Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,210 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? (31428 Views)

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fans Thread / Which Is Your Favourite Ebenezer Obey Track / Ebenezer Obey And Sunny Ade: The Story Of Two Rivals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ZACHIE: 7:28pm On Apr 12, 2013
chucky234: Singing through the nostrils like Tonto Dikeh,that's good music abi wetin you think
LMAO
Can,t disagree less or more
Dazz all
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by konkocious(m): 7:41pm On Apr 12, 2013
I respect both of them...but the question I want pple to answer is...why are juju players of today play Obey's style?
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by kq(m): 7:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
yes KSA is commercial but it will be a huge lie to say he has no lyrical or local content. My question is do you listen to the wordings or lyrics of his songs at all?
For example in The Merciful God their is a section where he describes people hanging out at a palmwine joint he goes in to a climax by singing " to mi ni igba kan se kan ko mi ko tun se kan ko ra re ka jo ma mu lo". That is the height of description of a way of life especially the Yorubas and he does it using the Ondo dialect (pardon me if i am wrong about the dialect). Apart from that it is a wrong assumption to say KSA sings praises while Obey does not. They both do Obey has sang praises of Ibadan, Ijesha and Iwo people before, i would say this is an integral part of music in Yoruba where you sing praises of popular people. it is also noticeable in our culture where most palace kings or rich people have an "akigbe" to sing their praises in the days gone by. So if you ask me i would say both had "akigbeism" in their music which was not peculiar to Juju alone it was done by almost all Yoruba musicians, Yusuf Olatunji, Ligali Mukaiba, Haruna Isola and even Fuji musicians like Sikiru Ayinde Barrister included.

And as regards to lyrical content please listen to sections of The Merciful God such as "Maajo" where he desribes life as ever continuous despite the horrible and bad circumstances we face. Also listen to Surprise where he sings "Alagemo esi o kosa pa aso esi da o" these are references to the culture and rich language of the Yorubas. Or in another album where he sings " ore ti o si ni oro ni o so o lo o ni si ni hun o ba o so ro kan oro kan si ko o hun bun o ni nkan"

In my own opinion i would describe KSA has robust and very broad in his composition with a lean towards including dance beats while Obey is much more mellow with huge references to story telling and icons of the society.

We must give KSA credit for keeping both lyrical and local content in his music but also introducing global aesthetics to it. Both in my own opinion are Masters of the arts and i enjoy listening to their music especially Ebenezer Obeys " Eni ri nkan He"

Find below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG7SnFmt84c"[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlBthbDhZ3E"[/flash]

3 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by devour129: 7:46pm On Apr 12, 2013
damoskiy: I have listened to both of them live on stage.would prefer obey to sunny .Obey has this command on stage.both the young and old dance to his music.sunny majorly is for the older generation.sunny is kind of arrogant.if you don't play well on stage with him.he could collect the instrument from you and play it himself.obey on the other hand would tell you to play on a certain key ad would just correct you.my five cent.
I will do the same,I mean collect the instrument and play it myself if someone is trying to distract the rest of the band.its called being a perfectionist

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 7:54pm On Apr 12, 2013
One the best evergreen song released in 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYktftCoarg
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by slimyem: 8:13pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ilaje44:

Aburo, awon ti won ni asewo ni e, won o puro. Asewo paraku ni e. Gbogbo awon omo obinrin Nairaland lo fe nyansh patapata. Bi o ti wun ki o ri, ranti eleda re nigba ewe re, yee aburo hu'wa rere.

Sugbon bi o ba l'aya ti ko l'ewa, ma fi se ibinu. Fe aya naa sile nitori omo. Nitori wipe omo l'asehinde.

Maa gbadun adun ti ko de ereke maa lo jare. Ti ilu ba si pin si meji, ti Oba ni ki o se o. Nitori ijekuje lo ng mu agbalagba dobale fun omode o...
lol.
Oga,ki lo de?
E 'n so tele ni?E je ko sow wild oats e nisin ti aye gbaa.Igba ara la 'n bura fun o jare!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Swaggot00(m): 8:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeyhernadez: NA MY PAPA GUD PASS
mumu.. People they talk , goat come join..
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by NeuroBoss(m): 8:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
foyeks2001: I love Obey's music especially where he sang praises of d Ijeshas...I always have a swollen head each time I listen 2 dat part...as for Sunny...Hmmmmm...ww.isokay.thatsall
foyeks2001, Ijesa ni o re a? O kare la e. Uyan a yun lenu re
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 12, 2013
Me I don't know o, all I know is that Sunny's music makes me dance and Obey's makes me introspective. I can't pick one over the other, both have a place and time.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Biggyd2: 8:41pm On Apr 12, 2013
♩ ♪ ♫...Commander Ebenezer... do your best and leave the rest.♩ ♪ ♫
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by farem: 9:08pm On Apr 12, 2013
The Luckiest musician in africa is KSA!
-LONGEST ON STAGE
-WEALTH
-HEALTH
-STATURE
-CHECK HIS FELLOWS, MOST ARE LONG GONE FROM STAGE OR BEYOND!
-WORD WORLD FAME... Fault it
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by gratiaeo(m): 9:10pm On Apr 12, 2013
IYA NGBALI: who knows you?ko se iru e la wa lagbo awon enia gidi
Waiting this one de speak? Abeg shift oo
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by 4xit(m): 9:54pm On Apr 12, 2013
I rep king sunny ade, do u all know KSA still sing and produces interesting music with current flavour every year, pls oooo sunny na babaaa ooooo[color=#006600]
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ZACHIE: 10:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
gratiaeo:
Waiting this one de speak? Abeg shift oo

