Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,401 members, 7,826,565 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

One Piece (anime/manga) - TV/Movies (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / One Piece (anime/manga) (170488 Views)

Kingdom Anime/manga. / Most Powerful Anime Or Manga Character Ever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (71) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by landinfo: 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
@Oda-Oda no me??........whaataa guaaaan
One-pizza!!!!!!! La booooooomb!!!!!!

N.b. If Luffy is to Akainu, Zoro to Fuji, Sanji to Kizaru, then it meanz that Jimbei is to a fisherman admiral??.....Oda-Oda no me??
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by kraftykc(m): 10:57am On Sep 19, 2014
Does anyone understand the whole gist about Laws DF? I didn't get it...Anyway nice chapter but this Corazon dude seems worse than Doffy, I am waiting to see what he did to get Law's lasting loyalty.
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by decepticos(m): 10:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
kraftykc: Does anyone understand the whole gist about Laws DF? I didn't get it...Anyway nice chapter but this Corazon dude seems worse than Doffy, I am waiting to see what he did to get Law's lasting loyalty.
are u talking of the eternal life stuff?
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by kraftykc(m): 11:39am On Sep 20, 2014
decepticos: are u talking of the eternal life stuff?

Yes. I don't get the motivation for why Doffy wants Law.
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 8:05am On Sep 22, 2014
before I can contribute meaningfully, lemme get back from my trip to Skypea, water7/Enis Lobby n Impel down.

soka, oro Jackson is Gol D's ship
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 9:53am On Sep 22, 2014
was just thinking, can we regard the cp9 Tekkai as armament haki?
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by TopsyKrete: 9:00pm On Sep 26, 2014
Was that Sabo i saw at the end of last episold?
I only follow d anime not d manga so try to understand my anxiety
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by SageNaruto(m): 7:50am On Sep 27, 2014
TopsyKrete: Was that Sabo i saw at the end of last episold?
I only follow d anime not d manga so try to understand my anxiety
maybe, maybe not.... tongue grin
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by TopsyKrete: 8:20am On Sep 27, 2014
SageNaruto: maybe, maybe not.... tongue grin

At this juncture, i dont mind waiting for 2 months before downloading any episold of OP.

At this point, Doffy will be so confident having the Marine and the World govt. In his palms knowing fully well that those Shichibukai that underestimated the Strawhat where doomed. And again what is Big mam doing in Dressrosa?
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 9:00am On Sep 27, 2014
Everything changed for Luffy starting from Jaya arc. Luffy encountering Bellamy was fated cuz Luffy tends to put wat he observes n experience into action. You call all agree that Luffy copied Bellamy's spring action into his gear second but unlike Bellamy that releases the compressed energy all at once Luffy retain his in his body thereby increasing his heart race, blood pressure and thermal energy.
Luffy gear third was as a result of his final encounter wit god Enel. If this Enel was to be in the Marine, he would be an admiral no doubt about it...
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by Frankloon(m): 8:26am On Sep 28, 2014
t12tosin: Everything changed for Luffy starting from Jaya arc. Luffy encountering Bellamy was fated cuz Luffy tends to put wat he observes n experience into action. You call all agree that Luffy copied Bellamy's spring action into his gear second but unlike Bellamy that releases the compressed energy all at once Luffy retain his in his body thereby increasing his heart race, blood pressure and thermal energy.
Luffy gear third was as a result of his final encounter wit god Enel. If this Enel was to be in the Marine, he would be an admiral no doubt about it...
I agree, Enel is an Admiral level character. I can't even imagine how he will have developed with the time skip. #godeneru
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 12:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
Jaymaestro: please " what's so special about the void century ??

The void century...
According to Prof. Clover of Ohara, there was a war that broke out like 900yrs ago and like all war the victor implements his ideas and the vanquished was totally destroyed. But @ the dusk of 800yrs, an organization was formed which was known as the World Government which was known since that time till present.
Before their annihilation, the people that fell engraved the history of things on the unbreakable stones called the Poneglyphes and dispersed them around the world for future generations to know their past , the same stones Robin is looking for. The WG knowing fully well the intentions of the ancient people tried without success to destroy those stones, then it was decreed that nobody should study the stones for fear of bringing danger to the known world by creating the ancient weapon Foton.
He went further to say that during the void period there was a country that took pride in its strenght but was totally destroyed by its enemy and that this enemy saw to it that that everything that happened during this period was erased. But as we currently see everything we know of is of the WG.

Coming to the real world, if we look closely is anything amiss?

Excuse me for bringing this forward, i read sometimes ago in one of Dan Brown's book Da Vinci code that this approach had been in existence and was being adopted by powerful people. Take for instance I am a Christian and from my study of the bible the 7th day was dedicated specially by Almighty God as a day of rest and worship, the day we all know as Saturday. But what do we have today, almost all Christians worship on Sunday, 1st day of the week, if one should ask why worship on Sunday, you will hear a chorus answer because Jesus Christ resurrected on Sunday, but they fail to remember that Almighty God said "REMEMBER the Sabbath day and keep it Holy". Question is why is it the only commandment in the Bible that starts with the word Remember?
Like i said excuse me for chipping the above in, buh the fact is that ONE PIECE is not a childs play for the true seeker. Aw i wish i can b introduced to the cool stuff Oda smokes...

