Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,731 members, 7,809,803 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! (137399 Views)

Dahomey Women Warriors - Nigerias Deadliest Fighting Force! / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe / Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 24, 2013
[size=15pt]Francisco Menendez(Creole/African American)[/size]

Francisco Menendez was a free black military leader serving the Spanish Crown in 18th century St. Augustine, Florida. He is first traceable as a slave in South Carolina who, like many of his contemporaries, escaped to St. Augustine, Florida. In Florida he was granted his freedom as a subject to the King of Spain and was appointed the head of the black militia based at Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose. From this base Menendez led several raids on South Carolina.
In 1740, the British army marched into Florida and overran Fort Mose but days later Spanish and Fort Mose militia members defeated the British and prevented further invasion. Fort Mose was destroyed during this bloody battle.
Menendez took to the seas on a Spanish ship to raid English vessels. During this time he was captured by the English and sold into slavery. He was then ransomed and returned to Florida. After his return to Florida he was asked to rebuild Fort Mose. The community remained until the British took control of Florida in 1763 and Menendez evacuated with the Fort Mose community to Cuba. There he established a similar community called St. Augustine of the New Florida.
Fort Mose, of which Menendez was the leader, is now recognized as a National Historic Landmark, and the site is owned by the Florida Park Service. The Fort Mose Historical Society has worked since 1995 to make the site accessible to the public and widely known as the first legally sanctioned free community of ex-slaves, and the original focal point of the first Underground Railroad.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Menendez_(creole)

[size=15pt]Fort Moses[/size]
While Spain owned Florida in the early 1700s, Great Britain had lands on the north Atlantic coast line. These two nations had overlapping claims from the St. Johns River, up to South Carolina. The slaves from Great Britain's territory fled to Spain's land for freedom. The Spanish took them in as long as they became Catholic and served as militia for the Spanish.

Fort Mose became a freedom home to those slaves who had escaped. African Americans came down the Atlantic coast to be in this Spanish settlement. (see Fort Mose-Underground Railroad connection). This flight of slaves to Florida was not welcomed by the English colonists who felt their economy could not survive without slave labor.

In September of 1739 war erupted between Spain and Great Britain. The governor and founder of the British colony of Georgia, General James Ogelthorpe, then decided that it was time to march on St. Augustine in May of 1740. The British first came to Fort Mose and the inhabitants briefly tried to defend their small outpost, but it was decided that everyone would retreat to St. Augustine for safety. The British then took over Fort Mose.

In June, 137 armed force was sent by Oglethorpe to stop Spaniards from foraging for food and horses outside the city. Oglethorpe, had brought in a great number of soldiers with him to Florida. The attack had combined forces of the 42 British regiment, the Highland Independent Company of Foot (Scottish), South Carolina militia, Georgia volunteers and Indian allies. Captain Hugh Mackay held the real command of the troops whom had settled in the abandoned Fort. A volunteer who held operational control was Colonel John Palmer. Conflicts between Palmer and Mackay and mistrust of South Carolinians and Georgians made for much fighting inside the Fort which was now held by the English.

Six months later, a combined force of Spanish regulars, black militia and Indian allies planned to retake the fort. It was a battle without mercy or prisoners, and would be referred to in English annals as "Bloody Mose." Colonel Palmer knew the attack was coming. He had fought against the Yammasee Indians (Spanish allies) before. He knew that they would attack just before dawn. He got his troops up at 3:00am every morning to prepare for an attack. This attack came on the morning of June 26, 1740. He told them to stay watching since they had heard the Indian war Dance. But, knowing of the fights between Captain Mackay and Col. Palmer, most of the men did not listen to Palmer, and went back to bed.

Then what happened was the Indians attacked with many simultaneous missiles creating a great hurry and confusion. Indians attacked in different groups while Col. Palmer kept telling soldiers not to give up. Col. Palmer's attack plan was this: 1) wait till they shoot 2) half of the soldiers shoot back and fall back 3) the rest of the soldiers come up and do the same. But the Spanish were winning and moving on to reclaim Fort Mose. An Indian prisoner had informed the Spanish that he saw Col. Palmer dead with his head cut off.

During ferocious fighting, the fort was destroyed by fire.

