Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,654 members, 7,820,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day (8847 Views)

Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Group Wants Igbanke Included In The Proposed Anioma State / The 6th Igbo State Must Be Anioma State- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Nobody: 1:29am On Jun 03, 2013
Andre Uweh:
You personally not Igbo is ok, but Ukwuanis are Igbos.

Ok.
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Nobody: 1:33am On Jun 03, 2013
pazienza:

I am sure that you are from one of those isoko speaking communities in ukwuaniland, communities like Etevie in Ibrede clan, ibrede we all know was founded by Uruabohs, that you isoko people from Iyede were allowed to settle there in great numbers by benevolent uruabohs and were even allowed to have your odionlogbo does not make ukwuani isokoland. It simply means that you are an isoko in an igbo territory,when you are tired of staying here,you can go back to iyede where your ancestors came from.

You could be Onogbokor clan,but do remember that Itebiege is but a customary tenant to their neighbourin aboh speaking communities.

All the isoko speaking/related people in Ibedeni,Ibrede(etevie),Onogbokor(itiegbe) and Igbuku all know where they came from in isokoland,anyday you guys are tired of staying in igbo territory known as ukwuani, you can relocate back to isokoland.

After all,all originally igbo speaking people that migrated to isokoland have since isokonized,from Aviara(Ase), Ozoro( Oputa aboh),to igbide(mgbidi) the story was the same,they had long surrendered their igbo ancestry to build a stronger isoko nation, you guys would either have to toe their path,or find yourself deported to isokoland ASAP, you can't be allowed to continue being a hinderance to igbo unity.

I hear you.

1 Like

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by pazienza(m): 1:41am On Jun 03, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Who cares if you are Igbo or not?. You may not be Igbo but do not claim that Ukwuanis are not Igbo people. Arochukwu is almost surrounded by Ibibio communities yet they don't claim Ibibio. It is an outright stupidity for one to say that his community is bordered by non Igbo communities and as a result, he is not Igbo.
Anyway, most Ukwuanis who matter in Nigeria are proud Igbo. One of the founding fathers of Ohanaeze today is from Ukwuani under the name of Hon Oputa.
A famous Nigerian wrestler Power Uti has always maintained his Igbo origin till date.
In Scotland, a surgeon-Dr Iwelumo is one of the founding members of Igbo Union in Scotland yet he is an Ndokwa man. His son is a famous footballer that represents the Scotland national team. This are just few examples, so go with your Isoko neighbours as we do not need you.

He knows what he is saying,those people don't just have isoko neighbours, they are isoko in all sense of that word. They speak a dialect of isoko and not ukwuani igbo,even though most of them are bilingual,in that they can equally speak ukwuani igbo. Their kings goes by the title odionlogbo,an isoko word,unlike other ukwuani towns that have Igwe,okpala uku and other typical igbo king titles.

In Ibedeni, a town founded by two guys by the name Ibe and Ebeni,both of who were said to be bini migrants,though i don't believe that nonesense story,as both ibe and ebeni sounds igbo to me.
Anyway, Ibedeni got infiltrated somewhere along the line by many isoko elements,and today,their king goes by the name Ogene.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by vanbonattel: 7:37am On Jun 03, 2013
Obodo n' ekweli mu o, ukwe ndi Anioma o
Obodo n' ekweli mu o, ukwe ndi Anioma oo
Obodo n' ekweli mu o, ukwe ndi Anioma ooo

Ukwe anyi ji eje mba ukwe anyi ji eme onu,
Ukwe ndi Anioma, ndi nwe egwu.

Melodious tunes playing in my background by an Onicha Olona girl, hard to believe these people are still contesting their Igbo ancestry. Hard to believe.

2 Likes

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Preshioux(m): 6:25pm On Jul 10, 2013
No senatorial district in delta state can win an election alone without the support of atleast 1 other district...Great Ogboru can attest to that...
if u go to delta central on election period, u wud even find 90yrs old man casting his vote, but my people wud seat at home n tell u election is 4 hoodlums n am no exception...
Anioma state? i just cant wait, but wud prefer it in d SS...
My peeps whether Enuani, Ika, Ukwuani or Ndosimili, let 2015 not pass us by..
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by enm(m): 7:31pm On Jul 10, 2013
now i know why delta is where it is today?