1 Like

Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 7:18pm On Sep 29, 2014
Funny enof, Luffy unknowingly started using Haki from his encounter with Rob Lucci
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by SageNaruto(m): 7:47pm On Sep 29, 2014
t12tosin: Funny enof, Luffy unknowingly started using Haki from his encounter with Rob Lucci
hw? Wen?
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by SageNaruto(m): 7:56pm On Sep 29, 2014
t12tosin: Everything changed for Luffy starting from Jaya arc. Luffy encountering Bellamy was fated cuz Luffy tends to put wat he observes n experience into action. You call all agree that Luffy copied Bellamy's spring action into his gear second but unlike Bellamy that releases the compressed energy all at once Luffy retain his in his body thereby increasing his heart race, blood pressure and thermal energy.
I don't agree on d gear second.... Even Rob Lucci said he was using his body lyk a steam train in reference to d 1 @ water 7 and only sum1 with his ability could do it... I bliv d gear third was influenced by d giants he had met....
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by SageNaruto(m): 8:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
t12tosin:

The void century...
According to Prof. Clover of Ohara, there was a war that broke out like 900yrs ago and like all war the victor implements his ideas and the vanquished was totally destroyed. But @ the dusk of 800yrs, an organization was formed which was known as the World Government which was known since that time till present.
Before their annihilation, the people that fell engraved the history of things on the unbreakable stones called the Poneglyphes and dispersed them around the world for future generations to know their past , the same stones Robin is looking for. The WG knowing fully well the intentions of the ancient people tried without success to destroy those stones, then it was decreed that nobody should study the stones for fear of bringing danger to the known world by creating the ancient weapon Foton.
He went further to say that during the void period there was a country that took pride in its strenght but was totally destroyed by its enemy and that this enemy saw to it that that everything that happened during this period was erased. But as we currently see everything we know of is of the WG.

Excuse me for bringing this forward, i read sometimes ago in one of Dan Brown's book Da Vinci code that this approach had been in existence and was being adopted by powerful people. Take for instance I am a Christian and from my study of the bible the 7th day was dedicated specially by Almighty God as a day of rest and worship, the day we all know as Saturday. But what do we have today, almost all Christians worship on Sunday, 1st day of the week, if one should ask why worship on Sunday, you will hear a chorus answer because Jesus Christ resurrected on Sunday, but they fail to remember that Almighty God said "REMEMBER the Sabbath day and keep it Holy". Question is why is it the only commandment in the Bible that starts with the word Remember?
Like i said excuse me for chipping the above in, buh the fact is that ONE PIECE is not a childs play for the true seeker. Aw i wish i can b introduced to the cool stuff Oda smokes...
5000 likes 4 dis!!!!!! cheesy
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by landinfo: 10:41pm On Sep 29, 2014
t12tosin:

Acts 2:46

And they, continuing daily with one accord in
the temple, and breaking bread from house to
house, did eat their meat with gladness and
singleness of heart,

OR
Acts 20:7

And upon the first day of the week, when the
disciples came together to break bread, Paul
preached unto them, ready to depart on the
morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Maybe I don't undastand ya query but I know dat I have given enuff reason Y church-goerz go to church on sundayz

t12tosin:

Yeap.....true dat 2 the bolded
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 10:14am On Sep 30, 2014
Nairalandinfo:

Acts 2:46

And they, continuing daily with one accord in
the temple, and breaking bread from house to
house, did eat their meat with gladness and
singleness of heart,

OR
Acts 20:7

And upon the first day of the week, when the
disciples came together to break bread, Paul
preached unto them, ready to depart on the
morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Maybe I don't undastand ya query but I know dat I have given enuff reason Y church-goerz go to church on sundayz

Yeap.....true dat 2 the bolded

This is OP thread, but we can as well reason on this fact. Can you give any reason as to why Paul broke bread and did all he did on the first day of the week and not on the 7th, lets not forget he wanted to travel buh noticed it fell on the Sabbath and had to postpone?
Funny enof, we all want to attribute the change of the day of worship to either Paul or the resurrection of Jesus Christ but we fall to remember the prophesy of Daniel of the forth beast that has the power to change the time and season ordained. Try reading Daniel 7 take note of verse 25.
What do you know about the Nicene convention of 325AD? Pls do ur findings n try not to be deceived.

P.S. In 321 (four years before Nicaea), Constantine declared Sunday to be an Empire-wide day of rest in honor of the sun. At the time of the council, imperial coinage and other imperial motifs still depicted pagan cult symbology in combination with the Emperor's image.
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 2:35pm On Sep 30, 2014
SageNaruto: I don't agree on d gear second.... Even Rob Lucci said he was using his body lyk a steam train in reference to d 1 @ water 7 and only sum1 with his ability could do it... I bliv d gear third was influenced by d giants he had met....

