Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,489 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67891 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by nolongtin(m): 1:58pm On May 18, 2013
Also: Why He Wished Achebe Had Not Written His Last Book; What He Told Ojukwu Before The War; Genocide, And Other Issues

.Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has described Africa’s most well known novelist, Chinua Achebe, as a storyteller who earned global celebration, adding, however, that those describing Achebe as “the father of African literature” were ignorant.

In a wide-ranging interview with SaharaReporters, Soyinka paid tribute to the late novelist who died on March 21, 2013 at 82. Soyinka, who won the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, also spoke on his personal relationship with Achebe and other Nigerian writers; his regrets about Achebe’s last book, There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra; and his attempt to talk the late Biafran leader, Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, out of fighting a war. Soyinka also answered questions about Heinemann’s African Writers Series and scolded “clannish” and “opportunistic hagiographers” fixated on the fact that Achebe never won the Nobel Prize.

Question: Do you recall where or how you first learned about the death of Professor Chinua Achebe? And what was your first reaction?

Answer: Where I heard the news? I was on the road between Abeokuta and Lagos. Who called first – BBC or a Nigerian journalist? Can't recall now, since other calls followed fast and furious, while I was still trying to digest the news. My first reaction? Well, you know the boa constrictor – when it has just swallowed an abnormal morsel, it goes comatose, takes time off to digest. Today's global media appears indifferent to such a natural entitlement. You are expected to supply that instant response. So, if – as was the case – my first response was to be stunned, that swiftly changed to anger.

Now, why was I stunned? I suspect, mostly because I was to have been present at his last Chinua Achebe symposium just a few months earlier – together with Governor Fashola of Lagos. Something intervened and I was marooned in New York. When your last contact with someone, quite recent, is an event that centrally involves that person, you don’t expect him to embark on a permanent absence. Also, Chinua and I had been collaborating lately on one or two home crises. So, it was all supposed to be 'business as usual'. Most irrational expectations at one’s age but, that's human presumptuousness for you. So, stunned I was, primarily, then media enraged!

Question: Achebe was both a writer as well as editor for Heinemann’s African Writers Series. How would you evaluate his role in the popularization of African literature?

Answer: I must tell you that, at the beginning, I was very skeptical of the Heinemann's African Series. As a literary practitioner, my instinct tends towards a suspicion of “ghetto” classifications – which I did feel this was bound to be. When you run a regional venture, it becomes a junior relation to what exists. Sri Lankan literature should evolve and be recognized as literature of Sri Lanka, release after release, not entered as a series. You place the books on the market and let them take off from there. Otherwise there is the danger that you start hedging on standards. You feel compelled to bring out quantity, which might compromise on quality.

I refused to permit my works to appear in the series – to begin with. My debut took place while I was Gowon's guest in Kaduna prisons and permission to publish The Interpreters was granted in my absence. Exposure itself is not a bad thing, mind you. Accessibility. Making works available – that’s not altogether negative. Today, several scholars write their PhD theses on Onitsha Market literature. Both Chinua and Cyprian Ekwensi – not forgetting Henshaw and others – published with those enterprising houses. It was outside interests that classified them Onitsha Market Literature, not the publishers. They simply published.

All in all, the odds come down in favour of the series – which, by the way, did go through the primary phase of sloppy inclusiveness, then became more discriminating. Aig Higo – who presided some time after Chinua – himself admitted it.

Question: For any major writer, there’s the inevitable question of influence. In your view, what’s the nature of Achebe’s enduring influence and impact in African literature? And what do you foresee as his place in the canon of world literature?

Answer: Chinua's place in the canon of world literature? Wherever the art of the story-teller is celebrated, definitely assured.

Question: In interviews as well as in writing, Achebe brushed off the title of “father of African literature.” Yet, on his death, numerous media accounts, in Nigeria as well as elsewhere, described him as the father – even grandfather – of African literature. What do you think of that tag?

Answer: As you yourself have observed, Chinua himself repudiated such a tag – he did study literature after all, bagged a degree in the subject. So, it is a tag of either literary ignorance or “momentary exuberance” – ala [Nadine] Gordimer – to which we are all sometimes prone. Those who seriously believe or promote this must be asked: have you the sheerest acquaintance with the literatures of other African nations, in both indigenous and adopted colonial languages? What must the francophone, lusophone, Zulu, Xhosa, Ewe etc. etc. literary scholars and consumers think of those who persist in such a historic absurdity? It's as ridiculous as calling WS father of contemporary African drama! Or Mazisi Kunene father of African epic poetry. Or Kofi Awoonor father of African poetry. Education is lacking in most of those who pontificate.

As a short cut to such corrective, I recommend Tunde Okanlawon's scholarly tribute to Chinua in The Sun (Nigeria) of May 4th. After that, I hope those of us in the serious business of literature will be spared further embarrassment.

