Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge (15356 Views)

The Toll Booths At The New Ikoyi Link Bridge.pics / Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS / Lekki - Ikoyi Link Bridge Construction Update - July 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 10:02am On May 29, 2013
naptu2:

From the mid 1990s onwards, Obalende had become an eyesore. Commercial buses park anywhere they feel like parking, obstructing traffic and causing confusion. CD and cassette sellers blast loud music from giant loudspeakers. Companies and individuals pour water on the street to the extent that there's dirty and stinking water everywhere, even during the dry season. Hawkers block the side of the street, obstructing pedestrians (there were no pedestrian walkways) and they even encroach on the street, obstructing the flow of traffic. There were potholes on the streets that were probably partly caused by the awful dirty water that was on the road even during the dry season. Area boys often molested people and dispossessed them of their belongings in the early mornings and late at night.

Well, the Lagos State Government moved into the area about a year ago and started changing things. A new bus park was built for danfo buses and bus drivers that park on the street, outside the bus park are made to pay a hefty fine. The old LSTC terminus has been renovated and is now a BRT terminus. The traders at Obalende saw what happened at Oshodi and appealed to the governor that he shouldn't arrest them because they are now ready to comply with environmental laws (there's a video of that somewhere on Youtube). The government has not stopped them from carrying out their business, but they've been told that they must stay beyond the sidewalk. Anyone that strays onto the sidewalk or the road, will have his goods confiscated and he would be arrested. The roads are being reconstructed, there's now a raised pedestrian walkway/sidewalk and the drainages are also being reconstructed. The roundabout is being beautified (a garden has been planted there and gardens are springing up in different parts of the bus stop). Men of the task force (mobile police, kai and civil defence) are permanently stationed at the roundabout, so the place is safer. Huge lights have been set up at the new bus park, the BRT terminus and other parts of Obalende. The street lights now work.

And then there's the MacGregor Canal! I'm going to show you pics of that canal from the 1950s, 2008, 2009 and 2013.

naptu2: McGregor Canal.

The McGregor Canal was dug by governor William McGregor. McGregor was a medical doctor who improved sanitary conditions in Lagos. The canal divided the island into Lagos Island and Ikoyi Island.

It was substantially filled in when the 3rd Mainland Bridge/Ring Road was being constructed in the 1970s

McGregor Canal runs from Lagos Lagoon, past Dolphin Estate, through Obalende, under Awolowo Road and empties into Five Cowrie Creek.

In the 1990s MacGregor Canal was turned into an eyesore. Mechanics set up their workshops right beside the canal and they often dumped tyres and used engine oil directly into the canal. Many Lagosians used the canal as a waste dump, throwing piles and piles of garbage directly into the canal. This was one of the causes of flooding in Obalende and South West Ikoyi. Someone even built a church right across the canal (near the Dolphin end of the canal).

In 2008 the government moved in to try and clear the canal. The chuurch was demolished (some said that this was done because Fashola is a muslim who hates christians. I wonder whether there's anything in christianity that encourages people to disobey laws, obstruct canals, cause flooding and inconvenience your neighbour). In 2010 the government erecting a wire mesh fence around the canal, to keep out unwanted people (mechanics, etc) and prevent people from dumping garbage in the canal. The canal was dredged and the tyres, car parts and other garbage that had blocked the canal were removed. Now the government is planting a garden beside the canal.

McGregor Canal in the 1950s
www.nairaland.com/attachments/708145_MacGregor20Canal201950_jpg7f95567a855c289ff9bcc6fa6593ba4a

McGregor Canal in 2008
www.nairaland.com/attachments/708146_MacGregor20Canal20March202008_jpgd7131c39f7187f94ce42ea6a8580bd46

McGregor Canal in 2010
www.nairaland.com/attachments/708147_MacGregor20Canal202010_jpg81e28cde5ecaaee271e8f7a5719f04b8

McGregor Canal in 2013
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1116829_IMG01673-20130520-1301_jpga6cd37cfcf26e5845f27503e624d2768[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1116830_IMG01674-20130520-1301_jpgc1a17cc3ec5471edcbf3699629a21a45[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1116831_IMG01675-20130520-1301_jpg029a757f06faba730137deab3326e3f3[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1125671_IMG01676-20130526-1643_jpg92cf376dabdad728825d282d760eb64e[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1125672_IMG01677-20130526-1643_jpg36b1b50230b6bdf3a6a2ec8528c7fbc5[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1125673_IMG01678-20130526-1644_jpgf52b2a46797696c3b283fc2d01338c97[/img]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by dammytosh: 10:07am On May 29, 2013
engineerd:

I'm not on anyone's payroll. I am merely stating an obvious fact. The masses will benefit in the long run from the revenue generated from the same toll.The said revenue generated from toll can be used to build/maintain better road networks across the state. Like i said, if you cannot afford to pay toll, then there are alternate routes. For Nigeria's standard, the current Lagos state administration is doing an excellent job! Its not easy to administer a bunch of advanced animals. Lagos state will be a paragon of excellence for others to follow....

