind you, did you notice 19 century in your evidence?
Try and decipher why it was coined so in Germany and why it was in the 19th Century.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Tolexander: 8:44pm On Apr 08, 2013
I think i can now understand these people and their mentality to an extent now.

Chinua Achebe criticized Joseph Conrad work, the heart of darkness. His people are praising him. Little do they know that whatever you sow, you will reap.

Always giving excuse for every failure. Like genocide, starvation, blockade, they dont like us. Achebe didn't win the nobel prize, they blame it on achebe's criticism of the Joseph Conrad's word.
When will you people learn to acquire wisdom from your downfall and stop blaming the downfall on anybody.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by DuduNegro: 8:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
THE ICON OF GLOBAL RECOGNITION IS NOBEL PRIZE.

GETTING A NOBEL PRIZE RECOGNITION FOR YOUR FIELD OF WORK OR PROFESSION MEANS THAT YOUR WORK AND OUTPUT SERVES TO UPLIFT MANKIND AND ITS IDEALS.

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MUCH MASTERY ACHEBE POSESSES, WITHOUT A NOBEL PRIZE IN LITERATURE HIS OUTPUT SERVED NO MEANINGFUL UPLIFTMENT TO THE IDEALS OF MANKIND.

THEREFORE, IN GLOBAL TERMS, SOYINKA IS MORE ACCOMPLISHED AND SUPERIOR TO ACHEBE.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
@dayokanu, you have shown the agbero that you truly are. May you never be a cripple in jesus name. I never knew you could be this uncivilised, devilish, and animalistic.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by OneNaira6: 8:49pm On Apr 08, 2013
Tolexander: I think i can now understand these people and their mentality to an extent now.

Chinua Achebe criticized Joseph Conrad work, the heart of darkness. His people are praising him. Little do they know that whatever you sow, you will reap.

Always giving excuse for every failure. Like genocide, starvation, blockade, they dont like us. Achebe didn't win the nobel prize, they blame it on achebe's criticism of the Joseph Conrad's word.
When will you people learn to acquire wisdom from your downfall and stop blaming the downfall on anybody.

Awolowo free education in display people. you can't help but be grateful it never reached others shore
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by papaejima1: 8:56pm On Apr 08, 2013
ochukoccna:
Greece was once a world power
And the Volkswagen bettle was once a must have ride undecided
Every generation has its heroes
Check that greatest 100 books list in 10 years time

And i hope Sam's own will make the list in 10 yrs?

ndo!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
@tolexander, are you this retarded? Achebe joins the ranks of twain, tolstoy, etc, as deserving of the prestigious european prize. They were not rewarded for political cum cultural reasons. Google this fact and learn. What makes think the nobel is the greatest literary prize? Is it monetary value? Achebe would have gotten that if he had nodded at 50cents offer for the use of things fall apart title. Every serious critic knows the political twist nobel prize has taken.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by joeyfire(m): 9:03pm On Apr 08, 2013
manny4life:

Ok na, so all SAM did was express his POV, but when Prof. Achebe expressed his POV, you amongst other people tagged him "tribal bigot", now u can see why you people are known for double mouth.

They are also known for being full of bullshyte
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by seanet01: 9:04pm On Apr 08, 2013
^^^^^^
Story story o
There is no nobel.
Jump in the River
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
Tolexander: The award is done in a different country from Norway. It is done in Sweden, though they are both scandinavians!

The award is selected in Norway on behalf of Sweden. It is also awarded in Norway as well.

