Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,067 members, 7,814,680 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe (39856 Views)

Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 5:10pm On May 27, 2013
tpia@:
Adozazzau

^ Are you nigerian?

You dont seem to be.

Yes tpia@, I am a Nigerian. There is a disease that comes with western educatiin and is called "discrimination". You Southerners suffer from the white man's syndrome and penchant for putting humanity into category buckets. What seemings do I need to posess for you to recognize I am Nigerian?
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by bokohalal(m): 5:14pm On May 27, 2013
The Nupes are not Edos northern neighbour. The Igalas are. You can ask them about us.
Edos viewed some Yoruba tribes as Edos.
The Yoruba seat of power?
The Oba Of Benin would never had declared war on Uhe(Ife).
Oyo was ruled by the same family.
Ibadan came too late to be of importance to Benin.
If Ibadan could stop the Fulanis,Binis would have driven them all the way to Futa Jalon.

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 5:16pm On May 27, 2013
shymexx:

I'm not against the Fulani's. However, I'm against calling a tribe that hasn't achieved much, the most influential on the continent. Africa is too big and has achieved a lot to ridicule our achievements like that. I would've said the same thing, if she alluded the same thing to the Yoruba's. As far as I'm concerned - no tribe in Nigeria deserves that title.

The Fulani's are late-comers. And the fact that they never achieved anything with their own consciousness, says a lot about the type of people they're. Everything they achieved came from foreign ideologies and foreign empowerment.

Mr Shymexx, so are you Yoruba?

What do you mean by "the Fulanis never achieved anything?" What is your definition of achievement, devoid of foreign influence?
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 5:44pm On May 27, 2013
bokohalal: The Nupes are not Edos northern neighbour. The Igalas are. You can ask them about us.
Edos viewed some Yoruba tribes as Edos.
The Yoruba seat of power?
The Oba Of Benin would never had declared war on Uhe(Ife).
Oyo was ruled by the same family.
Ibadan came too late to be of importance to Benin.
If Ibadan could stop the Fulanis,Binis would have driven them all the way to Futa Jalon.

Mr Bokohalal, your name is unique, interesting. Yorubas abandoned their culture to do follow follow on white man culture, that's why everyone have the audacity to talk nonsense and insult them nowadays. If they had stuck to their traditional ways they should not be the scum that everybody spit on today. Yoruba was known in Futadjalon and their empire and greatness is in archived records that documented the Sudanese races. Fulani respect Yoruba more than any other race of people on this side of the Niger. This is why Fulani always turn to them for alliance. You should study history Mr Bokohalal. I like your name, far more acceptable than a bokoharam that wants to throw people back into dark ages.

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 5:55pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

Mr PhysicsQED, You opened with this quote and you finished with a lecture on Bini's much hyped and excessively praised history.

Let me share with you that Bini's glory today is the product of European writings. Much of these writings occured in an era in which the Europeans were obsessed with planting their tongue across the globe so it was an age of romanticized style of writing. Europeans exagerrated their impressions of encounters with natives. If they see something good they called it the most beautiful, and if they see something fair they described it as the worst of any encounter any human should ever be suffered with. This is how those who pioneered African exploration and wrote about it documented the records. The writers behind them used these records to further their own goals and interests in Africa. There were writers who never set foot in places they wrote about and there were writers who passed through a place and wrote as if they spent half their lifetime in it. Europeans distorted the records big time and this was done all over Africa. For people who had no independent written record of their own, like the Binis, of course, these hyped accounts is sweet in your ears. Your neighbors read what Europeans wrote about you and since all you forest people view the white man as a sacred being whose account must not be challenged, your status as a formidable kingdom is further elevated. If the hyped account of your glory match with your military prowess then you should have conquered the Yoruba seat of power or the Nupe seat of power. These were two neighboring powers to you. Gun or no gun, your romanticized kingdom would have been decimated if Fulani went into the forests.

I don't think you're very bright based on your first comment on this thread, but I'll attempt to reason with you anyway.

1. I didn't quote any "romanticized writings" from any Europeans about Benin. When I mentioned the British I was actually alluding to the writings of commander Bacon of the British expedition that conquered Benin on the issue of the use of guns by the Bini (he specifically claimed they didn't use any arrows and he described the volleys of the gun fire from the Bini at numerous points of his writing) and I was referring to the writings of other people who were actually there besides him, but anyone who has any familiarity with Bacon's writings on Benin knows that they are generally extremely negative about the Bini. It is just really naive or plain dumb to think that there are no negative writings or statements about Benin from Europeans when there are several - people simply gave their opinions and naturally, some are going to have a good opinion of certain things and some are going to have a bad opinion of certain things. Even one of the first people to comment on Benin, Duarte Pacheco Pereira, had some very negative things to say about the place, so why would anyone think that the writings of Europeans on Benin, even when some of these writings have negative statements about Benin - and even some of the supposedly "positive" writings on Benin sometimes contain negative statements - are somehow automatically "sweet in my ears"? This is just a silly assumption.

