Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,940 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Feminism. Ay Or nay? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Feminism. Ay Or nay? (2503 Views)

Public Display Of Affection (pda),yay Or Nay? / Yay Or Nay? Bridesmaids Flashing Their Butts In Wedding Photos / 7 Ways Feminism Is Destroying American Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism. Ay Or nay? by gohome: 3:20pm On Apr 24, 2013
Feminism. Ay or Nay?

Feminism.

A dirty word in some circles. When I hear the word, I think of fiery black women with dreadlocks or white women in badly fitting suits. Don’t ask me where these images come from; I don’t know. I do want to know: what’s all the fuss about?

I am a Nigerian woman. I am educated. I hold a job that pays me the same as my male colleagues. I voted in the last election. I can drive. I can own property… Now that I think about it, what exactly does being female forbid me from?

I can’t be out by myself late at night. Common sense. I could be robbed and/or raped. But that isn’t feminism’s war. That’s a function of security. A guy would be vulnerable too. Well, being female puts you at a disadvantage in the corporate world, some say. You can’t be a top-level executive. And they have stats to prove it. I’ll get back to that in a bit.

There are societal norms about how I should interact in society as a woman. But I think that those norms are shaped by the family I grew up in. I was told I was intelligent. Not relative to a boy. Intelligent in my right. The world was my oyster, the sky my limit, my life was charmed. My future was placed before me in pragmatic terms. I could be a career woman like my mother, keep a store close to home like both my grandmothers or be a housewife like many of my cousins. Each was a valid option and growing up, I was exposed to the pros and cons of each.

And this is the thing. A woman should have choices. We may not always agree with those choices (to stay with an abusive husband, to never marry, to take up a job, to become a housewife, to drop out of school) but they’re hers.

I was taught to respect men, to honour the man I would eventually marry. I like to think that my future husband was taught to respect women, like my brother was taught, like my sons will be. But I was also taught to pay for my drink. To be content with what I had. To earn my money without selling my dignity.

Society didn’t teach me this. Family did.

Yesterday, I took a male friend out to dinner. I called the waitress over. I requested the menu. I ordered. And when we were done, I requested the bill. When she got to our table, the waitress made to give it to him. I stretched out my hand to take it. She ignored me, and still pushed it to him. He smiled and handed it to me. The look on her face as I counted out the money from my wallet was priceless. Was I offended? No. Amused, more like. And frankly, I considered it too small to hold a grudge. I don’t blame society, I understand that it’s a function of her family and upbringing.

And then, there are bars/restaurants/clubs who refuse entry to unaccompanied women. On one hand, I find it amusing that a public establishment would seek to make moral choices for its patrons. On the other hand, I would boycott such an establishment. If you don’t want my custom, why would I force it on you? My own money? But I also think that this is a petty battle, and one I wouldn’t waste effort on.

What battles would I be interested in? Poverty alleviation. I hear of families that send only their sons to school because they think their daughters could do no better than to marry well. But often, these families can’t afford to send everyone and so they have to make a choice the best they know how. But what if they could afford to send them both? Would they still refuse? I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. And so our battle should be getting them across the poverty line. I know a mother who runs a small kiosk to support her family. Getting a bank loan to expand her business would be difficult. But that’s not because she’s female. Her husband is a vulcanizer (Nigerian term for a person who fixes tyres), and I daresay getting a loan would be difficult for him as well. It’s not really a gender problem, but one of class distinction.

Gender equality battles aren’t complete if we don’t fight for men’s rights, as well. Does this sound odd?

Back to the corporate arena. I overheard female colleagues complain that we aren’t well represented in our company’s leadership. They insist that D & I should be brought to bear. I differ. Leadership should be given to the most capable, not shared between the genders. If I want to be manager (as a male or a female), I have to work harder and longer than my peers to develop the right competencies faster. That’s easier when I’m unencumbered by family commitments. However, if after getting those competencies, I was turned down and the job given to a less competent male, then I would cry foul.

