Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School (2035 Views)

Christine Lagarde With Nigerian Children In New Photo / Boko Haram Takes Over Emirs’ Wives •soldiers Move Wives, Children Out Of Barrack / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by smile4kenn(m): 7:04am On Apr 24, 2008
The Minister of Education, Dr. Igwe Aja-Nwachuku, on Wednesday said that it was lamentable that 11 million children of school age were still roaming the streets in the country.

Aja-Nwachuku stated this at a press conference where he inaugurated the 2008 Education for All Week with the theme “Quality education to end exclusion.”

In April 2000, Nigeria joined over 170 countries that met in Dakar, Senegal to reaffirm their commitment to deliver Education for All by 2015.

The minister said that the 11million children were part of over 80 million children worldwide who were out of school.
He said that the article further broke down the figure to show that 4.7 million were of primary school age while 5.3 million were of secondary school age.

The minister said that the article also indicated that 62 per cent of the children out of school were girls while 38 per cent were boys.
http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804241242018
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by almondjoy(f): 7:11am On Apr 24, 2008
80million illiterate kids world wide divided by 11million illiterate kids in Nigeria.

7% of the world illiterate children are in Nigeria?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!   Why am I not surprised? undecided
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by manmustwac(m): 12:51pm On Apr 25, 2008
almondjoy:

80million illiterate kids world wide divided by 11million illiterate kids in Nigeria.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Why am I not surprised? undecided

What makes u think that its only 80 million illerate children worlwide? Where did u get your nonsense figures from?
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by Kobojunkie: 1:38pm On Apr 25, 2008
manmustwac:

What makes u think that its only 80 million illerate children worlwide? Where did u get your nonsense figures from?

LMAO!!! did you even bother to read the original post for this?? Cause that figure is right there for you to see where it came from , LMAO!!!
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by ifyalways(f): 6:16pm On Apr 25, 2008
smile4kenn:

The Minister of Education, Dr. Igwe Aja-Nwachuku, on Wednesday said that it was lamentable that 11 million children of school age were still roaming the streets in the country.

Aja-Nwachuku stated this at a press conference where he inaugurated the 2008 Education for All Week with the theme “Quality education to end exclusion.”

In April 2000, Nigeria joined over 170 countries that met in Dakar, Senegal to reaffirm their commitment to deliver Education for All by 2015.

The minister said that the 11million children were part of over 80 million children worldwide who were out of school.
He said that the article further broke down the figure to show that 4.7 million were of primary school age while 5.3 million were of secondary school age.

The minister said that the article also indicated that 62 per cent of the children out of school were girls while 38 per cent were boys.
the minister said,the minister lamented,the minister this n that angry angry angry
is that the solution to the problem?Now that he/she is just knowing it,what is the next step now?whats she /he gonna do about it?na lamenting we go chop? angry angry angry
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by Kobojunkie: 6:19pm On Apr 25, 2008
This is just for PR. An international organization actually announced the numbers around August of last year and the numbers were about 18 million at that time so please let us not be decieved by all this nonsense.
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by Uche2nna(m): 6:20pm On Apr 25, 2008
smile4kenn:

@ manmustwac
The highlighted words is for ur viewing pleasure  grin

@ topic
Should we call for Prof Grange's head  grin
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by oldie(m): 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2008
The figures given range from 60m to 115m world-wide
I do not believe that 11m of them are Nigerians
Sometime, some kids who work and at the same time attend schools are also counted
Some go to evening schools too
Whatever the figures are, I do not think any child should be denied education

The latest chart is shown below

Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by 4Play(m): 8:47pm On Apr 25, 2008
manmustwac:

How apt!In a thread about illiterate Nigerians,a barely literate Nigerian pops up.

almondjoy:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Why am I not surprised? undecided

Its even worse. . .closer to 14%.

oldie:

Sometime, some kids who work and at the same time attend schools are also counted

The North has a teeming populace of illiterate kids. Even if the worldwide figure is a 115m,we are still pushing close to 10%
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by lucabrasi(m): 9:49pm On Apr 25, 2008
i dont know much about these figures but i dont think the indian sub continent was included, because they are in billions there
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by TopBooty(f): 10:11pm On Apr 25, 2008

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Why am I not surprised?
11M out of 80 million is not 7%, it's 13.75%.
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by TopBooty(f): 10:13pm On Apr 25, 2008
The North has a teeming populace of illiterate kids. Even if the worldwide figure is a 115m,we are still pushing close to 10%
True; but you cannot poll the northern figure like that because they have lots of normads and almajiris from Niger republic and Chad that troll there.
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by Uche2nna(m): 10:16pm On Apr 25, 2008
TopBooty:

True; but you cannot poll the northern figure like that because they have lots of normads and almajiris from Niger republic and Chad that troll there.

cheesy

U can always tell a guy that is from Niger from Hausas/ fulanis who are sent to koranic schools and as a result become almajiris.
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by TopBooty(f): 10:19pm On Apr 25, 2008
You can always tell a guy that is from Niger from Hausas/ fulanis who are sent to koranic schools and as a result become almajiris.
Not all of them. A lot of things happen in the north. Can you remember when there was a report about Niger and Chad citizens that receive salary from ministries in Sokoto and Borno states as workers(ghost ones at that)?.
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by bawomolo(m): 11:29pm On Apr 25, 2008
TopBooty:

Not all of them. A lot of things happen in the north. Can you remember when there was a report about Niger and Chad citizens that receive salary from ministries in Sokoto and Borno states as workers(ghost ones at that)?.

of course there are going to be immigrants, but the fact remains that most notherners(nupe, hausa,tiv, fulani etc) are indigenous to the area. their marginal enrollment in ABU and co is enough to show that education isn't a priority in the north. overall, we are reaping the results of underfunding our educational system. dumb kids would grow up to emulate their corrupt leaders.
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by 4Him1(m): 11:32pm On Apr 25, 2008
Nigerian ministers are forever lamenting. Is there a Federal ministry of Lamentations?
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by bawomolo(m): 11:35pm On Apr 25, 2008
politics is about putting on a show u know, you have to show u care about the people
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by Uche2nna(m): 11:35pm On Apr 25, 2008
TopBooty:

Who prepared their paper work? Did they just fly in from Niger and take over the Nigerian ministry. For all You know, one alhaji from the north might be using their names to collect salaries. Mind you, those guys from Niger don't particularly like to work. THEY PREFER TO BEG.
Re: 11 Million Nigerian Children Out Of School by Kobojunkie: 11:37pm On Apr 25, 2008
oldie:

I searched all day for the ref that put the number at 18 million but have yet to find it ( will keep searching). in 2006,  UNICEF puts the school-age population (6-18) in Nigeria at 45 million. So, I don't think it is actually unreasonable, if you ask me.

This I was able to located http://bellevuecollege.edu/liberalarts/sir/images/Nigeriafinal.pdf

(1) (Reply)

Nji Administrator In Alleged N6.5 Billion Fraud / Islamic Banking The Real Motive. / Northern Leader in LAgos Ask Nigerians Why They Are Not Protesting Against BH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.