Your claim that "Europeans exagerrated their impressions of encounters with natives. If they see something good they called it the most beautiful, and if they see something fair they described it as the worst of any encounter any human should ever be suffered with" is simply not true because that does not apply to all the writers. I doubt that you've actually read much of these writings that you're referring to, otherwise you would know that it's not that hard to spot exaggeration. Furthermore, many of those sources that are detailed qualify their criticisms or praises of things by going into specifics and don't usually just lean wildly towards one extreme or another. At this point you're just making stuff up.

Then you say: "The writers behind them used these records to further their own goals and interests in Africa. There were writers who never set foot in places they wrote about and there were writers who passed through a place and wrote as if they spent half their lifetime in it. Europeans distorted the records big time and this was done all over Africa."

And yet you seem to be too lazy to cite numerous specific instances of what you're talking about (the names of the authors, what they claimed, and how exactly they were furthering their own goals and interests with what they claimed etc.). It's not news to anyone who has read any European explorers' accounts that they simply sometimes wrote wrong or incorrect information so you're not saying anything profound here, but it's silly to think that information about Benin or even the reputation of Benin or some other states came only from European explorers' writings. It sometimes came from other African peoples who had had interactions with Benin other African states in the past. The claims about Benin's influence or significance/capabilities in the past don't just come from European explorers' writings, but also from native/African sources as well.

You make a point to say: "For people who had no independent written record of their own like the Binis"

Yes, the Bini had no independent written record of their own, but what was the independent written record of the Fulanis, prior to adopting the Arabic script? Also, where were the Fulanis at before settling in Futa Jallon and what were they doing there (Futa Jallon) from the earliest times they settled there (which is when, exactly?) to their dispersal to other parts of Africa, according to the all-knowing supposed contemporary Fulani written records of those periods? Go into detail here when answering that, if you can. In reality, you guys wrote down your histories in recent centuries, many many centuries after much earlier events in your societies had already happened. So in what sense were you guys keeping detailed records of anything while it was happening except in recent centuries after the later jihads? Or did you guys simply have no significant history before these jihads?

And to this day, nobody knows what exactly the real ancient origins and history of the Fulani are (for example, what exact North African ethnic groups you mixed slightly with in the past, or when exactly you left your homelands to settle in other places) because you guys didn't leave real detailed records of these things, despite all the real and imagined/exaggerated scholarly activity and the adoption of an Arabic written script (an Ajami script). People were still trying to figure out whether the Fula originate from North Africa or West Africa until recently and they had to resort to genetics to resolve that, but nothing you all wrote down about your original homeland or origins or earliest history is available. At best all we have are bizarre claims of migration from the Middle East in some very late accounts, or nothing at all. And what's more, scholars that try to figure out what was going on in the Fulo state (in the Niger Valley region) in the 16th century or in "medieval" times generally have to rely on the writings of Portuguese and other Europeans or on the writings of Arabs or North Africans because you people didn't write anything then. There's no contemporary record of what you guys were doing in the Fulo state that actually comes from your people, because you didn't write anything about that at the time it was happening. There is no coherent "Fulani history" that traces your full history from antiquity to the present using contemporary Fulani written records from antiquity to the present because you guys simply didn't write anything on your history for many centuries, and only started the "record-keeping" stuff in recent centuries.

You've implied (by your reference to the written record and the Binis) that there's much significance to your people's eventual use of the script of the Arabs (whose ideology and religion is so sacred to you, as directly evidenced by your history), as far as having records of history, yet there is nothing in the 15th century (as an example of just one earlier century, but one could go further back still) literature that is actually from the Fulanis - nothing - that details the history of your people or even what you guys were doing at the time or in earlier centuries. You bring up the issue of keeping written records, yet all people can find from you guys as far as real history is concerned are things written in the early to mid 1800s or the 1900s, many many centuries after your group had already been existing and settled down, and even then some of these writings aren't necessarily without error and distortion (such as fantastical claims of origin from the Middle East of some groups). And keep in mind that when I write this, I don't want to read anything back from you about the history of the Hausa or their traditions or whatever they wrote about their early history or see it mentioned by you as if it had even the slightest bit of relevance to what I'm saying. I'm talking about the Fulani specifically. Cite the evidence for these supposed detailed written records of the Fulani from ancient times (not a time as late as the freaking 1800s - which was right before the colonial period - even something from only as far back as 1500 AD would be half-decent) that explain their history and origins and what they were doing and what they had been doing then.

It's also strange to think that "all you forest people view the white man as a sacred being whose account must not be challenged." Have you read any African history written by the professional scholars and historians from these people in the south that you call "forest people"? European assumptions, misinterpretations, etc. are routinely challenged in those writings. The fact that European writers and observers sometimes misinterpreted or misunderstood things that they saw and heard and could not always be relied on is something that has been pointed out in multiple publications by scholars from these groups.

In the case of the Bini specifically, are you silly enough to think the Binis accept every claim put forward by European writers (past or present) about Benin? There are "negative' things, apparently "neutral" things, and "positive" things written about Benin in European writings but there are also certain things that are just inaccurate about the culture or history or practices of the people in some writings. That's just one of the reasons why Binis wrote their own histories later on and still don't just blindly accept all the claims in European writings (past and present).

