Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush (19903 Views)

Troops Ambush Boko Haram Terrorists Escaping Sambisa Forest (PHOTOS) / SSS Operatives, Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyers, Family Members Clash In Court. / BREAKING: SSS Operatives Surround Ex-nsa Sambo Dasuki’s Houses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 7:56am On May 09, 2013

Nasarawa State Governor,
Alhaji Tanko Al-Makura, and his Benue State counterpart, Mr. Gabriel Suswam, were at the State House yesterday to seek
the federal government’s
assistance in tackling the security crises in their
states.

There have been tensions
in the two states following
attacks by members of a
militant group and Fulani
herdsmen during which
over 20 policemen were killed in Nasarawa State and scores of others in Benue State.

The two governors briefed
Vice-President Namadi Sambo on security situations in their
respective states and urged the federal government to urgently
step in.

Al-Makura told reporters after his meeting with the vice-president, the policemen were waylaid and killed on Tuesday by
cultists known as the Ombatse militia group at Alakio village, about 10 km from Lafia, the state
capital.

He said the policemen were part of a contingent drafted to the state to dislodge the group that has been trying to destabilise
the government of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in the state.

According to him, the essence of the briefing is to seek the assistance of the federal government in curtailing the activities of the group, which the state government had a year ago
dislodged before they re-
surfaced about a fortnight ago.

Al-Makura said: “Just yesterday(Tuesday), we
had a very bitter security
problem that caused the death of some security officers in the state.

“This is a situation that isso grave and I feel it is very important that I come to brief the vice-president about the security situation and to seek assistance so that we can handle the
matter once and for all.

“Already, the group from
Eggon extraction called Ombatse has been proscribed since the beginning of this year
because of the activities of
the members. They go from one place to another, harbouring arms, attacking any area that has any conflict with any of their
members. The group is
banned and its members are those causing this problem in the state and we feel it is necessary to bring this to the notice of the federal government.

“Before now, there were
one or two arrests. But as a result of yesterday's (Tuesday) event, I am yet to be briefed on the number of arrests that
have been made. Already,
I learnt that security operatives are making arrangements to see how they can contain the
situation. It is on that
point that I will know how
many arrests have been
made.”
He said the state government thought it had subdued the group about a year ago only for it to resurface and resume
hostilities by attacking and
forcibly initiating people
from their tribal group into
their rank.

He said: “Two weeks ago,
we discovered a certain
militia group holding arms
and carrying out cultist
activities in the state. Since
January, this thing has not
abated and in the past two
weeks, it took a total different dimension.

“We decided to hold a
security meeting to find a
way of solving the
problem. The solution was
to go to the shrine and
pick on the cult leader so
that the problem will be
solved once and for all.
“As security operatives
were approaching the
shrine, unknown to them
that ambush had been laid
for them, these people
attacked them and this
resulted in the death of
more than 20 policemen.”
He pledged that his
administration would assist
“victims of the attacks,
those who are security
operatives and those who
are not. We will see how
we can assist their
families.”

Al-Makura’s counterpart in
Benue who also briefed
State House reporters after
his meeting with Sambo
said the state needed the
help of the federal
government to tackle the
insecurity in the area.
Suswam told the reporters
that scores of people,
including of women and
children, were killed and
property worth millions of
naira destroyed in a clash
between Fulani herdsmen
and farmers in Agatu Local
Government Area of the
state.
Although he did not put a
number to the casualties of
the crisis, the governor
said 10 of the attackers,
along with heavy weapons
and many rounds of
ammunition, were nabbed
by the combined task force
of the police the army and
the State Security Service
(SSS) operatives.
He lamented the incident,
adding that proactive
measures must be taken to
check the upsurge of
violence sweeping through
the country.
He explained that during
his meeting with Sambo,
they agreed on the need
for a national conference
to resolve the matter.
“I came to brief the vice-
president on the security
situation in Benue. You
must have heard that there
are serious altercation
between the Fulani and the
local farmers. This time it
happened in Agatu Local
Government, which is one
of the local government
areas that the Senate
president represents, they
almost overrun the local
government, and there
were a lot of killings a lot
of property destroyed.
“I felt that I should come
to brief the vice-president
who is holding forte for
the president and I also
discussed other sundry
issues that relate to the
general security situation
in the country.”

