Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

What Is Your Definition Of Development? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Definition Of Development? (6629 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Apr 28, 2013
[size=14pt]I’ve been thinking of what the universal definition of development is and have tried to juxtapose it with the definition of development to the average Nigeria and there seems to be some disparity. In other parts of the world, development is often used to describe a general appreciation of infrastructure and the people who use the infrastructure but here in Nigeria, the former seems to be the most accepted definition. Could we be getting all wrong in our quest to develop our country?

Just to expatiate on this topic, I’ve noticed that governors who are termed to be working are those who have erected gargantuan structures that are evident to the eye of the citizenry. Meaning, if the governor of Ebonyi state can erect the tallest building in Nigeria today, he will win many awards and be praised by Nigerians yet this skyscraper will have no direct positive consequence on the average Ebonyi resident.

On the other hand, if a government decides to spend money on different forms of education (not necessarily by building MEGA schools) which will develop the mindset of the average citizenry, as long as there’s no quick physical evidence of this, the governor is not termed to be working.

Are we not getting our priorities wrong? Cos it seems what the governors are doing is urbanization rather than development. If you go to Akwa Ibom state for example, despite the fact that the governor is praised for building gigantic structures, the average citizen of that state is poor and cannot relate with what is available in that state
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 28, 2013
People need to see development around them in order not to feel discouraged about their poverty. It doesn't help anyone if they're educated but feel somewhere else is where it's at, they need to be inspired, while had Europe it's poor, it had the most beautiful structures that gave hope to the citizens. A balance done needs to be kept though, the citizens must be developed so the infrastructure is kept beautiful and not run-down.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 10:53am On Apr 28, 2013
zetdee: People need to see development around them in order not feel discouraged about their poverty. It doesn't help anyone if they're educated but feel somewhere is where it's at, they need to be inspired, Europe when it had poor people had the most beautiful structures that inpired hope in the citizens.
[size=14pt]You're wrong. The reason why Europe and America is soo developed is because the people developed it and not the government. The government just provided the enabling environment for that to happen. But it seems in Nigeria, the government has relegated it's own duty and is doing what the citizens are supposed to be doing. Of what use is the government building beautiful structures which according to you will make them feel discouraged about poverty when they don't have the needed mechanism to achieve such feat by themselves. Even in the poorest countries in the world, they have seen the best of things whether in real life or on TV but their limitations will not enable them even dream for those things.[/size]

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by asha80(m): 10:53am On Apr 28, 2013
the problem i have with the building of this so called mega schools is after they have being built who will maintain them?the same structure of government that ran them down?
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by asha80(m): 10:56am On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]You're wrong. The reason why Europe and America is soo developed is because the people developed it and not the government. The government just provided the enabling environment for that to happen. But it seems in Nigeria, the government has relegated it's own duty and is doing what the citizens are supposed to be doing. Of what use is the government building beautiful structures which according to you will make them feel discouraged about poverty when they don't have the needed mechanism to achieve such feat by themselves. Even in the poorest countries in the world, they have seen the best of things whether in real life or on TV but their limitations will not enable them even dream for those things.[/size]
it is in nigeria that you here people criticizing govt for not building industries as if that is the work of govt.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 10:56am On Apr 28, 2013
asha 80: the problem i have with the building of this so called mega schools is after they have being built who will maintain them?the same structure of government that ran them down?
[size=14pt]The reason most times is that enough expertise is not there to maintain these schools. We're tackling the problems from the top rather than from the bottom.[/size]

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by asha80(m): 11:13am On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]The reason most times is that enough expertise is not there to maintain these schools. We're tackling the problems from the top rather than from the bottom.[/size]
exactly.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
A hundred years ago most westerners lived in abject poverty, but had very beautiful structures that still amaze people to this day. You're making it look as though the government is only building structures and doing nothing to develop its citizens. Humans are very complicated creatures, they like to see progress around them in oder to strive forward, it's a feedback loop.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 11:18am On Apr 28, 2013
zetdee:
A hundred years ago most westerners lived in abject poverty, but had very beautiful structures that still amaze people to this day. You're making it look as though the government is only building structures and doing nothing to develop its citizens. Humans are very complicated creatures, they like to see progress around them in oder to strive forward, it's a feedback loop.
[size=14pt]The government is building more white elephant infrastructure and investing very little on the citizens. A look at the amount allocated to education in the budget in relation to other sectors for education will speak volume.