2. I don't understand the last bit about conquering "Yoruba seat of power" (I assume you mean Oyo). Has it occurred to you that they might not have had an interest in even attempting to do so for cultural/historical reasons? The rulers of Benin believed - presumably with good reason - that they had a direct relationship with the rulers at the "Yoruba seat of power" and the rulers of the "Yoruba seat of power" (Oyo) seemed to basically think the same thing. There seemed to be some idea in the air at both places that the were rulers there were relatives.

And as for the "Nupe seat of power" has it occurred to you that maybe part of the motivation for Benin's wars was economic based or trade related, rather than being blind fanatical religious expansion (like some groups)? If they were expanding for control of trade routes or other economic reasons, they might not want to waste time invading areas that aren't really economically significant but they also might not have wanted to invade and destabilize areas that supply them with things from much further off areas that they don't have direct access to themselves.

But on Nupe, the Fulani didn't even have the guts to take the place directly when it actually had some power - they exploited an ongoing civil war between the Muslim pretender to the Nupe throne and the pagan pretender to the Nupe throne, and after some really weaselly political scheming and manipulation and some further deception, they were later able to get control of the place through some very minor military engagements. The so called "conquest" was of a half-wrecked kingdom which had already been torn apart by civil war and which they turned against itself by exploiting religious divides and ongoing power struggles in the kingdom itself. Similarly, the Fulani didn't conquer the "Yoruba seat of power" through a direct military confrontation either. They exploited a civil war between Ilorin and Oyo (Ilorin was part of Oyo, but broke away to become independent), and employed deception and the same minor military engagements to achieve the takeover of Ilorin after Ilorin and its Yoruba allies had defeated Oyo. When the Fulanis tried to invade Ibadan (a direct military conflict), they simply lost. Ahmadu Bello (the Sardauna) mentioned this in his autobiography, My Life, when he mentioned how a "Fulani column" penetrated "south of Ibadan" but then the tide of battle turned and then they made no progress whatsoever so a stalemate with the Yoruba set in for decades (this is in his autobiography, I'm paraphrasing, but if I had it with me I would post the exact quote).

Anyway, Benin defeated Igala when it was powerful, and Nupe was presumably tributary to this Igala state (or at least they used to claim this in their traditions) back when it was powerful, so I hardly see where you're getting this idea of Benin not taking on any other powerful state in the area. You're worrying about why Benin didn't take on Nupe, yet they (Benin) defeated the Igala - a state that the Nupes claimed (or at least they used to claim this in the past, don't know how much they still claim it now) they were tributary to when it was powerful. The Fulani couldn't even conquer other places in the Middle Belt and they had to use deception, political scheming, and the exploitation of an ongoing civil war to take over Nupe, and I'm supposed to buy into this silly myth of martial supremacy? I repeat that the Fulanis would have just been riddled with bullets and totally decimated while trying to conquer what they couldn't conquer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by ezotik: 6:04pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

Mr Bokohalal, your name is unique, interesting. Yorubas abandoned their culture to do follow follow on white man culture, that's why everyone have the audacity to talk nonsense and insult them nowadays. If they had stuck to their traditional ways they should not be the scum that everybody spit on today. Yoruba was known in Futadjalon and their empire and greatness is in archived records that documented the Sudanese races. Fulani respect Yoruba more than any other race of people on this side of the Niger. This is why Fulani always turn to them for alliance. You should study history Mr Bokohalal. I like your name, far more acceptable than a bokoharam that wants to throw people back into dark ages.

grin are u a comedian? coz if anything yorubas are generally believed to be the nigerians who embrace their culture more. but what culture do fulanis have? apart from getting flogged for some pvssy and islam? u are funny.

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 6:08pm On May 27, 2013
I meant to write "There seemed to be some idea in the air at both places that the rulers there were relatives." there above. Minor typo, but if I edit the post the spambot will probably take action. Also, on the Nupe, it should read "they might not want to waste time invading areas that aren't really economically significant to them" where "them" refers to Benin.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 27, 2013
I'm sorry...I love my Fulani people, I think they are really unique. But they are no way in h3ll the most 'Influential' of Africa. I'm not even trying to be mean. Their not even close to being the most influential people of west Africa. That title CLEARLY goes yo the Mande people.

Tichit Walatta-2000 BC!!! Earliest civilization of west Africa
Ghana empire
Mali empire
Songhai empire
etc...

Come on the list goes on and on...Where a Fulani person that stacks up to the great Ahmed Baba, Keita,Mansa Musa,Sonni Ali Ber or even Abu Bakari who may have even discovered the New World...( see this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1291722/did-west-africans-reach-new)

Again where are Fulani people who stack up to those people?