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 9:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
ichidodo: I SWEAR, AWO-ALE IS A NATURAL F**KIN IIDIOT FOR WASTING HIS POLICIES ON YOUR DUMB FATHER. IF THE ARABS E.G EGYPTIANS,SYRIANS,PALESTINIANS E.T.C ARE ANTI-SEMITES, THEN THEY ARE ANTI-JEWISH. SO IF THEY ARE ANTI-JEWISH THEN THEY CANNOT BE JEWISH THEMSELVES CAN THEY? GET THAT INTO YOUR COCONUT HEAD. DUMBFUCK.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by NeoXVI: 9:12pm On Apr 08, 2013
seanet01: Let me simplify it for you.
1. Are Arabs Semites
Yes
2. What is the meaning of Anti
Against or Opposing
3. Can you hate yourself
I don't think so
4. Therefore Anti-semitism is a wrong definition of hatred of Jews by Arabs since Arabs themselves are Semites just like Jews.
Stop swallowing junks by your colonial masters, use your own brain.
Mind you, did you notice 19 century in your evidence?
Try and decipher why it was coined so in Germany and why it was in the 19th Century.

cheesy shocked cheesy shocked Chai! Omo yoba sha!
Now you want to argue an English word with an English dictionary? I am embarrassed for you! You think we're speaking your mother tongue here?

Who taught you what "Semitism means"? The dictionary
Who taught you what "anti" means? The dictionary
The same dictionary tells you what antisemitism means and you want to use your head? The same head you failed through school with? grin grin grin

Your case is irredeemably pathetic!

5 Likes

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by Cusubaba(m): 9:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
Son-Of-El:
@dayokanu, you lousy worm, why does anything achebe or igbo success annoy you. Soyinka is soyinka. Achebe is achebe. Soyinka is important, thanks to nobel in sweden. Achebe even in death, is important, thanks to every literary conscience in the world.
With the advent of global communications, it might be difficult for those who don't remember a world without the internet to grasp the influence Achebe '' Things Fall Apart'' had on the literary world 50 years ago. At a time when Africa was still considered a mysterious, savage '' dark continent'' to many in the Western world, Achebe's vivid story telling about the brutality of colonialism helped break through walls of ignorance. Achebe's contribution to the literary world cannot be overstated and May His soul Rest is Peace.
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 9:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
ichidodo: SONS OF THE SOIL MY BLACK IGBO ANUZ, SINCE YOUR STU.PID FATHERS FOUGHT TO KEEP US TOGETHER, WHY ARE YOU HATING US FOR LUMBERING INTO YOUR LAND AND COLONIZING IT ESPECIALLY LAGOS. IS IT NOT THE DIVIDENDS OF THE CIVIL WAR? WHOSE FAULT IS IT THAT THE YERIBAS ARE LAZY AND DUMB? ME, THE SON OF A GUERILLA OR ODUDUWA THE SON OF A PIG? DUH?!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by naijaswag1: 9:16pm On Apr 08, 2013
The 105th Nobel Prize for literature, the richest literary prize in the world, is awarded this week. Over it's history, the prize has been awarded to works in over 25 different languages.There have been 10 British winners (including one British prime minister) four joint wins, 12 female recipients, one Yiddish winner and two writers who have declined the substantial prize.
The award has not been without controversy, [size=20pt]with prominent and successful writers [/size]often rejected in favour of more obscure choices and selections often tainted by political bias. The Prize has, however, celebrated some of the finest literary output of the last century.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/8808880/Nobel-Prize-for-Literature-the-good-the-bad-and-the-British.html

1 Like

Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by ichidodo: 9:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
ichidodo: THEY ARE SO BLINDED WIT IGNORANCE, JEALOUSY AND INFERIOTY-COMPLEX. ALL THEY KNOW IS HOW TO EAT GBEGIRI AND EWEDU. WHEN THEY ARE DONE, THEY OPEN THEIR MOUTH AND START SHOUTING OTI O! EGBAMI O! Yoruba-Yoruba O!
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by samkoro: 9:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
The nation? Is it a newspaper or a tissue paper?
Re: Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe by MrGlobe(m): 9:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ndi ofe are still arguing Achebe, a god to Ndi ofe tribe. Chaiiii, it sucks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply)

Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo / Sheikh Gumi To CJN: Leave Sharia Alone, Talk About Restructuring / Ganduje: Why Governors Are Afraid Of Signing Death Warrants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.