Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (16478 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / Making Love & Raising A Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
@ Smartmom, there are no right or wrong ways to bring up our children. Every parent will bring up their children the way they deem fit. It's got nothing to do with "colonial brainwashing", as you put it.

Right now, it appears you have a dim view of parents who prefer to bring up their children with English as a first language. Sneering at such parents isn't nice, it gives the impression you're looking to force your opinion down the throats of parents who don't subscribe to your view.

Sure, some people can't speak their native language fluently, but I'm yet to see this having any adverse effect on these people, minors or adults.

My parents spoke English to myself and my siblings when we were growing up, and that's the same way we're bringing up our own kids. It works for us, it may not work for you, and that's good too.

Everyone has a choice, and these choices are not to be sneered at or ridiculed.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 29, 2013
smartmom: I am shocked to hear 'modern' parents ([s]who I assumed were free from colonial brainwashing[/s]) say that we dont need to preserve our indigenous languages by teaching our kids 1st at home.

You say that "modern" parents are free from colonial brainwashing.
But, you seem to forget the English language still rules Nigeria.
And, this is a residual effect of colonization. So, no one is truly Free from colonial brainwashing.

Your options are:

1 - You should blame the Nigeria constitution and NOT the parents who speak to their children in English.
English is the Official Language of Nigeria. If a Nigerian doesn't know how to speak English properly, he has no future in Nigeria. He may move to The Congo where we will gladly teach him French which is another colonial language smiley

2 - If you can't change the Nigeria constitution, then don't blame the parents who speak to their children in English.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 12:34pm On Apr 29, 2013
TheCongo:

You say that "modern" parents are free from colonial brainwashing.
But, you seem to forget the English language still rules Nigeria.
And, this is a residual effect of colonization. So, no one is truly Free from colonial brainwashing.

Your options are:

1 - You should blame the Nigeria constitution and NOT the parents who speak to their children in English.
English is the Official Language of Nigeria. If a Nigerian doesn't know how to speak English properly, he has no future in Nigeria. He may move to The Congo where we will gladly teach him French which is another colonial language smiley

2 - If you can't change the Nigeria constitution, then don't blame the parents who speak to their children in English.

I entirely disagree with the bolded!

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Apr 29, 2013
OCTAVO:

I entirely disagree with the bolded!

What about this:

If a Nigerian doesn't know any word of English, he will have very limited option in Nigeria ...
He can't even come on Nairaland to fetch ideas ... smiley

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by smartmom(f): 8:37pm On Apr 29, 2013
Siena: @ Smartmom, there are no right or wrong ways to bring up our children. Every parent will bring up their children the way they deem fit. It's got nothing to do with "colonial brainwashing", as you put it.

Right now, it appears you have a dim view of parents who prefer to bring up their children with English as a first language. Sneering at such parents isn't nice, it gives the impression you're looking to force your opinion down the throats of parents who don't subscribe to your view.

Sure, some people can't speak their native language fluently, but I'm yet to see this having any adverse effect on these people, minors or adults.

My parents spoke English to myself and my siblings when we were growing up, and that's the same way we're bringing up our own kids. It works for us, it may not work for you, and that's good too.

I am sorry if I came across as sneering at parents who do not see my point of view. Never meant it to be so. Its just that I am very touchy about this issue because I am in the 'business' of educating people of the importance of culture preservation and as a child, we had parents who had to put their foot down on making sure that we learnt to speak our language as against the trending culture of the then post colonial days (early to mid 70s) of their contemporaries wanting to 'englishfy' their kids. Funny enough, we all learnt to speak and write perfect English in my family despite our acquiring it as 2nd languages.

One question I ask people who do not see the need of our kids acquiring our languages is this? it your culture of any importance to you? does it have any significance to you or your values? If the answer is No, then we need not sweat this issue. Every man to himself.

@TheCongo, learning to speak your language does not prevent you from speaking or writing English very fluently! Nothing wrong with speaking English be it in Nigeria or outside Nigeria but please dont throw your own language away.

12 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 30, 2013
smartmom:

@TheCongo, learning to speak your language does not prevent you from speaking or writing English very fluently! Noting wrong with speaking English be it in Nigeria or outside Nigeria but please dont throw your own language away.

Smartmom, I am not sure if you ever been confronted with the challenge of talking in one language but thinking in another one. Have you ever got back your essay paper with the following remark from the teacher "Please write in English".