If I have a family, it gets harder. Some jobs are inherently incompatible with raising a family. With a family, I simply will not have enough time to develop those competencies faster than my peers. As a parent, I have a responsibility to raise my child. I can’t balance this with working long hours unless I have a very supportive husband. Let’s say he supports me 100% and he’s willing to take responsibility for our child. If he’s a house-husband, this is easy. But house-husbands aren’t common. Men have not been wired by their families to be house-husbands. So he has a job. Will his job let him close at 3.30 to pick our child from school? Will his job allow him take the afternoon off to take our child to hospital? Or his school’s soccer game? No. Women get those breaks in some companies, men hardly ever. And so this is what I think should be feminism’s cause. Flexible working hours for both sexes, so that each spouse can choose to support the other. Not just women, but men too. My husband should get paternity leave as long as mine so that if I choose to return to work a week postpartum, he can stay home to care for our infant. Amen?

There is the aside that even with these perks, some men would not support their wives’ ambitions. A shame, but that’s all it is. Society (or a movement) cannot force a man to support his wife, it’s a personal choice. The same way it’s a wife’s personal choice to support her husband.

But don’t hand me a promotion because it’s the politically correct thing to do. It’s an insult to my intelligence, and tells me I wouldn’t have been good enough otherwise.

I fear I may have gone off on a tangent. So back to my original question? What’s all the fuss about feminism? Honestly, I’m interested in hearing a feminist’s or anti-feminist’s thoughts.
http://eurekanaija./2013/04/19/feminism/

2 Likes

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Claus(m): 5:38pm On Apr 24, 2013
Still clapping!!!

The most balanced and objective view on feminisim and the changing roles of the sexes that I've ever read.

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wonderful! Wonderful!
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 24, 2013
[size=13pt]It is clear that feminists of the 20th century and feminists of today are a different species. I, too, can vote, can work amongst men, get paid the same as men, can drive, etc. A fight still remains, but it has changed.

Let me start off by saying two things:

1. I agree with most, if not everything that was written.
2. I'm not a feminist.

Now, about this fight, or fuss as you said. Women's issues took hold of the 2012 elections here in the US, which was shocking to me. I thought that ship had sailed, only for it to be front and center once again. The issue stems from stereotypes, but the reason why feminism is alive once again is because some of the people who hold these stereotypes are powerful people (mostly men), who happen to be lawmakers and/or influential ($$$$).

Some politicians believe a woman's reproductive system shuts down when it's being molested, so conception is impossible. Some politicians have tried to redefine the term "rape". Some politicians blame women who don't close their legs for high pre-marital sex/birth rates, as if it doesn't take two to tango. Some have targeted women's reproductive health clinics, such as Planned Parenthood, in hopes of eliminating state and federal funding to the organization that is the nation's largest reproductive health provider. Women who are pro-birth control have been labeled sluts and prostitutes by politicians and others with influence. Some states in the US, most recently North Dakota, have closed the window for a woman to have an abortion to as low as six weeks, when most women don't even know they're pregnant until well after six weeks.

When I was hearing one foolish comment after another by men who hold seats in Washington, I definitely had a rethink. I definitely started putting things in perspective as it certainly pertains to me, especially as an African American, who is already stereotyped as a baby-mama or illiterate.

I'm glad you said "a woman should have choices". Luckily, I live somewhere that is relatively free and allows me to make my own decisions. A lot of women in various states, as well as various parts of the world, don't have that freedom. In 2013, it's unfair that old men in Washington are trying to dictate what women can and can't do with their bodies.

Men and women have their fair shares of issues. I don't think anyone can successfully dispute that. It's just that when women's rights and issues are being questioned yet again, you begin to wonder if people learned anything from the various movements in the 20th century.

Again, I'm not a feminist, but I won't turn my back on their movement, and this is one of the biggest reasons why. I'm sure there are various types of women fighting for various causes, especially in the Middle East. I don't like blanket terms or phrases though. I formulate opinions on a case-to-case basis, which is why I won't call myself pro-feminism or anti-feminism.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
@Ogugua, you have good points. But also note that today's feminism is about being "the loudest in the room."
And as for those lawmakers, they're both right and wrong. I'd agree with them giving the major blame of unwanted pregnancies on women, because while it takes two to tango, it's the woman's body that serves as "baby factory"(please indulge me), it should be primarily her responsibility to control birth.
And then again, lawmakers aren't perfect, men complain of divorce laws.
Still, each gender should pursue their interests with fairness and consideration.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
fresh_dude: @Ogugua, you have good points. But also note that today's feminism is about being "the loudest in the room."
And as for those lawmakers, they're both right and wrong. I'd agree with them giving the major blame of unwanted pregnancies on women, because while it takes two to tango, it's the woman's body that serves as "baby factory"(please indulge me), it should be primarily her responsibility to control birth.
And then again, lawmakers aren't perfect, men complain of divorce laws.
Still, each gender should pursue their interests with fairness and consideration.

