Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:29 AM

We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E (9058 Views)

All Nigerian Christian Counselors' Association Is Calling!!! / Adoption From Nigeria (PLEASE HELP!!!) / Need Marriage Counselling ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
I'm want to share this from a book.

The big secret is that- there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work.
- OPRAH WINFREY

Not long ago I received this desperate email from a reader asking me for advice. I'm sharing this note with you cos it takes you into the mind of a person on the cusp of having an affair.

Hi Councellor,
You are the only one I trust for advice. I'm 48yrs old and my wife and I have been married for almost 17yrs . We have two teenage kids and we own our home , financially secure and by all rights should be happy.

Unfortunately my wife and I have grown apart, but not through my doing, . She works 9hrs a day at her job and has been neglecting me for a very long time. Aside from the bedroom neglecting, the emotional neglecting is the most hurtful. For the past 17 years, I have been putting up with her name-calling, mind control and insults, hoping she would outgrow it or change but no such luck. I, on the other hand have a full time job plus I cook, clean, do housework , do laundry, iron , go out with kids , help out every night with homework etc . She just complains she is tired and never spends any time with me. Over the weekend she told me point-blank, 'you're old , fat, and who's going to love you'

Here is my Dilemma: I work with this wonderful girl who is nothing but supportive of me, as I am of her. She is battling the same losing cause as I am, but with her boyfriend of three years. Ever since I met her , I have felt a distant natural attraction which is purely her inner beauty shinning out as my one true soul mate. She is very smart as well as down-to-earth . This past Thursday was her birthday and I all went out to give her a special day to remember. I took her out for lunch; I got her a birthday card and a small gift.
When she opened the card and read it, she began to cry and I gave her a kids on her head. She was genuinely appreciative that someone remembered her birthday. She stood up and kissed me on the cheek and said the nicest thing anyone has ever done for her. At that moment my heat ignited . I felt a chest pain but in a good way.
Now I pose the eternal question: Councellor , what do I do? Do I confess my feelings of love for her and see what happens? Do I break away from this wonderful woman and continue on my miserable existence with my wife? Do I quit my job or what? Please let me know before I screw up , thank you.
---------
It's hard not to feel pity for this man -- clearly this marriage is in crisis. But if we take a step back from the 'Right' or 'Wrong' emotional component of this situation, we can see clearly that he isn't giving his marriage a shot at repair. He said he has hope for years that things will change, but hope alone never changes anything. This man has avoided discussing the serious the serious issues in his relationship and in the process , had become a door mat filled with anger, sadness and disappointment. He and his wife are involved in a routine dance of indifference, and when they do connect, it's only to battle with each other. Neither one of them has the courage to face the reality of the situation.
Nevertheless, a bad relationship doesn't justify infidelity. We are responsible for our choices and for the conversation we have-- or don't have - with out partners. Cheating is the coward's way out.

Research shows that in approximately one-third of all divorces , at least one spouse cheated during the marriage. And every one of those cheaters intended to do it.

Contd

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

My dear,

The parents are accountable for what their kids do... that's why they are parents.

The Bible says... 'Train up a child in the way he/she should go and he/she is old, he/she will not depart from it.' God punished Eli for the sins of his children because he refused to train them even at their old age. However, if parents train their kids well they are exonerated if when they don't turn out well. An example is Samuel

For you to refuse following a sugar daddy means you have been trained to believe it is wrong. Have you not seen people who don't know that doing some wrong thing is wrong?

Most kids become who their parents trained them to be. Look at little children closely... have you seen anyone who lacks self-esteem? Whether the baby is wrapped in golden shawl or rags, they will both smile.
I disagree o madam
Hw about a child brot up in a Christian home and she got to school to do aristo?
I used to have a friend dat her mum was sleeping with politicians wayback then. She told her daughter to start dating big men in order to take care of herself & pay her school fees. She turned her mum down. She worked while in school and able to finish her part time progame.
Today she is happily married with 3kids.
So everythg still boils down to d individual.

Fhemmmy: Brilliant thread and awesome comments, however, here is where the failure came from:
1. Pastors and Imams ought to be a good counselor as well but some are not, and when you are under such leader try to figure our a way to deal with issues.
2. Some of our customs are outdated, like the woman is to carry all the emotional problem of the home? that is totally not fair, if we could change and now allow women to work, then, men needs to take the wrapper as well to take care of some issues.
3. Woman need to voice out and not just get into the marriage all in the name of "all my friends are married"

And again, there is nothing wrong in professional counselors but please make sure you are not being counseled just from the book and no experience cos most of the books wont be written in Nigeria for our cases.
I love ur post
How are we sure that those clerics dat do counseling have a good marriage dat is worth emulating?
Most of them r wife beaters & cheats which we know. So do u think troubled couples will love to go to these people?
Also d idea of my mates r getting married hasto do with issue of desperation needs to be curbed in d society. It is high time ladies realised marriage is not a do or die affair.

biolabee: As much as I agree with some things uve said it's not always like that

Was David a good father yes..