What useless revenue are u talking about. Imagine Babangida collecting toll before u climb 3rd mainland bridge since then or is there no alternate route ?

I understand that for an epileptic and blind nation, Fashola's one eyed Government is acceptable but can sycophants just shut up their mouths and allow this guy do the work we elected them to do ?

You are putting 2 toll gates for some one that works in a bank in marina and lives in Ajah. After all the tax paid. Tell me what benefit this Government is to him and please spare me the go back to your village crap.

If Americans think that low, A Kenyan man will not be the president.

Instead of condemning some excesses and rally round the masses, we keep flattering them because you don't have reason to pay.

If u stay in Ajah and work in marina and pay toll gates everyday, lets see if you will have the effontery to tell me , revenue bla bla bla. angry

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Kairoseki77: 10:15am On May 29, 2013
Ricky_Ross:

Bros you have time, this village goat can never change. He has never stepped out of ala awusa so he has no idea what Akwa Ibom looks like. Akwa Ibom has world class roads and world class infrastructures while Lagos is a shiithole and the dirtiest city in Nigeria.

They talk about 20 million people living in Lagos as if Lagos state government is providing free food or school uniforms to Lagos residents. Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria for Gods sake as well as generating the highest IGR in Nigeria, yet these clowns will not put these things into perspective. Can these ACN thugs tell us why everything is tolled in Lagos? Can they call us why LASU school fees was increased by more than 1000? As for me I just read their posts and laugh. I dont take these clowns serious.

Because if it was free, your mother and father would be living on the bridge and claiming Federal Character!

If you don't like Lagos, GO BACK TO YOUR VILLAGE! Akwa Ibom only has 3 million people in it, and it is much bigger than Lagos State. If what you say about the roads is true, then why is everyone from Akwa Ibom killing themselves to move to Lagos? Why are 6000 people moving to Lagos everyday?

It is obvious that most of the Governors in this country have failed. So poor Fashola is left with developing a home for over 15% of the population. People crowd around that man like he is the messiah. People in this country will literally kill just to get a chance to live under Fashola's governance. So, of course the state needs to charge money! The other 35 Governors, the President, and Congress are eating all the rest.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 10:19am On May 29, 2013
naptu2: Do you know that Lagos State has acquired farmland in Ogun State and is in discussions with Kogi and other states to acquire more farmland in those areas? Do you know why it is doing this? That's the story of the YES Agricultural Empowerment Scheme for unemployed school leavers and others.

Programmes like these are not as sexy as cable stayed bridge and Eko Atlantic City, so they don't get as much column inches in the newspapers.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 10:20am On May 29, 2013
GARRI (x7):
[size=14pt]Lagos acquires 50 hectares of land in Abuja, and Ogun to cultivate food[/size]

The Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) has revealed that the state government has acquired about 50 hectares of land in Abuja and neighbouring Ogun State for cultivation of food to support its agriculture and job-creation scheme.

Fashola made this known on Wednesday while he was speaking about the state government’s agricultural scheme as he was presenting the states 2013 budget estimated at N497.277billion to the State House of assembly.

Admitting the challenge of limited land in the coastal city, the governor stated that “due to the limited amount of land the State has to cultivate, the administration is pursuing a radical alternative of acquiring land for farming outside Lagos.”

According to the Governor, “the administration has already secured 50 hectares in Abuja, and Ogun State which is four times bigger than Lagos in land size for cultivation.” He added that “other States such as Bauchi, Osun, Ekiti, Oyo and Katsina are favourably considering the State’s requests for farm lands.”

The administration is also cultivating 75 hectares of land for rice under its Rice for Jobs programme while the irrigation project to improve, yield and produce rice per hectare is progressing positively in Badagry.

Reeling out his administration’s further achievement in the agricultural sector, the governor stated that the 500 hectares of land was recently allocated for rice farming to feed the Imota Rice mill just as his administration has successfully completed the Imota Rice Mill in Ikorodu, the Erikorodo Feed Mill, the Erikorodo Chicken Processing Plant, also in Ikorodu and revitalized Ikorodu Fish Farm Estate.

The governor added that in Epe, the Agric Youth Empowerment Scheme is progressing with the training of a new batch of 200 graduates for whom the Executive Council recently approved the release of N500M that will be given to them shortly along with one hectare of land per farmer to enable them start formal production.

www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/31/lagos-acquires-50-hectares-of-land-in-abuja-and-ogun-to-cultivate-food/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.nairaland.com/1090048/lagos-acquires-50-hectares-land
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 10:21am On May 29, 2013
[size=14pt]Gov Amosun Allocates 500 Hectares Of Land To Lagos State[/size]

miqos02: The Ogun State Government on Wednesday allocated 500 hectares of land to the Lagos State Government for agricultural purposes.