A lot of work need to be done in re educating the people of delta. what concerned tribe or ethnicity with development and progress?

if you the anioma people think that you people are being marginalized what then should the isoko people say?

If you people like create 100 anioma state today the problem of under development will still be there. Do you want to know why?

BAD LEADERSHIP
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tpia5: 3:22am On Jul 11, 2013
hmm, funny dream i had the other day. . . . . . . . .

very surprised to see this post. . . . . . . .
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by dayokanu(m): 4:15am On Jul 11, 2013
I dey laff
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 8:25pm On Nov 20, 2013
Garri the 1st: The Anioma people like their brothers across the Niger are big cry-babies. Wrapper tying men who whine all day, thinking things will be dumped on ur laps without having to for it.

They are more than the Itsekiris in terms of population as well as land mass, yet the Itsekiris have produced the governor of Delta state while they keep doing what they do best. Same way the S.E. Ibos think crying and whining is the way to get a shot at the presidency.

If the Aniomas like, they should keep whining on billboards and other media, 2015 will come and afterwards their crying will still continue..

Awuuf loving folks!!

cool cool cool
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 8:25pm On Nov 20, 2013
Garri the 1st: The Anioma people like their brothers across the Niger are big cry-babies. Wrapper tying men who whine all day, thinking things will be dumped on ur laps without having to for it.

They are more than the Itsekiris in terms of population as well as land mass, yet the Itsekiris have produced the governor of Delta state while they keep doing what they do best. Same way the S.E. Ibos think crying and whining is the way to get a shot at the presidency.

If the Aniomas like, they should keep whining on billboards and other media, 2015 will come and afterwards their crying will still continue..

Awuuf loving folks!!

cool cool cool

when people talk like this....I pity them.they say igbos haven't produced president lately...that's not debatable.but let's take a cursory look at the regions that has produced presidents and how they fared.look at west or yorubas.visit ekiti and oshogbo villages and see desolateness,visit ubabdan and see poverty...this even prompted shoprite to decide to close shop there.then what of north...let's not talk about it. they are damn backward.the only thing thing they got is illiteracy and stupidity
if you visit igbo towns that sprung up after the war like owerri,aba,enugu,umuahia,lately asaba you will see ingenuity,self determined people and so on.

if been presidency will make igbo regions be as complacent .as other regions pls keep your presidency.

another curse is oil.I lived in warri and I married ukwuani...I ask why is it oil producing regions always backward,poor and detested. have been to bagels,isoko,ijaw and see squalor. they use their money to develop abuja while they the south south buys guns and abandon schools and trade.that's why you see other tribes manning the oil installations.I knew this when dad was dealing with chevron on some engineering project.

the delta north are igbos and they should know that democracy is all about numbers not isolation...the earlier the embrace their brothers in east for the so called anioma state the better. look at itshekiri and yoruba collaborations.....its paying them. they say that delta north ain't core deltans....I think the best thing is to focus in state creation like the way igbos in rivers got theirs.

its all about choice and numbers...let's face the fact the governors from uduaghan to this iyanya dancing governor ain't doing anything with the so called oil money. if they have a way asaba won't be capital. then let their be unity amongst you. not I am ndokwaman ,I am ika man,you are igbo with this we can get it

anuko mamiri onu.....ogba ufufu....udo diri unu umunnem

6 Likes

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 8:38pm On Nov 20, 2013
malc619:

Ibos will accuse you of being a Yoruba person....

cheesy cheesy

IGBOS DON'T AND WON'T ACCUSE HIM OF BEING A YORUBA WE DON'T DENY OUR BROTHERS.WE FOUGHT TOGETHER IN THE WARS SO WHY SHOULD WE....UNLESS HE IS A SABOTEUR AND BEHAVES LIKE EM...BUT IF WE KNOW OUR BROTHERS WE DO NOT DENY AND IT IS NOT IN OUR CULTURE TO DENY AN IGBO....GO CHECK THE HISTORY.I DON'T THINK THE OP IS AN IGBO FROM ANIOMA REGION.DON'T LET HIM decide and divide us biko

udo diri unu
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Garrithe1st: 10:44pm On Nov 20, 2013
tonychristopher:

when people talk like this....I pity them.they say igbos haven't produced president lately...that's not debatable.but let's take a cursory look at the regions that has produced presidents and how they fared.look at west or yorubas.visit ekiti and oshogbo villages and see desolateness,visit ubabdan and see poverty...this even prompted shoprite to decide to close shop there.then what of north...let's not talk about it. they are damn backward.the only thing thing they got is illiteracy and stupidity
if you visit igbo towns that sprung up after the war like owerri,aba,enugu,umuahia,lately asaba you will see ingenuity,self determined people and so on.