Let me just add that a number of foreign “African experts” have seized on this silliness with glee. It legitimizes their ignorance, their parlous knowledge, enables them to circumscribe, then adopt a patronizing approach to African literatures and creativity. Backed by centuries of their own recorded literary history, they assume the condescending posture of midwiving an infant entity. It is all rather depressing.

Question: Following Achebe’s death, you and J.P. Clarke released a joint statement. In it, you both wrote: “Of the ‘pioneer quartet’ of contemporary Nigerian literature, two voices have been silenced – one, of the poet Christopher Okigbo, and now, the novelist Chinua Achebe.” In your younger days as writers, would you say there was a sense among your circle of contemporaries – say, Okigbo, Achebe, Clarke, Flora Nwapa – of being engaged in a healthy rivalry for literary dominance? By the way, on the Internet, your joint statement was criticized for neglecting to mention any female writers – say, Flora Nwapa – as part of that pioneering group. Was that an oversight?

Answer: This question – the omission of Flora Nwapa, Mabel Segun (nee Imoukhuede) – and do include D.O. Fagunwa, Amos Tutuola, Cyprian Ekwensi, so it is not just a gender affair – is related to the foregoing, and is basically legitimate. JP and I were however paying a tribute to a colleague within a rather closed circle of interaction, of which these others were not members. Finally, and most relevantly, we are language users – this means we routinely apply its techniques. We knew what we were communicating when we placed “pioneer quartet” in – yes! – inverted commas. Some of the media may have removed them; others understood their significance and left them where they belonged.

Question: Did you and Achebe have the opportunity to discuss his last book, There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra, and its critical reception? What’s your own assessment of There Was a Country? Some critics charged that the book was unduly divisive and diminished Achebe’s image as a nationally beloved writer and intellectual. Should a writer suborn his witness to considerations of fame?

Answer: No, Chinua and I never discussed There was a Country. Matter of fact, that aborted visit I mentioned earlier would have been my opportunity to take him on with some friendly fire at that open forum, continuing at his home over a bottle or two, aided and abetted by Christie’s (editor’s note: Achebe’s wife, Professor Christie Achebe) cooking. A stupendous life companion by the way – Christie – deserves a statue erected to her for fortitude and care – on behalf of us all. More of that will emerge, I am sure, as the tributes pour in.

Unfortunately, that chance of a last encounter was missed, so I don't really wish to comment on the work at this point. It is however a book I wish he had never written – that is, not in the way it was. There are statements in that work that I wish he had never made.

The saddest part for me was that this work was bound to give joy to sterile literary aspirants like Adewale Maja-Pearce, whose self-published book – self-respecting publishers having rejected his trash – sought to create a “tragedy” out of the relationships among the earlier named “pioneer quartet” and, with meanness aforethought, rubbish them all – WS especially. Chinua got off the lightest. A compendium of outright impudent lies, fish market gossip, unanchored attributions, trendy drivel and name dropping, this is a ghetto tract that tries to pass itself up as a product of research, and has actually succeeded in fooling at least one respectable scholar. For this reason alone, there will be more said, in another place, on that hatchet mission of an inept hustler.

Question: One of the specific issues raised constantly in recent Nigerian public “debate” has to do with whether the Igbo were indeed victims of genocide. What are your thoughts on the question
?

Answer: The reading of most Igbo over what happened before the Civil War was indeed accurate – yes, there was only one word for it – genocide. Once the war began however, atrocities were committed by both sides, and the records are clear on that. The Igbo got the worst of it, however. That fact is indisputable. The Asaba massacre is well documented, name by victim name, and General Gowon visited personally to apologize to the leaders. The Igbo must remember, however, that they were not militarily prepared for that war. I told Ojukwu this, point blank, when I visited Biafra. Sam Aluko also revealed that he did. A number of leaders outside Biafra warned the leadership of this plain fact. Bluff is no substitute for bullets.

Question: Your joint statement with Clarke balances the “sense of depletion” you felt over Achebe’s death with “consolation in the young generation of writers to whom the baton has been passed, those who have already creatively ensured that there is no break in the continuum of the literary vocation.” How much of the young Nigerian and African writers do you find the time to read?

Answer: Yes, I do read much of Nigerian/African literature – as much as my time permits. My motor vehicle in Nigeria is a mobile library of Nigerian publications – you know those horrendous traffic holdups – that's where I go through some of the latest. The temptation to toss some out of the car window after the first few pages or chapter is sometimes overwhelming. That sour note conceded – and as I have repeatedly crowed – that nation of ours can boast of that one virtue – it’s bursting with literary talent! And the women seem to be at the forefront.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by nolongtin(m): 1:59pm On May 18, 2013
Question: In the joint statement issued by J. P. Clarke and you following Achebe’s death, you stated: “For us, the loss of Chinua Achebe is, above all else, intensely personal. We have lost a brother, a colleague, a trailblazer and a doughty fighter.” There’s the impression in some quarters that Achebe, Clarke and you were virtual personal enemies. In the specific case of Achebe and you, there’s the misperception that your 1986 Nobel Prize in literature poisoned your personal relationship with a supposedly resentful Achebe. How would you describe your relationship with Achebe from the early days when you were both young writers in a world that was becoming aware of the fecund, protean phenomenon called African literature?

