Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,577 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? (31478 Views)

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fans Thread / Which Is Your Favourite Ebenezer Obey Track / Ebenezer Obey And Sunny Ade: The Story Of Two Rivals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 13, 2013
Tundenoni: I'ld prefer Damoche!
You tink say na yo yo yo yo we dey talk here? We dey talk real music wey dem compose no be d one wey person do suffer tire im go com out say im get inspiration.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ibkgab001: 8:16am On Apr 13, 2013
Foyanmu or. Odolaye aremu
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by yoged(m): 8:17am On Apr 13, 2013
Obey! Obey! Obey! Listening to his song entitled ''London'' right now. Mo ko letter mo kowe ooooo, ero bami ki y'emi nule oooooooo.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Ribaman(m): 8:18am On Apr 13, 2013
I love both! My iPod and iPad have albums from both. :PI
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 13, 2013
SORTER: Why raining Abuse N Insult on this fellow Now?....Kai this kind of Manner shows little or no Parental Love towards U at all.... Morons like U even hit D like button
Juju music has been popular among Yoruba musicians, and has been sung by people like Ayinde Bakare, I K Dairo, S F Olowookere, etc; would say none of them was good enough to have been crowned king, even I K Dairo that was given the title of Member of the British Empire (MBE) by Queen Elizabeth? I ask this question because these men were alive when KSA was crowned. What you say if tomorrow, say, the Ooni, Awujale, Soun, Olubadan, or Alake crowns another musician.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by yoged(m): 8:20am On Apr 13, 2013
ibkgab001: Foyanmu or. Odolaye aremu
odolaye aremu all the way. Broz, iba yin ooooo. E ti pe gan. grin
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 13, 2013
ibkgab001: Foyanmu or. Odolaye aremu
Elemure Ogunyemi, Baba n Kwara, Yusuff Olatunji, Ayinla Omowura, Ojoge Daniels, Orlando Owoh, etc.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Sike(m): 9:02am On Apr 13, 2013
Sunny Ade o l'orogun ninu Olorin.... *singing*
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by toygod2: 9:33am On Apr 13, 2013
i tink, sunny is still making it and he dances so well, while Obey, sings decent songs. may b KSA has a slight edge ova
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by biolabee(m): 9:42am On Apr 13, 2013
sheymoni: All I can say is that, these two men are greedy & selfish. they sang all the songs & there's nothing left to sing 4 the present artists apart 4rm sangalo,fonkasibe, e dey pain make I comot am e.t.c.

This one don enter market finish

On topic the two are masters
In terms of global appeal seems ksa has it but I think obey has it with the older generation

But I know more ksa songs
Will try and get some obey songs

Anyone has a download link to their works
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by biolabee(m): 9:46am On Apr 13, 2013
kq: yes KSA is commercial but it will be a huge lie to say he has no lyrical or local content. My question is do you listen to the wordings or lyrics of his songs at all?
For example in The Merciful God their is a section where he describes people hanging out at a palmwine joint he goes in to a climax by singing " to mi ni igba kan se kan ko mi ko tun se kan ko ra re ka jo ma mu lo". That is the height of description of a way of life especially the Yorubas and he does it using the Ondo dialect (pardon me if i am wrong about the dialect). Apart from that it is a wrong assumption to say KSA sings praises while Obey does not. They both do Obey has sang praises of Ibadan, Ijesha and Iwo people before, i would say this is an integral part of music in Yoruba where you sing praises of popular people. it is also noticeable in our culture where most palace kings or rich people have an "akigbe" to sing their praises in the days gone by. So if you ask me i would say both had "akigbeism" in their music which was not peculiar to Juju alone it was done by almost all Yoruba musicians, Yusuf Olatunji, Ligali Mukaiba, Haruna Isola and even Fuji musicians like Sikiru Ayinde Barrister included.

And as regards to lyrical content please listen to sections of The Merciful God such as "Maajo" where he desribes life as ever continuous despite the horrible and bad circumstances we face. Also listen to Surprise where he sings "Alagemo esi o kosa pa aso esi da o" these are references to the culture and rich language of the Yorubas. Or in another album where he sings " ore ti o si ni oro ni o so o lo o ni si ni hun o ba o so ro kan oro kan si ko o hun bun o ni nkan"

In my own opinion i would describe KSA has robust and very broad in his composition with a lean towards including dance beats while Obey is much more mellow with huge references to story telling and icons of the society.