My parents raised me in Swahili and when I started primary school, French was mandatory. And, those are the challenges I faced in school back then:

I was easily bullied and intimidated by those kids who were fluent in French. In any African country, people would have a very low opinion of someone who can't speak the colonial (Official) language of the country. A person who can't properly speak the colonial (official) language of his country would be classified as been uneducated or from someone from the "bush".

Furthermore, there were instances where I was unable to defend myself when wrongly accused of something in school. And this was due to the fact that the interrogation took place in French.

Nobody is throwing any African language away but people are being realistic when they bring up their children with English as a first language. English is a passport that give you access to the world and you basically can't do anything without it.

In Africa the adverse effect on the people who can't speak their tribal language are very little or non existent.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by smartmom(f): 9:25am On May 04, 2013
@ Congo, you ar still missing the point here. That your parents taught you Swahili did not prevent you from speaking French/English simultaneously if you were exposed to these languages. Like I said earlier, we learnt how to speak both English and Idoma fluently as children. Learning one before the other is not detrimental to the other. Especially with children

9 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by nene1: 3:00pm On May 05, 2013
Hello all,

I think it is equally important for the child to learn both languages. Like another poster said, English is the commercial language of the world and most popular with French 2nd. For almost any job, unless you live in a country where English is not the official language, you need to know English. It is very useful worldwide. What I plan on doing when I get married and start a family is teach my child both. Maybe my husband will speak English to our children when they are young and I will speak to them in our native language. When they begin school and get a chance to speak English everyday with their peers, then we will transition to speaking our native language completely in our home. If my husband happens to be from another ethnic group, we will begin with English until the child begins school. Then we will both begin to speak in our diff native languages to the kids. I think when they are very young is the best time to each them English and their native language. They absorb everything better then.

One can be very well versed in your language and culture while at the same time being modern. You can be fluent in many languages. As the world is becoming more globalized, it helps to learn many languages. I think for international use, knowing both English and French is very helpful.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 05, 2013
Siena:

That's where you're wrong. English is our first language, our native languages come second.
God forbid!!!English can never be my first language.could Ɣ☺ΰя ancestors speak english before the coming of the white man?Could Ɣ☺ΰя ancestors write in english before the coming of western education?Tomorrow now ‎u will say the suit should be our native attirePls don't go any further in dis direction ‎u are facing....its a dead end!!!

7 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by biolabee(m): 4:24pm On May 05, 2013
smartmom: I am shocked to hear 'modern' parents ([s]who I assumed were free from colonial brainwashing[/s]) say that we dont need to preserve our indigenous languages by teaching our kids 1st at home. It is no wonder a large number of our youngsters simply do not speak our local languages or if they do, so badly that I shudder to think what they will teach their own kids when our generation passes on!

It may seem 'cool' to some that their kids learn to speak English before attempting their local language but honestly I have not seen any Nigerian who was at any disadvantage in speaking English because they spoke their mother tongue 1st. Not if they go to a proper school anyway.

Children have the ability to learn and speak 4 languages simultaneously so they can learn both the mother tongue and English with thesame proficiency. The real problem here is that the kids become reluctant to learn their local languange if they are made to speak English 1st simply because they think it is too much trouble for a limited audience since they wont be needing it outside the home setting.

I expected to hear the complain that parents of mixed tribal marriages would have a problem to teaching their kids 2 different languages but alas I havent even read of any such!

Please and please parents do the natural; speak your langauge in your home setting amongst yourself and encourage your kids to speak it too. Its a precious legacy not to be toyed with.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 05, 2013
Siena: @ Smartmom, there are no right or wrong ways to bring up our children. Every parent will bring up their children the way they deem fit. It's got nothing to do with "colonial brainwashing", as you put it.

Micheal Jackson never achieved Į̸̸̨ƭ with his fame,bleaching and surgery....I guess ‎u won't achieve the white man status by throwing away ur cultural heritage while speaking dictionary english cos ‎u will have •̸№ roots τ̲̅ȍ run τ̲̅ȍ when d chips r down.

4 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by jntyjnty007(f): 4:35pm On May 05, 2013
Yes, a parent who can speak more than one language should teach their children from a young age. Being able to at least speak more than one language is a huge advantage in this world today.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 05, 2013
nony30: Micheal Jackson never achieved Į̸̸̨ƭ with his fame,bleaching and surgery....I guess ‎u won't achieve the white man status by throwing away ur cultural heritage while speaking dictionary english cos ‎u will have •̸№ roots τ̲̅ȍ run τ̲̅ȍ when d chips r down.

