Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly (11609 Views)

Lagos Plans To Spend N1bn On Schools Renovation / INEC To Jail Presidential Candidates That Spend Above N1bn On Campaign / FG, States To Spend N1bn To Compute GDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Zammydagreat(m): 1:31pm On May 17, 2013
yes o

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Zet72(m): 1:32pm On May 17, 2013
leave them jor make them flex small, person nogo dai say im de protect im father land...
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Goddygee(m): 1:33pm On May 17, 2013
Dibiachukwu: Yes. I am tired of all this owambe!
Tax them all angry
Make sure they run out of money to buy #200 credit; that they use to post bigoted comments on nairaland.
Tax them all grin

ps: all those saying kill them all on boko haram related threads. Please desist. Let the military do their job professionally. No need for babaric slogans
Tax 4 "owambe" again?? Choi !!! Our own don Finish...!
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Omen100(m): 1:34pm On May 17, 2013
Naija grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by KayDee4: 1:40pm On May 17, 2013
Merriment tax ke ? Wetin concern govt with how people choose to spend their 'free' money ?

How do they intend to calculate the amount to be paid as tax ?

Abeg focus on making sure they don't shut down the entire street with the owambe.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by theripper2: 1:47pm On May 17, 2013
Wetin government dey provide for him citizen for dis obodo Nigeria sef? Yet, the small jolification and happiness wey person dey enjoy once a while, una still wan subtract small cheese wey we go use abi? God pass all of una o.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by phransix147(m): 2:02pm On May 17, 2013
These people would just come out and say thrash... Is it compulsory they address the press sef? That commissioner should pls tell us where he got his reference from and it must be accessible by the common lagosian. Remember every law u put on ground would be bastardize by the enforcers. Just imagine you doing your wedding u have long budgeted for and the so called Aberos come and crash it in the name of u haven't paid your Merriment Tax
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Dthespian: 2:03pm On May 17, 2013
Whose pocket is the 1bn pouring into,aint it the same Lagosians? No love lost,no love found/ no money lost no money found

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by BeraBera(f): 2:11pm On May 17, 2013
Lagos and taxes! Very soon you would start paying eating tax, sleeping tax, boyfriend/girlfriend tax.

Anyway, the merriment tax could be another means of getting funds for the government if it is packaged well. Meanwhile, they would first start collecting the merriment tax from politicians because they are the ones that throw elaborate parties, and not the masses.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by danjohn: 2:17pm On May 17, 2013
I am a big Fashola supporter; but things like merriment tax is what makes some people to hate Fashola. Oga Fashola if you want a sales tax, that is different. But to target people who are celebrating to pay extra tax on top of the sales tax they have paid to purchase the items they are using the celebrate?? That is hard to comprehend.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Symphony007: 2:27pm On May 17, 2013
The lagos state board of internal revenue will soon start deploying it's agents to your bedrooms to collect sexual tax.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by vanstanzy(m): 2:55pm On May 17, 2013
Those with Ijebu wives, i hear Ijebu women love partying a lot, let them thank their God. grin grin grin
Fashola has come to the rescue, at least una go begin save money.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by jonot: 3:00pm On May 17, 2013
No, this isnt right. if people want to spend their money on parties, hows that a problem for govt? and no one is forced to attend parties or buy aso-ebi, so why complain? govt shouldnt raise taxes that have no basis, i beg angry
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by vanstanzy(m): 3:02pm On May 17, 2013
Dibiachukwu: Yes. I am tired of all this owambe!
Tax them all angry
Make sure they run out of money to buy #200 credit; that they use to post bigoted comments on nairaland.
Tax them all grin

ps: all those saying kill them all on boko haram related threads. Please desist. Let the military do their job professionally. No need for babaric slogans

This is a very welcome development. FASHOLA U DO WELL! grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by vanstanzy(m): 3:11pm On May 17, 2013
ninja4life: Let there be luxury tax,if u hav more than 2cars u must pay tax and also if u hav more than 3houses u pay tax and d like i tink if dis is implementd it will go a long way in curbing d type of excessive spending lifestyle we live and people will be forced to invest there money in something meaningful.

