Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,579 members, 7,820,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Tell Us About The City Where You Live - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tell Us About The City Where You Live (160642 Views)

Hilarious Photo All The Way From The City Of Warri / Tell Us The Best Places To Live In Nigeria And Why / FG Sites Green City Project In The City Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Teriba(m): 12:08pm On Apr 16, 2008
This is a nice thread started by SAM MILLA. The only advice I would like to give is that, we should avoid information that is not 100% accurate. I think I must have spent one or two days in Amsterdam, but I wouldn`t describe it as having more blacks than, say, some areas of London, or that blacks there have something special going for them. In fact, the entire population of Amsterdam is less than 1million while london has 6million. No doubt a great city by any standards of measurement, but definitely not the best refuge for blacks in Europe. Cheers!
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 2:18pm On Apr 16, 2008
Oh thanks gilgee! smiley

I love you pictures of Mumbia too. I wish Nigeria can have nice places like these.

Thank you very much for sharing. kiss
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by malaika(f): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2008
::
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Bossman(m): 3:59pm On Apr 16, 2008
Chicago is one of the largest cities in US. It's the 3rd largest city in the US, and is also considered the cleanest "big city" in the US. It also has a very diverse population. Just about every country is represented here. On the east of downtown is lake Michigan. It has a very dynamic downtown and excellent architecture. I actually live in the suburbs (about 50 miles from downtown), but commute downtown for work. There are lots of things to do in the city. Several African markets. We have at least 7 Nigerian restaurants. Of course, plenty Niger here.  It's a happening city with lots of things to do outdoors, especially in the summer. However, our winters can be brutal!

See wonderful pictures of the beautiful city here.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.flickr.com/122/265805232_be12df4b42_b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://stuckincustoms.com/category/travel/illinois/chicago/&h=97&w=150&sz=538&tbnid=xdxBwk5m2lAJ:&tbnh=97&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpictures%2Bof%2Bchicago&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=2
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by EloSela(f): 5:30pm On Apr 16, 2008
Good, bad, ugly, beautiful, old, trendy, modern, historic and magical, backward, new, decrepit, fun, boring, pretty, dirty, smog, fog, crime, religious, ghastly, sin city incorporated, dangerous, safe, crap, terrorism, cultural melting pot, crowded, money, mama Charlie, . . . .All these words and more can be used to describe this grand old city which is nearly 2000 years old. A city that was previously burnt to the ground, submerged in floods and bombed into oblivion, yet still manages to remain the centre of the earth, in spite of all. grin

One is sure to find an individual from every corner of God’s green earth here because everyone comes but some just never want to leave.

London – Capital of the World

I'll be back with some pics later. . .

Great thread Sam! cool

I am really enjoying the pics!
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by tjtj1(m): 5:44pm On Apr 16, 2008
Toronto is a major scene for theatre and other performing arts, with more than fifty ballet and dance companies, six opera companies, and two symphony orchestras. The city is home to the National Ballet of Canada, the Canadian Opera Company, and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. Notable performance venues include the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, Roy Thomson Hall, the Princess of Wales Theatre, the Royal Alexandra Theatre, Massey Hall, the Toronto Centre for the Arts, the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres and the Hummingbird Centre (formerly the "O'Keefe Centre"wink. Ontario Place features the world's first permanent IMAX movie theatre, the Cinesphere,[41] as well as the Molson Amphitheatre, an open-air venue for large-scale music concerts. Each summer, the Canadian Stage Company presents an outdoor Shakespeare production in Toronto’s High Park called "Dream in High Park". Canada's Walk of Fame acknowledges the achievements of successful Canadians, with of a series of stars on designated blocks of sidewalks along King Street and Simcoe Street.

The Distillery District is a pedestrian village containing boutiques, art galleries, restaurants, artist studios and small breweries, including the well-known Mill Street Brewery. A new theatre in the district, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, is the home of the Soulpepper Theatre Company and the drama productions of nearby George Brown College.

The production of domestic and foreign film and television is a major local industry. Many movie releases are screened in Toronto prior to wider release in North America. The Toronto International Film Festival is one of the most important annual events for the international film industry. Europe's largest film studio, Pinewood Studios Group of London, is scheduled to open a major new film studio complex in west-end Toronto, with five sound stages, with the first two to open by fall 2008.

