Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67990 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by crimo4us(m): 3:22pm On May 19, 2013
DerideGull:

I have chosen, as many others, to call Chinua Achebe “Father of African Literature”. Any fool who does not like my cherished endeavor can simply jump off the cliff.
Everyone is entitle to his or her own opinion, if you like say your father is the great grandfather of Africa literature, its your own cup of tea and it only shows how well you can use the brain giving to you by God.I doubt if any of you engaging in tribal war reads or write at all. If you do, you will not engage in meaningless endeavour. Do something that will make people talk about you too. If you want to know if the world knows you, type your name on google and see what it brings. If your name is only attached to social medias' then you are a nobody, so stop fighting for tribal superiority and think of what you can do to make a difference.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by viexcey(f): 3:25pm On May 19, 2013
The world known Achebe Chinua as the "Father of modern Literature" and nothing,i repeat,nothing can change that. The fact that you don't appreciate the nick name is totally your problem and it can't others from calling him the father,even the grand-father of literature. Please, Deal with it and spare us some peace. Achebe will ever remain an ICON of Literature.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 3:25pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

There's a difference between "celebrities" and "art." Stop disrespecting the man's legacy.

I bet if Forbes were to do a version about the most powerful music artists - both Prince and Esperanza Spalding wouldn't make the list. But the likes of: Rihanna, Beyonce, and Adele would top the list. However, can you compare the brilliance of both Prince and Esperanza Spalding - to the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, and Adele? undecided

Art isn't a popularity contest. undecided

With all these chest beating. Am yet to see how soyika has affected lives either through his works or the political noble prize they wrongfully gave to the man that introduced campus cultism.

Achebe affected lives through his works all over the world, even Mandela read his works in the prison and felt free.

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:
They will choose to ignore this decent woman that first called Achebe the Father of African Literature, rather they will like us to listen to that old fool that brought cultism into our tertiary institutions today. What a people without a hero. We in the East has hero for you people to look up to, because we have world acclaimed hero.

. Just because she said "Father of Modern African Literature" when she was among the judges to award the late Achebe the Man Booker International prize for fiction - doesn't mean she believes that. She was just being politically correct and what she calls “momentary exuberance.”

Art is competitive and if you think a Nobel laureate like Nadine Gordimer would put Achebe as being greater than her - then you're on your own. grin

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:27pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:

They will choose to ignore this decent woman that first called Achebe the Father of African Literature, rather they will like us to listen to that old fool that brought cultism into our tertiary institutions today. What a people without a hero. We in the East has hero for you people to look up to, because we have world acclaimed hero.

The sad part is that we have people on here who talk as if they are knowledgeable but quickly prove how that is not the case.

Mandela doesn't know Achebe.
exhibit A: photo of Achebe and Mandela talking

It was europeans that called Achebe the father of modern african literature.
Exhibit B: A south African woman and Nobel winner bestowed upon him that title.

Achebe is a nobody.
Exhibit C: his name trended on twitter, with posts from Mexico to China lamenting the loss. Influx of tributes and etc.

Sometimes (if ever) NL and reality are not one in the same at all and its good to remember that fact.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by sweetcheecks(f): 3:28pm On May 19, 2013
purpleclouds:

If he doesn't know who he is why make a statement on his passing? Lots of people die, lots of famous Africans die why no statement from Mandela if its just "PR".

Even with the fall of apartheid you people still receive substandard education lmao.

Do you know how many people get statements issued from Mandela's desk? Its not him personally that responded according to mentioned article. Their PR does all the statements on his behalf. Are you really this dummmb or you are pretending to be? And if Mandela knows him does that mean I have to know him? Logic please!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:29pm On May 19, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Do you know how many people get statements issued from Mandela's desk? Its not him personally that responded according to mentioned article. Their PR does all the statements on his behalf. Are you really this dummmb or you are pretending to.

Ok dear so Achebe was in those photos with a fake Mandela? Please stop displaying your ignorance.

Even after the fall of apartheid you folks seem worse off than before.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:31pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:
With all these chest beating. Am yet to see how soyika has affected lives either through his works or the political noble prize they wrongfully gave to the man that introduced campus cultism.

Achebe affected lives through his works all over the world, even Mandela read his works in the prison and felt free.

