Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,562 members, 7,770,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:52 AM

Tell Us About The City Where You Live - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tell Us About The City Where You Live (160435 Views)

Hilarious Photo All The Way From The City Of Warri / Tell Us The Best Places To Live In Nigeria And Why / FG Sites Green City Project In The City Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live by SamMilla1(m): 10:38am On Apr 11, 2008
Goodday everybody.

Its obvious that Nigerians are among the most travelled nations of planet earth. Its also obvious that we are on every city here

on earth. I read a thread here where someone was telling of his experiences on some European countries that he visited in the

past. He narrated what life is like in some parts of the world especially the Eastern European conutries, Now what i want us to

do here is this, Pick a city where you live and know the terrain very well.Remember,nobody can tell you how to get along well in

a city more than someone you know.Describe to nigerians what life is like there. Tell us the good times of the year to visit. Tell

us the efficiency of transportation , the hotel costs, the friendlines of the indigenes, tell us everything, You will be suprised how

many Nigerians you will invite to your city because of the things you will say here, I will start,

Follow this instruction below please,

WHEN YOU CLICK ON REPLY, GO TO THE SUBJECT COLUMN AND DELETE THE NAME OF THE THREAD,

PUT THE CITY NAME THERE. It will be easy for the audience ,

Remember, Dont let someone else tell about your city before you, It will be fun,

(Remember this covers every where in the world, From Cotonou to Honolulu, Helsinki to Durban, Beijing to Caracas.)

NB
For guys in Nigeria, its also welcomed to write about the cities you live in , From Katsina to PH-Jalingo to Abeokuta. Maidugri to Benin, Show us your city from your own view,
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by SamMilla1(m): 11:00am On Apr 11, 2008
Amsterdam is the capital City of Holland. Located 2 hours road drive to Germany and 1 hour to Belgium. It is the biggest habour of black communities in Europe. The only city where blacks has a town of their own called Bijlmer. It has the highest attraction of foreigners due to the positon of their airport. The city center is about ten minutes drive with a taxi from the airport, Its a city built on top of water itself. There are hundred of canals channeled all through the city. Its best known for it nightlife. The people are friendly to foreigners and almost all speak english(the official language is Dutch). The transportation system is very efficient. You can get a bus almost everywhere in the city to your destination. The metro ( small underground trains that run around the city) starts from the central station to all directions, making movement very easy.
The food is very good too as you can find every kind of food from all over the world.You can find amala, ewedu, garri,egusi,okro, bitterleaf, and every other African food items in Amsterdam and they are relatively cheaper than other parts of Europe.
You can also get african resturants all over the city , one is even named African Kitchen. There are also some Nigerian Ladies here that make good foods you can eat and feel at home.(for those who smoke weeds, ganja, anwuru, its legalised here) The HOTELS rates are a little higher in the center of the City but there are cheaper ones around. You can get some places for as low as 30 euro per night. Amsterdam is far more lively during the summertime (may to september). You can go sightseeing around the city with boats. The taxi is relatively cheap in the southern parts of the city where the black community is located. There are hundreds of black taxi drivers who can take you as far as five kilometers with just 2:50 cent. I welcome anybody who wishes to visit Amsterdam and will be of assistance to the best of my ability,

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by mukina2: 12:04pm On Apr 11, 2008
Banjul - The capital city of The Gambia, a small lovely Island and accessible by sea tongue it has one major bridge road going in and out and on all sides by either ferry or small fishing boats tongue
Peaceful, hot grin and lively .during the week, because all the arms of government have their offices at a place called the Quadrangle. All major offices and Banks have their head offices in Banjul.It is also a very busy area as people come from other areas of the Gambia, Senegal. Mauritania and other countries to buy goods.

