Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

About Abortion. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / About Abortion. (14153 Views)

What They Won't Tell You At The Abortion Clinic. / Your View About Abortion... / 5 Facts About Abortion For The Anti-abortion Crusaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 17, 2013
Let's put things in proper perspective...

Do we play God with the life of the unborn because we are scared to have a child that looks like this?

Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 17, 2013
striktlymi: Let's put things in proper perspective...

Do we play God with the life of the unborn because we are scared to have a child that looks like this?

Dont be silly. It is only Frosbel that gave such an excuse.
Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Dont be silly. It is only Frosbel that gave such an excuse.

Don't be silly...does the post have your name on it?
Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 17, 2013
striktlymi:

Don't be silly...does the post have your name on it?

grin grin grin grin grin

Why use the word "we".

Next time, stop being dubious/ambiguous
Re: About Abortion. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:36pm On May 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

huh? Na question be that?

Yes, and this too. cool

1 Like

Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 17, 2013
Because, you are nothing without your mother and it is her decision in her womb (also forgetting that you're a bastard child from a terrible molestation that should have been avoided)

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1111606_404971_328934970461669_858958269_n_jpgc5306602da9c7ca1143cb937c6d9982d[/img]
Re: About Abortion. by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:00pm On May 17, 2013
Logicboy03: Because, you are nothing without your mother and it is her decision in her womb (also forgetting that you're a bastard child from a terrible molestation that should have been avoided)

Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 17, 2013
^^^

lol......rights? Rights decided by courts? Ehem, can you appear in a court in person? lol.....I didnt think so.
Re: About Abortion. by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:13pm On May 17, 2013
Logicboy03: ^^^

lol......rights? Rights decided by courts? Ehem, can you appear in a court in person? lol.....I didnt think so.

That doesn't mean you have the rights to commit murder.

Re: About Abortion. by thehomer: 6:29pm On May 17, 2013
Mr anony:
And how does that relate to the analogy again?

It shows that your analogy was fatally flawed because of that error.

Mr anony:
Interesting. If I hear you correctly, you are saying that there is something morally wrong with killing a foetus as long as there is the scientific equipment available to allow it to survive outside the womb.

Yes there is something wrong with killing a foetus beyond the age of viability.

Mr anony:
1. I hope you do realize that this makes a woman's right to choose an arbitrary right and not a fundamental human right.
(because if it was, she will still retain her right to kill the foetus at any time regardless of whatever advances are made in science and technology)

No it doesn't make it arbitrary. Do you recall when you accepted that people have a properly basic right to their lives? The fact of advancement of modern technology limits that right in the same way that the advancement of modern technology would make euthanasia in a situation where a once fatal untreatable illness not permissible.

Mr anony:
2.The defence that it is a woman's body and she has the right to do with it as she pleases falls to pieces because as the age of viability falls, the woman's right over "her body" gets restricted some more.

Rights are modified all the time with technology.

Mr anony:
3. She must now give birth to the baby against her will even if she would have preferred to abort it. once it is past a certain age (an age which by the way, can get even lower tomorrow)

If she is that desperate to get the baby out beyond the age of viability, then she is welcome to do that.

Mr anony:
4. Your argument therefore implies that the woman never had a "right to choose" in the first place. The real question was whether to grant the baby it's right to life.

False. My argument doesn't imply that in any way.

Mr anony:
This part doesn't follow the sentence preceding it because her right to choose to abort is precisely what is being "infringed upon"

False. It is being restricted like rights have always been restricted.

Mr anony:
Interesting. I find the words "colloquial" and "significant" to be very subjective. Let's use something more objective shall we?

You really should be careful with subjectivity and objectivity.

Mr anony:
Do you hold to the substance view of human beings whereby a person is still a person regardless of physical body changes i.e thehomer in the womb is the same as thehomer at age 8 and thehomer today and will also be the same person if he lives for another forty years even if he has massive plastic surgery and manages to change his body to that of a white woman?

