Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day (7907 Views)

Buhari Can't Make A Dollar Equal Naira - Dan Nwanyanwu / Serve Nigerians, Not My Husband, Aishat Tells Buhari’s Aides / Nigerian Visa Goes For A Dollar In 13 Countries - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by toluene12: 10:12am On May 22, 2013
1 dollar per day= #4500 per month. I'm sure very few nigerians earn this amount monthly- most likely per time job or locum. However, poverty definition now includes dependents and total amount earned by a family.
A wheelbarrow pusher will do well to earn btw #10000-15000/ month, but that amount may not cater for a family of four( husband, housewife and 2 children).
That's how they came about 54% of nigerians living below poverty level(2010 poverty index). Remember these figures includes children and elderly who are not working but are dependent on the workforce population. Therefore those working must earn enough to take care of themselves and the population not working.
For example in the U.S poverty is defined as a family earning below $20000 per year. Based on this figure, recent survey shows that 15% of americans are poor.

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nosyke(m): 10:13am On May 22, 2013
Chinaimporter: [size=18pt]my family was living on less than 70 naira per day in 1999 and we where 4 ppl.that was b4 i made it and now i live in a
Mansion and i have no poor family member or friend thank to just 5 months of drug pushing in 2006
My brothers,poverty is not an option just dont kill or harm pple when hustlin[/size]

Who opened Yaba left's gate for you to run out?
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Kx: 10:16am On May 22, 2013
Nawa o.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Okijajuju: 10:17am On May 22, 2013
1 Dollar = 150 naira.

80% of Nigerians living on less than 150 naira a day is just impossible. Even if na Gala sef 80% of Nigerians dey chop 2 times a day.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by HARDEYLEKE(m): 10:31am On May 22, 2013
Ajibel: This is a very big insalt on Nigerians. How can one say 80% of Nigerians live below $1 Do they know what poverty really is? Some adults sha got cotton wools in their brain angry
lmao...
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 10:46am On May 22, 2013
These there re_search is so nonsence wen I go to work my morning food alone is 250 grin in the afternoon nkOor I enter iya yetunde buka I order for 3wrap of eba cheesy and 2meat in the night nkooor I go oga uche corner go order for rice and egg and fish my guy 700 don go oo cheesy av not talk of r/charge card ooo and transport fare runing up and down. Abehk dz white guys shud take sum back sit

2 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by MARKREN: 10:47am On May 22, 2013
It is funny how we sit on our chairs and become overnight analysts after reading “one liners” and headlines without any investigation.
How many of us travel outside our areas of commute to & from work?
How many of us go to the Hinterland outside Lagos, state capitals or business hubs where we reside. Over 65% of our population still live in Villages outside these areas , and that is where the “real” poverty our statisticians are talking about is: Where people earn less than a dollar a day.
Just becos you have internet access & manage to look after yourself and family in the city, does not mean its like that for all people ( I served in a village in this country were you grow what you eat and sell the rest in exchange for other necessities, which they cannot still afford. Even in my Village in addition to this, we have a lot of Idle people with no livelihood who rely of “Transfer Payments” for people living in the town to survive) . And for the ignorant comment on paying a laborer over "N200", have you asked him how many dependants he has here and in his village to cater for after paying all the Omonile/Govt dues to enable him operate his cart in the market?.
I don’t need to be a statistician to deduce all this it is right there in our faces but we choose not to see becos we are so blinded by our ignorance, selfishness, tribal sentiments and religious dogma
We should stop this myopic way of analysis and comments on issues if we want move forward as a nation.
Reading some comments on nairaland on issues make me wonder if there is hope at all for this nation as it is no different for those made by the so called leaders we also criticize..................