We must give KSA credit for keeping both lyrical and local content in his music but also introducing global aesthetics to it. Both in my own opinion are Masters of the arts and i enjoy listening to their music especially Ebenezer Obeys " Eni ri nkan He"

Find below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG7SnFmt84c"[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlBthbDhZ3E"[/flash]

I feel your analysis bro

Sunny lo lori tuntun
ema fi retirement fi sunny omo alade mo
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by slimyem: 9:57am On Apr 13, 2013
This is the post of this thread.Most of the posters on this thread are trash-talkers.
kq: yes KSA is commercial but it will be a huge lie to say he has no lyrical or local content. My question is do you listen to the wordings or lyrics of his songs at all?
For example in The Merciful God their is a section where he describes people hanging out at a palmwine joint he goes in to a climax by singing " to mi ni igba kan se kan ko mi ko tun se kan ko ra re ka jo ma mu lo". That is the height of description of a way of life especially the Yorubas and he does it using the Ondo dialect (pardon me if i am wrong about the dialect). Apart from that it is a wrong assumption to say KSA sings praises while Obey does not. They both do Obey has sang praises of Ibadan, Ijesha and Iwo people before, i would say this is an integral part of music in Yoruba where you sing praises of popular people. it is also noticeable in our culture where most palace kings or rich people have an "akigbe" to sing their praises in the days gone by. So if you ask me i would say both had "akigbeism" in their music which was not peculiar to Juju alone it was done by almost all Yoruba musicians, Yusuf Olatunji, Ligali Mukaiba, Haruna Isola and even Fuji musicians like Sikiru Ayinde Barrister included.

And as regards to lyrical content please listen to sections of The Merciful God such as "Maajo" where he desribes life as ever continuous despite the horrible and bad circumstances we face. Also listen to Surprise where he sings "Alagemo esi o kosa pa aso esi da o" these are references to the culture and rich language of the Yorubas. Or in another album where he sings " ore ti o si ni oro ni o so o lo o ni si ni hun o ba o so ro kan oro kan si ko o hun bun o ni nkan"

In my own opinion i would describe KSA has robust and very broad in his composition with a lean towards including dance beats while Obey is much more mellow with huge references to story telling and icons of the society.

We must give KSA credit for keeping both lyrical and local content in his music but also introducing global aesthetics to it. Both in my own opinion are Masters of the arts and i enjoy listening to their music especially Ebenezer Obeys " Eni ri nkan He"

Find below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG7SnFmt84c"[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlBthbDhZ3E"[/flash]
^You the man!!

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by biolabee(m): 10:03am On Apr 13, 2013
mikeapollo:

Why the abuse? Why the insults?

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.
You are free to exhibit the kind of training and upbringing you are made of.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Shugamania(f): 10:21am On Apr 13, 2013
They're both masters of the game.
Your collection is incomplete if u havent got both.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Alxmyr(m): 10:23am On Apr 13, 2013
damoskiy: I have listened to both of them live on stage.would prefer obey to sunny .Obey has this command on stage.both the young and old dance to his music.sunny majorly is for the older generation.sunny is kind of arrogant.if you don't play well on stage with him.he could collect the instrument from you and play it himself.obey on the other hand would tell you to play on a certain key ad would just correct you.my five cent.

You don't know what you are talking about. Obey does not have stage craft at all. He stands on one spot and sing, Sunny on other hand can beat any musician on stage, even D'Banj and Tuface with all their youthfulness cannot stand Sunny Ade's energy on stage.
Get you fact right pls.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Smooyis(m): 10:23am On Apr 13, 2013
Obey is gud KSA is gud. KSA music is fast tempo, danceable, and good for lovers of jazz because of its dexterity in Guitar, piano etc. Obey music is loved by the elders because of its philosophical depth and spirituality, while the youths love the fast tempo KSA music. For me i love both.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Alxmyr(m): 10:42am On Apr 13, 2013
Kan go kango kango alagogo ko ma ro
Bina ba wole oh, okun kun a lo, imole de.
Mo ti b'Oluwa seleri, mo ti b'Oluwa pinnu
laye mi ti mo wa kin na se asedanu
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 13, 2013
mikeapollo:

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!

wow! Knock out
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by akoraye(m): 12:53pm On Apr 13, 2013
My Brother! dont mind shadraccch<, he doesnt know anything about Juju music, Im a Juju highlife musician with 3 Albums to my credit. Obey's music is more melodious than that of king sunny Ade! forget about the issue of kingship by Alafin of oyo! He purposefully gave the crown to king sunny Ade because of his linage praises that sunny ade sang, Alaafin knows nothing about musik. Moreover go and listen to some musician that are obeys product like Uncle lai Addis if not for Lai Addis, Yinka ayefele wouldn't have been a famous musician because Lai Addis composes all Ayefeles musik. Bros OBEY IS A TALENTED MUSICIAN!
mikeapollo:

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2013
Chief Commander or Baba Ade... na waa they are both masters!!

