Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,328 members, 7,822,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread (199308 Views)

Pls Help Needed With 1999 Nissan Infiniti Qx4 Ac / Nissan/infiniti Car Thread / Nissan Infiniti 1999-2002 Qx4 Against Toyota 2000 Camry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 10, 2013
olumide4christ:

No I didnt, some more experienced people advised me against buying it. Will go for other Nissan or Mazda models.

Ok, was just wondering. A few people have advised me not to touch it with a long pole also, though my heart is still stuck there....
I just wish I could get assurance from an expert Nissan mechanic's opinion that i can go ahead and buy it, but unfortunately there's none close to me.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 12:47am On Dec 10, 2013
Kingsteve: Based on some of the reviews from the consumers...Maxima had 539 reported problems.
Pathfinder=743
Xterra=425
Murano=252
Titan=114
And the worst of them all, Altima with 1,923 reported problems/cases

Compared to Infiniti
The highest reported problems were:
G35 with 21
M45 with 13
QX4 with 19, and G35x with 11.

The difference is clear!!!
Kingsteve: I have no idea, especially; as both brands are made by the same manufacturer.
It beats me...

Are you sure its not just the effect of sheer volume of sales of the brands? More people are buying the regular Nissan products, so of course they will be more reported problems. Much fewer people buy the luxury Infinity brand, so there will also be naturally fewer complaints compaired to the regular Nissan products.
Just my thots anyway....

2 Likes

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Kingsteve(m): 7:31am On Dec 10, 2013
DJX50:

Are you sure its not just the effect of sheer volume of sales of the brands? More people are buying the regular Nissan products, so of course they will be more reported problems. Much fewer people buy the luxury Infinity brand, so there will also be naturally fewer complaints compaired to the regular Nissan products.
Just my thots anyway....

Forget about the number of complaints for now, and look at the reason for their complaints...numbers are secondary, reason for the complaints, primary.
Most common problems reported were...transmission issues, Radiator issues (leaking, overheating, coolant mixing with transmission), excessive oil consumption, and Engine problems.
However, from the Infiniti complaints, you'll hardly find the aforementioned problems, rather the type of problems they complained about were, accessories problems, eg: dashboard cracks, leather cracks on seats (common with the FX), electrical problems on select models (G37), Brakes wearing out prematurely, and few other complaints, which in my opinion, are manageable!

Let's put it this way, the Infiniti complaints are not as severe as the Nissan brand.
It has nothing to do with sheer volume of sales...the problems are there.
However, Nissan have tried to rectify some of those common problems on their newer models, but the question is: how many people can really afford to buy the newer models, especially in Africa, where everything is cash 'n' carry?

EDIT: Before I got my Infiniti sedan, I really wanted an SUV...be it Pathfinder or Xterra, but after reading the horrible reviews about most Nissan products, I did the needful.
I then started researching on their luxury brand...Infiniti, surprisingly, the reviews were ok, not perfect, but something I could live with.
I then made up my mind to get the FX35 or FX45, but I also got discouraged by the price, and also the cracking dashboards.
I finally got the M35 sedan, which has the FX35 engine.
A solid car, with loads of gadgets and ehh...gimmicks, the only problem; ground clearance is low, which means, some roads are prohibited.
I have a second car for my daily movement, so I can live with that.

Nissan products are generally flashy, hence; my initial attraction to the brand, but reliability is highly questionable!

2 Likes

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 10:16am On Dec 10, 2013
Kingsteve is correct.
That's the primary reason I went into Nissan parts and repairs. grin
If you also observe, the Infiniti models do not get cvt transmissions, there's a reason for that.

3 Likes

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 10, 2013
Kingsteve:

Forget about the number of complaints for now, and look at the reason for their complaints...numbers are secondary, reason for the complaints, primary.
Most common problems reported were...transmission issues, Radiator issues (leaking, overheating, coolant mixing with transmission), excessive oil consumption, and Engine problems.
However, from the Infiniti complaints, you'll hardly find the aforementioned problems, rather the type of problems they complained about were, accessories problems, eg: dashboard cracks, leather cracks on seats (common with the FX), electrical problems on select models (G37), Brakes wearing out prematurely, and few other complaints, which in my opinion, are manageable!

Let's put it this way, the Infiniti complaints are not as severe as the Nissan brand.
It has nothing to do with sheer volume of sales...the problems are there.
However, Nissan have tried to rectify some of those common problems on their newer models, but the question is: how many people can really afford to buy the newer models, especially in Africa, where everything is cash 'n' carry?