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by tunde1200(m): 10:47am On May 22, 2013
the stastic is not ok to me it should be 120%
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by collynzo2(m): 10:48am On May 22, 2013
Chinaimporter: [size=18pt]my family was living on less than 70 naira per day in 1999 and we where 4 ppl.that was b4 i made it and now i live in a
Mansion and i have no poor family member or friend thank to just 5 months of drug pushing in 2006
My brothers,poverty is not an option just dont kill or harm pple when hustlin[/size]
Is that not what you are doing by pushing drugs?
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by jajad: 10:50am On May 22, 2013
MARK-REN:
It is funny how we sit on our chairs and become overnight analysts after reading “one liners” and headlines without any investigation.
How many of us go to the Hinterland outside Lagos, state capitals or business hubs where we reside. Over 65% of our population still live in Villages outside these areas , and that is where the “real” poverty our statisticians are talking about is: Where people earn less than a dollar a day.
Just becos you have internet access & manage to look after yourself and family in the city, does not mean its like that for all people ( I served in a village in this country were you grow what you eat and sell the rest in exchange for other necessities, which they cannot still afford. Even in my Village in addition to this, we have a lot of Idle people with no livelihood who rely of “Transfer Payments” for people living in the town to survive) . And for the ignorant comment on paying a laborer over "N200", have you asked him how many dependants he has here and in his village to cater for after paying all the Omonile/Govt dues to enable him operate his cart in the market?.
I don’t need to be a statistician to deduce all this it is right there in our faces but we choose not to see becos we are so blinded by our ignorance, selfishness, tribal sentiments and religious dogma
We should stop this myopic way of analysis and comments on issues if we want move forward as a nation.
Reading some comments on nairaland on issues make me wonder if there is hope at all for this nation as it is no different for those made by the so called leaders we also criticize..................

People living in towns and cities think that's all the Nigeria there is.

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by MARKREN: 10:51am On May 22, 2013
Excellent comment toluene12!!! Thank God, There is still hope (intellectually) after all for our country...........
toluene12: 1 dollar per day= #4500 per month. I'm sure very few nigerians earn this amount monthly- most likely per time job or locum. However, poverty definition now includes dependents and total amount earned by a family.
A wheelbarrow pusher will do well to earn btw #10000-15000/ month, but that amount may not cater for a family of four( husband, housewife and 2 children).
That's how they came about 54% of nigerians living below poverty level(2010 poverty index). Remember these figures includes children and elderly who are not working but are dependent on the workforce population. Therefore those working must earn enough to take care of themselves and the population not working.
For example in the U.S poverty is defined as a family earning below $11000 per year. Based on this figure, recent survey shows that 15% of americans are poor.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Abagworo(m): 10:54am On May 22, 2013
In the South people are much richer when compared with the North. I guess that is why most people don't believe the statistics. In a city like Port-Harcourt, almost everybody lives above the puverty line but that cannot be said of most rural areas in the South and the North. My friend served in Taraba State and told me stories I couldn't believe. Maybe because most Nairalanders are in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, we tend to forget that barely 10 to 15 percent of our population live in these cities.

3 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by collynzo2(m): 10:58am On May 22, 2013
MARK-REN:
Where did you get your own stupid statistic of 65% of our population still living in the villages? Go to your village now that is not a festive period and tell me how many people you can find there. You tried to take a high ground, but ended up making yourself look stupid

5 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 10:59am On May 22, 2013
bloodless:

yeah but that wheelbarrow man probably has a wife and 4-6 dependents...this is the difference people

That's the point most of the posters here do not get. It's easy to type nonsense on the internet based on one's smug and distorted perception of reality. The poverty rate in Nigeria is ALARMING, and yes, it is true that up to 80% live on a dollar or two a day or. The so-called wheel-barrow pushers, factory labourers, etc are even fortunate. There are millions more that are UNEMPLOYED. Even those that are (under)employed have several dependants; how much do you think the average labourer's child lives on daily?

Meanwhile, what is the authorised minimum wage in Nigeria? N18,000/month (which some governors are even reluctant to pay). For those that are 'lucky' enough to have these minimum wage jobs at all, how much will be left after paying house rents, paying daily transport costs, utility bills, etc? How much is left to pay school fees and provide even N50 pocket money daily for dependants? Therein lies the true nature of the problem.