if been presidency will make igbo regions be as complacent .as other regions pls keep your presidency.

another curse is oil.I lived in warri and I married ukwuani...I ask why is it oil producing regions always backward,poor and detested. have been to bagels,isoko,ijaw and see squalor. they use their money to develop abuja while they the south south buys guns and abandon schools and trade.that's why you see other tribes manning the oil installations.I knew this when dad was dealing with chevron on some engineering project.

the delta north are igbos and they should know that democracy is all about numbers not isolation...the earlier the embrace their brothers in east for the so called anioma state the better. look at itshekiri and yoruba collaborations.....its paying them. they say that delta north ain't core deltans....I think the best thing is to focus in state creation like the way igbos in rivers got theirs.

its all about choice and numbers...let's face the fact the governors from uduaghan to this iyanya dancing governor ain't doing anything with the so called oil money. if they have a way asaba won't be capital. then let their be unity amongst you. not I am ndokwaman ,I am ika man,you are igbo with this we can get it

anuko mamiri onu.....ogba ufufu....udo diri unu umunnem

Wetin this one dey talk?
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 4:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Garri the 1st:

Wetin this one dey talk?

our people.said...if you dont have anything or doesnt know anything to say just blow whitsle. must u comment. just tell me what you have .said than ask stupid question. look at the type of name he bears.

ewu oyibo

5 Likes

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 4:56am On Nov 21, 2013
van bonattel: Obodo n' ekweli mu o, ukwe ndi Anioma o
Obodo n' ekweli mu o, ukwe ndi Anioma oo
Obodo n' ekweli mu o, ukwe ndi Anioma ooo

Ukwe anyi ji eje mba ukwe anyi ji eme onu,
Ukwe ndi Anioma, ndi nwe egwu.

Melodious tunes playing in my background by an Onicha Olona girl, hard to believe these people are still contesting their Igbo ancestry. Hard to believe.

they dont find it hard to accept igboness just some of them who are at bottom of pyramid and misguided ones who are insignificant and also those whose fore fathers are refugees from benin and yoruba land. they will want everybody to believe that there wasnt anybody when they migrated to their present day but ended up speaking igbo and bearing igbo names. igbos must have been the best colonisers better than brithian. making people to loose their main toungue,bear their names and have their culture. what a travesty. britian colonised us but we still speak our native langugae and native names. so you can see they are igbos just the issue of identity crisis is disturbing few of them not all.

but nevere worry...other tribes in delta will remind them that they are igbo.the way igbanke are reminded in edo.they cry and wants their original name igbo akiri reverted. you dont call God fool....he created you igbo a mojority tribe and why making yourself minority. what is wrong is classifying anioma as a south east state. what matters is not oil but indidividuals.look at aba and nnewi and industries...look at onitsha and commerce,look at owerri and tourism
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Garrithe1st: 5:55am On Nov 21, 2013
tonychristopher:

our people.said...if you dont have anything or doesnt know anything to say just blow whitsle. must u comment. just tell me what you have .said than ask stupid question. look at the type of name he bears.

I am an Ewu-Oyibo

OK... Noted!!
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by kel4soft: 6:13am On Nov 21, 2013
This is getting interesting. In Rivers State for example. Opobians are the minority in that state. But, they seem to be relevant in the politics over there. Every administration that come on board, they tend to manoeuvre themselves into relevance. Even though they speak Igbo as an official language, they bear Ijaw names hence, they are classify as Ibanis, a sub-Ijaw ethnic group.
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by wirinet(m): 6:28am On Nov 21, 2013
The Igbos need to learn that they cannot define the identity of another person or another tribe. Identity is often a personal attribute which people hold very dear and it defines how we choose to define ourselves. You cannot force a person to be igbo if the person does not see himself as one.

