Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! (34824 Views)

Brazil Vs Spain - Confederations Cup Final (3 - 0) On 30th June 2013 / Nigeria Vs Uruguay - Confederations Cup: (1 - 2) On 20th June 2013 / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 2:56am On Jun 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

Ghana would do better against non-African teams, since it is a better team overall than Nigeria. The Little Eagles are a one-hit wonder.

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 2:58am On Jun 08, 2013
daz_york:

Ghana could also be described as a "one hit wonder" because since the last world cup, the team hasn't really dazzled.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 3:14am On Jun 08, 2013
The Ages of these Players don't match the Faces......

First Dude looks to be clearly in his late 30s
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 3:18am On Jun 08, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII: The Ages of these Players don't match the Faces......

First Dude looks to be clearly in his late 30s

Where are the pics?
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by hustleranthem(m): 3:20am On Jun 08, 2013
bisikeys: This squad lacks dept. I see a lot of people the coach is trying to sell. Who is Muhammad Gambo and what has he done to be in the team? Who is Solomon Kwambe?? In midfield, i only see two players of class, Ogenyi Onazi and Mikel Obi.. Before you start mentioning Mba, in all of Nigeria's games that he has played , what is his overall performance. He's always anonymous for most of the game. His role is so undefined. You dont see him tackle, you dont see him pass, he just shows that occasional flash of brilliance. Check out our games in the Nations cup, Before and after the goals, what was his impact? What role was he playing? Defensive midfield, or attacking midfield? I believe this is not the best team Nigeria can offer at this stage. this is just the team of a coach trying to prove a point(that am in charge).
omo calm down..na so una talk before nations cup start,at the end wetin happen? na d same unknown Sunday mba na score d winning goa..so this same muhammad gambo u neva soji he game once..so calm down till d confedrations cup start.una go fear wetin go happen sha bcoz Spain must fall that day..#markmywords

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by ScorchedViper(m): 4:02am On Jun 08, 2013
i'm not expecting any sort of miracles.....I do like the fact that the boys will at least get some exposure to real soccer before the world cup next year....
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 4:15am On Jun 08, 2013
CFCfan:

Where are the pics?

Google

I searched every name

Cats look way older then their listed Age

That Nigerian Tap Water........That Drink must be Sinister
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 4:16am On Jun 08, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII:

Google

I searched every name

Cats look way older then their listed Age

That Nigerian Tap Water........That Drink must be Sinister
grin grin grin

It's the tropical weather.
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 4:17am On Jun 08, 2013
CFCfan:
grin grin grin

It's the tropical weather.

Man.......

Them Brothas Look Old

I wish Naija all the Best Though
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 4:18am On Jun 08, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII:

Man.......

Them Brothas Look Old

I wish Naija all the Best Though

I wish them the best too.
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by peleson: 5:10am On Jun 08, 2013
Opey4luv: The defence of this team is so poor, none of the players has the experience at the highest level to carry the team along.
The mid-field is kind of kinky, with Mikels experience and Mba's power, they can do wonders but am warning you, they will be chassing the ball around against Spain coz good mid-fielders are different from world class ones.
The attack is kind of bullshit, no Emenike. Keshi should have called back Osaze, this is a matter of National Football, personal grudges should be left out completely.

Conclusion: This team is great but can not withstand the passing of Spain nor the ruthlessness of Uruguay so I do not see Nigeria making it out of that group.
I understand ur concern but how do the defenders become world class if they do not play in world class competitions? Idaye I v noticed since siasia time as a waster even emenike but emenike has proved me wrong perhaps idaye has a potential that coaches expect to manifest which is also good. Players like idaye, once they get their rhythm is always very dangerous because they v made all the mistakes needed to make in quantum . Don't forget we played the catalonas b4 nations cup at their home so spain is no much of a difference.
Mental toughness of eagles is not to be taken aside. These guys are MILITARY.. Much love for my SE

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 08, 2013
There is really no excuse for West African countries not producing more world class defenders

Defending is all about Athleticism, Anticipation & Hustle.

