Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,943 members, 7,838,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Polio Cases Double In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polio Cases Double In Nigeria (3650 Views)

El-Rufai Administers Polio Vaccine To His Son Today In Kaduna / WazobiaFM Journalists Arrested For Kano Polio Killings / Polio Vaccination Staff Killed In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 7:30pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

Sorry, the last time I checked. . . vaccinations are drugs/medication used to boost the immunity system. . .ma area of specialty remember? tongue   I know I am an olodo to you so let me give you proof! cheesy

Go and google it! cheesy

You're probably confused: here is what you googled - Vaccines are medications that are designed to stimulate the body's immune system to generate a response that will protect the individual from disease by the pathogen in question.

Here is what i wrote - a vaccine DOES NOT treat a disease but sensitizes the immune system to recognise a specific antigen. Immune memory from vaccines last a lifetime.

What is the difference between the two?

A vaccine is not a medication in that it is not the same thing as taking panadol for a headache. panadol does not generate an immune response to a specific antigen. A vaccine, unlike a drug/medication which are mostly ligands for cellular receptors, is a weakened version of an antigen that is recognised by T-cells which then induce lasting memory B-cells to generate an immediate immune response when next they come across that particular antigen.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 7:32pm On Apr 23, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

I acknowledge there are other factor involved in this, but I maintain sheer ignorance is the prevailing factor. bringing up a 1996 report is like an African American bringing up the case of Birmngham. That is in the past, it was recognized and it must have being taken well into account, so that it is not repeated. Even if they provide alternatives the ignorant northerner will always be the ignorant northerner - everly thinking the south is against them

Say what?

If you do not learn anything from history. . .then. . . you are heading into the abyss! Till today America still makes reference to the "Tuskegee Experiment"!  Just for ethical purposes to remind everyone that people can be dubious! Not to talk of something that happened in 1996 for a country that is just 47 years old!  So we should forget it?

The joys of the "Nigerian Educational System"!!! To cram, spit out and forget!

Uche2nna:

I don't think they are questioning the efficacy but they are definitely questioning the source grin

Simple!!!!

Gosh!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 7:33pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

You are missing the point. . . you need to look at the Nigerian environment and what is responsible for all this nonsense. I am not saying people should boycott the vaccination excercises. . .I would not blame them if they do. People are suspicious and if you do not educate them and reassure them that you can be trusted. . .I don't think they would let you inject them with eternal life!!!!!

For how long are we going to blame the government for the failures of a certain section of the country?
What sort of special education do they need that has not been done already?

If people are suspicious it is not because they have adequate proof . . . it is simply out of sheer ignorance.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 7:35pm On Apr 23, 2008
Uche2nna:

I don't think they are questioning the efficacy but they are definitely questioning the source grin
I think the excerpt below is telling:
Hard-line Nigerian Great Religious clerics called for the boycott, claiming an immunization campaign was part of a US.-led plot to render Great Ones infertile or infect them with AIDS.

@AJ

I hope say you never join RichyBlack in the University of Google,Wikipedia Campus. grin They will google something up instantly to pretend they know what they are talking.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 7:35pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Him:

You're probably confused: here is what you googled - Vaccines are medications that are designed to stimulate the body's immune system to generate a response that will protect the individual from disease by the pathogen in question.

Here is what i wrote - a vaccine DOES NOT treat a disease but sensitizes the immune system to recognise a specific antigen. Immune memory from vaccines last a lifetime.

What is the difference between the two?

A vaccine is not a medication in that it is not the same thing as taking panadol for a headache. panadol does not generate an immune response to a specific antigen. A vaccine, unlike a drug/medication which are mostly ligands for cellular receptors, is a weakened version of an antigen that is recognised by T-cells which then induce lasting memory B-cells to generate an immediate immune response when next they come across that particular antigen.

You are going into pharmaco-kinetics.  You said vaccines are not drugs and that was what alerted me.  I am not confused.  Medications do different things other than treat illness.  Which school you go sef? grin  Please stop disgracing me!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Play(m): 7:37pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

Simple!!!!
Gosh!