Answer: Now – all right - I feel a need to return to that question of yours – I have a feeling that I won’t be at ease with myself for having dodged it earlier – which was deliberate. If I don’t answer it, we shall all continue to be drenched in misdirected spittle. I’m referring to your question on the relationship between myself and other members of the “pioneer quartet” – JP Clark and Chinua specifically. At this stage in our lives, the surviving have a duty to smash the mouths of liars to begin with, then move to explain to those who have genuinely misread, who have failed to place incidents in their true perspective, or who simply forget that life is sometimes strange – rich but strange, and inundated with flux.

My first comment is that outsiders to literary life should be more humble and modest. They should begin by accepting that they were strangers to the ferment of the earlier sixties and seventies. It would be stupid to claim that it was all constantly harmonious, but outsiders should at least learn some humility and learn to deal with facts. Where, in any corner of the globe, do you find perfect models of creative harmony, completely devoid of friction? We all have our individual artistic temperaments as well as partisanships in creative directions. And we have strong opinions on the merits of the products of our occupation. But – “rivalry for domination,” to quote you – healthy or unhealthy? Now that is something that has been cooked up, ironically, by camp followers, the most recent of which is that ignoble character I’ve just mentioned, who was so desperate to prove the existence of such a thing that he even tried to rope JP’s wife into it, citing her as source for something I never uttered in my entire existence. I cannot think of a more unprincipled, despicable conduct. These empty, notoriety-hungry hangers-on and upstarts need to find relevance, so they concoct. No, I believe we were all too busy and self-centred – that is, focused on our individual creative grooves – to think ‘dominance’!

Writers are human. I shudder to think how I must sometimes appear to others. JP remains as irrepressible, contumacious and irascible as he was during that creative ferment of the early sixties. Christopher was ebullient. Chinua mostly hid himself away in Lagos, intervening robustly in MBARI affairs with deceptive disinclination. Perception of Chinua, JP and I as ‘personal enemies’? The word “enemy” is strong and wrong. The Civil War split up a close-knit literary coterie, of which “the quartet” formed a self-conscious core. That war engendered a number of misapprehensions. Choices were made, some regrettable, and even thus admitted by those who made them. Look, I never considered General Gowon who put me in detention my enemy, even though at the time, I was undeniably bitter at the experience, the circumstances, at the man who authorized it, and contributing individuals – including Chief Tony Enahoro who read out a fabricated confession to a gathering of national and international media.

But the war did end. New wars (some undeclared) commenced. Chief Enahoro and I would later collaborate in a political initiative – though I never warmed up to him personally, I must confess. Gowon and I, by contrast, became good friends. He attended my birthday celebrations, presided at my most recent Nigerian award – the Obafemi Awolowo Leadership Prize. JP was present, with his wife, Ebun. What does that tell you? Before that, I had hosted them in my Abeokuta den on a near full-day visit. Would Achebe, if he had been able, and was in Nigeria, have joined us? Perhaps. But he certainly wouldn’t have been present at the Awolowo Award event. That is a different kettle of fish, a matter between him and Awolowo – which, however, Chinua did let degenerate into tribal charges.

Well then, this prospect that “my 1986 Nobel Prize in literature poisoned my personal relationship with a supposedly resentful Achebe” – I think I shouldn’t dodge that either. Even if that was true – which I do not accept – it surely has dissipated over time. For heaven’s sake, over twenty-five people have taken the prize since then! The problem remains with those vicarious laureates who feel personally deprived, and thus refuse to let go. Chinua’s death was an opportunity to prise open that scab all over again. But they’ve now gone too far with certain posturings and should be firmly called to order, and silenced – in the name of decency.

I refer to that incorrigible sect – no other word for it – some leaders of which threatened Buchi Emecheta early in her career – that she had no business engaging in the novel, since this was Chinua’s special preserve! Incredible? Buchi virtually flew to me for protection – read her own account of that traumatizing experience. It is a Nigerian disease. Nigerians need to be purged of a certain kind of arrogance of expectations, of demand, of self-attribution, of a spurious sense and assertion of entitlement. It goes beyond art and literature. It covers all aspects of interaction with others. Wherever you witness a case of ‘It’s MINE, and no other’s’, ‘it’s OURS, not theirs’, at various levels of vicarious ownership, such aggressive voices, ninety percent of the time, are bound to be Nigerians. This is a syndrome I have had cause to confront defensively with hundreds of Africans and non-Africans. It is what plagues Nigeria at the moment – it’s MY/OUR turn to rule, and if I/WE cannot, we shall lay waste the terrain. Truth is, predictably, part of the collateral damage on that terrain.

