Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,544 members, 7,819,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US (15950 Views)

Driving From Ibadan To Abuja. How Long Does It Take? / How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? / How Long Does It Take To Travel From Lagos To Ph By Road? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 18, 2013
Step84:

Pls stop judging me cos you are not God!
I am not judging you, just saying the truth. Canada has an immigration program that will give you peace of mind, why not consider that one?.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 12:55pm On Aug 28, 2013
Yvete: How do you even get a "menial job" with a visitor visa. If you plan to reside in the US for a while, that's the worst visa to come in with. You cannot even get a State ID or Driver's license, so how do you expect a get a job?
I have a B1/B2 multiple entry 2 years now. Pls I need ur advice on what to do because am contemplating either to go or not.I will appreciate it if u can take the pains to email me some details on how to go about settling in the State with this visa. Debok079@gmail.com thanks a whole lot!
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 1:07pm On Aug 28, 2013
lafflaff123: Okay poster there are jobs and again there are jobs, so it depends on what exactly you are looking for and the people you meet or visiting in the US and their links in getting you something, if really you don't plan on going back.

I will never advice anybody to be an illegal immigrant but since you have your mind made up, be ready to live or work like a slave until (1) you sort yourself out and in most cases it takes years (b) get deported back to Nigeria and can only see the US on TV for the rest of your life (C) Do jobs that you will be ashamed to tell your folks back home about.

Most Nigerian businesses in a mostly Nigerian dominated area usually employ people under the table, and pay them peanuts and when I say these guys will use you, I swear it is not funny.

Some years ago while still living in the Riverdale part of Maryland State, there is this popular Nigerian buka as a certified bachelor I use to stop over from work every evening to eat, and there was this very educated looking mature man always serving food, and the owner of the Buka a nice middle aged woman from the western extraction of Nigeria.

So one day while chilling after a heavy food, got talking to the man and was surprised he told me he is a trained pharmacist in Nigeria. Pharmacist I asked? he said yes. And that he has been in the US for 6 years on a visiting visa which ran out and tried as he did, still cannot get himself situated. Not seen his wife and kids for years and the shameful part is that he serves food in a place where the owner could be his daughter.

So I asked the most sensible question that came to my head, and that is why sir? why make a move that an uninformed or ill educated will make? he could not answer. So I asked him again what stops you from going back home? he said shame.

There was nothing I could do but linked him up with my then pastor who happens to be a lawyer before I moved from the State, and how it ended I still don't know.

The United States is not a good place to abuse your visa or be an illegal immigrant and I keep telling people this. You can go to Europe and get lost and nobody will care but in the US you need simple stuff like driving, opening accounts, accommodation and those little things of life that makes life easy.

I will not discourage you not to come to the United States, but come first, take a feasibility study of the situation on ground(real and unreal) and make your choice. But do know that you will face the harsh realities of life when you overstay your welcome with your host, and move into the cold hands of the reality of life called the United States without legal papers.
Hi bros quite some time! I really want to count on you peoples' advice here bros, I got a B1/B2 multiple entry for 2 years and I have been contemplating since then. Pls if I go what is my chances of making a headway, does it worth the investment? I will appreciate every information here. Thanks
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 1:31pm On Aug 28, 2013
bigfrancis21:
My brother take all the advice given here seriously. The US is not a bed of roses if you're an illegal immigrant. You can't WORK legally if you have a tourist visa. Don't be tempted to go to the US only to go there and suffer. Its not worth it at all.

I'm a full supporter of people following their dreams and if you do really want to go to the US and live there legally, now take these legal paths of advice:

1) After you get to the US, start applying to a community college to study a related program to IT/computer science. I say community college because its much cheaper and takes less time (2yrs) to complete. You can apply to a university if you have the money. Community colleges award associate bachelor degrees and universities full bachelor degrees. Before you leave for the US, be sure to leave with your transcripts, academic credentials, and enough money to sustain your living expenses and your academic expenses. If you get admission you then apply to the appropriate US agency to permit you to study. Once it pulls through then you can begin your study. After study, hunt for a job and have your employer file on your behalf a work visa (H1B), and after you start working you can begin your green card application process. This may take you some years, at least 5 years, to achieve. Its not going to be too easy just as it is not easy anywhere but if you PERSEVERE you'll make it. Through this means you're well on your way to live the american dream.

