Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,458 members, 7,954,798 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:38 AM

Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (16648 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / Making Love & Raising A Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 06, 2013
Afam4eva: Says who?

Unless you're saying the 250-odd languages in Nigeria are Nigeria's first languages, then there's nothing to discuss here.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 06, 2013
Itoroetti :

ur mentality needs upgrading.u nid to go and tone ur skin so u'l becoming"white".since u see nothing wrong abt it

Your mentality needs upgrading, and you need to get to grips with basic comprehension, since you see everything wrong with people being free to make their own choices.

There's no correlation whatsoever between toning skin, and speaking English, unless you can convince me otherwise. Bring your own kids up the way you deem fit, wind your neck in, and mind your own business.

This thread isn't about forcing opinions on others, it's all about different viewpoints, it's about doing things your own way, period. There's no right or wrong, simply do what you're comfortable with.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Evestar200(f): 6:41pm On May 06, 2013
Oh my God,,dis is what i want to hear,,,my children must speak nd undastand my dialet,,i dont joke with my urhobo dialet,,,they must speak nd undastand it if nt me ka fa ye gan gan
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 06, 2013
I had to learn pidgin in high school because I tended to be too "correct" in English. I write English and speak it quite well. In fact, I developed a very convincing American accent that I got shy of because I didn't like sounding so different among my friends. I only used the Ghetto American to make them laugh back then. In a very formal setting, I'm very likely to mix the standard Brit and standard American when I talk. I learned a thimble-full of German and plan to finish the lesson someday. I'm falling in love with Japanese too. But, ain't nobody among my peers from my hometown able to gloat over me for being better at my own dialect of Igbo. NOBODY!!! And, boy, am I proud of that! grin

My kids, like me, will probably have all-Igbo names. They'll speak Igbo from their first word unless they miraculously say "Daddy" or "Mommy", but from the time they can talk they'll be learning Igbo, their mother's tongue (if she decides not to be Igbo after all) and English. I'll throw in a couple more international languages and maybe one other Nigerian tongue, if I can manage it, before they're in their mid-teens.

I plan to make my kids great communicators, but they aren't gonna ever lose sight of who they are or where they're from.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by DerMeister: 6:53pm On May 06, 2013
Itoroetti :

ur mentality needs upgrading.u nid to go and tone ur skin so u'l becoming"white".since u see nothing wrong abt it

If you had learnt English as a first language, you might have comprehended his post!

Anybody who criticizes another parent over his/her decision on what language(s) to teach his/her kids is an im.be.cile!

If you want your kids to learn English as their only language, you surely have your reasons and if you want them to learn vernacular 1st, you also have your reasons.

Nigeria isn't the only country where languages are getting extinct.

I would like my kid to learn Mandarin... that's probably going to be the most important language in the world soon, who knows...
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Tabawababy(f): 7:03pm On May 06, 2013
Load is my shephert. This my grain headache is too much wallahi.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Afam4eva(m): 7:07pm On May 06, 2013
Siena:

Unless you're saying the 250-odd languages in Nigeria are Nigeria's first languages, then there's nothing to discuss here.
Which Language is spoken in your village? What's your problem with other languages? Is it only in Nigeria that there are numerous languages?

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 06, 2013
DerMeister:

If you had learnt English as a first language, you might have comprehended his post!

Anybody who criticizes another parent over his/her decision on what language(s) to teach his/her kids is an im.be.cile!

If you want your kids to learn English as their only language, you surely have your reasons and if you want them to learn vernacular 1st, you also have your reasons.

Nigeria isn't the only country where languages are getting extinct.

I would like my kid to learn Mandarin... that's probably going to be the most important language in the world soon, who knows...

shocked shocked shocked I cannae shout lipsrsealed
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ismokeweed1(f): 8:27pm On May 06, 2013
naijababe:

grin grin grin grin grin. We do not have the 'v' sound in my mother tongue neither do the Dutch! What's your point again?

let of descend to your level of reasoning . . . Just this once . . .

listen, the word 'HAVE' is NOT your mother tongue. It is an ENGLISH word and MUST BE TREATED AS SUCH

while pronuncing it the consonant sound 'V' is NOT SILENT and should under no circumstance sound like 'fff' as in the word 'HALF' .

if you want to do something i believe its to be done right, you can say you FLUENTLY understand/speak english and still make that kind of mistake. i an aware that your mother tongue forbids the correct pronunciation of english words . . . want to know why ? . . . BECAUSE IT IS NOT A WORD FROM YOUR MOTHER TONGUE

so when you try to speak english in future ( and yes i know you must one day come out of the village you are living in) just try to focus on the kind of grammar you use on people lest you MURDER THEM with your accent riddled bullets
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dayokanu(m): 8:29pm On May 06, 2013
^^ The Nigerian born kids who never learn their Local language, Which accent do they now speak with? Or do they dont speak with accents?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Afam4eva(m): 8:34pm On May 06, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

let of descend to your level of reasoning . . . Just this once . . .

listen, the word 'HAVE' is NOT your mother tongue. It is an ENGLISH word and MUST BE TREATED AS SUCH

while pronuncing it the consonant sound 'V' is NOT SILENT and should under no circumstance sound like 'fff' as in the word 'HALF' .

if you want to do something i believe its to be done right, you can say you FLUENTLY understand/speak english and still make that kind of mistake. i an aware that your mother tongue forbids the correct pronunciation of english words . . . want to know why ? . . . BECAUSE IT IS NOT A WORD FROM YOUR MOTHER TONGUE

so when you try to speak english in future ( and yes i know you must one day come out of the village you are living in) just try to focus on the kind of grammar you use on people lest you MURDER THEM with your accent riddled bullets
So, how come the English, Mericans and Australians use different pronunciation of some words? Why should that of Nigeria be different?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 06, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

let of (us) descend ascend to your my level of reasoning . . . Just this once . . .