First you have to define what it means to be igbo. Yorubas have loosely defined being Yoruba as being decendants of Oduduwa, the ways Jews define themselves as being decendants of Abraham and David. We knew what it meant to be Roman and even English. Most former French colonies of west africa see themselves as French, but what does being igbo mean?

Language does not neccessarily define our identity. For example we the Itsekiris speak a dialect of the yoruba language and are culturally closely associated with the yorubas, but you would incure the anger of an average itsekiri if you call him an "ara oke", meaning Yoruba. That is why we are comfortable with the Yorubas, they refer to us as brothers and give us all the rights and respects they accord all other Yoruba tribes but at the same time recognizing we are distinct.

I ask again, what does it mean to be igbo, is it language, culture, physical looks, core values, history, religion, leadership, historical conquest? What?

It is the same question I ask my Igbo in-laws, what does Biafra mean? What does it mean to be a Biafran? I was surprised my Igbo neighbour thought Biafra meant Bia (come in igbo) and Fra ( a word in calabar). He was shocked that biafra is not even an igbo word, and that most of physical Biafra lies in Gabon.

2 Likes

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2013
ogo2707: @ J12 Please your claim that all anioma folks with exception of ika accept being igbo is grossly false. I'm ukwuani from the anioma region and i see isoko sand urhobos as closer brothers than igbos. My hometown is bordered by an isoko town on one side and an urhobo town on another side so i don't get what makes me anything close to being igbo. Don't misjudge my assertion as being biased against the igbos because i know they are great people, infact 80% of the ladies I've dated are from across the niger but that doesn't mean i won't correct the fact that nothing makes me igbo. Maybe the anioma people you know are mostly from the asaba end of anioma hence your conclusion.
. Young man, I am so disappointed in you. The Nigeria civil war is over, wake up! That was why most people in your area denied their ancestory. Nigerian troups are gone since 1970. Before the war most military officers in the then eastern Region see themselves as igbos.

Go and contest election and see if you get a single vote from Isoko and urhobo people. Those don't see you as their brothers, they hate you. Don't let oil decieve you. I just pity some igbo speaking tribes like the ukwuanis and the Ikas they are the most foolish tribe in delta state. They are the one kicking against their Anioma state. You seem not to have identity those your neighbours detaste you. Wake up

4 Likes

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by revolt(m): 7:21am On Nov 21, 2013
wirinet: The Igbos need to learn that they cannot define the identity of another person or another tribe. Identity is often a personal attribute which people hold very dear and it defines how we choose to define ourselves. You cannot force a person to be igbo if the person does not see himself as one.

First you have to define what it means to be igbo. Yorubas have loosely defined being Yoruba as being decendants of Oduduwa, the ways Jews define themselves as being decendants of Abraham and David. We knew what it meant to be Roman and even English. Most former French colonies of west africa see themselves as French, but what does being igbo mean?

Language does not neccessarily define our identity. For example we the Itsekiris speak a dialect of the yoruba language and are culturally closely associated with the yorubas, but you would incure the anger of an average itsekiri if you call him an "ara oke", meaning Yoruba. That is why we are comfortable with the Yorubas, they refer to us as brothers and give us all the rights and respects they accord all other Yoruba tribes but at the same time recognizing we are distinct.

I ask again, what does it mean to be igbo, is it language, culture, physical looks, core values, history, religion, leadership, historical conquest? What?