2) You may as well find love there, get married and set your papers straight.

3) If the DV lottery doesn't finally get scrapped, you can play the lottery this year, by october.
@bigfrancis21 I really want to appreciate your advice.I have B1/B2 multiple entry 2 years and I have made up my mind this time around to travel. Pls do u have any advice for as per what to do when am there, pls as a brother! Thanks
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 1:42pm On Aug 28, 2013
bigfrancis21:

There are two likely scenarios for you:
1) Getting married here in Nigeria before leaving and after getting your green card, which is likely to come in at least 5 years, you file for your spouse to join you. Now, the question is, can you endure living apart for that long?

Note that your lover's joining you is not the problem. The main hurdle is obtaining the green card first very fast and once that is achieved, the rest of the work will not be difficult to achieve.

2) Not getting married and leaving the country with the hope of returning someday to do the marriage and bring your lover over. Okay, the possibility there is that while over there you are likely to fall in love with someone else (a citizen maybe) and, who knows, get married. This then means that you abandon your lover in Nigeria. Now, do you feel this is option is better for you? Another side to this is that your lover may not be willing to wait that long for you and may decide to settle down with someone else.

This is a serious life decision you have to make and I suggest you weigh your options very well before making one.
Thanks a whole lot for your contribution. I think I will consider the option 2 because while am there I think I would be able to communicate with her as often as possible? And as soon as things pull through I will not hesitate to come and pick her provided God has destined us. Pls don't get tired of giving me more advice cos this is a decision I have to make. Thanks
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by imperiouxx(m): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2013
Step84:
Thanks a whole lot for your contribution. I think I will consider the option 2 because while am there I think I would be able to communicate with her as often as possible? And as soon as things pull through I will not hesitate to come and pick her provided God has destined us. Pls don't get tired of giving me more advice cos this is a decision I have to make. Thanks

You haven't left Nigeria, you've started thinking of marrying American for paper. Even thinking of going back to pick your Nigeria base Nigerian wife to be........looooooooooooooool, Ok ooo. You must have thought Americans have no brain and/or are remote controlled robots. Soon you will get here to see the true picture of situation. You'll soon know that the least visa type to get job here is visiting (either B1 or B whatever). Even F1 visa that's more respected must not work until after completion of school and it's just for short duration of time.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 3:38pm On Aug 29, 2013
imperiouxx:

You haven't left Nigeria, you've started thinking of marrying American for paper. Even thinking of going back to pick your Nigeria base Nigerian wife to be........looooooooooooooool, Ok ooo. You must have thought Americans have no brain and/or are remote controlled robots. Soon you will get here to see the true picture of situation. You'll soon know that the least visa type to get job here is visiting (either B1 or B whatever). Even F1 visa that's more respected must not work until after completion of school and it's just for short duration of time.
You misunderstood me right. I never thought of getting married to a citizen, all am planning is how I can find a living in the US and after sometime I will come and marry my sweetheart so that we can both come back to settle in the US. So if you have any idea of how I can go about that I will appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 11:03pm On Aug 30, 2013
bigfrancis21:
My brother take all the advice given here seriously. The US is not a bed of roses if you're an illegal immigrant. You can't WORK legally if you have a tourist visa. Don't be tempted to go to the US only to go there and suffer. Its not worth it at all.