[size=13pt]That's why I said it depends on what's being discussed. Some feminists are loud and for no reason. Others have very valid points.

They don't want women to have any choices on reproduction. They want to deny them access to all family planning options, even when sexual molestation is the case. They want women to have unwanted children... and then they're also against welfare and government assistance. It can't work that way. And keep in mind that a lot of these lawmakers are adulterous, so their attempt at preservation of morality as some would wish to call it is already in question.

For the issue that the OP raised, she's really spot on. Feminism encompasses so much that one really can't be entirely for it or entirely against it though.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by tpia5: 6:48pm On Apr 24, 2013
feminism works for white, or western women because their laws and culture supports it.

for a black, african woman, not so much.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by zibe(m): 7:06pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wow! This is way very objective, coming from a woman. So loving this post.; and I love the part about men having paternity leave Wow! This is way very objective, coming from a woman. So loving this post.; and I love the part about men having paternity leave grin obviously the Feminism cause has been way VERY one-sided.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 24, 2013
[size=13pt]The truth is that men don't fight for their own rights. They're usually on top in society, so I guess they don't make their own demands even when they need to. Plus, going back to stereotypes, men are conditioned not to complain and to "be like a man" and "suck it up".[/size]

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Popowaa: 7:17pm On Apr 24, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]It is clear that feminists of the 20th century and feminists of today are a different species. I, too, can vote, can work amongst men, get paid the same as men, can drive, etc. A fight still remains, but it has changed.

2. I'm not a feminist.

Now, about this fight, or fuss as you said. Women's issues took hold of the 2012 elections here in the US, which was shocking to me. I thought that ship had sailed, only for it to be front and center once again. The issue stems from stereotypes, but the reason why feminism is alive once again is because some of the people who hold these stereotypes are powerful people (mostly men), who happen to be lawmakers and/or influential ($$$$).

Some politicians believe a woman's reproductive system shuts down when it's being molested, so conception is impossible. Some politicians have tried to redefine the term "rape". Some politicians blame women who don't close their legs for high pre-marital sex/birth rates, as if it doesn't take two to tango. Some have targeted women's reproductive health clinics, such as Planned Parenthood, in hopes of eliminating state and federal funding to the organization that is the nation's largest reproductive health provider. Women who are pro-birth control have been labeled sluts and prostitutes by politicians and others with influence. Some states in the US, most recently North Dakota, have closed the window for a woman to have an abortion to as low as six weeks, when most women don't even know they're pregnant until well after six weeks.

When I was hearing one foolish comment after another by men who hold seats in Washington, I definitely had a rethink. I definitely started putting things in perspective as it certainly pertains to me, especially as an African American, who is already stereotyped as a baby-mama or illiterate.

I'm glad you said "a woman should have choices". Luckily, I live somewhere that is relatively free and allows me to make my own decisions. A lot of women in various states, as well as various parts of the world, don't have that freedom. In 2013, it's unfair that old men in Washington are trying to dictate what women can and can't do with their bodies.

Men and women have their fair shares of issues. I don't think anyone can successfully dispute that. It's just that when women's rights and issues are being questioned yet again, you begin to wonder if people learned anything from the various movements in the 20th century.

Again, I'm not a feminist, but I won't turn my back on their movement, and this is one of the biggest reasons why. I'm sure there are various types of women fighting for various causes, especially in the Middle East. I don't like blanket terms or phrases though. I formulate opinions on a case-to-case basis, which is why I won't call myself pro-feminism or anti-feminism.[/size]
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Apr 24, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]That's why I said it depends on what's being discussed. Some feminists are loud and for no reason. Others have very valid points.

