Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! (137515 Views)

Dahomey Women Warriors - Nigerias Deadliest Fighting Force! / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe / Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by pleep(m): 5:37am On Apr 22, 2013
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 5:44am On Apr 22, 2013
*Kails*:
lol @ forgetting nzinga!! grin

didn't i post something on her before?

or was it on the kongo thread...? don't remember. tongue
Anywho she was a tough babe!! cool

Yep!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 5:45am On Apr 22, 2013
*Kails*:

WOW!!

Agreed!

@pleep

LMFAO!!!! grin grin grin

That girl got whooped!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 22, 2013
onila: congo king

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1073103_5384_636269809733139_1379643158_n_jpg6087548f9fb23eddb589feb8592cf20e

i knew something was wrongg , he is not from Congo ,he is from CAR (central African Republic) i think he is name is Jean Bedel Bokasaa(not sure) but it's something like that .....
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 22, 2013
[size=13pt]Colonel Tye(African American)[/size]

Colonel Tye was probably the most effective and respected black military leader during the Revolution. Never truly appointed as a Colonel, (the British didn't commission blacks), he carried the title out of universal respect for his deeds. His raids and assassinations were greatly feared by the Patriots and invaluable to the British. His Black Brigade helped supply New York when it was besieged by Patriots and in danger of being starved out.

Tye was born as Titus; a slave in New Jersey. He was owned by a Quaker named John Corlies, who ignored the Quaker prohibitions against owning slaves. In fact, he was of uncommon cruelty, whipping his slaves for the slightest of transgressions.

Soon he escaped, traveling down the coast to Virginia. He moved between odd jobs passing himself off as a freeman. By this time, the Patriots were spreading propaganda and taking control of the Virginia countryside. Dunmore hadn't yet issued his famed proclamation, but he wasn't too picky about what sort of troops enlisted with him. Any able body claiming to be free would do, and Tye became one of his first black soldiers.

Undoubtedly, he fought in the early battles in Virginia like Kemp's Landing and Great Bridge, but no record exists of his accomplishments. He only comes to attention around 1778, as one of the leaders of the Black Brigade, an elite guerilla unit composed of blacks from New Jersey. They were charged with using their intimate knowledge of the area to steal supplies and make sneak attacks on Patriots. Tye led his unit with daring and efficiency.

In one famous attack, Tye led a band of white and black troops in a sneak attack against the Patriot militia leader Joseph Murray, who was hated by the British for having executed Loyalists. Tye and his men successfully assassinated him, and three days later captured another local Patriot leader, his men and their supplies.

In the fall of 1780, Tye led another attack on a hated Patriot leader, Josiah Huddy. This time was less lucky however, as Huddy and a female friend managed to hold off twenty attackers for two hours. Eventually, they smoked him out by lighting his house on fire, but not before Tye had been shot through the wrist. Tetanus soon took in and Tye died, but not before he had earned the respect of Loyalists and Patriots in the area.

Source:
http://www.blackloyalist.com/canadiandigitalcollection/people/secular/tye.htm
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 8:49am On Apr 22, 2013
RandomAfricamAm...I see you viewing this thread. Can you contribute some more? I enjoy reading your posts! smiley
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by RandomAfricanAm: 9:04am On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: RandomAfricamAm...I see you viewing this thread. Can you contribute some more? I enjoy reading your posts! smiley
Well you beat me to "Queen Amina" and "Colonel Tye" so... haha

I try to think of people most don't know anything/much about(And round up a good deal of info). I have 2 other queens(berber & akan), A woman from the bahammas, and a russian general in mind right now since the two above are knocked out. Though I might have a little more on tye. That said I suggest you go ahead and put up the siddi(you already have the info from a previous post)

I'm trying to find the info on the carribean women who set fire in the feilds during a revolt afterwards going to military school in europe

Also the men that haiti sent with bolivar back into south/central america to liberate the people from the spainish

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by RandomAfricanAm: 9:21am On Apr 22, 2013
Data dump on tye(if you add it to your post I can delete this)

Colonel Tye, the most feared and respected guerrilla commander of the Revolution, was one of the many enslaved Africans who escaped and fought for the British.

Known in his youth as Titus, he was one of four young men owned by John Corlies of Shrewsbury, in the eastern part of Monmouth County, New Jersey. Shrewsbury Quakers, under increasing pressure from their Philadelphia-influenced counterparts to the west, finally began to end slavery among themselves in the 1760s. Corlies did not follow the local practice of educating his slaves or of freeing them on their 21st birthdays, and by 1775, he was one of the few remaining Quaker slaveholders in Monmouth County.

In November 1775, the day after Dunmore's Proclamation was issued, 22-year old Titus fled from his cruel, quick-tempered master, joining the flood of Monmouth County blacks who sought refuge with the British as soldiers, sailors and workers. Titus changed his name, gaining notoriety three years later as Captain Tye, the pride of Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment.

While not formally commissioning black officers, the British army often bestowed titles out of respect, and Tye quickly earned their respect. In his first known military incursion, the June, 1778 Battle of Monmouth (in which not a single black from the county fought for the patriots), Tye captured a captain in the Monmouth militia.

In July, 1779, Tye's band launched a raid on Shrewsbury, and carried away clothing, furniture, horses, cattle, and two of the town's inhabitants. With his "motley crew" of blacks and white refugees known as "cow-boys," Tye continued to attack and plunder patriot homes, using his knowledge of Monmouth County's swamps, rivers and inlets to strike suddenly and disappear quickly. These raids, often aimed at former masters and their friends, were a combination of banditry, reprisal, and commission; Tye and his men were well-paid by the British, sometimes earning five gold guineas.

During the harsh winter of 1779, Tye was among an elite group of twenty-four black Loyalists, known as the Black Brigade, who joined with the Queen's Rangers, a British guerrilla unit, to protect New York City and to conduct raids for food and fuel.

By 1780, Colonel Tye had become an important military force. Within one week in June, he led three actions in Monmouth County. On June 9, Tye and his men murdered Joseph Murray, hated by the Loyalists for his summary execution of captured Tories under a local vigilante law. On June 12, while the British attacked Washington's dwindling troops, Tye and his band launched a daring attack on the home of Barnes Smock, capturing the militia leader and twelve of his men, destroying their cannon, depriving Washington of needed reinforcements, and striking fear into the hearts of local patriots.

