Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 (12794 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 4:12am On Jul 22, 2013
sultaan: I was at the store to buy oil for my oil change so I decided to take some pics since it seems most users don't know there are other weights apart from 20w50.

You'll rarely find a 20w50 for those driving '70s cars and then there is the spec by manufacturers

Good old Walmart.

I buy Castrol 20W50 there for my 1960s and 1970's Austin Minis.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 8:54am On Jul 22, 2013
@sultaan,

Unfortunately, you can't find those types of engine oil available to the "ordinary consumer" here in Nigeria. 90% of engine oils here are purchased at the filling station (we have listed the major brands earlier). Yes, as a car owner you should be knowledgeable about the type of engine oil your car requires. However, not everyone is "willing" to spend an extra amount (N5000+) on their car engine oil when they have other serious commitments in their lives. This is where Somorin#1's statement about using a high end synthetic engine oil on a low end car comes into play.

However, when your driving a relatively newer model car (2005+) there's no argument for being cheap and putting a low quality engine oil in your vehicle. If you can afford to purchase such a car, then be prepared for its maintenance expenses.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by JUO(m): 1:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
@ IKENNA i think this total Quartz 5000, 20W-50 is too light. bought this oil last week and i was disappointed with the performance. the oil gets hot quickly and remained lighter in the engine, as high as 115°C with steady temperature of 96°C. the highest i have seen with mobile xhp is 106°C with steady temperature of 92°C. i don't want my engine to get bad. on a high way my steady speed is 160kph. see the picture below with total

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by dandollar1: 4:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
Please I want to change to mobil 1 0w40 from mobil 20w50 for a 2007 honda accord. Is this OK?

2. I want to change from water in my radiator to TOTAL coolant. Please is TOTAL coolant ok for 07 accord? Thanx.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by sultaan(m): 4:57pm On Jul 22, 2013
Oil does not make your engine hot.You should be looking at how Clean your radiator is or state of coolant
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by JUO(m): 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
I think you have little knowledge about this
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by dandollar1: 9:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
dan_dollar: Please I want to change to mobil 1 0w40 from mobil 20w50 for a 2007 honda accord. Is this OK?

2. I want to change from water in my radiator to TOTAL coolant. Please is TOTAL coolant ok for 07 accord? Thanx.
someone please respond to me
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Ngutor(m): 8:25am On Jul 23, 2013
sultaan:

Is the car you drive made in Nigeria?

The pic was meant to show that for the cars in the market today, they are made to run on the low weight oils.

If someone is selling palm oil to you as engine oil, you will think its normal until some proves otherwise.

If every user insist on the proper oils you will find it and that will create a true demand for the right oils.

You should not be destroying your million naira car because you can't find a #3k oil
Guy seems you didnt see the question mark. Well I was only trying to establish if that was Nigeria. I try my best to follow manufacturers recommendations. That challenge for me, like many persons in Nigeria, is how to source them. When I put ATF DW-1 in my 1999 Accord my mechanic almost passed out cos a liter cost 2,800 naira * 5. He was like AP's Visco 2000 for 3000 naira only will do a better job. If These OEM's are readily available cost wouldnt be an issue to some of us and we can then drive awareness from there. How can you recommend something for someone that you yourself never see?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by DanGombe1: 8:40am On Jul 23, 2013
dan_dollar: someone please respond to me

The recommend engine oil for a 2007 Honda Accord is 5w-20. You can check earlier posts for pics of engine oils that have this rating. As you can see 0w-40 is not the recommended rating.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by DanGombe1: 8:56am On Jul 23, 2013
@JUO,

What type of vehicle do you use ?

What does your car owners manual say is the engine oil rating for your car ?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by cretin: 10:30am On Jul 23, 2013
@ dan gombe
he can use 0w 40, if he cant find 5w 20

the 0w/5w indicates the lower tempreture range that the oil would still be fluid...0w i think is upto -17deg, 5w i think is about 0deg...as you can see naija temp rarely goes below 20 degree...so it doesnt matter which of the oils u use.....
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by dandollar1: 10:10pm On Jul 23, 2013
cretin: @ dan gombe

the 0w/5w indicates the lower tempreture range that the oil would still be fluid...0w i think is upto -17deg, 5w i think is about 0deg...as you can see naija temp rarely goes below 20 degree...so it doesnt matter which of the oils u use.....
Thanx.please what of TOTAL coolant for my radiator?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by fokusy: 10:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
5w20 and 5w30 synthetic engine oil is available for affordable prices at Autoselect in in Lagos. The company is also present in Abuja. I believe they are running a promo on their synthetic oil currently. Check their website at www.autoselectcorp.com and call their phone numbers.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by earthrealm(m): 10:07am On Jul 24, 2013
total coolant is good for your car...I think its premixed already/...so no need to dilute again with water......though most Nigerians usually do a 50;50 mix or a 80:2o mix with water..just to save a few naira....