All Traits that are naturally given to West Africans in a blessed abundance by Nature & "God"{Fast Twitch Muscle Fibers,Explosiveness Ect.}

These Nations should be producing far more great defensive players Imo

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by supaeagles(m): 5:24am On Jun 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:
Ghana would do better against non-African teams , since it is a better team overall than Nigeria. The Little Eagles are a one-hit wonder.
i may have to visit your ghana village to understand this your logic oh

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by peleson: 5:30am On Jun 08, 2013
abiodunbest: the super eagle team may have enough quality to stand toe to toe against their opposition as you truely said but not onto their boss (Uruguay and Spain).
Spain plays their game in the midfield n mikel has a way of sucking up pressures and some killer passes, u can't see MBA coming as he embarrass anything worldclass with winning goal upset . Uruguay plays with agile n rugged attackers but will be frustrated with cutoff from the midfield by mikel n antony ujah n mba will punish them with goals.
Nigeria good to carry the cup. Ref should be warned against being partial.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 5:48am On Jun 08, 2013
supaeagles:
i may have to visit your ghana village to understand this your logic oh

That scenario isn't unique to Ghana. Recall that in 2011, the Super Eagles defeated Argentina 4-1 in a friendly game, but a week later, struggled to earn a 2-2 draw against Ethiopia in a 2012 AFCON qualifier.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Soso990240(m): 5:59am On Jun 08, 2013
damosky12:
English could be a problem to Naija's sometimes (no offence). Wetin be Uruguay and Spain if them no be opposition too?
u've just typed somethng that gat no meaning.ar u ok?
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by oluwaoghene: 6:03am On Jun 08, 2013
Out-of-favour Spain striker Fernando Torres has been named in his country's provisional Confederations Cup squad.

The Chelsea striker, 29, who won the Europa League with the London club this season, had failed to make Spain coach Vicente del Bosque's recent squads.

Eight other English-based players have been selected, with the 26-strong party being reduced to 23 before the start of the tournament in Brazil on 15 June.

Barcelona's Carles Puyol and Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo miss out.

Real Madrid goalkeeper and Spain captain Iker Casillas also returns, having broken a finger in January, while midfielder Javi Martinez's superb form for Bayern Munich - who won the Bundesliga title and Champions League - earns him a comeback.

"When Torres and Martinez didn't come in before, it was because we didn't think the moment was right. Now it is the opposite - they are both in good form," said Del Bosque.

He added: "It's almost impossible to have every player who merited a place. (Cesc) Fabregas, (David) Villa, Torres and Soldado are our four strikers. You could just as easily ask why we didn't include (Imanol) Agirretxe, Iago Aspas, Michu.

"We can't bring in everybody. We've deemed it fit to call up Soldado because he's had a great season.

"We've called up those players who are going to help us have the best tournament."
The world and European champions have two friendlies in the United States - against Haiti in Miami on 8 June and Ireland in New York three days later - before heading to Brazil.

Spain's first game in the Confederations Cup is in Recife on 16 June against 2011 Copa America winners Uruguay, with Tahiti and Nigeria also in Group B.

The eight-nation warm-up event for next year's World Cup runs until 30 June.

Goalkeepers:Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders:Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Benat Etxebarria (Real Betis), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Javi Garcia (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Pedro (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City) Xavi (Barcelona).

Forwards: Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Roberto Soldado (Valencia), David Villa (Barcelona).

http://futbolgist.com/2013/06/08/confederations-cup-2013-spanish-squad/

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Soso990240(m): 6:14am On Jun 08, 2013
cman77: The nigerian squad is nt ok o!dis is confed cup wher d likes of spain,brazil will feature nd nt nations cup.don't forget dat d standard of african futball is still low compared european futball.4 me ideye shud nt b on dat list.he is below average.we nid above average players.he hasn't impressed 4rm d nations cup till nw.he wastes chances a lot.we don't nid such.d defence is d best we have nw but yobo shud have bin der cos of xprience.don't forget at d nations cup nigeria nomally concede late goals but wen keshi started bringin yobo in towards d end of each game we stoppd concedin late goals.d defence can't hold on to pressure 4 long.
what ar u sayin? D late goal we conceded against bokinafaso who caused it? And dnt say ideye is nt suppose 2 be ther,the guy assists like a world class player(dnt 4get our 1st 2013 nations cup goal,he did it).am seein what keshi saw in dat boy dat he cant let go.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 6:14am On Jun 08, 2013
Nigeria's first match is on Monday, June 17th at 8pm Nigerian time.
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Soso990240(m): 6:16am On Jun 08, 2013
Dammiesugar: Hw abt dis kid ezekiel imoh or somtin lyk dat?4 cryin out loud,whr is ekigho ehiosun sef,stephen sunday,sone aluko,lukman haruna,apam,mannaseh ishiaku,adeleye,rabiu afolabi?r dey dead?
who you feel say dm go fit bench 4 d current squard?
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Jarus(m): 6:18am On Jun 08, 2013
The 2 most critical missing players are Moses and Emenike.

