Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,191 members, 7,839,045 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water (23096 Views)

FG To Fund Budget Through Sukuk Bond / House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash / Obi, Obiano Pelted With Sachet-Water By Onitsha Traders During Market Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 5:43pm On Jun 06, 2013
Look around you wherever you are and you will see how hydrocarbon materials are used for virtually everything from LCD screens, keyboard, your phones, electronic gadgets, paints, etc. Wasting huge volumes of such finite products to package unsanitary water for sale is re.tarded even more so because you don't even bother to either dispose of the wasted nylons or recycle it.
Look also into your bin and you will be amazed how much synthetic materials consist of your waste.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Raxz(m): 5:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
This will be a welcome development, bt gvnt. Should in collaboration with pure water making company making provisions for cheaper battle water before the implementation nest year
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by decepticos(m): 5:48pm On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

Then get a shopping bag made of traditional materials like rafia whenever you go shopping.

Your ancestors never new nylon.
nice idea, i like it its cultural, but whats d capacity of a regular rafia bag, or would u also suggest that i get a tray place my food stuff in them and carry it on my head to my house, oh oh oh i saw this woman who wrapped her stuff with a '6 yard ankara' or better still i'll get a trolley, but u know what knowing where i live and i'm from it wont just work. You know what when you go to computer village ikj to get some phone do yourself a favour and please accept not the plastic bags they give you use a rafia bag it'll go a long way.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by sixteen08(m): 5:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
Jarus: Na wa o. Just as I am about floating Jarus Pure Water. Finished the underground work already. shocked

Anyway, better this is not coming after investment has sunk into it.
You might have to consider table water
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by decepticos(m): 5:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
pawesome: 90percent f d comments hia re al poverty stricken comments.fuel subsidy,lots f us cmplaind buh we al gt usd it to so i bliv if dis is initiatd,we wil stil adjust to it..if na bottle water or paper bag water,we al game.gud move ;D90percent f d comments hia re al poverty stricken comments.fuel subsidy,lots f us cmplaind buh we al gt usd it to so i bliv if dis is initiatd,we wil stil adjust to it..if na bottle water or paper bag water,we al game.gud move
do u seriously accept whatever you are told without question, its quite disturbing, i get ur climate change, ghg, hclfc, and radition angle. Here is a question for the climate change pundits do we exist for the plant or the planet for us?
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 6:06pm On Jun 06, 2013
decepticos:
nice idea, i like it its cultural, but whats d capacity of a regular rafia bag, or would u also suggest that i get a tray place my food stuff in them and carry it on my head to my house, oh oh oh i saw this woman who wrapped her stuff with a '6 yard ankara' or better still i'll get a trolley, but u know what knowing where i live and i'm from it wont just work. You know what when you go to computer village ikj to get some phone do yourself a favour and please accept not the plastic bags they give you use a rafia bag it'll go a long way.

I have earlier said on this thread that the best way to go is not an outright ban since it will be difficult to enforce but heavy penalties and tax to companies that rely so much on plastic packaging. State govts and LGAs should be in the fight too inorder to put in place a well organised waste management and recycling system.
The plastic waste can even be exported to China as industrial waste destined for both power and recycling plants.
Sweden currently imports waste from England for power generation.
This is were the gains can be gotten and were we all need to put out our heads and provide a solution to better our lives ( no human being should drink satchet "pure" water )

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Xxpress(m): 6:07pm On Jun 06, 2013
dis one na serious issue, when my uncle just opened a satchet water factory.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 6:14pm On Jun 06, 2013
Xxpress: dis one na serious issue, when my uncle just opened a satchet water factory.