In response, Governor Livingston, who had tried two years before to abolish slavery in New Jersey, invoked martial law -- a measure which proved totally ineffective -- even as large numbers of blacks, heartened by news of Tye's feats, fled to British-held New York.

In a series of raids throughout the summer, Tye continued to debilitate and demoralize the patriot forces. In a single day, he and his band captured eight militiamen (including the second in command), plundered their homes, and took them to imprisonment in New York, virtually undetected and without suffering a single casualty.

In September, 1780 Tye led a surprise attack on the home of Captain Josiah Huddy, whom Loyalists had tried to capture for years. Amazingly, Huddy and his friend Lucretia Emmons managed to hold off their attackers for two hours, until the Loyalists flushed them out by setting the house afire. During the battle, Tye was shot in the wrist, and days later, what was thought to be minor wound turned fatal when lockjaw set in.

After Tye's death, Colonel Stephen Blucke of the Black Pioneers replaced him as leader of the raiders, continuing their attacks well after the British defeat at Yorktown. Tye's reputation lived on, among his comrades as well as the Patriots, who argued that the war would have been won much sooner had Tye been enlisted on their side.

Dunmore's Proclamation

Q: Can you describe for me Colonel Tye? Who was he, and what was his significance during the American Revolution?

A: Probably one of the most colorful individuals during the American Revolution was a black man named Colonel Tye, an enslaved man in Monmouth Country, New Jersey, enslaved by Quakers who disobeyed the general Quaker ruling that Quakers put their enslaved people on the road to emancipation. So even though some Quaker-owned slaves were getting their freedom, Tye wasn't. And he had a especially cruel master.

When the American Revolution emerged, Tye emerged as a fearless leader. He was only about 21, and he commanded both black and white Loyalists, and literally wreaked havoc in New Jersey and also in New York. He captured patriots. He executed patriots. He visited the region of Monmouth, where he was from, and burned and looted the slaveholders, freed slaves.

He probably had probably 800 men under his command at one point, both black and white. And he would capture people, if he didn't want to execute them, send them to what was called the Sugar House in New York City, and then go on his guerrilla raids. He was probably more feared in that region than any other British loyalist, black or white. The kind of guerrilla warfare that he engaged in kept the country in turmoil.

So he was very important in terms of the morale of African Americans, because many of them joined him. Others who didn't join him certainly got a big charge out of the fact that here was this black man who was leading these raids against the patriots, freeing slaves. And it gave them a sense of their own capacity. And they began to flee the farms and to move into the British, those who didn't join Tye, and also to fight in little guerrilla skirmishes themselves. So he was really largely responsible for the war effort in a non-orderly way, but in a sort of a guerrilla way, in the New Jersey countryside. A very important individual who remained on the scene, beginning in 1778, all the way up through 1780.

Margaret Washington
Associate Professor of History
Cornell Universiy

Titus was one of four young black men owned by John Corlies of Shrewsbury, in the eastern part of Monmouth County, New Jersey. In November 1775, the day after Dunmore's Proclamation was issued, 22-year old Titus fled from his cruel, quick-tempered master, joining the flood of blacks who sought refuge with the British as soldiers, sailors and workers.

In this ad for Titus's capture and return, dated November 22, 1775, Corlies correctly anticipated that Titus "will probably change his name." Three years later the former slave gained notoriety as Captain Tye, the pride of Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment, who led a guerrilla campaign against Monmouth County slaveholders.

Runaway ad for Titus

THREE POUNDS Reward.
RUN away from the fubfcriber, living in Shrewfbury, in the county of Monmouth, New-Jerfey, a NEGROE man, named TITUS, but may probably change his name; he is about 21 years of age, not very black, near 6 feet high; had on a grey homefpun coat, brown breeches, blue and white flockings, and took with him a wallet, drawn up at one end with a ftring, in which was a quantity of clothes. Whoever takes up faid Negroe, and fecures him in any goal, or brings him to me, fhall be entitled to the above reward of Three Pounds proc. and all reafonable charges, paid by Nov. 8, 1775. JOHN CORLIS.

There is more but thats where I got before I saw you alredy added him

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by RandomAfricanAm: 9:35am On Apr 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:
onila congo king

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1073103_5384_636269809733139_1379643158_n_jpg6087548f9fb23eddb589feb8592cf20e

i knew something was wrongg , he is not from Congo ,he is from CAR (central African Republic) i think he is name is Jean Bedel Bokasaa(not sure) but it's something like that .....

Either way the word brain washed immediately springs to mind...
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 22, 2013
RandomAfricanAm:
Well you beat me to "Queen Amina" and "Colonel Tye" so... haha

You can still post more info on them. It doesnt matter really. smiley

And I think my info on Tye isn't a lot anyways.

RandomAfricanAm:
I try to think of people most don't know anything/much about(And round up a good deal of info). I have 2 other queens(berber & akan), A woman from the bahammas, and a russian general in mind right now since the two above are knocked out. Though I might have a little more on tye. That said I suggest you go ahead and put up the siddi(you already have the info from a previous post)
I agree with your first sentence! I think I know which Berber queen you are talking about. I was thinking about posting her, but I'll let you post her. IMO you are better are posting things in more detail. I am also interested in that women from the Bahamas.

And what Siddi are you talking about?

RandomAfricanAm:

I'm trying to find the info on the carribean women who set fire in the feilds during a revolt afterwards going to military school in europe

Also the men that haiti sent with bolivar back into south/central america to liberate the people from the spainish

Interesting.

And I heard of Bolivar and the Haitians helping him. Please post them. smiley

But no Haitian generals/leaders during the Haitian revolution. Not trying to be a d*ck but I want to post them. grin grin grin

HEHEHEHEHE...
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 22, 2013
INTERESTING!

I knew about Tye, but didn't know this much about him. Your info is definitely more detailed.