Toronto's Caribana festival takes place from mid-July to early August of every summer, and is one of North America's largest street festivals.[42] For the most part, Caribana is based on the Trinidad and Tobago Carnival, and the first Caribana took place in 1967 when the city's Caribbean community celebrated Canada's Centennial year. 40 years later, it has grown to attract one million people to Toronto's Lake Shore Boulevard annually. Tourism for the festival is in the hundred thousands, and each year, the event brings in about $300 million.

Pride Week in Toronto takes place in mid-June, and is one of the largest LGBT festivals in the world. It attracts more than one million people from around the world, and is one of the largest events to take place in the city. Toronto is a major centre for gay and lesbian culture and entertainment, and the gay village is located in the Church and Wellesley area of Downtown.

Toronto Eaton Centre, the largest shopping mall in the City of Toronto
Tourism

Greektown brightens Christmas and Winter at Alexander the Great parkMain article: Attractions in Toronto
See also: Buildings and structures in Toronto
Toronto is currently ranked 14th in the world with over 4 million tourist arrivals a year [43]. Toronto's most prominent landmark is the CN Tower, which stood as the tallest free-standing land structure in the world at 553 metres (1,815 ft). To the surprise of its creators, the tower held the world record for over 30 years.[44]

The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is a major museum for world culture and natural history. The Toronto Zoo, one of the largest in the world,[45][46] is home to over 5,000 animals representing over 460 distinct species. The Art Gallery of Ontario contains a large collection of Canadian, European, African and contemporary artwork. The Gardiner Museum of ceramic art which is the only museum in Canada entirely devoted to ceramics and the Museum's collection contains more than 2,900 ceramic works from Asia, the Americas, and Europe. The Ontario Science Centre always has new hands-on activities and science displays particularly appealing to children, and the Bata Shoe Museum also features many unique exhibitions. The Don Valley Brick Works is a former industrial site, which opened in 1889, and has recently been restored as a park and heritage site. The Canadian National Exhibition is held annually at Exhibition Place, and it is the oldest annual fair in the world. It is Canada's largest annual fair and the fifth largest in North America, with an average attendance of 1.25 million.[47]

The Yorkville neighbourhood is one of Toronto's most elegant shopping and dining areas. On many occasions, celebrities from all over North America can be spotted in the area, especially during the Toronto International Film Festival. The Toronto Eaton Centre is one of North America's top shopping destinations, and Toronto's most popular tourist attraction with over 52 million visitors annually.[48]

Greektown on the Danforth, is another one of the major attractions of Toronto which boasts one of the highest concentrations of restaurants per kilometre in the world. It is also home to the annual "Taste of the Danforth" festival which attracts over one million people in 2 1/2 days.[49] Toronto is also home to Canada's most famous "castle" - Casa Loma, the former estate of Sir Henry Pellatt, a prominent Toronto financier, industrialist and military man. Other notable neighbourhoods and attractions include The Beaches, the Toronto Islands, Kensington Market, Fort York, and the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Sports
Main articles: Professional sport in Toronto, Amateur sport in Toronto, and List of sports teams in Toronto

The Hockey Hall of Fame, housed in a former bank erected in 1885, is located at the intersection of Front Street and Yonge Street in Downtown Toronto.Toronto is home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, one of the National Hockey League's Original Six clubs. The city has also served as home to the Hockey Hall of Fame since 1958. The city has a rich history of hockey championships. Along with Toronto's 14 Stanley Cup titles, The Toronto Marlboros and St. Michael's College School based Ontario Hockey League teams combined have won a record 12 Memorial Cup titles. The Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League also play in Toronto at Ricoh Coliseum and are the farm team for the Maple Leafs. They are one of only two teams who are in the same market as their NHL affiliate (the other is the Philadelphia Phantoms, the AHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers).

Toronto is the only Canadian city with representation in six major league sports through National Hockey League, Major League Baseball, National Lacrosse League, National Basketball Association, Canadian Football League and Major League Soccer teams. The major sports complexes include the Air Canada Centre, Rogers Centre (formerly known as SkyDome), Ricoh Coliseum and BMO Field.

The city is represented in the Canadian Football League by the Toronto Argonauts who have won 15 Grey Cup titles. Toronto played host to the 95th Grey Cup in 2007, the first held in the city since 1992. The city is also home to Major League Baseball's Toronto Blue Jays who have won two World Series titles. Both teams play their home games at the Rogers Centre, in the downtown core.