Discuss their works(art) and not their popularity. Soyinka got to the pinnacle of his career and won the most prestigious and celebrated award in his field. And he has a right to his opinions - he mastered the art and I'm proud of him.

The only people chest beating on here are you and your ilk. The man said the truth and nothing but the truth!! I'm proud of his African/black consciousness! wink
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 19, 2013
I am not going to speak my mind yet so that people can say I have some tribalism later. It always sad to see it is the young generation of Nigerians who carry this kind of tribal mindset.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 19, 2013
WS is on his own, his colleague has been described as d Father of African literature by d world n he is panting. Have dey forgotten he is d one with d nobel? Lwkmd!

To d igbo pipz, Na normal thing nah, even pupils palpitate when their teachers talk abt a most brilliant student. Not to talk of.........

2 Likes

bestview:

Are you disputing that Achebe is not the African most influential celebrity? My friend google is your friend. Achebe represent the very best out of Africa. A role model for the entire African continent doubled with founder and father of the modern African literature. Its a feat no African, not to talk of Nigerian can dream of.
I really wish ethnic spear chucker moro.ns like you will just leave this thread. I bet you're not even a literary minded fellow. (Tell us how many literature works you've read) Your only interest here is ethnic. You're pathetic actually.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 3:34pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

The sad part is that we have people on here who talk as if they are knowledgeable but quickly prove how that is not the case.

Mandela doesn't know Achebe.
exhibit A: photo of Achebe and Mandela talking

It was europeans that called Achebe the father of modern african literature.
Exhibit B: A south African woman and Nobel winner bestowed upon him that title.

Achebe is a nobody.
Exhibit C: his name trended on twitter, with posts from Mexico to China lamenting the loss. Influx of tributes and etc.

Sometimes (if ever) NL and reality are not one in the same at all and its good to remember that fact.

You know some people, their brain and sense of reasoning has been eroded by this 'amala and oil soup'. you don't expect them to reason well. Even the nemesis of bringing campus cultism and shading of human blood is haunting that silly old fool.

Here are the two greatest African.

One is Father of Modern African Literature, the other is father of African Liberation.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:38pm On May 19, 2013
ROSSIKE: I really wish ethnic spear chucker moro.ns like you will just leave this thread. I bet you're not even a literary minded fellow. (Tell us how many literature works you've read) Your only interest here is ethnic. You're pathetic actually.

My friend are you any better? You have a narrow and short sighted view of what constitutes as being "African".
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 3:41pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

Discuss their works(art) and not their popularity. Soyinka got to the pinnacle of his career and won the most prestigious and celebrated award in his field. And he has a right to his opinions - he mastered the art and I'm proud of him.

The only people chest beating on here are you and your ilk. The man said the truth and nothing but the truth!! I'm proud of his African/black consciousness! wink

With the political noble prize, who knows soyika outside yorubaland

I bet you that kids here in the east does not know who is soyika and rubbish noble he allegedly won, because the man hasn't affected their lives..

I bet with my real estate that Achebe's name rings bell in every family all around the world. Because they have all read his work. His book are standard curricular all around the world for African Literature. Am yet to see a common Ghanaian or Togolese that knows about Soyika. The only thing I found out is that soyika is jittery and insecure about the prime position of Achebe on the world stage.

Achebe is a world ambassador.

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by phantom(m): 3:43pm On May 19, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin....funny enough i just googled 'father of african literature' and i laughed my butt off at the results from page 1 inwards.there was just one dissenting voice......guess who?? grin grin grin grin.
i respect WS but truth is hes just like the rest of his kinsmen.....just a lot better at hiding his! grin

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

My friend are you any better? You have a narrow and short sighted view of what constitutes as being "African".
Kindly explain. I've no clue what you're talking about.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by sweetcheecks(f): 3:44pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:

You know some people, their brain and sense of reasoning has been eroded by this 'amala and oil soup'. you don't expect them to reason well. Even the nemesis of bringing campus cultism and shading of human blood is haunting that silly old fool.

One is Father of Modern African Literature, the other is
father of African Liberation.

This should be in the jokes section. How many people take photos with Mandela? This does not under play their connection but proves shiitt!