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/20-policemen-scores-of-others-killed-in-nasarawa-benue/147106/
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by giles14(m): 7:58am On May 09, 2013
ar we sur it's d eggon people or som boko haram elements,wel another baga drama on d way
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by hollypagan: 8:05am On May 09, 2013
matoskydpg: Indeed, we will wait for confirmation otherwise, it will be the beginning of fresh trouble in Nasarawa State
and you will do what?

1 Like

Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by ezeuba(m): 8:13am On May 09, 2013
13volts: More Than 20 Policemen & 10 SSS Operatives Feared Death In Nassarawa Ambush

Its not on the news yet but I can authoritatively confirm that the AC OPERATIONS, AC CID & OC SARS and a doven of policemen alongside some SSS Operatives are feared Death after their convey was ambush inside the jungle of Nassarawa Eggon area.

According to my source, the convey went into a village located deep inside Eggon tribe to effect arrest of a suspected arms dealer and a traditional witch doctor who are fueling the land dispute btw Eggon tribe & Mada tribe in Nassarawa state. However it was suspected that some one might have tip the Eggon people of the inpending raid, of which an ambush was laid resulting in the death of many.

This is surely one of the darkest period in Nigeria police history.
How can one start to lend any credence to this story when the writer cannot get his grammar right... makes my eyes water to read this junk... try, just try and justify the money your benefactors must have spent on your education...
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by SherlockHolmes1(m): 8:15am On May 09, 2013
Drbet: Police men and armies can die , even naval officials can die ,who cares ?. They have been paid to die . It is we civilians that I don't want any of us to die that way .
We are the one paying the tax that is paying their salary because after the baga incident . I am not sure if i can trust those sss anymore and their have been some rumors that they have been good at killing civilians claiming they are boko's

be very prayerful that none of your relatives join the forces cos you have indirectly wished their death.
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by tomber(m): 8:16am On May 09, 2013
wordsmith99:

why not contextualize the term "enemies of the state". In this context, who constitutes enemies of the state? How many Nigerians in core North have dead courtesy of military bullets? How many Nigerians have been rendered homeless courtesy of military expedition? What's d difference between Boko Haram and military operatives? Was it Boko Haram that killed denizens of Baga? What you must fathom is, Nigeria's military doesn't understand d term "strategy and intelligence"

Hw will strategy&intelligence work when apologist in d intelligence outfit from the north have mouth diarrhea
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by sadlas(m): 8:29am On May 09, 2013
ezeuba:
How can one start to lend any credence to this story when the writer cannot get his grammar right... makes my eyes water to read this junk... try, just try and justify the money your benefactors must have spent on your education...
Well done mr know all.d O.P. Wants u 2 understand what he has written,since it is not ur M's tongue.GBAM
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by hardbody: 8:33am On May 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The Op is probably right because I just heard a similar news report on Channelstv. But the difference is that Channels reported that about 20 police officers died in the incident. But why is the police so vulnerable?

Sad to say they are this vulnerable because of a number of reasons:

1. They are ill-trained and ill-equipped
2. They are very conscious of the N20 that they are always collecting and in that process they have stopped being vigilant and alert to signals within and outside their environment
3. The average policeman is so corrupt that their conscience has become seared and burnt. They can kill for no reason and have severally killed for no justifiable reason. If they see you with a substantial sum of money, they will kill you and take the money and brand you a robber. Nemesis does not joke at all.
4. Because of their criminal tendencies, majority of Nigerians are continually on a daily basis wishing them evil. Remember vox populei vox dei (The voice of the people is the voice of God)

There are several other reasons why they will remain vulnerable, but let me stop at these four (4).

3 Likes

Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by hardbody: 8:35am On May 09, 2013
ezeuba:

I am all for good grammatical construction, but i do not see the relationship between veracity of a story and the grammatical content. Has he passed a message, to my mind, YES. Has he communicated?, to my mind YES. His bad 'written' grammar is secondary.

1 Like

Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by hardbody: 8:43am On May 09, 2013
imperiouxx: Wat! Nasarawa don turn to Hollywood. 20 askari, 10 SSS lost just in a day? Those people set a record. Soon people will start crying baga, baga again.... Sebi na one soldier life in baga, soldiers exchanged for 180+ lives. May be this will cost the whole town and it's environs. Let's wait and see.