It is the same question I ask my Igbo in-laws, what does Biafra mean? What does it mean to be a Biafran? I was surprised my Igbo neighbour thought Biafra meant Bia (come in igbo) and Fra ( a word in calabar). He was shocked that biafra is not even an igbo word, and that most of physical Biafra lies in Gabon.
you can never understand!! The relationship btw yorubas and itsekiris is even more political than traditional. For a start you don't even bear same names, neither do u share mother tongue etc itsekiris r closer to benin sef. Anyways back to our FEW identity crises ridden anioma fols, we speak relatively same dialect, share same culture and ancestry, even same persecution, but still deny their identity. All These was because of the civil war persecutions they faced!! But the wars ended long time ago. They're still hoping to be accepted by their neigbours with the continous denial. Its funny they actually try so hard not to speak their language when they're with oda deltans so as not to expose their igboness. Well igbos generaLly are individualistic ppl so we really don't care if they deny or not but for sure we remain passive to their political remonstrations. If they require our support and ask wed come to their aide. The anioma issue is a dream cos there's no way they'll create it without cutting anambra too, whch ofcos u knw the EasT deserves anoda state. I don't even how u reduce ur nmba sentimentallly in a democracy and expect to hve an advantage!! Na wa o
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by wirinet(m): 8:51am On Nov 21, 2013
revolt: you can never understand!! The relationship btw yorubas and itsekiris is even more political than traditional. For a start you don't even bear same names, neither do u share mother tongue etc itsekiris r closer to benin sef. Anyways back to our FEW identity crises ridden anioma fols, we speak relatively same dialect, share same culture and ancestry, even same persecution, but still deny their identity. All These was because of the civil war persecutions they faced!! But the wars ended long time ago. They're still hoping to be accepted by their neigbours with the continous denial. Its funny they actually try so hard not to speak their language when they're with oda deltans so as not to expose their igboness. Well igbos generaLly are individualistic ppl so we really don't care if they deny or not but for sure we remain passive to their political remonstrations. If they require our support and ask wed come to their aide. The anioma issue is a dream cos there's no way they'll create it without cutting anambra too, whch ofcos u knw the EasT deserves anoda state. I don't even how u reduce ur nmba sentimentallly in a democracy and expect to hve an advantage!! Na wa o

My brother get some education and if education is too expensive Google is free. The relationship between Yorubas more political than traditional? who told you that? You must have been reading some of the propaganda spewed out by my Urhobo brothers over the Olu of Warri controversy.
That is the problem I have always had with you igbos, you arrogantly claim to know more about other people and their ancestry than the people themself. Itsekiris are closer in terms of cultural affinity to the Yorubas. than the Benis. That you can state that we do not share the same mother tongue shows your level of ignorance, and that you have never heard an Itsekiri speak. It is the Itsekiri monarchy that has its roots in the Benin Kingdom, Just like the British monarchy has its root in Germany. But it would be stupid to imply that the british are from Germany.

The Itsekiri language is basically an Ijebu dialect of yoruba with sprinklings of Portuguese and very little Beni. In fact the Itsekiri language is closer to the original yoruba language than the adulterated yoruba created by bishop Ajayi Crowder that is spoken in most urban centres. Most Tsekiri names have Yoruba counterparts with same meanings but slight variations in spellings.

It is not in your place to tell Anioma people where they belong, unless you are anioma itself. Let them choose their identity themslves. I used to have a girlfriend from Ogwashi-Uku and it I want to incure her wrath, I would call her an igbo lady. She would flare up and say she is not igbo. Up till today, I am still confused why some Anioma people refused to be identified with igbos. But I still say, you cannot imposed your identity on others.

You igbo people need to define what it means to be igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Nobody: 9:54am On Nov 21, 2013
wirinet:

My brother get some education and if education is too expensive Google is free. The relationship between Yorubas more political than traditional? who told you that? You must have been reading some of the propaganda spewed out by my Urhobo brothers over the Olu of Warri controversy.
That is the problem I have always had with you igbos, you arrogantly claim to know more about other people and their ancestry than the people themself. Itsekiris are closer in terms of cultural affinity to the Yorubas. than the Bennis. That you can state that we do not share the same mother tongue shows your level of ignorance, and that you have never heard an Itsekiri speak. It is the Itsekiri monarchy that has its roots in the Bennin Kingdom, Just like the British monarchy has its root in Germany. But it would be stupid to imply that the british are from Germany.

The Itsekiri language is basically an Ijebu dialect of yoruba with sprinklings of Portuguese and very little Benni. In fact the Itsekiri language is closer to the original yoruba language than the adulterated yoruba created by bishop Ajayi Crowder that is spoken in most urban centres. Most Tsekiri names have Yoruba counterparts with same meanings but slight variations in spellings.