Yes, these are the ones who, to co-opt your phrasing, “diminished (and still diminish) Chinua’s image”. In the main, they are, ironically, his assiduous – but basically opportunistic – hagiographers – especially of a clannish, cabalistic temperament. Chinua – we have to be frank here – also did not help matters. He did make one rather unfortunate statement that brought down the hornet’s nest on his head, something like: “The fact that Wole Soyinka was awarded the Nobel Prize does not make him the Asiwaju (Leader) of African literature”. I forget now what provoked that statement. Certainly it could not be traced to any such pretensions on my part. I only recollect that it was in the heat of some controversy – on a national issue, I think.

But let us place this in context. Spats between writers, artists, musicians, scientists, even architects and scientific innovators etc. are notorious. They are usually short-lived – though some have been known to last a life-time. This particular episode was at least twenty years ago. Unfortunately some of Chinua’s cohorts decided that they had a mission to prosecute a matter regarding which they lacked any vestige of understanding or competence or indeed any real interest. It is however a life crutch for them and they cannot let go.

What they are doing now – and I urge them to end it shame-facedly – is to confine Chinua’s achievement space into a bunker over which hangs an unlit lamp labeled “Nobel”. Is this what the literary enterprise is about? Was it the Nobel that spurred a young writer, stung by Eurocentric portrayal of African reality, to put pen to paper and produce Things Fall Apart? This conduct is gross disservice to Chinua Achebe and disrespectful of the life-engrossing occupation known as literature. How did creative valuation descend to such banality? Do these people know what they’re doing – they are inscribing Chinua’s epitaph in the negative mode of thwarted expectations. I find that disgusting.

China, with her vast population, history, culture – arts and literature – celebrated her first Nobel Prize in Literature only last year. Yet I have been teaching Chinese literature on and off – within Comparative literary studies – for over forty years. Am I being instructed now that those writers needed recognition by the Nobel for me to open such literary windows to my students? Do these strident, cacophonous Nigerians know how much literature – and of durable quality – radiates the world?

Let me add this teacher complaint: far too many Nigerians – students of literature most perniciously – are being programmed to have no other comparative literary structure lodged in their mental scope than WS vs. CA. Such crass limitation is being pitted against the knowledgeable who, often wearily, but obedient to sheer intellectual doggedness, feel that they owe a duty to stop the march of confident ignorance. For me personally, it is galling to have everything reduced to the Nigerian enclave where, to make matters even more acute, there are supposedly only those two. It makes me squirm. I teach the damned subject – literature – after all. I do know something about it.

So let me now speak as a teacher. It is high time these illiterates were openly instructed that Achebe and Soyinka inhabit different literary planets, each in its own orbit. If you really seek to encounter – and dialogue with – Chinua Achebe in his rightful orbit, then move out of the Nigerian entrapment and explore those circuits coursed by the likes of Hemingway. Or Maryse Conde. Or Salman Rushdie. Think Edouard Glissant. Think Ngugi wa Thiong’o. Think Earl Lovelace. Think Jose Saramago. Think Bessie Head. Think Syl Cheney-Coker, Yambo Ouologuem, Nadine Gordimer. Think Patrick Chamoiseau. Think Toni Morrison. Think Hamidou Kane. Think Shahrnush Parsipur. Think Tahar Ben Jelloun. Think Naguib Mahfouz – and so on and on along those orbits in the galaxy of fiction writers. In the meantime, let us quit this indecent exercise of fatuous plaints, including raising hopes, even now, with talk of “posthumous” conferment, when you know damned well that the Nobel committee does not indulge in such tradition. It has gone beyond ‘sickening’. It is obscene and irreverent. It desecrates memory. The nation can do without these hyper-active jingoists. Can you believe the kind of letters I receive? Here is one beauty – let me quote:

“I told these people, leave it to Wole Soyinka - he will do what is right. We hear Ben Okri, Nuruddin Farah, even Chimamanda Adichie are being nominated. This is mind-boggling. Who are they? Chinua can still be awarded the prize, even posthumously. We know you will intervene to put those upstarts in their place. I’ve assured people you will do what is right.”

Alfred Nobel regretted that his invention, dynamite, was converted to degrading use, hence his creation of the Nobel Prize, as the humanist counter to the destructive power of his genius. If he thought that dynamite was eviscerating in its effects, he should try some of the gut-wrenching concoctions of Nigerian pontificators. Please, let these people know that I am not even a member of Alfred’s Academy that decides such matters. As a ‘club member,’ however, I can nominate, and it is no business of literary ignoramuses whom, if any, I do nominate. My literary tastes are eclectic, sustainable, and unapologetic. Fortunately, thousands of such nominations – from simply partisan to impeccably informed – pour in annually from all corners of the globe to that cold corner of the world called Sweden. Humiliating as this must be for many who carry that disfiguring hunch, the national ego, on their backs, Nigeria is not the centre of the Swedish electors’ world, nor of the African continent, nor of the black world, nor of the rest of the world for that matter. In fact, right now, Nigeria is not the centre of anything but global chagrin.