After getting Fort Mose the Spanish had 34 prisoners and 68 dead.

Source:
http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0213580/fortmose5.html

^^^Hey RandomAfricanAm...Does this connects the dots even more?
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
RandomAfricanAm:

KidStranglehold:

[img]http://3.bp..com/-STQBQ40Geec/UVmyKBSVJzI/AAAAAAAALK4/FcCZkz7q5LU/s1600/clap.gif[/img]

[size=15pt]AGREED![/size]
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by RandomAfricanAm: 4:32pm On Apr 24, 2013
*Kails*:

smiley

To be complete I gotta throw the thanks to the Kongo, igbo, yoruba, hausa, akan, mende, wolof, ect. all the way back to the green sahara. Not so much for the tribalism and/or infighting undecided
But for the stong building blocks ...and not letting the continent turn into a reproduction of the Americas(where the population was largely crowded out or replaced). Though that thanks goes from Cape to Cairo - Morocco to Madagascar; and from Man to Mosquitoe - Gun to Germ

@KidStranglehold:
I'm drawing the lines in my head as I type....also notice that this is 1740 which is before Dunmore's Proclamation on November 7, 1775 which points to the british trying to use the revolts for there own gain also shows that the revolts started before Tye and kept going on in the same areas after tye and crew helped open up northern free states hmm....

Now I want to see the british reports to link british campains against revolts in the south along with british issues in jamaica around that time to Dunmores' decision up north.(Gotta look at the bigger picture around this time not just the U.S)

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 24, 2013
RandomAfricanAm:

@KidStranglehold:
I'm drawing the lines in my head as I type....also notice that this is 1740 which is before Dunmore's Proclamation on November 7, 1775 which points to the british trying to use the revolts for there own gain also shows that the revolts started before Tye and kept going on in the same areas after tye and crew helped open up northern free states hmm....

Now I want to see the british reports to link british campains against revolts in the south along with british issues in jamaica around that time to Dunmores' decision up north.(Gotta look at the bigger picture around this time not just the U.S)

Interesting and I totally agree that we SHOULD look at the bigger picture instead of only the USA.

Also IIRC...You said you were thinking of pointing the Haitian man that helped Bolivar. Do you mind posting? I am REALLY interested!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 24, 2013
One of the most famous black pirates!
[size=16pt]Black Caesar [/size]

Black Caesar, according to traditional accounts, was a prominent African tribal war chieftain. Widely known for his "huge size, immense strength, and keen intelligence", he evaded capture from many different slave traders. Caesar was finally captured when he and twenty of his warriors were lured onto a ship by a slave trader. Showing him a watch, the trader promised to show him and his warriors more objects which were "too heavy and too numerous to bring on shore" if they came aboard his ship. He enticed them to stay with food, musical instruments, silk scarves and jewels, however he had his men raise anchor and slowly sail away. When Caesar discovered what was happening, he and his men attempted to charge their captors but were driven back by the well-armed sailors using swords and pistols. Although it took a considerable length of time for him and his warriors to accept their captivity, he was eventually befriended by a sailor who was the only man Black Caesar would accept food and water from.
As they neared the coast of Florida, the sudden appearance of a hurricane threatened to destroy the ship on the Florida Reefs. Recognizing the ship's imminent destruction, the sailor snuck below decks and freed Caesar. The two then forced the captain and crew into a corner, most likely at gunpoint, and boarded one of the longboats with ammunition and other supplies. The wind and waves pushed them to shore where they waited out the storm, apparently the only survivors of the doomed ship.
They soon began using the lifeboat to lure passing ships which stopped to give assistance. While posing as shipwrecked sailors, they would sail out to the vessel offering to take them aboard. Once they were close to the vessel, they brought out their guns and demanded supplies and ammunition, threatening to sink the ship if they were refused. He and the sailor continued this ploy for a number of years and amassed a sizable amount of treasure which was buried on Elliott Key. However, he and the sailor had a falling out over a young woman the mate had brought back from one of the ships they had looted. Fighting over her, Caesar killed his longtime friend in a duel and took the woman for his own.
He began taking on more pirates over time and soon was able to attack ships on the open sea. He and his crew were often able to avoid capture by running into Caesar's Creek and other inlets between Elliot and Old Rhodes Key and onto the mangrove islands. Using a metal ring embedded in a rock, they ran a strong rope through the ring, heel the boat over, and hide their boat in the water until the patrol ship or some other danger went away. They might also lower the mast and sink the ship in shallow water, later cutting the rope or pumping out the water to raise the boat and continue raiding. It is thought that he and his men buried 26 bars of silver on the island, although no treasure has ever been recovered from the island.
He apparently had a harem on his island, having at least 100 women seized from passing ships, as well as a prison camp which he kept prisoners in stone huts hoping to ransom them. When leaving the island to go on raids, he left no provisions for these prisoners and many eventually starved to death. A few children reportedly escaped captivity, subsisting on berries and shellfish, and formed their own language and customs. This society of lost children give rise to native superstition that the island is haunted.
During the early 18th century, Caesar left Biscayne Bay to join Blackbeard in raiding American shipping in the Mid-Atlantic serving as a lieutenant on his flagship Queen Anne's Revenge. In 1718, after Blackbeard's death battling with Lieutenant Robert Maynard at Ocracoke Island, he attempted to set off the powder magazine as per Blackbeard's instructions. However, Caesar was stopped by one of the captives who tackled him as prepared to light a trail of gunpowder leading to the magazine. He struggled with the man below decks until several of Maynard's sailors were able to restrain him. Taken prisoner by Virginian colonial authorities, he was convicted of piracy and hanged in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Caesar_(pirate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lLvwhZlozM