I'm a full supporter of people following their dreams and if you do really want to go to the US and live there legally, now take these legal paths of advice:

1) After you get to the US, start applying to a community college to study a related program to IT/computer science. I say community college because its much cheaper and takes less time (2yrs) to complete. You can apply to a university if you have the money. Community colleges award associate bachelor degrees and universities full bachelor degrees. Before you leave for the US, be sure to leave with your transcripts, academic credentials, and enough money to sustain your living expenses and your academic expenses. If you get admission you then apply to the appropriate US agency to permit you to study. Once it pulls through then you can begin your study. After study, hunt for a job and have your employer file on your behalf a work visa (H1B), and after you start working you can begin your green card application process. This may take you some years, at least 5 years, to achieve. Its not going to be too easy just as it is not easy anywhere but if you PERSEVERE you'll make it. Through this means you're well on your way to live the american dream.

2) You may as well find love there, get married and set your papers straight.

3) If the DV lottery doesn't finally get scrapped, you can play the lottery this year, by october.
My dear brother once again I want to say a big thank you. I am sure that option 1 will make a lot of senses so, am going to consider it and I promise to feed u back as it goes. Pls I will appreciate more advice from you because you seem to understand my plight. I will like to leave immediately after Passing out of NYSC in oct by the special grace of God.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 11:15pm On Aug 30, 2013
ifegy:

What kind of visa did you get, in the first place? You need a work visa to be able to get a job in the US.

Its B2 multiple entry 2yrs. I want to travel after service (nysc) by Oct and I need advice on how to go about settling in the US. House pls help me out!
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 11:18pm On Aug 30, 2013
Gbenge 77: Op,it does appear that you are confusing the validity of your visa with the duration of stay.I reckon you posess a 2 year Multiple entry visit visa.Thus,you can only be granted a six month stay by the CBP.It could be extended though.Its also illegal to work with a tourist visa.You might just be fiddling with a ban
Sorry about that its a B2 multiple entry 2yrs, not what I stated earlier.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 1:23am On Aug 31, 2013
I thought multiple entry for visitors visa in the US is for a maximum of 6months stay per entry?
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Allohrandy(m): 4:02am On Aug 31, 2013
Step84:

Its B2 multiple entry 2yrs. I want to travel after service (nysc) by Oct and I need advice on how to go about settling in the US. House pls help me out!
If you dont have a close friend or family member that is financially strong in the US then its better you remain in Nigeria till you get the right papers because no employer will employ you legally with a B2 visa. But if you are hell bent on coming to the states, then you should move to a city with a high Nigerian population so you can easily network with fellow Nigerians and they can help you with under the table jobs. but you should know that living as an illegal is like living in hell because you cant get an ID card, open a bank account, rent an apartment, traveling back to Nigeria and starting a business here.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 8:44am On Aug 31, 2013
jennykadry: I thought multiple entry for visitors visa in the US is for a maximum of 6months stay per entry?

You are correct. However, one can apply for extension towards the expiration of the 6months and use that to buy some more time.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Gbenge77(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2013
jennykadry: I thought multiple entry for visitors visa in the US is for a maximum of 6months stay per entry?
they give both the six month visa and the two year visa.They even give ten years multiple entry in India.I wonder why they can't replicate that in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by imperiouxx(m): 4:36pm On Aug 31, 2013
Allohrandy: If you dont have a close friend or family member that is financially strong in the US then its better you remain in Nigeria till you get the right papers because no employer will employ you legally with a B2 visa. But if you are hell bent on coming to the states, then you should move to a city with a high Nigerian population so you can easily network with fellow Nigerians and they can help you with under the table jobs. but you should know that living as an illegal is like living in hell because you cant get an ID card, open a bank account, rent an apartment, traveling back to Nigeria and starting a business here.