Chinua is entitled to better than being escorted to his grave with that monotonous, hypocritical aria of deprivation’s lament, orchestrated by those who, as we say in my part of the world, “dye their mourning weeds a deeper indigo than those of the bereaved”. He deserves his peace. Me too! And right now, not posthumously.

It is not all bleakness and aggravation however – I have probably given that impression, but the stridency of cluelessness, sometimes willful, has reached the heights of impiety. Vicarious appropriation is undignified, and it runs counter to the national pride it ostensibly promotes. Other voices are being drowned, or placed in a false position, who value and express the sensibilities between, respect the subtle threads that sustain, writers, even in their different orbits. My parting tribute to Chinua will therefore take the form of the long poem I wrote to him when he turned seventy, after my participation in the celebrations at Bard College. I plan for it to be published on the day of his funeral – my way of taunting death, by pursuing that cultural, creative, even political communion that unites all writers with a decided vision of the possible – and even beyond the grave.

http://saharareporters.com/interview/saharareporters-interview-exclusive-achebe-celebrated-storyteller-no-father-african-litera

16 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ekoilee: 2:28pm On May 18, 2013
Very interesting read....

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 18, 2013
Sometimes i wonder where they get this father of literature bullcrap from, when/when was it given.ohhhh i guess by the wrapper tieing elders in alaigbo

can someone tell me the father of mordern asian literature or that of european literature answers needed asap abi na only africa be continent

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 18, 2013
Wole Soyinka is right and has clearified some issues that some people from a particular ethnic group always misunderstand. Prof, thank you for your maturity, not allowing ethnicity to becloud your reasoning.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Xfactoria: 4:00pm On May 18, 2013
I hope those folks from the South-Eastern part of the country, who are constantly and desperately in search of a hero, would understand this and save us all the embarrassment and the noise they make.

First, they tried to make a cowardly Ojukwu a hero, then Chinua Achebe. Maybe their heroes are still in the womb and for God's sake, no one would scold them if they don't have one.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 18, 2013
Wole Soyinka went in heavy on those Nairalanders who reside on two different sides of a clannish divide, in the portion of his interview excerpted below.

You know yourselves holmes grin

nolongtin:
Let me add this teacher complaint: far too many Nigerians – students of literature most perniciously – are being programmed to have no other comparative literary structure lodged in their mental scope than WS vs. CA. Such crass limitation is being pitted against the knowledgeable who, often wearily, but obedient to sheer intellectual doggedness, feel that they owe a duty to stop the march of confident ignorance. For me personally, it is galling to have everything reduced to the Nigerian enclave where, to make matters even more acute, there are supposedly only those two. It makes me squirm. I teach the damned subject – literature – after all. I do know something about it.

So let me now speak as a teacher. It is high time these illiterates were openly instructed that Achebe and Soyinka inhabit different literary planets, each in its own orbit. If you really seek to encounter – and dialogue with – Chinua Achebe in his rightful orbit, then move out of the Nigerian entrapment and explore those circuits coursed by the likes of Hemingway. Or Maryse Conde. Or Salman Rushdie. Think Edouard Glissant. Think Ngugi wa Thiong’o. Think Earl Lovelace. Think Jose Saramago. Think Bessie Head. Think Syl Cheney-Coker, Yambo Ouologuem, Nadine Gordimer. Think Patrick Chamoiseau. Think Toni Morrison. Think Hamidou Kane. Think Shahrnush Parsipur. Think Tahar Ben Jelloun. Think Naguib Mahfouz – and so on and on along those orbits in the galaxy of fiction writers. In the meantime, let us quit this indecent exercise of fatuous plaints, including raising hopes, even now, with talk of “posthumous” conferment, when you know damned well that the Nobel committee does not indulge in such tradition. It has gone beyond ‘sickening’. It is obscene and irreverent. It desecrates memory. The nation can do without these hyper-active jingoists. Can you believe the kind of letters I receive? Here is one beauty – let me quote:

“I told these people, leave it to Wole Soyinka - he will do what is right. We hear Ben Okri, Nuruddin Farah, even Chimamanda Adichie are being nominated. This is mind-boggling. Who are they? Chinua can still be awarded the prize, even posthumously. We know you will intervene to put those upstarts in their place. I’ve assured people you will do what is right.”

I am definitely keeping this one for posterity. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by patrick89(m): 7:12pm On May 18, 2013
This is a very intelligent response! But then I don't see anything wrong in making achebe the father of African literature he deserves it, owing to the fact that he popularized African literature through his work, I have few questions here to ask who is the Queen of nollywood? Who is the father of nollywood? what criteria were used in given them the title? Now let me chip in one thing more, those so called *first to do that and do this in Nigeria how did they get to be the first? He(soyinka) clearly stated that in the field like this, even in the music industry there must be this kind of tussle, so Achebe is the father of literature and so what? He is a "storyteller" he (soyinka)used there to me is absurd! I rest my case here

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 18, 2013
Bluff is no substitute for bullets! A lesson so simple, yet so difficult for some to learn.