EDIT: Before I got my Infiniti sedan, I really wanted an SUV...be it Pathfinder or Xterra, but after reading the horrible reviews about most Nissan products, I did the needful.
I then started researching on their luxury brand...Infiniti, surprisingly, the reviews were ok, not perfect, but something I could live with.
I then made up my mind to get the FX35 or FX45, but I also got discouraged by the price, and also the cracking dashboards.
I finally got the M35 sedan, which has the FX35 engine.
A solid car, with loads of gadgets and ehh...gimmicks, the only problem; ground clearance is low, which means, some roads are prohibited.
I have a second car for my daily movement, so I can live with that.

Nissan products are generally flashy, hence; my initial attraction to the brand, but reliability is highly questionable!

Lol, I see your point sha, makes sense....
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 10, 2013
nissparts: Kingsteve is correct.
That's the primary reason I went into Nissan parts and repairs. grin
If you also observe, the Infiniti models do not get cvt transmissions, there's a reason for that.

Ehen Nissparts, since you are here sef, what do you think of my planning to get a registered(Nigerian used) Nissan Maxima 2000-2003. I really really like the car but reviews have been frowning seriously on it.
Its kind of like, my heart is all for it but my head is warning me seriously.
I need encouragement to buy from a Nissan expert,.......or discouragement not to buy if that will save my ass.
What has been your experience?
Do they really give problems like that?
Or should I just 'jejely' port and go and buy a Honda civic quietly, since I dont have too many resources (time and money) to constantly be at a mechanic's place every weekend like they say in the Maxima's reviews (someone actually said you become lifelong close pallies with a mechanic the moment you acquire a Maxima, for as long as that car stays with you)

PS: I need your advice from a personal point of view, not from a business point of view grin grin grin
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Kingsteve(m): 10:52am On Dec 10, 2013
Hey nissparts, just wondering...do you have Nissan Matic J ATF in stock, and if so, how much is a litre of it?
Another question; if I need to buy some of them from you, how do I get them, cos I'm sure, the chances of us being in the same location are slim?
At the moment, I am in Imo, but I know that whenever I travel to Abuja, there are more chances of getting the Matic J ATF, but in Owerri, it'll be a herculean task to find one.
By the way, your reason for going into Nissan parts and repairs is brilliant...a niche market you got there!
wink
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 11:12am On Dec 10, 2013
DJX50:

Ehen Nissparts, since you are here sef, what do you think of my planning to get a registered(Nigerian used) Nissan Maxima 2000-2003. I really really like the car but reviews have been frowning seriously on it.
Its kind of like, my heart is all for it but my head is warning me seriously.
I need encouragement to buy from a Nissan expert,.......or discouragement not to buy if that will save my ass.
What has been your experience?
Do they really give problems like that?
Or should I just 'jejely' port and go and buy a Honda civic quietly, since I dont have too many resources (time and money) to constantly be at a mechanic's place every weekend like they say in the Maxima's reviews (someone actually said you become lifelong close pallies with a mechanic the moment you acquire a Maxima, for as long as that car stays with you)

PS: I need your advice from a personal point of view, not from a business point of view grin grin grin

If it's Nigerian used, forget it.
Also, forget the civic. In less than a year, you'll be bored and aching for a replacement
What's your budget?
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 11:40am On Dec 10, 2013
Yes there are a few alternatives but if you are only doing a drain and fill, you would only need about 4 litres
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Kingsteve(m): 11:46am On Dec 10, 2013
Really?
My Engine is 3.5L V6
2006 Infiniti M35.
Thought it gulps up to 6-7 Litres of ATF?
I stand to be corrected...

What are the other alternatives, please?
cry
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 11:58am On Dec 10, 2013
Kingsteve: Really?
My Engine is 3.5L V6
2006 Infiniti M35.
Thought it gulps up to 6-7 Litres of ATF?
I stand to be corrected...

