Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

What Is Your Definition Of Development? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Definition Of Development? (6638 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by chaloner(m): 10:33pm On May 13, 2013
hey! for everybody im not trying to bring issues about tribe but i have to say this.....
the problem we are having in this country is north "hausa/fulani" when you talk about development. note : development never comes from government , its the basic thing in every RATIONAL being to develop its area and place of living...then goes to an extend in helping other"less privileged" develop their own area. the issue here is ,hausa/fulani make thing worst for this country, goto anambra, abia, imo , ebonyi, ph, name them, you will see many of them living in trash, living in hell, living like pigs while many of them have the money to put things in those area like ibo people do in everywhere they go. even in there own state 92% of them choose to live uncomfortable when they have the cash to put up good structures. goto abuja you see many of them wasting money on little girls while their houses are bamboo houses. how many structure do hausa/fulani put in south/south or south/east in other to increase development? how many do other people put in there place? note: whenever you are not living comfortable, you must be a disturbance, a disadvantages and a nuisance to the whole country. like me if its true, kiss my a*s if you wish me a slap

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by OneNaira6: 10:35pm On May 13, 2013
Human Development Index is what I use to classify whose develop and whose not. I do not look at GDP in regards to development. For example: Nigeria is the second or is it the third GDP in the entire Africa but yet it rank so low in HDI. What is the use of having so much money if the people are not enjoying it? superficial stuff like roads, malls, etc to me is a waste of money. Until the indigenous can claim they have plenty food that they waste away, roof over their head, good living standard, constant electricity, good water, literacy, etc then that's when the superficial stuff can come into play. That is one of the reason I cannot stand Nigerian governors and why I stand in awe in the praising Nigerians give them when they build all this superficial stuff and disregard the main thing that matters: HDI.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by EPOMA(m): 10:36pm On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva: [size=14pt]I’ve been thinking of what the universal definition of development is and have tried to juxtapose it with the definition of development to the average Nigeria and there seems to be some disparity. In other parts of the world, development is often used to describe a general appreciation of infrastructure and the people who use the infrastructure but here in Nigeria, the former seems to be the most accepted definition. Could we be getting all wrong in our quest to develop our country?

Just to expatiate on this topic, I’ve noticed that governors who are termed to be working are those who have erected gargantuan structures that are evident to the eye of the citizenry. Meaning, if the governor of Ebonyi state can erect the tallest building in Nigeria today, he will win many awards and be praised by Nigerians yet this skyscraper will have no direct positive consequence on the average Ebonyi resident.

On the other hand, if a government decides to spend money on different forms of education (not necessarily by building MEGA schools) which will develop the mindset of the average citizenry, as long as there’s no quick physical evidence of this, the governor is not termed to be working.

Are we not getting our priorities wrong? Cos it seems what the governors are doing is urbanization rather than development. If you go to Akwa Ibom state for example, despite the fact that the governor is praised for building gigantic structures, the average citizen of that state is poor and cannot relate with what is available in that state
[/size]
Very correct, I say this everyday
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by EPOMA(m): 10:41pm On May 13, 2013
zetdee:
Aren't Nigerians also developing themselves.
most Nigerians don't develop themselves. I will be back
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by remarkD(m): 10:42pm On May 13, 2013
The Awolowo education taughts its students that budget = development. (Don't matter if all the money is stolen, investted in white-elephant projects... or what naught... long as you have a big budget, you are the richest and most developed. All hail the Awolowoian students! Smartest people on earth!)
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by aenero(m): 10:49pm On May 13, 2013
My idea of development is where there is no much importance to religion including christianity and expecially the lawlessness of sharia,i.e development.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 13, 2013
Building structures are part of development, so it should be included in ur definition. Bt come to tink of it, development is so vast dat most times we shouldn't blame govt for nt doin all. Every1 has a part 2 play. Reacting to Akwa-ibom state, i tink ur wrong @op. Citizens of Akwa-ibom are not poor unless u don't have a real tin ur doing. So don't generalize ur wrong assumption.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 13, 2013
princeking2: Building structures are part of development, so it should be included in ur definition. Bt come to tink of it, development is so vast dat most times we shouldn't blame govt for nt doin all. Every1 has a part 2 play. Reacting to Akwa-ibom state, i tink ur wrong @op. Citizens of Akwa-ibom are not poor unless u don't have a real tin ur doing. So don't generalize ur wrong assumption.
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by free2ryhme: 10:56pm On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva: [size=14pt]I’ve been thinking of what the universal definition of development is and have tried to juxtapose it with the definition of development to the average Nigeria and there seems to be some disparity. In other parts of the world, development is often used to describe a general appreciation of infrastructure and the people who use the infrastructure but here in Nigeria, the former seems to be the most accepted definition. Could we be getting all wrong in our quest to develop our country?