There is several hotels in the capital, Lots of water sports, oyster fishing , salt manufacturing and the state central prison are all in the Capital tongue. most of the Major high schools and junior schools ar also right here tongue lots of restaurants., mini markets and fashion shops . You can get anything you want in the market.
, one night club we are holy grin we have small mosques at every nook and cranny of Banjul and only two major mosques, their are all 4 main churches and other small churches cheesy

During the weekends , the market areas are deserted grin but the housing area come to life . street parties grin, hunting parades, paddle and boys playing football competition, street by street grin. Girls dress up nicely and hang out with their pals. Old women stay indoors buring *churia* to keep the home warm tongue

Zero crime rate cool no over loading in taxis, buses and private cars cool
if you are caught direct to Mile 2 grin Electricity 24 hours a day, seven days a week cool

The Entrance .Arch 22 cool

Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital

The Beach cheesy

Central Mosque

Catholic Church

Indepencence Drive

Fana Market grin

aerial View

Hotels

Money!!!! grin

Banks

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by ituen(m): 1:10pm On Apr 11, 2008
Most of my time is spent offshore on a platform

Now we use helicopters as transport medium to the platform (usually called rigs). Wen we get there, we make a report to the transport/logistics officer of our arrival and we get what we need in order to get settled.

ON the platform, we usually have our accomodation, workspace, relaxation spots in place. The location is on the high seas (usually called deep offshore). The platform is supported on column(beams) which are driven straight into the ocean bed. Usually, the beams are made to be flexible so that it can respond to the movements caused by high tidal wavs of the ocean.

during the day, we work below decks and go for lunch breaks. After work, we retire for the day and also go for dinner. Then we also visit the relaxation spots for games like billards, table teniss etc.

Its fun there but its risky because when u look around you, your only friends are SHARKS!!!!!!!!

MORE TO COME LATER

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by smile4kenn(m): 5:20pm On Apr 11, 2008
Its one of the most populated cities in the world with large cultural diversity. Its a city u can easily make friends from all cultural background, For you to relate well, you must learn how to speak their language. They have free classes to learn their language. They have very few blacks around and when we see one of us, we just smile or maybe exchange contacts, Very low racism(eventhough Asia is know to have the highest amount of racism) Few people speak english, TVs, Radios, Newspapers are all on japanese language, Very few media media use english.

Its a lovely place, First world country, very developed, the only problem we have here is too much of technology, Everything has gone electronic, We live in electronic age here, sometimes i get confused because of high level of electronics and security systems,
Tokyo is Japan's largest domestic and international hub for rail, ground, and air transportation. Public transportation within Tokyo is dominated by an extensive network of clean and efficient trains and subways run by a variety of operators, with buses, monorails and trams playing a secondary feeder role.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by gilgee(m): 5:49pm On Apr 11, 2008
Mumbai is the economic and entertainment capital of India. With an estimated population of thirteen million, it is the most populous city in India. Mumbai is the home of Indian entertainment industry, known as BOLLYWOOD. Mumbai’s economic opportunities, tourist attractions and its high standard of living, attract tourists/visitors from all over the globe. Mumbai is a multicultural city. The climate of the city is friendly, thus easily adaptable to visitors.

Transportation is affordable and there is a standardized transportation network. It varies from taxis, auto rickshaws, ferries, railway and air. Development is fast -tracked in Mumbai, as the MUMBAI METRO (underground railway system) is under construction and will be completed in 2009.

There are affordable accommodations too. Varying from unrated guesthouses to 5 star luxurious hotels; all depending on one’s budget and taste.

There are different kinds of food in Mumbai. There is a copasetic selection of cuisines in Mumbai; from indigenous to intercontinental cuisines inclusive of our tasty Nigerian dishes, as there are Nigerian restaurants in the black dominated area of the city.

Social life is quite inviting, as Mumbai itself is a city of Night life!

To the tourists, Mumbai has various Tourist attractions included in the UNESCO world heritage sites. Viz: The Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Elephant caves, The gate of India,  the Churchgate Building, Nariman Point, Marine drive and an unending list of beaches, Spas and the ever thrilling Essel world(Water Kingdom) – a world class amusement park and Asia’s Largest water park; The Kalaghoda Festival “A festival of arts. It marks the exhibition of  a great masterpiece of art and artistic expertise” and many more.