15 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 18, 2013
patrick89: This is a very intelligent response! But then I don't see anything wrong in making achebe the father of African literature he deserves it, owing to the fact that he popularized African literature through his work, I have few questions here to ask who is the Queen of nollywood? Who is the father of nollywood? what criteria were used in given them the title? Now let me chip in one thing more, those so called *first to do that and do this in Nigeria how did they get to be the first? He(soyinka) clearly stated that in the field like this, even in the music industry there must be this kind of tussle, so Achebe is the father of literature and so what? He is a "storyteller" he (soyinka)used there to me is absurd! I rest my case here
Before Chinua Achebe people were writing. Read and digest Wole Soyinka, please.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 18, 2013
I don't know what this thread is still doing on the politics section. It should be moved to the front page, if for nothing, for those that always fight to know Soyinka's position on this on NL, FB, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4evaIsASlut: 8:20pm On May 18, 2013
patrick89: This is a very intelligent response! But then I don't see anything wrong in making achebe the father of African literature he deserves it, owing to the fact that he popularized African literature through his work, I have few questions here to ask who is the Queen of nollywood? Who is the father of nollywood? what criteria were used in given them the title? Now let me chip in one thing more, those so called *first to do that and do this in Nigeria how did they get to be the first? He(soyinka) clearly stated that in the field like this, even in the music industry there must be this kind of tussle, so Achebe is the father of literature and so what? He is a "storyteller" he (soyinka)used there to me is absurd! I rest my case here

You are one of the people hes complaining about!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Xfactoria: 8:44pm On May 18, 2013

You simply can't comprehend WS clarification, right? Let me explain to you in layman's language. Achebe writes fiction and there are other aspects of literature that makes it difficult to generalize that a master of one is master of all.

Beyond Achebe's work, what do you know about the works and popularity of these writers WS mentioned - "the likes of Hemingway. Or Maryse Conde. Or Salman Rushdie. Think Edouard Glissant. Think Ngugi wa Thiong’o. Think Earl Lovelace. Think Jose Saramago. Think Bessie Head. Think Syl Cheney-Coker, Yambo Ouologuem, Nadine Gordimer. Think Patrick Chamoiseau. Think Toni Morrison. Think Hamidou Kane. Think Shahrnush Parsipur. Think Tahar Ben Jelloun. Think Naguib Mahfouz – and so on and on along those orbits in the galaxy of fiction writers"?

Wole Soyinka was simply speaking to shallow and myopic minds like yours!

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 18, 2013
Wole Soyinka should be careful not to destroy the legacy he has built by involving himself in unsavory affairs.
The first time the Prof disappointed me was when he spoke in support of Patience Jonathan's perm sec appointment,now this.

Chinua Achebe was called the father and grandfather of African literature by others
He did not label himself that
People recognized his immeasurable contribution to African literature and bestowed on him that honor in his lifetime so it is quite petty for WS whom I respect a great to utter such words.
It makes him sound jealous and he should be above such pettiness.
Michael Jackson was called the King of Pop
Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll
Donna Summer was the Queen of Disco While Aretha Franklin is and remains the Queen of soul
That label on Chinua is deserving.

Secondly why speak about Chinua's Book in his death what you couldn't say while he was alive?
I love Soyinka but his words here are beneath a man of his calibre
Maybe old age is setting in
Still respect you sir but you disappoint me here once again

97 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by 1wolex85: 8:53pm On May 18, 2013
babyosisi: Chinua Achebe was called the father and grandfather of African literature by others
People recognized his immeasurable contribution to African literature and bestowed on him that honor in his lifetime so it is quite petty for WS whom I respect a great to utter such words.

Secondly why speak about Chinua's Book in his death what you couldn't say while he was alive?
WS was talking about people like YOU!!! You've completely missed the point of what he was saying. How on earth can you say he was jealous because Achebe was called father of literature? Did u even notice that he belittled his nobel prize? Abeg read and understand!

42 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ekoilee: 8:57pm On May 18, 2013
babyosisi: Wole Soyinka should be careful not to destroy the legacy he has built by involving himself in unsavory affairs.
The first time the roof disappointed me was when hep spoke in support of Patience Jonathan's perm sec appointment,now this.

Chinua Achebe was called the father and grandfather of African literature by others
Donna Summer was the Queen of Disco While Aretha Franklin is and remains the Queen of soul

How ignorant can you get?

13 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Xfactoria: 9:13pm On May 18, 2013
babyosisi: Wole Soyinka should be careful not to destroy the legacy he has built by involving himself in unsavory affairs.
The first time the Prof disappointed me was when he spoke in support of Patience Jonathan's perm sec appointment,now this.

You didn't quite comprehend WS sayings. All those examples you gave (in bold) are genres of music. I'm glad you didn't say any of those guys is the father of music. Saying Achebe is the Father of African literature is myopic because Achebe only writes fiction which is just one branch of literature. There are playwriters and others who do completely different things. If people like you are desperate to make Achebe a King, the best you can do is make him a father of fiction or "storytelling" but after reviewing his work against those other African storytellers that WS mentioned. Don't just sit down with your limited understanding of literature and make pronunciations that give you away as lacking in education.