The government said this in a statement jointly signed by the governors of Ogun and Lagos states, Ibikunle Amosun and Babatunde Fashola, at the end of a meeting between the two states.

The meeting which lasted about one hour was held at the Government House, Oke-Igbein, Abeokuta.

The statement added that the land in Eggua, Yewa North Local Government Area would be used for agricultural development.

It also said the letter of allocation for the land was presented to Fashola during the meeting.

Amosun also handed over Certificate of Occupancy of Iju Water Works to Fashola during the meeting.

The statement reads in part, “The request for agricultural land by Lagos State Government has been granted and a letter of allocation in respect of 500 hectares in Eggua (Yewa North) was presented by Amosun to Fashola.

“The Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) in respect of Iju Water Works was also handed over to the Lagos State Governor, while re-connaissance of Adiyan Water Works land area is ongoing.”

The two governors re-affirmed their committment towards regional integration of the South-West.

src: http://www.punchng.com/news/amosun-fashola-meet-over-boundary-dispute/

https://www.nairaland.com/1084470/gov-amosun-allocates-500-hectares
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 10:22am On May 29, 2013
Okota Link Bridge

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 10:45am On May 29, 2013
Wow! Lots of strangers in my estate today. Fashola usually comes in and leaves without much fuss. Someone else must be coming. I wonder who.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by tabontabon: 11:35am On May 29, 2013
Boss13: Where is Eko Atlantic?
inside atlantic ocean
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by jmaine: 12:01pm On May 29, 2013
Mr Naptu, may I ask what's the relevance of your quotes on Lagos acquiring farm lands and this thread undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by timecop28: 12:04pm On May 29, 2013
If Fashola could run for this position again, I would vote him a million times more.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 12:39pm On May 29, 2013
jmaine: Mr Naptu, may I ask what's the relevance of your quotes on Lagos acquiring farm lands and this thread undecided

Check the post I first quoted. I'm responding to the guy's comments that the government only caters for the rich and does nothing for the poor.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 12:42pm On May 29, 2013
The commissioning has started. You can watch it live on LTV. Can't wait to drive on that bridge.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by talktimi(m): 1:41pm On May 29, 2013
Eko Ile can never have any meaningful argument on nairaland without tribal slurs or insults, its all good sha the beauty of democracy encorages free speech lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 1:58pm On May 29, 2013
My happiness! They are going to link Admiralty Road to Ajah to also provide an alternative to motorists (so that they don't need to go on the expressway).

Massive respect to Yar'Adua for what he did to ensure that the bridge was built.

Okoya Thomas and the Oba of Lagos expressed the same fears I had when the bridge was completed, but the commissioning was delayed.

Work has already started on a link bridge over the Ejigbo Canal. More link bridges at Ajiliti and Isheri-Ijegun.

Work on Glover Road and Thompson Road to dissipate traffic from the bridge.

My sadness. I didn't like some of the things he said about the court case$

A summary of the speech coming up soon.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by phurlabby(m): 4:15pm On May 29, 2013
We can complain all we want but it was always going to be tolled and more expensive than the Lekki-Ajah ones, else the traffic in Lekki would have become unbearable for those living In Phase One as everybody with a car will just pass the route to evade the first toll. Lekki is mostly residential and I don't believe the government built it as an alternative route for those who dont want to pay toll.
I for one will only pass when in a hurry or Goodluck comes to cause commotion in Lagos again but tbh I thought they were going to with 500 naira/per passage! Anything to keep anybody who has no business there out! But then again, a civil may have risen lol
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by blancason: 4:39pm On May 29, 2013
naptu2: My happiness! They are going to link Admiralty Road to Ajah to also provide an alternative to motorists (so that they don't need to go on the expressway).

Massive respect to Yar'Adua for what he did to ensure that the bridge was built.

Okoya Thomas and the Oba of Lagos expressed the same fears I had when the bridge was completed, but the commissioning was delayed.

Work has already started on a link bridge over the Ejigbo Canal. More link bridges at Ajiliti and Isheri-Ijegun.

Work on Glover Road and Thompson Road to dissipate traffic from the bridge.

My sadness. I didn't like some of the things he said about the court case$

A summary of the speech coming up soon.

Respect to you and Eko Ile....you have shown the natural intelligence God gave us. Billy"goat"naire and the other ignorant dude has been shamed. Kudos
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 5:11pm On May 29, 2013
blancason:

Respect to you and Eko Ile....you have shown the natural intelligence God gave us. Billy"goat"naire and the other ignorant dude has been shamed. Kudos

Thank you jare...

I know these hating and backward villagers very well and I also know how to handle them. You just can't be too soft with them.

