Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (22132 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 10:01am On Apr 23, 2010
11million people in Lagos live in slums?

What is the population of the entire Lagos State?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Ibime(m): 10:14am On Apr 23, 2010
Lagos is 18 - 20million.

As to whether the BBC is right, it depends on your definition of slum. By the Queens standard, all 20 million Lagosians live in slums. grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 10:19am On Apr 23, 2010
if all of us in Lagos live in slum, then half of londoners live in a slum grin grin grin grin
wtf
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 10:22am On Apr 23, 2010
what is a slum in the first place? anyone with BBC's definition? undecided
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 10:39am On Apr 23, 2010
My dict's definition :

slum [slum]
noun (plural slums)
poor area: an overcrowded area of a city in which the housing is typically [/b]in [b]very bad condition (often used in the plural)No

Now, what is your own definition? what is a very bad house like?

in my own words

A house without water, without good drainage, immobile, lack of proper ventilation, lack of privacy is a very bad conditional house. if this is what a slum means, then they might be right, but 11million people living in this kinda house in Lagos? i doubt that.

so let me break it down a little.

6-8million people live in the above described condition in my book.

4-6million people live in houses with water, good drainage, but around the above described condition.

that is 14million people already, so how did they come up with the 11million ratio of slum dwellers? did they go about checking the houses to know if they contain the basic needed appliances/materials of a standard house?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by furacao(m): 10:42am On Apr 23, 2010
When will our government respond to this slander
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by DisGuy: 10:50am On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

My dict's definition :

slum [slum]
noun (plural slums)
poor area: an overcrowded area of a city in which the housing is typically [/b]in [b]very bad condition (often used in the plural)No

in my own words

A house without water, without good drainage, immobile, lack of proper ventilation, lack of privacy is a very bad conditional house. if this is what a slum means, then they might be right, but 11million people living in this kinda house in Lagos? i doubt that.

4-6million people live in houses with water, good drainage, but around the above described condition.

that is 14million people already, so how did they come up with the 11million ratio of slum dwellers? did they go about checking the houses to know if they contain the basic needed appliances/materials of a standard house?

How did you come up with the figure yourself? 6-8 millions people, did you go about checking the houses.  .   .   .
lets see your book tongue

furacao:

When will our government respond to this slander

exactly, i'll be very interested in the statistics and why these stats arent available to everyone in the first place anyway?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 10:53am On Apr 23, 2010
And if anyone says anything against this, some people on Nairaland will say "Nigerians don't like to hear the truth BS"
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by candylips(m): 11:03am On Apr 23, 2010
where did you get the stats from abi una just dey pluck numbers from the air.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 23, 2010
Good for the government.

Let them use this as an opportunity to address this issue.

Nigerians are too arrogant to accept reality.

This is reality.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 11:17am On Apr 23, 2010
Dis Guy:

How did you come up with the figure yourself? 6-8 millions people, did you go about checking the houses.  .   .   .
lets see your book tongue

exactly, i'll be very interested in the statistics and why these stats arent available to everyone in the first place anyway?

I said in my book because i live in Lagos and i know the kinda houses we have in Lagos in the mainland and the kind we have in the island and other places, i know where we have more of the population and where we have less residential places.

my stat is based on my own assertion.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 11:19am On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

Good for the government.

Let them use this as an opportunity to address this issue.

Nigerians are too arrogant to accept reality.

This is reality.

And what is the reality? do you know the stats of housing in Brazil by just visiting for 2-5 months? where can you possibly cover in 2-5 months?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 11:32am On Apr 23, 2010
[size=14pt]What is wrong with Nigerians? angry In other countries, they would ask serious questions about vast areas could be so primitive.[/size]

Many people don't even realise that any area that has open gutters is a slum; fit only for animals.

Yes, BBC have an agenda, but they arent inventing stuff to use against us. Its right there for each and every one of us to see, but we bleeping don't care about each other! How can places like Makoko even exist? How? In a modern country? How? Nigeria as it currently is organised, is a cruel country. Some are thinking about how the Nigerian govt will retaliate. . . Una no get shame? No be only "retaliate"! Make una go United Nations! Rubbish!