This ancient city is a multi-religious haven. It peacefully habitats people of differing religious beliefs and practices.

Mumbai is also  home to some of the best educational institutions and reserahc centers in Asia.

Sports in Mumbai is mainly cricket dominated. Though there are open fields where football enthusiasts like myself could play and have fun freely, as there are teenagers always willing to partake in the lovely leather game.

And to the perverts, levels hard! Though there are foreigners always willing to mingle if you know what I mean. There are lots of Africans and South Americans for you canal minded people like semi-me. grin

What is left ooooo?
I’ll add more if need be.

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by gilgee(m): 5:56pm On Apr 11, 2008
No 1: Elephant caves

No 2: Gate of India

No 3: Marine Drive

No 4: Nehru Research center.

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by gilgee(m): 6:08pm On Apr 11, 2008
No 1: Cuffe Parade

No 2: The Chatrapati Shivaji terminus

No 3: Mumbai; A city business and fun.

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 12, 2008
i aint know some parts of india are cool men, i though its just wack.
ANyway i stay in aba, this shit is shit, the roads are bad, no light, it just pisses me off

4 Likes

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 12:24pm On Apr 13, 2008
Las Vegas the beautiful.

God bless you America! kiss  My life would have been severely trashed without you!  Thank you for hosting me and my family and for giving each and everyone a wonderful life! kiss

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Nobody: 3:09pm On Apr 13, 2008
almondjoy:

Las Vegas the beautiful.

God bless you America! kiss My life would have been severely trashed without you! Thank you for hosting me and my family and for giving each and everyone a wonderful life! kiss

God punish america for invading countries like afganistan and iraq. For making life miserable for people init.
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by ZUBY77(m): 12:00am On Apr 14, 2008
A historic city torn apart during the second world war, The only city in the world that hosted two countries as its capital.
Berlin is located in north eastern part of Germany.It has about five million people living in it .Its now the capital city of Germany. It was formally divided into two between Eastern and Western Germany.
Its the biggest city in Europe, has the biggest and most recent train station in the world, completed just before the 2006 world cup.Berlin has NINE underground train routes scattered in different directions,
The only city you don't have to wait for two minutes before your bus or train arrives.
Berlin has about Five major Train stations,
The LEHRTER BANHOF,
THE ZOOLOGISCHER GARTEN,
THE ALEXANDER PLATZ,
THE FRIEDRICH STRASSE AND
THE OST BANHOF .
It has two international airports.
.The schonefeld and Tegel.
The attraction center now is the newly developed Potsdamer platz, where all kinds of skyscrappers are pointed towards the sky, the planetorium, the opera house, the brandenburger tor, the berlin zoo and so many other attraction centers are places you wouldnt want to miss. There are uncountable numbers of afro shops where you can buy african products and food mateirials.
They are hotels and pensions where you can pay as low as 20 euro a night with breakfast.
Moving around berlin is easy because you can ask for directions on every undergroumd train station whis is about 200 meters apart in every direction. People here speak english but they would not want to let you know that. There are african resturants too especialyy in Neukoln area. There are Historic church buildings and museums you would want to visit.

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by abbey10(m): 2:41pm On Apr 14, 2008
Bigmodo,
God bless you for saying the truth!
Aba should be the dirtiest town in Nigeria,West Africa!

3 Likes

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by abbey10(m): 2:43pm On Apr 14, 2008
Germany is a very lovely place.
especially Idar Obestein,Frankfurt.
Good places.
Gambia, I wish i'm chanced to visit there soon.
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:12am On Apr 15, 2008
Ah-ah? Every body dey claim "abroad"? shocked How unpatriotic! angry

Where are the Nigerians and pictures of Ijesha and Olukwu junction? cheesy
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:27am On Apr 15, 2008
Beautiful overviews of the Las Vegas Strip at night. . .to die for! No where on earth like this! cool