What great insight into the source(as una prefer am) of the polio vaccines do these degenerate Northern twats possess that nobody else possesses?
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 7:38pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

You are going into pharmaco-kinetics.  You said vaccines are not drugs and that was what alerted me.  I am not confused.  Medications do different things other than treat illness.  Which school you go sef? grin  Please stop disgracing me!

there is absolutely nothing pharmaco-kinetic there because you're not measuring drug dose or anything of that nature.

A vaccine is not considered a medication in the same group as your over the counter drugs. Finito!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by LASIEFAIRE(m): 7:41pm On Apr 23, 2008
That is the whole idea, learn from it and
almondjoy:

Say what?

If you do not learn anything from history. . .then. . . you ara heading into the abyss! Till today America still makes reference to the "Tuskegee Experiment"!  Just for ethical purposes to remind everyone that people can be dubious! Not to talk of something that happened in 1996 for a country that is just 47 years old!  So we should forget it?

The joys of the "Nigerian Educational System"!!! To cram, spit out and forget!

Simple!!!!

Gosh!

that is the whole idea - learn from it, not use it as a basis to reject. There are thousand of African America still surrendering theirselves as "guinea pigs." The difference btw the african american and those Northerner is the level of ignorance.
and i quote myself " that is in the past, it was recognized and must have being taken into account, so that it is not repeated again" I never said dont bring it up again, but bring it up as a reason to reject an immunization is as a result of Ignorance. Mind you we are only talking of about 30% of the Northerner, so what happened to the 70% who chose to get immunized.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 7:41pm On Apr 23, 2008
For almond's reading and learning pleasure:

Vaccination is the administration of antigenic material (the Vaccine) to produce immunity to a disease. Vaccines can prevent or ameliorate the effects of infection by a pathogen. It is considered to be the most effective and cost-effective method of preventing infectious diseases. The material administrated can either be live, but weakened forms of pathogens such as bacteria or viruses, killed or inactivated forms of these pathogens, or purified material such as proteins.

Now ma'am, what other medications are antigens?
Are your own tylenol tablets weakened forms of a pathogen?
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 7:46pm On Apr 23, 2008

Kobojunkie
Columbus, OH

Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria
« #16 on: Today at 06:51:04 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: 4 Him on Today at 06:43:24 PM
Again no excuse. Southern children are taking the same vaccines, when last did you hear of a polio case in the south?

Don't get me wrong,  you are right but she also has a point. I know, right?? with all I know of the government and how things have yet to get better,

I would hesitate at the thought of allowing even a Nigerian doctor giving me "life saving" medicine of any kind or even a Federal Ministry of Health official vaccinating me. Walahi!!! I would rather go cut gworo to eat!!!!LMAO!!!

I know in the case of the northerners, illiteracy on some level maybe involved but I have to say I understand where they may be coming from

I really had to laugh hard at this one. grin grin grin grin grin  I dey krase? shocked  Go to Nigeria to be vaccinated with some liquid that defies any "forensic scientific" method of identification? shocked

Error! Error! Error!

I think I would take ma chances with the damn polio.  At least one leg will remain for me to hobble around and beg all over Lagos and Abuja highways!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by LASIEFAIRE(m): 7:49pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

I really had to laugh hard at this one. grin grin grin grin grin I dey krase? shocked Go to Nigeria to be vaccinated with some liquid that defies any "forensic scientific" method?

I think I would take ma chances with the damn polio. At least one leg will remain for me to hobble around and beg all over Lagos and Abuja highways!

check you right hand just below your shoulders - you see that scar ,

yes that one! that is where you got vaccinated, and am sure it was done in Nigeria.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 7:50pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Play:

What great insight into the source(as una prefer am) of the polio vaccines do these degenerate Northern twats possess that nobody else possesses?

To be honest, I think it just borders on some sort of "the West vs  the Mu slim" thingy  shocked shocked shocked   Sound weird, right. They  have already had their minds educated towrds the idea that the west is anti-Is lam; they saw a possiblity to exploit that and they just took it.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 7:54pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Him:

For how long are we going to blame the government for the failures of a certain section of the country?
What sort of special education do they need that has not been done already?

If people are suspicious it is not because they have adequate proof . . . it is simply out of sheer ignorance.