Toronto is home to the International Bowl, an NCAA sanctioned post-season football game that puts a Mid-American Conference team against a Big East Conference team. Beginning in 2007, the game is played at the Rogers Centre annually in January. In addition to team sports, the city annually hosted Champ Car's Steelback Grand Prix of Toronto (formerly known as Molson Indy Toronto) at Exhibition Place, from 1986 to 2007. Both thoroughbred and standardbred horseracing are conducted at Woodbine Race Track in Rexdale.

Historic sports clubs of Toronto include the Granite Club (est. 1836), the Royal Canadian Yacht Club (est. 1852), the Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club (est. pre-1827), the Argonaut Rowing Club (est. 1872), the Toronto Lawn Tennis Club (est. 1881), and the Badminton and Racquet Club (est. 1924).

Toronto was a candidate city for the 1996 and 2008 Summer Olympics, which were awarded to Atlanta and Beijing respectively. The Canadian Olympic Committee is currently considering a Toronto bid for the 2020 or 2024 Summer Olympics.[50]

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 9:39pm On Apr 16, 2008
Beautiful Las Vegas Blvd!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 10:06pm On Apr 16, 2008
Pictures of the "Gondoliers"! For lovers. . .the greatest of rides! You never want to get off!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 10:08pm On Apr 16, 2008
Day time Las Vegas! cool Heaven on earth!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 10:17pm On Apr 16, 2008
"ToroWeap"-----------------------------------Visit the Grand Canyon for a break away from Vegas!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 10:20pm On Apr 16, 2008
Boating in the "Grand Canyon" Peaceful communion with Nature. A truly blissfull experience! cool God Bless Nevada!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Imani(f): 10:27pm On Apr 16, 2008
almodjoy,

what is all the selotape you are using to cover your pretty face?  shocked

who are you hiding from, or you think a nairalander will "charm" your picture lipsrsealed

Back to Topic,

I live in London, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, great transportation links, fantastic history and very diverse. It has a bit of every thing. Will try to post pictures when I can.
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by jaybee3(m): 10:27pm On Apr 16, 2008
@Almondjoy
Do you have a pic of the hoover dam (one of the greatest engineering feet in the world). Great history behind it (enuff peeps lost their life from heat exhaustion, round the clock working hours etc building that dam)
I was privileged enuff to pass through the dam last year as me and some friends drove from phoenix to vegas for a bach' eve.
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 10:27pm On Apr 16, 2008
Visit the "Hoover Dam" and the "Lake Mead" outside Las Vegas in the State of Nevada!

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by mukina2: 10:29pm On Apr 16, 2008
@ AJ

i think its the same colour all over West Africa o grin its ECOWAS grin
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 10:37pm On Apr 16, 2008
Imani:

almodjoy,

what is all the selotape you are using to cover your pretty face?  shocked

who are you hiding from, or you think a nairalander will "charm" your picture lipsrsealed

Back to Topic,

I live in London, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, great transportation links, fantastic history and very diverse. It has a bit of every thing. Will try to post pictures when I can.

he he he he!  You no know say. . .Nairalanders dey do juju and love portion with people fotos? cheesy  Yes show us pictures of "beautiful Lagos London"!

jay bee:

@Almondjoy
Do you have a pic of the hoover dam (one of the greatest engineering feet in the world). Great history behind it (enough peeps lost their life from heat exhaustion, round the clock working hours etc building that dam)
I was privileged enough to pass through the dam last year as me and some friends drove from phoenix to vegas for a bach' eve.

You only passed through? shocked  You need to get inside. . . you will shed tears after reading the history of all who died to build that dam.  Especially blacks"!  Infact. . . I am always in awe of the place.  I went 300 feet under with an elevetor that took only 60 seconds to get there without even realizing I was moving.  The place is awesome.  Enjoy the picture above.  You never appreciate the pictures till you really get there.  I am amazed! smiley Yes, please share your pictures.

mukina2:

@ AJ

Na real "Ecowas"!  Like Lagos taxi!
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by SamMilla1(m): 10:38pm On Apr 16, 2008
mukina2:

@ AJ

you are right there  smiley cool
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Imani(f): 10:44pm On Apr 16, 2008
AJ,

How dare you call London "Lagos". What an insult angry. I demand an apology.