RandomAfricanAm: Data dump on tye(if you add it to your post I can delete this)

Colonel Tye, the most feared and respected guerrilla commander of the Revolution, was one of the many enslaved Africans who escaped and fought for the British.

Known in his youth as Titus, he was one of four young men owned by John Corlies of Shrewsbury, in the eastern part of Monmouth County, New Jersey. Shrewsbury Quakers, under increasing pressure from their Philadelphia-influenced counterparts to the west, finally began to end slavery among themselves in the 1760s. Corlies did not follow the local practice of educating his slaves or of freeing them on their 21st birthdays, and by 1775, he was one of the few remaining Quaker slaveholders in Monmouth County.

In November 1775, the day after Dunmore's Proclamation was issued, 22-year old Titus fled from his cruel, quick-tempered master, joining the flood of Monmouth County blacks who sought refuge with the British as soldiers, sailors and workers. Titus changed his name, gaining notoriety three years later as Captain Tye, the pride of Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment.

While not formally commissioning black officers, the British army often bestowed titles out of respect, and Tye quickly earned their respect. In his first known military incursion, the June, 1778 Battle of Monmouth (in which not a single black from the county fought for the patriots), Tye captured a captain in the Monmouth militia.

In July, 1779, Tye's band launched a raid on Shrewsbury, and carried away clothing, furniture, horses, cattle, and two of the town's inhabitants. With his "motley crew" of blacks and white refugees known as "cow-boys," Tye continued to attack and plunder patriot homes, using his knowledge of Monmouth County's swamps, rivers and inlets to strike suddenly and disappear quickly. These raids, often aimed at former masters and their friends, were a combination of banditry, reprisal, and commission; Tye and his men were well-paid by the British, sometimes earning five gold guineas.

During the harsh winter of 1779, Tye was among an elite group of twenty-four black Loyalists, known as the Black Brigade, who joined with the Queen's Rangers, a British guerrilla unit, to protect New York City and to conduct raids for food and fuel.

By 1780, Colonel Tye had become an important military force. Within one week in June, he led three actions in Monmouth County. On June 9, Tye and his men murdered Joseph Murray, hated by the Loyalists for his summary execution of captured Tories under a local vigilante law. On June 12, while the British attacked Washington's dwindling troops, Tye and his band launched a daring attack on the home of Barnes Smock, capturing the militia leader and twelve of his men, destroying their cannon, depriving Washington of needed reinforcements, and striking fear into the hearts of local patriots.

In response, Governor Livingston, who had tried two years before to abolish slavery in New Jersey, invoked martial law -- a measure which proved totally ineffective -- even as large numbers of blacks, heartened by news of Tye's feats, fled to British-held New York.

In a series of raids throughout the summer, Tye continued to debilitate and demoralize the patriot forces. In a single day, he and his band captured eight militiamen (including the second in command), plundered their homes, and took them to imprisonment in New York, virtually undetected and without suffering a single casualty.

In September, 1780 Tye led a surprise attack on the home of Captain Josiah Huddy, whom Loyalists had tried to capture for years. Amazingly, Huddy and his friend Lucretia Emmons managed to hold off their attackers for two hours, until the Loyalists flushed them out by setting the house afire. During the battle, Tye was shot in the wrist, and days later, what was thought to be minor wound turned fatal when lockjaw set in.

After Tye's death, Colonel Stephen Blucke of the Black Pioneers replaced him as leader of the raiders, continuing their attacks well after the British defeat at Yorktown. Tye's reputation lived on, among his comrades as well as the Patriots, who argued that the war would have been won much sooner had Tye been enlisted on their side.

Dunmore's Proclamation

Q: Can you describe for me Colonel Tye? Who was he, and what was his significance during the American Revolution?

A: Probably one of the most colorful individuals during the American Revolution was a black man named Colonel Tye, an enslaved man in Monmouth Country, New Jersey, enslaved by Quakers who disobeyed the general Quaker ruling that Quakers put their enslaved people on the road to emancipation. So even though some Quaker-owned slaves were getting their freedom, Tye wasn't. And he had a especially cruel master.

When the American Revolution emerged, Tye emerged as a fearless leader. He was only about 21, and he commanded both black and white Loyalists, and literally wreaked havoc in New Jersey and also in New York. He captured patriots. He executed patriots. He visited the region of Monmouth, where he was from, and burned and looted the slaveholders, freed slaves.

He probably had probably 800 men under his command at one point, both black and white. And he would capture people, if he didn't want to execute them, send them to what was called the Sugar House in New York City, and then go on his guerrilla raids. He was probably more feared in that region than any other British loyalist, black or white. The kind of guerrilla warfare that he engaged in kept the country in turmoil.

So he was very important in terms of the morale of African Americans, because many of them joined him. Others who didn't join him certainly got a big charge out of the fact that here was this black man who was leading these raids against the patriots, freeing slaves. And it gave them a sense of their own capacity. And they began to flee the farms and to move into the British, those who didn't join Tye, and also to fight in little guerrilla skirmishes themselves. So he was really largely responsible for the war effort in a non-orderly way, but in a sort of a guerrilla way, in the New Jersey countryside. A very important individual who remained on the scene, beginning in 1778, all the way up through 1780.

Margaret Washington
Associate Professor of History
Cornell Universiy

Titus was one of four young black men owned by John Corlies of Shrewsbury, in the eastern part of Monmouth County, New Jersey. In November 1775, the day after Dunmore's Proclamation was issued, 22-year old Titus fled from his cruel, quick-tempered master, joining the flood of blacks who sought refuge with the British as soldiers, sailors and workers.

In this ad for Titus's capture and return, dated November 22, 1775, Corlies correctly anticipated that Titus "will probably change his name." Three years later the former slave gained notoriety as Captain Tye, the pride of Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment, who led a guerrilla campaign against Monmouth County slaveholders.