When your government in Nigeria uses the money from its sale of oil to educate the citizenry to the point they are not superstitious at even the Pope's visit to Africa!  Special education?  None needed.  Just basic education about the dangers of tribalism and sectionalism!

4 Him:

For almond's reading and learning pleasure:

Vaccination is the administration of antigenic material (the Vaccine) to produce immunity to a disease. Vaccines can prevent or ameliorate the effects of infection by a pathogen. It is considered to be the most effective and cost-effective method of preventing infectious diseases. The material administrated can either be live, but weakened forms of pathogens such as bacteria or viruses, killed or inactivated forms of these pathogens, or purified material such as proteins.

Now ma'am, what other medications are antigens?
Are your own tylenol tablets weakened forms of a pathogen?

I am not arguing with the facts you have all there.  I just wanted you to know that vaccinces are medications or drugs designed to do a specific job. . . boost the immunity system. . . not cure a disease.   What other medications are antigens? Try hormonal drugs ok? wink
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 8:00pm On Apr 23, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

check you right hand just below your shoulders - you see that scar ,

yes that one! that is where you got vaccinated, and am sure it was done in Nigeria.

Great!  I will not try that nonsense now!  The ones on my body are the ones the white missionaries brought to Africa. . . while you guys were dashing them them Africa during the "Scramble and Partition" of Africa.  I say I will not try that rubbish now!

Uche2nna:

To be honest, I think it just borders on some sort of "the West vs  the Mu slim" thingy  shocked shocked shocked   Sound weird, right. They have already had their minds educated towrds the idea that the west is anti-Is lam; they saw a possiblity to exploit that and they just took it.

I hope 4 Him will realize this and channel the blame to the right sources.

LASIEFAIRE:

That is the whole idea, learn from it andthat is the whole idea - learn from it, not use it as a basis to reject. There are thousand of African America still surrendering theirselves as "guinea pigs." The difference between the african american and those Northerner is the level of ignorance.
and i quote myself " that is in the past, it was recognized and must have being taken into account, so that it is not repeated again" I never said don't bring it up again, but bring it up as a reason to reject an immunization is as a result of Ignorance. Mind you we are only talking of about 30% of the Northerner, so what happened to the 70% who chose to get immunized.

Is it only Northerners that are in Northern Nigeria?  African Americans as guinea pigs?  What are you talking about? undecided  The difference between the African American and the Northerner is the level of ignorance?  So who is more ignorant?  The guinea pig or the illiterate?

What exactly is your point?
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 8:03pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

When your government in Nigeria uses the money from its sale of oil to educate the citizenry to the point they are not superstitious at even the Pope's visit to Africa!  Special education?  None needed.  Just basic education about the dangers of tribalism and sectionalism!

even if you prepared the vaccine in their kitchen these people have imbibed a destructive "the west is out to kill us" mentality that is inimical to growth.

almondjoy:

I am not arguing with the facts you have all there.  I just wanted you to know that vaccinces are medications or drugs designed to do a specific job. . . boost the immunity system. . . not cure a disease.   What other medications are antigens? Try hormonal drugs ok? wink

Hormone replacement drugs are not antigens . . . hormones are ligands that bind to mostly nuclear hormone receptors i.e. oestrogen binds to the ER.  wink
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 8:08pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Play:

I think the excerpt below is telling:
@AJ

I hope say you never join RichyBlack in the University of Google,Wikipedia Campus. grin They will google something up instantly to pretend they know what they are talking.

I know what I am talking about.  If I did not show my sources of what I have actually read. . . my friends here will say I am "ignorant". cheesy  So, I wanted to show that there was a reason for why the vaccines were boycotted. Wikepedia Campus is great for learning.  You don't have to pretend you know what you are talking about. . . it is written in black and white.

Na real University of Google. . .Wikepedia Campus. . .E.s.u.t. branch! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  Silly you!  