46 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 18, 2013
X-factoria:

You didn't quite comprehend WS sayings. All those examples you gave (in bold) are genres of music. I'm glad you didn't say any of those guys is the father of music. Saying Achebe is the Father of African literature is myopic because Achebe only writes fiction which is just one branch of literature. There are playwriters and others who do completely different things. If people like you are desperate to make Achebe a King, the[b] best you can do is make him a father of fiction or "storytelling" [/b]but after reviewing his work against those other African storytellers that WS mentioned. Don't just sit down with your limited understanding of literature and make pronunciations that give you away as lacking in education.

He made African literature popular and respected
Fiction or no fiction
African literature became a staple in USA schools due to Achebe and his things fall apart
That is the point
Your attempt to belittle fiction is laughable
I hope you know most classics that have stood the test of time by authors like Shakespeare,Mark Twain and George Orwell are fiction and the most widely sold book by an African ( things fall apart) also happens to be fiction so Chinua is in excellent company.
I smell ignorance all through your post.

Secondly I am tired of educating some of you ,it is annoying to read folks parrot what they hear others say without checking out the facts for themselves
Chinua's most popular book was fiction
But he has to his credit several non fictional books

He is your countryman celebrated the world over,others shouldn't know more about him and his works more than you do
If only the cloak of tribalism will let you.

58 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 18, 2013
This is from a fellow writer,a non Nigerian at Chinuas death and it captures the essence of it all
Let us call a spade a spade
I will post an excerpt

[b]Though Achebe stopped writing novels after 1987, the range of his work is daunting: short stories, poetry, essays, plays, memoirs, ... even children's books. One good place to start is his collection of essays Hopes and Impediments (1988), an extended meditation on the relationship between Africa and its former colonizers, the lingering heritage of that colonization on history [/b]and culture, and the ways in which we might be able to move ahead. Achebe's famous Conrad essay is here, as is an essay on the American writer James Baldwin, who he admired and considered a friend. Achebe's Baldwin essay is especially good, a plea that, though the universe and our fellow species may give us constant reason for pessimism, we cannot give in to despair.

From there, Achebe can - and should - lead us to other writers. First among them is his friend and fellow Nigerian author Wole Soyinka, a virtual unknown in this country despite having received the Nobel Prize for literature. In some respects this may be an inevitability of genre - Soyinka's focus has been more on poetry and theatre than prose, and neither makes one a household name in 21st century America - but he's highly worth the effort of seeking out (See Soyinka's statement on Achebe's passing.) If you're willing to stick with poetry, the work of the tragically short-lived Christopher Okigbo is also a must-read.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/22/1196200/-RIP-Chinua-Achebe

33 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ekoileee: 9:33pm On May 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Fiction or no fiction
African literature became a staple in USA schools due to Achebe and his things fall apart
That is the point
I hope you know most classics that have stood the test of time by authors like Shakespeare,Mark Twain and George Orwell are fiction and the most widely sold book by an African also happens to be fiction so Chinua is in excellent company.

Secondly I am tired of educating some of you ,it is annoying to read folks parrot what they hear others say without checking out the facts for themselves

He is your countryman celebrated the world over,others shouldn't know more about him and his works more than you do

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 18, 2013
For those actually interested in knowledge not the block heads parroting hear say

Chinua Achebe's published works include non fictional books dating back to many decades and they include

The trouble with Nigeria

The African Trilogy

The Education of a British protected Child

Home and Exile

Hopes and Impediments

There was a Country

And others

Don't let ignorant posters on nairaland who have never read any books,deceive you

37 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Xfactoria: 9:47pm On May 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Fiction or no fiction
That is the point
I hope you know most classics that have stood the test of time by authors like Shakespeare,Mark Twain and George Orwell are fiction and the most widely sold book by an African ( things fall apart) also happens to be fiction so Chinua is in excellent company.

If only the cloak of tribalism will let you.

So popularity is quality, right? See who is not ignorant!!!

Even the foreigner you quoted admitted that Soyinka may not be as popular as Achebe in his side of the world because he didn't write stories for elementary and high schools. There are many other authors who didn't target that segment of readers as well. The trade-off in that is that they may not be really popular but the quality of their work is another thing entirely.

Go get some education please!