Note that there are TWO Black Caesars...This one(the original one of the 18th century) and the Haitian one.

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by RandomAfricanAm: 5:46pm On Apr 24, 2013
Will do I have some free time.

On a side note: I wish we could do something more for brazil. When you look at history everything has been Africa-> Carribean-> U.S.->(Repeat: maybe add the UK & France at times) If you look at Bahia Brazil they have really been strong "keepers of the culture" do to their isolation from the Government/society. From what I've read they're are really welcoming of other diasporans also. I've read about a good deal of AA going down to open businesses and such so the contacts are on the ground.

It would be great to build a university thier for the people. Something along the line of...

Merchent marine school: navigation, maritime trade, ship building,
Transportation: Trucking, Railway contruction & mantinence
Mineing: mineral economics, earth sciences, materials, and environmental science and engineering.
Fisheries: fish farms, deep sea fishing, etc
Forestries: tree farms, etc.
Agriculture:
Economics:
A history & culture department would be nice also to document Afro-brazilian & south/central american history & culture.
(Basicaly a school dealing with extraction, distribution, and managing natural resources ***Tired of everyone trying to be a lawyer or a doctor*** Yes, they are desperatly needed but often times I smell self importent "prestige hunters" )

It would be good for Afro brazilians in helping them get their hands into the wider central/south american market. It would also be a school diasporans from central american, Africa, U.S and carribean could find useful cause lets face it.. this knowledge is needed and your not going to get it at Howard.U, etc undecided
(yes I know there are other schools that teach these subjects but Afro-Brazilians can't get into **most** schools given thier isolation)
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 24, 2013
RandomAfricanAm: Will do I have some free time.

On a side note: I wish we could do something more for brazil. When you look at history everything has been Africa-> Carribean-> U.S.->(Repeat: maybe add the UK & France at times) If you look at Bahia Brazil they have really been strong "keepers of the culture" do to their isolation from the Government/society. From what I've read they're are really welcoming of other diasporans also. I've read about a good deal of AA going down to open businesses and such so the contacts are on the ground.

It would be great to build a university thier for the people. Something along the line of...