... but have you seen this video on the exact same topic? grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkGHIAcsqdM
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by stedox: 8:56pm On Apr 13, 2013
Tony Spike: My Kenyan friend heard Ebenezer Obey's song, "Mo f'oro mi le e lowo", just ONCE and he started begging for it. I think Obey's music is more African in beat and rhythm, it captures the soul of African music of his time and even in these modern days. It appeals to Africans who love the excessive use of traditional drums and guitars, irrespective of the inherent language barrier. Sunny Ade, on the other hand, "adjusted" his music to suite international appeal with the use of techno and pop beats. To me, Sunny Ade is a somewhat a traitor to "proper" Yoruba and African music. He adjusted his music to conform to international (actually American and Eurocentric) appeal, no wonder he is known. On the philosophical and logical flow of music story, Obey beats Sunny hands down. Generally, Sunny is mainly a praise singer while Obey is a story teller...
when u talk about diversity, its sunny not som1 dat sits in a corner of his rum dat does d same tin, d same way ova and ova again. Dere's no crime in takin d yoruba culture 2 d limelight
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by victorv12(m): 10:30pm On Apr 13, 2013
Ebenezer Obey is like Nas of High life music, while Sunny Ade is like Biggie of Juju music. I prefer Obey, he's highly poetic than the latter!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Apr 13, 2013
victorv12: Ebenezer Obey is like Nas of High life music, while Sunny Ade is like Biggie of Juju music. I prefer Obey, he's highly poetic than the latter!

Disagree! You need to listen older LPs to appreciate Sunny's genius in this regard.

Take this one for example, although not quite an old one but for me, only a genius can make the lyrics here work. I break out in goose pimples every time I listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2xHsqlko-c
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 13, 2013
And it is absolutely ridiculous that most posters on this thread accuse Sunny of praise singing when Obey's greatest hit is 'Board Members'. That LP was praise singing from the beginning to the end.

I don't like it when people pit two masters against each other. Both men are geniuses in my opinion and I listen to both extensively depending on my mood.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ijimah(m): 10:46pm On Apr 13, 2013
Who is comparin dis two na,ahah, i still dey small wen i don dey listen to my daddy in d yoruba,d evergreen obey,i am nt evn a yoruba bt obey na number one,his songs re forever,endless songs frm generatn to generatns,i salute u baba,,
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 2:24am On Apr 14, 2013
naijababe:

Disagree! You need to listen older LPs to appreciate Sunny's genius in this regard.

Take this one for example, although not quite an old one but for me, only a genius can make the lyrics here work. I break out in goose pimples every time I listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2xHsqlko-c

Sunny is great with lyrics also no doubt but Obey beats him hands down just as he's better than Obey in beats and stage entertainment.
The track you posted above (eri okan) can only be composed by a genius no doubt but for any one of Sunny track like this there are at least 4 or 6 of such tracks composed by Obey, from the very old one like; Ore mi ye se pelepele, eni ri nkan he, oro awa eda nile aye, to not very old ones like gbeja mi o, orisirisi ore lo wa, mo ti pinu, generation to generation and many more.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 2:32am On Apr 14, 2013
naijababe: And it is absolutely ridiculous that most posters on this thread accuse Sunny of praise singing when Obey's greatest hit is 'Board Members'. That LP was praise singing from the beginning to the end.

I don't like it when people pit two masters against each other. Both men are geniuses in my opinion and I listen to both extensively depending on my mood.

Many posters here may be very young, I believe that's why they make such submission. Obey is legendary when it comes to praise singing especially the composition of his lyrics. Board members that you stated above is one of the best and to my surprise, I learnt that the track was never rehearsed. There are many more like where he praised Olusegun Osoba (Album Determination), Bode Osinusi, MKO Abiola and most importantly Imortality for the memory of the late sage Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by MMotimo: 4:07am On Apr 14, 2013
This is what KSA once sang:

Sunny Ade o lo ro gun ninu olorin
Isola o ba won di te ninu onilu
KSA, dakun, ma wo won lo ye . . . . . .,

KSA himself said he had no rival, I approve that proclamation cool
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by naptu2: 6:18am On Apr 14, 2013
MMotimo: This is what KSA once sang:

Sunny Ade o lo ro gun ninu olorin
Isola o ba won di te ninu onilu
KSA, dakun, ma wo won lo ye . . . . . .,

KSA himself said he had no rival, I approve that proclamation cool

I absolutely love this song. If I remember correctly, this was from the Authority album, right?
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ZACHIE: 9:02am On Apr 14, 2013
Won l`omode o mela,
Ol`oun mela katakata```

Sunny rules
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by FOLLEY20(m): 4:30pm On Apr 14, 2013
I prefer Ebenezer Obey to Sunny Ade on d point dat ever since, Obey used 2 sing Xtian songs &moral lessons songs.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by shadrach77: 6:57pm On Apr 14, 2013
naptu2:

I absolutely love this song. If I remember correctly, this was from the Authority album, right?
yes that's authority - he started with the track "alase laye alase loorun" cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Download Full Album: Polo G – The Goat Zip, Rar & Mp3 / DJ Barbie Mixtape "Lituation" / Murphy Ijemba Of Brila Fm Is Now With The New Max Fm

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124