Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,631 members, 7,827,348 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E (8801 Views)

All Nigerian Christian Counselors' Association Is Calling!!! / Adoption From Nigeria (PLEASE HELP!!!) / Need Marriage Counselling ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:19pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay: Thanks guys displaying maturity on ds thread
God will help us all
He will give us wisdom on how to train our children in a way dat they wont fail us and also He will give these children a good heart dat wont make them derail from the good path we are showing them

Amen oh.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12:

Lol grin

Oprah is the most respectable intelligent, successful role model in the entire World hence my reason for saying human WILL as per her Quote that said

While i would copy her way of doing buz, i wont listen to her parental advice cos she aint one and neither would i listen to her approach on how to take care of my home . . . . Lol
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by tsmith(f): 6:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
kiss
damiso: [/b]

@bolded is why I would prefer marriage counselling.Families however neutral they may try to be often add their own prejudices and sometimes this is like adding fuel to a fire.If I listened to some kain counselling from my family hen, I would make my husband spend all his money while I stash mine building houses and investments In Nigeria.And am not talking OUR property am talking Mine.And you know what now I kinda see where those individuals are coming from cos they trusted their husbands with their finances and these men ended up marrying second wives.So for them marriage is be smart, cunning or get screwed.
How wont that colour their advice if asked to counsel a young couple going through a rough patch.
For me counselling, psycology(not just marriage) is sometimes needed in this modern world we are trying to navigate.I was typical naija who was like who needs counselling.But when I had mild PND, my hubby could not stop me crying, my pastor kept telling me to pray, talking to a proffesional helped aloooot.

damiso: [/b]

@bolded is why I would prefer marriage counselling.Families however neutral they may try to be often add their own prejudices and sometimes this is like adding fuel to a fire.If I listened to some kain counselling from my family hen, I would make my husband spend all his money while I stash mine building houses and investments In Nigeria.And am not talking OUR property am talking Mine.And you know what now I kinda see where those individuals are coming from cos they trusted their husbands with their finances and these men ended up marrying second wives.So for them marriage is be smart, cunning or get screwed.
How wont that colour their advice if asked to counsel a young couple going through a rough patch.
For me counselling, psycology(not just marriage) is sometimes needed in this modern world we are trying to navigate.I was typical naija who was like who needs counselling.But when I had mild PND, my hubby could not stop me crying, my pastor kept telling me to pray, talking to a proffesional helped aloooot.

grin grin, I see we are rather similar; navigating this westerner world with our cultural background, it a tough mix. But as an appendix to your post from way back 'Can a mother have it all', i'd say yes we can. It's only a matter of time ans striking the right balance.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 6:22pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee: good stuff guys... threads on NL can be devoid of rancour...

would just to add the child going rotten is also punushment...
jacobs who was a good father (waiting for bellong cheesy) had a son who slept with his concubine

Samuel died unhappy

Remember Jacob was a cheat? Reuben sleeping with his wife, his kids lying to him about Joseph are the prices he paid for his sins
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
tsmith: kiss

grin grin, I see we are rather similar; navigating this westerner world with our cultural background, it a tough mix. But as an appendix to your post from way back 'Can a mother have it all', i'd say yes we can. It's only a matter of time ans striking the right balance.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 6:27pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Remember Jacob was a cheat? Reuben sleeping with his wife, his kids lying to him about Joseph are the prices he paid for his sins

Then no one is perfect then except Jesu
and Enoch.,..

The Bible me i dey read these guys were polygamous, drinkers, adulterers and rap.ists (of their half sister sef)
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 6:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee:

and Enoch.,..

The Bible me i dey read these guys were polygamous, drinkers, adulterers and rap.ists (of their half sister sef)

Read Matthew 5:48
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee:

and Enoch.,..

