Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,781 members, 7,955,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:34 PM

How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith (2880 Views)

Kaduna Refinery To End Fuel Scarcity In The North In 2 Weeks- NNPC / Dasuki Vows To Pacify North In 3 Weeks / Should Power Return To The North In 2015? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Nobody: 10:55am On May 15, 2013
Our Agenda Was to "Put The North in
Power" at all cost- Mr Harold Smith, British
Colonial Officer in Nigeria b4 & after
independence
The man Harold Smith is not new in
Nigerian history. Mr. Harold Smith was a
colonial officer posted to duty in Africa. He
served in many African countries including
Nigeria. As an insider in the British colonial
system, Mr. Smith has a lot of interesting
views and ideas to provide.He is one of
the architects of colonial foundation that
midwife Nigerian independence in 1960.
I met him in a meeting three weeks ago
where he opened up a bit about the
lingering problem in Africa especially;
Nigeria unbalanced protracted social
political situations. We asked if he could
make this known to the media. His
response was “I am in my 80s now; I have
agreed but in the past ‘they’ did not want
me to say anything, but now I don’t want
to go to my grave without telling the truth
about the atrocities perpetrated in Africa
by the colonialists.
Brothers and sisters; on Ben TV last
Thursday, Harold Smith was on a program
to reveal what went behind the scene
before the independence. The Oxford
University graduate had this to say about
his role in Nigeria pre and after
independence era.
‘Our agenda was to completely exploit
Africa. Nigeria was my duty post. When we
assessed Nigeria, this was what we found
in the southern region; strength,
intelligence, determination to succeed, well
established history, complex but focused
life style, great hope and aspirations… the
East is good in business and technology,
the west is good in administration and
commerce, law and medicine, but it was a
pity we planned our agenda to give power
“at all cost” to the northerner. They
seemed to be submissive and silly of a
kind. Our mission was accomplished by
destroying the opposition at all fronts. The
west led in the fight for the independence,
and was punished for asking for freedom.
They will not rule Nigeria!
Harold Smith confessed that the Census
results were announced before they were
counted. Despite seeing vast land with no
human but cattle in the north, we still gave
the north 55 million instead of 32 Million.
This was to be used to maintain their
majority votes and future power bid. He
stated that the West without Lagos was
the most populous in Nigeria at that time
but we ignored that. The north was
seriously encouraged to go into the
military. According to him, they believe
that the south may attend western
education, but future leaders will always
come from military background. Their
traditional rulers were to be made
influential and super human. The
northerners were given accelerated
promotions both in the military and civil
service to justify their superiority over the
south. Everything was to work against the
south. We truncated their good plan for
their future. “I was very sorry for the A.G;
it was a great party too much for African
standard. We planned to destroy Awolowo
and Azikwe well, the west and the east
and sowed a seed of discord among them”.
We tricked Azikwe into accepting to be
president having known that Balewa will be
the main man with power. Awolowo has to
go to jail to cripple his genius plans for a
greater Nigeria.
However, Harold Smith justified the British
agenda of colonialism in Nigeria, which he
believed was originally to help build Africa
after the ruins of slave trade, but lamented
that the British only looked after
themselves and not after Nigerian interest.
The British really let Nigeria down. When I
see Nigerian been accused of fraud and
from what I saw on the streets of Lagos;
the British were worst fraudsters.
Looking at the northern leaders now he
said, “If they have any agenda in Nigeria at
all, sadly it is only for the north, and
nothing for Nigeria. He stated that the
British look after the British people and
this is so all over the world. He said the
time has come now to see people of
intelligent minds with an open and
inclusive agenda for all Nigerians in
power…people who will really look after
Nigerians large population…but ”I still
curiously and sorrowfully see now that the
British has not let go of Nigeria…her
wealth,. her potentials, her future. He
opined that the Caucasian people now
assert themselves as the keeper of the
“New Age” keys. He therefore said that it
is only logical for Europeans to maintain
their position of power, scientific
superiority, economic exploitation, they
must continue to perpetuate their lies and
falsehoods and this is the most unkindest
cut of all in relation to Nigeria situation!
According to him, Nigeria, a great nation
was crippled not because of military juntas
or corrupt leaders alone but by the British
and American fear of Nigeria great future.
He confessed, “The fear of the place that
will be our ‘dumping ground’ really
occupied our minds”.
Some of the things he said were not new
to Nigerians or to the whole world but
hearing it from the horse’s mouth is quite
revealing and established more reality
zones. He finally submitted that the
colonial masters have caused havoc while
they were in Africa, and planted timed
bombs when they finally left. What we see
since independence, the administration of
new internal colonial masters by fellow
Nigerians holding sway in power is doing
more damage to Nigeria. Instead of
detonating the time bombs planted by the
British, the north is planting mines.
He added that ‘It was my duty to carry out
all of the above and I was loyal to my
country, Great Britain. Nigerians should try
to be loyal to their country leaders and
followers alike. Love your country. You
have got the potentials to be great again
and the whole world knows this’.
"I am sorry for the above evil done to
Nigeria. I can’t say sorry enough……" via
VANGUARD
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Nobody: 10:58am On May 15, 2013
I am no ethnic bigot, but tales of our history together would paint a clearer picture.