Lagos is not too bad sha grin, if you live in the right side of town, not just on the island. And i don't mean Obalende or those kirikiri areas lipsrsealed
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 12:58am On Apr 17, 2008
Imani:

AJ,

How dare you call London "Lagos". What an insult angry. I demand an apology.

Lagos is not too bad sha grin, if you live in the right side of town, not just on the island. And i don't mean Obalende or those kirikiri areas lipsrsealed

Sorry ma! cheesy I would believe you if you showed me pictures of the so-called non-Obalende/kirikiri looking areas. Sometimes I can't tell the difference. tongue

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 1:08am On Apr 17, 2008
Any pictures of Nigeria? tongue

Awon dorty! grin
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by tictac(m): 3:28pm On Apr 17, 2008
London, England.

I love the UK! - This country needs no introduction. Geographically small compared to many countries yet gave independence to many nations e.g United States. Relatively strong currency, low unemployment and good social welfare system, world class premiership football league, their language (first global lingua franca) is extensively spoken around the world! Need I say more?

Some land marks in pictures;

London Eye:

London Museum

Gherkin - World Class Architecture on display:

The Famous BIG BEN:

Tower Bridge:

Trafalgar Square:

City Hall: (Onikan?)

London Cabs:

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by EloSela(f): 5:44pm On Apr 17, 2008
Great pics titac

Here are a few more. . .

The first is a sketch of the world famous Oxford Street by one my favourite artists, Steven Wiltshire, who is also known as the Human Camera. Stephen is autistic and is the only known art savant in the world, born in London to West Indian parents. He is able to view a location just once and then sketch it in record time from memory. If you would like to see more of his paintings then Google 'Stephen Wiltshire' to view his gallery online. Simply amazing! grin

General London scene

3. Millennium bridge

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by gilgee(m): 6:49pm On Apr 17, 2008
Thanks to you too for sharing dearie. And yea welcome! kiss

Seun make you add smiley for hug na.
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by ikamefa(f): 7:04pm On Apr 17, 2008
" grin " jaipur india in pixs enjoy

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by EloSela(f): 10:49pm On Apr 17, 2008
1. Westminster Abbey
2. Marble Arch

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by EloSela(f): 11:18pm On Apr 17, 2008
London

Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by EloSela(f): 11:38pm On Apr 17, 2008
;
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by gilgee(m): 10:10am On Apr 18, 2008
@Ika
Heard Jaipur is a very beautiful city but I never enter am before.
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Ezinwannem: 3:46pm On Apr 18, 2008
@tj_tj, good job. I wanted to write about Toronto. you did a good job though you touched mainly on entertainment. I would write more generally later. b/w, Eaton centre is like the 3rd largest mall in Canada. the 1st is Vaughan Mills at the city of Vaughan by Wonderland, 2nd is Square One @Mississauga den before Eaton centre. Yorkdale might even be bigger than Eaton. good job though
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by Imani(f): 10:45pm On Apr 18, 2008
where are the pictures of Nigerian cities? Abi are they not nice and clean enough to be posted on the net? shocked

I know Calabar is a clean town. Please Nigerians in Nigeria, post your pictures. I want to feel "homesick" lipsrsealed
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by almondjoy(f): 12:53am On Apr 19, 2008
Imani:

where are the pictures of Nigerian cities? Abi are they not nice and clean enough to be posted on the net? shocked

I know Calabar is a clean town. Please Nigerians in Nigeria, post your pictures. I want to feel "homesick" lipsrsealed

For where? grin You will not only feel homesick. . .you will feel "home death"!

Besides some parts of Lagos and like 1200 square feet of Abuja. . .the rest places no electricity, no inner or outer plumbing! Dirty giant of Africa! cheesy
Re: Tell Us About The City Where You Live by ztyle(m): 12:15pm On Apr 19, 2008
Monrovia,-  The capital city of Liberia,West Africa "Sweet Land of Liberty" & The Love of Liberty Bring Us here  wink
Thats where i live, as a Liberian/Nigerian i'm using this medium to show you the beautiful places in my home monrovia,

Monrovia - lies on a peninsula, between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mesurado River and is a major port. The Saint Paul River lies directly North of the city. Monrovia is located at 6°19′N, 10°48′W. Monrovia is Liberia's largest city and its administrative, commercial and financial centre.

The City is located in Montserrado County; it is not the capital of Montserrado County.

Check This Out, Enjoy  cool

Arrival from the ROBERT AIRPORT

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses / My Monthly Savings In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.