Or Do you hold a material view of human beings where the person is only the same as long as his constituent parts remain the same i.e. thehomer in the womb is different from thehomer at age 8 who is also different from thehomer today. Infact thehomer has changed in the last five minutes to someone else because he is no longer made up of the same configuration of matter?

Which of these views takes per-emminence when defining your personhood. Which is more "significant" (to use your own words)? You can't have it both ways.

Both of them are important concepts or "tools" to be used when the appropriate situation arises. Your error is in trying to conflate them as meaning that they're identical.

Mr anony:
Interesting. If I hear you correctly, you are insinuating that an adult is human while a zygote is not.

Let us look at how that plays out

zygote = not human/subhuman

.......9 months of gestation......

baby = fully human (I'm assuming that you consider a baby to be fully human)

.......30 years of growth.......

adult = fully human.

And you think that it is a "faulty premise" to say that at some point in that 9 month period, the "subhuman" zygote became human? Please tell me how that works again. How do you move from non-human to human without moving from non-human to human?

It is either you accord the zygote it's human status or you tell us at what point it becomes fully human. Or perhaps you think there are human beings more human than others?

What you've done meets the textbook example of a slippery slope fallacy. See here. You have to first present a non-fallacious line of thought.

Mr anony:
Yes and they will coincide with circumstances when it is permissible to kill another human being. e.g. when the life of the life of one endangers the life of the mother in which case we try to save the two but if the child passes away, we mourn him/her. That is not murder.

Okay here are a few examples for your consideration.
Is abortion in the case of incest permissible 12 hours after conception? How about 12 hours after a rape? How about at 18 weeks if it is discovered that the fetus will not survive outside the uterus?
Re: About Abortion. by Mranony: 7:11pm On May 17, 2013
thehomer:
It shows that your analogy was fatally flawed because of that error.
Lololol, so that's how it works now. Throw out an unrelated response and claim failure? Very good, very good indeed.

Yes there is something wrong with killing a foetus beyond the age of viability.
What is wrong with it? Could it be because such a fetus is a human being?

No it doesn't make it arbitrary. Do you recall when you accepted that people have a properly basic right to their lives?
I don't. Please remind me

The fact of advancement of modern technology limits that right in the same way that the advancement of modern technology would make euthanasia in a situation where a once fatal untreatable illness not permissible.
You've lost me here. Please clarify.

Rights are modified all the time with technology.
Fundamental human rights too?

If she is that desperate to get the baby out beyond the age of viability, then she is welcome to do that.
There is a difference between aborting the baby and "getting it out". Which do you mean?

False. My argument doesn't imply that in any way.
Explain why I'm wrong then

False. It is being restricted like rights have always been restricted.
You mean fundamental human rights have always been justly restricted? Or are you conceding that the "right to choose" is not a fundamental human right?

You really should be careful with subjectivity and objectivity.
You really should be careful with vague terms like "significant" and "colloquial"

Both of them are important concepts or "tools" to be used when the appropriate situation arises. Your error is in trying to conflate them as meaning that they're identical.
They are clearly not identical. You only wish to be allowed the freedom to switch from one to the other whenever it suits you.

What you've done meets the textbook example of a slippery slope fallacy. See here. You have to first present a non-fallacious line of thought.
It does not. I have only challenged your wildly illogical idea. Could you please demonstrate exactly how I have commited the slippery slope fallacy instead of merely asserting it?

Okay here are a few examples for your consideration.
Is abortion in the case of incest permissible 12 hours after conception? How about 12 hours after a rape? How about at 18 weeks if it is discovered that the fetus will not survive outside the uterus?
Are you about to concede that abortion is only permissible when it meets these very special requirements? If not then I don't see the sense of trying to employ very special and ad hoc scenarios to help you justify abortion in principle
Re: About Abortion. by thehomer: 7:42pm On May 17, 2013
Mr anony:
Lololol, so that's how it works now. Throw out an unrelated response and claim failure? Very good, very good indeed.

That response wasn't unrelated. If your first analogy isn't actually analogous to the situation at hand, then you cannot use that analogy.

Mr anony:
What is wrong with it? Could it be because such a fetus is a human being?