Very good observation. But most people don't see it that way. They are like why should i be allowed to keep frolicking until my life winds up. POVERTY MENTALITY! i'll say. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by vanstanzy(m): 3:18pm On May 17, 2013
DJDOLA: Yes I love it let them pay tax..especially we yorubas we love party were by we buy every party items on credits..after d party we now be running up and down 2 pay our debt..I BEG WHO SEND U

Thank you, u have said it just the way it is. God bless u!
I just hope this tax regime will always continue.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 17, 2013
Over 12 billion annually on parties.. Tell me there's poverty in Naija and I'll stone you to death... Tax the mofoas sad
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 17, 2013
vanstanzy: Those with Ijebu wives, i hear Ijebu women love partying a lot, let them thank their God. grin grin grin
Fashola has come to the rescue, at least una go begin save money.
they can spend over sixty thousand on aso ebi... Meanwhile debt de their neck
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 17, 2013
Goddygee: Tax 4 "owambe" again?? Choi !!! Our own don Finish...!
you and who own finish
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by overdrive(m): 3:49pm On May 17, 2013
Make I hear word abeg I rmember when they closed one mkt for Lagos ppl were shouting that anybody that cannot abide by d rules shld go back to his state same applies here pls so far d tax no near my cold heineken. grin
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by UyiIredia(m): 3:50pm On May 17, 2013
That tax is ridiculous.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by greall1: 3:51pm On May 17, 2013
The person wey get job go pay tax
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by iesusluvz: 3:55pm On May 17, 2013
At what point would they impose the tax? Is it @ d point of purchase of those party materials or @ d venue?
How do you define "Owambe"?
Are all merriments qualified to be called "owambe"?
They would def. rake in some money 4rm "d few" high income earners whose "spending decisions" are not based much on economic consideratn.
But for the lower income earners who r in d majority & whose decision to spend depend a lot on economic consdratn, I hope this would not be a disincentive cos corruptn can make d tax bigger thn wat it shld be @ d end of d day and in situatn where people have alternatives, the softdrinks, canopy business e.t.c in neighbourng state might be in for a boom at d expense of Lagos. They need to get their facts right.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 17, 2013
Upon all my support for Lagos in this forum, I no get invitation lerra
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 17, 2013
noskeybaba: I spend like 5% of this amount. cool

Connect me with your oga at. The top. I wan chop 10%
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by RealSleek(m): 4:28pm On May 17, 2013
DJDOLA: Yes I love it let them pay tax..expecialy we yorubas we love party were by we buy every party items on credits..after d party we now be runing up and down 2 pay our debt..I BEG WHO SEND U

Excuse me?...speak for yourself o..u hia?
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by lonelydora: 4:36pm On May 17, 2013
Dat picture needs to be shared so that IG will see how his boys are working. Tears full my eyes now, where I dey laugh. Neigbors r asking why I'm laughing.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by miqos02(m): 4:39pm On May 17, 2013
na their money we dey spend?
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by ayabdul: 4:43pm On May 17, 2013
jaymichael: Wetin concern this useless government with how the citizens spend their hard earned money. You hustle, you pay company tax, land use tax, personal income tax, radio and tv tax, advert tax, VAT, etc etc.. you pass roads that are suppose to be free, you pay tolls, you provide your own electricity, water, pay for your own healthcare, education, you never get anything done for you @the local government or state secretariat without you paying them money. Inspite of all these, you manage save some money to celebrate your IKOMO or your daughter's wedding ceremony, government still dey vex say you no get right to celebrate unless you give them something. Na wa o! when will this government start to think of giving to the people instead of fleeing them?
my brother I think lagos state government is taken thing 2 far nd it should b condemn by lagosian coz very soon they will begin to tax for eating 3 square mill

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Buhari Arrives Niger For ECOWAS Meeting / Vote For Me, I’ll Work For You, Obaseki Tells Electorate / Ugwuanyi Inspects Atavu Bridge, Directs Immediate Intervention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.