Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? (20582 Views)

Help! My Friend Wants To Divorce Her Husband For Kissing Their Baby. / I Love My Wife. I Caught My Bestfriend bedding Her, Should I Divorce Her. / I Don't Want To Divorce Her,but Do I Have Any Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by damilolaluv(f): 3:24pm On May 23, 2013
Nuzo':

I took off bro.

However, I had one when I was in school. She threatened to leave me if I don't give her hot slaps and bites whenever we were making love. I was much younger then...so I had to explore. I don't need to tell you the level of internal explossion and vibration she displays anytime a very hot slap lands on her face. wink

I had to leave later tho'. It was becoming traumatic for me instead. shocked
I think that is more of a fetish. S & M but a lot of women are not like this. How many actually ask men to beat them? Anyone who enjoys such has obviously got a loose screw somewhere.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by damilolaluv(f): 3:26pm On May 23, 2013
BABE!:
Not surprised. That country needs national rehab. When a foundation of a country, the family, is so screwed up, what do we expect from the country as a whole ?

I smiled when I heard the girl say "rat poison".

I've told my man from the start that if we ever get married and he's caught cheating and he dies the next day, I killed him. Love hard, hate hard! Cheats are disgusting beings, not to talk of wife beaters .......

Heck, I'm TeamMellie on abc's scandal! grin
why must you kill him? Why can"t you just leave him or rather go to the lawyers and get your share. Hmmm

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by 50calibre(m): 3:32pm On May 23, 2013
stillwater:

If bride price is what is making nigerian men not to treat their women right, I'm all for getting rid of the tradition. Even though i believe it wouldn't stop domestic abuse or cheating. Take India for example. India women pay dowry to the man, and are still under oppression and subjugation by their men.

Respect is earned!!!! You are not entitled to it because you have a pe.nis.

I am in no way commending or advocating violence against women, that's for savages. What I'm against is this whole (fairly new) mentality of women feeling they are equal to men.

To be taken seriously as a feminist, you have to act like one. True feminists dont rely on anyone, they feel offended having a man buy them things, they are not ashamed to take a man on a date and pay for it unfortunately all Nigerian women see are the rebellious aspect and fail to rise to the challenge in other aspects.

Until Nigerian women learn to be independent Financially, mentally, psychologically, men will always be gods.

4 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 23, 2013
My dad wasn't only a polygamist but also a sharp bad guy , somebody has 2 beat dat record. But not me, I will luv n respect my wife n children (future tins)

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 23, 2013
Human undecided They blame all their dilemma on somebody, nobody want to be responsible for their own action as adults.

If their life is wayward and nothing to write about but jargons : blame it on their moms and poor upbringing.

If they decided to be lazy even tho their mom was against the idea, they blame it on the man.

Eventually the man start to abuse them, they start to cry foul again undecided

Life's how you make it, continue blaming your own fault on somebody else, As you lay your bed they say

God dey grin
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by oluking: 3:41pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella:
I know the fact on ground but I'll not accept it. The fact that it is a common occurence does not make it acceptable. Nobody should have his/her life threatened constantly because he/she is in a marriage.

Take am easy,just because its a common scenario does not mean you are bound by it.There are still men out there that respect women and treat them right but the reality is most of these women already expect that men will always cheat,abuse them .The real issue is the society is dealing with a serious mindset,which the men will continue to take advantage.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 23, 2013
Personally I'm tired of all these nairaland men that like to pretend as if they are too manly to take nonsense from their women when we know they are chopping shyte and chopping it in mounds by the day. They now come here and pretend they will never tolerate haughtiness from their women when it's all a big lie. Abeg drop the pretense and accept the reality of the situation on your ground.

8 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by armyofone(m): 3:46pm On May 23, 2013
Don't you agree that they are helping Nigerian women/ladies to see the light and creating awareness?
there should be an overhaul in the NiN style of marriage/relationship.
Not asking for a perfect relationship, but something near perfection is not bad for our mothers/sisters.

maclatunji:

A factual woman. I am tired of women who pretend so much on Nairaland. The best way to uplift women is to admit there is a problem and that there is no set of wonder-women anywhere who are immune. That deceptive marketing of super independent "wonder-women" is leading to younger ladies entering miserable marriages faster than I can type- "Jack Robinson". The are so sure of their "special" status before marriage but when they enter they receive the shock of their lives!

I am only reacting to the reactions of some women here to the video.

Thank you.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella:
Maybe your mom would but I know for a fact that my mother wouldn't.
jennykadry:

Actually her response was my first reply to you.

Lol. Perhaps she may say something different but that doesn't necessarily mean she'll act any different when reality strikes. Same thing applies to all you "can't-take-shit-from any man" ladies.
I won't even take the video seriously. Nigerian women do divorce their husbands. Go to various divorce courts around the country and you'll see for yourself or ask any family lawyer you know.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 23, 2013
Signs of the times. Poverty and hunger makes people take BS. A man who feeds and clothes u will give u shyte no doubt about that. Instead of advocating divorce and women lib and all that nonsense, feminist should pull resources and form an NGO that will empower these women so they can have self worth and independence.