Yeah, the word 'HAVE' is English and should be treated as such but most native Dutch speakers would pronounce it as 'haff' just like my Ibadan brother would! So, again what is your point?

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 06, 2013
dayokanu: ^^ The Nigerian born kids who never learn their Local language, Which accent do they now speak with? Or do they dont speak with accents?

Accent from the moon of course grin
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 06, 2013
When I wanna respond to something here, I always find that somebody else has given an apt response.

@i-smoke-weed

Accents! Hmmm! I would like to hear an American pronounce my name without an accent. cheesy
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 06, 2013
The word Schedule

English pronounce as => sedule s sound as shhh

Canadian, American schedule=> skedule

Bros leave matter for Mathias Abeg, my kids British cousins ascent is waaay different from theirs, we have to open our elephant ears to understand them.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Richy4(m): 9:03pm On May 06, 2013
honeychild: well, as for me, my children speak English first. I cannot stand people who speak English with a very pronounced accent. I also agree with the poster who said It slows you down when you think in your native language and have to translate it into English.

Languages have different structures. Constantly translating from our various native tongues to English is what is responsible for the way a lot of Nigerians 'murder' the English language- mixing up our tenses and generally speaking atrocious English. Since my kids need to speak good English to excel at school, work and business, that is the language they will have to think in.

Hmmmm you cannot stand people who speak English with a pronounced accent. I guess you are in Nigeria that is why you are saying this. no matter how you twist your tongue to imitate them while speaking, once you open your mouth and speak, they will still know you are not one of their own. so be yourself. the world would have been a boring place if every one speak or act the same. angry

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 06, 2013
jidegirl12: The word Schedule

English pronounce as => sedule s sound as shhh

Canadian, American schedule=> skedule

Bros leave matter for Mathias Abeg, my kids British cousins ascent is waaay different from theirs, we have to open our elephant ears to understand them.

Try listening to a Glaswegian or Brummie, you go hear am plenty
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ismokeweed1(f): 9:28pm On May 06, 2013
naijababe:

Yeah, the word 'HAVE' is English and should be treated as such but most native Dutch speakers would pronounce it as 'haff' just like my Ibadan brother would! So, again what is your point?

is that pronunciation right ?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 06, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

What makes one pronunciation right and another wrong?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dayokanu(m): 9:39pm On May 06, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

What is the right pronunciation for Schedule?

What is the right way to write colour, Labor, odor etc?
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Tabawababy(f): 9:46pm On May 06, 2013
dayokanu:

What is the right pronunciation for Schedule?

What is the right way to write colour, Labor, odor etc?
Our lecturer in school of Ligal studying in Kano said it is ske-dool not shai-dool that is how to say schedule.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 06, 2013
Tabawababy:
Our lecturer in school of Ligal studying in Kano said it is ske-dool not shai-dool that is how to say schedule.

Your lecturer should be traded in for a sound one. cheesy
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Tabawababy(f): 9:52pm On May 06, 2013
jidegirl12:

Your lecturer should be traded in for a sound one. cheesy
If you dont know something is better to axe becourse he is correct.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 06, 2013
naijababe:

Try listening to a Glaswegian or Brummie, you go hear am plenty

Even more twisted grin sounds like a rhythm , I honestly couldn't hear a thing grin say what??
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 06, 2013
Tabawababy:
If you dont know something is better to axe becourse he is correct.

**Faints** cheesy cheesy He sure is wink

Get me outta here mehn!!
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by dayokanu(m): 10:04pm On May 06, 2013
jidegirl12:

Get me outta here mehn!!

That ID is a troll check its posting history and profile pic
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Tabawababy(f): 10:07pm On May 06, 2013
jidegirl12:

Get me outta here mehn!!
What happen to you my friend are you not filling fine? Me too I have my grain headache since in the moaning.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Tabawababy(f): 10:09pm On May 06, 2013
dayokanu:

You too you are troll. Any place I enter in this nairalnder the friends will be insulting me. Is it because I joint the nairalander today? Mtchewwww
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 06, 2013
dayokanu:

Oh okay cheesy cheesy
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Klinee: 10:37pm On May 06, 2013
English is not our language.its a foreign language.teach ur kids our local language for our benefit.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 06, 2013
Ideally, a child should be raised to speak both English and the parent's native languages.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 11:16pm On May 06, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

Feel free to point it out to a Dutch!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos: At What Age Should Kids Stop Playing Naked With Their Parents? / My 17-year-old Daughter Is Pregnant For Me, What Should I Do? / 45-Year-Old Nigerian Woman Celebrates As She Welcomes Twins After 13 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.