Just to expatiate on this topic, I’ve noticed that governors who are termed to be working are those who have erected gargantuan structures that are evident to the eye of the citizenry. Meaning, if the governor of Ebonyi state can erect the tallest building in Nigeria today, he will win many awards and be praised by Nigerians yet this skyscraper will have no direct positive consequence on the average Ebonyi resident.

On the other hand, if a government decides to spend money on different forms of education (not necessarily by building MEGA schools) which will develop the mindset of the average citizenry, as long as there’s no quick physical evidence of this, the governor is not termed to be working.

Are we not getting our priorities wrong? Cos it seems what the governors are doing is urbanization rather than development. If you go to Akwa Ibom state for example, despite the fact that the governor is praised for building gigantic structures, the average citizen of that state is poor and cannot relate with what is available in that state
[/size]

do you expect development to take place in a dirty and ugly environment.. once the infrastructures are in place it will attract investors. Op first impression matters ...
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by okemmadu(m): 10:56pm On May 13, 2013
1. The systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge to meet specific objectives or requirements.
2. An extension of the theoretical or practical aspects of a concept, design, discovery, or invention.
3. The process of economic and social transformation that is based on complex cultural and environmental factors and their interactions.
4. The process of adding improvements to a parcel of land, such as grading, subdivisions, drainage, access, roads, utilities.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/development.html#ixzz2TFAbA0d0
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by YoshiMaster: 11:00pm On May 13, 2013
You guys are talking about development, and we still have policy enabling Youth Corpers to shape the minds of young students, isn't that quite insane?

Shouldn't we be looking for the best instructors for our students, and then they will turn around and say that failure rates for exams are high.

Tell me when and where the Youth Corper got his certification in teaching.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 11:00pm On May 13, 2013
free2ryhme:

do you expect development to take place in a dirty and ugly environment.. once the infrastructures are in place it will attract investors. Op first impression matters ...
Why not make the locals investors rather than expecting foreigners. Nigerians alone are capable of taking the country to greater heights then foreigners seeing the prospects will now come in.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by ZeusI: 11:03pm On May 13, 2013
A lengthy speech, pre-exposition and self- neglect there. As for the question, "Developement is a 'Sophistication of good and evil'.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by chaloner(m): 11:04pm On May 13, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
You guys are talking about development, and we still have policy enabling Youth Corpers to shape the minds of young students, isn't that quite insane?

Shouldn't we be looking for the best instructors for our students, and then they will turn around and say that failure rates for exams are high.

i love you...our country sometimes reason like what i dont know.... integration my foot.....
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by ayox2003: 11:18pm On May 13, 2013
One_Naira: Human Development Index is what I use to classify whose develop and whose not. I do not look at GDP in regards to development. For example: Nigeria is the second or is it the third GDP in the entire Africa but yet it rank so low in HDI. What is the use of having so much money if the people are not enjoying it? superficial stuff like roads, malls, etc to me is a waste of money. Until the indigenous can claim they have plenty food that they waste away, roof over their head, good living standard, constant electricity, good water, literacy, etc then that's when the superficial stuff can come into play. That is one of the reason I cannot stand Nigerian governors and why I stand in awe in the praising Nigerians give them when they build all this superficial stuff and disregard the main thing that matters: HDI.

Need I say more?