Telling women not to take nonsense frm men and all that crap won't work because the woman must eat. If she files for divorce and isn't doing anything tangible then she will have to depend on a man again who will see her as a liability. It's a chain reaction. Break d jinx and empower a woman financially.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 23, 2013
Gaggi: Signs of the times. Poverty and hunger makes people take BS. A man who feeds and clothes u will give u shyte no doubt about that. Instead of advocating divorce and women lib and all that nonsense, feminist should pull resources and form an NGO that will empower these women so they can have self worth and independence.

Telling women not to take nonsense frm men and all that crap won't work because the woman must eat. If she files for divorce and isn't doing anything tangible then she will have to depend on a man again who will see her as a liability. It's a chain reaction. Break d jinx and empower a woman financially.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 3:56pm On May 23, 2013
ileobatojo: Personally I'm tired of all these nairaland men that like to pretend as if they are too manly to take nonsense from their women when we know they are chopping shyte and chopping it in mounds by the day. They now come here and pretend they will never tolerate haughtiness from their women when it's all a big lie. Abeg drop the pretense and accept the reality of the situation on your ground.

I get where you are coming from. Both sides need loads of patience for marriage to work. However, go and check again, no man worthy to be called by that appellation will continually take ish from a woman past a certain threshold. It does not matter how much he loves her or any other factor for that matter.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by MMotimo: 3:57pm On May 23, 2013
For the men who want to raise daughters that do not become victims, take time to know whom you are marrying. Look at her background, ask questions, this woman is going to be the mother of your kids. What you join with is what you produce.

That a woman is fertile does not mean she can parent.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by MMotimo: 4:06pm On May 23, 2013
Gaggi: Signs of the times. Poverty and hunger makes people take BS. A man who feeds and clothes u will give u shyte no doubt about that. Instead of advocating divorce and women lib and all that nonsense, feminist should pull resources and form an NGO that will empower these women so they can have self worth and independence.

In most cases, it is not about money but about being a Mrs. The vast majority of Naija women work yet they are abused by their husbands. I wish I could say it is because of money, but sadly it isn't. It is about keeping the ring at all costs IMO.

When society stops disparaging single/divorced women, we can move forward
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

I get where you are coming from. Both sides need loads of patience for marriage to work. However, go and check again, no man worthy to be called by that appellation will continually take ish from a woman past a certain threshold. It does not matter how much he loves her or any other factor for that matter.

Same goes for the woman. Every individual has a different threshold for tolerating shyte. Some have very low thresholds and for others it's very high.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 23, 2013
oluking:

Pele take am easy when e reach your turn u go endure...u Might even name one of your pikin ENDURANCE grin
That is not endurance, that's just plain stupidity and horrific dehumanization
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 4:12pm On May 23, 2013
armyofone: Don't you agree that they are helping Nigerian women/ladies to see the light and creating awareness?
there should be an overhaul in the NiN style of marriage/relationship.
Not asking for a perfect relationship, but something near perfection is not bad for our mothers/sisters.

I do not really think so. They are mostly building castles on thin ice, you know what follows. Even in the countries you perceive to be "advanced", what we often see and hear of are wrecked marriages where the woman is using the "law" to subdue the man or he ends-up in jail. Surely, those aren't happy homes.

There needs to be a paradigm shift, let people go back to the basics- the man should be the responsible man,the woman should be the humble and submissive wife. That way, wrong behaviour can be easily identified and corrected not the role confusion and conflict that is rampant these days.

It really starts from when you are single. Single life is the foundation of your marriage not some unrelated relic of your past.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 23, 2013
when she grows a d1kc
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 4:17pm On May 23, 2013
ileobatojo:

Same goes for the woman. Every individual has a different threshold for tolerating shyte. Some have very low thresholds and for others it's very high.

Like I did not expect you to reply with this. A woman should be a lot more wiser, subtle and refined. Women who "rule" the world have mastered the art of influencing. Men tend to coerce, I am thinking ala Genghis Khan here.

A woman should not take that up. tongue grin
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 4:19pm On May 23, 2013
Until Nigerian women learn to be independent Financially, mentally, psychologically, men will always be gods.

Well said!!

I personally think most Nigerian women are married to their marriages and it has gotten to the extent that the men now use that as an opportunity to cheat and ride them,because they know she won't dare leave. if thats not the case why would you want to poison your husband? grin why not leave the marriage? the matta tire me o! embarassed
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Flygeriansteve: 4:24pm On May 23, 2013
The shows that the gender equality advocates and feminism crusaders have so much work cut out for them. The ubiquitous internet blowhards who come on here are just an infinitesimal proportion of the largely ignorant and naive women who see cheating and domestic violence as perfectly normal!