Thus God never look for the perfect ones, else, Jesus Himself would not have chosen a cocky (peter), thief (Judas) and unbeliever (Thomas) as disciples . . .Always willing to work with us, just the way we are cool
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 6:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay: Thanks guys displaying maturity on ds thread
God will help us all
He will give us wisdom on how to train our children in a way dat they wont fail us and also He will give these children a good heart dat wont make them derail from the good path we are showing them

True, Amen
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 6:33pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Read Matthew 5:48

you for quote am na tongue

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

may god help us
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:37pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee:

you for quote am na tongue
may god help us

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. . . . But this verse here is not saying that you are perfect like your heavenly father, just saying, we should aspire to be better
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 6:41pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. . . . But this verse here is not saying that you are perfect like your heavenly father, just saying, we should aspire to be better

I agree sir.. since the good master also said no one is good except one.. but i get her POV at least...
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 6:43pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

The key word is aspire or work towards being better. Our imperfection is not an excuse to misdo!
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:45pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

The key word is aspire or work towards being better. Our imperfection is not an excuse to misdo!

Wonderfully said . . .
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:45pm On Jun 11, 2013
biolabee:

I agree sir.. since the good master also said no one is good except one.. but i get her POV at least...

True that . . .
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

While i would copy her way of doing buz, i wont listen to her parental advice cos she aint one and neither would i listen to her approach on how to take care of my home . . . . Lol

Ofcourse you'll chose the biz idea first grin

On a serious note, she never gave any parental advice, BUT she's surrounded by top experts in various fields ( Phil, Oz, Rabbi and so on) and she learns from them too, as per the WILL , I only used that to broaden kids Responsibility and accountability after parents training.

Good discourse tho
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 6:58pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12:

Ofcourse you'll chose the biz idea first grin

On a serious note, she never gave any parental advice, BUT she's surrounded by top experts in various fields ( Phil, Oz, Rabbi and so on) and she learns from them too, as per the WILL , I only used that to broaden kids Responsibility and accountability after parents training.

Good discourse tho

Yes oh, i will take the business part first, cos i hope to get better in my business and all that , , , Lol, but when it comes to how to raise home and the rest, i will go to the manual of He that created it ALL . . wink
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bellong: 8:35am On Jun 12, 2013
biolabee: good stuff guys... threads on NL can be devoid of rancour...

would just to add the child going rotten is also punushment...
jacobs who was a good father (waiting for bellong cheesy) had a son who slept with his concubine

Samuel died unhappy

My point was not specifically that good fathers always end up having good children. It was only to point out the weakness of David as per fatherhood. However, proportion of fathers who raised their children in the right way and their children turned out good are very high compared to the other.

What I personally observed over the years is that parents most times wait for their children to start talking before being trained or corrected about any negative character. You hear things like, he is still too young to understand, he doesn't know what they are doing etc....

Starting early and being a good father outweighs not being one. If at the end they turn out bad, at least you have peace on your part.

Jacob was a fraudster grin grin grin. The kids are already grown before he encountered divine transformation at bethel. We could also infer that because he hated Leah, he didn't pay attention to her children compared to Joseph and Benjamin from his beloved wife.

Samuel did his best and died happy because he didn't die of regret from failure of fatherhood like his "mentor" Eli.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 8:51am On Jun 12, 2013
bellong:

My point was not specifically that good fathers always end up having good children. It was only to point out the weakness of David as per fatherhood. However, proportion of fathers who raised their children in the right way and their children turned out good are very high compared to the other.

What I personally observed over the years is that parents most times wait for their children to start talking before being trained or corrected about any negative character. You hear things like, he is still too young to understand, he doesn't know what they are doing etc....

Starting early and being a good father outweighs not being one. If at the end they turn out bad, at least you have peace on your part.

Jacob was a fraudster grin grin grin. The kids are already grown before he encountered divine transformation at bethel. We could also infer that because he hated Leah, he didn't pay attention to her children compared to Joseph and Benjamin from his beloved wife.

Samuel did his best and died happy because he didn't die of regret from failure of fatherhood like his "mentor" Eli.

This is a beautiful piece

Have a blessed day
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 10:28am On Jun 12, 2013
Hmmm.....

No father will die 'happy' or fulfilled that he tried his best and he lost his child(ren)

At least not ME

Remember the shephard left 99 to get back the ONE

As humans we will try but God blesses the efoorts because destiny stealers abound every where

bellong:

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bellong: 11:12am On Jun 12, 2013
biolabee: Hmmm.....

No father will die 'happy' or fulfilled that he tried his best and he lost his child(ren)

At least not ME

As humans we will try but God blesses the efoorts because destiny stealers abound every where

I agree

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 3:39pm On Jun 12, 2013
biolabee: Hmmm.....

At least not ME

Words of wisdom . . .

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Words of wisdom . . .