Frawzey
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Joeblis(m): 11:19pm On May 13, 2013
Development is when someone goes to the bathroom to bath and on the showers,not looking for mairuwa or trecking miles to fetch water.
Development is when after saving my ass to buy a sweet car, ride em on a sweet and tidy road not riding them "on road the to hell fire"the nigerian road.
Development is when i dont need to spend 70% of my income buying fuel.
Development is when i dont need to fence my house like a prison yard due to lack of security..
Develepment is when with just lil cash on me i can geta beter health care..for God sake this are fundemental human rights no matter how misreable and corrupt your govt are they dont have any silly excuse for failing to providing this thing.
Unfornatley nigeria is 1,000,000 light years from this,thats the reality on ground.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by redsun(m): 11:23pm On May 13, 2013
Development is more of mental uplifting than physical.True knowledge is power and when you have it,everything you need comes with it.

Africans are mentally brainwashed to think that they are knowledgeable by mere reading and writing oyinbo ways.Yet the leaders(the educated) don't understand the rational behind keeping the streets clean.Understanding the simple things are the keys to solving the big problems.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by YoshiMaster: 11:37pm On May 13, 2013
chaloner:
i love you...our country sometimes reason like what i dont know.... integration my foot.....

lol, just backwards thinking.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by badmeat(m): 11:50pm On May 13, 2013
I carefully read thru all comments!development can only be achieved thru civilised minds,if u r not civilised no mater d level of education u can't develop,there r ancient civilisations in d past dat developed!so until we harness our own civilisation we cany develope on a copy cat prototype!
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by badmeat(m): 11:50pm On May 13, 2013
I carefully read thru all comments!development can only be achieved thru civilised minds,if u r not civilised no mater d level of education u can't develop,there r ancient civilisations in d past dat developed!so until we harness our own civilisation we cany develope on a copy cat prototype!sad

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Afam4eva(m): 11:52pm On May 13, 2013
bad meat: I carefully read thru all comments!development can only be achieved thru civilised minds,if u r not civilised no mater d level of education u can't develop,there r ancient civilisations in d past dat developed!so until we harness our own civilisation we cany develope on a copy cat prototype!
+1000
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Curiouscity(m): 11:57pm On May 13, 2013
Very good and thought provoking topic!!

@Afam4eva, U are very correct in your assertions, but the masses or beneficiaries of the human development have to make good use of the opportunities. It is true that all the states in Nigeria are guilty of the example U cited of AKS. But let me say that the previous and present governors in Akwa Ibom are doing some human developments. In 2005/2006 the state sent about 60 graduates to Canada to study various aspects of ICT. The person(s) who handled that program short-changed those trainees. None of them has/will come back to the state. In 2006/2007, the government sent about 50 graduates to study for their MSc/PhD in their different fields in order to come back and serve in the state university which started lectures in 2009.The present governor continued paying for their studies, even when the program was initiated by previous administration. Most of those people who are done with their PhD's are yet to report back to the state. Will the government be encouraged to continue. Nearly all the staff employed in AKS airport were trained by the state.
Sorry, I am not holding brief for the loquacious governor, but just wanted to be objective and correct some facts.

I think what Nigeria needs is a government that can provide the basic amenities like power and security. Development is not the task of government alone. If these things are in place and the private sector is very vibrant, then development will be rapid and all round. We now that in a vibrant economy, the private sector employs more people that government.

Another thing is like someone said above, we must learn how to give back to the society. Community volunteering is alien to us. Everyone waits for the government to do everything. How many schools have Parent-Teachers-Associations that lobby the government to provide books/equipments to their schools? Instead of working for general good, they open private schools and pay teachers peanuts.

We need to change our attitude if we must enjoy real development!!
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Curiouscity(m): 12:05am On May 14, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Guy, maybe today's corpers. I have a personal testimony of how a corper turned me from a D student in Maths into an A student. Not only me, but my entire class. He thought Physics and Maths, he made us to know that the secret of knowing Maths is solving Maths everyday. Till now, I and a colleague are still in correspondence with students we taught 10yrs ago during our NYSC.
I think corpers today are keying into the mad rush for money and materialism that has engulf our society like wild fire. They have lost focus!!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by slimfit1(m): 12:06am On May 14, 2013
asha 80: it is in nigeria that you here people criticizing govt for not building industries as if that is the work of govt.

You are right but when government are not proving facilities for businesses to start up nothing will chage
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by redsun(m): 12:12am On May 14, 2013
Curious_city:

Guy, maybe today's corpers. I have a personal testimony of how a corper turned me from a D student in Maths into an A student. Not only me, but my entire class. He thought Physics and Maths, he made us to know that the secret of knowing Maths is solving Maths everyday. Till now, I and a colleague are still in correspondence with students we taught 10yrs ago during our NYSC.
I think corpers today are keying into the mad rush for money and materialism that has engulf our society like wild fire. They have lost focus!!

