Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood (9464 Views)

Sen Achonu(PDP) Alerts On Plot To Rig Imo Senatorial Re-run / Heavy Flood After Rainfall In Edo State. SCREENSHOT. / Heavy Flood In Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by mukina2: 5:23pm On May 21, 2013
FG ALERTS STATES ON LIKELY HEAVY FLOOD

The Federal Government has advised States and Nigerians living in flood prone communities to take precautionary measures against heavy flood which may result from torrential rainfall as well as opening of the Lagdo dam by the Cameroonian authorities as it happened last year.

This warning was given by the Minister of Water Resources, Mrs Sarah Ochekpe in a meeting with the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr Doyin Okupe in her office.

According to Mrs. Ochekpe, in view of the fact that the Kashimbilla multi-purpose dam being constructed by the Federal Government in Taraba state to reduce the impact of water released from Cameroon is not yet completed, there is a need for concerted efforts by state governments to mitigate the likely effect of the large volume of water that may be released from the Cameroonian dam in the peak of the raining season.

While stating that Nigeria and Cameroon have reached a substantial level of understanding on how to prevent an occurrence of the devastation caused to Nigerian communities last year, the Water Resources Minister urged state government to complement this initiative by clearing drainages and evacuating people from flood plains in their states.

She also disclosed that work is at various advanced stages on twenty three dam projects which the Jonathan administration embarked upon to provide safe water for different communities, irrigation for farmers and generate additional megawatts for the power sector in the country.

Ochekpe said six of the dams located in Imo, Ondo, Katsina, Abia, and the Federal Capital Territory are ready for commissioning while the Kashimbilla multi- purpose dam will be ready before the next raining season.

Speaking earlier, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr Doyin Okupe said the Jonathan administration has made greater impact on all sectors of the Nation’s socio-economic landscape than any previous administration in two years.

He stressed the need for greater collaboration between the Ministry of Water Resources and the department of Public Affairs in order to effectively transmit the giant strides of the Transformation Agenda in the Water sector to the public.

Bamidele Salam
Head, Media,
Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President(Public Affairs)

1 Like

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Diasporan(m): 5:30pm On May 21, 2013
Alert has been issued and people won't listen.Later they will still blame GEJ for it

3 Likes

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Valto(m): 5:34pm On May 21, 2013
thumbs up GEJ.. u are gradually living up to expectation!

1 Like

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Mospring(m): 5:35pm On May 21, 2013
Diasporan: Alert has been issued and people won't listen.Later they will still blame GEJ for it
Bank Transact Alert... lets see the interest incurement!.....interesting we re developing like the western!!!. lets see hoe it works!..
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by DJDOLA(m): 5:35pm On May 21, 2013
Ok we will pray over it
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by imsuboi(m): 5:36pm On May 21, 2013
Jeez!
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by azimibraun: 5:36pm On May 21, 2013
chai! and my guy don collect house for flood avenue o! Jah rastafarai
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by lain: 5:37pm On May 21, 2013
Govt should also take precautionary measures and make sure that those to be affected dont suffer undue hardship..

1 Like

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 21, 2013
citizens living around water(rivers,etc)...should evacuate their lives and property from that place asap....honestly that is the best citizens can do, government should employ serious measures that will ensure no loss of a single human life if d flood finally takes place
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by andrewozed: 5:38pm On May 21, 2013
Flood is always an issue in this country becuase of poor drain construction and maintenance. Well, so far lagos ministry of drainage services has been proactive in desilting drains and constructing new ones but unfortunately, they didnt start on time, well, its still better than nothing.E be like say i carry first today o
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Shakara123(m): 5:40pm On May 21, 2013
Good one. But was it me who didn't read in-between the line or it is for fact that the likely states to be affected were not mentioned?
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by sylve11: 5:43pm On May 21, 2013
Okay, i have got my dam built already. cool
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by LEvuls(m): 5:44pm On May 21, 2013
running to make front page
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by egift(m): 5:46pm On May 21, 2013
Everything is wrong with this "Alert". It is very shallow. Questions:
1. What states, locations, paths and communities are in danger?
2. What time or period are we expecting impact or period of danger?
3. What do they advise people to do? (Run from their communities, build re-enforcements, canals, elevations - What?)
4. Will the Dam projects listed in the "alert" article reduce or increase the possibility of flooding? (Cos I don't know why the referenced them when warning about floods).