But his son overthrew him as king, another a ra.pist and one eyed his fathers's concubine

Samuel in his old age had so much pain due to his sons

A parent can try but God knows best

The same womb raised abel and abel's killer

Biola,
In the issue of David, it was karma. There was no way he culd go unpunished despite being forgiven
bellong:

I beg to disagree with you about David.

David was a good man, friend and leader but he was a very BAD father.

That is why most of his children turned out the way they are. A man can be good to the society and be a bad father. Being a bad father does not necessarily mean being cruel to children. He had no time for those children he gave birth to in his early years because he was too busy with the affairs of the state.
Yes ! Thumb up
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:
I disagree o madam
Hw about a child brot up in a Christian home and she got to school to do aristo?
I used to have a friend dat her mum was sleeping with politicians wayback then. She told her daughter to start dating big men in order to take care of herself & pay her school fees. She turned her mum down. She worked while in school and able to finish her part time progame.
Today she is happily married with 3kids.
So everythg still boils down to d individual

I love ur post
How are we sure that those clerics dat do counseling have a good marriage dat is worth emulating?
Most of them r wife beaters & cheats which we know. So do u think troubled couples will love to go to these people?
Also d idea of my mates r getting married hasto do with issue of desperation needs to be curbed in d society. It is high time ladies realised marriage is not a do or die affair.

Biola,
In the issue of David, it was karma. There was no way he culd go unpunished despite being forgiven

Yes ! Thumb up

I have answered your questions in subsequent posts.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 3:15pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:
I love ur post

That is the whole idea, for us to learn from their mistakes and not from their books, a parent is not training or advising a kid cos they got it together, but cos they wont want the kids to thread same path that led them nowhere.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

That is the whole idea, for us to learn from their mistakes and not from their books, a parent is not training or advising a kid cos they got it together, but cos they wont want the kids to thread same path that led them nowhere.
[quote author=Fhemmmy]

I just believe marriage will can only work if u r willing to make it work. Counselor or no counselor
You can force a horse to d stream but u cant force it to drink.
Some will even go to pastors for counseling and the next thing is pastor asking you out undecided
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 3:24pm On Jun 11, 2013
bellong:

I beg to disagree with you about David.

David was a good man, friend and leader but he was a very BAD father.

That is why most of his children turned out the way they are. A man can be good to the society and be a bad father. Being a bad father does not necessarily mean being cruel to children. He had no time for those children he gave birth to in his early years because he was too busy with the affairs of the state.
hmmm... not the point of my post to raise a philosophical debate on the merits of David as a father
Ok... for david substitute with Noah (who cursed one of his sons) or better still Isaac (who raised a philander on one hand and a swindler on the other)

The point was raised that parents are to blame for children's action and that is the point not David ...
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 11, 2013
Nigerian men no dey do counseling abeg
They are too macho and too big headed to be told what to do and how to do it
The only counsellor they will go to is one that will talk sense to his wife
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:
I just believe marriage will can only work if u r willing to make it work. Counselor or no counselor
You can force a horse to d stream but u cant force it to drink.
Some will even go to pastors for counseling and the next thing is pastor asking you out

That is always the case, no one could make u do what you dont wanna do . . . And a pastor that ask you out, that shd be a red flag that he aint a pastor but an employee of the building and you will run away . . .
My Pastor always say "Love will take the couple to the alter, but commitment will keep them together"
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

@bolded: Aka women

haba... so for all the post na that one u see...
the greatest king in all of israel na him u reduce to womaniser....?!
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

There is nobody that is perfect. Chasing perfection is a type of bondage.

There is a joy that comes from knowing you have done all you could do. Parents who train their kids well are justified even if they do not turn out well.

So why does it seem u blame the parents who did not raise their kids to stay off dating or dont treat their wives well...
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2013
babyosisi: Nigerian men no dey do counseling abeg
They are too macho and too big headed to be told what to do and how to do it
The only counsellor they will go to is one that will talk sense sense to his wife

That is not true, i am a Nigerian man and i will gladly attend one with my wife, as long as i know will make our marriage last and work . . . But when i get to your office as a counselor, i will ask you - Are you married and for how long, once u are married and longer than 6 months, i will sit and listen to you as a counselor but if less than 6 months, i will sit and listen to you as a friend and "Maybe" you could have something to tell me that is not just from the book.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

That is not true, i am a Nigerian man and i will gladly attend one with my wife, as long as i know will make our marriage last and work . . . But when i get to your office as a counselor, i will ask you - Are you married and for how long, once u are married and longer than 6 months, i will sit and listen to you as a counselor but if less than 6 months, i will sit and listen to you as a friend and "Maybe" you could have something to tell me that is not just from the book.