Guy your calculation is wrong. A 100 police men and more cannot equal 1 military man. so nothing of that sort will happen. To the average policeman life is cheap and they use the same parametre to gauge their own lives too. So If you like, kill all policemen or nearly all, the remaining ones will only scamper for safety. They are not loyal to their cause and call.
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by bykes(m): 8:44am On May 09, 2013
Gej should declare state of emergency in the north ASAP
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 8:52am On May 09, 2013
This is serious, and from what i heard the casualty figure is more than hundred dead. And im very sure we'll witness another massacre by our security operatives. Since thats only what they know how to do (killing innocent denizens)
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Abrakhan: 9:05am On May 09, 2013
brownlord: What are they looking for in Northern Nigeria Nigerien
They are on Ecowas Mission. Huh?
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 9:11am On May 09, 2013
wordsmith99:

why not contextualize the term "enemies of the state". In this context, who constitutes enemies of the state? How many Nigerians in core North have dead courtesy of military bullets? How many Nigerians have been rendered homeless courtesy of military expedition? What's d difference between Boko Haram and military operatives? Was it Boko Haram that killed denizens of Baga? What you must fathom is, Nigeria's military doesn't understand d term "strategy and intelligence"

Its you that understood military strategy and intelligence. Which military training do you know or have? Don't just
run your mouth any how when the unfortunate happens.
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by dramendra: 9:12am On May 09, 2013
Jan koller.:

do you realy know the meaning of the word "ambush"?

Ambush my foot! Are the guys and the witch doctor supposed to stand on the road for them to be arrested? Is it an amnesty program?
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 9:12am On May 09, 2013
This is very sad. Life has become so cheap in Nigeria that [b]20 policemen and 10 sss men [/b]are wasted in just I day. Chai! Are we not in a war? Mehn, looking for the fastest route out of this country
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by anaying419: 9:19am On May 09, 2013
[quote author=Drbet][color=#990000][b]Police men and armies can die , even naval officials can die ,who cares ?. They have been paid to die . It is we civilians that I don't want any of us to die that way .
We are the one paying the tax that is paying their salary because after the baga incident . I am not sure if i can trust those sss anymore and their have been some rumors that they have been good at killing civilians claiming they are boko's
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 9:26am On May 09, 2013
Why is life so cheap in Nigeria?

Does anyone know what grievance the Eggon people have against our security forces?

Bloodbath In Nasarawa: 90 Killed As Militiamen Ambush Policemen
Over 90 people were feared killed yesterday in a gun duel involving security operatives and members of the Eggon militia group, Ombatse, in Alakyo village of Lafia East development area of Nasarawa State. The operatives had been drafted there to arrest the leader of the group, Baba Alakyo, and recover arms said to be in his possession.

Of the 11 trucks of security men deployed to the area, only two returned safely to Lafia with only 20 policemen, nine of whom received different degrees of gunshot wounds. One of those killed include an assistant commissioner of police, Momoh, who led the team; some officers of the State Security Service (SSS) and about 15 Civil Defence Corps officers.
Source
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by dtemidare: 9:27am On May 09, 2013
Drbet: Police men and armies can die , even naval officials can die ,who cares ?. They have been paid to die . It is we civilians that I don't want any of us to die that way .

Source pls. Unguarded statements such as yours are only aimed at disparaging the eFforts of security agencies. Go and live in the north, see what the BH guys are doing, I wonder if you will seat in the comfort of your home and post rubbish on this platform. Those security agents have families like urs trying to make the country a habitable place for everyone. Haba my friend Be constructive in ur criticisms.
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Livinusc(m): 9:33am On May 09, 2013
Osama10: More wahala everyday.
Na waaoooo,dis is 2 much nah.
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 9:37am On May 09, 2013
Right, I see Eggon militias has been quite busy.
Anyone care to shed any more light on the objectives of this group?