No, because at that point, the state has an interest in the fetus.

Mr anony:
I don't. Please remind me

You accepted that idea here.

Mr anony:
You've lost me here. Please clarify.

What don't you understand?

Mr anony:
Fundamental human rights too?

Any right affected by that technology.

Mr anony:
There is a difference between aborting the baby and "getting it out". Which do you mean?

Getting it out also covers abortion. Evacuating the uterus is the broad term.

Mr anony:
Explain why I'm wrong then

I'm saying she still has the right to choose even after the age of viability. The difference is that the child can survive then.

Mr anony:
You mean fundamental human rights have always been justly restricted? Or are you conceding that the "right to choose" is not a fundamental human right?

All rights have restriction. To put it simply, your right to swing your fist ends if my face is in the way. My face being in the way is a "restriction" on your right to swing your fist.

Mr anony:
You really should be careful with vague terms like "significant" and "colloquial"

Those words fit the situation pretty well. What words would you have used to express the ideas I expressed?

Mr anony:
They are clearly not identical. You only wish to be allowed the freedom to switch from one to the other whenever it suits you.

If you accept that they're not identical, then you've just admitted that each idea has its uses. I'm not switching whenever it suits me, I'm using the tool that best fits the job at hand.

Mr anony:
It does not. I have only challenged your wildly illogical idea. Could you please demonstrate exactly how I have commited the slippery slope fallacy instead of merely asserting it?

Done right here. I said:
thehomer:
No you're not justified in making that leap because such a leap commits the slippery slope fallacy. It is fallacious because there are in fact actual differences between say a zygote and a teenager at 15. e.g The teenager has a brain while the zygote doesn't.

Please take a look at the reference link I posted for more information.

Mr anony:
Are you about to concede that abortion is only permissible when it meets these very special requirements? If not then I don't see the sense of trying to employ very special and ad hoc scenarios to help you justify abortion in principle

No I'm not. I've said is is permissible before the age of viability. In fact, I'll say an evacuation of the uterus is permissible at any time. As you can see, it also covers abortions. On a side not, I'm also saying that a normal delivery at nine months or a Caesarian section at nine months can also be considered an evacuation of the uterus.

I just wonder what you think about them. My position on this is pretty clear. Yours isn't.
Re: About Abortion. by DeepSight(m): 8:09pm On May 17, 2013
@ Anony,

Do you consider the embryo as formed shortly after conception (within 2 - 4 weeks after conception) to be a human being?

Take a look at this image. It is an image of what the embryo looks like at that stage.

Is this a human being?

Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 17, 2013
Deep Sight:
@ Anony,

Do you consider the embryo as formed shortly after conception (within 2 - 4 weeks after conception) to be a human being?

Take a look at this image. It is an image of what the embryo looks like at that stage.

Is this a human being?

Thank you

Anony.....lets see you Anonynize this
Re: About Abortion. by thehomer: 8:21pm On May 17, 2013
striktlymi: Morning peeps,

I believe firmly that a zygote is human...my argument is very simple really and it is thus:

Every human being is gifted with a human life...

Human life does not change irrespective of the stage of human development...

A zygote possesses this human life...

Hence a zygote is a human being...

Premise 1 is a tautology. Is like saying water is gifted with the quality of being wet.

Premise 2 is debatable. Life does change depending on the stage of human development.

Premise 3 is what is being contested.

Conclusion is therefore unsound.
Re: About Abortion. by jayriginal: 8:21pm On May 17, 2013
Mr anony:
Neither is it the mother's body

Look you have obviously never heard of the "rhesus factor".

Its all good to sit and fantasize about philosophy but in the end, hard facts win against suppositions, no matter how cleverly expressed.
Indeed it is the mothers body.

I suggest you read about the rhesus factor and how a mothers immune system can self abort a fetus because it sees it as a foreign body.

Logicboy03:
2) If abortion is murder, God is the best murderer since natural abortion is the most common abortion. Simple one dimensional silliness

OLAADEGBU:

I thought anony gave the right response when he said the "lesser of two evils", but what is the chance of that happening in all the abortions being committed? You cannot hide under the excuse of rare events such as the "life of the mother" to commit murder at will.