See how poor you are?
Your English is poor, your pidgin is miserable and your attitude is gutter.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Seyilome(m): 10:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
I dont think any one loves Obey's song than I do.the man is a genious.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Odafe77: 11:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
Sunny Ade is d first Nigerian musician release nonstop Lp. The juju musician to stand play. His crowning king was don by a news print, The Entertainer Newspaper in 1976 by opinion pool. The Alaafin of Oyo did d crowning. HE introduce d Hawaii giltar, the talking drum and d electric drum in juju music. I am not Yoruba man, but I have been following juju music 4 4decade now, SUNNY King.

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by OlamideOkadigbo(m): 11:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
ighoosagie: As u go dey compare igbo and yoruba man, just as if u dey compare basketballer n footballer or u dey compare fali pupa and tuface, as long nor b d same language dem dey use perform, as person way no dey understand d oda one language go tk no which one good pass
dey were both yoruba and played d same genre of music.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by franktolk(m): 11:43pm On Apr 12, 2013
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by olumidazz: 12:07am On Apr 13, 2013
Jensori re edumare jensori re, biti mko abiola aare ona kankanfo ti gbogbo yoruba, oba fi owo olare kanmilara kin di olowo- Boda sunday all the way obey bawo

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 13, 2013
timecop28: In the future, Our kids will in a similar manner compare Tuface and D'Banj. Some of them (the ignorant few) will pick D'banj over Tuface and back it up with Useless facts. E.g. He was signed unto Good music, He 'is' richer, he partied with Kanye, Jigga, Common and the likes,His energy on stage is greater e.t.c. My point is diff strokes for diff folks. Be that has it may, Some people are just deaf to Good music!
Sadly I could only contribute one like to the above. Nice play on words.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:24am On Apr 13, 2013
ZACHIE:

See how poor you are?
Your English is poor, your pidgin is miserable and your attitude is gutter.

Eww.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Tundenoni(m): 1:00am On Apr 13, 2013
I'ld prefer Damoche!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Heykins1(m): 1:56am On Apr 13, 2013
K.S.A can entertain ppl frm mng till daybreak wit both music and dance but Obey can not.u yurslf knw.

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ddeola: 3:55am On Apr 13, 2013
Obey anytime,anyday,anywhere...
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by supereagle(m): 5:32am On Apr 13, 2013
mikeapollo: Please, dont compare the two of them.....Obey is class ahead of Sunny.

Sunny has the stage-craft....dancing, that is all he has over Obey!

But when it comes to music composition, arrangement, instrumentation, delivery and timeless evergreen songs....Obey is the real King!
Obey's songs are songs of yesteryears, today and the future. His gentle nature did not allow him to do / say/brag about many things...but if you really know music, you would appreciate that Obey is ahead of Sunny.

If you analyse the timing of their releases, you would realise that Sunny learnt and borrowed a lot of things from Obey's music
God Bless you for the truth.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Localamos(m): 5:46am On Apr 13, 2013
KSA any day, any time...
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 6:51am On Apr 13, 2013
@ Shadrack 77, you should be the person to apply sense for saying nobody should be crowned king of juju music when KSA is still alive and can't perform. Music is not a royal stool. Did juju music didn't start with the likes of Sunny Ade and Ebenezer Obey? Ayinde Bakare, I K Dairo, S F Olowookere, etc played this genre of music before Obey and KSA, was there none capable of being crowned king among them? No be your fault.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 13, 2013
The worst thing that can that can happen to a man is to be asked to be judged by another that knows little or nothing about a case. Youths of today that don't know anything about music a making judgement on two great musicians, not entertainers. I say this because our youths only know hip hop, that has nothing meaningful when compared with Yoruba genres like: juju, apala, asiko, adama, sakara, were, etc. God save you, Shadrack 77 I didn't know when you quoted me and I've been prevented from quoting you.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Smooyis(m): 7:47am On Apr 13, 2013
Ksa Obey Ksa Obey ksa Obey ..........O
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by SORTER: 8:01am On Apr 13, 2013
Why raining Abuse N Insult on this fellow Now?....Kai this kind of Manner shows little or no Parental Love towards U at all.... Morons like U even hit D like button
shadrach77:

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by yoged(m): 8:02am On Apr 13, 2013
foyeks2001: I love Obey's music especially where he sang praises of d Ijeshas...I always have a swollen head each time I listen 2 dat part...as for Sunny...Hmmmmm...ww.isokay.thatsall
same here too. Thats my favourite. Dou both of dem are class but i love obey's music.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by SORTER: 8:04am On Apr 13, 2013
shadrach77:

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

#EndSARS: Falz Releases ‘Johnny’ Video In Honour Of Victims Of Police Brutality / Star Quest: Nigerian Musical Talent Hunt Show / Osayimwen Osahon George: Don't Watch Blue Films Just Watch Nigerian Music Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.