Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,274 members, 7,839,364 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water (23097 Views)

FG To Fund Budget Through Sukuk Bond / House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash / Obi, Obiano Pelted With Sachet-Water By Onitsha Traders During Market Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Acidosis(m): 1:25pm On Jun 06, 2013
pawesome: 90percent f d comments hia re al poverty stricken comments.fuel subsidy,lots f us cmplaind buh we al gt usd it to so i bliv if dis is initiatd,we wil stil adjust to it..if na bottle water or paper bag water,we al game.gud move ;D90percent f d comments hia re al poverty stricken comments.fuel subsidy,lots f us cmplaind buh we al gt usd it to so i bliv if dis is initiatd,we wil stil adjust to it..if na bottle water or paper bag water,we al game.gud move

Sinple as ABC.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by oloriooko(m): 1:27pm On Jun 06, 2013
can't the sachet water bags be recycled just like the plastic bottles?
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by SlyIg(f): 1:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
moscobabs: how does that convince me to VOTE GEJ in 2015!!!!!
nna, does your vote really count?
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Okijajuju: 1:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
jennykoko: . Do u blame them ? Riches are flowing at their sides so they don't consider the porr masses.

Should we destroy the world because of poor people?

You folks should cut the crap with the poor people this, poor people that.. If you are poor, double up to become rich. Don't try to pull the rich back just because you are poor.

Back to the matter: Polythene and nylon has nothing to do with rich and poor people. It's a general nuisance that many advanced countries have scrapped. Paper bags are now replacing these polythene bags. For a country like Nigeria with poor waste management systems, this is a welcomed move. Sme of the ingredients of these plastics, polythene a and nylons such as Benzene and vynyl chloride can even cause cancer. Studies show that it takes between 50 - 200 years for polythene to decompose and 500 - 1000 years for plastic and styrofoam to decompose.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Youngzedd(m): 1:32pm On Jun 06, 2013
Chuksevans: If dat cam make onitsha clean, let them carry on!!!

+10000000000000000
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
Castos: After investing my money on sachet water, Gej has the mouth to say THIS!
Na GEJ talk am? na wa oo
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 06, 2013
Castos: After investing my money on sachet water, Gej has the mouth to say THIS!
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Youngzedd(m): 1:37pm On Jun 06, 2013
To me I will comment the quoted "Good move by the FG"

Don't criticize me pls.......
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by oshimilet: 1:37pm On Jun 06, 2013
Na which ban be that,do everybody have cash enough to buy table table water always
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 06, 2013
Please go and sanction oil companies and resolve the issues of environmental degradation in the Niger Delta first. People have lost their sources of livelihood and are dying of pollution and other diseases and you are here talking 'lylon' bag and pure water. SHAME
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Originalsly: 1:42pm On Jun 06, 2013
Is it banning water?...or the bags? I agree with the ban if there is a solution. Her solution is paper bags but I can't agree with that until she shows us how that is possible.For now the solution is in education on recycling and providing bins for disposing plastics only.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 1:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
It not only makes environmental sense to be less dependent on plastic products but also there are both short and long term health and economic gains.

In 500 years time from now, future archaeological findings over most populated ruined cities in what was then known as Nigeria, will fondly rename Nigeria as Plasticia!

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by alpamo6: 1:46pm On Jun 06, 2013
lekanolas:

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/environmental-degradation-fg-to-ban-plastic-bags-satchet-water/

Clueless minister, no need for alarm, he will out date his appointment before the implementation. Policies without good alternative.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by aglomar: 1:51pm On Jun 06, 2013
This presents a great opportunity to recycle them. Why ban them when millions of otherwise jobless people depend on them.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by birdman(m): 1:51pm On Jun 06, 2013
Can anyone name one country that has successfully banned plastic bags? I'm waiting...
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by cjrane: 1:52pm On Jun 06, 2013
Those plastic bags and sachets scattered all over our highways and cities always make Nigeria appear like a refuse dump.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 1:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
aysometin: Please go and sanction oil companies and resolve the issues of environmental degradation in the Niger Delta first. People have lost their sources of livelihood and are dying of pollution and other diseases and you are here talking 'lylon' bag and pure water. SHAME

See your National Flower Garden below.

Do you know the volume of plastic waste that is being dumped into the adjacent ocean? Can you recall the incident of the whale beaching on the Lagos Bar Beach? Do you know that whale probably was poisoned from all the plastic debri floating off the coast of Nigeria?

Do you also know that without an efficient waste disposal and recycling system in place that a small percentage of total waste to which synthetic products account for the bulk are either just burnt, swept by flood water or end up in large fills?

Rather than out right ban of a product (which the security officials will not be able to fully enforce) I would have expected the government to put hefty fines and penalties to discourage manufacturers and retailers who are not able to ensure a recycling of their product waste.

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Okijajuju: 1:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
Europehas banned it

Most U.S cities have banned it.

Delhi Has banned it

Canada has banned it.