Your uncle can still have his water business he just needs to find another way of packaging it.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by decepticos(m): 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

I have earlier said on this thread that the best way to go is not an outright ban since it will be difficult to enforce but heavy penalties and tax to companies that rely so much on plastic packaging. State govts and LGAs should be in the fight too inorder to put in place a well organised waste management and recycling system.
The plastic waste can even be exported to China as industrial waste destined for both power and recycling plants.
Sweden currently imports waste from England for power generation.
This is were the gains can be gotten and were we all need to put out our heads and provide a solution to better our lives ( no human being should drink satchet "pure" water )
you just spoke my brother, sorry a BUT still dey and it's who will enforce this tax payment, and for how long. I have a feeling that these days that when one writes a feasibility report he gives room in his budget for bribery so he isnt disturbed, now dis BUT is going to be a big problem, that and 'the diminishing returns of a law'
which is most times in nigeria once a law is passed it is usually hot and well enforced then it gets to a peak point after which it falls to a point were said ban is no longer feasible. i may be wrong though.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by mesther96(f): 6:25pm On Jun 06, 2013
nice move,i pray it works.GEJ 2015..haters go hug transformer!!!
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by PvtParts1: 6:27pm On Jun 06, 2013
decepticos:
you just spoke my brother, sorry a BUT still dey and it's who will enforce this tax payment, and for how long. I have a feeling that these days that when one writes a feasibility report he gives room in his budget for bribery so he isnt disturbed, now dis BUT is going to be a big problem, that and 'the diminishing returns of a law'
which is most times in nigeria once a law is passed it is usually hot and well enforced then it gets to a peak point after which it falls to a point were said ban is no longer feasible. i may be wrong though.

I went on a trip to an EU country sometime last year and I was shocked about the high smoking rate of the average European even at that smoking is banned in all indoor public venues. The Europeans obey the laws because they believe in the virtues of the law. It is after all their law.
Nigerians don't even believe in obeying simple traffic laws which are meant to protect them and others. The laws have to be introduced to Nigerians gradually and they brought along on why the law will benefit society at large (that is what democracies do). I believe the reason for the general lawlessness in our land is because of the antecedent military and civilian dictatorship coupled with very bad parenting. Discipline is usually flogged into a child for them to see reason.

We need to go back to the drawing board and begin training our kids right!
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Lanceslot(m): 6:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
Talking is one thing and implementing is another... No be naija we dey?

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by decepticos(m): 6:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

I went on a trip to an EU country sometime last year and I was shocked about the high smoking rate of the average European even at that smoking is banned in all indoor public venues. The Europeans obey the laws because they believe in the virtues of the law. It is after all their law.
Nigerians don't even believe in obeying simple traffic laws which are meant to protect them and others. The laws have to be introduced to Nigerians gradually and they brought along on why the law will benefit society at large (that is what democracies do). I believe the reason for the general lawlessness in our land is because of the antecedent military and civilian dictatorship coupled with very bad parenting. Discipline is usually flogged into a child for them to see reason.

We need to go back to the drawing board and begin training our kids right!
I think we just have to throw the drawing board away because we need a 'bottom-up' approach to things not the 'top-down' stuff we are used to too bad people elected to re us who are for now at the bottom dont communicate with us, someone would say we start from the grassroot i'd say we start from ourselves, the lawmakers and rep just have to let us know the reasons fir these laws and i am nit talking of the 20% who use the internet for a good purpose, but the people who would here of this ban and not understand the 'WHY' alot more than just campaigning and partying should be reasons for our politians and academics or even philantrophists. Wetin i knw mine for now is to stay neutral.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Capnd143(m): 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
Why do i suddenly feel like most nairaland commenters are not "environmental degradation litrates" or perhaps the are "blockheads". Must you guys critisize any government policy to satisfy ur insatiable quest for foolishness? Someone is busy saying the are other problems to tackle and the FG is banning nylon? Is the minister responsible for the environment suppose to issue ban on curruption abi witchraftcy? The guy is just doing his work and one nairalander is there at his home spewing shit, as if it will make the guys at ABUJA change their minds? Btw those nylon are heavily responsible for air poisoning in form of constituents of amino formaldyhide and lead related properties, i dought you guys knw that even the so call pure water causes a very dangerous form of CANCER
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by decepticos(m): 7:10pm On Jun 06, 2013
now u guys gon make this guy mad^^
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by mrvictor: 7:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
That's completely stupid! Are the polythene bags worse than fumes from power generators? are they more environment damaging and non ecofriendly than millions of generator than run from morning till night in nigeria? is it worse than deforestation due to urbanisation and other human activities? He should be talking about fixing power supply in nigeria. He shouid be talking about aforestation & reforestation. He should be talking about the niger delta areas where oil spillage has messed up human existence. He should be thinking of a system where those used plastic bags are recycled and reused creating more jobs and revenue. The guy is simply clueless. Anyway, What do you expect from a society where sensitive positions are used as compensatation to political loyalists?