Mineing: mineral economics, earth sciences, materials, and environmental science and engineering.
Agriculture:
Economics:
A history & culture department would be nice also to document Afro-brazilian & south/central american history & culture.
(Basicaly a school dealing with extraction, distribution, and managing natural resources ***Tired of everyone trying to be a lawyer or a doctor*** Yes, they are desperatly needed but often times I smell self importent "prestige hunters" )

It would be good for Afro brazilians in helping them get their hands into the wider central/south american market. It would also be a school diasporans from central american, Africa, U.S and carribean could find useful cause lets face it.. this knowledge is needed and your not going to get it at Howard.U, etc undecided
(yes I know there are other schools that teach these subjects but Afro-Brazilians can't get into **most** schools given thier isolation)

Yeah I heard about a lot of African Americans going to Brazil and interacting with a lot of Afro-Brazilians and having a good time. Afro-Brazilians IMO have the most 'African' culture in the Diaspora...Second probably be the Gullah people or other Afro-Latino cultures.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 6:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
My intent is never tribal fight here or any place as I do not like those who tribal over another, let us continue post the good warrior from our land.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 6:26pm On Apr 24, 2013
King Cetshwayo the last great ruler of Zululand.

[img]http://craighillnet.files./2012/08/aug-28-king-cetshwayo.jpg[/img]

On 11 December 1878, agents of the British delivered an ultimatum to 14 chiefs representing Cetshwayo. The terms of the ultimatum were unacceptable to Cetshwayo. British forces crossed the Tugela river at the end of December 1878. Initially, the British suffered a heavy defeat at the Battle of Isandlwana on 22 January 1879 where the Zulu army killed more than 1,000 British soldiers in a single day. The Zulu deployment at Isandhlwana showed the well-organized tactical system that had made the Zulu kingdom successful for many decades, but their human wave tactics and the poor quality of their troops often cost them much heavier casualties at the hands of firearm-wielding, well-trained British infantry. The Battle of Isandlwana proved to be the worst defeat ever suffered by British forces against native opposition.

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by heavenlynzinga: 6:38pm On Apr 24, 2013
Before julius nyerere there was king mkwavinyika

Paramount Chief Mkwavinyika Munyigumba Mwamuyinga (1855–19 July 18981), more commonly known as Chief Mkwawa, was a Hehe tribal leader in German East Africa (now mostly the mainland part of Tanzania) who opposed the German colonisation. The name "Mkwawa" is derived from Mukwava, itself a shortened form of Mukwavinyika, meaning "conqueror of many lands". Mkwawa was born in Luhota and was the son of Chief Munyigumba, who died in 1879.

During the second half of the 19th century the Hehe became one of the most powerful tribes in central Tanzania overpowering one group after another until by the late 1880s they were threatening trade traffic along the caravan route to Bagamoyo. In July 1891, the German commissioner, Emil von Zelewski, led a battalion of soldiers (320 askaris with
officers and porters) to suppress the Hehe. On 17 August, they were attacked by Mkwawa's 3,000- strong army at Lugalo, who, despite only being equipped with spears and a few guns, quickly overpowered the German force and killed Zelewski.
In response, the Germans placed a bounty on Mkwawa's head. On 28 October 1894, the Germans, under the new
commissioner Colonel Freiherr Friedrich von Schele, counterattacked Mkwawa's fortress at Kalenga.Although they took the fort, Mkwawa managed to escape.

Chief Mkwawa exercised an inexplicable influence over the natives who, when the pursuing troops surprised his camp, would time after time hurl themselves on the soldiers, sacrificing themselves merely to give Chief Mkwawa the chance to escape. No scheme for his capture was possible, and no German knew even what he looked like.In 1898 when German Governor offered a reward of 5,000 rupees for Chief Mkwawa's head, there was no Hehe willing to take it. Mkwawa conducted a campaign of guerrilla warfare, harassing the Germans. On June 19th 1898, Chief Mkwawa set his last camp at Mlambalasi on the way to Kalenga to secretly inspect his fort. The Hehe came to warn him that a company of German forces led by Sergeant Merckel was near by. Chief Mkwawa realized that he could not get away. It was the end. But he was not going to be taken as prisoner.

Avoid lot of colonial rhetoric the king committed suicide to avoid his capture then germans later found king mkwavin corpse to cut the head off with them to german. Now it is display at the native hehe land museum. There was film made on him dont know the accurate because whites made it.

