Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? (31425 Views)

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fans Thread / Which Is Your Favourite Ebenezer Obey Track / Ebenezer Obey And Sunny Ade: The Story Of Two Rivals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by iphedahyor(m): 6:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
Sunny Ade:

Sunny Adé's music is characterised by, among other instruments, the talking drum - an instrument indigenous to his Yoruba roots, the guitar and his peculiar application to jùjú music,[6][7] that would easily put him in the same class as guitar musicians like Santana. His music is in the age old tradition of singing poetic lyrics ("ewi" in Yoruba) and praise of dignitaries as well components of Juju (traditional African belief) called the Ogede (casting a spell). Hence, Adé's music constitutes a record of the oral tradition of his people for posterity.

King Sunny Ade and The African Beats tour with the typically large African line-up of 20-30 members. They play a spacey, jamming sort of Juju, characterized by tight vocal harmonies, intricate guitar work, backed by traditional talking drums, percussion instruments, and even adding the unusual pedal steel guitar and accordian.

Ebenezer Obey:

He began his professional career in the mid-1950s after moving to Lagos. After tutelage under Fatai Rolling-Dollar's band, he formed a band called The International Brothers in 1964, playing highlife–jùjú fusion. The band later metamorphosed into Inter-Reformers in the early-1970s, with a long list of Juju album hits on the West African Decca musical label.

Obey began experimenting with Yoruba percussion style and expanding on the band by adding more drum kits, guitars and talking drums. Obey's musical strengths lie in weaving intricate Yoruba axioms into dance-floor compositions. As is characteristic of Nigerian Yoruba social-circle music, the Inter-Reformers band excel in praise-singing for rich Nigerian socialites and business tycoons. Obey, however, is also renowned for Christian spiritual themes in his music and has since the early-1990s retired into Nigerian gospel music ministry.

Nairalanders, lovers of Juju music and fans of both musicians, who do you think is the better artiste/musician between this two?

Who in your opinion was more innovative and influenced the juju genre and Nigerian music at large more?

Both command appearance fees running into millions and only very few peeps (Like Otunba Mike Adenuga) can afford to have both perform at their events but if you were to choose one of the two to play at your function/event (maybe wedding), who would you rather have?

Lets Debate. . ..
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mikeapollo: 4:12pm On Apr 11, 2013
Please, dont compare the two of them.....Obey is class ahead of Sunny.

Sunny has the stage-craft....dancing, that is all he has over Obey!

But when it comes to music composition, arrangement, instrumentation, delivery and timeless evergreen songs....Obey is the real King!
Obey's songs are songs of yesteryears, today and the future. His gentle nature did not allow him to do / say/brag about many things...but if you really know music, you would appreciate that Obey is ahead of Sunny.

If you analyse the timing of their releases, you would realise that Sunny learnt and borrowed a lot of things from Obey's music

42 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by shadrach77: 9:25pm On Apr 11, 2013
mikeapollo: Please, dont compare the two of them.....Obey is class ahead of Sunny.

Sunny has the stage-craft....dancing, that is all he has iver Obey!

But when it comes to music composition, arrangement, instrumentation, delivery and timeless evergreen songs....Obey is the real King!
Obey's songs are songs of yesteryears, today and the future. His gentle nature did not allow him to do / say/brag about many things...but if you really know music, you would appreciate that Obey is ahead of Sunny.

If you analyse the timing of their releases, you would realise that Sunny learnt and borrowed a lot of things from Obey's music

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry

16 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mikeapollo: 9:02am On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77:

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry

Why the abuse? Why the insults?

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.
You are free to exhibit the kind of training and upbringing you are made of.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!

102 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by inspiredm(m): 11:53am On Apr 12, 2013
It will be a Hard Pick, Both of Them are Maestros.

7 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nwogbe: 11:54am On Apr 12, 2013
Frankly speaking i no sabi

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by debetmx(m): 11:56am On Apr 12, 2013
I prefer Ebenezer Obey but i dont subscribe to the fact that one is better than the other. They are both greats in their own rights.

5 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by foyeks2001(f): 11:56am On Apr 12, 2013
I love Obey's music especially where he sang praises of d Ijeshas...I always have a swollen head each time I listen 2 dat part...as for Sunny...Hmmmmm...ww.isokay.thatsall

6 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by talk2s(m): 11:57am On Apr 12, 2013
"They that compare themselves are not wise"- Bible. I urge us to put a nail to the coffin of these comparism threads and learn to only acknowledge, appreciate, emulate those stakeholders of different industries for doing well; but only constructively, not destructively criticise them, if and when they go wrong!