Runaway ad for Titus

There is more but thats where I got before I saw you alredy added him
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 22, 2013
[size=15pt]Jean Jacques Dessalines [/size]

[size=13pt]Defeat of the French Army by the Haitian Rebels:[/size] cool cool cool

After the deportation of Toussaint Louverture in 1802, one of Toussaint's principal lieutenants, Jean Jacques Dessalines, continued the fight for liberty because he remembered the declaration of Toussaint Louverture: “In overthrowing me, you have done no more than cut down the trunk of the tree of the black liberty in St-Domingue it will spring back from the roots, for they are numerous and deep.”
Dessalines defeated the French army numerous times but the only place left was Vertières. During the night of 17–18 November 1803, the Haitians positioned their few guns to blast Fort Bréda, located on the habitation where Toussaint Louverture had worked as a coachman under François Capois. As the French trumpets sounded the alarm, Clervaux, a Haitian rebel, fired the first shot. Capoix, mounted on a great horse, led his demibrigade forward despite storms of bullets from the forts on his left. The approach to Charrier ran up a long ravine under the guns of Vertières. French fire killed a number of soldiers in the Haitian column, but the soldiers closed ranks and clambered past their dead, singing. Capoix’s horse was shot, faltered and fell, tossing Capoix off his saddle. Capoix picked himself up, drew his sword; brandished it over his head and ran onward shouting: "Forward! Forward!"
Rochambeau was watching from the rampart of Vertières. As Capoix charged forth, the French drums rolled a sudden cease-fire. Suddenly, the battle stood still. A French staff officer mounted his horse and rode toward the intrepid Capoix-la-Mort (Capoix-the Death). With a great voice he shouted: "General Rochambeau sends compliments to the general who has just covered himself with such glory!" Then he saluted the Haitian warriors, returned to his position, and the fight resumed. General Dessalines sent his reserves under Gabart, the youngest of the general and Jean-Philippe Daut, Rochambeau’s guard of grenadiers formed for a final charge. But Gabart, Capoix, and Clervaux, the last fighting with a French musket in hand and one epaulette shot away, repulsed the desperate counterattack.
A sudden downpour with thunder and lightning submerged the battlefield. Under cover of the storm, Rochambeau pulled back from Vertières, knowing he was defeated and that Saint-Domingue was lost to France.
Another leader of the fight at Vértieres was Louis Michel Pierrot, the husband of the mambo Cécile Fatiman who had led the vodou ceremonies at Bois Caïman on 14 August 1791 together with Boukman.

Results of the Battle
By the next morning, the general Rochambeau sent Duveyrier, to negotiate with Dessalines. At the end of the day, the terms of submission were settled. Rochambeau got ten days to embark the remainder of his army and leave Saint-Domingue. The wounded French soldiers were left behind under key until well enough for return to France, but they were drowned a few days later. grin grin grin This battle occurred less than two months before Dessalines' proclamation of the independent Republic of Haiti on 1 January 1804 and delivered the final blow to the French attempt to stop the Haitian Revolution and re-institute slavery, as had been the case in its other Caribbean possessions. The Battle of Vertières marked the first time in the history of mankind that a slave army led a successful revolution for their freedom. November 18 has been widely celebrated since then as a Day of Army and Victory in Haiti.
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verti%C3%A8res

[size=13pt]Jean Jacques Dessalines defeated the French AGAIN at The Battle of Crete a Pierrot:[/size]
The Battle of Crête-à-Pierrot was a major battle of the Haitian Revolution.
The battle took place at the fort of Crête-à-Pierrot (in Haitian Creole Lakrèt-a-Pyewo), east of Saint-Marc in the Artibonite River valley. General Charles Leclerc's French colonial army besieged the heavily barricaded fort, which was defended by Haitian forces under Jean-Jacques Dessalines. The fort was significant as it controlled access into the Cahos Mountains. The defenders, running short of food and munitions, eventually abandoned the fort but were able to force their way through the French lines and into the Cahos Mountains. The French, although gaining control of the fort, had suffered heavy losses, including the death of General Charles Dugua.
This was the deciding battle that forced the French to withdraw from the war. The fort was never captured

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cr%C3%AAte-%C3%A0-Pierrot

^^^Jean Dessalines was ruthless. He extinguished the whites from Haiti. In the second battle I mention he managed to defeat a white army of 18,000 white's with a black army of 1,900. This is why white people almost never want to touch on the subject of the Haitian revolt. They will have to admit that a black slave army whipped their asses when they all outnumbered the blacks AND the blacks were untrained. That crushes their egos. grin grin grin grin

[size=16pt]VICTORY BELONGS TO HAITI!!!![/size]

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by MrsChima(f): 10:34am On Apr 22, 2013
La Viva Haiti! grin
.Haiti might be poor but rich in culture, history, and world influence.

It's hard but Haiti still hanging strong.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 22, 2013
Jean Jacques Dessalines was so ruthless that...
Fearing a French resurgence and the reinstatement of slavery that would accompany it, he ordered the massacre of approximately 5,000 of the island’s white men, women, and children declaring “I have saved my country. I have avenged America.”
Source:
http://www.blackpast.org/?q=gah/dessalines-jean-jacques-1758-1806

This guy was literally the black Napoleon.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by MrsChima(f): 10:36am On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: [size=15pt]Jean Jacques Dessalines [/size]

[size=13pt]Defeat of the French Army by the Haitian Rebels:[/size] cool cool cool