Little more than fleet of spears and a few rifles whip a german. grin

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by somalia9: 9:09pm On Apr 24, 2013
this thread would give a 'hard on' to any afrocentric, but clearly it is flawed in its logic.

if you there were african warriors who were ni99ers, why did you all end up enslaved.

now if we are talking about somali/ethiopians now they are some warriors there.

but the rest of africa? come on son.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 24, 2013
heavenly_nzinga: Before julius nyerere there was king mkwavinyika

Paramount Chief Mkwavinyika Munyigumba Mwamuyinga (1855–19 July 18981), more commonly known as Chief Mkwawa, was a Hehe tribal leader in German East Africa (now mostly the mainland part of Tanzania) who opposed the German colonisation. The name "Mkwawa" is derived from Mukwava, itself a shortened form of Mukwavinyika, meaning "conqueror of many lands". Mkwawa was born in Luhota and was the son of Chief Munyigumba, who died in 1879.

During the second half of the 19th century the Hehe became one of the most powerful tribes in central Tanzania overpowering one group after another until by the late 1880s they were threatening trade traffic along the caravan route to Bagamoyo. In July 1891, the German commissioner, Emil von Zelewski, led a battalion of soldiers (320 askaris with
officers and porters) to suppress the Hehe. On 17 August, they were attacked by Mkwawa's 3,000- strong army at Lugalo, who, despite only being equipped with spears and a few guns, quickly overpowered the German force and killed Zelewski.
In response, the Germans placed a bounty on Mkwawa's head. On 28 October 1894, the Germans, under the new
commissioner Colonel Freiherr Friedrich von Schele, counterattacked Mkwawa's fortress at Kalenga.Although they took the fort, Mkwawa managed to escape.

Chief Mkwawa exercised an inexplicable influence over the natives who, when the pursuing troops surprised his camp, would time after time hurl themselves on the soldiers, sacrificing themselves merely to give Chief Mkwawa the chance to escape. No scheme for his capture was possible, and no German knew even what he looked like.In 1898 when German Governor offered a reward of 5,000 rupees for Chief Mkwawa's head, there was no Hehe willing to take it. Mkwawa conducted a campaign of guerrilla warfare, harassing the Germans. On June 19th 1898, Chief Mkwawa set his last camp at Mlambalasi on the way to Kalenga to secretly inspect his fort. The Hehe came to warn him that a company of German forces led by Sergeant Merckel was near by. Chief Mkwawa realized that he could not get away. It was the end. But he was not going to be taken as prisoner.

Avoid lot of colonial rhetoric the king committed suicide to avoid his capture then germans later found king mkwavin corpse to cut the head off with them to german. Now it is display at the native hehe land museum. There was film made on him dont know the accurate because whites made it.

Little more than fleet of spears and a few rifles whip a german. grin

INTERESTING!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Yeah I heard about a lot of African Americans going to Brazil and interacting with a lot of Afro-Brazilians and having a good time. Afro-Brazilians IMO have the most 'African' culture in the Diaspora...Second probably be the Gullah people or other Afro-Latino cultures.

NOOOOO WAY!!
Haitians have them beat!! by far! grin
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by somalia9: 11:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
*Kails*:

NOOOOO WAY!!

i like ur profile picture cheesy
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 24, 2013
RandomAfricanAm: On a side note: I wish we could do something more for brazil. When you look at history everything has been Africa-> Carribean-> U.S.->(Repeat: maybe add the UK & France at times) If you look at Bahia Brazil they have really been strong "keepers of the culture" do to their isolation from the Government/society. From what I've read they're are really welcoming of other diasporans also. I've read about a good deal of AA going down to open businesses and such so the contacts are on the ground.

Agriculture:
Economics:

Interesting..but what is the likelihood that the Brazilian gov't will allow that though?
I mean Afro. Brazilians are aware of who they are racially speaking, esp. due to the internet and the influence of other diasporans (AAs & Caribs) in the form of entertainment (mostly music). But we are talking about them having their own education system which requires money...lots of it.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 24, 2013
somalia9:

i like ur profile picture cheesy

thanks.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by somalia9: 11:34pm On Apr 24, 2013
*Kails*:

thanks.

i want to do things to your phat a55
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:14am On Apr 25, 2013
*Kails*:

NOOOOO WAY!!