You are talking of corpers that bought their certificates by bribing lecturers as the case maybe these days in nigeria.Education in nigeria is for the sake of it,not for mental upliftment that sets people free.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by CROWE: 12:13am On May 14, 2013
Nigeria's problem is not corruption, corruption is a symptom. The constitution has more power over us than I you know, the document is impractical and flawed in its very foundation and fails to properly define many things, with the acceptance of the 1999 constitution into law we were guaranteed to be were we are today.

Nigeria has two root problems, both caused by the constitution.

1: Revenue allocation system: The system of putting all our monies in the national account and sharing it completely makes doing bases at the state level impossible, this is state communism and communism doesn't work, if every state is entitled to what they make then they can succeed but not under the current system. let me explain further, if the federal government takes 50% of the money(i know they take even more) and share the other 50 across the rest of the states each states has control over 1/36 x 50% of monies, that is 1.38%. Each state governor on average is in control of 1.4% of his states financial destiny. It cannot be said that the governor is in control and the other people who have over 90% of the control are not interested, developing our states will never happen and the states are 99.23% of the country, that is more or less everything so power over our states is given to people whom are constitutionally guaranteed to not care about them, how can we develop.

2: Poor implementation of federalism, basically the regional governments depend too much on the central government and cannot do their jobs effectively, this in connection with the first is why public infrastructure goes to waste, because the states cannot afford to maintain them. Since the states are heavily dependent on the centre they mostly lose the ability to govern and the entire federal government is undermined.

So you see, the system in itself does not work and things like corruption begin to set in, if we but redo our constitution from the ground up we will in one move eradicate 70-80 % of Nigeria's problems. The nation should be ruled by the states and not the central government.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Curiouscity(m): 12:22am On May 14, 2013
redsun:

You are talking of corpers that bought their certificates by bribing lecturers as the case maybe these days in nigeria.Education in nigeria is for the sake of it,not for mental upliftment that sets people free.

Is it myself or the corper that taught me Maths that you are referring to? Please clarify your first statement.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 12:28am On May 14, 2013
Development has to be both socio-economical and physical. A populace with a high standard of living, and low cost of living are definitely more developed than the opposite with gigantic physical infrastructure.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Nobody: 12:35am On May 14, 2013
Development is simply, GROWTH IN INFRASTRUCTURE AND WELFARE.

its not limited to that but that is a major benchmark.
other benchmarks are;
financial growth,
social Justice and equity

and so many more.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by manny4life(m): 1:44am On May 14, 2013
@Afam,

Though I quite agree with most of what you've said, growth and development work hand in hand. Development is the added incentive to aid the growth. Just like you said, development (spending in schools) maybe termed "social growth", however, you still need positive "PHYSICAL" development in the education such as school structures equipped prolly with tools, resources, equipments, books, etc. Regardless of how much you spend on different types of education, if there aren't physical developments to aid that growth model, it won't be sustainable. This is why India is growing in IT today, most of U.S. IT services are outsourced. So yes, it doesn't have to be "MEGA SCHOOLS", but a conducive learning environment and equipped with necessary tools and resources will help your growth in education. Also keep in mind that there are different types of developments.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by ozodimgba(m): 1:51am On May 14, 2013
Development is multi dimensional, it can be political, social, infrstructural or economical. Development, be it as it may, wether political, social, infrastructural or economical is defined based on the direct positive impact it has on the majority of the citizens.
Re: What Is Your Definition Of Development? by Originalsly: 5:12am On May 14, 2013
My definition of development is the improvement of the standard of living of the citizens. This depends greatly on the provision of infrastructure ...good roads, reliable and constant supply of electricity and water...security in terms of police..health, education and employment.Large fancy buildings are more about modernization rather than development.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: I Will Contest For Presidency Even Without Zoning– Anyim / If This Is True, Tinubu Should Forget About Becoming PRESIDENT / Plateau: Ex Mangu LG Workers Vow To Work Against PDP's Candidate, Caleb Mutfwang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.