Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 (12788 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 05, 2013
[quote author=fokusy][/quote]
Nice share thanks.

FWIW, I consider Coastal brand a lower shelf product and won't use it even in my lawn mower but nonetheless it may be better than what is available locally.

Thanks for sharing that site though.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by fokusy: 10:07am On Jun 06, 2013
Somorin#1:

Nice share thanks.

FWIW, I consider Coastal brand a lower shelf product and won't use it even in my lawn mower but nonetheless it may be better than what is available locally.

Thanks for sharing that site though.

Somorin, i have been using it on my cars especially the Lubrigold Synthetic 5W30 and its excellent oil and cheaper than Mobil 1. I understand your reluctance and I also did my research before changing to it. I confirmed that the Coastal Brand is the house brand of Autozone, the leading auto part retailer in the US. If its good enough for them, its good enough for me especially since my cars are American Spec.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by earthrealm(m): 2:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
nope..coastal brand isnt the household brand of autozone retailers usa...go to autozone site and check you will see more than 16 oil brands....and ur beloved costal oil..they only have 1 gallon in stock!!!...

never ever heard of coastal oil..n i wouldnt use such an obscure and unknown brand....when i see people who hv 2m naira and above cars talk of cheap oil i really marvel.....you had 2m naira and above to buy a good car, yet shelling out 5 to 10k every 3 to 6months is a big issue to you?.............
meeeeeennnnnnnnnnn u guys need to change ur mind set..if its the cab driver that bought his car 250k saying cheap oil..i wudnt mind

i import parts from the usa..and i had a pal who needed spark plugs for his 2003 suv..........since spark plugs range in price from $1 to as high as $20 apiece, i asked him what price range plugs i shud buy........U KNOW WHAT HE SAID?...BUY THE CHEAPEST!!!!!.all plugs dey fire...........i was simply amazed, the cost savings he thinks he is making by buying the cheapest plugs [copper tip] would be paid back by the increased fuel consumption of his car cos of his cheap mentality...n thats how the average nigerian thinks shocked grin cool no pun intended
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by edoyad(m): 4:05pm On Jun 06, 2013
We're definitely cheap when it comes to car maintenance. About the oil, I'm forced to use Total 9000-5w40, though Hondas require the 5w20 oil thereabouts. This oil costs 9 thousand but can last you about 9 months or 9 thousand kilometers, which ever comes first. The guys at the Total station are even reluctant to use it, I don't know why
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by fokusy: 4:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
earthrealm: nope..coastal brand isnt the household brand of autozone retailers usa...go to autozone site and check you will see more than 16 oil brands....and ur beloved costal oil..they only have 1 gallon in stock!!!...

never ever heard of coastal oil..n i wouldnt use such an obscure and unknown brand....when i see people who hv 2m naira and above cars talk of cheap oil i really marvel.....you had 2m naira and above to buy a good car, yet shelling out 5 to 10k every 3 to 6months is a big issue to you?.............
meeeeeennnnnnnnnnn u guys need to change ur mind set..if its the cab driver that bought his car 250k saying cheap oil..i wudnt mind

i import parts from the usa..and i had a pal who needed spark plugs for his 2003 suv..........since spark plugs range in price from $1 to as high as $20 apiece, i asked him what price range plugs i shud buy........U KNOW WHAT HE SAID?...BUY THE CHEAPEST!!!!!.all plugs dey fire...........i was simply amazed, the cost savings he thinks he is making by buying the cheapest plugs [copper tip] would be paid back by the increased fuel consumption of his car cos of his cheap mentality...n thats how the average nigerian thinks shocked grin cool no pun intended

Earthworm, I said house brand not only brand. glad you checked out the autozone website and confirm they do carry it. It did not get on autozone shelf by chance, you know, it must have passed their quality tests, cos Autozone cannot afford to have a substandard product on their shelves cos of lawsuits. If all that's left is 1 gallon then it must be flying off the shelves.

Guess you are not aware that the current trend in retailing by big box stores is to carry the major brands of products and also have their own cheaper private label or house brand to compete with the major brands. If you go to Walmart for instance, they carry Mobil 1 and other major brands but also have their own private label called Super Tech motor oil. Because its their private label, the stores tend to promote them more than the major brands and also match them in quality for the most part.