A hundred years ago, most westerners were not poor but those were the days of developing themselves and the result is what we see today.
[/size]
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nuzo1(m): 11:26am On Apr 28, 2013
To define development; one may need over 2 pages in Nairaland to do that.

Development is a broad subject that spans across all sphere of life. From social, economic, political, human, parental, safety, land, personal, career etc.

Its simply the sustained efforts, invention and innovation of bettering and increasing the value of these aspects of our lives by the policy makers, technocrats, clergies, lawmakers, leaders and the community for a greater good.

Just like the entire community have their roles to play, leaders have even bigger role to play in development. These they do by making futuristic and innovative laws and strictly implementing it to the later.

Without strict implimentation of laws and punishment of defaulter...folks are going to embezzle funds meant for developmental projects like power stations.

I mentioned power (electricity) cos after corruption...poor electricity is the bane of development.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by asha80(m): 11:27am On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]The government is building more white elephant infrastructure and investing very little on the citizens. A look at the amount allocated to education in budget in relation to other sectors for education will speak volume.

A hundred years ago, most westerners were not poor but those were the days of developing themselves and the result is what we see today.
[/size]
i think this is because we have failed to use what is natural to us to develop ourselves instead we try to copy europians that build gigantic projects forgetting that the minds of the people over there are developed.even the so called education we are getting seems not to be tailored towards our peculiar needs but a continuation of the colonial type education that was embarked on to find replacements for them when they(colonialists) where about leaving the country. Also i believe that the developmental patterns of different regions in this country cannot be the same since we socialized in different ways.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]The government is building more white elephant infrastructure and investing very little on the citizens. A look at the amount allocated to education in budget in relation to other sectors for education will speak volume.

[/size]
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]The government is building more white elephant infrastructure and investing very little on the citizens. A look at the amount allocated to education in the budget in relation to other sectors for education will speak volume.

[/size]
Aren't Nigerians also developing themselves.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nuzo1(m): 11:47am On Apr 28, 2013
asha 80: i think this is because we have failed to use what is natural to us to develop ourselves instead we try to copy europians that build gigantic projects forgetting that the minds of the people over there are developed.even the so called education we are getting seems not to be tailored towards our peculiar needs but a continuation of the colonial type education that was embarked on to find replacements for them when they(colonialists) where about leaving the country. Also i believe that the developmental patterns of different regions in this country cannot be the same since we socialized in different ways.

Hope you are good Asha, been long.

There's nothing wrong in copying the developmental styles of the Europeans. The problem is that we tend to copy the easy part and forget about the hard part.

The hard part is putting aside personal or family interest and working together for a greater good of the entire community.

The other hard part is avoiding being punished for crimes either by the perpetrator or his allies.

Why is it that most Africans live crime free in the so-called European communities?

The Asians tigers are fast developing not because they getting or remodelling the European education or standard. They have copied everything varbatum.

Until we begin to understand that no kind of education is a waste but our attitudes to life....we may never develop pass this our current sorry state.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 11:54am On Apr 28, 2013
zetdee:
Aren't Nigerians also developing themselves.
[size=14pt]Those who have the resource are developing themselves. WHat about majority who don't?[/size]
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by asha80(m): 12:01pm On Apr 28, 2013
Nuzo':
What

There's nothing wrong in copying the developmental styles of the Europeans. The problem is that we tend to copy the easy part and forget about the hard part.

The hard part is putting aside personal or family interest and working together for a greater good of the entire community.

The other hard part is avoiding being punished for crimes either by the perpetrator or his allies.

Why is it that most Africans live crime free in the so-called European communities?

The Asians tigers are fast developing not because they getting or remodelling the European education or standard. They have copied everything varbatum.