After the deportation of Toussaint Louverture in 1802, one of Toussaint's principal lieutenants, Jean Jacques Dessalines, continued the fight for liberty because he remembered the declaration of Toussaint Louverture: “In overthrowing me, you have done no more than cut down the trunk of the tree of the black liberty in St-Domingue it will spring back from the roots, for they are numerous and deep.”
Dessalines defeated the French army numerous times but the only place left was Vertières. During the night of 17–18 November 1803, the Haitians positioned their few guns to blast Fort Bréda, located on the habitation where Toussaint Louverture had worked as a coachman under François Capois. As the French trumpets sounded the alarm, Clervaux, a Haitian rebel, fired the first shot. Capoix, mounted on a great horse, led his demibrigade forward despite storms of bullets from the forts on his left. The approach to Charrier ran up a long ravine under the guns of Vertières. French fire killed a number of soldiers in the Haitian column, but the soldiers closed ranks and clambered past their dead, singing. Capoix’s horse was shot, faltered and fell, tossing Capoix off his saddle. Capoix picked himself up, drew his sword; brandished it over his head and ran onward shouting: "Forward! Forward!"
Rochambeau was watching from the rampart of Vertières. As Capoix charged forth, the French drums rolled a sudden cease-fire. Suddenly, the battle stood still. A French staff officer mounted his horse and rode toward the intrepid Capoix-la-Mort (Capoix-the Death). With a great voice he shouted: "General Rochambeau sends compliments to the general who has just covered himself with such glory!" Then he saluted the Haitian warriors, returned to his position, and the fight resumed. General Dessalines sent his reserves under Gabart, the youngest of the general and Jean-Philippe Daut, Rochambeau’s guard of grenadiers formed for a final charge. But Gabart, Capoix, and Clervaux, the last fighting with a French musket in hand and one epaulette shot away, repulsed the desperate counterattack.
A sudden downpour with thunder and lightning submerged the battlefield. Under cover of the storm, Rochambeau pulled back from Vertières, knowing he was defeated and that Saint-Domingue was lost to France.
Another leader of the fight at Vértieres was Louis Michel Pierrot, the husband of the mambo Cécile Fatiman who had led the vodou ceremonies at Bois Caïman on 14 August 1791 together with Boukman.

Results of the Battle
By the next morning, the general Rochambeau sent Duveyrier, to negotiate with Dessalines. At the end of the day, the terms of submission were settled. Rochambeau got ten days to embark the remainder of his army and leave Saint-Domingue. The wounded French soldiers were left behind under key until well enough for return to France, but they were drowned a few days later. grin grin grin This battle occurred less than two months before Dessalines' proclamation of the independent Republic of Haiti on 1 January 1804 and delivered the final blow to the French attempt to stop the Haitian Revolution and re-institute slavery, as had been the case in its other Caribbean possessions. The Battle of Vertières marked the first time in the history of mankind that a slave army led a successful revolution for their freedom. November 18 has been widely celebrated since then as a Day of Army and Victory in Haiti.
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verti%C3%A8res

[size=13pt]Jean Jacques Dessalines defeated the French AGAIN at The Battle of Crete a Pierrot:[/size]
The Battle of Crête-à-Pierrot was a major battle of the Haitian Revolution.
The battle took place at the fort of Crête-à-Pierrot (in Haitian Creole Lakrèt-a-Pyewo), east of Saint-Marc in the Artibonite River valley. General Charles Leclerc's French colonial army besieged the heavily barricaded fort, which was defended by Haitian forces under Jean-Jacques Dessalines. The fort was significant as it controlled access into the Cahos Mountains. The defenders, running short of food and munitions, eventually abandoned the fort but were able to force their way through the French lines and into the Cahos Mountains. The French, although gaining control of the fort, had suffered heavy losses, including the death of General Charles Dugua.
This was the deciding battle that forced the French to withdraw from the war. The fort was never captured

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cr%C3%AAte-%C3%A0-Pierrot

^^^Jean Dessalines was ruthless. He extinguished the whites from Haiti. In the second battle I mention he managed to defeat a white army of 18,000 white's with a black army of 1,900. This is why white people almost never want to touch on the subject of the Haitian revolt. They will have to admit that a black slave army whipped their asses when they all outnumbered the blacks AND the blacks were untrained. That crushes their egos. grin grin grin grin

[size=16pt]VICTORY BELONGS TO HAITI!!!![/size]

grin grin grin

It was that mandingo blood boo. Mandingo warriors are something fierce.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
La Viva Haiti! grin
.Haiti might be poor but rich in culture, history, and world influence.

It's hard but Haiti still hanging strong.

Yep! smiley

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU5KQ58H798

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NJ9ykcmVqQ

We're coming back...Through tourism!! grin grin grin Haiti was once the hot spot for tourism.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

It was that mandingo blood boo. Mandingo warriors are something fierce.

I could have sworn Jean was Kongolese.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by MrsChima(f): 10:40am On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold:

I could have sworn Jean was Kongolese.

Work with me boo. angry
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Work with me boo. angry

lol. grin
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by MrsChima(f): 10:42am On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Yep! smiley

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU5KQ58H798

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NJ9ykcmVqQ

We're coming back...Through tourism!! grin grin grin Haiti was once the hot spot for tourism.

The earthquake whoops our azz and we are a long way from being tourist ready but we gon make it.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

The earthquake whoops our azz and we are a long way from being tourist ready but we gon make it.

True. But it seems they been working a lot on tourism lately.
http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-8375-haiti-tourism-construction-of-a-new-hotel-monte-cristo-hotel-suites.html

And education.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by MrsChima(f): 10:50am On Apr 22, 2013
My cousin told me they still got tents out there. ..all that damn money raised and women stil hooking.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by MrsChima(f): 11:00am On Apr 22, 2013
Did you know Wyclef donated all proceeds to Haiti from we are the world promo?
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 22, 2013
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Did you know Wyclef donated all proceeds to Haiti from we are the world promo?

I heard.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 22, 2013
Anyways back on topic...

[size=15pt]Zacharias III of Makuria(Nubian)[/size]
Zacharias III (Arabic: Zakarya ibn-Bahnas‎) (c. 822 – c. 854) was ruler of the Nubian kingdom of Makuria. In 833 he ceased paying the Baqt to the rulers of Egypt, and prepared to fight the Abbasid Caliph al-Mu'tasim (833-842) over the tribute. He sent his son Georgios (Arabic: Firaki) to renegotiate the terms, and al-Mu'tasim reduced the payment to once every third year.
When the Beja refused to pay their tribute to the Abbasids in 854, the forces of Makuria joined with them in attacking Egypt. They slew the Egyptian working the emerald mines in the Eastern Desert, invaded Upper Egypt and pillaged Edfu, Asna and many other villages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacharias_III_of_Makuria