I also think IK Uche would have been an option forward. His skills can be useful in breaking tough defences.

I also fear for that defence. I'm fine with the regular 4: Echiejile, Oboabona, Omeruo and Ambrose. But the problem is the other guys are unproven at such big level and what happens if any of those 4 picks an injury? Juwon Oshaniwa should have been considered. Or even Yobo.
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Soso990240(m): 6:19am On Jun 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

Ghana would do better against non-African teams, since it is a better team overall than Nigeria. The Little Eagles are a one-hit wonder.
and you allowd Mali to trash ur little Asss in d Afcon?

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 08, 2013
Jarus: The 2 most critical missing players are Moses and Emenike.

I also think IK Uche would have been an option forward. His skills can be useful in breaking tough defences.

I also fear for that defence. I'm fine with the regular 4: Echiejile, Oboabona, Omeruo and Ambrose. But the problem is the other guys are unproven at such big level and what happens if any of those 4 picks an injury? Juwon Oshaniwa should have been considered. Or even Yobo.

Absolutely spot on. Yobo would have been an experienced substitute.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Jarus(m): 6:24am On Jun 08, 2013
Soso990240: what ar u sayin? D late goal we conceded against bokinafaso who caused it? And dnt say ideye is nt suppose 2 be ther,the guy assists like a world class player(dnt 4get our 1st 2013 nations cup goal,he did it).am seein what keshi saw in dat boy dat he cant let go.

I agree we are underrating Ideye. He has high work rate and good with assists. He partnered well with Emenike in ANC, a la Amokachi behind Yekini. Even if he has not been scoring goals for Eagles.

It is not for nothing that he has been scoring more than 15 goals every season, from Swiss League to French League to Ukrainian League. He finished last season as 2nd highest goal scorer in Ukriane with circa 19 goals , despite being absent for Nations cup duty.

To me he is still the guy I have most confidence with upfront after Emenike.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Loadedtech: 6:26am On Jun 08, 2013
CFCfan:

I tell you. Spain, Tahiti and Uruguay go hear am cheesy
hear what??! Have you seen the Spanish Squads Casillas,Arbeloa,Pique,Ramos,Alonso,Xavi,Pedro,Villa,Iniesta,Fabregas,Soldado u'r here talking twash!
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 08, 2013
Loadedtech:
hear what??! Have you seen the Spanish Squads Casillas,Arbeloa,Pique,Ramos,Alonso,Xavi,Pedro,Villa,Iniesta,Fabregas,Soldado u'r here talking twash!

Relax, I was partially joking. But I believe the Eagles will perform creditably in the competition.
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Jarus(m): 6:30am On Jun 08, 2013
oluwaoghene:
Out-of-favour Spain striker Fernando Torres has been named in his country's provisional Confederations Cup squad.

The Chelsea striker, 29, who won the Europa League with the London club this season, had failed to make Spain coach Vicente del Bosque's recent squads.

Eight other English-based players have been selected, with the 26-strong party being reduced to 23 before the start of the tournament in Brazil on 15 June.

Barcelona's Carles Puyol and Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo miss out.

Real Madrid goalkeeper and Spain captain Iker Casillas also returns, having broken a finger in January, while midfielder Javi Martinez's superb form for Bayern Munich - who won the Bundesliga title and Champions League - earns him a comeback.

"When Torres and Martinez didn't come in before, it was because we didn't think the moment was right. Now it is the opposite - they are both in good form," said Del Bosque.

He added: "It's almost impossible to have every player who merited a place. (Cesc) Fabregas, (David) Villa, Torres and Soldado are our four strikers. You could just as easily ask why we didn't include (Imanol) Agirretxe, Iago Aspas, Michu.

"We can't bring in everybody. We've deemed it fit to call up Soldado because he's had a great season.