Ah,so "murder" can be justified afterall. Or did I read that wrong? Lets see.

Logicboy03:
Smh......I tire for this Anonynizing nonsense.....truly and truly, I see arguing with you as a waste of time nowadays.
4) What if the mother is in danger and will die if the pregnancy carries on?

Mr anony: I thought you missed me cry cry
Then it is a case of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Nope, seems I got the number the first time. SMH. Brings me back to my first statement to Frosbel and Anony

jayriginal:

Remember, both of you have said that abortion is murder. Then there really should be no need to ask if it is ok to murder a three headed, 7 legged and one handed fetus.

The minute any of you says its ok, then it means you dont know what you are talking about because you have both earlier declared it to be murder.

Logicboy03:
Abortion is murder
Natural abortions happen
God is a murder because he made abortion to be natural.

Re: About Abortion. by thehomer: 8:29pm On May 17, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Is that not double standard? What's the difference between the 11 million people who died in the Holocaust and the 53 million unborn babies killed in America? undecided

Those 11 million people we can all agree were human beings capable of living independently of their mothers but the 53 million weren't. Add to that number those that are aborted spontaneously by or with your God's permission. That number is even more than 53 million over the same period and location of assessment.
Re: About Abortion. by Mranony: 8:41pm On May 17, 2013
thehomer:
That response wasn't unrelated. If your first analogy isn't actually analogous to the situation at hand, then you cannot use that analogy.
I think I showed you precisely how they were analogous. I can't help it if you choose to stubbornly reject it without reason.

No, because at that point, the state has an interest in the fetus.
The state now determines moral right and wrong?

You accepted that idea here.
I still don't see how I did. Please provide quotes in context.

What don't you understand?
Where euthanasia comes in. Please rephrase

Any right affected by that technology.
That's a non-answer. All you've really said is "technology affects rights that can be affected by technology". Circular Reasoning

Getting it out also covers abortion. Evacuating the uterus is the broad term.
Lol, "evacuating the uterus" indeed. Except in cases of abortion they make sure to stop the heartbeat of the foetus before carrying on with the "evacuation".
Isn't it funny how people can get really vague when they want to justify murder and soften it's moral impact.

I'm saying she still has the right to choose even after the age of viability. The difference is that the child can survive then.
Interesting. Remind me again exactly what her rights are: Does she have the right to kill the fetus while it is still in the womb or does she only have the right to bring it out and hope it survives?

All rights have restriction. To put it simply, your right to swing your fist ends if my face is in the way. My face being in the way is a "restriction" on your right to swing your fist.
Interesting analogy. Does the mother's right to choose end where the baby's right to life starts? or is the baby only permitted to live because "the state has an interest"?

Those words fit the situation pretty well. What words would you have used to express the ideas I expressed?
The ones I used: substance and material.

If you accept that they're not identical, then you've just admitted that each idea has its uses.
No it doesn't follow. People don't switch schools of thought back and forth as it suits them.

I'm not switching whenever it suits me, I'm using the tool that best fits the job at hand.
Lololol....Where you are the one who determines when the tool fits the job. Remind me again how you are not merely switching whenever it suits you.

Done right here. I said:

Please take a look at the reference link I posted for more information.
I did and yet I fail to see where you have demonstrated that I used the slippery slope fallacy. All you have done is claim it.

The question before you have before you is whether the zygote is the same person as the baby born at 9 months. Are both human? if not, at what point did one move from non-human to human?

No I'm not. I've said is is permissible before the age of viability. In fact, I'll say an evacuation of the uterus is permissible at any time. As you can see, it also covers abortions. On a side not, I'm also saying that a normal delivery at nine months or a Caesarian section at nine months can also be considered an evacuation of the uterus.

I just wonder what you think about them. My position on this is pretty clear. Yours isn't.
If you are not saying it is permissible only in such scenarios, then why bring it up? My position is also very clear. if the baby is human, then it has a right to live.