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by decepticos(m): 8:00pm On Jun 06, 2013
mrvictor: That's completely stupid! Are the polythene bags worse than fumes from power generators? are they more environment damaging and non ecofriendly than millions of generator than run from morning till night in nigeria? is it worse than deforestation due to urbanisation and other human activities? He should be talking about fixing power supply in nigeria. He shouid be talking about aforestation & reforestation. He should be talking about the niger delta areas where oil spillage has messed up human existence. He should be thinking of a system where those used plastic bags are recycled and reused creating more jobs and revenue. The guy is simply clueless. Anyway, What do you expect from a society where sensitive positions are used as compensatation to political loyalists?
loving this but u know presi gast start from somewhere na, at all at all na him bad.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by ngoobest2080(f): 8:35pm On Jun 06, 2013
my sis help me ask ooo,dem dey drink botte water make dem leave d pure gulter 4 us.
gbanikiti: So we no go get lylon and pure water again? for wetin nau?
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Lollycutie(f): 8:58pm On Jun 06, 2013
Sibrah: One thing is so clear, there is no proper disposal and recycling of waste in Nigeria. A good ridance to bad rubbish when it will be finally banned.
.U are reasonin with ur anus.pple lik u shud join animals in d zoo.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 06, 2013
This policy is business oportunity for people.People should learn to prepare safe water at home using water guard. Water can be stored in small gallons and keep in fridge.
Olayinkaoj: That should be after the government must have provided water to all nook and crannies of Nigeria
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by ClementAdo(m): 9:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
we hav unemplyed youth,y can't d fed.govt,employ them 4pickig up d polytns? one day we will ban democracy in niaja!
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Enedane(f): 9:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
lafile: All they ever think about is ban. Ban this, ban that. Ban okada, ban importation of rice etc. It never occurs to them that the things they are banning came into existence to meet a need. And as long as the need remains, these things will not go away even if you ban them. Think of creating alternatives and make the things you want to ban undesirable and they will just go away. Naija Govt people just think. Oops! Thinking is beyond their capabilities. Lets just Ban.

you are right! dunno wats wrng with this FG guys,they tk pleasure in banning everything. For instance the masses living at outskirts of abuja and some places within abj are suffering due to the ban of 'araba buses' in the city, nw t-fare is twice usual price n its difficult to get to ones destination on time, the drivers of those buses hv been rendered jobless. Dunno if they actually think abt the effects b4 they act.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by daryoor(m): 10:11pm On Jun 06, 2013
Some people are in the senate and dont know what responsibility has been bestowed on them, i guess we should start system of government where our senator will be average salary earner who really understand nigeria,
Hello, im i speaking for myself or you guys too drink garri with pure water.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by daryoor(m): 10:11pm On Jun 06, 2013
Some people are in the senate and dont know what responsibility has been bestowed on them, i guess we should start system of government where our senator will be average salary earner who really understand nigeria,
Hello, im i speaking for myself or you guys too take garri with pure water.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 06, 2013
Does'nt the minister know that the nylon/plastic bags can be recycled and put back to use. Think of the employment recycling plants all over the country will create. Again, think of several thousands who were in the plastic making, pure water business who would lose their their jobs as a result of the new ban pilicy or have they thought of the poor masses who depend on satchet water to quench thirst or those who hawk water to survive. Nigerians don't need this policy, but they will welcome recycling plants which will also provide job openings for the idle population.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by milkymesh: 11:09pm On Jun 06, 2013
martin1772: Imagine pouring water inside paper bag, hw is dat posible?
may I ask pls. Is 5 Alive, chivita, chi exotic , dansa juice in a plastic , polythene, or paper container
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:
Look around you wherever you are and you will see how hydrocarbon materials are used for virtually everything from LCD screens, keyboard, your phones, electronic gadgets, paints, etc. Wasting huge volumes of such finite products to package unsanitary water for sale is re.tarded even more so because you don't even bother to either dispose of the wasted nylons or recycle it.
Look also into your bin and you will be amazed how much synthetic materials consist of your waste.

