Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,187 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? (34263 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 25, 2013
GooseBaba:

You buy two okada you dey shout investing heavily...it's so obvious that you are day dreaming..because people wey dey run thinz no dey run mouth...

Lol nice insult...run mouth? i didnt open a threat and say title it...look how much investment im making in Ghana...we are having a debate so im just contributing...abi be ko? Okada is not legal in ghana....and you are right the only thing i run is the daily 2 mile jog that i do...but if you ever around Texas and need a job...just look me up ma nig...
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 8:04pm On May 25, 2013
userlist: @GooseBaba

Are you sure you are not an OKADA rider

At least I won't be needing the likes of you to play god with my daily bread....
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 25, 2013
GooseBaba:

Why won't they think its easy... When you all visit, spend money anyhow and tell original fat lies....

Hmm, this is a generalization. Not all diasporans 'spend money anyhow'....on the other hand, if they don't spend money too they'll be insulted and called stingy... undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by collynzo2(m): 8:07pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

As a matter of fact, police got there within 5 minutes but had to wait for armed police officers to arrive. Police officers in UK normally don't carry arms.
what if the guys had decided to kill more people within that time?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by userlist(f): 8:07pm On May 25, 2013
@GooseBaba

You see your self.... Someone else noticed your problem...point of correction you are not helping anyone you are simply helping yourself to accomplish your goals...don't delude yourself thinking you are helping anybody..this your education wey you dey take gra gra dey tell us here...am thinking you are the first person in your family to bag a UNI degree... Am I right or am I right ..? Talk true...

Ignorant one, I never in any of post stated my level of education.
As usual, most of you will always assume (Nigerian Disease).
If I'm not helping anyone, why are you people so jealous and wanting us to come home.
You will never make sense. Like I said before, most of you are debased without knowing it.
Looking at peoples behavior back home, it is not wrong to conclude that 80 to 90% of you folks
are mentally unstable

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by MacLovington(m): 8:07pm On May 25, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]No. I'm convinced that whatever knowledge Nigerians have of the US, especially in the village, is that people go abroad and pick money from money trees. A very bad preconceived notion of "everyone who is abroad is wealthy". I'll speak for myself. When we went home, our relatives, particularly those in the village, literally folded their hands and made us do and pay for everything. No hospitality; we stayed in a hotel. There was never any food. If we were lucky, we'd eat twice a day: breakfast at the hotel, and then a snack very late at night, at the hotel. If there was food at my grandfather's compound, it was paid for by my parents and prepared by us. Anything and everything, they demanded that we pay for it. The only person that had her arms open for us was my dad's distant cousin. His siblings got jealous, put their heads together and got four chickens for us to use to cook ofe akwu.

Another example. My parents went home last year to bury my maternal grandfather. Within 10 days of their arrival, they ran out of cash. She and her relatives decided which drinks and such would be provided at the burial. When it was time to pay, they all said they couldn't afford it and looked at my parents.

If anything, I've come to realize that diasporans are making their relatives back home lazy. The kind of lies and sob stories relatives tell to get their loved ones to send cash. A lot of potential for fiction authors in the village. O di egwu.[/size]

My Dear, no be small thing oo.

My experience during a funeral a few years back completely changed my view of relatives back home.

After I and another relative abroad already sent the lion share of estimated cost, those at home didn't contribute their token share. I ended up requesting money from people abroad (while I was in Naija for the burial) and that was after spending the extra money I went with after just a week.

My impression before leaving was that all the money was already there (we had sent ours before hand from diaspora). They expanded the whole funeral plans expecting that I was coming with a bullion van full of money.

After all this, a family member stood up and said that "these days, only those in diaspora pay for funeral, those in Naija don't contribute". I will loath that man for life.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 25, 2013

but there is nothing wrong with being an okada rider....its an honest job that pays the bills...if thats what he does i approve of it...
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 25, 2013
I think Nigeria has enough people currently on ground to make that nation better. Discussions like this always end up being about which is better, home or away and the result is not always good. Whether we like it or not, people will continue to migrate - whether to or from Nigeria. If we can't make the most with the Nigerians currently in Nigeria, I don't see how change will ever come. Abi no be 130 million people again? It's just like saying you need 200 million to start a business yet you already have 130 million. If you don't have a business plan, whether you get 300 million or not, the plan will fail.
Come on, let's stop making excuses and stop trying to prove who is superior and who is not. Whether home or abroad we are all Nigerians..and we should work towards the collective building up of our country. And I say collective because a lot of people just come back or are there to 'hammer' and forget about the greater intention of making the whole community/country as a whole better.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Sagewood: 8:13pm On May 25, 2013
The OP question should be what Nigerians in the diaspora can do to effect positive changes
in the economy, power generation and supply, education, healthcare, security, technology, etc.
The federal, state and local governments should be coordinating the modernization of Nigeria
with the experts living in abroad and in Nigeria.

The biggest barriers to development in Nigeria are: 1) Lack of visionary leaders, 2) Disorganized private sector,
3) Docile and self- centered citizens.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by userlist(f): 8:14pm On May 25, 2013
@MacLovington

Same experience here.
And this guys will sit on the Internet and insult other people that
are making their mark just because they don't have the opportunity

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 8:14pm On May 25, 2013
pash4naija:

Hmm, this is a generalization. Not all diasporans 'spend money anyhow'....on the other hand, if they don't spend money too they'll be insulted and called stingy... undecided

Not to generalize people visit and show off...I actually had someone tell me that I should have sent my ticket money instead of telling them that I don't have money for over priced meals...
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ifebosco: 8:14pm On May 25, 2013
Sagewood: The OP question should be what Nigerians in the diaspora can do to effect positive changes
in the economy, power generation and supply, education, healthcare, security, technology, etc.
The federal, state and local governments should be coordinating the modernization of Nigeria
with the experts living in abroad and in Nigeria.