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:58am On Apr 12, 2013
Ebenezer Obey left secular music early in his career. He's now into gospel.
Sunny Ade has been doing well with his juju style of music.
It's diff to say who's better. If Ebenezer Obey had remained in secular music till now, it ll be easier to judge.

3 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by 1ndidi2(f): 11:59am On Apr 12, 2013
I'm not yoruba but whenever I hear ebenezer Obey's song I picture sometime in the old days,with a cool weather,children playing, fathers playing board games and mothers gisting!!

I prefer obey.

18 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ayodeji752: 11:59am On Apr 12, 2013
Both are gr8 buh i'll pick Sunny Ade.he's even d most influential

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Kaxmytex(m): 12:00pm On Apr 12, 2013
na KSA naw...
Dat man fit dance on a rope....i no knw d kynd leg wey im get

[size=28pt]¤following thread¤[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
NA MY PAPA GUD PASS
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Kaxmytex(m): 12:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
talk2s: "they that compare themselves are not wise"- I urge us to put a nail to the coffin of this comparism threads and only learn to only acknowledge, appreciate, emulate these stakeholders of different industries; but inly constructively, not destructively criticise them, if and when they go wrong!
[size=28pt]GBAM![/size]
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by timecop28: 12:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
How many of you dem don born when these men dey do music actively?? Even OP sef. you can only choose your favourite, not who is better. Me no fit say o, but i enjoy listening to Obey's classic tunes more than KSA's. dts all!

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 12:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

Why the abuse? Why the insults?

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.
You are free to exhibit the kind of training and upbringing you are made of.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!

Thumb up for you!
I'm a die hard Obey fan I listen to his music EVERYDAY and sometimes I cannot but wonder how he got the inspiration to compose many of his wonderful songs. I'm going to start Ober fan thread on NL where all lovers of this legend can come together to share and enjoy his songs together.
My day is not complete without listening to Obey, right now even at work I'm miming evergreen song 16 track 1: yungba yungba

8 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 12, 2013
I think the issue of who is king should not arise because both legends impacted positively on numerous lives across Nigeria & beyond. Well done Chief Commander...well done KSA. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mysticgal(f): 12:07pm On Apr 12, 2013
when i listen to the beats of sunny and obeys music,i sway but i dont know the song,it's diffrent frm the igbo's style of music which am used to.

3 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by damoskiy(m): 12:08pm On Apr 12, 2013
I have listened to both of them live on stage.would prefer obey to sunny .Obey has this command on stage.both the young and old dance to his music.sunny majorly is for the older generation.sunny is kind of arrogant.if you don't play well on stage with him.he could collect the instrument from you and play it himself.obey on the other hand would tell you to play on a certain key ad would just correct you.my five cent.

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by timecop28: 12:08pm On Apr 12, 2013
1ndidi2: I'm not yoruba but whenever I hear ebenezer Obey's song I picture sometime in the old days,with a cool weather,children playing, fathers playing board games and mothers gisting!!

I prefer obey.
Yezzur! I can relate to this. Obey's songs have that feel good tune in them..,dat is why i like them a lot. They can however induce nostalgia sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 12, 2013
As u go dey compare igbo and yoruba man, just as if u dey compare basketballer n footballer or u dey compare fali pupa and tuface, as long nor b d same language dem dey use perform, as person way no dey understand d oda one language go tk no which one good pass
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Kaxmytex(m): 12:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
damoskiy: I have listened to both of them live on stage.would prefer obey to sunny .Obey has this command on stage.both the young and old dance to his music.sunny majorly is for the older generation.sunny is kind of arrogant.if you don't play well on stage with him.he could collect the instrument from you and play it himself.obey on the other hand would tell you to play on a certain key ad would just correct you.my five cent.
shockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Ovap: 12:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
Mikeapollo has said it all,he really knw much abt both of dem. If u want to argue dis,go n ask or make research 4rm elderly person dat loves music in ur enviröns/family. Wish both of dem best in life.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

America-based Singer Lisa Yaro Brings Energetic Performance To Stage / #EndSARS: Falz Releases ‘Johnny’ Video In Honour Of Victims Of Police Brutality / Star Quest: Nigerian Musical Talent Hunt Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.