This Nubian king ruled Makuria from 822 to 854. In the middle of his rule, he decided to put his foot down and stop paying the increasingly abusive Baqt tribute to the caliphate that controlled Egypt. The Baqt had been set up in 651 after Muslim armies overran Egypt and spread into North Africa. The Baqt codified several things. It established that the Arabs would not attack Nubia and the Nubians would not attack Egypt. The citizens of the two nations would be allowed to freely trade and travel between the two states, and were guaranteed safe passage while in the other nation. Immigration was strictly forbidden. Fugitives and escaped slaves would be extradited. The most controversial aspect of the Baqt was that the Nubians had to hand over a yearly tribute of 360 slaves. These slaves had to be of the highest quality, and a mix of male and female. Originally the delivery of these slaves was offset by Egyptian contributions of wheat and lentils. But, in subsequent years this remuneration was ignored and the tribute became one-sided. In 833, unhappy about the situation and capitalizing on Egypt’s weakness as it struggled with internal strife, Zacharias stopped sending the slaves. Egypt responded by trying to talk him into paying tribute only every third year, but Zacharias was having none of it. Together with the neighboring kingdom of Beja he attacked Egypt, briefly taking control of emerald mines in the eastern dessert and pillaging widely, before returning to Nubia. The Baqt was eventually reestablished and continued for another 400 years. It remains the longest standing treaty in human history.
http://zacharyscholz.com/artwork/1801634_Zacharias_III_of_Makuria.html
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 3:28pm On Apr 22, 2013
^ ^ King kalydosos of makuria killed over 100,000 arabian in war and remove their head and to tie them by foot!

The great battle of the makurian plains 643 AD

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2013
Djehutymes III was dey craze huh? grin

Narmer, kamose, pianki are also few good one from egypt land.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 3:41pm On Apr 22, 2013
Kamose

The 15th king of the 17th Dynasty was the son Queen Ahhotep I, and the brother of Ahmose I. Kamose went into war with the Hyksos with horse and chariot. His chariots were lighter and more maneuverable than in previous eras. He also had the advantage by having the Medjay as allies. These Nubian forces were ferocious hand to hand combatants that fought in the front lines. Kamose overcame the enemy at Nefrusy and moved into the oasis of Baharia. He then sailed up and down the Nile in search of traitors When Kamose died, either of natural causes or of battle wounds, without an heir, his brother Ahmose I took the throne. Kamose was the last king of the 17th Dynasty. Ahmose I was to begin the 18th dynasty New Kingdom.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by RandomAfricanAm: 3:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: [size=13pt]Colonel Tye(African American)[/size]

One more thing about tye(c. 1753–1780), the black brigade, etc, the carribean and the start of free northern states

Josef Korbel School Professor, Alan Gilbert, publishes new book; “Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence”

[img]http://www.du.edu/korbel/images/news/news_gilbert_bookcover.jpg[/img]

According to author Alan Gilbert, in his newly published book; “Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence,” there were two revolutions in America in the mid-1770s, one for Independence whose history is seemingly well-known, the other for emancipation of slaves, long buried on both side of the Atlantic. Alan Gilbert Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence published May 20th [the book is just arriving in stores now] by University of Chicago Press tells the remarkable story of this second revolution to make American freedom the freedom not of the few (male slave-owners, the propertied along with white artisans) but of the many.

These two revolutions moved often in opposition, but sometimes in harmony. George Washington relied on black troops, particularly the First Rhode Island Regiment, at Yorktown. Under the command of his aides John Laurens and Alexander Hamilton, black soldiers stormed and took the two crucial British positions and decided the battle.

But the dark secret of the American Revolution and the reason that historians, until recently, have ignored the leading role of black soldiers on both sides is the recruitment of escaped slaves by the British and their later leaving for freedom with the British.

Starting in 1772, Royal Governor of Virginia Dunmore threatened to free all the slaves and indentured servants of American rebels and raze their mansions to the ground. In 1773, Chief Justice Mansfield in Britain rule that the slave James Somersett was free on British soil. But if slavery was not legal in Britain, how long would it remain legal in the colonies?

Poor whites were also often abolitionists. Sailors, black and white, had learned from slave ***uprisings in the Caribbean*** and took the word to London and Boston and Charleston. Quakers had been opposed to slavery since the journeys and conversation of John Woolman in the 1750s. With competition among Protestant sects, their influence spread. In 1775, the New Light Presbyterian minister Samuel Hopkins in Providence denounced bondage as “a sin of crimson dye.” He wisely warned that Patriots must free their slaves now to prevent the British from mobilizing them against the revolution.

Around every owner’s table as revolution approach, Patriots denounced American enslavement by the Crown. As the servants cleaned, did they not think: but what about my natural rights? And the measure, as the Quaker David Cooper wrote, was clear enough. Patriots rebelled over arbitrary Royal tax on tea. They spoke of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” But what is a tax on tea compared to the enslavement (physical and sexual) of a human being for her whole life?

As John Adams reported of the South, a long train of information from house slaves to field slaves travelled hundreds of miles. As James Madison said, potential slave insurrection was the “Achilles’ heel” of the American Revolution and that word of uprisings in Virginia and elsewhere, increasing in 1773-74, must be, at all costs suppressed.

Samuel Johnson, the famous British essayist quipped: “How come we hear the greatest yelps for liberty from the drivers of slaves?”

In South Carolina, Henry Laurens, soon to be the second President of the Continental Congress, helped railroad a free black sea captain, Thomas Jeremiah, for allegedly plotting a slave uprising to greet the British troops sailing in Charleston. Some Patriots and the British Governor worked to free Jeremiah against whom there was no reliable evidence and towards whom the law was misapplied. A Patriot-led “Court” beheaded him and burned his body.

Laurens also plotted a mission with the Georgia Council of Safety to massacre maroons – escaped blacks who were not participants in the war at Tybee Island.

In Virginia, Patrick henry called for using the militia to present slaves from escaping. His riveting “Give me liberty or give me death!” also meant: give me bondage over others or give me death!

Prefiguring the Civil War, this book startlingly reveals, the South seceded from Britain primarily to preserve bondage. The Battle of Great Bridge where Lord Dunmore’s forces, numbering 600, were half black, made up of a newly recruited Royal Ethiopian Regiment, was an early Patriot victory. But one hears in history texts of the midnight ride of Paul Revere, and not of battles in the South which previously have been “whited out.”