By the way, one of Dr Gosnell's crimes was "evacuating the uterus" and leaving the premature fetus to die on the floor. If only he had made sure to kill it before "evacuating" it, he would have been innocent
Re: About Abortion. by Mranony: 8:57pm On May 17, 2013
Deep Sight:
@ Anony,

Is this a human being?
Short answer: Yes it is a human being. I take a substance view of human beings and not a material one.

In a few years that same embryo would have grown enough to argue on Nairaland.
Will you say that the embryo is not the same person as the adult only grown up?
Are you willing to hold that a non-human being attains humanness at some point? if yes, what point exactly is it? where do we draw that line?
Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 17, 2013
Mr anony:
Short answer: Yes it is a human being. I take a substance view of human beings and not a material one. In a few years that same embryo would have grown enough to argue on Nairaland.
Will you say that the grown-up embryo is not the same person as the adult? Are you willing to hold that a non-human being attains humanness at some point? if yes, what point exactly is it? where do we draw that line?

This guy knows his sophistry well! Take a note of the words in bold grin grin grin

See how he weasels in "specifically meaningless" words to dazzle and form his points?

What is a substance view?
What is a grown up embro? Infact, you an say that we are grown up embryos in a sense but we are not embryos...just as chickens are not eggs even if they come from it
Re: About Abortion. by truthislight: 9:09pm On May 17, 2013
Errrm, errrm.
*clears threath*

the below post by @mr Anony was and is the Game winner am afraid, unless proved otherwise

Mr anony:

Would you also grant that you are still the same person even though more or less all the cells that constituted your body when you were 2 years old are now dead?

If the above is true then I am justified in saying that
a zygote is the same person as the embryo at 1 week old,
the same person as the foetus at 6 months old,
the same person as the baby at 1 year,
same as the teenager at 15,
the same as the adult today
and will still be the same as the elderly person 40 years from now.
All that happened is that this zygote grew.

Now if you accept that you are the same person that was born to your mother, then I don't see why that baby is not the same as the zygote that was formed at fertilization. You are the same human being all through your life from conception to death regardless of which parts of your body you may lack or have lacked at any point in time.

^ Absolutely and perfectly stated.

*hands over the cup for the Debate of this thread to Anony*

cool
Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 17, 2013
Alas, an attempt...let's see what we have here...

thehomer:

Premise 1 is a tautology. Is like saying water is gifted with the quality of being wet.

Nice try but no cigar!!!

The argument can be modified thus:

Every human (person or individual if you like) is gifted with a human life...

thehomer:
Premise 2 is debatable. Life does change depending on the stage of human development.

WRONG!!! Experiences change not life as used...

When a young man is hit with sudden millions and he screams: My life has changed forever... in this context, the young man is not saying that the life he has, as used in my argument, has changed but he is only saying that his 'lot' in life has changed, hence a change in experience...

thehomer:
Premise 3 is what is being contested.

Okay!

thehomer:
Conclusion is therefore unsound.

Conclusion is very sound...

#You danced well...

1 Like

Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 17, 2013
truthislight: Errrm, errrm.
*clears threath*

the below post by @mr Anony was and is the Game winner am afraid, unless proved otherwise

^ Resolutely and perfectly stated.

*hands over the cup for the Debate of this thread to Anony*

cool

lol.....the dishonesty of christians can't be paralleled at times!

"You are the same human being all through your life from conception to death"- Anony

Only a religious fool can support such an unscientific and incorrect quote
Re: About Abortion. by thehomer: 9:18pm On May 17, 2013
Mr anony:
I think I showed you precisely how they were analogous. I can't help it if you choose to stubbornly reject it without reason.

Well you didn't. The fact that Nazis weren't punished for beating their prisoners to death means your analogies aren't analogous.

Mr anony:
The state now determines moral right and wrong?

No, as I said before, the foetus at that point can survive outside the mother.

Mr anony:
I still don't see how I did. Please provide quotes in context.

You'll have to follow the thread and the responses. You basically conceded it right at that link.