@ poster advertising 0w 20 oils...pls I hope its original...which make is the oil?...some bad persons can mix anything and slap a 0w 20 sticker on it, just to make money.

so pls if u are buying oil..go for a known make from a good shop
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by lacasa: 4:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
cretin: @ dan gombe

But i was made to understand mileage has a part to play in selectiong oil for ur engine right?.

Cos my 05accord states 5w20 but was adviced in this same thread to go higher to 10w40 as my mileage is getting to abt 75,000 on the odometer.

Though i'm not in nigeria presently​ so​ i avent tried the 10w40 yet on my ride

​ so​, i guess he shld state his car's mileage
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 4:05pm On Jul 25, 2013
Guys, let's be clear on something !!!

The manufacturer of your vehicle has specified a particular rating for your engine. Be it 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-20, 5w-30 etc These recommendations are made after exhaustive R&D testing. You cannot just pour any type of engine oil into your car engine because you feel like. The consequences are yours to bear. If you cannot get the recommended type, then try to get one as close to your rating as possible e.g 5w-20 recommended, using 5w-30.

@Lacasa,

Yes, mileage is a factor when choosing some engine oils as engines with high mileage tend to need more special lubricants than normal. The Mobil 1 extended performance engine oils is an example of an engine oil recommended for engines with high mileage. However, there is a standard version available for engines with less mileage.

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by auhanson(m): 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2013
earthrealm: @ AU.HANSOME I used that vboot 190 as an example cos I feel its an old car, just like Peugeot 505..that will hv high mileage and wudnt use 0w40 oil like mobil 1....

am a firm believer is using 0w 40 oil, if you go tru the thread carefully...since I started using mobil1 last yr...I hv never looked back...when u factor in the long oil change duration and the price of oil filter..u will see that using mobil 1 isn't as expensive as people think/say.i do 5k miles or 5months on my engines...even though the recommendation is 7k or 6months

Its ok, but are you trying to say that using it in benz 190 like in my own case is a waste?because i have over 3k miles there though the engine still sounds like it was manufactured today at the Frankfort factory with dew drops from the exhaust at morning steaming and without the slightest smoking?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by lacasa: 12:06am On Jul 27, 2013
samir101ng: Guys, let's be clear on something !!!

The manufacturer of your vehicle has specified a particular rating for your engine. Be it 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-20, 5w-30 etc These recommendations are made after exhaustive R&grin testing. You cannot just pour any type of engine oil into your car engine because you feel like. The consequences are yours to bear. If you cannot get the recommended type, then try to get one as close to your rating as possible e.g 5w-20 recommended, using 5w-30.

@Lacasa,

Yes, mileage is a factor when choosing some engine oils as engines with high mileage tend to need more special lubricants than normal. The Mobil 1 extended performance engine oils is an example of an engine oil recommended for engines with high mileage. However, there is a standard version available for engines with less mileage.

Oк samir101ng, i grab ur point.

But wt 75k miileage on my eod, the advisedd switch to 10w30 or 10w40 is suitable right?.

Cos i'm really Weary of smoking and wear on my engine. The 20w50 i was using burns up within 2months, and it sparked my fac finding mission on oils, which got me here.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by JUO(m): 5:34am On Jul 27, 2013
oil can only escape from engine through exhaust. if your oil is burning that's abnormal. valve seal or rings may be gone
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by earthrealm(m): 9:32am On Jul 27, 2013
@lacasa if 20w 50 burns up quickly under 2 months, then 0w 30 which is even lighter will burn up more quickly!!!!...ur car smoking cud be a sign of other problems............did u by chance remove ur thermostat?..or bypass the temp sensor?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 27, 2013
JUO: oil can only escape from engine through exhaust. if your oil is burning that's abnormal. valve seal or rings may be gone

Also, oil can leave the engine externally through worn seals and such.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by lacasa: 12:47am On Jul 28, 2013
earthrealm: @lacasa if 20w 50 burns up quickly under 2 months, then 0w 30 which is even lighter will burn up more quickly!!!!...ur car smoking cud be a sign of other problems............did u by chance remove ur thermostat?..or bypass the temp sensor?