1 Like

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by readonenaire(m): 9:49pm On Jul 03, 2013
But why this revelation didn't make fp
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Ngwakwe: 10:20pm On Jul 03, 2013
Good to know that the Brits sowed this evil seed of lies and distrust between West and East.

Can we now learn and share our common destiny as we make giant strides in what we know how best to do; good administration, medicine, technology, business, commerce etc.

Let the Yorubas forget premeditating when and how to dispossess the Igbos of their investments in the South West.

We can together build a formidable Country knowing fully well that the enmity and distrust were virtual and not REAL.

We fight ferociously online but still live and work together in real life.

The lies that each Southern tribe want to dominate the other are all unfounded .

The same lies were used to force Ikwere to renounce their kinsmen and sobatage them during the civil war but today the same Igbos are great defenders of Nigerian President of Ijaw extraction.

Let there be peace

1 Like

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by ogb5(m): 10:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
we know this already.
That is why true census figures will continue to be a pipe dream.
Religion can also not be on the census questionnaire, else people will know the exact number of muslims and Christians in the country.

Only in Nigeria that the arid north is more populated than the forested south, all because the british choose to play with numbers prior to independence and made the northerners to troop into the army as if their lives depended on it
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by shrimati(m): 11:02pm On Jul 03, 2013
The problem really started in 1914 when we were forced together to be a country against our wish. The British knew they will find it easier to continue to rule Nigeria indirectly if the Northerners are in power so they structured Nigeria political system to favour North no wonder we never had a university graduate as president for over 45 years. Over the years when we had coups they knew about it but pretend to help us. They are part of our woes in this country.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Samxiulee: 11:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
55 million people in the north in the 50s,you guys have perfected the acts/arts of fallacy,if you don't want the people of SW to ally with the "core north"please come up a with a better story than that,SE and SS has being the major ally with the North from time,if ACN and CPC want to merge I honestly don't think we should fret about it,PDP should just perform better,clip the wings of the 1st lady and you all will be surprise that the SW will vote the same way they did in 2011 presidential election,they can be naïve but they are not morons.they might still vote APC for Governors but if Gej can have a change of heart and change his sycophantic advisers,they will definitely return him at the polls.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by delpee(f): 11:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
They succeeded in sowing seeds of discord but its up to us to dump tribal issues and mutual distrust. We can make our country great if we so decide.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Samxiulee: 12:28am On Jul 04, 2013
Am utterly against the unholy matrimony union of the north and southern Nigeria,I honestly think the core north would be better off with their beliefs and way of life,at the same time I Seriously don't belief Mr Harold Smith story,just didn't add up.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by pazienza(m): 12:40am On Jul 04, 2013
Tales by moonlight by Mr harlot *grins*. On republic of igboland,i stand. Let everybody answer im papa name,chikena!
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by dayokanu(m): 6:40am On Jul 04, 2013
Ngwakwe:
Let the Yorubas forget premeditating when and how to dispossess the Igbos of their investments in the South West.

Yorubas should stop talking about their ancestral homeland so what would Ibos give up to forge this unholy union?
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by dayokanu(m): 6:44am On Jul 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
Harold Smith confessed that the Census
results were announced before they were
counted. Despite seeing vast land with no
This was to be used to maintain their majority votes and future power bid. [size=14pt]
He
but we ignored that.[/size] The north was
seriously encouraged to go into the
military. According to him, they believe
that the south may attend western
education, but future leaders will always
come from military background. Their
traditional rulers were to be made
influential and super human. The
northerners were given accelerated
promotions both in the military and civil
service to justify their superiority over the
south. Everything was to work against the
south. We truncated their good plan for
their future. “I was very sorry for the A.G;
it was a great party too much for African
standard. We planned to destroy Awolowo
and Azikwe well, the west and the east
and sowed a seed of discord among them”.
[size=16pt]We tricked Azikwe into accepting to be
president having known that Balewa will be
the main man with power. Awolowo has to
go to jail to cripple his genius plans for a
greater Nigeria.[/size]

These quotes especially the bold shows that Azikwe was the pawn and mega fool in all of these.

What Awolowo saw sitting Azikwe was simply to blind to see he preffered to be the Northern boy boy
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by gbadexy(m): 7:20am On Jul 04, 2013
I think I believe this man.
He has good description of the various region and what really impressed ♍ƺ was his apt description of the northerners as submissive and silly.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Ngwakwe: 7:56am On Jul 04, 2013
I recently bought three plots of Land at Aba for my Children. If you wish I can sell one plot to you for a taste of good neigbourliness

dayokanu:

Yorubas should stop talking about their ancestral homeland so what would Ibos give up to forge this unholy union?