Mr anony:
Where euthanasia comes in. Please rephrase

Euthanasia is acceptable for certain cancers. If the technology to treat them were available, then it won't be acceptable.

Mr anony:
That's a non-answer. All you've really said is "technology affects rights that can be affected by technology". Circular Reasoning

You can say it is tautological not that it is circular reasoning. Do you expect the technology to affect a right that cannot be affected by the technology? That simply makes no sense.

Mr anony:
Lol, "evacuating the uterus" indeed. Except in cases of abortion they make sure to stop the heartbeat of the foetus before carrying on with the "evacuation".
Isn't it funny how people can get really vague when they want to justify murder and soften it's moral impact.

Yet we still have premature babies being born and surprise surprise we find that the uterus is empty or evacuated after their delivery. Or do we have the hearts of premature babies stopped too?

Mr anony:
Interesting. Remind me again exactly what her rights are: Does she have the right to kill the fetus while it is still in the womb or does she only have the right to bring it out and hope it survives?

She has the right to her own body. If she wants her body before the age of viability then guess what? That foetus will die.

Mr anony:
Interesting analogy. Does the mother's right to choose end where the baby's right to life starts? or is the baby only permitted to live because "the state has an interest"?

The mother's right continues through out her pregnancy.

Mr anony:
The ones I used: substance and material.

Why don't you substitute them into my response and take a look at the idea you're presenting.

Mr anony:
No it doesn't follow. People don't switch schools of thought back and forth as it suits them.

Lololol....Where you are the one who determines when the tool fits the job. Remind me again how you are not merely switching whenever it suits you.

Wrong. Physicists use Newtonian theories when considering the motion of ballistic projectiles but switch to Einsteins theories when considering motion at or near the speed of light.

A classic example of using the best tools for the job.

Mr anony:
I did and yet I fail to see where you have demonstrated that I used the slippery slope fallacy. All you have done is claim it.

The question before you have before you is whether the zygote is the same person as the baby born at 9 months. Are both human? if not, at what point did one move from non-human to human?

What do you think a demonstration that you've committed the slippery slope fallacy would look like? That reference link I provided gave you the exposition of the fallacy and I gave you a concise summary of it.
I'm sorry but if you've read my response and read that reference link but still cannot see that you've presented a textbook case of the slippery slope fallacy, then I really cannot help you. I can only recommend that you try to get the necessary background knowledge on how to avoid such fallacious lines of though.

Mr anony:
If you are not saying it is permissible only in such scenarios, then why bring it up? My position is also very clear. if the baby is human, then it has a right to live.

Oh I just wanted you to clarify that even if the baby would die 12 hours after the delivery, you would still want the mother to go through all the risks of pregnancy just to satisfy your ideas.

Mr anony:
By the way, one of Dr Gosnell's crimes was "evacuating the uterus" and leaving the premature fetus to die on the floor. If only he had made sure to kill it before "evacuating" it, he would have been innocent

Wrong. He would have still been guilty of many other crimes including the point I've been making which is that based on the age of viability.
Re: About Abortion. by wiegraf: 9:23pm On May 17, 2013
Mr anony: By your definition, 1 week old babies do not count as human since they are incapable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, problem solving and culture through social learning. combined with an adaptation to bipedal locomotion that frees the hands for manipulating objects.

In fact monkeys are this stage are considerably more human according to you.

They have the tools at that point, fully formed organs of their own at that stage. Again, nascent but fully formed, capable of existing on their own. Not so with a fetus. If you cannot tell the difference, well, then you're either disingenuous or stoopid. No other excuse I can think of. Do you call a tire a car? Perhaps the bolts?

And I do support giving rights similar to ours to the great apes and a few other species. I suppose you don't care because they don't have the magical pixie dust, 'souls', or whatever you call it. The fact that they may have to ability to be sentient (or just about be on the verge of) doesn't seem to concern you, assuming you're tossing aside the idea of giving them rights with these comments ie. As I can't see what else you're using to qualify the right to live other than perhaps, human dna?