Now if we want to group Bantu people as one monolithic group....Thy are CLEARLY the most influential group of Africa! Even beating the Ancient Egyptians themselves. Those Bantu migrates brought civilization throughout most parts of Africa. They were one of the first in Africa to master iron smelting. Bantu people have great civilizations like....
Swahili states-Who traded as far as China and news are saying that they may have discovered Australia with Swahili coins found there. See my thread on East African sailors.
Kongo Kingdom-advanced kingdom for its time. See my thread on the kingdom.
Zulu empire-defeated British many times.
Mutapa Empire-creators of great Zimbabwe.

If anyone's the most influential of Africa, its the Bantu people.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 6:52pm On May 27, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I don't think you're very bright based on your first comment on this thread, but I'll attempt to reason with you anyway.

1. I didn't quote any "romanticized writings" from any Europeans about Benin. When I mentioned the British I was actually alluding to the writings of commander Bacon of the British expedition that conquered Benin on the issue of the use of guns by the Bini (he specifically claimed they didn't use any arrows and he described the volleys of the gun fire from the Bini at numerous points of his writing) and I was referring to the writings of other people who were actually there besides him, but anyone who has any familiarity with Bacon's writings on Benin knows that they are generally extremely negative about the Bini. It is just really naive or plain dumb to think that there are no negative writings or statements about Benin from Europeans when there are several - people simply gave their opinions and naturally, some are going to have a good opinion of certain things and some are going to have a bad opinion of certain things. Even one of the first people to comment on Benin, Duarte Pacheco Pereira, had some very negative things to say about the place, so why would anyone think that the writings of Europeans on Benin, even when some of these writings have negative statements about Benin - and even some of the supposedly "positive" writings on Benin sometimes contain negative statements - are somehow automatically "sweet in my ears"? This is just a silly assumption.

Your claim that "Europeans exagerrated their impressions of encounters with natives. If they see something good they called it the most beautiful, and if they see something fair they described it as the worst of any encounter any human should ever be suffered with" is simply not true because that does not apply to all the writers. I doubt that you've actually read much of these writings that you're referring to, otherwise you would know that it's not that hard to spot exaggeration. Furthermore, many of those sources that are detailed qualify their criticisms or praises of things by going into specifics and don't usually just lean wildly towards one extreme or another. At this point you're just making stuff up.

Then you say: "The writers behind them used these records to further their own goals and interests in Africa. There were writers who never set foot in places they wrote about and there were writers who passed through a place and wrote as if they spent half their lifetime in it. Europeans distorted the records big time and this was done all over Africa."

And yet you seem to be too lazy to cite numerous specific instances of what you're talking about (the names of the authors, what they claimed, and how exactly they were furthering their own goals and interests with what they claimed etc.). It's not news to anyone who has read any European explorers' accounts that they simply sometimes wrote wrong or incorrect information so you're not saying anything profound here, but it's silly to think that information about Benin or even the reputation of Benin or some other states came only from European explorers' writings. It sometimes came from other African peoples who had had interactions with Benin other African states in the past. The claims about Benin's influence or significance/capabilities in the past don't just come from European explorers' writings, but also from native/African sources as well.

You make a point to say: "For people who had no independent written record of their own like the Binis"

Yes, the Bini had no independent written record of their own, but what was the independent written record of the Fulanis, prior to adopting the Arabic script? Also, where were the Fulanis at before settling in Futa Jallon and what were they doing there (Futa Jallon) from the earliest times they settled there (which is when, exactly?) to their dispersal to other parts of Africa, according to the all-knowing supposed contemporary Fulani written records of those periods? Go into detail here when answering that, if you can. In reality, you guys wrote down your histories in recent centuries, many many centuries after much earlier events in your societies had already happened. So in what sense were you guys keeping detailed records of anything while it was happening except in recent centuries after the later jihads? Or did you guys simply have no significant history before these jihads?

And to this day, nobody knows what exactly the real ancient origins and history of the Fulani are (for example, what exact North African ethnic groups you mixed slightly with in the past, or when exactly you left your homelands to settle in other places) because you guys didn't leave real detailed records of these things, despite all the real and imagined/exaggerated scholarly activity and the adoption of an Arabic written script (an Ajami script). People were still trying to figure out whether the Fula originate from North Africa or West Africa until recently and they had to resort to genetics to resolve that, but nothing you all wrote down about your original homeland or origins or earliest history is available. At best all we have are bizarre claims of migration from the Middle East in some very late accounts, or nothing at all. And what's more, scholars that try to figure out what was going on in the Fulo state (in the Niger Valley region) in the 16th century or in "medieval" times generally have to rely on the writings of Portuguese and other Europeans or on the writings of Arabs or North Africans because you people didn't write anything then. There's no contemporary record of what you guys were doing in the Fulo state that actually comes from your people, because you didn't write anything about that at the time it was happening. There is no coherent "Fulani history" that traces your full history from antiquity to the present using contemporary Fulani written records from antiquity to the present because you guys simply didn't write anything on your history for many centuries, and only started the "record-keeping" stuff in recent centuries.