You're not reading things through, or if you are, you're not comprehending.

What is the correlation between Michael Jackson's (RIP) bleaching, surgery and a decision to bring one's children up with English or native language as a first language? You're not making any sense here.

As for sticking to cultural heritage, that's fine, it's your choice. Does this include ditching every Western influence? Like phones, automobile, electricity etc? I realise this is digressing, but I'm going along with your totally unrelated Michael Jackson analogy, and I'm curious as to where your argument's heading.

My choice is to bring up my children speaking English, first and foremost, same as my own parents did with myself and my siblings. My business, not yours. You're obviously free to bring up your children (if you've got any) with your native language, first and foremost. Your business, not mine.

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 05, 2013
nony30: God forbid!!!English can never be my first language.could Ɣ☺ΰя ancestors speak english before the coming of the white man?Could Ɣ☺ΰя ancestors write in english before the coming of western education?Tomorrow now ‎u will say the suit should be our native attirePls don't go any further in dis direction ‎u are facing....its a dead end!!!

Nony, where is your argument heading? Your ancestors couldn't drive cars, has that stopped you from owning an automobile today? Your ancestors couldn't read or write (at least not in English). Why have you then decided to get an education today in English? As a matter of fact, you're doing all the things in the 21st century that your ancestors didn't do back in their time - does that make you bad?

Back to the topic!

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 05, 2013
Siena:

You're not reading things through, or if you are, you're not comprehending.

What is the correlation between Michael Jackson's (RIP) bleaching, surgery and a decision to bring one's children up with English or native language as a first language? You're not making any sense here.

As for sticking to cultural heritage, that's fine, it's your choice. Does this include ditching every Western influence? Like phones, automobile, electricity etc? I realise this is digressing, but I'm going along with your totally unrelated Michael Jackson analogy, and I'm curious as to where your argument's heading.

My choice is to bring up my children speaking English, first and foremost, same as my own parents did with myself and my siblings. My business, not yours. You're obviously free to bring up your children (if you've got any) with your native language, first and foremost. Your business, not mine.
ahh oga Siena, na ‎u dey talk like disI didn't even look at d name of the poster sef. Pele o! gringringrin

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by nene1: 8:43pm On May 05, 2013
I think what smart mom is trying to say is that learning your native language is not all of a sudden going to prevent you from learning English. It's really simple. I don't get the big deal really. There is really no point to not speaking your native language. English has always been my best subject even though I speak my native language like an elder from back home. I also grew up in the US. I will definitely pass on my language to my kids. I now Spanish as well. I am taking arabic classes in the evening. I hope to add French to my list next year. Being monolingual is too boring. English is the most popular language but there are a lot of countries where English won't help you. Knowing English isn't the be all end all.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by nene1: 8:45pm On May 05, 2013
I think some Africans (not all) think that only speaking English makes you seem more modern and educated and see speaking your native language as being backwards. It's sad when I see people embarrassed to speak their native language.

4 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by yuzedo: 12:53pm On May 06, 2013
Huh?! Op, bro, did you wanted to rase him to be speak Maths befor??! undecided angry

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by safarigirl(f): 1:02pm On May 06, 2013
Is it proper? No
Is it popular? Yes

The only thing I have against local language is that accent it could leave some kids with, so that even when such person is making an intelligent statement, it sounds like it's coming from an illiterate. So I guess a balance of both is better...teach the language, not the strong intonation that affects one's eloquence
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ifihearam: 1:04pm On May 06, 2013
but how do they learn your language parents are of two different tribes?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by jonot: 1:06pm On May 06, 2013
This is one of the best posts I've come across on this forum. maybe it's cos I've also found it a disturbing trend among we Nigerians, especially Yorubas. A lot of Naija kids here (born to Naija parents) hardly understand our indigenous languages, not to talk of speaking. And I find out that South African children speak their languages (including the Afrikaans!). We certainly need to seriously wonder what would happen to our cultures in the next 50 - 70 years if we continue this way.

I do hope our generation would do something about it.