And by the way he is no father of African liberation but a father to a Nation, period!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ohaleoghene(f): 3:45pm On May 19, 2013
Even people who do not know poo about literature all wanna comment . I love Achebe , but I woukdnt give him the father of literature .first because , he is only a master of one segment , which is fiction , or story telling . He was only lucky to have his work as the first to be published in Africa.several good writers got their works published after his 'things fall apart ' that a man is the first to get his work published doesn't necessarily make him the best .every writer to his orbit as soyinka said . There shouldn't be anything as father of literature , the word pioneer should fit more , and he should be restricted to just fiction . Achebe died a resentful person . Read his last work , then you will see that Achebe never loved Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:

I bet you that kids here in the east does not know who is soyika and rubbish noble is allegedly won..

I bet with my real estate that Achebe's name rings bell in every family all around the world. Because they have all read his work. His book are standard curricular all around the world for African Literature. Am yet to see a common Ghanaian or Togolese that knows about Soyika. The only thing I found out is that soyika is jittery and insecure about the prime position of Achebe on the world stage.

Political Nobel prize, no?

But why are your people bombarding him with emails and begging him to help change the rules so that the late Achebe can win the same award posthumously, shameless dolts?

I told these people, leave it to Wole Soyinka - he will do what is right. We hear Ben Okri, Nuruddin Farah, even Chimamanda Adichie are being nominated. This is mind-boggling. Who are they? Chinua can still be awarded the prize, even posthumously. We know you will intervene to put those upstarts in their place. I’ve assured people you will do what is right.

^^^^That shows how desperate some people are. SMFDH undecided

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 19, 2013
Image of Wole Soyinka and Desmond Tutu.

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:

I bet you that kids here in the east does not know who is soyika and rubbish noble he allegedly won, because the man hasn't affected their lives..

Why don't you return to school, improve your grammar, and stand on your own dignity instead of using Achebe as your ethnic crutch?

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 19, 2013
sweetcheecks:
This should be in the jokes section. How many people take photos with Mandela? This does not under play their connection but proves shiitt!

And by the way he is no father of African liberation but a father to a Nation, period!

There's no father of anything - the Khoisans own the land mass of South Africa. grin grin

Nelson Mandela is the first black South African president - that's it! wink
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:49pm On May 19, 2013
ROSSIKE: Kindly explain. I've no clue what you're talking about.

Is Achebe's works any less African because he wrote in English?

Forget the "father blah blah" title can you honestly say that Achebe is not an important figure in African literature? Of course there were writers before Achebe and there will be many more after, but for whatever reason people gravitated to Achebe's novel. It helped that it was written in English but it was not that alone that made it the classic it is today.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by fujirice: 3:50pm On May 19, 2013
Simple question, "would Prof. WS make such utterances if he had been reffered to with the aforementioned tittle 'father of African literature'?"
I pray dis was not borne out of jealousy.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:52pm On May 19, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Sure it doesn't. Not only does Mandela take photos with the non-entity Achebe he also releases statements on that same nobody...
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ekoileee: 3:52pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:

This is why they say NL dying because it's full of ignorant folks posting with their mobile phones from their spare parts room and parlor shop...
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 3:53pm On May 19, 2013
fujirice: Simple question, "would Prof. WS make such utterances if he had been reffered to with the aforementioned tittle 'father of African literature'?"
I pray dis was not borne out of jealousy.
That was my concern too. It may not have been borne out of jealousy but i think he shouldn't have been the one to say it because a lot of people will misconstrue his statement.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by batstan(m): 3:55pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:

One is Father of Modern African Literature, the other is father of African Liberation.
Erm....e be like say na fotoshop ooooo
*falls off trying to run out of thread*

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:55pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
That was my concern too. It may not have been borne out of jealousy but i think he shouldn't have been the one to say it because a lot of people will misconstrue his statement.

Exactly, it comes off very negative even if he didn't mean it that way. Maybe a video interview would have been best because print tends to lend itself to the reader's interpretation.

I didn't particularly like this interview because it seemed Soyinka was doing his best to not be straightforward at times. Maybe he was trying to choose his words carefully but too much beating around the bush for my liking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (46) (Reply)

PDP Governors Visit Goodluck Jonathan At His Otuoke Residence ...photos / Bashir Magashi Stole From Nigeria. Now, A Minister In Buhari’s Cabinet / President Tinubu Appoints Nosa Asemota As Personal Photographer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.