Sorry Kails...But as a person that is part Haitian I must disagree. Yes genetically speaking Haitians are in fact the most 'African' of the diaspora. But when it comes to culturally, Afro-Brazilians have Haitians beat by a mile. Haitian culture(food, dance, music, language,etc) is a COMPLETE mixture of African, French, Spanish, Native and even Arab. Just look at the Haitian dance 'Kompa'...Yes Kompa has African influence, but you can DEFINITELY see the French influence. You can also see some French/Spanish in Haitian food. The language is definitely mixed up. Haitian culture is a lot similar to creole culture from Louisiana...When hearing Haitian music like this. cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnzcWJjC3g

^^^Yes the dance moves are most definitely African(most likely Congolese), but the beat sounds French influenced.

But here looks MORE French influenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XLiLxFjbw

What I am trying to say is that Haitian culture is now raw/pure African culture. The most African influenced thing in Haiti is Voodoo and even that is mixed with European catholic, so to me it is not raw/pure. With Black Brazilian culture on the other hand...Their culture is ACTUALLY raw/pure African. The stuff in their culture can ACTUALLY be traced back to Africa(most likely modern day Angola). They actually speak some African languages, capoeira still practiced in Angola and the gods black Brazilians worship are STILL the same African gods, not a mix between African/European gods.

Remember Brazil has the largest African descent population outside of Africa and they actually persevered most their culture. Not only that but Bahia is like a little Africa.

Culturally speaking Black Brazilians are more African to me.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:35am On Apr 25, 2013
RAA...I see you viewing. Please post something. smiley
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by somalia9: 12:40am On Apr 25, 2013
KidStranglehold: RAA...I see you viewing. Please post something. smiley

what is he gonna post?

martin luther king? lazy guy who asked a white prostttiute to call him a ni99er? it was recorded by the FBI.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 25, 2013
somalia9:

what is he gonna post?

martin luther king? lazy guy who asked a white prostttiute to call him a ni99er? it was recorded by the FBI.

You post someone. You did say Somalis are the greatest warriors...*rollseyes*
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by RandomAfricanAm: 1:04am On Apr 25, 2013
*Kails*:

Interesting..but what is the likelihood that the Brazilian gov't will allow that though?
I mean Afro. Brazilians are aware of who they are racially speaking, esp. due to the internet and the influence of other diasporans (AAs & Caribs) in the form of entertainment (mostly music). But we are talking about them having their own education system which requires money...lots of it.

From a legality stand point I don't see how/why they could stop it
From a geopolitical stand point ...well, thats a different story. But I'm up for a battle cool

I think historically they deserve it and given the rising economy in Brazil it would be nice to see them positioned in society to where they can take max advantage.

I understand they know who they are. I'm talking mainly about recording and tracking who they are before and while it changes. Though how they fit into the wider "African World" would be nice also.
Example: I didn't even know that there were as many African people in south/central America growing up. I also didn't know how many retentions from Africa caried over to the U.S and carribean. I thought it was stuff people just did, not knowing they get it from/or it was derived from elsewhere.

Actualy I'm curious who would staff it.....?? I just feel a school would be the most beneficial thing to do. you could alway go the cheap rout and open businesses and let them work for you but I feel like that would be parasitic. What happens when they close or go out of business? They are back to square one. There is enough money in the diaspora to open a school(one department at a time) Especialy if it's training thats hard to get otherwise(limited seats, etc.) or a great location like Bahia Brazil!

I'd love to go to school on the beach :p

1. Open it up one department at a time.
2. Sell it as a school for Afro-Brazilians mainly along with Africa, U.S, Carribean
3. Target it at skills that are hard to get otherwise (Merchant marine)
(See: us merchant marine academy http://www.usmma.edu/ )
***remember one department at a time you can buy a fishing troller/cargo vessel***
***How much money do we blow on air/boat fair***
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 25, 2013
Aye...Let me bump this thread.

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 25, 2013
[size=15pt]Dahia al-Kahina(Berber)[/size]

She was known for her strong resistance to invading Islamic Arabs.

Known by her Arabic name al-Kahina (the priestess), Queen Dahia ruled a Jawara kingdom located in the eastern regions of the Aurés Mountains of Algeria. Legend says that Dahia and her people had been converted to the Jewish faith, and it was due in part to this adherence to Judaism that she so intensely resisted the Muslim Arabs who invaded North Africa in the mid-seventh century.