Bottom line, I have been using Coastal Oil and ATF for some time now and no complaints, thank you. I still trust them over the inferior adulterated oil common on the streets of Lagos and I like the fact that I'm saving money and getting comparable quality to the big brand names.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
earthrealm: nope..coastal brand isnt the household brand of autozone retailers usa...go to autozone site and check you will see more than 16 oil brands....and ur beloved costal oil..they only have 1 gallon in stock!!!...

Thank you for this most eloquent post.

This is how I get in trouble on here. See me try to educate and isntead he's going to start lecturing me on doing research and house brand. Just say that this is all that you can afford. I can understand that. Goo denough belongs on horse courses not inside a cars engine.

As you said AutoZone carries many brands of oil and this Coastal is the cheapest bargain basement of them all and like I said I wouldn't even use it inside my lawn mower engine.

I'm starting to understadn the mindset of average Nigerians when it comes to car maintenance.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by DanGombe1: 11:57am On Jun 14, 2013
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 12:01pm On Jun 14, 2013
@Somorin,

I feel your pain bruv grin grin grin

Being cheap on car maintenance can bite you in the ass later. Now back to those viscosity ratings, a 2003 Toyota Corolla has a viscosity rating of 5w-30 as specified in the owner's manual. Unfortunately, you can't get that rating here from the major engine oil producers. However, i found a very close substitute to it (Quartz 9000 5w-40) at N8,000. It's fully synthetic. Can one use that safely in the car ? Thanks
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Marpol: 12:38pm On Jun 14, 2013
samir101ng: @Somorin,

I feel your pain bruv grin grin grin

Being cheap on car maintenance can bite you in the ass later. Now back to those viscosity ratings, a 2003 Toyota Corolla has a viscosity rating of 5w-30 as specified in the owner's manual. Unfortunately, you can't get that rating here from the major engine oil producers. However, i found a very close substitute to it (Quartz 9000 5w-40) at N8,000. It's fully synthetic. Can one use that safely in the car ? Thanks

Be careful with that Total Quartz 9000 oil. I used it on my 04 Xterra and it started smoking immediately and that was the 3rd service after I bought the SUV. I had to change the engine. Suspect there was a bad batch manufactured.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by earthrealm(m): 2:26pm On Jun 14, 2013
mobil 1 is 0ww 40 8500 naira....try it, was using mobil xhp and visco 2000 before..n my engine nearly knocked from sludge..[ mineral oils degrade, whether u drive 100miles or 3000miles..u shud change it b4 3months....i left mine for 3months+ thinking that cos i wasnt around much..that it doesnt matter and coupled with my short commute to work daily...the water vapour in the engine didnt hv a way of leaving the engine, thus it becomes mixed with the oil causing sludge............

so gents, next to bad oil...stop n go traffic and driving short commutes on a daily basis is a big engin e destroyer and using mineral oil worsens the whole thing
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Ikenna351(m): 10:20pm On Jun 14, 2013
I still dont understand why we are all saying Mineral Oils are bad oil. That your car engine doesnt run comfortable with a Mineral oil, does not mean its a bad oil, because that same oil your engine doesnt tolerate, another engine will smile when you run the engine with that oil. Engines are designed differently.

For years, i was using Quartz 5000, 20W-50, on my 2 PRVs, even before i sold one of them and bought a PR as a replacement. I was changing the oils on average of 6 months, never less than 6 months. Not even once did i see something i was not expecting to see on the oil while renewing the old with new oil. The old oils would always look as if they were barely used. The oil filler caps would always look as clean as i last left it. Not once have any of my engine emit blue smoke or underguage between the oil change interval. I drive my cars to any part of the country i travel to, except Lagos or state i do not know the road. Yet, the engines are always in top shape, running on Mineral oil, Quartz 5000.

I switched to semi-synthetic oil, Quartz 7000: 15W-50, last month in my ZN3J (PRV). But am beginning to see that as a waste of money. After discussing with other PRV users in dedicated forums, i realised that most of them have been running 10W 40 or 20W 50 (Mineral oils) in their PRVs for decades now. But they do use 10W 40 (Semi-synthetic or fully synthetic) during winter in those winters. From their long years of experience of those engines, the PRVs run very well on any good Mineral oil thrown at it. I may switch back to Quartz 5000 in the next oil change. I have not decided yet.