God help us all.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by kaydibs(f): 1:19pm On May 06, 2013
It is extremely important to raise a child with proper english and if the finances are available, throw in oda foreign languages like spanish or french or german. It helps
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by honeychild(f): 1:25pm On May 06, 2013
well, as for me, my children speak English first. I cannot stand people who speak English with a very pronounced accent. I also agree with the poster who said It slows you down when you think in your native language and have to translate it into English.

Languages have different structures. Constantly translating from our various native tongues to English is what is responsible for the way a lot of Nigerians 'murder' the English language- mixing up our tenses and generally speaking atrocious English. Since my kids need to speak good English to excel at school, work and business, that is the language they will have to think in.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 06, 2013
ifihearam: but how do they learn your language parents are of two different tribes?
you learn English well.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by AjanleKoko: 1:35pm On May 06, 2013
Well, I'm trying to teach my kids to speak my native language. But they are fluent in English.

Primarily because children in Nigeria these days don't learn to speak at home, but in school. Working class parents usually have children in the day care from three months or thereabouts, and they are there all through. So there is little or no opportunity for the child to learn the language from home. You need to do a lot of extra work to ensure the child can speak your language.

If for example you had like a nanny from your part of the country taking care of the kids, maybe it would be better, and easier for them. But these days, the kids are brought up in day care and school.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 06, 2013
ifihearam: but how do they learn your language parents are of two different tribes?

This is the problem in my home, my husband don't know how to speak his dialet. Is it right for me to teach my children my native dialet?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Ogadtop(m): 1:42pm On May 06, 2013
I think we are crazy in this country to enfore speaking of foreign language in bringing up our children and i can categorically state that i am part of the crazy folks. This is because i scold my son whenever he attempts speaking vanacular. I consented to this because my wife will not agree to it that our children speak vanacular.if disagreeing with her will make us sleep in bed back-to-back, then i just have to agree with her.
I think it is crazy of us to have gotten independence long time ago,yet we still live in colonial era.i was brought up in my native language.i was thought english in school.i am not doing bad in english afterall. We even go as far as faulting the way we speak english as if it is our own even when britons do fail english as a subject in their schools oooo.imagine!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by stevebond007(m): 1:48pm On May 06, 2013
Its so bad. The english they speak most of the time are filled with grammatical errors. Look @ d likes of Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, pple seasoned with their native tongue, now doin exploit with d English lang. Some parents have gotten it WRONG.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by UjSizzle(f): 1:50pm On May 06, 2013
There is nothing wrong with teaching our chilodren English, actually i encourage it especially within Nigeria.
English as a language is difficult if you don't have a really good foundation which starts at an early age. Our native languages on the other hand can be learnt whenever you decide you have an interest in learning it.

We need to tell ourselves the truth in this country, English happens to be our lingua-franca..not knowing it properly is a very huge lucuna..catastrophic i might add in this present age.

We can stop being scared for culture..it will always be there so long it's strongest advocates don't die off anytime soon tongue.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Princek12(m): 1:51pm On May 06, 2013
Why do people in Nigeria turn everything, even the simplest things, to rocket science? In this case it is the concept of bilingualism. Why don't you raise your child to be bilingual, in which case your child will speak both languages fluently. Send your child to a school where only English is spoken, and speak your native language to your child at home. You don't have to forgo one for the other. This is rocket science to many Nigerians, both home and abroad.

6 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 1:52pm On May 06, 2013
stevebond007: Its so bad. The english they speak most of the time are filled with grammatical errors. Look @ d likes of Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, pple seasoned with their native tongue, now doin exploit with d English lang. Some parents have gotten it WRONG.
Oh yeah!

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by nuelnuel: 2:02pm On May 06, 2013
Urdu is not common language in India.it is common in Pakistan not India
Originalsly: Is there any special importance attached to teaching a child English in Nigeria? Yes.It is the official language pf Nigeria. If your child does not know English then his travels,education,job opportunities,finding a wife,using the internet and friends will all be limited to local areas where his language is spoken....and this is only within Nigeria....how would he ever become a part of the global community?...like us here on Nairaland? However, I strongly believe that the first language a baby should learn is the native language/s of his parents. He will learn English when he starts schooling.It is more important to pass on your culture.On the Elites...too many show their inferiority complex by speaking English in these fake accents...they make me sick.China...many languages...common one Mandarin. India...many languages...common one...Urdu. Nigeria...many languages...common one English.Poof!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Married Men Have Affairs? / Can This Happen In Our Country Nigeria Mother And Son (PHOTO) / Find A Way, Not An Excuse!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.