Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,514 members, 7,816,250 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? (31468 Views)

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fans Thread / Which Is Your Favourite Ebenezer Obey Track / Ebenezer Obey And Sunny Ade: The Story Of Two Rivals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by cardoso111(m): 2:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is the baba any day
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by babanne(m): 2:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
Both of them are legendary. They handle the guitar in an amazing way. No need to compare them.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by huptin(m): 2:41pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

Why the abuse? Why the insults?

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.
You are free to exhibit the kind of training and upbringing you are made of.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Sunny Ade has two grammy awards nominations and won the best POP music performance at the world music awards in 1992. does Obey come close?

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey all day long... 'Oro na re gbogbo gbajumooo'
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by metti(m): 2:44pm On Apr 12, 2013
Kingscee: If dem like make dem sing 4rm naw till next hundred years, i no understand dem language.
Do you understand the language of every music you play?
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by topazjosh(m): 2:45pm On Apr 12, 2013
I prefer obey commander butSunny ade is more influential and gt more popularity allover the world than chief ebeneze obey,I love obey song die.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by sherrylo: 3:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
sunny ade always. awo egungu lobirin lese, awo gelede lobirin le mo, bo obirnin fo ju kan oro oro agbe. ekilo fo mo odeeeeee
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mikeapollo: 3:19pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77: i find it hard to believe that people would even dare to compare Obey with Sunny - even Obey himself knows that Sunny is better. To be nominated for Grammies twice, na beans? Sunny once starred in a foreign film - Stiggs and Friends or something, can't remember - KSA is known internationally and even performed as recently as last year at the Pre Olympics Music Festival in London. Ask any white man about Sunny and they'll know about him. Obey is not known beyond the shores of Nigeia wink wink wink smiley smiley

So by your analogy, do you say Femi is better than Fela because Femi was also nominated for Grammy while Fela was not?
There are many factors and coincidences that make such nomination to happen. Dont be deceived
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Tropilo(m): 3:21pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is good and does more of Gospel and soul inspiring songs.

Sunny is more appealing to non-Yoruba's and far more internationally recognized.
I remember former President Bill Clinton mention him on his visit to Nigeria in his speech at the NASS in 1999.

As a non-Yoruba, i prefer Sunny cos he has style and poise.