Fortunately, George Washington was more a statesman than a slave owner. In answer to the British, he allowed Rhode Island in 1778 to recruit an all-black and Narragansett indian regiment. They fought throughout the war – most mainly white militias served only for 10 months – and had become, by Yorktown, the most disciplined and determined American fighters.

John Laurens, the son of Henry, had studied in Switzerland, learned from Rousseau that the two words slavery and right can never go together, and led the fight in the American leadership for abolition. In 1779, the Continental Congress passed a resolution calling for the freeing of 5,000 slaves in South Carolina and Georgia in exchange for soldiering. Unlike the Crown which freed slaves simply opportunistically, Gilbert shows, these forces fought to make the American revolution consistently for freedom.

Georg Daniel Flohr, a German private with a French unit allied to the Patriots, walked around the field at Yorktown. In his diary, he reported that most of the corpses on both sides were “Mohren” (Moors). Until this book, this has been one of the most deeply kept secrets of the American Revolution.

The military competition to free and recruit slaves nearly resulted in gradual emancipation in the American Revolution. As Gilbert shows, other independence movements of black and brown people in the Hemisphere, long neglected in the comparative study of revolutions, resulted at least in gradual emancipation. They did in the North, too. Why slavery survived the American revolution in the South, is, as Black Patriots and Loyalists shows, something of a mystery.

What happened during the Revolutionary war to cause free states?

The Revolution was a remarkable saga in African-American history. This huge conflict offered an opportunity for vast numbers of slaves to fight, and many did, on both sides, in the hope of earning their freedom.[44] It has been suggested that two revolutions went on at once—the Patriot one against the British, and a second one fought by blacks for their freedom.[45]

Throughout the war, the British repeatedly offered freedom to those slaves who would join their side. This was the first large-scale opportunity in American history for slaves to escape from their bondage. One historian has said, "Thousands of blacks fought with the British."[46] The white Tories were fighting out of loyalty to Great Britain, or out of an attachment to the British Crown, emotions which modern Americans cannot understand. The ex-slaves who joined the British cause were fighting for the most fundamental of American values—freedom—and they were fighting for it in a basic sense which no white Patriot could ever have equaled.

The historical neglect of the black Tories may not come entirely from the fact that they were not on the Patriot side. It may stem as well from the uncomfortable fact that, as an American historian has said regarding the Revolution, "... more often than otherwise, it is the British who are in the right and the Patriots who are in the wrong on the issue of [black] civil rights."[47] The story began when Lord Dunmore, the former royal governor of Virginia, on November 7, 1775, proclaimed freedom for all slaves (or indentured servants) belonging to Patriots, if they were able and willing to bear arms, and joined the British forces. One historian has said, "The proclamation had a profound effect on the war, transforming countless slaveholders into Rebels and drawing thousands of slaves to the Loyalist side."[48] Within a month of the proclamation, more than five hundred slaves left their masters and became Tories. The Ethiopian Regiment was raised, and put on uniforms with "Liberty to Slaves" across the chest. British regulars, white Tories and the Ethiopian Regiment attacked Great Bridge, near Norfolk, Virginia. The attack failed, and thirty-two captured blacks were sold by their captors back into slavery.[49]

Some of the Ethiopian Regiment escaped with Dunmore to New York shortly after the city was captured by the British in 1776. There the regiment was disbanded, but some of its men joined the Black Pioneers. This unit had been formed by the British general Henry Clinton, in North Carolina, from slaves responding to Dunmore's proclamation. (A pioneer in the British Army was a soldier who built bridges and fortifications.)[50]

[b]In August 1775, South Carolina Patriots executed Thomas Jeremiah for treason. Jeremiah was a freed black man allegedly sympathetic to the British. Within three months of his death, five hundred blacks, a tenth of the black population of Charleston, had escaped to join the British forces, and both black and white Tories were raiding Patriot plantations.[51]

At the end of 1775, the British officer Captain William Dalrymple proposed that blacks be used as "irregulars"—that is, for what we now call guerilla warfare.[52] As the war ground on, an increasing number of blacks did indeed fight as Tory irregulars, or with the regular British forces. There can be no doubt that a yearning for freedom was their motivation.

Estimates of the number of slaves who escaped to the British range from twenty thousand to one hundred thousand.[53] Thomas Jefferson estimated that thirty thousand slaves fled their masters just during the brief British invasion of Virginia in 1781.[54] Recent studies show that black soldiers fought in the British forces in large numbers, and one historian has said, that "... black soldiers were the secret of the imperial [British] army in North America."[55]

In Massachusetts, the British organized both all-black and multi-racial units. In 1779, Emmerich's Chasseurs, a Tory unit in New York, included blacks who raided the Patriots. There were black soldiers in De Lancey's Brigade in Savannah. There were blacks in the Royal Artillery units in Savannah, and black dragoons (cavalry). There were also large numbers of black pioneers and other non-combatant troops. At one point, ten per cent of the British forces at Savannah were black. There were substantial numbers of black soldiers in the British forces at Charleston, and analyses of British records show that blacks were represented in British units in Rhode Island at about the same time (1779).[56]

One of the most famous black Tories was an escaped slave named Tye. This charismatic young man escaped in 1775 from his master in New Jersey, at that time a colony where slavery was legal. In Virginia, Colonel Tye joined Dunmore's regiment. After the regiment was disbanded, Colonel Tye fought on the British side in the battle of Monmouth. He then founded a unit which the British called the Black Brigade. The Brigade relentlessly raided Patriot homes and farms in New Jersey, gathered intelligence for the British, kidnapped Patriot leaders, and gathered firewood and provisions for the British Army. Colonel Tye's men became a scourge to the Patriots. They were headquartered in a timber-built fortress at Bull's Ferry, New Jersey. George Washington was so angered by Tye's raids that he sent a thousand troops against the fortress. A force of black and white Tories fought them off after a bloody assault, and the raids went on. Colonel Tye finally died after being wounded in an assault by his men on the home of Joshua Huddy, the Patriot later hanged by William Franklin's Associated Loyalists.[57]

In addition, from at least 1776 through 1779, other black Tories were heavily involved in raids against Patriot forces in New Jersey.[58][/b]

An American historian has said about the war in the South, condescendingly, "The more intelligent and articulate [sic] of the freed slaves were quite frequently used by the British as guides in raiding parties or assigned to the commissary…"[59] (to help round up provisions). Eliza Wilkinson, daughter of slave-holding Patriots, recorded a Tory raid of which she predictably thought one of the most terrible features was the presence of "armed Negroes".[60] Battalions of blacks fought in the successful defense of Savannah against a French and Patriot siege at the end of 1779. One British observer wrote, "Our armed Negroes [were] skirmishing with the rebels the whole afternoon", and, later, "... the armed Negroes brought in two Rebel Dragoons and eight Horses, and killed two Rebels who were in a foraging party."[61] When Lord Cornwallis invaded Virginia in 1781, twenty-three of Jefferson's slaves escaped and joined the British forces.[62] It was said that two or three thousand black Tories were with Cornwallis in the Carolinas.[63] This may have included men and their wives and children, following in the wake of an army which could protect them from their former oppressors........]