"We've called up those players who are going to help us have the best tournament."
The world and European champions have two friendlies in the United States - against Haiti in Miami on 8 June and Ireland in New York three days later - before heading to Brazil.

Spain's first game in the Confederations Cup is in Recife on 16 June against 2011 Copa America winners Uruguay, with Tahiti and Nigeria also in Group B.

The eight-nation warm-up event for next year's World Cup runs until 30 June.

Goalkeepers:Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders:Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Benat Etxebarria (Real Betis), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Javi Garcia (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Pedro (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City) Xavi (Barcelona).

Forwards: Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Roberto Soldado (Valencia), David Villa (Barcelona).

http://futbolgist.com/2013/06/08/confederations-cup-2013-spanish-squad/

Na wa o. Spain and their midfielders. See number of midfielders.

Anyway, I'm not afraid. They are not different from the Catalunya this team drew with last year. Most of their guys played for Catalunya
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by zuchyblink(m): 6:33am On Jun 08, 2013
is not the matter of inviting europe based players,playing in europe does not make u a better player ahead of others is just an opportunity.keshi invited players that are ready to die for the country,that are ready to prove and compete with world class players that was the secret of our nations cup success.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 08, 2013
Jarus:

Na wa o. Spain and their midfielders. See number of midfielders.

Anyway, I'm not afraid. They are not different from the Catalunya this team drew with last year. Most of their guys played for Catalunya

Spain's midfield is out of this planet. However, Del Bosque may decide to use the wings more, instead of relying on the duo of Xavi and Iniesta to supply the thru passes. The match between Echiejile/Efe Ambrose and Jesus Navas or Pedro will be fascinating. Ambrose won't be overawed by the occasion though, having played twice against Barca last season.
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by COOLDUN: 6:36am On Jun 08, 2013
bisikeys: This squad lacks dept. I see a lot of people the coach is trying to sell. Who is Muhammad Gambo and what has he done to be in the team? Who is Solomon Kwambe?? In midfield, i only see two players of class, Ogenyi Onazi and Mikel Obi.. Before you start mentioning Mba, in all of Nigeria's games that he has played , what is his overall performance. He's always anonymous for most of the game. His role is so undefined. You dont see him tackle, you dont see him pass, he just shows that occasional flash of brilliance. Check out our games in the Nations cup, Before and after the goals, what was his impact? What role was he playing? Defensive midfield, or attacking midfield? I believe this is not the best team Nigeria can offer at this stage. this is just the team of a coach trying to prove a point(that am in charge).

You guys should leave Stephen Keshi alone, we are in rebuilding of the national team, every discovered player should be given a chance to prove himself. No good player fell down from heaven, they were called given a chance before they proved themselves.

Nigeria should not be expecting victory before any competition, we should wish our team to perform well which is a sure chance of victory. The players you mentioned/questioned about might be our star players of tomorrow.

The problem of Nigeria is that every body is everything in Nigeria.That is why nothing is working as expected. Give Keshi a space to do his job Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by UnclevicYBNL(m): 6:37am On Jun 08, 2013
CFCfan: This is the list official list announced by FIFA today:

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama, Austine Ejide, Chigozie Agbim

Defenders: Godfrey Oboabona, Uwa Echiejile, Efe Ambrose, Azubuike Egwueke, Solomon Kwambe, Francis Benjamin, Kenneth Omeruo

Midfielders: John Ogu, John Obi Mikel, Fegor Ogude, Ogenyi Onaz, Emeka Eze, Sunday Mba

Forwards: Ahmed Musa, Brown Ideye, Joseph Akpala, Muhammad Gambo, Anthony Ujah, Michael Babatunde, Nnamdi Oduamadi

I wish our darling Super Eagles good luck.
wink
Re: Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! by Nobody: 6:39am On Jun 08, 2013
Here are Nigeria's group matches:

June 17: Tahiti v Nigeria @ 8pm
June 20: Nigeria v Uruguay @ 11pm
June 23: Nigeria v Spain @ 8pm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Manchester United Could Face Points Deduction Under Premier League Rules / Sanchez Becomes The Footballer With The Second-fastest Red Card At The World Cup / Paul Pogba Deletes 'disrespectful' Tweet After Jose Mourinho Sacking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.