The biggest barriers to development in Nigeria are: 1) Lack of visionary leaders, 2) Disorganized private sector,
3) Docile and self- centered citizens.
thank you
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by userlist(f): 8:18pm On May 25, 2013
@ Mr knowitall

You are right bro.
This guy needed to be dealt with
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ifebosco: 8:19pm On May 25, 2013
userlist:

You are right bro.
what are you doing for a living??
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ifebosco: 8:26pm On May 25, 2013

and what is bad been okada rider?nigerians and oga at the top mentality

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by whitecat007: 8:29pm On May 25, 2013
you don't need visa to enter naija, use your naija pali to enter and use your blue one to come back

what about the crime rate in other countries? pay attention to what goes around your neighborhood and see that nowhere is safe

automaticcarzz:

I have not even seen my Nigerian passports since 2005. I will need a Nigerian visa if I decide to visit. I visited for two weeks in December 2005 when I got a land. It is just not conducive enough to be visiting with all these kidnappings, robberies, and so on. I always have my parents to come over. I love to come back but there is nothing positive going on in Nigeria I can point to. I have NTA Plus here and I just shake my head each time I tune to the channel.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 8:31pm On May 25, 2013
userlist:

Ignorant one, I never in any of post stated my level of education.
As usual, most of you will always assume (Nigerian Disease).
If I'm not helping anyone, why are you people so jealous and wanting us to come home.
You will never make sense. Like I said before, most of you are debased without knowing it.
Looking at peoples behavior back home, it is not wrong to conclude that 80 to 90% of you folks
are mentally unstable

It appears you have a bad case of the Nigerian disease... You assumed that people are jealous just because you travel go oyinbo land.... Check you self...and am sure you are not talking about education only to have a high school diploma... Better yet a GED...my Nigerian disease tells me you are in second bracket..
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 8:34pm On May 25, 2013
userlist:

Same experience here.
And this guys will sit on the Internet and insult other people that
are making their mark just because they don't have the opportunity

Assuming again...! Your Nigerian disease no get part two...
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by GooseBaba: 8:39pm On May 25, 2013
userlist:

You are right bro.

Na your type dey deal with person... Can't even run a business...blaming others for its failure...abegii Comot make I see road...
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by dukenestor(m): 8:40pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz:

Check your initial post again. You asked for four Canadians that are richer than Dangote.
Do d checkin
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by turl(m): 8:50pm On May 25, 2013
'bout seven years now, pretty comfy where I am. Self employed, decent money and time to myself. I'll take this over Naija anyday.

As for when I'll return, when there's steady power. If not, when I'm old, One corner there for inside bini. Wake up every morning to shack pami and tell tales of the bad things I used to do "those days". cool
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by hardbody: 8:51pm On May 25, 2013
Billyonaire: Home? People still live abroad ? No comfortable Nigerian lives abroad.

I tire oo. We only holiday abroad and come back home to make bigger mega bucks. Nigeria ROCKS.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 25, 2013
automaticcarzz: I have been living in the U.S since year 2001. I will be returning home when there is 24hr power supply. When there is good road network. When police are able to respond to calls within 5 minutes. When there is emergency health and fire response squad that respond to emergency within 5 minutes. When there is rule and order. When the police stop brutalizing the people they suppose to protect. When there is true democrcy. When the President stops harassing political opponents. When there is adequate security of lives and properties.
United States is 229 years and Nigeria is 53 years so you go wait tireeeee.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by LaidBack01: 9:00pm On May 25, 2013
I just laugh at peeps mocking people that stay abroad, claiming they(Nigerians staying in Nigeria) are busy bulding the country.

Last time I checked, an average Nigerian still gives policemen bribe when they are stuck, throw banana peels and dirts on the street,give bribes to earn those contracts they come here to boast about,still look for ways to configure their phones for internet without paying 1naira, impregnate young girls and give them money for unsafe abortion, bribe their lecturers for marks, pay people to influece their NYSC posting, read newspaper and criticise politicians in the corner of their rooms, still insist on sleeping with potential employees to give them jobs...the list go on and on.

So Nigerians claiming to be buiding Nigeria, what have you done to improve our country

7 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by collynzo2(m): 9:07pm On May 25, 2013
TouchDown:

You with the fancy foreign education, its "truly" and not "truely"...
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by whitecat007: 9:12pm On May 25, 2013
same everywhere, If only Nigerians abroad can come out from under their beds where they have hiding and take a stand in their host countries and stop deluding themselves with African-American struggle, because even the whites know the difference

automaticcarzz:

It is not possible to build a country together when your vote does not count. The will of the people is never respected. A country where rigging of election is the order of the day. A country where election results are prepared before the election takes place.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Mamacita007(f): 9:26pm On May 25, 2013
will return december BGG.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by collynzo2(m): 9:27pm On May 25, 2013
hardbody:

I tire oo. We only holiday abroad and come back home to make bigger mega bucks. Nigeria ROCKS.
way forward!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Osun: The Cheapest State To Live In The South / Fiberesima Ama: A Hidden Island In Rivers State (Video) / Nigerian Airforce Helicopter Crash Lands In Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.