You've implied (by your reference to the written record and the Binis) that there's much significance to your people's eventual use of the script of the Arabs (whose ideology and religion is so sacred to you, as directly evidenced by your history), as far as having records of history, yet there is nothing in the 15th century (as an example of just one earlier century, but one could go further back still) literature that is actually from the Fulanis - nothing - that details the history of your people or even what you guys were doing at the time or in earlier centuries. You bring up the issue of keeping written records, yet all people can find from you guys as far as real history is concerned are things written in the early to mid 1800s or the 1900s, many many centuries after your group had already been existing and settled down, and even then some of these writings aren't necessarily without error and distortion (such as fantastical claims of origin from the Middle East of some groups). And keep in mind that when I write this, I don't want to read anything back from you about the history of the Hausa or their traditions or whatever they wrote about their early history or see it mentioned by you as if it had even the slightest bit of relevance to what I'm saying. I'm talking about the Fulani specifically. Cite the evidence for these supposed detailed written records of the Fulani from ancient times (not a time as late as the freaking 1800s - which was right before the colonial period - even something from only as far back as 1500 AD would be half-decent) that explain their history and origins and what they were doing and what they had been doing then.

It's also strange to think that "all you forest people view the white man as a sacred being whose account must not be challenged." Have you read any African history written by the professional scholars and historians from these people in the south that you call "forest people"? European assumptions, misinterpretations, etc. are routinely challenged in those writings. The fact that European writers and observers sometimes misinterpreted or misunderstood things that they saw and heard and could not always be relied on is something that has been pointed out in multiple publications by scholars from these groups.

In the case of the Bini specifically, are you silly enough to think the Binis accept every claim put forward by European writers (past or present) about Benin? There are "negative' things, apparently "neutral" things, and "positive" things written about Benin in European writings but there are also certain things that are just inaccurate about the culture or history or practices of the people in some writings. That's just one of the reasons why Binis wrote their own histories later on and still don't just blindly accept all the claims in European writings (past and present).

2. I don't understand the last bit about conquering "Yoruba seat of power" (I assume you mean Oyo). Has it occurred to you that they might not have had an interest in even attempting to do so for cultural/historical reasons? The rulers of Benin believed - presumably with good reason - that they had a direct relationship with the rulers at the "Yoruba seat of power" and the rulers of the "Yoruba seat of power" (Oyo) seemed to basically think the same thing. There seemed to be some idea in the air at both places that the were rulers there were relatives.

And as for the "Nupe seat of power" has it occurred to you that maybe part of the motivation for Benin's wars was economic based or trade related, rather than being blind fanatical religious expansion (like some groups)? If they were expanding for control of trade routes or other economic reasons, they might not want to waste time invading areas that aren't really economically significant but they also might not have wanted to invade and destabilize areas that supply them with things from much further off areas that they don't have direct access to themselves.

But on Nupe, the Fulani didn't even have the guts to take the place directly when it actually had some power - they exploited an ongoing civil war between the Muslim pretender to the Nupe throne and the pagan pretender to the Nupe throne, and after some really weaselly political scheming and manipulation and some further deception, they were later able to get control of the place through some very minor military engagements. The so called "conquest" was of a half-wrecked kingdom which had already been torn apart by civil war and which they turned against itself by exploiting religious divides and ongoing power struggles in the kingdom itself. Similarly, the Fulani didn't conquer the "Yoruba seat of power" through a direct military confrontation either. They exploited a civil war between Ilorin and Oyo (Ilorin was part of Oyo, but broke away to become independent), and employed deception and the same minor military engagements to achieve the takeover of Ilorin after Ilorin and its Yoruba allies had defeated Oyo. When the Fulanis tried to invade Ibadan (a direct military conflict), they simply lost. Ahmadu Bello (the Sardauna) mentioned this in his autobiography, My Life, when he mentioned how a "Fulani column" penetrated "south of Ibadan" but then the tide of battle turned and then they made no progress whatsoever so a stalemate with the Yoruba set in for decades (this is in his autobiography, I'm paraphrasing, but if I had it with me I would post the exact quote).

Anyway, Benin defeated Igala when it was powerful, and Nupe was presumably tributary to this Igala state (or at least they used to claim this in their traditions) back when it was powerful, so I hardly see where you're getting this idea of Benin not taking on any other powerful state in the area. You're worrying about why Benin didn't take on Nupe, yet they (Benin) defeated the Igala - a state that the Nupes claimed (or at least they used to claim this in the past, don't know how much they still claim it now) they were tributary to when it was powerful. The Fulani couldn't even conquer other places in the Middle Belt and they had to use deception, political scheming, and the exploitation of an ongoing civil war to take over Nupe, and I'm supposed to buy into this silly myth of martial supremacy? I repeat that the Fulanis would have just been riddled with bullets and totally decimated while trying to conquer what they couldn't conquer.

Mr PhysicsQED, i appreciate your response but i take exception to your mud throwing. I was using you as example of civility so far, am i wrong?

This is unecessary. Fulanis and the Hausas have been called all kinds of derogatory names and labeled as inept, so this your opening charging that Im not bright is not unexpected, we are immune by now to the social stigma. For the sensibilities of others and respect for the owner of the thread lets have mutual respect. Please Sir, ok?