They don't want women to have any choices on reproduction. They want to deny them access to all family planning options, even when sexual molestation is the case. They want women to have unwanted children... and then they're also against welfare and government assistance. It can't work that way. And keep in mind that a lot of these lawmakers are adulterous, so their attempt at preservation of morality as some would wish to call it is already in question.

For the issue that the OP raised, she's really spot on. Feminism encompasses so much that one really can't be entirely for it or entirely against it though.[/size]
Oh, I now see where you're coming from. You're so on point.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by tpia5: 7:27pm On Apr 24, 2013
The truth is that men don't fight for their own rights. They're usually on top in society, so I guess they don't make their own demands even when they need to. Plus, going back to stereotypes, men are conditioned not to complain and to "be like a man" and "suck it up".

men fight for racial, not male, rights.

and yes, they usually have the upper hand in most societies, so they dont have to fight for gender based rights per se.

their focus is on the racial/national/ethnic issues more than gender ones.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by troy20(m): 7:36pm On Apr 24, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]It is clear that feminists of the 20th century and feminists of today are a different species. I, too, can vote, can work amongst men, get paid the same as men, can drive, etc. A fight still remains, but it has changed.

2. I'm not a feminist.

u r a feminist.u just cant help wat u r.just admit pls
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
I'll come back to make this thread fun, I don't HV time for epistles right now
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by its22078: 11:00pm On Apr 24, 2013
i dont understand why theres this whole debate about feminism and how feminists are loud, manly women who hate men. The definition of a feminist is simply a person who believes that men and women have equal rights. Someone who is against the oppression of women such as rape, domestic violence, someone who believes that women should receive equal pay for the same job, someone who believes women should hvae the right to vote or have an education etc. Any decent minded person, male or female should be a feminist!

2 Likes

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
Balance is key.

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by zibe(m): 11:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
Yield: Balance is key.

Exactly.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by 190: 11:30pm On Apr 24, 2013
who the heck is gna read all those Jangban jastics listed up there

someone break it down for me, let me get the scope

i cant read and get headache abeg this nor be exam
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 5:22am On Apr 25, 2013

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by troy20(m): 7:57am On Apr 25, 2013
Raggedy_Ann: I'm also a Nigerian woman. Educated, employed, vote and drive. I own property and I'm free to make my own decisions regarding whom and when or even whether to marry. I have parents who understood that they would not be wasting their resources by giving me an education, girls are admissible in all Nigerian Universities, and women are at liberty to hold public offices.

What's the fuss? I'm not a feminist, and I do not have to be because (like the poster said) I'm not shut out of anything for being a woman.

But the world did not always look like this for women. There was a time when women weren't allowed to vote, a time when education was considered too much of a physical burden for women, a time when a woman`s opinion didn't matter whatever the issue. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the feminist movements began in reaction to female subdugation - they addressed these issues (suffrage, equal opportunities in education and employment, reproductive rights, contract rights, property rights, etc) that have led to female emancipation.

What's the fuss about feminism now when we are emancipated women? I am not a feminist and I don't have to be thanks to the women who wore that label to change the world for me - Elizabeth Stanton, Suzanne Anthony, Simone de Bouvoir amongst others, women who should be commended for their courage and vision.

That we now explore the options that are open to us does not make us feminists, it just proves that we are emancipated - we choose because we can. If I choose a career over a husband I'm no more emancipated than the woman who chooses a husband over a career. We have both exercised our freedom to choose.

Another feminist movement would arguably be redundant in this country, so -nay!
y r u women running away 4rm admittn it.is it dt bad?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 25, 2013
troy20:
y r u women running away 4rm admittn it.is it dt bad?

