Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 (21181 Views)

ICC Prosecutor Visits Nigeria - Indicates Interest To Commence Investigation / Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date / Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Maxymilliano(m): 7:14am On May 09, 2013
• Security, economy and bilateral relations top agenda

At last the President of the United States, Barack Obama, would visit Nigeria on 28 May, 2013, as part of a three-nation tour of Africa, ending speculation of the Obama scorn with the flawed elections in 2007 that brought Umaru Yar’Adua to the Presidency.

Seen as long overdue but coming at a time when security is the number one item on the country’s agenda, the 44th President of the United States is expected to parley with President Jonathan on how to tackle the niggling problems of insecurity, the economy and trade relations between both nations. President Obama would be interested in hearing President’s Jonathan’s plan to control the Boko Haram insurgents who he plans to offered amnesty, even as the sect continues to slay hundreds in their quest to end western education in the country apart from kidnapping foreigners for ransom.

The growing bases of Al Quaeda, a long term enemy of America and its allies, along the Lake Chad region resulting from their recent dislodgement from Mali may find space on their agenda.

Both men are likely to contemplate the resurgence of Niger Delta militancy, which had simmered with the granting of amnesty by former President Yar’Adua. On the political side, they may weigh the propriety of a Jonathan candidacy in 2015 and the implications for democracy not only for Nigeria, but also for the African continent as well as the implication of good governance as exemplified by Nigeria for the stability of the sub-region. It is speculated that both presidents would broach issues on economic co-operation not least the upbeat forecasts of the emergence of Nigeria as an economic force, what with the country’s latitude for growth.

America would be interested in a partnership that would engender a favourable outcome for both countries whose bilateral trade hit $5 trillion in the first quarter of 2012.

It would be an opportunity for President Jonathan to engage Obama on the US exploitation of Shale gas projected to cut a quarter US imports of Nigeria’s oil by the end of the year. They could discuss how Nigeria can benefit from alternative energy programme of the United States. It would give President Jonathan a chance to see how the AGOA programme can be improved to favour Nigeria’s businesses, especially the SMEs.

Obama’s planned session with businessmen while in the country assures that there is yet scope for improving business and trade relations between both countries. Obama’s visit is believed to be five years late given that he was billed to have visited the country in his first term in office, especially when he visited other African countries, including Ghana, which is only 30 minutes away from Nigeria by flight.

Of that snob, Nobel Literature Prize winner, Professor Wole Soyinka, said, “If Obama decides to grace Nigeria with his presence, I will stone him. The message he is sending by going to Ghana is so obvious, is so brilliant that he must not render it flawed by coming to Nigeria any time soon.”

Kirk Leigh

http://mydailynewswatchng.com/2013/05/09/obama-visits-nigeria-may-28/

1 Like

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 7:58am On May 09, 2013
good move, GEJ weldone.. Chei!!! My sugar don finish, brb ., garri tins

6 Likes

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 8:12am On May 09, 2013
Mr Seun! I'm beginning to feel uneasy with rules listed above this sheet.

And back to the post.
It's a good thing that he has finally decided to visit Nigeria, but what I'm so afraid of, is the increase in the intensity of imperialism...

Why is he coming now that the bh are on the verge of cease fire? It's just a thought though.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by 1MCN: 8:22am On May 09, 2013
Chai, maybe Nigeria and Nigerians should just give this Jonathan guy a chance.
It's like he's the Nigerian President that enjoys the highest respect and goodwill from world biggest weights but yet scorned and stoned the most by even the least weight in his home country.
Could it be that his image launderers are untactful or that his image slaughterers are too mischievious? Perhaps only time will tell.
God bless Nigeria and Nigerians

20 Likes

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 8:27am On May 09, 2013
Wats gud abt him cumin to nigeria? I hate it wen nigerians start seeing d visit of anoda president like d visit of d promised messiah, and a trillion naira will be budgeted for his visit. Why ar we openly sayin we are incapable n we nid help? Is obama a messiah? Will jonathan be welcum wit so much pomp if he visits d US?

10 Likes

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Goddex: 8:33am On May 09, 2013
The persistent negative reports by our Nigerian press is just sickening. Fine, the Y'arAdua 2007 election was flawed but even YarAdua himself accepted that fact. GEJ did everything possible for the 2011 elections to be credible and the whole world acknowledged it. Instead of dwelling so much on 2007 flawed election why don't the report simply just celebrate the 2011 credible elections that have made Mr Obama to have a change of mind?

Besides, was it not just two months ago Obama visited Israel for the first time? A whole Israel! So, what does this writer mean by "his visit is 5yrs late"?