Until we begin to understand that no kind of education is a waste but our attitudes to life....we may never develop pass this our current sorry state.
bros i dey good.yes i believe the aspect of copying the easy part and living out the hard parts especially that aspect believing in the greater good of society when it clashes with what the family wants.to be honest i am not sure how we are going to overcome that.as for punishement for crimes (especially executive crimes or white collar crime)we have not started.as for education correct me if i am wrong but i have always felt that the eucation in asian tiger countries is tailored towards production or being productive?
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 12:07pm On Apr 28, 2013
Nuzo':

[size=14pt]

The Asian tigers did not copy the west verbatim like you imply. They took what they could take and added it to what they already had. They still imbibe their tenents in whatever developmental strides that they embark upon. I see no reason why the Nigerian government should not build on the raw entreprenrural spirit of the average craftman in Aba, the traders in Onitsha and Nnewi. We can't jus keet setting up SHOPRITE in every Nigerian city.
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by asha80(m): 12:12pm On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]Those who have the resource are developing themselves. WHat about majority who don't?[/size]

there is also the issue of the wealthier class investing much of their wealth in jewellries,real estate or spent to meet social obligations on ceremonial occassions to maitain status instead of ploughing the money on productive ventures that can grow society economically.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2013
You'r right in that Nigerians tend to focus more on infrastructural development, which is just one component of development. This is mainly because it is easily the most visible form of development. We tend to pay less emphasis on other less visible components of development like human, social, health, organisational, institutions, etc development.

Even when political actors tries to develop their people (human development) through education, they tend to focus more on the infrastructures of schools again- building beautiful schools and all that- while doing less about the teachers that'll impact on the students. If I were to choose between beautiful schools with poor quality teachers and fantastic teachers working under a tree, I would choose the later. The missionaries that laid the solid foundation for basic education system in this country did not start by building fantastic school buildings.

The same applies to the health system as political leaders tend to pay more attention in procuring world class facilities neglecting the human resources that'll use and maintain those facilities.

Also our institutions are weak because we pay more attention on INDIVIDUALS rather than developing institutions that'll operate effectively irrespective of the individuals. By focusing on individuals, we'll be having boom and burst institutions depending who is in charge.

I think it will help if we can have non-partisan, non-governmental and credible bodies that can be churning out regular statistics/data of effectiveness in federal, state, local govt and privately owned institutions.

For instance, if after building fantastic schools in Rivers and the literacy rate, pass rate,etc of students in Rivers remain the same, the Rivers state govt will see clearly that building of fantastic schools did not solve any problem and make amends. But if such statistics are not available, the govt will continue to beat its chest that it built so so number of beautiful schools. The same applies to the health system and so on. The new minister of agric introduced a new system of distributing agric inputs but there's no data to show how effective the previous system was. Even data from the current system is only provided by the same agric ministry that operates the system. Even if we have to trust them because its a govt institution but data from a neutral body would have been more reliable. We need credible data to guage effectiveness of whatever we do in this country. Unfortunately, most non-governmental organisations in Nigeria are not looking in this direction. Most are busy chasing politicians.

In conclusion, development has to be HOLISTIC for us to achieve desired result. Infrastructural development must go side by side with human, social, health, institutional,etc development. By neglecting some components of development, we'll continue to limp on one leg while other countries are running on both legs

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nuzo1(m): 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2013
asha 80: bros i dey good.yes i believe the aspect of copying the easy part and living out the hard parts especially that aspect believing in the greater good of society when it clashes with what the family wants.to be honest i am not sure how we are going to overcome that.as for punishement for crimes (especially executive crimes or white collar crime)we have not started.as for education correct me if i am wrong but i have always felt that the eucation in asian tiger countries is tailored towards production or being productive?

I hate to correct you cos I think we have similar thought process. I hope this is not an insult to your intelligence.

There's little or no difference between the education you get in the west and that of the Asians. Most of you who had very intelligent Asian school mate may think they are extra smart...no!