Some of us that are relatively privileged need to wake up and smell the coffee, get off our high horses, and come down to face the ugly reality of things. You need to go to the slums and inner city suburbs to see children, teenagers, and grown ass young adults loafing around with absolutely nothing in their pockets. Let us not be deceived by the ostentatious 1% upper class and the pretentious 19% middle class(es). There is abject poverty in the land.

3 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 11:06am On May 22, 2013
MARK-REN:

Thank you very much. The level of ignorance, deliberate deceit, shameless self-centredness, and downright cluelessness one encounters daily on Nairaland is shocking. People just can't see beyond their noses, and they think the world begins and ends in their living rooms.

3 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by mamaaustin(f): 11:09am On May 22, 2013
Its actually quite feasible.
A family of 4 people with a net income of =N=20,000 per month is living on less than $1.00 per day.
How much are house boys, house girls, gardeners and gatemen paid per month? What of private primary school teachers (those working in mushroom schools?) what of petty traders, hawkers, drivers, cleaners, artisans etc. How many millions of Nigerians fall under this category?
Considering also that lower income families tend to have larger families of four or more children, makes the statistics too much of a possibility

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 11:13am On May 22, 2013
Lmaooo Look at Nigerians trying to deceive themselves that they are not a Nation filled with poor, wretched and financially hopeless people.

2 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by MARKREN: 11:14am On May 22, 2013
@collynzo2 I will not descend to your level of intellect in responding to your comment.
Your response typifies the average Nigerian; Lacking any real meaning in content or tact in its delivery.
Kindly read the FOS report published monthly which makes inference from the last census report issued and then make a proper, comment/remark.

3 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Abagworo(m): 11:17am On May 22, 2013
mamaaustin: Its actually quite feasible.
A family of 4 people with a net income of =N=20,000 per month is living on less than $1.00 per day.
How much are house boys, house girls, gardeners and gatemen paid per month? What of private primary school teachers (those working in mushroom schools?) what of petty traders, hawkers, drivers, cleaners, artisans etc. How many millions of Nigerians fall under this category?
Considering also that lower income families tend to have larger families of four or more children, makes the statistics too much of a possibility

My gardener is paid 15k while the Gateman is paid 25k. The gardener works for many people and they each pay 10 to 15k. So don't look down on a gardener. He could be earning up to 150 to 200k per month. In fact all those people you mentioned earn nothing less than 20k a month.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by swizzle(m): 11:23am On May 22, 2013
Is one dollar now 10,000 naira?
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by mjames: 11:30am On May 22, 2013
They should go and sit down, think of other things to analys.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 11:31am On May 22, 2013
toluene12: 1 dollar per day= #4500 per month. I'm sure very few nigerians earn this amount monthly- most likely per time job or locum. However, poverty definition now includes dependents and total amount earned by a family.
For example in the U.S poverty is defined as a family earning below $11000 per year. Based on this figure, recent survey shows that 15% of americans are poor.

Thanks for breaking it down to those who have no inkling about how data is gathered.

Anyway, the dollar-a-day benchmark, which was always controversial, has become defunct - extreme poverty is now gauged using the $1.25/day yardstick grin

Dollar benchmark: The rise of the $1-a-day statistic
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by collynzo2(m): 11:36am On May 22, 2013
MARK-REN:
@collynzo2 I will not descend to your level of intellect in responding to your comment.
Your response typifies the average Nigerian; Lacking any real meaning in content or tact in its delivery.
Kindly read the FOS report published monthly which makes inference from the last census report issued and then make a proper, comment/remark.
What have you acheived with your own intellect other than coming on NL and probably other internet forums to put down people? Your comments smacks of frustration, you are now referring me to a report from a govt agency that says 65% of Nigerians live in rural areas but you rejected the one that says 80% live above a dollar per day, why didn't you analyse the former and see if it's actually true. I know what I think of people that use phrases like average Nigerian but I'll keep it to myself for now. If you are that good you should be working as an expatriate in one of those your ideal countries by now not wasting away in Nigeria and complaining.