Engines are designed deferently. The designs may appear similar, but will not be identical. You cant handle Toyota the way you handle Peugeot. They are two different technologies, even though they would share some of the tech on the engines. Thats why car manufacturers do team up to share technologies and manufacture engines to use in some of their specific cars.

PSA designs their modern engines on Peugeots & Citroens to run perfectly well on Quartz 7000 (15W 50) & Quartz 9000 (5W 40), among others. They may not be ok for non PSA engines. So that Quartz 9000 or 7000 didnt work well in your engine, doesnt make them bad oil, likwise the Mineral oil, Quartz 5000 20W-50. Check the TOTAL website. On each of their products (engine oil), they stated the car manufacturers, apart from from Pigeot & Citroen, that approved/recommended the oils for their cars. For example, on Quartz 9000 (5W 40) can, you will see: Approved/recommended by Peugeot/Citroen, VW, MB, BMW & Porsche. Then in TOTAL website, you will see list of various Peugeot engine models with recommended TOTAL oil grades for each of those engines. They were recommended by PSA, not TOTAL.

Find what oil grade and brand your car manufacturer recommends for your engine.

Again, there is nothing wrong with Mineral oils. We talk as if semi-synthetic & fully synthetic oils have been with us since the '70s, '80s & '90s. When do we started seeing semi-synthetic & fully synthetic oils in Nigerian market? All those decades Nigerians had only Mineral oils in the market, were all engines having sludge issues? Please, if you are an old driver here, prove me wrong. The simple truth is that most modern engines these days dont tolerate Mineral oils, simple. But it doesnt make them bad oils.

Ikenna.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 12:24am On Jun 15, 2013
Ikenna351: I still dont understand why we are all saying Mineral Oils are bad oil. That your car engine doesnt run comfortable with a Mineral oil, does not mean its a bad oil, because that same oil your engine doesnt tolerate, another engine will smile when you run the engine with that oil. Engines are designed differently.

For years, i was using Quartz 5000, 20W-50, on my 2 PRVs, even before i sold one of them and bought a PR as a replacement. I was changing the oils on average of 6 months, never less than 6 months. Not even once did i see something i was not expecting to see on the oil while renewing the old with new oil. The old oils would always look as if they were barely used. The oil filler caps would always look as clean as i last left it. Not once have any of my engine emit blue smoke or underguage between the oil change interval. I drive my cars to any part of the country i travel to, except Lagos or state i do not know the road. Yet, the engines are always in top shape, running on Mineral oil, Quartz 5000.

I switched to semi-synthetic oil, Quartz 7000: 15W-50, last month in my ZN3J (PRV). But am beginning to see that as a waste of money. After discussing with other PRV users in dedicated forums, i realised that most of them have been running 10W 40 or 20W 50 (Mineral oils) in their PRVs for decades now. But they do use 10W 40 (Semi-synthetic or fully synthetic) during winter in those winters. From their long years of experience of those engines, the PRVs run very well on any good Mineral oil thrown at it. I may switch back to Quartz 5000 in the next oil change. I have not decided yet.

Engines are designed deferently. The designs may appear similar, but will not be identical. You cant handle Toyota the way you handle Peugeot. They are two different technologies, even though they would share some of the tech on the engines. Thats why car manufacturers do team up to share technologies and manufacture engines to use in some of their specific cars.

PSA designs their modern engines on Peugeots & Citroens to run perfectly well on Quartz 7000 (15W 50) & Quartz 9000 (5W 40), among others. They may not be ok for non PSA engines. So that Quartz 9000 or 7000 didnt work well in your engine, doesnt make them bad oil, likwise the Mineral oil, Quartz 5000 20W-50. Check the TOTAL website. On each of their products (engine oil), they stated the car manufacturers, apart from from Pigeot & Citroen, that approved/recommended the oils for their cars. For example, on Quartz 9000 (5W 40) can, you will see: Approved/recommended by Peugeot/Citroen, VW, MB, BMW & Porsche. Then in TOTAL website, you will see list of various Peugeot engine models with recommended TOTAL oil grades for each of those engines. They were recommended by PSA, not TOTAL.