You wrote back with quite an eyeful and I must admit that you have done your homework. With this much information in your posession why can't you open a thread and title it "The Benin Empire's Great Influence in West Africa", instead of accusing about dating Fulani ?
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 27, 2013
shymexx: The op is another tomakink and isale_gan2. grin

Fake Yoruba people. grin lipsrsealed

I swear I know her real handle and she's half-fulani.

She lives in the literature and Japanese cartoons sections.
Knew that too.
You don't need a prophet to tell you she's not a full blooded Yoruba!
What kind of thread is this?
The only person that can get on the net and take his/her time to type that fulanis are the most influential in Africa is a fulani!

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 7:04pm On May 27, 2013
KidStranglehold: I'm sorry...I love my Fulani people, I think they are really unique. But they are no way in h3ll the most 'Influential' of Africa. I'm not even trying to be mean. Their not even close to being the most influential people of west Africa. That title CLEARLY goes yo the Mande people.

Tichit Walatta-2000 BC!!! Earliest civilization of west Africa
Ghana empire
Mali empire
Songhai empire
etc...

Come on the list goes on and on...Where a Fulani person that stacks up to the great Ahmed Baba, Keita,Mansa Musa,Sonni Ali Ber or even Abu Bakari who may have even discovered the New World...( see this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1291722/did-west-africans-reach-new)

Again where are Fulani people who stack up to those people?

Now if we want to group Bantu people as one monolithic group....Thy are CLEARLY the most influential group of Africa! Even beating the Ancient Egyptians themselves. Those Bantu migrates brought civilization throughout most parts of Africa. They were one of the first in Africa to master iron smelting. Bantu people have great civilizations like....
Swahili states-Who traded as far as China and news are saying that they may have discovered Australia with Swahili coins found there. See my thread on East African sailors.
Kongo Kingdom-advanced kingdom for its time. See my thread on the kingdom.
Zulu empire-defeated British many times.
Mutapa Empire-creators of great Zimbabwe.

If anyone's the most influential of Africa, its the Bantu people.

Mr, I think this is nothing more than name dropping. Some of the West African Emperors you named were actually Fulani, and you didn't know this. For people who cant even differentiate Fulani from Hausa or Kanuri in your own country, how can you tell who is Pulo and who is Bambara in far away Guinea or Gambia?

Bantu as a classification is no where a match for the Sudan.

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 7:08pm On May 27, 2013
I didn't suggest was dating a Fulani. Other posters in the thread have done that though. I think she can be a "fan" of the Fulanis without dating any of them, I just disagreed with her views and I wondered if maybe she had some Fulani ancestry and if she possibly had a bias of some sort because of that.

I wouldn't start a thread like that about Benin because it would probably be viewed as some sort of attempt at boasting or something. There are books which touch on that issue (influence) though. I did, however, start a thread on the art of Benin.

And I apologize for the insults and my lack of civility in the post above toward you and for any negative comments toward the Fulani in general - it seemed to me as if you went out of your way to make certain denigrating remarks about certain groups so I guess I got into a more combative/aggressive mindset when writing, but that's not really an excuse for my tone or words. For that, I'm sorry.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by ezotik: 7:11pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

but i take exception to your mud throwing. I was using you as example of civility so far,

yet na ur mouth dey leak dirty water all over this thread? dis na why people nor dey take una seriously. u cannot be advocating one thing while u are doing the opposite. lol, imagine a fulani accusing someone of "follow follow white man" when u are literally an arabized negroid? the hypocrisy stinks to high heavens. abeg go chop koboko for and get the fvck outta here with that holier than thou bullchit
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

Mr, I think this is nothing more than name dropping. Some of the West African Emperors you named were actually Fulani, and you didn't know this. For people who cant even differentiate Fulani from Hausa or Kanuri in your own country, how can you tell who is Pulo and who is Bambara in far away Guinea or Gambia?

Bantu as a classification is no where a match for the Sudan.

Um...Miss none of the people I listed were of Fulani descent, if you have any proof please post them. And Ahmed Baba was not a emperor but one of the greatest scholars of his time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=1vhx5OHfekk

And I don't understand how your third sentence correlates with my post.

And what do you mean by this?
"Bantu as a classification is no where a match for the Sudan."
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 7:18pm On May 27, 2013
kwangi: Knew that too.

Mr Kwangi, please dont feed that again. Its done with. I don't believe she is Fulani but even if she were so what? Is this space reserved for Yorubas only? Must all topics posted in culture section be about Southerners?

I am serious Southerners are racists. I am particularly offended by those of you who are Yorubas. There is no village in Yorubaland you will not find Fulani girls married to your men. Even Lagos, there are Yoruba men with Fulani wives. You guys are hypocrites. You take Fulani women into wedlock but you speak derogately of them in public. This is unacceptable.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 27, 2013
Again I don't have no beef with Fulani people. But saying their the most influential of Africa is just stretching it.