Nigeria: How Blood Flowed Instead of Water At Nasarawa University
BY HIR JOSEPH, 2 MARCH 2013

The soldiers first arrived in three new trucks recently donated by the state government to stem crisis between the Fulani and Eggon militia groups," a student said.
Source

Kwandere crisis: Police confirm three dead, arrest six
POSTED ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH, 2013
Three persons have been confirmed dead while six others have been arrested by the Nasarawa State command of the Nigeria Police for their involvement in the attack on Kwandere, the home town of the state governor, Umaru Al-Makura.

The attack was carried out by suspected Eggon militia
Source

Youth leader accuses Eggon of fuelling crisis in Nasarawa
IGBAWASE UKUMBA 08/02/2012 11:40:00
The president who made the accusation in a petition addressed to Governor Tanko Al-Makura and the state Commissioner of Police, security agencies, including Chairman of the state Traditional Rulers Council and Emir of Lafia, Alhaji Dr. Isa Mustapha Agwai, lgbacher said the war against them was not only from the Fulani, but also the Eggon. According to him, it is alleged that on January 29, 2012, four heavily armed men of Eggon origin, in company of a Fulani, attacked and kidnapped one Timve Asagh while he was on the farm at Angwan Yara with his two other siblings. On January 31, the two brothers went back to their farm in search of the missing Timve and were again attacked. Also in the same area, the personal belongings of Timve were discovered hanging from a tree.
Source
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by dtemidare: 9:38am On May 09, 2013
Wisdytech: A whole SSS operativeS? Cant overcome An Ambush, so Na AmBOKO HARAM UNA GO FIT! SHA AM so Sad here! Dat 9ja no longer have who to Represent them When in VIOLENT!

Always get your facts in hand before commenting. That's what a rational human being does. Evryone is just without commenting without facts, I have read it all. We seem to be misguided by the insufficient information provided to us by the socalled nairalander Volts. Humans beings thinks but you guys are not thinking at all read in betwenn the lines. Its all there for you too see but guys can't just see it. Smh Nigerians
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by victorD3: 9:38am On May 09, 2013
Trust Nigeria those guys must pay
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by dramendra: 9:40am On May 09, 2013
This just occurred to me, what is sambo the vice president doing? When Joe was the vice the Niger Delta people were granted amnesty, so the Northeners should not only wait till they are president before something can be don to the insecurity in the north... Sombody tell Buhari please.....
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by steffans(m): 9:43am On May 09, 2013
The story is Soooo TRUE cuz I knw some of d SSS guys killed....

By d way... Its an Oracle killing ppl...
Some Military ppl we're kiLled too some days ago...

Its jst 4 prayers...
Eggon ppl are very strong wen it comes to withcraft and d likes!!!!
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 9:46am On May 09, 2013
The Eggon militia outfit is really a prayer group?
Someone please clarify!!!

We are not militias, we are a prayer group – Ombatse cult

DECEMBER 22, 2012
By ABEL DANIEL

The OMBATSE traditional prayer group of Eggon people of Nasarawa state has been described by other ethnic groups in the state as a militia group which is being linked with the crisis that has bedeviled the state in recent times. In this interview with Zachary Zamani Allumaga, our correspondent in Lafia, ABEL DANIEL seeks to unravel the secret behind the OMBATSE group and their activities.

The ombatse group has been linked by many to a militia group in Nasarawa state, how would you react to that?
When you find such violence involving Eggon people in the state particularly the southern senatorial zone of Nasarawa state, it means their population is very much. I want you to understand that violence is one of those things that is not acceptable to azhili. But putting azhili aside, all Eggon indigenes are not members of ombatse group.

As it is normal to find Christians and muslims in any society in Nigeria, the same applies to Eggon people in Nasarawa state who might be members of azhili. I don’t think if a Christian or a muslim is caught in any crime, then such Christian or muslim was sent or represents the church or the mosque? The same thing is what is happening. According to the Police, they have arrested over 19 suspects in connection with the recent Agharagu feud. Let them carefully carry out their investigation and tell us if any Eggon person who is involved will claim he is from ombatse or whether ombatse sent them to go and fight.

The reason why there is serious animosity against the ombatse group is simply because they are aware that we went to azhili and prayed for the political landscape of Nasarawa state to change for good, and indeed it changed. Our prayer is working. As 2015 is approaching, we are aware that some people are planning to ensure the Eggon nation is dislodged from the political landscape of the state, so they call us all kinds of names so that they can hang us. But I can assure you, we are prepared to pray to azhili with all legitimacy. Sooner or later, everything will come out clear.