It it were you. . .would you submit your rump to some health care official in Nigeria to vaccinate you against all living things in Nigeria? cheesy  Not in ma dreams I swear.  Na only God deey save that country. I say I don't blame some of the Northerners and southerners who refused.  If you fall victim to those suspicious "liquids". . . No hospitals within 2 interstate lines to even say your last prayers ooooooooooooooooh!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 8:11pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

It it were you. . .would you submit your rump to some health care official in Nigeria to vaccinate you against all living things in Nigeria? cheesy Not in ma dreams I swear. Na only God deey save that country. I say I don't blame some of the Northerners and southerners who refused. If you fall victim to those suspicious "liquids". . . No hospitals within 2 interstate lines to even say your last prayers ooooooooooooooooh!

Go to private hospitals in Lagos or Abuja, they do stock western vaccines though very expensive.
I did the MMR there and there was no problem.
I have taken one at the UNICEF office in my hometown too and there were no problems.

Not everything in Nigeria is bad o.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 8:12pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

I hope 4 Him will realize this and channel the blame to the right sources.

we should now blame the west?
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 8:14pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Him:

even if you prepared the vaccine in their kitchen these people have imbibed a destructive "the west is out to kill us" mentality that is inimical to growth.
Hormone replacement drugs are not antigens . . . hormones are ligands that bind to mostly nuclear hormone receptors i.e. oestrogen binds to the ER.  wink

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh!  I knew you were going to fall for that cheap Hormonal stunt! cheesy  Are you also a Wikepedia graduate?

Why would the west want to kill us when we do a better job killing ourselves? cheesy  You think they are that jobless?  Only ignoramuses in Nigeria will dream up such crap!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by LASIEFAIRE(m): 8:15pm On Apr 23, 2008
I find you so pro White, and anti-nigerian. Millions have gotten vaccinated, millions will get vaccinated and they are all doing great. Even here in the states there are thousands of medical cases gone bad, of recent the case of the transplants. Did that shake your faith in the american doctor? no!

Guinea pig in my context means submitting oneself for scientific experimentation. Considering what was done in the Tuskege case, many African Americans still act as guinea pigs - the tuskege doesnt discourage them, because they are intelligent enough to recognize that is in the past, the lesson has be learnt, and that there is a possibility of the experiment being a success.
sure not all northerners are a great one but over 80% are. no matter how technical you get some northerners still got vaccinated and they are doing alright.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 8:17pm On Apr 23, 2008
almondjoy:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh!  I knew you were going to fall for that cheap Hormonal stunt! cheesy  Are you also a Wikepedia graduate?

Why would the west want to kill us when we do a better job killing ourselves? cheesy  You think they are that jobless?  Only ignoramuses in Nigeria will dream up such crap!

I don't google anything, i have an immunology textbook right here (janeway and travers).

Are you also going to argue that hormones are antigens?  shocked no go there at all. stunt ko, play ni.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 8:21pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Him:

Go to private hospitals in Lagos or Abuja, they do stock western vaccines though very expensive.
I did the MMR there and there was no problem.
I have taken one at the UNICEF office in my hometown too and there were no problems.

Not everything in Nigeria is bad o.

So I should drive all the way from Agenegbode to Lagos or Abuja to get simple vaccines. . . no wonder the Northerners are skeptical.  You guys have hidden the real things and are circulating dead magggotts mixed with goat's urine for vaccinations.  No thank you I say.  When I get there. . . I will tell them that my name is Amarachisom Ibru and all they would do is inject me with the fake stuff so I can never find my way home.  Now I know how the Northerners felt!

No thank you!  Find another mugu! cheesy
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 8:23pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Him:

I don't google anything, i have an immunology textbook right here (janeway and travers).

Are you also going to argue that hormones are antigens? shocked no go there at all. stunt ko, play ni.

Not at all! You win! Finito. We have left vaccines to enter hormonal drugs as antigens. . . To argue with you? cheesy

Thank you! I never ready to die yet! grin

You win oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Carry go! Who born me?
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 8:25pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 Him:

Are you also going to argue that[b] hormones are antigens[/b]?  shocked no go there at all. stunt ko, play ni.
Unless U wanna argue that growth factors are also antigens .

The cell's response to antigen binding is uaually production of antibodies and for the most part , antigens are seen as foreign to the body.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 8:34pm On Apr 23, 2008
Uche2nna:

Unless You want to argue that growth factors are also antigens .