Even China has banned it..

Na we get poor people pass abi wetin?
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 2:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
Okija juju: Europehas banned it

Delhi Has banned it

Canada has banned it.

Even liquid milk is wrapped and sold in plastic packaging. There is no way that can be healthy.
The over retailing brought about by poverty is what led to manufacturers and marketers using cheap plastic wrapping to preserve their products.
You can even see toothpaste for as low as 20 bucks for sale.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by LausDeo(m): 2:04pm On Jun 06, 2013
To all those in support of d move,cn u pls offer alternatives. All diz advanced countries u r talkn abt av adequate supply of potable water. I am nt poor but i cnt afford #50 bottled water of whc i may consume up to 5 in a day....i will only commend d move if d govt will provide potable water to every nook and cranny of d country

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by cybersaurus(m): 2:07pm On Jun 06, 2013

Delhi Has banned it

Canada has banned it.

thanks
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by cybersaurus(m): 2:11pm On Jun 06, 2013
LausDeo: To all those in support of d move,cn u pls offer alternatives. All diz advanced countries u r talkn abt av adequate supply of potable water. I am nt poor but i cnt afford #50 bottled water of whc i may consume up to 5 in a day....i will only commend d move if d govt will provide potable water to every nook and cranny of d country
you made a good point but with the kind of environment we have in naija this is long overdue. Some sacrifices have to be made to save our country from the harsh reality.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 2:12pm On Jun 06, 2013
LausDeo: To all those in support of d move,cn u pls offer alternatives. All diz advanced countries u r talkn abt av adequate supply of potable water. I am nt poor but i cnt afford #50 bottled water of whc i may consume up to 5 in a day....i will only commend d move if d govt will provide potable water to every nook and cranny of d country

How can you say you are not poor but can't afford to buy bottled water at N50?
In Abuja where I am, I can't even remember buying a small bottled water for at least N100. El Rufai banned the sale of sachet water when he was in office and since then you can only get bottled water in the city centers.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by cybersaurus(m): 2:14pm On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

Even liquid milk is wrapped and sold in plastic packaging. There is no way that can be healthy.
The over retailing brought about by poverty is what led to manufacturers and marketers using cheap plastic wrapping to preserve their products.
You can even see toothpaste for as low as 20 bucks for sale.

the littered and polluted naija environment is more unhealthy
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by ochallo: 2:14pm On Jun 06, 2013

Delhi Has banned it

Canada has banned it.

I just bought beans in delhi now in INA Market, the beans was packed in plastic bags, then i was given a white nylon bag to carry it. Yet it has been ban. Remove delhi from that list, it is not working in delhi,even their milk amul is in plastic packaging. when i went to a shop and i wasn't given a bag to pack my things, i stopped going there.

There is also a lot of harm associated with plastic bottled water, so it's all the same thing.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 06, 2013
Sometimes, when I read people's comment, I get so angry. Why will any right thinking human support this trash?

Why will she said something like that? She s very stup1d. Do you know the advantages of nylon over paper?
It reduces deforestation, which is global environmental problem.
Nylon doesn't decay, can be easily recycled.

Someone should go tell this silly minister to go back to school. For Christ sake, wood, cotton, (non renewable resources) is use in making papers, you can get nylon from ethylene, benzene most are still waste from petrochemical, at least they are cheaper.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Metallurgist: 2:22pm On Jun 06, 2013
lafile: All they ever think about is ban. Ban this, ban that. Ban okada, ban importation of rice etc. It never occurs to them that the things they are banning came into existence to meet a need. And as long as the need remains, these things will not go away even if you ban them. Think of creating alternatives and make the things you want to ban undesirable and they will just go away. Naija Govt people just think. Oops! Thinking is beyond their capabilities. Lets just Ban.
thank u sir, i pity nigerian masses, just b/cos this govt official hav travel abroad and sees its beauty, they will come back and start citing and implementing unreallistic and irrational decrees, ban plastic bag with no subtitute, see monkey brain, ban rice importation will most farmers ar subsidiary farmers see madness, half bread is better than no bread that what a poor man says. But to this heartless leaders no bread for the poor man thats the ideal bread. God go punish u
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 06, 2013

Delhi Has banned it

Canada has banned it.

Bullshit!
Nigeria don't even have a perfectly working paper industry. This country is doomed.
All they need to do is educate people on how to dispose waste, she is talking nonsense.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by everyday: 2:31pm On Jun 06, 2013
Is that all part of anti terrorism?
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Jarus(m): 2:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
Na wa o. Just as I am about floating Jarus Pure Water. Finished the underground work already. shocked

Anyway, better this is not coming after investment has sunk into it.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by andyanders: 2:37pm On Jun 06, 2013
It is better done because of the filth they constitute.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Agbaje's Entry Jolts Lagos PDP Aspirants, Begin Guber bid / Dibbo, Hajo Sani's Son Deletes Photos Of His Car Collection / Akwa Ibom Now An APC State – Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.