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 27, 2013
Bororojo: Listen my Somalia...... Why are you even commenting on this thread.?
And @ Cameroonpride, did a Fulani man snatch your bone or something...... The way you talk about us, is disturbing...... Whatever the case, we are still at least 10% of your country.
bogus figure by Ahidjo, you are not even 4% your only zone is Adamawa, yet even up there you are a minority but have the political power, I won't extend on this because we are not on a Cameroonian forum...
We will send you back to Nigeria sooner or later...and snatch me something? Lol...
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 7:38pm On May 27, 2013
PhysicsQED: I didn't suggest was dating a Fulani. Other posters in the thread have done that though. I think she can be a "fan" of the Fulanis without dating any of them, I just disagreed with her views and I wondered if maybe she had some Fulani ancestry and if she possibly had a bias of some sort because of that.

I wouldn't start a thread like that about Benin because it would probably be viewed as some sort of attempt at boasting or something. There are books which touch on that issue (influence) though. I did, however, start a thread on the art of Benin.

And I apologize for the insults and my lack of civility in the post above toward you and for any negative comments toward the Fulani in general - it seemed to me as if you went out of your way to make certain denigrating remarks about certain groups so I guess I got into a more combative/aggressive mindset when writing, but that's not really an excuse for my tone or words. For that, I'm sorry.

Mr PhysicsQED, there is no human with breathe in the lungs who does not harbour a bias in his/her emotions. Any person that will raise his or her hand as an exception to the rule must be lying to himself; he is dead and does not even know it. Our bias is dictated by what we like. You might be Benin person or not, I dont know but I can assume so. That lady had not in any where said she is Fulani or Yoruba or Bini or Igbo, but she was accused of being Fulani, I suspect you guys already knew her as Yoruba, or maybe her name suggests that. Nonetheless, her topic and post should have been challenged, not her personality. I thank you for your understanding.

On the Benin history, you know Im not going to write it, an Igboman will not put his history aside and write on Benin, Yoruba person might because you guys are brothers or cousins, but it is sweetest coming from a Benin person. What was the "art of Benin" about?

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 7:46pm On May 27, 2013
It's a thread called "Benin Art and Architecture" and it's on page 1 of the culture section. It's thread showing some of the past art of the kingdom, plus a few surviving pictures and images of buildings in the traditional style.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

Why are you venting like this, Cameroon? This is the truth, whether minority or not, Fulani ruled Cameroon; whether the language is Hausa or not, Fulani ruled Nigeria; whether Southerners are negilgent or not, Fulani dominates the politics of both countries. How can the Southereners of Cameroon and Nigeria continue to boast of academic superiority but yet remain negligent and uninformed that an academically backward minority rule and dominate over you? Look at our current President, an academically advanced fellow with phd, the worst performing in our history. He is more articulate in english language than any Fulani that has ruled this country but he is equally less competent in leadership qualities than even the worst of them. Dear Cameroon, give honor where its due.
fulani didn't rule Cameroon Ahidjo did, .you are very funny go check who is the actual president(his tribe), how long he has been there, how he treated Ahidjo and your lots have been slaughtered after you attempted to make a putsch.
Lol @ fulani 10% I Cameroon you mean the Nigerian , Chadian who cross the border anyhow or live in refugee camps?
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

Mr Kwangi, please dont feed that again. Its done with. I don't believe she is Fulani but even if she were so what? Is this space reserved for Yorubas only? Must all topics posted in culture section be about Southerners?

I am serious Southerners are racists. I am particularly offended by those of you who are Yorubas. There is no village in Yorubaland you will not find Fulani girls married to your men. Even Lagos, there are Yoruba men with Fulani wives. You guys are hypocrites. You take Fulani women into wedlock but you speak derogately of them in public. This is unacceptable.
Okay...
Nobody says you guys shouldn't open fulani thread, but making bogus claims as was done with this thread is what "everybody" is against!

Yeah... Yoruba men marry fulani women! What's wrong with that?
BTW, I'm Igbo.
And I'm looking foward to the day I'll shine a Fulani kongo.
Maybe I have and didn't even know. Dis one wey anybody wey get one drop of Fulani blood is being claimed as Fulani.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 7:53pm On May 27, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Um...Miss none of the people I listed were of Fulani descent, if you have any proof please post them. And Ahmed Baba was not a emperor but one of the greatest scholars of his time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=1vhx5OHfekk

And I don't understand how your third sentence correlates with my post.

And what do you mean by this?
"Bantu as a classification is no where a match for the Sudan."

Well, go ahead and put their profiles up for review and I will trace their Pulo ancestry for you. If you list five names of army officers and one of navy and i call them all army please do not descend into this granular analysis of why i mislabeled a naval man an army. Thats not healthy for intellectual discussion on a general subject..

The third sentence is a challenge on your ability to properly identify racial types in the West African subregion.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 8:06pm On May 27, 2013
kwangi: Okay...
Nobody says you guys shouldn't open fulani thread, but making bogus claims as was done with this thread is what "everybody" is against!