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 9:56pm On May 18, 2013
I hope this will shut up the two mouth of the two warring ethnic group, siding their kinsmen in the affairs of this two icon.best part of the article "bluff is no substitute for bullet". hope those who plays the victim card on a default can now see clearly their hero refused to heed to all voice of reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by CyberG: 10:38pm On May 18, 2013
This is fantastic, well-written and so well articulated! The use of vocabulary is absolutely brilliant and the content is consumately solid! For the watery commenters here, who are pushing the disgraceful point of view Professor Soyinka soundly debunked, pay them. O attention or dignify them with a response. They probably did not read or understand the crux of the matters effectively dispatched, except where they only found buzz words like "Nobel Prize", "Chinua", etc. Beyond the those, WS cleared up the air on issues relating to Nigeria's war history and it is germaine to point out that most of the points he made is similar to the position of those who have stood for factual history of the events that lead to the war and thereafter. In all kudos to Professor Soyinka, he is indeed a leavening light in every aspect of human endeavor and intelligence.

14 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:22am On May 19, 2013
This is the tragedy of our era that a seminal interview of this nature is kept away from front page yet same front page is populated by inanities. This is one interview that ll be referenced for years because it put to shame dishonest individuals who have extracted more dubious political mileage than artistic value from literature.

1. There's no such thing as Father of African literature because there were copious publication far and wide in Africa even before Achebe and Soyinka came to our literary firmament. We even have the likes of Amos Tutuola who had next to nothing education yet wrote a readable fiction not to talk of folks who actually had a degree in English. The piece of Prof Okanlawon ably referenced by Soyinka is perhaps the biggest repudiation of this nonsense of a thing called Father of African literature.

2.I have seen people cited examples of Shakespeare et al to pontificate that a good writer does not necessarily need to win a Nobel. Laughable. If Shakespeare had lived during Nobel era, he would not just been a winner but perhaps a multiple one. There's something wrong with the works of a perennial nominee who failed to clinch the prize.

3.It's completely wrong to domesticate the literary squabble to Nigeria. Soyinka is better known as a playwright not novelist. Like Soyinka said, if you really want to compare, compare oranges with oranges and not just apples with oranges. The right authors to situate Achebe's artistic value with are those of Toni Morrison, Edouard Glissant, Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Yambo Ouologuem, Nadine Gordimer, Naguib Mahfouz which are known for fiction. Many of these folks have won the Nobel Prize which again demonstrate in salient way there's something in Achebe's embodiment of works that is making it inferior to competition from other parts of the globe.

4.Achebe's most read novel, Things Fall Apart, is not his best. Arrow of God is better in richness, deployment of literary and artistic tools. This is the red flag that many conveniently ignore in their deification of Achebe and "arrogance of expectation" of Nobel prize on the alter of Things Fall Apart. Things Fall Apart is more successful as a political tool than a literary masterpiece. It's a counter narrative to repudiate the western imperial image of Africa.
Besides, half of the book is more or less a sociological chronicle of precolonial Alaigbo populated by the richness of Igbo proverbs, maxims and idioms which are not original to Achebe. That simple fact of course would not interest a common reader out there, but to literary practitioners? It's perhaps the most important factor.

5.Soyinka's comment on civil war is what some folks have refused to come to terms with on this forum, Nairaland, that the war was "unwinnable" from day one. Bluff is different from bullet. Instead of holding a man who launched a lost war responsible for dragging the entire Igbo into such a monumental mess, they would rather blame their opponents in the same war for no other reason than their refusal to be defeated. Biafra committed atrocities during the war very much same way like Nigeria. Personal animosities should not be elevated to tribal charges.

Above all, Achebe's place as a good story teller or one of the best masters of realism in literature is assured, Nobel or no Nobel. He was a readable writer.

57 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:49am On May 19, 2013
What qualifies a writer to be considered the father of his genre? If being a pioneer is one them, then I would say even Dr. D.O Fagunwa is far more qualified for that title than Achebe.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:58am On May 19, 2013
Aigbofa: What qualifies a writer to be considered the father of his genre? If being a pioneer is one them, then I would say even Dr. D.O Fagunwa is far more qualified for that title than Achebe.

Fame!
Who made it famous
That is the father

Read on

Samuel Longhorne Clemens (1835-1910), known by the pen name Mark Twain, has been called “the father of American literature. ” In his day he was America’s most famous literary icon. A humorist, satirist, lecturer and novelist, Twain combined narrative wit and a strong sense of irony to create distinctive masterpieces based on American culture and language. His works drew upon his extensive travels[/b] and show a remarkable depth of human character and perception of individual experience. Twain’s writing provides a unique reflection of the American way of life in the latter part of the nineteenth century[/b].

The highlighted part above can be said of Chinua Achebe
In his lifetime he was and still is Africa's most famous literary icon and has sold more books than any African author dead or alive
That is what makes him the father of African literature
I don't know why you tribalists are so pained by that
The world including fellow African writers,Nobel laureates like Gordimer( an African),Europeans,Americans and Asians describe him by that title and the only people that cry about it are a handful of Nigerians from the Yoruba tribe? grin grin grin
You are greatly outnumbered here cool cool cool
All boils down to jealousy folks
I am disappointed that WS would descend this low

55 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply)

Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Before And After Photos Of Adamawa Suicide Bomber (Graphic) / “He’s Not My Son” – Tinubu Reacts To Osinbajo’s 2023 Declaration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.