If so, is a kidney human? It has human dna. What about stem cells? Even saliva has human dna, no? I understand we now put some of our dna into cows as well, to produce better milk. Are they now human? Do they get to go to heaven as well?

Sperm should be human as well, but I doubt you'd agree. Think of the trillions you've killed so far. That's hell for you

Mr anony:
Are you arguing that a human being is only human as long as it has the right body parts? Are amputees therefore less human than those with complete limbs?

Yes. What I've stated is as simplistic and black and white as this nonsense. Perhaps you don't have a human brain?

Mr anony:
No it is not, I'm only bringing you face to face with your thesis.

Excellent work!

Mr anony:
Yawn, you still haven't explained why it is an organ and not a human being? What does this 'organ' do for the body exactly?

It becomes a baby. Like sperm. Genius

And I believe I said 'like' an organ, on mobile so checking is tedious.

Mr anony:
religious? no I am only wondering what else to call a person who thinks it is morally acceptable for women to have the right to kill their own children.

And I am wondering how you think it's morally acceptable to tell women what they do with their own bodies over potential, again potential, children. Forcing them to go through with a process they clearly are not interested in. If you're going to make go through with it then you take responsibility, simple.

If your concern is for souls then you have some nerve, .
Re: About Abortion. by thehomer: 9:25pm On May 17, 2013
striktlymi: Alas, an attempt...let's see what we have here...

Nice try but no cigar!!!

The argument can be modified thus:

Every human (person or individual if you like) is gifted with a human life...

Your "modification" doesn't do anything to help your argument.

striktlymi:
WRONG!!! Experiences change not life as used...

When a young man is hit with sudden millions and he screams: My life has changed forever... in this context, the young man is not saying that the life he has, as used in my argument, has changed but he is only saying that his 'lot' in life has changed, hence a change in experience...

So his life hasn't changed just his lot in life that has changed? Is there a change between the life of a fertilized egg and the life of a several trillion celled human? I think the mere difference in number is a pretty huge change.

striktlymi:
Okay!

Conclusion is very sound...

#You danced well...

Yet you're unable to show that it is sound.
Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 17, 2013
thehomer:

Your "modification" doesn't do anything to help your argument.

...and we take this because my Homy has spoken?

thehomer:
So his life hasn't changed just his lot in life that has changed?

Yep!

thehomer:
Is there a change between the life of a fertilized egg and the life of a several trillion celled human? I think the mere difference in number is a pretty huge change.

That really is not a change in life but simply a development in 'structure'...the life remains the same. The 'structure' of every human changes as it develops but the life still remains the same.

Now sniff the life out of that our beautiful "fertilized egg" and let's see what will become of our "several trillion celled human".

thehomer:
Yet you're unable to show that it is sound.

Now you err my good sir...I have demonstrated the 'doggedness' of my argument...you want me to do it again?
Re: About Abortion. by Mranony: 10:19pm On May 17, 2013
thehomer:
Well you didn't. The fact that Nazis weren't punished for beating their prisoners to death means your analogies aren't analogous.
Here is the analogy again:
The story is about Dr Gosnell who was convicted of first degree murder for killing babies minutes after delivery.
If only he had killed them while they were yet in the womb or partially delivered, he would have been an innocent man.

I find the above story absurd. As someone put it, "It is like sentencing a Nazi soldier to prison for beating a Jew to death instead of conveniently sending him to the gas chamber as he had been trained to do.

Tell me again why the fact that Nazis weren't punished for beating their prisoners to death in real life changes the meaning of my analogy in any way.

No, as I said before, the foetus at that point can survive outside the mother.
But you said the state is interested in the fetus. When I asked why it is wrong to kill a fetus beyond the age of viability. So tell me again; Why is it wrong?

You'll have to follow the thread and the responses. You basically conceded it right at that link.
I'm afraid I really can't see whatever it is that you are seeing there.