What happened at Nasarawa Eggon leading to road blockage was also connected to the azhili as an attempt to cause crisis that would cause bloodshed…?

Source
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 9:47am On May 09, 2013
steffans: The story is Soooo TRUE cuz I knw some of d SSS guys killed....

By d way... Its an Oracle killing ppl...
Some Military ppl we're kiLled too some days ago...

Its jst 4 prayers...
Eggon ppl are very strong wen it comes to withcraft and d likes!!!!

Care to elaborate on the emboldened portion of your post?
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by arantess: 9:51am On May 09, 2013
eGuerrilla: Why is life so cheap in Nigeria?

Does anyone know what grievance the Eggon people have against our security forces?

Source
according to ma guy at the yellow house, they had intelligence dat their targets would be armed and ready, but they probably didnt expect them to advance in time and in wait for them. they were warned but the state governor insisted the leader of the quasi-spiritual secret occult be arrested tuesday...the rest is history

1 Like

Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Nobody: 10:01am On May 09, 2013
Thanks @arantess.

I am trying to cure myself of ignorance relating to the needless loss of lives here.
On the surface, while it is clear Nasarawa has been experiencing insurrection for some time now, there is little information on the root cause.

Nasarawa Mayhem: Traditional Ruler Burnt Alive

He ran from Gidan Rai, in the neighbouring Doma Local Government Area, to take refuge in Agyaragu in the neighbouring Jenkwe, but Zhe Meri, the district head of Gidan Rai and his elder sister were roasted to death in a house where they have been taking refuge.

His keepers ran and escaped from the attack of Wednesday, by Ombatse, a spiritual group of Eggon people of Nasarawa State, whose members stormed Agyaragu and targeted residents of Koro people for killing and burning.

The deceased traditional ruler was trapped in the house, where he was burnt alongside his elder sister, displaced persons who returned to the town to speak to a team of government officials, led by the deputy governor, Dameshi Barua Luka, said.

Reporters were shown to the building, where the charred remains of the traditional rule’s corpse and that of his sister, were sighted at a corner of the burnt one-room apartment.

Smoke was still bellowed from the building, which was part of a large compound sacked by Ombatse.

The administrator of Jenkwe Development Area, Wuduyamba Agidi, who led the deputy governor round the now deserted town, confirmed that nine persons including children, were killed and their bodies burnt.

Death toll rises in Nasarawa mayhem
Death toll has continued to rise from the crisis-hit Agyaragu, at the outskirt of Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital, where arsonists stormed the town along Lafia-Makurdi Road, and unleashed violence for about 10 hours on Wednesday.

By early Thursday, when the state deputy governor, Dameshi Barau Luka, and Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Hamza Elayo as well as heads of security agencies in the state, paid a visit to the town, nine corpses including children were sighted at various points of the deserted town.

Most of the corpses sited had machete and axe cuts, and were burnt, either on streets or inside the many of the houses burnt down.
Source
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by arantess: 10:44am On May 09, 2013
eGuerrilla: Thanks @arantess.

I am trying to cure myself of ignorance relating to the needless loss of lives here.
On the surface, while it is clear Nasarawa has been experiencing insurrection for some time now, there is little information on the root cause.

Source
exactly....one cant really point a finger as to why
he said the operatives were severly shot and burnt along with 9 of the 11 vehicles, only the 2 made it out..he lost 10 of his colleaques n coursemates
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by steffans(m): 10:45am On May 09, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Care to elaborate on the emboldened portion of your post?

U can go to d state and enquire or ask ppl arund u dat knw d Eggon ppl...

Starting with marriage rites and d likes...
Re: Policemen & SSS Operatives Killed In Nasarawa Ambush by Yujin(m): 11:06am On May 09, 2013
RIP to the sacrificed security men. However, the Eggon people have been ret up here. The Ops brothers the welknown merchantsof death carried out the act and blame it on the Eggon7.
We are watching.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bayelsa Guber: Court Sacks APC Candidate, Sylva / Patience Jonathan Says "Wike Is Next Rivers Governor"! / Fulani Herdsmen Return To Nimbo In Enugu, Threaten To Unleash More Terror

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.