The only difference is the attitude of competition, hardwork, efficiency and punctuality inspired by their cultural mentor...comficiuos.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by nduchucks: 2:25pm On Apr 28, 2013
If a majority of Nigerians can state and believe, without reservations, that "they are better off today than they were say, 2 years ago" then development would have arrived.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
asha 80: there is also the issue of the wealthier class investing much of their wealth in jewellries,real estate or spent to meet social obligations on ceremonial occassions to maitain status instead of ploughing the money on productive ventures that can grow society economically.

[size=14pt]People have to be taught that they owe it to the community where they come from.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by mikolo80: 10:16pm On Apr 29, 2013
DEVELopment is 10000 tractors and 36 industrial parks plus high speed rail/river niger dredging
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 3:16pm On May 04, 2013
ndu_chucks: If a majority of Nigerians can state and believe, without reservations, that "they are better off today than they were say, 2 years ago" then development would have arrived.
Not necessarily.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Inik(m): 3:27pm On May 04, 2013
Development to me essential means progress and improvement. Development should be an all round concept. It encompasses physical development, human development, social development, infrastructural development, spiritual development etc. In Nigeria we have been having little or no form of development from previous regimes, so any level of development that the present government chooses to carry on is okay with me as long as we are making progress.

Afam4eva: [size=14pt]

Are we not getting our priorities wrong? Cos it seems what the governors are doing is urbanization rather than development. If you go to Akwa Ibom state for example, despite the fact that the governor is praised for building gigantic structures, the average citizen of that state is poor and cannot relate with what is available in that state
[/size]

Fallacy of hasty generalization. How did you arrive at this assertion? you need to back up this claim with facts.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 3:30pm On May 04, 2013
Inik: Fallacy of hasty generalization. How did you arrive at this assertion? you need to back up this claim with facts.
It's not limited to Akwa Ibom state alone. The poverty in Nigeria is alarming and you don't need any stats to see something that's glaring.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by bokohalal(m): 3:30pm On May 04, 2013
Access to basic amenities,safety net to pad a fall(foreseen or not),rule of law and an enabling environment for the citizens to aspire to higher heights.
Canada United Kingdom and the United States
and few European countries have all of the above.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Inik(m): 3:50pm On May 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's not limited to Akwa Ibom state alone. The poverty in Nigeria is alarming and you don't need any stats to see something that's glaring.
Ok. I agree that the level of poverty is quite high. Urbanization is a form of development that has its own advantages. If a governor can transform a rusty town into a world class city he should be able to come up with policies and initiatives that will reduce the level of poverty. This is what we are demanding for.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by joeyfire(m): 4:02pm On May 04, 2013
Afam4eva:

Growth without prioritisation is not development. Its something very close to a cancer.

To your question, development is orchestrated growth from the ground up. From basics to less basic things. Whether infrastructurally, societally or politically. For example I don't believe in fancy expressways and shiny buildings in a place lacking pipeborne water or security. Thats madness

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 4:28pm On May 04, 2013
Inik:
Urbanization is a form of development that has its own advantages. If a governor can transform a rusty town into a world class city he should be able to come up with policies and initiatives that will reduce the level of poverty. This is what we are demanding for.
Urbaninization is a form of development but it's not the kind of development we need now cos it's a top-down development and it's the vice-versa that we need.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by kcjazz(m): 10:26pm On May 13, 2013
I don't believe that building physical stuff like roads or houses etc are misplaced priorities especially if we can base such structures on facts or at least statistics. The problem is most decisions on when and what to build are based on sentiments rather than statistics/planning.

When a Governor builds a road to his village that produces nothing and neglects the other village that produces commercial yams that could feed a nation due to voting records. How can that be development?

Having the tallest building in the nation could be used to brand a state but branding a state involves a lot of things that one building cannot answer. All comes down to planning.
How many states can read the migration trends and understand their population 10 years from now?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Ifecoded(m): 10:31pm On May 13, 2013
I can not categorically gv u d definition of development and my oga at d top says development iz d situation of nigeria unda jonathan...Dats all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Danjuma Donates N500m To Youth Training Centre / Yoruba's Achievements-(catch Us If U Can) / See How Much Buhari's Daughter Spent On A Single Flight;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.