If you go to any [/b]market in a small country like Jamaica, you will find that every peace of meat for sale bears a govt stamp. If you sell meat that isn't stamped, you go to jail (because, for goodness sake, you could be selling poison). Every piece of meat is sold by weight. The food inspectors are very neatly dressed and take pride in their work. Guess what?. . . [b]Jamaica makes far less money than some Nigerian states.
Has any of you seen the way cattle are slaughtered and meat sold in Nigeria? shocked

Damn all of you who are feeling slighted that the BBC has filmed things that are evident to each and every one of us. We see these things and do nothing, is that BBC's fault to?
If you regularly droppings in a field and someone decides to film you; do you have the right to complain? "Oh, imagine! They actually didn't even check to see how nice my house is, the only thing that bothers them is that I droppings in the field!" . . .Anyway, I'll leave you with this photo of Jamaican police (now imagine 9ja police hanging from pickups without headlamps and demanding "roger" at road blocks).

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 11:35am On Apr 23, 2010
rrrrrrrrrrrrrruuubbbissssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 11:37am On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]What is wrong with Nigerians? angry In other countries, they would ask serious questions about vast areas could be so primitive.[/size]

Many people don't even realise that any area that has open gutters is a slum; fit only for animals.

Yes, BBC have an agenda, but they arent inventing stuff to use against us. Its right there for each and every one of us to see, but we bleeping don't care about each other! How can places like Makoko even exist? How? In a modern country? How? Nigeria as it currently is organised, is a cruel country. Some are thinking about how the Nigerian govt will retaliate. . . Una no get shame? No be only "retaliate"! Make una go United Nations! Rubbish!

If you go to [b]any [/b]market in a small country like Jamaica, you will find that every peace of meat for sale bears a govt stamp. If you sell meat that isn't stamped, you go to jail (because, for goodness sake, you could be selling poison). Every piece of meat is sold by weight. The food inspectors are very neatly dressed and take pride in their work. Guess what?. . . Jamaica makes far less money than some Nigerian states.
Has any of you seen the way cattle are slaughtered and meat sold in Nigeria? shocked

Damn all of you who are feeling slighted that the BBC has filmed things that are evident to each and every one of us. We see these things and do nothing, is that BBC's fault to?
If you regularly droppings in a field and someone decides to film you; do you have the right to complain? "Oh, imagine! They actually didn't even check to see how nice my house is, the only thing that bothers them is that I droppings in the field!" . . .Anyway, I'll leave you with this photo of Jamaican police (now imagine 9ja police hanging from pickups without headlamps and demanding "roger" at road blocks).

And by who's definition is this.

If that is the case over half of the whole world live in slums.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by jaybee3(m): 11:37am On Apr 23, 2010
@beaf
What a comparison grin What's the total population in Jamaica?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sojjy: 11:40am On Apr 23, 2010
I hate listening to bbc news nor watching it especially when it has to do with Africa as a continent.The journalist have never reported any positive thing about Africa.I am not amazed about their report on Lagos,they are just too bias as if there are no slum in fucking countries.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 11:40am On Apr 23, 2010
jay bee:

@beaf
What a comparison grin What's the total population in Jamaica?

What a funny question! Whats the total population of the US?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 11:41am On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

And by who's definition is this.

If that is the case over half of the whole world live in slums.

Open any dictionary, check the meaning of "slum".

sojjy:

I hate listening to bbc news nor watching it especially when it has to do with Africa as a continent.The journalist have never reported any positive thing about Africa.I am not amazed about their report on Lagos,they are just too bias as if there are no slum in bleeping countries.

You are right, the BBC has an almost racist attitude toward Africa. But the fact remains, the areas they have filmed exist in Nigeria; thats the reality. Lets take care of our development and then we can rise in righteous anger when we are slighted. Right now, we should just be quiet and ashamed about it.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by jaybee3(m): 11:42am On Apr 23, 2010
Why don't u just compare like for like  grin grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

And what is the reality? do you know the stats of housing in Brazil by just visiting for 2-5 months? where can you possibly cover in 2-5 months?

I am not going to stroke anyone’s ego.

I lived in Lagos all my life and still love that city.

But it is a hard fact that large parts of Lagos, Ibadan, Aba etc are vast slums that we would not want even our enemies to live in.

Onitsha is the worst of them all. Onitsha is one big SLUM.

The sooner we start to sort out this mess instead of living in cuckoo land the better.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 23, 2010
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by EloSela(f): 11:45am On Apr 23, 2010
Hi OP

Can you provide an official link as evidence of what the BBC actually said please. I doubt they would make such a statement without having hardcore stats to back it up.

honeric01
link=topic=435601.msg5940096#msg5940096 date=1272015555:

My dict's definition :

slum [slum]
noun (plural slums)

in my own words

Out of all the houses in Lagos, how many actually have running water, a flushing toilet, good drainage system?  
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 11:49am On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

I am not going to stroke anyone’s ego.