Yeah... Yoruba men marry fulani women! What's wrong with that?
BTW, I'm Igbo.
And I'm looking foward to the day I'll shine a Fulani kongo.
Maybe I have and didn't even know. Dis one wey anybody wey get one drop of Fulani blood is being claimed as Fulani.

I like that. Fulani are diverse people. The good looks on Fulani is due to blood mix. Mixing with different people create the diversity that sustain us, physically and spiritually. As long religion permits it there is no reason why Igbo cannot marry Fulani woman. Fulani men marry Igbo women, but you Southerners hate our women for marriage. Its one in a million occassion you will find a Southerner married to Fulani woman. On Yoruba, the intermix with Yorubas have gone on for ages, even before the Jihad. Im not criticizing them for having Fulani but I dont like how they join with others to berate Fulani. Its painful.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by AdoZazzau: 8:09pm On May 27, 2013
PhysicsQED: It's a thread called "Benin Art and Architecture" and it's on page 1 of the culture section. It's thread showing some of the past art of the kingdom, plus a few surviving pictures and images of buildings in the traditional style.

Thanks.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 27, 2013
The thread title should be changed to: How /iyaniwura(I won't put your real handle that you registered in 2006 showing that you're Fulani out there lol) destroyed her NL career and how she was exposed as a fraud!!! grin

Just don't let other Africans see this bizarre thread - they might lynch you for it... grin

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 8:29pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

Well, go ahead and put their profiles up for review and I will trace their Pulo ancestry for you.
Umm...Theres something called Google. The people I posted were all non Fulani especially Mansa Musa. Again there's Google.

AdoZazzau:
If you list five names of army officers and one of navy and i call them all army please do not descend into this granular analysis of why i mislabeled a naval man an army. Thats not healthy for intellectual discussion on a general subject..
Um...^^^What does any of that have to do with what I posted?

AdoZazzau:
The third sentence is a challenge on your ability to properly identify racial types in the West African subregion.

What do you mean racial types?? There are no racial types but just ethic groups. I believe were only discussing ethic groups here...

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 27, 2013
kwangi: Knew that too.
The only person that can get on the net and take his/her time to type that fulanis are the most influential in Africa is a fulani!

She's one of the "5th column" who give Yoruba's a bad name on this forum. How are we even sure that most of the Yoruba bigots on nl are Yoruba's, but posting as Yoruba's? grin

The girl is a fraud and she just lost all the little credibility she had before this thread.

That was the same way the other one created a thread for Ijebu bashing; with an opening post stating that her reason for doing that is to defuse the tension between Yoruba and Igbo bigots... grin Like seriously, what real Yoruba person would do that? Especially someone claiming to be from Lagos(Lagos Island to be exact) - a place, whose history isn't complete without the contributions of the Ijebu's. The Ijebu's gave Lagos the popular Eyo festival; some of the most famous parts of Lagos Island have Ijebu settlements; and Ijebu's are also part of the elite and "Chieftaincy" class of Lagos.

Anyway, this thread ought to be deleted or thrown into the butt-crack of nl. grin

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PAPAAFRICA: 9:15pm On May 27, 2013
cheesy
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 27, 2013
^^lol... Errmm, I'm interested in her 2006 handle/moniker.
Expose her jor.
I just know say no real Yoruba person go come yan dis kind thang.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by somalia9: 9:20pm On May 27, 2013
i heard the fulani came from horn of africa

is this true
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 27, 2013
AdoZazzau:

I like that. Fulani are diverse people. The good looks on Fulani is due to blood mix. Mixing with different people create the diversity that sustain us, physically and spiritually. As long religion permits it there is no reason why Igbo cannot marry Fulani woman. Fulani men marry Igbo women, but you Southerners hate our women for marriage. Its one in a million occassion you will find a Southerner married to Fulani woman. On Yoruba, the intermix with Yorubas have gone on for ages, even before the Jihad. Im not criticizing them for having Fulani but I dont like how they join with others to berate Fulani. Its painful.
so Yoruba should kiss your azz and lick your feet? We are talking about history and modern life ....why do you expect Yoruba to blow your trumpets when the facts are here?

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 9:23pm On May 27, 2013
LOL! Omo, see analysis...lol!
shymexx:

She's one of the "5th column" who give Yoruba's a bad name on this forum. How are we even sure that most of the Yoruba bigots on nl are Yoruba's, but posting as Yoruba's? grin

The girl is a fraud and she just lost all the little credibility she had before this thread.

That was the same way the other one created a thread for Ijebu bashing; with an opening post stating that her reason for doing that is to defuse the tension between Yoruba and Igbo bigots... grin Like seriously, what real Yoruba person would do that? Especially someone claiming to be from Lagos(Lagos Island to be exact) - a place, whose history isn't complete without the contributions of the Ijebu's. The Ijebu's gave Lagos the popular Eyo festival; some of the most famous parts of Lagos Island have Ijebu settlements; and Ijebu's are also part of the elite and "Chieftaincy" class of Lagos.

Anyway, this thread ought to be deleted or thrown into the butt-crack of nl. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / Names Of God In Yoruba Language (with English Subtitles) / Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.