Al-Kahina inherited the battle against Islamic rule from Kuseila, or Kuysayla, the chief of the Awraba peoples, who was himself a leader of the Sanhaja Berbers in the central Maghrib. The battle for the region began as early as 670 when advancing Arab armies invaded the northern region of the continent, then known as Ifriqiya. Initially, Kuseila, like thousands of other Berbers, embraced the Islamic faith, even assisting Muslim armies in their conquest of many local towns formerly governed by Berber chieftains. After an Arabic governor invaded and plundered Kuseila's homeland of Tlemcen, however, Kuseila sought revenge. Taking the title of governor, he organized armed resistance against any further absorption into the growing Islamic empire.

By about 687, the Berber kingdom established by Kuseila bordered Queen Dahia al-Kahina's territory. Upon Kuseila's death, about 688, she joined the battle, and by 698 she had become a formidable force, successful at driving Arab armies from the region. After suffering a stunning defeat in 701, Arab forces regrouped, adding converted Berbers to their ranks. The Arab army, led by Hassan ibn an-Nu'man, advanced on northern Africa again. In 705, a major battle took place near Carthage, in modern-day Tunisia, during which al-Kahina was killed.

Source:
http://www.fofweb.com/History/HistRefMain.asp?iPin=AHCII0133&SID=2&DatabaseName=Ancient+and+Medieval+History+Online&InputText=%22Sanhaja+Berbers%22&SearchStyle=&dTitle=Dahia+al-Kahina&TabRecordType=Biography&BioCountPass=2&SubCountPass=11&DocCountPass=0&ImgCountPass=0&MapCountPass=0&FedCountPass=&MedCountPass=0&NewsCountPass=0&RecPosition=1&AmericanData=&WomenData=&AFHCData=&IndianData=&WorldData=&AncientData=Set&GovernmentData=
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 9:02pm On Apr 25, 2013
Henri Caesar(Haitian)
Black Caesar (Henri Caesar) was born in the mid-1760's to Haitian slaves owned by a wealthy French planter named Arnaut. He spent his childhood performing various tasks inside as a houseboy, but was later moved to the lumberyard in an effort to employ his larger physique.
Buy Flag (more info)
Reports indicate that Caesar suffered mistreatment at the hands of the lumberyard overseer, in contrast to his former experience as a houseboy. When the plantation was caught up in the 1791 Haitian slave revolt led by Dutty Boukman and Toussaint L'Ouverture, Caesar reserved a retribution for the man, carried out with a saw.
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on favorites Share on blogger Share on facebook Share on twitter

For the next few years, Black Caesar and many other former slaves carried on the revolt by attacking French soldiers and their encampments. By 1804, France had given up the country to the conflict, and Haiti became the first nation in the west to become independent after America. The ex-slaves had made few provisions for their success, and they quickly fell into disenchantment. Caesar and his small crew were drawn to raid upon the water, making their pirate base out of Port de Paix on the northern coast of Haiti.
After he first overtook a Spanish ship in 1805, he found moderate success attacking smaller vessels and villages around Cuba and the Bahamas. The return of British presence on the local seas at the end of the War of 1812 was motivation for Caesar to work elsewhere, and he moved his operations to south Florida and its southwest. Some of the locations reportedly visited or used as a base by the now Florida pirate are Pine Island, White Horse Key, Marco Island, Elliot Key, and most notably Sanibel Island.

The story of Black Caesar is rather unusual in that there are many stories of his having stashed treasure at various places (estimated between $2 million and $6 million), but there is no clear story about the end of his life. Some authors associate him with a pirate named Jose Gaspar, whose very existence is doubtful. Add to this the stories of mysterious marks on ancient trees in the areas he was said to frequent, and you have a mystique so large, one pirate's life may not contain it.

Source:
http://www.thepiratesrealm.com/Black%20Caesar.html

^^^This is the 'Black Caesar' that came after the first Black Caesar in the 18th century. Note I can barely find any info on this Black Caesar.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by somalia9: 12:07am On Apr 26, 2013
unfollowed.

this thread has turned into nostalgia, even though nothing for blacks to go back to more than 100 years ago.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 26, 2013
somalia9: unfollowed.

this thread has turned into nostalgia, even though nothing for blacks to go back to more than 100 years ago.