I lived in Lagos all my life and still love that city.

But it is a hard fact that large parts of Lagos, Ibadan, Aba etc are vast slums that we would not want even our enemies to live in.

The sooner we start to sort out this mess instead of living in cuckoo land the better.

stop saying rubbish, you must have lived in Lagos in the 90s to be thinking like this, most Lagos citizens have wisen up, if your house is not okay enough, they won't rent it and the competition is getting stiff too, people are selling other people's houses to unknown people once they see your house is too wretched and weak, they automatically take you for a poor landlord so because of this, more landlords are upgrading their houses.

Yes, we have lot of not up to standard houses in Lagos, this i cant lie about, but to say 11million out of 18million live in slums is like saying 130 million Nigerians live in slums out of 140 million.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 11:51am On Apr 23, 2010
Ibime:

Lagos is 18 - 20million.

As to whether the BBC is right, it depends on your definition of slum. By the Queens standard, all 20 million Lagosians live in slums.  grin

GBAM!

To the average Oyinbo man this is a slum (or at best, at its boundary):

To most of us, that is not a slum at all.

The expect a Nigerian to be living, on the average, a place like this:

For us, this is the type of place the average middle-class stays, not for poor people at all.

Most council estates (places where working class poor stay) in London, if people do not piss in lifts, is almost at the standard of Eric Moore towers and 1004 Towers (pre-refurbishment).
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 11:51am On Apr 23, 2010
EloSela:

Hi OP

Can you provide an official link as evidence of what the BBC actually said please. I doubt they would make such a statement without having hardcore stats to back it up.

Out of all the houses in Lagos, how many actually have running water, a flushing toilet, good drainage system?  

Well, from the stats we have here, the answer is less than 5 million.

The unfortunate 11 million get water from wells, S.hit in latrines and empty their waste into the streets.
undecided undecided undecided

I lived in Lagos most of my life, and this is a BIG lie.

But if they say we all live in slums, who are we to argue.

Our almighty masters have spoken, and we must all stay silent and shiver.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 11:52am On Apr 23, 2010
EloSela:

Hi OP

80% IMO because in Lagos now, it's a crime not to have a sulk-away, WS, if any house is found not to have these, a warning of 3 months is given to them to provide these amenities or the house is closed down and locked, if you doubt me ask landlords of rented houses and they will tell you this.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 11:53am On Apr 23, 2010
@sagamite

the first picture you posted is a market. Most residential areas in Lagos do not look like that.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 11:56am On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

Well, from the stats we have here, the answer is less than 5 million.

The unfortunate 11 million get water from wells, S.hit in latrines and empty their waste into the streets.
undecided undecided undecided

I lived in Lagos most of my life, and this is a BIG lie.

But if they say we all live in slums, who are we to argue.

Our almighty masters have spoken, and we must all stay silent and shiver.

You live in Lagos yet you don't know what is going on around you, what a pity, i challenge you to go around this saturday after environmental, check the houses around you and see if they don't have wells, boreholes and sulk-away, then come back here and tell us your findings.

Any house with a sulk-away have WS toilets.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 11:58am On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

@sagamite

the first picture you posted is a market. Most residential areas in Lagos do not look like that.

I know, I could not really find anything on par quickly.

Oyinbo would likely label it slum as it is crowded.

frosbel:

Chei!

By far the worst Nigerian city I have ever been to.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 11:59am On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite:

GBAM!

To the average Oyinbo man this is a slum (or at best, at its boundary):

To most of us, that is not a slum at all.

The expect a Nigerian to be living, on the average, a place like this:

For us, this is the type of place the average middle-class stays, not for poor people at all.

Most council estates (places where working class poor stay) in London, if people do not piss in lifts, is almost at the standard of Eric Moore towers and 1004 Towers (pre-refurbishment).

Geez, you are so out of touch about Lagos, that pix is a market and that other house you posted is a business building, those are the types used for office (one man biz) for cyber cafes and business centers.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:02pm On Apr 23, 2010
Just one example. . . If you or your maigaurd (or anybody else) has to hop across open gutter's; you live in a slum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Forgive Boko-Haram: Turai Pleads With Jonathan / APC CRISIS: Buhari Meets Atiku, Oyegun And Others / Atiku Hasn’t Travelled To US – Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.