Find what oil grade and brand your car manufacturer recommends for your engine.

Again, there is nothing wrong with Mineral oils. We talk as if semi-synthetic & fully synthetic oils have been with us since the '70s, '80s & '90s. When do we started seeing semi-synthetic & fully synthetic oils in Nigerian market? All those decades Nigerians had only Mineral oils in the market, were all engines having sludge issues? Please, if you are an old driver here, prove me wrong. The simple truth is that most modern engines these days dont tolerate Mineral oils, simple. But it doesnt make them bad oils.

Ikenna.

Not all of us are saying that mineral oil is bad.

I find synthetic to be a waste of money on cars that it wasntt designed for. I mean why use synthetic oil in a Honda Civic? It makes no sense. In say a COrvette or Mitsubishi Evolution then it makes sense.

Oil change intervals is also critical.

My advice to all is this and I agree with you, use the recommended oil and change it frequently. No engine has been lost due to excessive oil chagnes.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by earthrealm(m): 6:13pm On Jun 15, 2013
we are all saying the same thing.....i wudnt waste synthetic oil on my dads vboot, or any car produced after 2001....then peugeot cars, throwing synthetic oil at it is wasting time...even most bmw cars..that use 8litres of oil..on most car forums..people drive them for 12months and 15k miles on a single oil change......but i wudnt have an 09 camry n then put dion 20w 50 oil in it.............i hv been very close to knocking my toyota engine sometime in the past due to using the oil for more than 3months n abt 5k miles.......so i wudnt want to experience such again, cos am saving about 5 or 6k..then i wreck my engine.

in a nutshell..just like you said...use the oil that the car manufacturer specified for ur engine, and if u hv a toyota with the 0w 30 recommended...and the true mileage is less than 140k miles...i wud advice you to run 0w40, or max 10w 40 etc
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by viperman: 10:45pm On Jun 16, 2013
SIMPLE ADVICE: For most modern cars(2001-till date) Check your cars manual or the cover of your engine oil tank - the recommended oil rating(sometimes even the Name) for your car will clearly be written there. For the ones, with oil names of oils not easily obtained in nigeria like - Castrol oils etc Check the oil rating and go for the Mobil series of those ratings. Make sure you buy them at the big mobil gas station shops only. Even though there can be genuine ones in the market....to be on the safe side - DO NOT EVER BUY FROM THE AUTO MARKETS.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 8:40am On Jun 17, 2013
@Ikenna351

Your analysis is spot on. As long as the engine oi used in a vehicle conforms to the manufacturers specs then it's all good. Your decision to use synthetic or mineral based engine oil is based solely on your wallet.

@Somorin,

Here you go again ? Wetin worry you with Honda civic. grin grin grin If Adamu, Uchenna & Wole decided to put Mobil 1 synthetic in their Honda civic na their wallet now. You just finished talking to somebody about being cheap on car maintenance and your badgering Honda civic that plenty Nigerians use. Take time o !!! cheesy cheesy

@Marpol,

what was the engine oil viscosity rating of your 04' Nissan Xterra ? Are you telling me that the engine oil knocked your engine and you had to replace it ? Wow shocked shocked Any more information from the house as regards using Quartz 9000 (5w-40) for a 2004 Toyota Corolla with a rating of 5w-30 !!! Appreciate it
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Ngutor(m): 8:57am On Jun 17, 2013
Good day guys. Very informative thread to say the least. Everybody seems to be making sense and it rather compounds my problem. Simply put, I drive a Honda Accord 2005 model with rocommended oil rating of 5w 20. It has a real mileage of approximately 130k. Problem is I have looked for the recommended oil and have NEVER come across it anywhere. What is my best option then: Run the common 20w 50? Run synthetic and which? Look for the recommended rating and where?
My greatest joy will be to be able to overcome this dilemma.
Thank you
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by earthrealm(m): 7:43am On Jun 18, 2013
i advice u to run mobil 1 synthethic ow 40...or any oil with viscosity closer to the recommened range for ur car.
10w 40 is also ok, 15w 40 is still passable
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2013
I drive the I4 2003 Toyota Camry its my first car so I don't much about the oil thingy. I serivce at 4000 miles cos I travel often somtimes I cover 4k miles in less than 2months. My mecho services with a total oil and he says its good since I travel often. The oil is about 2500Naira. Is that ok?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by kuntash: 7:35am On Jun 24, 2013
.... in all these things unfortunately we dont manufacture cars... and unless auto makers have stopped selling cars to naija market... I believe Toyota knows some of their corrola, camry and avensis brands do land at our ports for sales... just take a look at their oil requirements, unless otherwise you also want to remind them of Nigeria's average temperature...