NIgerian men will opt for counseling with the same enthusiasm as choosing vasectomy for a birth control method
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

You are a Good man, ideally every couple needs one , just like your lawyer ( that has your WILL and you only pay him during consult alone, not like they're on your payroll monthly undecided)
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2013
babyosisi:
NIgerian men will opt for counseling with the same enthusiasm as choosing vasectomy for a birth control method

All i am saying is that, it is not all men . . . and even those that do not, look into our culture of "Men dont cry" and yet you see the man crying at night while no one is watching and such will die of problems and not one would know
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 3:37pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee:

So why does it seem u blame the parents who did not raise their kids to stay off dating or dont treat their wives well...

Because they did not do their job.

God said He will bless the work of our hands, faith without work is dead etc.

Imagine a farmer that refuses to plant corn in the soil crying and praying that 'God let my corn grow etc.'

That Farmer is the parents;
The soil is the child/his mind;
The corn is the teachings and training;
The God is God.

God did not give children to parents as a status symbol; He gave children to parents for training and helping them achieve what God created them to achieve. Just how God cannot rain Naira notes from the sky, He cannot teach babies Himself though He takes over in extreme cases.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Because they did not do their job.

God said He will bless the work of our hands, faith without work is dead etc.

Imagine a farmer that refuses to plant corn in the soil crying and praying that 'God let my corn grow etc.'

That Farmer is the parents;
The soil is the child/his mind;
The corn is the teachings and training;
The God is God.

God did not give children to parents as a status symbol; He gave children to parents for training and helping them achieve what God created them to achieve. Just how God cannot rain Naira notes from the sky, He cannot teach babies Himself though He takes over in extreme cases.

Madam u r just blaming parents as if it is only parents that have impact on d lives of dir children
Do u want to compare d society of the 70s - 90s to d kinda society we have now
Then children had ds kinda fear dat mum or dad is coming, let me run inside so dat dey dnt catch me playing outside with sand or something.
Do we have those kinda kids na.
Fine parents share part of d blame but u dont heap everything on them.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 3:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:
Madam u r just blaming parents as if it is only parents that have impact on d lives of dir children
Do u want to compare d society of the 70s - 90s to d kinda society we have now
Then children had ds kinda fear dat mum or dad is coming, let me run inside so dat dey dnt catch me playing outside with sand or something.
Do we have those kinda kids na.
Fine parents share part of d blame but u dont heap everything on them.

Nike,

The duty of parents is to strictly guide their children to fulfill their God given purpose in life. God still punished Eli for his married children's sins even though He still punished the children. God did not say that they are married or grown and should know what is right. A place in the Bible even instruct us to teach our 'grandchildren'

Once parents train their kids very well, they are absolved of all blame even if the kids refuse to accept the training.

My point is that parents, do your part so that when it is time to account for your children, you can say 'I did what God asked me to do. I taught him/her your word, ways etc. but he/she did not take heed. I taught them by example and the bad behaviors he/she has, he/she did not get it from me...'

Let us train our kids in such a way that we will be bold before God to say 'indeed, I tried.'
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Nike,

The duty of parents are to make sure that their children fulfill their God given purpose in life. God still punished Eli for his married children's sins even though He still punished the children. God did not say that they are married or grown and should know what is right. A place in the Bible even instruct us to teach our 'grandchildren'

Once parents train their kids very well, they are absolved of all blame even if the kids refuse to accept the training.

My point is that parents, do your part so that when it is time to account for your children, you can say 'I did what God asked me to do. I taught him/her your word, ways etc. but he/she did not take heed. I taught them by example and the bad behaviors he/she has, he/she did not get it from me...'

Let us train our kids in such a way that we will be bold before God to say 'indeed, I tried.'

The duty of a parent is to guide the kids to the right path by instructing and discipline when needs be, but the parent will not follow the kids around to check what they are doing . . . Same Bible instruct the kids to listen and be obedient and how many kids are obedient now?
Parents have a lot to do, but the kids too needs to be willing to learn, parents only shows you the road and you have to be the one to toll that road.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 4:05pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

The duty of a parent is to guide the kids to the right path by instructing and discipline when needs be, but the parent will not follow the kids around to check what they are doing . . . Same Bible instruct the kids to listen and be obedient and how many kids are obedient now?
Parents have a lot to do, but the kids too needs to be willing to learn, parents only shows you the road and you have to be the one to toll that road.