No it isn't. We aren't qualified to call ourselves feminists if we don't propagate feminists theories and liberate women. It would be disrespectful to the women who were and still are members of the movement. We are beneficiaries.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by troy20(m): 8:47am On Apr 25, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

No it isn't. We aren't qualified to call ourselves feminists if we don't propagate feminists theories and liberate women. It would be disrespectful to the women who were and still are members of the movement. We are beneficiaries.
realy? Cause being a beneficiary is more secure.u dnt want 2 be tagged.wat makes u tink dt u hav 2 carry a placard 2 b known as one or probably hav it pinned 2 ur chest.ur comments n attitude simply givs u away.dnt u know? feminism is growing.alota women r feminist bt wud neva admit 2 b one.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 25, 2013
troy20:
realy? Cause being a beneficiary is more secure.u dnt want 2 be tagged.wat makes u tink dt u hav 2 carry a placard 2 b known as one or probably hav it pinned 2 ur chest.ur comments n attitude simply givs u away.dnt u know? feminism is growing.alota women r feminist bt wud neva admit 2 b one.

I think you're right - I might be a feminist according to this here.

FEMINIST: a person whose behaviour and beliefs are based on feminsim/ a person who advocates equal rights for women. (American Heritage dictionary of the english language 4th ed)

I believe women should have equal rights as men to vote, get educated, apply for jobs, etc. These are all feminist beliefs so I guess that makes me one too. Busted!

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by sKeetz(m): 10:26am On Apr 25, 2013
Dunno hw you guys afford the time to compose this long boring epistles.

It doesn't just work for me, nw tell me: where do I start in reading all these

I thought everyone was taught summary bck in high school..heck, I was wrong! angry
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Kgdavid(m): 1:52pm On Apr 25, 2013
sKeetz: Dunno hw you guys afford the time to compose this long boring epistles.

It doesn't just work for me, nw tell me: where do I starting reading all these

I thought everyone was taught summary bck in high school..heck, I was wrong! angry

no you are right we were all taught "summary" back in school just like you were but we were also taught composition and more importantly, comprehension. what about you?
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Kgdavid(m): 2:57pm On Apr 25, 2013
the central issue of feminism and indeed most other forms of rights activism is the perception of equality. the application of the adage' "whats good for the goose is good for the gander". on surface this sounds logical, rational and natural but then the question i ask is this: why then do we have a goose and a gander rather than a race of geese or ganders? the truth is that whats good for the goose may not always be good for the gander however this does not imply inequality. we as a specie have been built to play different roles in ensuring our collective survival but the agenda od equality threatens the stability of society.

@ Ogugua i disgree with you wen you talk about the issue of abortion and women having the right to do what they want with their bodies. the question is, is an unborn baby a part of its mothers body?? if you say it is then the debate opens up to a whole new dimension, just how responsible should parents be for their children? why are fathers required by law to provide welfare for their kids? responsibility towards children must not only begin once they have been delivered. it must begin from inception and does not only stop at abortion prevention but goes must include the prevention of harmful behaviors such as drinking and smokin in the mother prior to delivery. our rights end where another's begin and therefore you lose the right to do what you want to do with your body when you make the decision to engage in behavior that is by nature designed to produce another life. your right to do wat yu want with your body ends at the point where the right to life begins for your precious baby.

but how do we deal with the issue of legitimately unwanted pregnancies i.e rape? abortion is not the key. i strongly recommend that the state take responsibility for proven cases of abortion, support the mother and if after delivery she still chooses to reject the helpless baby then the state should take up full responsibility for the child.

going back to the issue of doing what you want with your body i again ask a question: should suicide be legalized? if you do not have the right to kill yourself then what right do you have to kill something...someone that is only partially part of you?

1 Like

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Exponental(m): 3:44pm On Apr 25, 2013
Chop banana till u go yoooo.
Women shldnt let this facts affect their thinking. By nature, they have enough burden to carry.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by MrsChima(f): 3:45pm On Apr 25, 2013
tpia@:
feminism works for white, or western women because their laws and culture supports it.

for a black, african woman, not so much.

I agree.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Yvete(f): 4:59pm On Apr 25, 2013
Lovin' this brilliant article!

Like some women, I'm not comfortable with the terms 'feminist" and "feminism" because it easily translates into anti-male or man-hater, and being 100% submissive to Mr. XYZ, I don't identify with that. So what are catchy words to replace those? -- Strong woman, driven, great mum with a mind of her own? I guess!