STICK TO WHAT D MAKER SAYS!
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by 9icetoo(m): 7:44am On Jun 24, 2013
Samir, the quartz engine is as close as u can get to ur recommended oil and is good enough. It will even cope better at higher temperatures from what i have read so far. So u r good.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Marpol: 7:53am On Jun 24, 2013
samir101ng: @Ikenna351

@Marpol,

what was the engine oil viscosity rating of your 04' Nissan Xterra ? Are you telling me that the engine oil knocked your engine and you had to replace it ? Wow shocked shocked Any more information from the house as regards using Quartz 9000 (5w-40) for a 2004 Toyota Corolla with a rating of 5w-30 !!! Appreciate it

I suspect they had a bad batch in the market. Nissan recommends a 5w30 oil for the xterra and I have used the 5w40 Total Quartz twice to service the car with no issues. Bought the 5litre can from a Total filling station on the fateful day and took it to my mechanic. He changed the oil and immidiately he started the car, boi come and see fumes everywhere. If I was not there when it happened I would have said the mechanic damaged my suv.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by lacasa: 11:51am On Jun 24, 2013
Ngutor: Good day guys. Very informative thread to say the least. Everybody seems to be making sense and it rather compounds my problem. Simply put, I drive a Honda Accord 2005 model with rocommended oil rating of 5w 20. It has a real mileage of approximately 130k. Problem is I have looked for the recommended oil and have NEVER come across it anywhere. What is my best option then: Run the common 20w 50? Run synthetic and which? Look for the recommended rating and where?
My greatest joy will be to be able to overcome this dilemma.
Thank you

Gurus pls give answwers to this, i'm in a similar dilemna myself
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by ikeyman00(m): 12:02pm On Jun 24, 2013
^^^ everybody and me inclusive keep saying to u go for 10w40

hope u finally listen this time

10w40 is still recommended here in UK for Honda with high mileage

as u know before u buy one make sure its genuine one ooo

no buy fake destory ur engine den u go say yes i buy am from petrol station grin

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by lacasa: 12:47pm On Jun 24, 2013
ikeyman00: ^^^ everybody and me inclusive keep saying to u go for 10w40

hope u finally listen this time

10w40 is still recommended here in UK for Honda with high mileage

as u know before u buy one make sure its genuine one ooo

no buy fake destory ur engine den u go say yes i buy am from petrol station grin

Oк, will get the 10w40 then
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by auhanson(m): 6:35pm On Jun 24, 2013
earthrealm: we are all saying the same thing.....i wudnt waste synthetic oil on my dads vboot, or any car produced after 2001....then peugeot cars, throwing synthetic oil at it is wasting time...even most bmw cars..that use 8litres of oil..on most car forums..people drive them for 12months and 15k miles on a single oil change......but i wudnt have an 09 camry n then put dion 20w 50 oil in it.............i hv been very close to knocking my toyota engine sometime in the past due to using the oil for more than 3months n abt 5k miles.......so i wudnt want to experience such again, cos am saving about 5 or 6k..then i wreck my engine.
in a nutshell..just like you said...use the oil that the car manufacturer specified for ur engine, and if u hv a toyota with the 0w 30 recommended...and the true mileage is less than 140k miles...i wud advice you to run 0w40, or max 10w 40 etc

Are u saying that using mobil1 0W40 in a vboot or benz 190 is a waste of oil? but that is the recommended oil for that car check that Benz manual.. i feel you are misguiding here..Ok, let me point out something to you, if u use visco 2000 or any 20w50 on your vboot or 190 , u have this hard starting kind of experience when the engine is cold or left overnight, u need to press down your throttle pedal before it comes up,also increased mpg as well(but when hot its start up one hand) If you use mobil 1 0W40 or any other synthetic oil in that range of say 5w40 etc, you dont have that effect. you may even use the oil for 12 to 15 months , so how does that explain wastage in your opinion? The only thing i could be afraid of is the oil filter catridge getting blocked and knocking engine, though this is not confirmed..neither do i know this to be true.