Thanks my brother. Even with the community college, he would need to go back to Nigeria to change his status to F1.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by mikeud22: 12:09am On Feb 16, 2015
You Guyz in USA are just scaring Guyz here in Nigeria, if that place is not good enof, what are you doing there, y not come back home, you ve gone to a land full of milk and honey and you discouraging your brothers from coming over. itz just too bad, how did must of you get dere? please we a brothers here, letz help one another. i know and tink there are wayz to make it in USA with B1/B2visa bt u are just keeping it to yourself. please any body with a positive view in the house, advice us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Originalsly: 12:30pm On Feb 16, 2015
mikeud22:
You Guyz in USA are just scaring Guyz here in Nigeria, if that place is not good enof, what are you doing there, y not come back home, you ve gone to a land full of milk and honey and you discouraging your brothers from coming over. itz just too bad, how did must of you get dere? please we a brothers here, letz help one another. i know and tink there are wayz to make it in USA with B1/B2visa bt u are just keeping it to yourself. please any body with a positive view in the house, advice us.
What advice would you give someone who wants to leave his village and come to live in Lagos? .....would you advise him to pack his bag and just show up?....that if he is willing to work he would soon find a job...and a place to live...and a Mercedes....and make it like others? Would you give him those words of encouragement?....or you would tell him like it is and allow him to make his decision? The people living in the US are telling you like it is...but is up to you...maybe they don't want you to go.....go and find out for yourself.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Wisepac: 5:16pm On Feb 16, 2015
hw far with u op, are u now in u.s
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by bebe2(f): 11:17pm On Feb 16, 2015
mikeud22:

you re right,

let me tell u why its like dat,

its because nigerians are very proud.

let me quickly give gist u a story.

a friend of mine is the bread winner in a family,

the husband hasnt worked in years, the girl does all kinds of small small

business, organising health shows, selling medicines to prostitues , diabetic advice etc.

then she combines that with begging her friends in europe for money for school fees, feeding etc.

then , a mutual friend of house went to naija and this lady sat down and explained all her problems,

how she has no money to even feed her kids and all sorts. my friend felt so bad for her.

as my friend was going home, she saw her sign saying ''gateman and driver'' wanted.

my friend quicky called this ldy to say i just saw a sign now maybe ur shoud go there quickly and apply.

this lady got angry, swearing and causing at my friend, how can u ask my husband to be a gateman or driver? na becos i tell u

my problem abi? thing cause big fight.

but this friend dat keeps sending her money from the uk, is a cleaner in one of the newspapers offices in london.

now , can u imagine dat??
'

5 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by aslaaa: 7:35am On Feb 17, 2015
Hello everybody pls I need ur info. Im a young man planning to move to united state. I'm a graduate of civil engineering but presently operating a barber salon in Lagos. Pls what is chance of practising my skill in US? Pls I need ur information on how to go about salon in US
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by mrchemist(m): 9:50pm On May 26, 2016
Gbenge77:
Legitimacy is crucial bro.The State Department has an unwritten rule known as the 30/60 day rule.If you wanna legitimise your stay,be sure not to contravene it.What the rule means that if you intend to change your status from tourist to student ,or any other status,you musnt do so within 30/60 days ,because that would serve as an indictment.You dont want the DHS to suspect foul play.So,your best bet might be switching your status to a student,or make efforts to get married(after 30/60 days).That ,I reckon,is the best way to legalise your stay,helping you to stay legitimate.Ruminate on these.
Gud pm I'm Allison I'm current in Nigeria working but I'm about to do my wedding in Nigeria with Usa Citizen in August. My plan is to visit her in Usa later after wedding and Adjust my Status. How is this possible. Thanks
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Kennetheno: 10:36am On Dec 01, 2023
Good day and Happy New Month
I'm currently residing in Nigeria and a Nigerian citizen as well, I'm at the verge of being offered a job at the United States but my potential employer is asking that I get a temporary I-551 stamp on my Nigerian passport or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa. Attached with this mail is the document sent to me by my potential employer with what is required of me encircled. Please can anyone guide me on how to go about this and what are the requirements needed for me to attain this status.
Thank you so much as I look forward to prompt and favourable response.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sudan Crisis: Nigerians Stranded At Egyptian Border — FG / Two Escape Death As Car, Truck Collide In Lagos / Attractions To Visit In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.