As much as Im not an enthusiast of the fiery extremist type feminism, I find this responses shocking...

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 23, 2013
ItsModella:
I agree with you but in a way, our society has misinterpreted religious teachings to justify their flawed mentality. You hear a lot of people saying "it's in the Bible or the Bible is against it". Who told them that?

That is why you should blame soceity and not religion. Before the white man brought religion, women were even treated worse than now. People just misquote scripture to suit their societal and traditional beliefs. They would say the husband is the head of the wife, but they will not quote that the husband should love the wife just like Christ has loved the church. The Bible clearly states that you can divorce on the grounds of infidelity but our sisters won't see that.

It all comes down to upbringing. A girl that saw her mother cheated on and beaten will grow up thinking it is normal. Her mother would have told her all men are the same. So she just believes that to be true. Region has got nothing to d with it.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

Like I did not expect you to reply with this. A woman should be a lot more wiser, subtle and refined. Women who "rule" the world have mastered the art of influencing. Men tend to coerce, I am thinking ala Genghis Khan here.

A woman should not take that up. tongue grin

Yeah, a wise and refined woman will not blindly tolerate repeated physical abuse or blatant, unrepentant, disrespectful cheating on the part of her husband. That is the subject of this video.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 23, 2013
Flygeriansteve: The shows that the gender equality advocates and feminism crusaders have so much work cut out for them. The ubiquitous internet blowhards who come on here are just an infinitesimal proportion of the largely ignorant and naive women who see cheating and domestic violence as perfectly normal!

As much as Im not an enthusiast of the fiery extremist type feminism, I find this responses shocking...

Applause! You don't know how much I appreciate you making this distinction. The people who just spit out the blanket term feminism and crticise it without being specific just come across as ignorant and uncouth.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 23, 2013
There needs to be a paradigm shift, let people go back to the basics- the man should be the responsible man,the woman should be the humble and submissive wife. That way, wrong behaviour can be easily identified and corrected not the role confusion and conflict that is rampant these days.

Who's gonna make that happen today?? grin humbleness and submissiveness has been befouled to ridicule level , you dare not utter that in midst of their circle and you'd be called gullible and illiterate.

It really starts from when you are single. Single life is the foundation of your marriage not some unrelated relic of your past

You'd think ?? Shut the front door! grin

And Oh it's not limited to Nigerians only smiley
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by dayokanu(m): 4:36pm On May 23, 2013
jennykadry: rat poison kwa? Ota pia pia

Nigerians living in nigeria still have a long way to go. Look at that eejit willing to stay in an abusive marriage if her man is taking care of her.

When I told people that being abused in a marriage is related to lazy and women not being able to fend for themselves, Some people here raised voices.

now real people have spoken

As long as some women are lazy and still see marriage as a meal ticket, these abuse wont stop anytime soon

6 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Freiburger(m): 4:37pm On May 23, 2013
dayokanu:

As long as some women are lazy and still see marriage as a meal ticket, these abuse wont stop anytime soon
grin grin grin
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:39pm On May 23, 2013
When I told people that being abused in a marriage is related to lazily and women not being able to fend for themselves, Some people here raised voices.

now real people have spoken

Lazy lazy BUMS!!
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by maclatunji: 4:39pm On May 23, 2013
jidegirl12:

Who's gonna make that happen today?? grin humbleness and submissiveness has been befouled to ridicule level , you dare not utter that in midst of their circle and you'd be called gullible and illiterate.

You'd think ?? Shut the front door! grin

And Oh it's not limited to Nigerians only smiley

Of course it is not. Abuse is a global phenomenon regardless of what some of the ladies here will have us believe.grin

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 23, 2013
ileobatojo:

Yeah, a wise and refined woman will not blindly tolerate repeated physical abuse or blatant, unrepentant, disrespectful cheating on the part of her husband. That is the subject of this video.

+ financially independent .
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by augmentin: 4:41pm On May 23, 2013
marriage is for better and for worse,so there is no time a woman should divorce her husband.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by dayokanu(m): 4:45pm On May 23, 2013
Nashville:

Please do not blame religion but blame self esteem. This is how many Nigerian girls are brought up, they are told as long as the man provides, then he is fine
. No religion preaches staying with a husband that perpetually cheats on you and beats you to death.

On the contrary if these ladies followed the teachings of the bible before getting married, they most likely will never be in those situation because they would never have married men that have no fear of God!

Nail on the Head

The moment Nigeria women stop worshipping money and try to make a living on their own while being able to live within their means this would stop

Most women endure abuse because of laziness and lack of finance.

How many household where the woman is the main earner would she be getting beat up like drum set

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores / My First Year Wedding Anniversary, To God Bethe Glory / Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.