It is not in your place to tell Anioma people where they belong, unless you are anioma itself. Let them choose their identity themslves. I used to have a girlfriend from Ogwashi-Uku and it I want to incure her wrath, I would call her an igbo lady. She would flare up and say she is not igbo. Up till today, I am still confused why some Anioma people refused to be identified with igbos. But I still say, you cannot imposed your identity on others.

itsekiri is closer to owo Yoruba dialect than ijebu, an owo man has the same dressing and speech pattern and history with itsekiri
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 21, 2013
rigormortis:

itsekiri is closer to owo Yoruba dialect than ijebu, an owo man has the same dressing and speech pattern and history with itsekiri

No mind wirinet. The guy doesnt even know what he is talking about. But he is making some small sense sha.
I am Olukumi and Anioma. I do not see myself as Igbo. But that doesnt mean I do not feel some sort of kinship with them.
I will prefer we get our Anioma state. And work towards a sound Anioma identity. Wether some others want to be regarded as Igbos or not is their own personal problem. That shouldnt affect the state creation. The funny thing about this thread is that it was created by a non SS or SE person who has nothing to gain or lose if Anioma state is created. The title epitomises his personal fears.
Why do people like taking medications for other men's infirmities?
I dont just understand.
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by 1shortblackboy: 1:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
who be ibgo and who no be Igbo again ! some people go just dey there house dey determine by themselves who belong to what ethnic group and who does not....... una well done o undecided
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2013
was a happy moment for the Igbo at Owerri yesterday when the governor of
Anambra State, Peter Obi and his predecessor, Dr. Chris Ngige embraced and
chatted with each other explaining his role in the political conflict between them.
But both used the event for reconciliation, with laughter all over.
But from the tumultuous gathering at the Annual Ahiajioku lecture held at Owerri
yesterday came a thunderous verdict unity among the Igbo.
The lecture delivered by the novelist Chinua Achebe who arrived the venue with
his wife, Christie and three children: Ike, Chidi and Nwando, was chaired by the
Asagba of Asaba, Prof. Chike Edozien.
There were also the governor of Imo State, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, and Anambra
governor, Mr. Peter Obi as well as Abia, Delta, Ebonyi, Rivers, Enugu who were
represented.
There were delegations also from the Obong of Calabar and Jaja of Opobo,
several traditional rulers including the Obi of Ogwashi uku, Prof. Chukuka
Okonjo, Ikelionwu of Ndikelionwu, Prof. Chukwumemeka Ike, among others.
However, Achebe in his lecture entitled Igbo, Intellectualism and Development
praised the lecture rebranded by the state government to be the framework for
development and not just for intellectual sake, the series would help redirect the
miseducated Igbo caused by colonialists.
Using samples from his novel, Things fall apart as illustration, Achebe said the
Igbo share a lot of brotherhood and yet have their differences.
Saying the worldwide celebration of the novel is not about him but the story,
which is Igbo story.
But h used the little difference in the name, Ahiajioku and Ifejioku which means
the same thing: celebration of the yam god in Igboland to share the little
differences tat exist in the dialects of the Igbo, saying the Igbo should not allow
the little differences among them cause their disunity.
The Igbo, he told the audience made of ministers, senators, the academia, the
clergy, Achebe blamed the problem in the use and study of Igbo language on a
white missionary who he said could nit grasp the differences that exist in the
Igbo dialect. He did not know the Igbo speak in their various dialects: Igbo na au
na olu na olu, he said. Dialects are a tiny thing that should not divide the Igbo.
Igbo unity is paramount, he maintained.
It is therefore a thing of madness for anyone to call anyone whose dialects
sounds different from the other as non-Igbo, adding that even in the markets,
the people speak in their dialects.
It is therefore sacrilege for anyone to tell a teach that its is wrong to speak in his
mother tongue. Nobody, he said, has the right to stop any child from speaking
his mother tongue.
Achebe also spoke out for women integration in Igboland. He used the exile
chapter of Okonkow in Igboland illustrate this, said that mother is supreme.
Igbo people have developmental ideas and knowledge as can be found in their
creation stories, he pointed out.
However, the Asagba of Asaba, Prof. Edozien saying all Igbo are one, itemised
seven agendas which he said are essential for Igbo unity which he said for two
years, Ohanaeze ndigbo could not achieve.
He harped on the need for creation of two more state for Igbo people out of the
present Delta and Rivers State to give equal states to three regions, under one
region,
He also asked that state governors in the seven state Igbo dominate should
empower Ohanaeze financially and the eze ndigbo proliferation across the
country and beyond should be stopped.
Th e Asagba asked that the Igbo should rater elect one king as Eze Igbo through
the traditional rulers and tat the ruler should rule till death as is the case with
the papacy.
Ohakim in his contribution also spoke on Igbo unity as did Prof. Pat Utomi who
introduced Achebe. Utomi had located the problem with the Igbo in lack of
humility and reverence for vanity.
But Ohaikm asked Ohanaeze not to allow division among it, nor allow internal
contradictions thwart its efforts.
He also blamed Nigerians under development on injustice and ethnicity.
Things, he went on, do go wrong in societies but such are moments to work and
repair and not to apportion blames, saying that Achebe’s message is essentially
all hope is not lost.
http://igboezue.com/node/402