As women, we strive to find a balance between 'home-maker' and 'woman-in-the-suit'. What makes this all so sweet is having a real man as a leader. One that understands your vision as person. My thoughts are deep. I'm a woman with strong presence and personality. Often times, it could make some boyz uneasy, but men wouldn't. Last week, I jokingly told Mr. XYZ that I'd love to be a stay-home mum, exercise and watch TV all day, and he said "Naa ... It won't fit you!" grin In other words, Yay to the article ...

Ogugua88: You're an intelligent young lady though I've got issues with your eyebrows. cool I see you in a position of leadership.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by gohome: 8:53pm On Apr 25, 2013
‘Humanism over Feminism’ is what I like to say. I believe the word “Feminist” in itself defeats its perceived purpose of gender “equality”. I think Feminism’s battle has already been won in the past: women can now vote, drive cars, go to school, hold public offices etc. What we need to concentrate on now is Humanism, not Feminism. Modern “Feminism” to me is just a joke. Especially in developed nations in Europe and America, where some women are beginning to raise the bar for gender “equality” pretty high up (take the case of feminists in Sweden for example).
I also believe that this idea of gender “equality” is a little far-fetched. Male and Female were never created equal. I’m not saying one gender is more equal than the other; they are just not equal, that’s all. It is sensible that we expect men and women to have similar rights for issues like voting, education, healthcare, employment and the like, but there are some areas that should just be left the way they are because they follow the natural flow of the universe. It is a known fact, for example, that men are physically much more stronger than women. I don’t have the stats, but I believe women on the other hand emotionally and mentally stronger. So when feminists in the US start to promote the inclusion of more women, for combat jobs, in the US Army, I can’t help but think that they must have too much time on their hands.
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by ektbear: 9:44am On Apr 26, 2013
Nay
Re: Feminism. Ay Or nay? by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 26, 2013
Yvete: Ogugua88: You're an intelligent young lady though I've got issues with your eyebrows. cool I see you in a position of leadership (Not a prophetess).

[size=13pt]Lmao. Thanks. I love my eyebrows so tongue[/size]

Kgdavid: @ Ogugua i disgree with you wen you talk about the issue of abortion and women having the right to do what they want with their bodies. the question is, is an unborn baby a part of its mothers body?? if you say it is then the debate opens up to a whole new dimension, just how responsible should parents be for their children? why are fathers required by law to provide welfare for their kids? responsibility towards children must not only begin once they have been delivered. it must begin from inception and does not only stop at abortion prevention but goes must include the prevention of harmful behaviors such as drinking and smoking in the mother prior to delivery. our rights end where another's begin and therefore you lose the right to do what you want to do with your body when you make the decision to engage in behavior that is by nature designed to produce another life. your right to do wat yu want with your body ends at the point where the right to life begins for your precious baby.

but how do we deal with the issue of legitimately unwanted pregnancies i.e rape? abortion is not the key. i strongly recommend that the state take responsibility for proven cases of abortion, support the mother and if after delivery she still chooses to reject the helpless baby then the state should take up full responsibility for the child.

going back to the issue of doing what you want with your body i again ask a question: should suicide be legalized? if you do not have the right to kill yourself then what right do you have to kill something...someone that is only partially part of you?

[size=13pt]The answer is yes. A fetus grows inside a host (mother). A fetus can only survive with a (mostly) healthy mother. Why is it that obese women deliver obese babies who may suffer gestational diabetes? Why do alcoholic mothers deliver babies who are born looking drunk? What exactly is the purpose of the umbilical cord? Is it not to provide the fetus with nutrients and oxygen via blood directly from the mother? The air an expecting mother breathes is the same air that goes to the fetus. The air she exhales is her air as well as that of the fetus. If you remove a fetus from its host, what are its chances of survival? If there's any chance at all, then they are slim, depending on gestational age.

It is extremely selfish and unfair to expect a victim of sexual molestation to carry to term an end-product of that molestation because of your values/opinions. Saying "easier said than done" on this issue is beyond an understatement.

Suicide is not illegal in the United States. Suicide is illegal in some other countries though. I'm sure it's only those who failed at completing suicides that face punishments for it. I don't like the idea of suicide, but what I believe does not trump the beliefs of someone else.[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Think He Interfered? / Pic: Guys, What will you do next? / Can We Talk About The Cheating Rubbish On The Frontpage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.