The cell's response to antigen binding is uaually production of antibodies and for the most part , antigens are seen as foreign to the body.

thank you o jare. This almondjoy sef . . .
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 10:43am On Apr 24, 2008
4 Him:

thank you o jare. This almondjoy sef . . .

Abeg leave me and "Asiwaju" degree jare! It pays the bills!

4 Him:

we should now blame the west?

No one is blaming the west. I blame Nigerians and it's anti-trusting tribalistic factors which affects everyone else. Please put the blame where it should go. There is not trust among Nigerians and for good reason. One of the results is the fact that "Polio" cases have doubled in Nigeria. I personally will not allow myself to be vaccinated in Nigeria. . .

1. The health care officials will cut corners to sell cheap adulterated drugs

2. Lack of adequate regulatory bodies to monitor the health care sector. . . No standards of care.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 3:55pm On Apr 25, 2008
@ AJ
Most people I know that were born in Nigeria had thier vaccinations in Nigeria, including moi. I assume that should be the case for u too.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Apr 25, 2008
Uche2nna:

@ AJ
Most people I know that were born in Nigeria had their vaccinations in Nigeria, including moi. I assume that should be the case for u too.

Sure but knowing what I know today, would I really submit to be vaccinated in Nigeria?? I have watched tons of Nigerian movies, enough to scare the bejesus out of me when I think of a Nigerian doctor or nurse trying to stick a needle in me. Scary stuff men!!! Scary stuff !!!, LMAO!!!!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 7:21pm On Apr 25, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Sure but knowing what I know today, would I really submit to be vaccinated in Nigeria?? I have watched tons of Nigerian movies, enough to scare the bejesus out of me when I think of a Nigerian doctor or nurse trying to stick a needle in me. Scary stuff men!!! Scary stuff !!!, LMAO!!!!

Nonsense! My mum is a medical doctor (28yrs running) so i know a bit about medicine in the Nigerian context.
The major difference between the Nigerian and American doctor is the lack of cutting edge facilities that are just not available in Nigeria, doctors back home are doing their utmost to preserve lives with whatever little equipment they have.

Like Uche2nna said, virtually everyone born in Nigeria were vaccinated there . . . has there been A SINGLE case of vaccines not being effective?

Most of the negative comments about Nigerian doctors and nurses come from those who are largely ignorant.
You say u're scared about getting an injection from a Nigerian doctor, dear . . . there are widely reported cases of American doctors forgetting scissors in the abdomen of patients, we have reports of doctors who kill patients, we have reports of fake doctors who end up doing more damage than the patient came in for, we have seen patients who go yrs with misdiagnosed ailments . . . bro . . . when will you be scared of American doctors too . . .

or are you people jujst one of the many "if it says American then it must automatically be better than anything Nigerian"?

When it comes to injections i'd trust my mother 150% more than any doctor, white, green, blue, american or indian.
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:27pm On Apr 25, 2008
Dude that does not change anything, LMAO!!! I have tons of friends and old classmates who are practising doctors in that country myself and I still will quiver at the thought of having a Nigerian doctor give me the needle. I happen to have been in med school at one time and knowing what I know from discussing with many of my old colleagues (who, by the way, do not know that by revealing how bad the situation is down there, have indirectly put fear of Nigerian doctors in me), I can tell you that I will not be allowing any of them touch me anytime soon. LMAO!!!!
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by 4Him1(m): 8:57pm On Apr 25, 2008
I'm sure Nigerians who dont have the "opportunity" of an alternative option wont buy into your irrational fears.
Suppose you could not emigrate from Nigeria? would you import your own doctors anytime you had malaria?
Re: Polio Cases Double In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Apr 25, 2008
4 Him:

I'm sure Nigerians who don't have the "opportunity" of an alternative option wont buy into your irrational fears.
Suppose you could not emigrate from Nigeria? would you import your own doctors anytime you had malaria?

That is why I started my post with the line, "Sure but knowing what I know today,, ".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Efcc Swoops On Pppra, Carts Away Files / GEJ Is On A Mission To Destablize Nigeria For Disintegration In 2015 / JTF Destroys Illegal Refineries In Edo, But Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.