Thanks sir smiley
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by AyeeIdris(f): 10:45am On Jun 15, 2013
Thanks for all the comments. Just one observation. I read earlier that when someone wrote that unless the counselor has been married successfully for many years, he will not be willing to go to one. I beg to differ. It is like saying unless a doctor has delivered hundreds of babies, he cannot deliver mine. Counselors are specially trained. They don't need to have 20 years experience in marriage before they can give marital advice. All they need is the skill and experience from dealing with other couples in similar situations, not their private lives. My two cents

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 2:23am On Jun 16, 2013
Ayee Idris: Thanks for all the comments. Just one observation. I read earlier that when someone wrote that unless the counselor has been married successfully for many years, he will not be willing to go to one. I beg to differ. It is like saying unless a doctor has delivered hundreds of babies, he cannot deliver mine. Counselors are specially trained. They don't need to have 20 years experience in marriage before they can give marital advice. All they need is the skill and experience from dealing with other couples in similar situations, not their private lives. My two cents

I see where you are coming from, but experience in book when it comes to psychology and medicine are not same . . . A counselor that is yet to marry has nothing to offer me than what she has read in a book, and again, most of the books are written for a different culture than ours . . .
What will he/she tells me to do if i am facing a rough marriage? he/she is yet to experience one

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by AyeeIdris(f): 11:39am On Jun 16, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I see where you are coming from, but experience in book when it comes to psychology and medicine are not same . . . A counselor that is yet to marry has nothing to offer me than what she has read in a book, and again, most of the books are written for a different culture than ours . . .
What will he/she tells me to do if i am facing a rough marriage? he/she is yet to experience one

what if the counselor has successfully dealt with other couples with similar problems like yours?
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 2:26pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ayee Idris:

what if the counselor has successfully dealt with other couples with similar problems like yours?

How would i measure the her successfully dealt with other couples with similar problems . . .
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by AyeeIdris(f): 7:58pm On Jun 20, 2013
Fhemmmy:

How would i measure the her successfully dealt with other couples with similar problems . . .

She will have records, won't she? Will you measure the number of times your doctor has done an operation before you allow him do it on you?
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by tanidabi: 8:59pm On Jun 20, 2013
Marriage counselling is key,the prob is we are too religious to ask for help,I have three pple I confide in,one has been married for over 30yrs and d oda 2 for abt 10-15yrs,pastors also have marriage challenges,but I notice der's a lot of burden placed on women to make marriage work,I talk to marriage counsellors cos they are professionals and its der job nd dey make sense to me ,if our men listen to dem marriages will be better,when u need help talk to professional councellors not neceSsarily pastors
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 2:46am On Jun 21, 2013
Ayee Idris:

She will have records, won't she? Will you measure the number of times your doctor has done an operation before you allow him do it on you?

Ha ha ha . . . Just like you wont allow a doctor in training while in house fellowship to operate on YOU, likewise i wont allow someone with no experience to tell me what to do in my marriage . . . it is more than what is written on the page of some book.

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 24, 2013
nikkykay: The issue is do our couples practice the kinda love dey practice in the western world?
No matter how westernised we try to be, we still have the culture thing flowing in our blood.
A white man can still forgive his wife for committing adultery after going thru counseling but Africa/ Nigerian Man is NO
Do we have d issue of submission in d white couples' marriage? NO but it is a must in Nigerian marriage
So if marriage counseling is working for them there it may not work in Nigeria
IMO.

IMO western marriages are not better than that of Nigeria. In the case of infidelity, we have Nigerians that do forgive their wife as well. It is wrong for you to castigate Nigerian men while we have a lot of Western wolves. Things have evolved. If the westerns do put themselves down as you have just down they won't be improving. Just as @nikkykay said, there are western ladies who would never forgive their men found wanting for infielity.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by intimatetalk: 4:39pm On Aug 29, 2013
Its high time Nigerians start talking to professional counselors , especially when it comes to the issue or relationship and marriage counseling. My few years experience as a professional relationship, sex & marriage counselor here in Nigeria shows that we still have a long way to go. Lot of hypocrisy and holier than thou attitude resulting to secret sins. www.intimatetalkwithtolu.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Will You Be In the Labor Room With Your Wife? / / My Husband Wants Me To Have An Abortion . I Want A Divorce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.