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:30am On Apr 15, 2008
Beautiful water show at the "Bellagio"!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:33am On Apr 15, 2008
Welcome to fabulous Las Vegas! kiss Second to no other on earth!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:35am On Apr 15, 2008
Y'all come back now H'ear? kiss

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:38am On Apr 15, 2008
Las Vegas Urban development/modern ghetto! grin

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:42am On Apr 15, 2008
Go UNLV Rebels!!!!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:50am On Apr 15, 2008
For a more peaceful life. . .live among trees! cool

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:51am On Apr 15, 2008
Las Vegas the beautiful! cool

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 3:56am On Apr 15, 2008
Red Rock Canyon! kiss

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by SamMilla1(m): 11:38am On Apr 15, 2008
NICE PICTURES ALMONDJOY
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 1:10pm On Apr 15, 2008
Thank you Sam. smiley

@Mukina2

No be Lagos Taxis I see for one of your Banjul pictures so? grin

Is it a coincidence or. . . ?

he he he cheesy
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by babyx(f): 3:02pm On Apr 15, 2008
lol, Nairalanders which way?, u guys r sumtin else.
All these posts really show how creative u are, fire down!
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by babakura(m): 5:02pm On Apr 15, 2008
Australia is a great place to live in (my experience as a student with valid visa), With its massive land mass and a great economy fuelled by the resources boom from CHINIDIA, The east coast has the most of the activities in australia.(Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne)

An average aussie is laid back because they are not competing with anybody for anything because they are superpowers in their Asia -Pacific region. We've got winter , Spring n summer . Infrastructures are improving daily. We have a population of about 21 Million .The irony about australia is that it has 8 times the land mass of Nigeria while Nigeria has 7 times its population.

Favourite places to Visit
- Sydney Opera House
- Byron Bay (The most easterly point on the australian mainland)
- Hamilton Island
- Port Douglas
- Australia Zoo
- Dream World
- Gold Coast
- Eyre Peninsula
- Uluru
- Snowy Mountains , Thredbo
- Nimbin - for ganja lovin' ppl (the town in australia where ganja , cookies , hash-ish is allowed publicly , dont of others )
The list plenty die , na little e dis

Not much problem being black except for the refugees(sudanese, ethiopians) been brought into australia is causin' unease , because people feel they are collecting free stipend from centrelink (government agency that caters for people with disabilities or people on pension ), normal racial slurs are there ,

I think it aint bad a country to live in
I was born n bred in Ifako Agege (college road )until 2005 when I travelled to australia , It is still its old self n except for banks taking up buildings there has been no difference since , , I dey my agege right now, the untarred roads n Power Holders of Nigeria (PHCN) wey no dey give light but na generator.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by tjtj1(m): 5:59pm On Apr 15, 2008
>>>>>blank<<<<<<
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by babakura(m): 6:11pm On Apr 15, 2008
Pics from down under
Pic1 = Federation square in the heart of melbourne

Pic 2 = The sydney Opera House from an helicopter view , whenever u fly into australia thru sydney u must c this masterpiece

Pic 3 = Byron Bay (one of australia best beaches)
Hope u enjoy them as they are personal shots from me

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by gilgee(m): 6:24pm On Apr 15, 2008
@AJ

Those your posts no bad oo. Very solid!
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by omega25red(m): 7:03pm On Apr 15, 2008
New York
The big apple
I live in "The Bronx" which is about an hour or an hour and a half away from John F kennedy airport depending on traffic.
New york is a place you can come to and know that out of all the races in the world maybe about 1000 of them you would find 999 of them here. There is no shortage of diversity regarding food languages education cultures style violence etc

New york is the land of endless oppurtunities where you can walk down the street and think that everyone is angry at you because of their attitudes and the looks on their faces. We have two baseball teams Yankees and the Mets these two teams alone divides the whole state
We have a subway system (trains under ground) that spans through the whole city from the tip of the bronx all the way to the bottom of brroklyn we have ferries to staten island buses etc

Just a few words about New york

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Monthly Savings In Canada / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses / Offer Of Advice For Interest In Studying In Czech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.