1 Like

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by DerideGull(m): 7:43pm On Nov 21, 2013
ogo2707: We are all entitled to our personal opinions. Those of you that claim ukwuani is igbo thats your opinion, those that say ukwuanis lord themselves & act like the mouthpiece of anioma thats your opinion. I am saying I'm Ukwuani and not igbo thats my opinion. What really matters in the end is that we are all Nigerians living in peace & hoping for our collective progress & for God to deliver us from the wrong set of people as our leaders.

Prepare to declare your true ancestral root because the only deliverance you will get from Nigeria is disintegration. There shall be a Republic of Igbo land which Ukwuani will become integral part of the new republic.
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
wirinet:

That is the problem I have always had with you igbos, you arrogantly claim to know more about other people and their ancestry than the people themself. Itsekiris are closer in terms of cultural affinity to the Yorubas. than the Benis. That you can state that we do not share the same mother tongue shows your level of ignorance, and that you have never heard an Itsekiri speak. It is the Itsekiri monarchy that has its roots in the Benin Kingdom, Just like the British monarchy has its root in Germany. But it would be stupid to imply that the british are from Germany.

The Itsekiri language is basically an Ijebu dialect of yoruba with sprinklings of Portuguese and very little Beni. In fact the Itsekiri language is closer to the original yoruba language than the adulterated yoruba created by bishop Ajayi Crowder that is spoken in most urban centres. Most Tsekiri names have Yoruba counterparts with same meanings but slight variations in spellings.

that's fallacy of hasty generaLizations....my sister married there they see themselves as igbo and my neighbour is from there he is been called Omo igbo by landlord....so what do you gain lying....maybe you hang out with confused fellows

its like arguing that the aworis and okuns ain't yoruba...that's a travesty ....say the truth once....the difference is the same difference between isoko and urhobo or Benin and ishan or croc and alligator.

the war is over....have you Googled delta state website recently to see how local governments there are classified by tribes...pls do. ignorance is a disease... amu oke

1 Like

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by DerideGull(m): 7:53pm On Nov 21, 2013
wirinet: The Igbos need to learn that they cannot define the identity of another person or another tribe. Identity is often a personal attribute which people hold very dear and it defines how we choose to define ourselves. You cannot force a person to be igbo if the person does not see himself as one.

There was nothing like Yoruba identity when Nupe and Fulani made nonsense of Yar.iba and Oyo Empire. The crap about Yoruba identity was a handiwork of revisionists that are plentiful in Southwestern region of Nigeria. I guess the Yar.iba were decendants of Oduduwa too.

1 Like

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by Ogonimilitant(m): 8:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
I am from a minority tribe in Rivers state and am not worried about it. It does not make me claim Ijaw. But I know the Ikweres are Igbos but most of them claim not to be. I keep wondering most Igbo people of Rivers and Delta state are not proud to be called Igbo.

Is it because of oil or could it be that they are scared of dominace by the real igbos or are igbos wicked.
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by kel4soft: 11:42pm On Nov 21, 2013
Ogoni militant: I am from a minority tribe in Rivers state and am not worried about it. It does not make me claim Ijaw. But I know the Ikweres are Igbos but most of them claim not to be. I keep wondering most Igbo people of Rivers and Delta state are not proud to be called Igbo.

Is it because of oil or could it be that they are scared of dominace by the real igbos or are igbos wicked.