Have watched him live in England. Dont think i can pay to watch Obey, his prowess not undermind, though. The baba can be boring!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by dolphinife: 3:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
The question we suppose to ask is this....
How many albums have they sold so far?
How many fans do they have worldwide?
How many internationally acclaimed awards have they received?
Who is still more relevant even up till today?
Who still enjoys the patronage of the people(federal, state and local government functions, individual politicians parties, corporate bodies,etc)
Performance wise, who captivates you on stage?
Who's got the most evergreen songs up till date?
I guess the answers to these questions tilted towards Sunny Ade. WIKIPEDIA has got this to say about SUNNY ADE....
1. He's a popular performer of Yoruba Nigerian jùjú music and a pioneer of modern world music. He has been classed as one of the most influential musicians of all time
2. Sunny Adé was the first to introduce the pedal steel guitar to Nigerian pop music. He was the first to introduce the use of synthesizers, clavinet, vibraphone, tenor guitar into the jùjú music repertoire such as dub and wah-wah guitar licks.
3. When Adé headlined concerts in the United States, The New York Times's Robert Palmer described one of Adé's several concerts in New York in the 1980s one of the most significant pop music events of the decade[citation needed] and Adé as "one of the world's great band leaders".[4] His second album under the cusp of international stardom was Synchro System which attracted many converts of world music[5] and earned him a Grammy nomination in the folk/ethnic music category.
4.In recent times, hip hop music appears to be holding sway with the electronic media in Nigeria with massive airplays. Nonetheless, Sunny Adé's musical output has continued to inspire a vast generation of other Nigerian musicians, who believe in the big band musical set up which Sunny Adé and late Fela Kuti are noted for.[11] The musician, Lagbaja is one of the very many musicians Sunny Adé's music has inspired. In 2008, his contributions to world music was recognised; as he was given an award for his outstanding contribution to world music at the Reggae and world music awards held at the Appollo Theater in Harlem, New York.
5. At the beginning of another round of tour of the United States and Canada, Sunny Adé, now known as The Chairman in his home country, was appointed a visiting professor of music at the Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife.[12] In July the same year King Sunny Adé was inducted into the Afropop Hall of Fame, at the Brooklyn African Festival in the United States. He dedicated the award to the recently deceased Michael Jackson.
6. Sunny has collaborated with major artists such as Manu Dibango (Wakafrika) and Stevie Wonder (played harmonica in Aura).
Sunny Adé's brief recordings with Island Records opened the floodgates for other world music artist like Senegalese Youssou N'Dour, Mali's Salif Keita and a host of others
ALL THESE PUT TOGETHER TESTIFY TO THE FACT THAT SUNNY ADE IS THE BEST MUSICIAN TO COME OUT OF NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 12, 2013
If you talk about true local content in juju music, I give it to Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey. While King Sunny Ade is good at playing the guitar, beginning from about the mid-1980s he started westernizing the way he plays it. This is unlike Ebenezer Obey whose only change was in the traditional way of ending a long instrumentals and later singing was with a special sound from his guitar: "tan tan tan tan tan, tanra."
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by omiobo: 3:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey all the way. I rarely buy naija music. Among others I bought obey album like volume 1 and 2.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mikeapollo: 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2013
Prince0500: May be u need to check ur facts vry well nd unfortunately u jst comitted a worse offence dat u are acusing sme for,yea ur hme trainin is questionable.U said Sunny brags nd also dat who is alafin of oyo?No well home grown nd well culturd dude wld use dis words on dis personalities.People like u shld nt be taken serious,u are exactly d opposite of hw u present urself.May be i shld also remind u dat KSA 4 TWO TYMES NW HAD BEEN NOMINATED 4 an internationaly well recognisd award gving body,i think grammy or so,dis is a feet dat is nt common to achieve in d music terain in d whole Africa.After say all dis,i also respectfuly submit dat Obey commander is alsm a great musician bt in his own well deserv class.

Read my comments before you critique.

I asked....'Who is Alaafin of Oyo IN MUSIC? What does Alaafin know ABOUT MUSIC?
If a signle traditional ruler who is not an authority IN MUSIC decides to give an award to a musician that played on his coronation day.....does that make the musician better than someone else?

If you dont know, Sunny was invited to play on the day Alaafin was crowned as king of Oyo, and out of his excitement and joy of the day, the Alaafin said he was crowning Sunny as king of Juju music.....Just like that. Can that kind of assertion stand in well informed societies?

I think I am too discerning and educated to just swallow whatever a traditional ruler says, especially when there are overwhelming evidence to the contrary!

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
babanne: Both of them are legendary. They handle the guitar in an amazing way. No need to compare them.
I hate people saying two or more things that are similar should not be compared. If you say we shouldn't compare, say, Sunny Ade and Ebenezer Obey, is it Sunndy Ade and Bob Marley that played reggae type of genre that we'll compare? What would you say is the basis of the comparison? You compare and then contrast, that's what makes you learned.

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nuzo1(m): 3:38pm On Apr 12, 2013
Its like comparing Oliver de-coque to Osadebe.
One is commercial while the other exhibits the core values of what music is all about.

Just like De-coque, I can't remember when last I played Sunny's music.

Oba Gbadebo on replay!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Ayorh4you(m): 3:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
KSA all the way
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by slimyem: 3:43pm On Apr 12, 2013
This thread and the useless comments on it edifying one act above the other is an insult to both KSA and Chief Commander.There should be no basis for comparison.None is better than the other.Both their lyrics are rich in tradition,have depth and propagate culture.Both of them are septugenarians.
Both of them rocked while in the game and still rock up till now.Both of them have evergreen songs.
The mods should lock this thread!!!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 12, 2013
[quote author=huptin][/quote]
Sunny Ade might have merited his being crowned the king of juju but the crowning shouldn't be a life-long thing. It should be done yearly. Do you want to say if Sunny Ade is bedridden (God forbid before his admirers attack me) and can't perform, he will still be referred to as the king when people like Ebenezer Obey, Dele Abiodun, Gbenga Falope, etc are still active?
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by wonlasewonimi: 3:46pm On Apr 12, 2013
slimyem: This thread and the useless comments on it edifying one act above the other is an insult to both KSA and Chief Commander.There should be no basis for comparison.None is better than the other.Both their lyrics are rich in tradition,have depth and propagate culture.Both of them are septugenarians.
Both of them rocked while in the game and still rock up till now.Both of them have evergreen songs.
The mods should lock this thread!!!