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:41am On May 22, 2013
Poor understanding of statistics and economics coupled with denial is worrying you people. When a barrow pusher earns 4000 naira, how is it spent? 1000 goes to the motor park barrow pushers association. Another 500 to the traders association and other bribes. 500 for transport. He has 4 children. Average daily school fees, transport and supplies: 800. Wife's upkeep: 200. Rent: 300. Thus 700 naira remaining to feed 6 mouths. 117 naira per person is less than 1 dollar. So the study is true.

It is not how much you make but how much you survive on.

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by collynzo2(m): 11:48am On May 22, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: Poor understanding of statistics and economics coupled with denial is worrying you people. When a barrow pusher earns 4000 naira, how is it spent? 1000 goes to the motor park barrow pushers association. Another 500 to the traders association and other bribes. 500 for transport. He has 4 children. Average daily school fees, transport and supplies: 800. Wife's upkeep: 200. Rent: 300. Thus 700 naira remaining to feed 6 mouths. 117 naira per person is less than 1 dollar. So the study is true.

It is not how much you make but how much you survive on.
Have you ever been a barrow pusher to know all these? Very convenient for you to conclude that they are all married with numerous kids, very convenient

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Aksonman: 11:49am On May 22, 2013
I stand by the NOI report which concludes that only 10% of Nigerians can be said to live on less than a dollar per day.
U all should know that most of these organizations that post horrible poverty rates in Nigeria only do so to attract more poverty alleviation aid and funding from international donors. And these moneys always fall back into their pockets. The poor Nigerians be they 10% or 80% still remain uncatered for.
That's the politics involved.
I wish Nairaland had first posted the NOI report before posting this one. It would have helped most 'champions of Nigerian poverty' on NL to understand better.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by collynzo2(m): 11:55am On May 22, 2013
Akson man: I stand by the NOI report which concludes that only 10% of Nigerians can be said to live on less than a dollar per day.
U all should know that most of these organizations that post horrible poverty rates in Nigeria only do so to attract more poverty alleviation aid and funding from international donors. And these moneys always fall back into their pockets. The poor Nigerians be they 10% or 80% still remain uncatered for.
That's the politics involved.
I wish Nairaland had first posted the NOI report before posting this one. It would have helped most 'champions of Nigerian poverty' on NL to understand better.
Yes boss, these NGOs are only looking for grants from foreign governments, no one sees what they do with the money, they are just as corrupt as our politicians
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Willgates(m): 11:57am On May 22, 2013
80 wat? Dat means m included....so only our puliticians can afford $1 a day? Coz dy mke up d oda 20%. Lolz. What a joke!

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by TableLeg(m): 12:00pm On May 22, 2013
Flawed stats ...... Absolutely untrue!
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Willgates(m): 12:06pm On May 22, 2013
MARK-REN:

no one is disputing the fact that those set of peopul aint in existence. But they make up 80% of Nigerians? O Niggur please!
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Willgates(m): 12:06pm On May 22, 2013
MARK-REN:

no one is disputing the fact that those set of peopul aint in existence. But they make up 80% of Nigerians? O Niggur please!
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Kslib(m): 12:09pm On May 22, 2013
All of you supporting this statistics should first help me define the meaning of the word "POVERTY"..
A.. Is it not having enough food to feed onself,where to sleep and no cloth to wear.
B.. Is it not having enough money to cater for your "ESSENTIAL" needs

LASTLY, can someone who has food to eat,cloth to wear,where to sleep be considered poor...
Again, what makes you think those in rural areas are poorer than those in towns/cities? What is even your defination of "poor"?. Must you have tv,internet connection,firdge e.t.c before you can be classified as "not poor"...
Yes,there are many many poor people in naija who cant feed well,cloth themselves but saying "80% of Nigerians live below 1dollar is an insult" except i'm getting the meaning of "1dollar" wrong..

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oyo Youths Protest High Cost Of Living / Full Text Of Save Nigeria Group Press Conference / Live Report Kwara Bye Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.