Leading to the northern free states (connecting the dots)

Background

The Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic States (colonies), including Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, had legally permitted slavery in the 17th, 18th, and even part of the 19th centuries, but in the generation or two before the American Civil War, almost all slaves in such states had been emancipated through a series of statutes.

The first U.S. region by federal law that prohibited slavery was the Northwest Territory, which was ordained free under the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, passed just before the U.S. Constitution was ratified. The states created from this region—Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota —were generally settled by ****New Englanders and American Revolutionary War veterans**** granted land there. Because in this region slavery was prohibited from its inception and separated by the Ohio River from the South—which was pushing an expansion of legal slavery into the west—the concept developed of "free states" in contrast to "slave states." The rural parts of these states, at one time in direct East-West rivalry with the Northeastern commercial states, realigned with the Northeastern states, which were newly free of slavery, and together these regions created the amalgamation of states prohibiting slavery, known in the context of the Civil War as the free states.

Anti-slavery settlers in "Bleeding Kansas" in the 1850s were called Free-Soilers, because they fought (successfully) to include Kansas in the Union as a free state.

Original state-based abolition efforts

Prior to the American Revolution, all of the British North American colonies had slavery, but the Revolutionary War gave impetus to a general anti-slavery sentiment. The Northwest Territory, now known as part of the Midwest, was organized under the Northwest Ordinance with a prohibition on slavery in 1787. Massachusetts accepted that its 1780 Constitution effectively abolished slavery, and several other northern states adopted statutes requiring gradual emancipation. In 1804, New Jersey became the last original state to embark on the course of gradual emancipation.

Conflict over new territories

During the War of 1812, the British accepted as free all slaves who came into their hands, with no conditions as to military service such as had been made in Dunmore's Proclamation in the Revolutionary War. By the end of the War of 1812, the momentum for antislavery reform, state by state, appeared to run out of steam, with half of the states having already abolished slavery (Northeast), prohibited from the start (Midwest) or committed to eliminating slavery, and half committed to continuing the institution indefinitely (South).

The potential for political conflict over slavery at a federal level made politicians concerned about the balance of power in the U.S. Senate, where each State was represented by two Senators. With an equal number of slave states and free states, the United States Senate was equally divided. As the population of the free states began to outstrip the population of the slave states, leading to control of the House of Representatives by free states, the Senate became the preoccupation of slave state politicians interested in maintaining a Congressional veto over federal policy in regard to slavery. As a result of this preoccupation, slave states and free states were often admitted into the Union in pairs to maintain the existing Senate balance between slave and free.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-rqrdDBdn1Hs/T0t6k-uw9XI/AAAAAAAAD48/gt6CJvo1a6c/s1600/Missouri+Compromise.png[/img]

Those free northern states opened the door for the activities of who? (connecting the dots)

Harriet Tubman (1820 – March 10, 1913)

All those re-captured experienced soldiers in virginia, carolinas, and georgia provided knowledge and/or troops for who & what?

John Horse (ca. 1812–1882)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsi8R_d3hzQ

Check the dates and events its all one big continuation from Colonel Tye(c. 1753–1780) to John Horse (ca. 1812–1882) with little pause inbetween

2 Likes

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 3:52pm On Apr 22, 2013
Also Mogho Naba's of Mossi deserve good mention, much like 25th dynasty of egypt land every mogho naba was a war one, superb horseman too, suspect to head chopping was common occurrence for islamist fundamentalist and christian missionaire there.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 3:56pm On Apr 22, 2013
Queen Candace

[img]http://2.bp..com/_y9O5dPEqMbU/RwzZYd36MvI/AAAAAAAAAU0/q25mLiZ0uZs/s400/african_queens.jpg[/img]

Alexander reached Kemet (Ancient Egypt) in 332 B.C., on his world conquering rampage. But one of the greatest generals of the ancient world was also the Empress of Ethiopia. This formidable black Queen Candace, was world famous as a military tactician and field commander. Legend has it that Alexander could not entertain even the possibilty of having his world fame and unbroken chain of victories marred by risking a defeat, at last, by a woman. He halted his armies at the borders of Ethiopia and did not invade to meet the waiting black armies with their Queen in personal command.

The Romans met several queens of Meroë whom they thought were named "Kandake" (KAN-DA-key). They did not realize that "Kandake" was simply the Meroitic title meaning "Queen" or "Mother of the crown prince". Our modern female name Candace (now pronounced Kan-das) comes from this ancient Nubian royal title.

The Kushites gave special honor to their queens because they believed that the kings, who were sons of these women, were also sons of the great god Amun. In other words, they imagined that these ladies were actually wives of the god and mothers of the living gods (the kings). If a king died, his wife might rule alone while her son was growing up. The people would worship her like a goddess.

When the Romans went to war against Kush in 24 BCE, they reported that the Kushite army was led by a "Candace" who was "a very masculine sort of woman and blind in one eye." We can understand this strange description when we see how the artists represented the queens. They were massive, powerful women, covered with jewels and elaborate fringed and tasseled robes. They often appear carrying weapons in one hand, preparing to kill bunches of small enemy figures which they hold in the other.

smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kim Yo-Jong, Jong-Un's Sister To Lead North Korea If He Dies / Gov. / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.