Yes, i'ld say 1 and a half to 2 months and the dip stick will signify shortage of engine oil. At say, half level.

The funny thing is, my eod doesn't smoke at all. The Thermostat has not bn touched and working fine.

i've done a leak test by parking on a clear surface and leaving it overnight. Then checking for oil drop signs underneath/on the floor but nothing at all.

#.. Though, i travel long distance with the car frequently, ​ so​ i dnt know if that will make my oil burn faster but i doubt it.

If going down to 10w40 or Ow40 will burn even faster, then i guess i will stick with the current 20w50 till i have my engine checked in/out by an expert.

Or what will u guys advise at this point? Thanks.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by jpphilips(m): 6:03pm On Jul 31, 2013
JUO: @ IKENNA i think this total Quartz 5000, 20W-50 is too light. bought this oil last week and i was disappointed with the performance. the oil gets hot quickly and remained lighter in the engine, as high as 115°C with steady temperature of 96°C. the highest i have seen with mobile xhp is 106°C with steady temperature of 92°C. i don't want my engine to get bad. on a high way my steady speed is 160kph. see the picture below with total

what ikenna doesnt know is that TOTAL and PEUGEOT are french owned with similar shareholders who use such recommendations to maximize sales.

Peugeot help total to sell their oil through product recommendation because both coys are owned by some recurrent share holders go figure.

if you use Total because peugeot recommends it then you are as gullible as the person who doesnt understand why Exxon and chevron are ridding on halliburton's services.

ikenna believe me, your peugeot is better off with a mobil variant.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by JUO(m): 10:01am On Aug 01, 2013
what ikenna doesnt know is that TOTAL and PEUGEOT are french owned with similar shareholders who use such recommendations to maximize sales.

Peugeot help total to sell their oil through product recommendation because both coys are owned by some recurrent share holders go figure.

if you use Total because peugeot recommends it then you are as gullible as the person who doesnt understand why Exxon and chevron are ridding on halliburton's services.

ikenna believe me, your peugeot is better off with a mobil variant.
dem too believe on theory. i believe on practical. why don't you/we boil this so called oil and see what happens. at 110°C most of them na water. assuming the engine temperature is 120°C and the oil we use can only withstand 110°C what happens? those of you driving 200km/h i pity your engine and gear box without proper oil N.B THIS IS NOT WATER TEMPERATURE

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by sultaan(m): 12:37am On Aug 02, 2013
JUO: dem too believe on theory. i believe on practical. why don't you/we boil this so called oil and see what happens. at 110°C most of them na water. assuming the engine temperature is 120°C and the oil we use can only withstand 110°C what happens? those of you driving 200km/h i pity your engine and gear box without proper oil N.B THIS IS NOT WATER TEMPERATURE

That is where the specification comes in if you take a jar of AP oil it might SB and the current spec is SN and might be for cars made in 1982 look at pics I posted earlier SN will meet and exceed SB, but will not meet SN spec
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by anneki(m): 8:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
Gentlemen,

5W-20 and 5W-30 engine oils are available at the following locations

LAGOS

Solutions Plus Ltd - 297 Borno Way, Yaba. 07081609482, 08085373626.

ABUJA

Crystal Express Resources - Lifecamp. 08052050840, 08063130991.

PORT-HARCOURT

NetLink Technical Services - 22 Ohiamini Str, GRA Phase 2. 08028845922.

i hope this helps.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by motopartsarena(f): 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2014
Never remove the radiator cap until the engine has thoroughly cooled. The tightness and condition of drive belts, clamps and hoses should be checked by a pro.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by motopartsarena(f): 5:37pm On Jan 10, 2014
Never remove the radiator cap until the engine has thoroughly cooled. The tightness and condition of drive belts, clamps and hoses should be checked by a pro.

MotoPartsArena
http://motopartsarena.com
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by tsiriman(m): 3:55pm On Aug 05, 2014
Please dear learned people in the house,
I have a 2008 honda accord with a mileage of 140k, I use mobil1 0W40, I now want to change to the recommended mobil1 5W20, do I change or should I keep using the 0W40 because of the high mileage?

Thank you.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by tsiriman(m): 9:47am On Aug 06, 2014
No one to advice?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Driving With Or Without Shoes / "For Sale" Sign On Moving Vehicles Illegal - FCT VIO / 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.