I am not comfortable with this explanation of yours because recently i started using mobil 1 in my benz 190, and i have started enjoying my early morning startup and mpg as well.. tho i have been using it steadily in my C class Benz
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by auhanson(m): 6:45pm On Jun 24, 2013
kuntash:

Hello Ikenna, even though some statements in the post might appear outrageous or hyped, the message is quite clear, and aside the biz intent which u smell, its a valid topic worth discussing on car talk,

many car owners need to be aware of the kinda oils they require for their ride .. and this is an avenue to share the ideas,

for example, I was in search of a quality and affordable engine oil for my car sometime last yr, and bumped on many choices and contrasting with our local Mobil-1 Sold here, I found out after using the foreign Mobil-1, other foreign brands of synthetic oils and the mobil-1 sold here, Bro indeed there was much difference, I didnt notice much difference performance-wise using local Mobil-1 with their XHP, and Ondo, Fortoil, Conoil, Total Mineral oils of 20w-50.

But after trying out some others... the diff was clear..

so bro, lets discuss it and refer marketing to another thread..

cheers

I am just shock to here that there are local mobil 1 sold in our filling stations(including Mobil filling stations?), please how do you differentiate that from the foreign ones ? what are the signs? I live in PH. Where do i get the foreign one?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by earthrealm(m): 7:18pm On Jun 24, 2013
@ AU.HANSOME I used that vboot 190 as an example cos I feel its an old car, just like Peugeot 505..that will hv high mileage and wudnt use 0w40 oil like mobil 1....

am a firm believer is using 0w 40 oil, if you go tru the thread carefully...since I started using mobil1 last yr...I hv never looked back...when u factor in the long oil change duration and the price of oil filter..u will see that using mobil 1 isn't as expensive as people think/say.i do 5k miles or 5months on my engines...even though the recommendation is 7k or 6months
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2013
samir101ng: @Ikenna351

Your analysis is spot on. As long as the engine oi used in a vehicle conforms to the manufacturers specs then it's all good. Your decision to use synthetic or mineral based engine oil is based solely on your wallet.

@Somorin,

Here you go again ? Wetin worry you with Honda civic. grin grin grin If Adamu, Uchenna & Wole decided to put Mobil 1 synthetic in their Honda civic na their wallet now. You just finished talking to somebody about being cheap on car maintenance and your badgering Honda civic that plenty Nigerians use. Take time o !!! cheesy cheesy

@Marpol,

As an Autoist I am concerned about the care given to automobiles.

Being anti cheap in car maintenance does not mean that you have to overcompensate by using ridiculously expensive oils on an engine that is not designed for it. Hwo about if Brosses Uche and co just change their dino oil and filter on manufacturers extreme usage timeline?

AS is always my intent on here, proper information is critical. I do not want any other NLer to think/beleive that Civics have to use Synthetic oil as they don't.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by sultaan(m): 12:56am On Jul 21, 2013
I was at the store to buy oil for my oil change so I decided to take some pics since it seems most users don't know there are other weights apart from 20w50.

You'll rarely find a 20w50 for those driving '70s cars and then there is the spec by manufacturers

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Ngutor(m): 6:36am On Jul 21, 2013
Sultaan but that is not Nigeria?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by sultaan(m): 8:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
Ngutor: Sultaan but that is not Nigeria?

Is the car you drive made in Nigeria?

The pic was meant to show that for the cars in the market today, they are made to run on the low weight oils.

If someone is selling palm oil to you as engine oil, you will think its normal until some proves otherwise.

If every user insist on the proper oils you will find it and that will create a true demand for the right oils.

You should not be destroying your million naira car because you can't find a #3k oil

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 22, 2013
My heart bled when I was changing my breakpads at the mecho, I saw some dude mount a new engine on a 2000 Audi A6 only for him to use a AP visco 2000 engine oil as the gear oil. Some mechos are destroyers are most car owners don't take time to research. Thanks to this thread I'm getting my car the right oils from now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Driving With Or Without Shoes / "For Sale" Sign On Moving Vehicles Illegal - FCT VIO / 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.