3 Likes

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ramses III aka Ancient Egypts last great pharaoh

During his long tenure in the midst of the surrounding political chaos of the Greek Dark Ages, Egypt was beset by foreign invaders (including the so-called Sea Peoples and the Libyans) and experienced the beginnings of increasing economic difficulties and internal strife which would eventually lead to the collapse of the Twentieth Dynasty. In Year 8 of his reign, the Sea Peoples, including Peleset, Denyen, Shardana, Meshwesh of the sea, and Tjekker, invaded Egypt by land and sea. Ramesses III defeated them in two great land and sea battles. Although the Egyptians had a reputation as poor seamen they fought tenaciously. Rameses lined the shores with ranks of archers who kept up a continuous volley of arrows into the enemy ships when they attempted to land on the banks of the Nile. Then the Egyptian navy attacked using grappling hooks to haul in the enemy ships. In the brutal hand to hand fighting which ensued, the Sea People were utterly defeated.
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_III#Tenure_of_constant_war

^^^Note it was proven that King Ramses III was E1b1a which is mainly found in West-Central Africans.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
that's what i am talking about!!
cool cool

thanks for bumping this thread!!

btw check out the thread i posted for you guys...
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
*Kails*:
that's what i am talking about!!
cool cool

thanks for bumping this thread!!

btw check out the thread i posted for you guys...

You welcome. I seen it.

Also post some more Jamaican Maroons!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
[size=15pt]Henry Christophe(Haitian)[/size]

In 1767, Henri Christophe was born on the island of Grenada, a British colonial acquisition. His parents were slaves brought to Grenada with thousands of other west Africans to work in the sugar industry. The Africans that the English used as slaves in the sugar industry were known for their fierce and determined nature to resist the institution of slavery. The revolutionary nature of Henri Christophe has its roots deeply embedded in his African ancestry.

Henri's obstinate, argumentative, and obdurate nature led his father to sell his services to a French ship's Captain as a cabin boy, before had reached the age of ten. The ship's captain sold Henri to a French sugar planter in the French province on the island of Saint Dominique called Haiti, which was a Carib Indian name meaning "the land of the mountains." The brutality of the French planters led to much discontent among the slaves in Haiti. These acts of brutality were witnessed by Henri and set the stage for his role in the Haitian revolution.

Christophe participated in the American Revolutionary War in the French contingent. Sergeant Henri Christophe was among the five hundred forty-five Haitian free Negroes known as the Fontages Legion. Fighting to make men in another country free from oppression created a thirst for freedom within Christophe.

In June 1794, Haiti was threatened with the threat of the Spaniards and the English who wanted to share the wealth created by the sugar industry. The Spaniards constituted the greatest threat and a battle for control of Haiti ensued. The three principal figures in the Haitian revolution were Toussaint L'Overture, Jean Jacques Dessalines, and Henri Christophe. Toussaint joined the French forces against the Spaniards and became a general of the slaves and marched to several villages, liberating his brothers who immediately joined his forces. After having distinguished himself in battle, Christophe was made a sergeant by Toussaint and later made a General by Dessalines. The French forces were defeated and Haiti was declared an independent republic on November 27, 1803. The republic of Haiti was divided into two states and Christophe was elected president of the Northern State in February of 1807, and Alexandre Petion was elected President of the Southern Repbulic of Haiti in March. The division between the republics was to last for a decade.

Source:
http://www.polymernotes.org/biographies/HTI_bio_christophe.htm

Palace built by him... cool

And the Citadel that was build by him.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by alanmwene: 7:30pm On Apr 28, 2013
A True queen warrior:Mrs Kyenge who has just been confirmed as the first black woman to be appointed in an italian government.Professor of medecine,she has been in the italian democratic party for a long time.What a warrior queen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNPHx8UcPgg
She follows in the steps of his illustrious elders:
Nsaku Nne vunda:The first black ambassador in the vatican
Jean Touadi,the first black to be elected in the italian parliament.
What is up with italians and kongoleses people?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kim Yo-Jong, Jong-Un's Sister To Lead North Korea If He Dies / Gov. / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.