Good trumps evil anytime any day...
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 5:16pm On May 29, 2013
talktimi: Eko Ile can never have any meaningful argument on nairaland without tribal slurs or insults, its all good sha the beauty of democracy encorages free speech lipsrsealed

Ode. So, my speech is not free and only yours is free. Please STFU.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 5:18pm On May 29, 2013
naptu2: The commissioning has started. You can watch it live on LTV. Can't wait to drive on that bridge.

Can't wait for the pictures to start rolling in, I need to give these village haters something to be hateful, sad and miserable about.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by naptu2: 5:26pm On May 29, 2013
blancason:

Thank you.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by mikeapollo: 6:30pm On May 29, 2013
This is what happens when you have a corrupt, capitalist, anti-people, power-drunk governor masquerading as a democrat.
Fashola is raping Lagos state and Lagosian. People will be shocked to discover the financial attrocities being committed by this corrupt governor after he would have left office
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 6:42pm On May 29, 2013
mikeapollo: This is what happens when you have a corrupt, capitalist, anti-people, power-drunk governor masquerading as a democrat.
Fashola is raping Lagos state and Lagosian. People will be shocked to discover the financial attrocities being committed by this corrupt governor after he would have left office

Unfortunately, the unmolested ones are stagnating and not getting any kind of development...

If molestation means Lagosians getting infrastructures everyday and also if molestation means progress and development, we need to be molested more and even harder till we develop every inch of our state.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by makizee(m): 8:27pm On May 29, 2013
@eko ile, well done sir and more grease to ur gears, i like the way you tackle some people that don't see anything good in the Fashola administration, everyone can see he is a breath of fresh air from what we are used to in this part of the world.....But you seem to see no negative in his administration, that is where i would disagree with u...my folks actually think me as a Fashola Apologist but i have had times where i was his harshest critic too...am not a psycophant...am sorry o, but the way you seem to defend all his actions and his inactions would make u seem like one..not just on this particular topic but am speaking generally..so is there anything you think this administration has done badly and care to highlight.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 8:41pm On May 29, 2013
makizee: @eko ile, well done sir and more grease to ur gears, i like the way you tackle some people that don't see anything good in the Fashola administration, everyone can see he is a breath of fresh air from what we are used to in this part of the world.....But you seem to see no negative in his administration, that is where i would disagree with u...my folks actually think me as a Fashola Apologist but i have had times where i was his harshest critic too...am not a psycophant...am sorry o, but the way you seem to defend all his actions and his inactions would make u seem like one..not just on this particular topic but am speaking generally..so is there anything you think this administration has done badly and care to highlight.

To start with, no human being or government on the surface of the earth is above criticism and I'll criticism the government of Lagos state if need be. Unfortunately for the usual noise makers on NL especially the ones I respond to and defend Lagos state against, I deal with them the way I do because they do not criticize, theirs is nothing but the same generic hatred, tribalism and bigotry especially since anything and everything about Lagos gives them heartburn and painful regurgitations and to them, it doesn't matter good or bad, it's their bigoted and hateful nature to display bad bele and hatred.

I'm a Lagosian, I love my state and and what it stands for, I'll also defend my state relentlessly with zero apology to nobody..
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by talktimi(m): 8:46pm On May 29, 2013
Eko Ile:

Ode. So, my speech is not free and only yours is free. Please STFU.
your speech is free o jare oga mi, in fact you're doing your job very well bros

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 8:49pm On May 29, 2013
Very beautiful picture and thanks for the wonderful complements.

Good to know you are good for something at least.

KEEP IT UP...
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by talktimi(m): 9:22pm On May 29, 2013
Eko Ile: Very beautiful picture and thanks for the wonderful complements.

Good to know you are good for something at least.

KEEP IT UP...
yes I'm good for something just as you're also good as a houseboy thank Jah I never criticized this endeavor by the LASG but your rabid mentality always makes you to bark when its absolutely not necessary. Earn your living diligently boy.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 9:28pm On May 29, 2013
^^^^^^ Weak and boring..

Abeg go suffocate on some dry akpu..

lmao..
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by talktimi(m): 9:32pm On May 29, 2013
Eko Ile: ^^^^^^ Weak and boring..

Abeg go suffocate on some dry akpu..

lmao..
puppy dog abeg get a life na haba, everyone on nairaland knows you're a bigot so stop bugging me jare
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 9:44pm On May 29, 2013

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by blacklion(m): 2:28pm On May 30, 2013
dammytosh:

...please spare me the go back to your village crap.

If Americans think that low, A Kenyan man will not be the president.

Tinubu sychophants need millenia of evolution before they can reason like this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari To NNPC: Search For Oil In Benue Trough / Buhari, Osinbajo, Tinubu, Others Attend Crucial APC NEC Meeting / Governor Ganduje Slashes Political Appointees' Salaries By 50%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.