Euthanasia is acceptable for certain cancers. If the technology to treat them were available, then it won't be acceptable.
I don't find this argument convincing however I'll let it slide as I don't want to go on a euthanasia tangent

You can say it is tautological not that it is circular reasoning. Do you expect the technology to affect a right that cannot be affected by the technology? That simply makes no sense.
Let it be noted that you still haven't validated your claim here. Presenting for comparison a more absurd version of your original claim does not validate your claim. Try again

Yet we still have premature babies being born and surprise surprise we find that the uterus is empty or evacuated after their delivery. Or do we have the hearts of premature babies stopped too?
How does this accurately respond to my post again?

She has the right to her own body. If she wants her body before the age of viability then guess what? That foetus will die.
But she doesn't have the right to her own body after the viability? Question still remains. Is she justified in killing the baby while it is within her womb after the age of viability? Feel free to keep dancing around

The mother's right continues through out her pregnancy.
Is she justified in killing the baby while it is within her womb after the age of viability?

Why don't you substitute them into my response and take a look at the idea you're presenting.
They are not the same sort of words. You provided a very vague explanation and I cleaned it up for you.

Wrong. Physicists use Newtonian theories when considering the motion of ballistic projectiles but switch to Einsteins theories when considering motion at or near the speed of light.

A classic example of using the best tools for the job.
Wrong this analogy doesn't match as they are not describing the exact same phenomenon from two points of view

What do you think a demonstration that you've committed the slippery slope fallacy would look like? That reference link I provided gave you the exposition of the fallacy and I gave you a concise summary of it.
I'm sorry but if you've read my response and read that reference link but still cannot see that you've presented a textbook case of the slippery slope fallacy, then I really cannot help you. I can only recommend that you try to get the necessary background knowledge on how to avoid such fallacious lines of though.
How about you take it step by step and carefully explain why my argument in particular commits the slippery slope fallacy.
What you have done is no different from if I claimed that you have commited the ad hominem fallacy then I just post a link. . .and when you ask me to demonstrate it, I claim it some more.

Oh I just wanted you to clarify that even if the baby would die 12 hours after the delivery, you would still want the mother to go through all the risks of pregnancy just to satisfy your ideas.
How exactly do they know for sure that the baby will die 12 hours after delivery? Mind you they have to have this knowledge before the age of viability because if not, she has birth as an option. And also, if I knew my 1 year old baby will die in the next 12 hours, am I justified if I kill her now?

Wrong. He would have still been guilty of many other crimes including the point I've been making which is that based on the age of viability.
What exactly will he be guilty of?
Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 17, 2013
Anony: The story is about Dr Gosnell who was convicted of first degree murder for killing babies minutes after delivery.
If only he had killed them while they were yet in the womb or partially delivered, he would have been an innocent man.

I find the above story absurd. As someone put it, "It is like sentencing a Nazi soldier to prison for beating a Jew to death instead of conveniently sending him to the gas chamber as he had been trained to do.

Trust Anony to have fallacious stories to beef up his sophistry.........

1) Did the women consent to his killing of the babies?
2) There is a simple line drawn between birth and being in the womb

Which law protects one from killing a partially delivered baby? You dey lie well well oooo
Re: About Abortion. by thelonelyshadow: 10:47pm On May 17, 2013
What if a woman is raped, is it then morally justified for her to abort the baby?
Re: About Abortion. by Mranony: 11:01pm On May 17, 2013
thelonelyshadow: What if a woman is raped, is it then morally justified for her to abort the baby?
Is it the baby's fault that the mother was raped? Why should the baby pay for the sins of the father?

Rape is unfortunate but the baby is a human life and doesn't deserve to suffer for something it didn't do.

1 Like

Re: About Abortion. by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 17, 2013
Mr anony:
Is it the baby's fault that the mother was raped? Why should the baby pay for the sins of the father?

Rape is unfortunate but the baby is a human life and doesn't deserve to suffer for something it didn't do.

is the baby being aborted just because of the father or that such a baby would be too traumatic for a sanne woman to raise?

One dimensional thinking when life is in 3d

Should your daughter be molested, I would like to see yoyr stance then.......heartless dolt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Woo A Lady In The Church? / What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? / Move Your Spouse Along By Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.