I hate this country, not just because of the reta#d government, but her ill-thinking citizens.

Oh! Hydrocarbon is finite, but wood, cotton, silk use in making papers are infinite, abi? Go to Enugu, you will find abandon coals, that you wont exhaust in 10 million years. This coal can be raw materials for ethylene, which can be converted to polyethylene.

Besides, are you saying it is more economically friendly to use more woods in making papers, compare to ethylene (hydrocarbon) in making nylon? This is deforestation you're encouraging.

Half knowledge is dangerous. More so, this fu#k country don't have a perfectly working paper mill industry. This minister should be slap, and re-slap.
Arrant nonsense
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 06, 2013
mrvictor: That's completely stupid! Are the polythene bags worse than fumes from power generators? are they more environment damaging and non ecofriendly than millions of generator than run from morning till night in nigeria? is it worse than deforestation due to urbanisation and other human activities? He should be talking about fixing power supply in nigeria. He shouid be talking about aforestation & reforestation. He should be talking about the niger delta areas where oil spillage has messed up human existence. He should be thinking of a system where those used plastic bags are recycled and reused creating more jobs and revenue. The guy is simply clueless. Anyway, What do you expect from a society where sensitive positions are used as compensatation to political loyalists?

My good God will bless you and your generations.

What is wrong with this government people?
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2013
Capnd143: Why do i suddenly feel like most nairaland commenters are not "environmental degradation litrates" or perhaps the are "blockheads". Must you guys critisize any government policy to satisfy ur insatiable quest for foolishness? Someone is busy saying the are other problems to tackle and the FG is banning nylon? Is the minister responsible for the environment suppose to issue ban on curruption abi witchraftcy? The guy is just doing his work and one nairalander is there at his home spewing shit, as if it will make the guys at ABUJA change their minds? Btw those nylon are heavily responsible for air poisoning in form of constituents of amino formaldyhide and lead related properties, i dought you guys knw that even the so call pure water causes a very dangerous form of CANCER

I don hear this one. Nairaland help me clap for this man, he is a registered fo0l.

Air poisoning for something that is not biodegradable, something that can't decompose. Clap for yourself!
Did you say when you burn? It's just combustion, oxides of carbons, just like every other thing you burn- kerosene, petrol, paper...
Lead? Heavy metals in polymer? Where did you study? Go get refunds

First, nylon is a type of bond;1,6 glycosidic bond.
Ethylene is singular for an illiterate like you.
Polyethylene is plenty of ethylene.
The ethylene is joined by a process called polymerization, smaller monomers (ethylene) to huge polymers (polyethylene). Although, some additives are added, like colorant, fillers ( calcium carbonate), sizing agent (starch) depending on the end use.

Formaldehyde can't find it way into polymerization process.
Lastly, the cancer part might occur from the methods of treatment, not from nylon because water will only dissolve a very small percentage of the nylon at some given conditions; temperature, dark room for growth of enzymes,...

Go study chemistry dude!
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by ifihear(m): 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2013
Whatever happened to RECYCLING
SMH 4 dis gofanment sef.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by mindtricks: 11:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
"Good" intentions, wrong moves.
Re: FG To Ban Plastic Bags, Sachet Water by Lusola15: 11:58pm On Jun 06, 2013
lekanolas:

According
to her, the move to ban the plastic bags are necessitated by the numerous health and environmental hazards associated with their use./

Shell and other are doing far worse to d environment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Order For 53 Gold Iphones To Celebrate Independence / God will turn around things for Nigeria – Kemi Adeosun / Ambode Visits Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Enugu State Governor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.