Slimyem I like you so much for this comment..is it possible to nyansh you?
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by true2god: 3:49pm On Apr 12, 2013
As an igboman who grow up in Lagos, both r great musicians. When i was a small boi i tot sunny was better cos of the great beats and style he adds to music, but now i hav a different view.
Obey music teaches lessons, advices pple and makes u reflect about life in general. But sunny music makes u happy, dance and and 'shake bodi'. Both are great with differnt styles. Another great musician i love so much is late Oliver d'coque, also a music genius. Igbo pple neva got someone better since he left the scene. Our present crop of musicians are no longer original, copying americans and forgetting our musical heritage.

Long live juju music
long live highlife music
live live ogene music
damn to sensual hip hop dat encourages and promotes promiscuity.

4 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ebenezer Obey has a lot of philosophical songs like: Oro Seniwo, Ran Wa Lowo Baba, Aimasiko, O Ya Ka Jo Jo, Siki Siki Ma Mi, Ore Mi E Se Pele Pele, Ambition, Board Members, Ibadan, etc.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by oddy4real(m): 3:59pm On Apr 12, 2013
i listened to Ebenezer Obey's 'The hOrse, the son and the man' as a 7 year old boy and i could not sleep. i kept thinking and thinking and thinking. Musicians like Obey are rare.
OBEY ALL THE WAY

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by oddy4real(m): 4:00pm On Apr 12, 2013
Comparing Obey to Sunny is like comparing 2face and Dbanj. One is better but the other is more flashy
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by SBabaJ(m): 4:07pm On Apr 12, 2013
Legends Of The Juju Genre.
I Prefer Obey Because His Lyrics Are More Philosopical. His Songs More Readily Induce Thought Than Sunny Ade's.
Kosogbon Teleda.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by DrDoGood1(m): 4:24pm On Apr 12, 2013
Both of them are very good, I respect the two of them so much, I normally buy their CD for my Dad each time i travel to the villa, though he doesnt understand because he is not from yoruba. But i prefer Baba Friyo n daddy showky kind of juju otumokpo can someone help me with what those guys sing? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by instaforexngr(m): 4:25pm On Apr 12, 2013
both are heavyweight giants in the yoruba music industry,
but am going for Chief Commander, Ebenezer Obey
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by shadrach77: 4:28pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Sunny Ade might have merited his being crowned the king of juju but the crowning shouldn't be a life-long thing. It should be done yearly. Do you want to say if Sunny Ade is bedridden (God forbid before his admirers attack me) and can't perform, he will still be referred to as the king when people like Ebenezer Obey, Dele Abiodun, Gbenga Falope, etc are still active?
Try to apply wisdom my guy. Have you ever heard of a royal seat being rotated annually? angry angry
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by buoye1(m): 4:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
Evang. Ebenezer Obey
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by rman: 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2013
It is a close call between the two legends.

I love Sunny Ade when I was very young but as I became more matured, I realised Obey's songs are deeper in contents.

I have a little bias for Sunny, so I will say, he is better
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by slimyem: 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2013
wonlasewonimi:

Slimyem I like you so much for this comment..is it possible to nyansh you?
smileylol.get serious!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by trappatoni(m): 4:56pm On Apr 12, 2013
both are very good,obey in terms of content and sunny in terms of content and stage craft,in terms the influence on juju music sunny is more influential cos of his longetivity in that genre of music.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by IYANGBALI: 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
babanne: Both of them are legendary. They handle the guitar in an amazing way. No need to compare them.
says who?sunny handles guitar better while I give the music to obey,most of his songs are evergreen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Murphy Ijemba Of Brila Fm Is Now With The New Max Fm / DJ Barbie Mixtape "Lituation" / Nigerian Songs That Have Featured In Hollywood Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.