1 Like

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Willywilly4: 7:57am On Jul 04, 2013
dayokanu:
These quotes especially the bold shows that Azikwe was the pawn and mega fool in all of these.
What Awolowo saw sitting Azikwe was simply to blind to see he preffered to be the Northern boy boy
I'm not a fan of Azik, but Awolowo was the most blind Extra Idiiot for working as a loyal servant slave under Gen Gowon, a military dictator.

2 Likes

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by dayokanu(m): 7:59am On Jul 04, 2013
Ngwakwe: I recently bought three plots of Land at Aba for my Children. If you wish I can sell one plot to you for a taste of good neigbourliness

Give them to your brothers in the SW so they can relocate back home. Why are you ppl always sad when they mention going back home?

1 Like

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Ngwakwe: 8:11am On Jul 04, 2013
Why the ones in Lagos and not the ones America.

Why don't you tell your Esua brothers to stop selling their birthright to highest bidders.

dayokanu:

Give them to your brothers in the SW so they can relocate back home. Why are you ppl always sad when they mention going back home?
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by dayokanu(m): 8:31am On Jul 04, 2013
Ngwakwe: Why the ones in Lagos and not the ones America.

Why don't you tell your Esua brothers to stop selling their birthright to highest bidders.

If they see magas willing to pay they would sell when they know they cant carry the land back to their villages when Nigeria breaks. That means I get 60m for a land if small wahala happen and the buyers flee, I still get the land back with the property on it without refunding a dime of the 60m collected. How is that a bad deal for the sellers?

Its those buying those lands that are magas like they have not learnt from the abandoned property saga

Anyone in Nigeria buying highly prices properties outside his region and its not for business/income generation purposes Im sorry is a maga. The same Nigeria when someone small happens na to target foreigners be the first thing.

Hausas in Kano attack Sabongari, Ibos in Onitsha attack hausa quarters and some magas carry millions go buy property there

Read Below

One of us wanted to sell a house he spent above 20m to develop in Bauchi. No one opted to buy it. He begged his friend who is a native of the state and who can afford it. The man came to the house, went round and offered him N500k. Our brother thought he was joking. But the Alhaji meant it. He asked our brother, did you come to Bauchi with any land? He entered his car and zoomed off. Chai!

https://www.nairaland.com/858722/igboman-did-come-bauchi-land

Has land finished in Oyo State or the Southwest that I would go buy land in Nasarawa, Gombe or Umuahia?

Several of my townspeople during June 12 fled the North leaving all their property why didnt they stay in those places they built mansions? They were now back looking for their family houses

1 Like

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by tomakint: 8:33am On Jul 04, 2013
Bastaards! angry angry angry
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Built2last: 8:41am On Jul 04, 2013
Front page please..let the debate continue...tribal e-warriors should keep off...lets concentrate on the way forward.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Wendyslim(f): 8:52am On Jul 04, 2013
Dats just the truth,northerners are silly ,straight forward and dey do not know how to Hurd things. Dey are not the selfish type. Pls don't crucify me ooo cos am not a northerner but was born in the north.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Gbawe: 8:57am On Jul 04, 2013
Built2last: Front page please..let the debate continue...tribal e-warriors should keep off...lets concentrate on the way forward.

Dead topic. That we feel comfortable as 'victims' over actions taken many, many decades ago is ultimate proof we are not ready to focus on what matters and, consequently, take control of our own destiny decisively. Abeg, who is Harold effing Smith when, to the best of my knowledge, those who completely control the direction of Nigeria today ( i.e the Nigerian President, Governors, Senators, Reps ,Ministers, IGP police, armed forces bosses et al) are all Nigerians?

Have we all considered that we are obsessed with analysing, deifying and even revising history because it gives us an excuse for inactions, deficiencies and innate failings we fail to confront yet are inextricably linked to where we Nigerians are today? There is nothing done to us over 60 years ago we ourselves do not have the ability to have corrected/negated ,by now, to see us solidly on the path of greatness if indeed we are a focused, united and deliberate people who admit the truth to themselves.

2 Likes

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Ngwakwe: 9:36am On Jul 04, 2013
You have spoken like Esua in the Holy Book who thought he could regain his birthright after selling it.

Esua is yet to answer his fathers name.