Maybe fulfill is the wrong word and I will modify it but the rest of that post says the same with yours...
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by damiso(f): 4:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
Counselling undecidedWhen most Nigerians think depression is not disease.Its a mood.I told someone that I had mild post natal depression after I had my daughter and she was like am spoilt.

Most africans feel odd spilling their issues to total strangers.
Let me modify, many africans feel odd spilling theur issues to strangers in person cos come to think of it alot of threads are opened on NL to get some sort of counselling as the case might be (though viewer discretion is advised concerning some kain advise)

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 4:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Maybe fulfill is the wrong word and I will modify it but the rest of that post says the same with yours...

The difference is that, we cant blame parents for ALL what kids are doing, some parents have done their parts and up to the kids to listen and take to the teaching of the parents . . . in most cases of what we have these days, the kids are to be blamed, the parents send a kid to school to read and be someone in life and he got there to be a gang member, is that the fault of the father or momsie?
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 4:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
damiso: Counselling undecidedWhen most Nigerians think depression is not disease.Its a mood.I told someone that I had mild post natal depression after I had my daughter and she was like am spoilt.

Most africans feel odd spilling their issues to total strangers.

very true, but then, we have to start from somewhere, else the recycle of "Old packs" will continue

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 4:15pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

The difference is that, we cant blame parents for ALL what kids are doing, some parents have done their parts and up to the kids to listen and take to the teaching of the parents . . . in most cases of what we have these days, the kids are to be blamed, the parents send a kid to school to read and be someone in life and he got there to be a gang member, is that the fault of the father or momsie?

Sending the child to school is not a training...

What values did they instill in that child before sending him to school?

What attracted the child to the gang or vice versa?

Are they involved in the school life of the child?
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Nike,

The duty of parents is to strictly guide their children to fulfill their God given purpose in life. God still punished Eli for his married children's sins even though He still punished the children. God did not say that they are married or grown and should know what is right. A place in the Bible even instruct us to teach our 'grandchildren'

bukatyne:

[quote author=Fhemmmy]

Bukatyne,
Fhemmy has helped me with my point.
Children must be willing to learn & trend the good parts parents have shown them even in their parents' absence
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 4:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:

You have gotten it.

The children can only practice what the parents have taught them, BUT they must practice it. I am not exonerating the children from their duty of retaining and practicing what their parents have taught them
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 4:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Sending the child to school is not a training...

What values did they instill in that child before sending him to school?

What attracted the child to the gang or vice versa?

Are they involved in the school life of the child?

You cant send a child to school without making the kid see the point in schooling. . . Yes, the value instill in the kids before sending them to school is very important and we have see the cases of kids from very poor background with community money to go to school, with very good and great value only to get to school and become someone else . . . Yes, some parents are involved, i remember while i was growing up and cos i know my dad will inspect my note, i will pay people to help me write the note, now you think my father ever found out - You could say how about writing difference, my sister, in Nigeria, they would do it
At the end of the day, all we saying is that, parents can only do their part, it is left for that kid to wanna learn.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 4:22pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

You have gotten it.

The children can only practice what the parents have taught them, BUT they must practice it. I am not exonerating the children from their duty of retaining and practicing what their parents have taught them

So a child that is born and the parents are dead and yet that child is of great value . . . Who taught that child? and if one did not do well, do we blame the dead parents?
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 4:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

So a child that is born and the parents are dead and yet that child is of great value . . . Who taught that child? and if one did not do well, do we blame the dead parents?

All my posts pieced together will explain all I have been saying...

Somebody trained that child and that person is the child's parent.

Can a child turn out well without training?

Train up a child in the way he/she go...

By training, I don't mean educational alone. I am talking of spiritual, physical, mental, psychological, financial, all round training.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

All my posts pieced together will explain all I have been saying...

Somebody trained that child and that person is the child's parent.

Can a child turn out well without training?

Train up a child in the way he/she go...

By training, I don't mean educational alone. I am talking of spiritual, physical, mental, psychological, financial, all round training.

There is something called self training . . . And it does work - After some certain age, a parents is only there to tell and guide but you as a child will toll the road
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

There is something called [b]self training . . . And it does work - After some certain age, a parents is only there to tell and guide but you as a child will toll the road[/b]
Thanks for that word lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Guys, Don't Jump Into Bed With Every Girl You See : Picture Speaks / 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' / Lol. This Is A Perfect Definition Of Wife Material. (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.