4 Likes

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Melahou(m): 5:47pm On May 21, 2013
alert or no alert there will still be heavy flood,it has always been like that
year in year out.
there is noting new about it.

1 Like

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by ifyalways(f): 5:47pm On May 21, 2013
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed. Giving out warning every year is not enough,what have they done to aid the inhabitants?
No relief centers or camps, nothing but mere warning, where are those people gonna move to?
In a country where a senator renovates his house with 60M, this warning without support for the soon to be disposed victims is an insult

2 Likes

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:48pm On May 21, 2013
Diasporan: Alert has been issued and people won't listen.Later they will still blame GEJ for it

I don't get FG oooh. you refuse to complete the dredging of rivers into tributaries since the past 15 years (even when billions have been allocated for the project year-in, year-out) Yet you open your saliva-dripping mouth to say, Hey people, It looks cloudy, If it rains please don't get wet

Rather than do your work, you want people to clear the gutters to make up for your failure to tackle the problem

3 Likes

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by SmarisAjur(f): 5:59pm On May 21, 2013
Though the states were not mentioned, its good to know before hand that it will occur. Those affected on the previous desaster should evacuate soon or be alert 24 7.
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by ceejay80s(m): 5:59pm On May 21, 2013
I don die o!
Me wey go rent house on top water
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by oyin01(m): 6:02pm On May 21, 2013
DJDOLA: Ok we will pray over it
ode, praying over what? Mtcheew
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 21, 2013
I no fit read that stuff joor... Tell me the Location ASAP!!
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by vanbonattel: 6:13pm On May 21, 2013
I have canoe to sell, those in riverine areas should sell their car and buy canoe shap shap.
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Haslad(m): 6:34pm On May 21, 2013
NICE INFORMATION
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by tspun(m): 6:36pm On May 21, 2013
oh noooo pls not again!!!!
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Phikom(m): 6:38pm On May 21, 2013
i pray people of Nigeria with recalcitrant ears and stubborn heads will heed to this.....
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by batstan(m): 6:48pm On May 21, 2013
Phikom: i pray people of Nigeria with recalcitrant ears and stubborn heads will heed to this.....
amin
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by mu2sa2: 7:19pm On May 21, 2013
Worldwide people dont want to leave their homes. If u relocate from ur home u remain a refugee wherever u go. People will blame GEJ because the govt ought to hav at least provided logistical support.
Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by enyice(m): 7:47pm On May 21, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

I don't get FG oooh. you refuse to complete the dredging of rivers into tributaries since the past 15 years (even when billions have been allocated for the project year-in, year-out) Yet you open your saliva-dripping mouth to say, Hey people, It looks cloudy, If it rains please don't get wet

Rather than do your work, you want people to clear the gutters to make up for your failure to tackle the problem

And you expect govt to clear your gutter for you, in lagos state, every last saturday of the month between 7a.m to 10a.m is tagged "sanitation time"... As a good citizen of naija, what do you do with yours? Sleep? Wash your cloths? Or sleep again?

Perhaps, you need to learn a thing or two about social responsibilities and when you do, you'll understand the little things you need to do as a good citizen... E.g proper disposition of ur waste and cleaning/clearing your gutter.

If you disagree, you can wait till you get over to florida... I heard their govt does everything for them... For the meantime, THIS IS NIGERIA!

1 Like

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by isartha2000: 9:31pm On May 21, 2013
Thank God we have an action gov in Osun that takes flood prevention very serious

1 Like

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by Ama28(f): 9:40pm On May 21, 2013

So after the alert what are these people supposed to do and where are they to go to?

1 Like

Re: FG Alerts On Likely Heavy Flood by elampiro(m): 10:18pm On May 21, 2013

It is not enough to just issue alerts. Have camps been built? Has the government made provision for food, drugs and relief materials? Will the kids abandon schools? What about he villagers' farms and animals, properties.

It is not easy to just vacate villages. But to where?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Army Releases Daily Trust Maiduguri Editor / BREAKING: Ize-iyamu Overtakes Obaseki, Leads With Wide Margin (photos) / Shettima Arrives US For AfDP World Food Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.