With three Local Government and if you include Eleme making it four. How will you say, you are from the minority in Rivers State. Ken helped you guys to dominate the state. All you need now is togetherness to move forward.
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by wirinet(m): 11:45pm On Nov 21, 2013
tonychristopher:

that's fallacy of hasty generaLizations....my sister married there they see themselves as igbo and my neighbour is from there he is been called Omo igbo by landlord....so what do you gain lying....maybe you hang out with confused fellows

its like arguing that the aworis and okuns ain't yoruba...that's a travesty ....say the truth once....the difference is the same difference between isoko and urhobo or Benin and ishan or croc and alligator.

the war is over....have you Googled delta state website recently to see how local governments there are classified by tribes...pls do. ignorance is a disease... amu oke

Your stubboness in claiming the right to determine other peoples identity is blinding you from seeing my points. I said some Aniomas identify themselves as igbos and some don't. I know some Ogwashi -Uku people that are very igbo centric, while some hate to be identified as igbo.

Who are you to insist that the Okuns and Aworis are yoruba, if they don't describe themselves as such. We say the Okuns and Aworis are Yoruba because that is how they see themselves. I have given an example of myself who speak Yoruba and very close cultural affinity to the Yorubas, but I do not describe myself as Yoruba.

I have an isoko neigbour who is Isoko and he says he is not Urhobo, are you going to force Urhobo down his throat?

Benin and Ishan? Are you sure you know what you are talking about? have you ever seen an Ishan man claiming to be Beni before.

It is you guys that have never been outside your ethnic enclave that is causing dishamony and conflict between neigbouring tribes and groups with your ignorance. Let everybody determine their identity. Ok what will you do if the Ukwuanis hold a referendum and majority says they are not igbos, are you going to conquer them and force them to be igbos?

2 Likes

Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by DerideGull(m): 2:26am On Nov 22, 2013
kel4soft:

With three Local Government and if you include Eleme making it four. How will you say, you are from the minority in Rivers State. Ken helped you guys to dominate the state. All you need now is togetherness to move forward.

Point of correction, Eleme is not Ogoni.
Re: Why Anioma State Should Not See The Light Of The Day by tonychristopher: 4:50am On Nov 22, 2013
wirinet:

Your stubboness in claiming the right to determine other peoples identity is blinding you from seeing my points. I said some Aniomas identify themselves as igbos and some don't. I know some Ogwashi -Uku people that are very igbo centric, while some hate to be identified as igbo.

Who are you to insist that the Okuns and Aworis are yoruba, if they don't describe themselves as such. We say the Okuns and Aworis are Yoruba because that is how they see themselves. I have given an example of myself who speak Yoruba and very close cultural affinity to the Yorubas, but I do not describe myself as Yoruba.

I have an isoko neigbour who is Isoko and he says he is not Urhobo, are you going to force Urhobo down his throat?

Benin and Ishan? Are you sure you know what you are talking about? have you ever seen an Ishan man claiming to be Beni before.

It is you guys that have never been outside your ethnic enclave that is causing dishamony and conflict between neigbouring tribes and groups with your ignorance. Let everybody determine their identity. Ok what will you do if the Ukwuanis hold a referendum and majority says they are not igbos, are you going to conquer them and force them to be igbos?

the problem with you is understanding and assimilation,don't make me think that education is wasted on you. is ogwashi ukwu an igbo territory. ogwa ukwu man is ogwa man while nnewi man is nnewi man there is nothing about it but the sameness is they speak igbo and have same culture. I served in Benin and are you trying to twist the fact.that Benin don't understand ishan...they are the same language body but have different dialect. the problem with you is you have refused to different dialect,accent from language. I think doing some basic research is better

have you been to cotonuo before,,do you know that apart from French the local language is yoruba. will you say they ain't yoruba cos they are not in Nigeria. maybe you think hausas is spoken only in Nigeria and you think that igbo is only found in south east. you should think

my dear okuns and aworis and ijebus are yoruba. don't come and argue blindly here. just dialect

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Political Thugs Snatch 230 Permanent Voters Card In Nasarawa / APC Woman "waiting" to Emerges as First "Elected" Female Governor in Nigeria. / Gender Equality Bill Will Be Re-presented – Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.