What are the other alternatives, please?
cry

It gulps a little over 11 litres total but you will only get around 4 litres out of the drain plug.
The remaining fluid will be in the torque converter.
Apart from doing a flush to get everything out and replaced, there are some ways to drain everything but only recommended for professionals o.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2013
Sorry, alternatives are Amsoil synthetic ATF, Maxlife valvoline ATF, Coastal multivehicle synthetic...... but you'll have to drain everything out and replace with any of these

1 Like

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 10, 2013
nissparts:

If it's Nigerian used, forget it.
Also, forget the civic. In less than a year, you'll be bored and aching for a replacement
What's your budget?
Lol, thanks. That settles it then.
Between 500-600k.
Any suggestions?
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Kingsteve(m): 1:06pm On Dec 10, 2013
nissparts: Sorry, alternatives are Amsoil synthetic ATF, Maxlife valvoline ATF, Coastal multivehicle synthetic...... but you'll have to drain everything out and replace with any of these

Thanks for the info.
I def won't be doing the draining, I'll leave that to the mechanic!
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 2:26pm On Dec 10, 2013
DJX50:
Between 500-600k.
Any suggestions?

A primera, almera or G25
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Kingsteve(m): 2:47pm On Dec 10, 2013
DJX50:
Between 500-600k.
Any suggestions?

How urgent is it to purchase a car?
If you can hold on, why not save up more, then you can get a camry...pencil eye, big for nothing or even EOD.
You don't wanna buy a car you'll get tired of easily.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 10, 2013
nissparts:

A primera, almera or G25
Hey! Leave the G25 out of that bracket.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 10, 2013
nissparts: Sorry, alternatives are Amsoil synthetic ATF, Maxlife valvoline ATF, Coastal multivehicle synthetic...... but you'll have to drain everything out and replace with any of these
Does this mean either of these is not compatible with the Matik? In that case, the drain and refill would have to be done about three times to remove the Matik nearly completely.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 10, 2013
Kingsteve:

Thanks for the info.
I def won't be doing the draining, I'll leave that to the mechanic!
Hm! Who says it can't be done by you, or under your guided supervision? Could be fun.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by olumide4christ: 5:30pm On Dec 10, 2013
DJX50:

Ok, was just wondering. A few people have advised me not to touch it with a long pole also, though my heart is still stuck there....
I just wish I could get assurance from an expert Nissan mechanic's opinion that i can go ahead and buy it, but unfortunately there's none close to me.

Ask nissparts, search for his thread in the local search of Nairaland, he is an expert in Nissan & Infiniti brands, he was helpful to me when I was making enquiries.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 5:35pm On Dec 10, 2013
Costee:
Hey! Leave the G25 out of that bracket.

LOL....I was looking for your trouble
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 5:41pm On Dec 10, 2013
Costee:
Does this mean either of these is not compatible with the Matik? In that case, the drain and refill would have to be done about three times to remove the Matik nearly completely.

Since they are mostly synthetic, I prefer not to mix them with the matic.
Getting the fluid out at once is not so difficult if you know how
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
nissparts:

LOL....I was looking for your trouble
And I so easily bit the bait grin
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2013
nissparts:

A primera, almera or G25
Ok thanks.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 11, 2013
Kingsteve:

How urgent is it to purchase a car?
If you can hold on, why not save up more, then you can get a camry...pencil eye, big for nothing or even EOD.
You don't wanna buy a car you'll get tired of easily.
Actually, I need to get one asap because of my job...needs mobility. And I'm not really looking for one i'll use long term because I may be leaving the country towards ending of next year. I just want something small and functional.
I dont know why, but i've always totally hated the look of Camry pencil light or wider light (99-2001), as well as Big for Nothing.
EOD is nice, but way out of my budget for now, and I need to get a car soon.
Thanks for the advice sha.

2 Likes

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 11, 2013
olumide4christ:

Ask nissparts, search for his thread in the local search of Nairaland, he is an expert in Nissan & Infiniti brands, he was helpful to me when I was making enquiries.
He has given his expert advice here already, thanks
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by jossyme: 1:44pm On Dec 11, 2013
Am expecting the arrival of my '07 fx35 any moment from now. Any advise for me please.
Happy to be on board!

1 Like

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by nissparts(m): 2:05pm On Dec 11, 2013
Dont use any dashboard cleaner spray on it.
Dont have front end accidents that will require you to replace headlights
Regular oil changes

2 Likes

Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by Kingsteve(m): 2:13pm On Dec 11, 2013
nissparts: Dont use any dashboard cleaner spray on it.
Regular oil changes

Lol @ 'Dont have front end accidents that will require you to replace the headlights'

If i may ask, any particular reason for the advice?
I guess those headlights are really expensive, and hard to find.
Re: Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread by jossyme: 2:30pm On Dec 11, 2013
nissparts: Dont use any dashboard cleaner spray on it.
Regular oil changes

Please sir how regular is the oil changes,and what's up with the headlights .....cost? I need any elders wise counsel I can get as this is my first

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (87) (Reply)

Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.