Remember, it's God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacobs (Esua's name got missing in history)

Sooner or later those Magas will push your kinmen to live on top of water at the mercy of Fashola.

dayokanu:

If they see magas willing to pay they would sell when they know they cant carry the land back to their villages when Nigeria breaks. That means I get 60m for a land if small wahala happen and the buyers flee, I still get the land back with the property on it without refunding a dime of the 60m collected. How is that a bad deal for the sellers?

those buying those lands that are magas like they have not learnt from the abandoned property saga

Anyone in Nigeria buying highly prices properties outside his region and its not for business/income generation purposes Im sorry is a maga. The same Nigeria when someone small happens na to target foreigners be the first thing.

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 04, 2013
Wow, i thought this thread was going to die the usual death, thank God it was brought back to life, I would like the contributions of our very informed historians on NL before its turned into the usual ethnic fight
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 04, 2013
Obiagelli: . Despite seeing vast land with no
This was to be used to maintain their
majority votes and future power bid. He
but we ignored that.

funny how most of us claim to be smart and educated but still fall to fairy tales and lies; Nigeria's census figures in 1952/53 were as follows:

north: 16,835,582
east: 7,967,973
west: 6,352,472
total: 31,156,027

1963 figures were as follows:

north: 29,763,276
east: 12,394,463
west: 12,801,687
total: 54,959,426

so were on earth did this character come up with 55million for the north when Nigeria's total population at the time wasn't up to that?
are we so lazy these days we can't even do a little research?
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 04, 2013
torkaka:

funny how most of us claim to be smart and educated but still fall to fairy tales and lies; Nigeria's census figures in 1952/53 were as follows:

north: 16,835,582
east: 7,967,973
west: 6,352,472
total: 31,156,027

1963 figures were as follows:

north: 29,763,276
east: 12,394,463
west: 12,801,687
total: 54,959,426

so were on earth did this character come up with 55million for the north when Nigeria's total population at the time wasn't up to that?
are we so lazy these days we can't even do a little research?
Very good observation, that is why we need to all materials to the table for us to rewrite our own history.

But I won't totally disregard the whole article
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
Very good observation, that is why we need to all materials to the table for us to rewrite our own history.

But I won't totally disregard the whole article

the whole article is warped in lies to achieve a particular political point!!
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by ckkris: 10:16am On Jul 04, 2013
Willywilly4:
I'm not a fan of Azik, but Awolowo was the most blind Extra Idiiot for working as a loyal servant slave under Gen Gowon, a military dictator.
Hey! There're many Zikists, even on Nairaland.
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by eggheaders(m): 10:21am On Jul 04, 2013
Willywilly4:

when wilwily get sense na that day fowl go grow teeth.

1 Like

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by fr3do(m): 10:30am On Jul 04, 2013
Story story
are we the only colonized country?
We are in our current state not because of the brits nor the cia but because of the mentality of the average Nigerian.chop and clean mouth,bigotness,unpatriotism and so on.

1 Like

Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by fr3do(m): 10:38am On Jul 04, 2013
Gbawe:

Dead topic. That we feel comfortable as 'victims' over actions taken many, many decades ago is ultimate proof we are not ready to focus on what matters and, consequently, take control of our own destiny decisively. Abeg, who is Harold effing Smith when, to the best of my knowledge, those who completely control the direction of Nigeria today ( i.e the Nigerian President, Governors, Senators, Reps ,Ministers, IGP police, armed forces bosses et al) are all Nigerians?

Have we all considered that we are obsessed with analysing, deifying and even revising history because it gives us an excuse for inactions, deficiencies and innate failings we fail to confront yet are inextricably linked to where we Nigerians are today? There is nothing done to us over 60 years ago we ourselves do not have the ability to have corrected/negated ,by now, to see us solidly on the path of greatness if indeed we are a focused, united and deliberate people who admit the truth to themselves.

a million likes
Re: How The British Put The North In Power At All Cost- Mr Harold Smith by ckkris: 10:42am On Jul 04, 2013
torkaka:

where on earth did this character come up with 55million for the north when Nigeria's total population at the time wasn't up to that?
The Nigerian Military seem to have been working to correct these principles stated by Mr Smith. The Hausa/fulani generals created too many Local Govt Areas for the Hausa/fulani Core North, and planted it in the The Constitution as a no go area for amendments, in such a way that the Hausa/fulani gets most of Federal Revenue Allocations, and above all, have DISPROPORTIONATELY MORE REPRESENTATIVES in the National Assembly, so they can always out-vote the South. These are the Political Structures that Adamu Ciroma, Tanko Yakasai, et al, wrote very subtly, in an Advertorial in The Nation Newspaper, that they would make Nigeria UNGOVERNABLE if President Jonathan won in 2011, and tried to reform these unacceptable & unsustainable imbalances. They even wrote specifically that President Jonathan must not appoint Gen Azazi as Defense Minister. Now everyone can understand why Boko Haram is a very strong force. Kudos to the Armed Forces for containing all these contradictions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: Life In Lagos / Blame FG For Tanker Explosion – Governor Fashola / Build-up Nigeria Poll Win For GEJ Is A Scam! (proofs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.