GEJ is working, the country is moving forward, haters are whining and derailing.

33 Likes

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by MrGlobe(m): 8:36am On May 09, 2013
emmysenior: Mr Seun! I'm beginning to feel uneasy with rules listed above this sheet.

And back to the post.
It's a good thing that he has finally decided to visit Nigeria, but what I'm so afraid of, is the increase in the intensity of imperialism...

Why is he coming now that the bh are on the verge of cease fire? It's just a thought though.
boko haram on the verge of cease fire? with the baga and Taraba stories? You people just find it great displaying ignorance on nairaland

4 Likes

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Maxymilliano(m): 8:40am On May 09, 2013
Maxymilliano:
Of that snob, Nobel Literature Prize winner, Professor Wole Soyinka, said, “If Obama decides to grace Nigeria with his presence, I will stone him. The message he is sending by going to Ghana is so obvious, is so brilliant that he must not render it flawed by coming to Nigeria any time soon.”
The message Obama sent by going Ghana in 2009 was according to you, so obvious Sir, and the message he's sending by his impending visit to the country is also obvious; simply put, the President is actually doing something worthwhile in steering the affairs of the country and coming a day before the country's 14 years of uninterrupted democracy experiment is just timely.

6 Likes

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 8:54am On May 09, 2013
now i am speechless, i just saw suen's commands! mtchew!
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Krasid(m): 9:07am On May 09, 2013
why did it take him so long?mtcheeeew
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by konn: 9:16am On May 09, 2013
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by israel007: 9:17am On May 09, 2013
If he doesn't cancel last minute because GEJ over slept. Who cares if he comes or not. Pretence
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by rozayx5(m): 9:18am On May 09, 2013
cool
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by dulphines: 9:22am On May 09, 2013
Obama is not coming!

1 Like

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by duality(m): 9:23am On May 09, 2013
some nairalanders were on rampage the other day, telling us that Obama will not visit Nigeria; because he hates the president and his administration.

or was it Bill gate they were talking about? No it was Obama. Anyway, must nairalanders speak so much on issues they know nothing about.
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Maxymilliano(m): 9:23am On May 09, 2013
Maxymilliano: Five African Leaders invited to the US without Nigeria.

US may cut off aid to Nigeria following the Presidential pardon granted to former Bayelsa State governor.

World Leaders May Ban Jonathan From G8 Summit.

Guess the story is changing now ...
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 9:25am On May 09, 2013
Some jonathan bootlickers will soon swarm here and call the visit an achievement.Obama visited Ghana over 4 years agao !
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by figment232(m): 9:26am On May 09, 2013
emmysenior: Mr Seun! I'm beginning to feel uneasy with rules listed above this sheet.

And back to the post.

Which ceasefire are you talking about?
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by 26yrs39trophies: 9:26am On May 09, 2013
and so what ?
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Frank3n2(m): 9:26am On May 09, 2013
if this happens, then it would foster the relationship of both countires, moreover i dnt feel the visitation would have any direct impact on the nigerian citizen.
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by tejpot(m): 9:27am On May 09, 2013
Pls check the tyre gauge of Airforce One well well o, no vulganizer for our air space, plenty hold up dey, and pot hole bukle. Na for ur own good o, safety journey!
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 9:27am On May 09, 2013
seun wetin be dis brochure wey i dey see on top post page? anyways make Obama branch reach my crib. i have some good shepe for him
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by DeHero1: 9:29am On May 09, 2013
So he's coming.... Thank God o

But can he stop the BH with his bare hands.... that's if he isn't kidnapped
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Macelliot(m): 9:31am On May 09, 2013
People keep saying TOMORROW will be better, but they never knew TODAY WAS YESTERDAY'S TOMORROW.
I don't hate Obama, but I hate his behaviour, habits and characters.

1 Like

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by adieora(f): 9:33am On May 09, 2013
Pls I doesn't know how to speak english. Wat does I do about it?
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 9:33am On May 09, 2013
wat is d tin abt dis no.17 law dat make u guys uncomfortable?
wen he said muslim, u shuld knw its both of d religions.
do they tell d rabbit where d carrot is b4 it finds it? huh undecided
c'mon guys...
Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by Nobody: 9:34am On May 09, 2013
undecided

1 Like

Re: Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 by BrutusOj(m): 9:35am On May 09, 2013
Krasid: why did it take him so long?mtcheeeew
Help me ask oo...He should stay away from us.we would be fine without them,God is our reedemer....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tompolo's Contract Remains Intact-New NIMASA Boss / Battle For Ministerial Appointments Rages As President Prepares Final List / Oyinlola And Senator Ademola Adeleke Unite After PDP National Convention(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.