Have you studied how Bellamy execise his ability and noticed how Luffy immitated him on his encounter with Blueno of CP9?
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by SageNaruto(m): 3:32pm On Sep 30, 2014
t12tosin:

Have you studied how Bellamy execise his ability and noticed how Luffy immitated him on his encounter with Blueno of CP9?
I knw wat u mean. Initially, I didn't want to opposite ur theory but I just had to remind u of lucci's comment as it came to mind... Its bin year since I saw and read d water 7 arc, so I won't debate much on d mata. But I will review it again wen I'm chanced tho...
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 7:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
SageNaruto: I knw wat u mean. Initially, I didn't want to opposite ur theory but I just had to remind u of lucci's comment as it came to mind... Its bin year since I saw and read d water 7 arc, so I won't debate much on d mata. But I will review it again wen I'm chanced tho...

At present, i'm in Enies Lobby, buster call invoked
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by decepticos(m): 11:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
t12tosin:

At present, i'm in Enies Lobby, buster call invoked
I have said nothing because I have not seen or read up on the jaya, water7, or enies lobby arcs, I kinda skipped them, but I recall that the earliest encounter I had with viewing luffy's 2nd gear was in the mecha island giant turtle movie, where it took him both sanji and zoro to both initiate and stop the process to avoid or rather stop luffy from killing the gaint turtle. Then again we could say the movie has a different story line from the main series, so let's go to your thoughts on Haki being used at enies lobby by luFfy (please correct me if u said otherwise) now that's not haki he used either to start up the 2nd and the 3rd gear, if we recall the WB vs the Navy battle where coby had issues and was taken to the doctor the doctor said something about haven achieved one of the 3 skills usually honed and taught by the navy hence we have the Soru, Tekkai and one other I can't tell (cos I nor know), now the 1st place the haki was used in Op that I saw was when Shanks chased off the sea king after saving luffy and losing An arm, this ability will go unnamed till skypiea although they differed but were not known to have been similar by any chance at all. On the case of the war I feel that's on a whole new league of assumption, seen as people from the future may (emphasis on may) taken part in this war and aided what will become this WG into power (sorry this is what u get when u think on the spot u forget what u really wanted to say) and I am speaking here of Gol D Roger, considering that Reigleh said he knew what happened during d void century and insinuated that they were there, I think they aided a side to win (in good fate) and now that side became the WG which became the end of them. I am only thinking oh, as for those weapons I have no idea what the WG need them for in the 1st place.
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 8:15am On Oct 01, 2014
decepticos: I have said nothing because I have not seen or read up on the jaya, water7, or enies lobby arcs, I kinda skipped them, but I recall that the earliest encounter I had with viewing luffy's 2nd gear was in the mecha island giant turtle movie, where it took him both sanji and zoro to both initiate and stop the process to avoid or rather stop luffy from killing the gaint turtle. Then again we could say the movie has a different story line from the main series, so let's go to your thoughts on Haki being used at enies lobby by luFfy (please correct me if u said otherwise) now that's not haki he used either to start up the 2nd and the 3rd gear, if we recall the WB vs the Navy battle where coby had issues and was taken to the doctor the doctor said something about haven achieved one of the 3 skills usually honed and taught by the navy hence we have the Soru, Tekkai and one other I can't tell (cos I nor know), now the 1st place the haki was used in Op that I saw was when Shanks chased off the sea king after saving luffy and losing An arm, this ability will go unnamed till skypiea although they differed but were not known to have been similar by any chance at all. On the case of the war I feel that's on a whole new league of assumption, seen as people from the future may (emphasis on may) taken part in this war and aided what will become this WG into power (sorry this is what u get when u think on the spot u forget what u really wanted to say) and I am speaking here of Gol D Roger, considering that Reigleh said he knew what happened during d void century and insinuated that they were there, I think they aided a side to win (in good fate) and now that side became the WG which became the end of them. I am only thinking oh, as for those weapons I have no idea what the WG need them for in the 1st place.

The first explanation of Haki i learnt in OP was that some ppl discover too late of having the ability, but at a near death it manifests. During Lucci and Luffy's encounter, Luffy was exhausted and almost giving up when the Lier(Usopp) came to encourage him, and it took every ounce of energy he could muster to give the final blow. Like i said earlier, unknowingly.
Same happened at Impel Down when Luffy was near death at level5 with Bon Clay(mr.2) during the wolf attack after several dosage of poison had been administered by Mangallen, that was also unkonwingly.
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by decepticos(m): 9:16am On Oct 01, 2014
t12tosin:

The first explanation of Haki i learnt in OP was that some ppl discover too late of having the ability, but at a near death it manifests. During Lucci and Luffy's encounter, Luffy was exhausted and almost giving up when the Lier(Usopp) came to encourage him, and it took every ounce of energy he could muster to give the final blow. Like i said earlier, unknowingly.
Same happened at Impel Down when Luffy was near death at level5 with Bon Clay(mr.2) during the wolf attack after several dosage of poison had been administered by Mangallen, that was also unkonwingly.
I beg to differ the 1st hint to usage of haki by luffy was when he faced that Sanji look-alike who was the leader of the flying fish crew, he calmed the water buffalo without doing a thing, he literaly instilled fear in the poor animal, the other time was at amazon lily and the war to save Ace when he used conqueror's Haki, yes at both times he was near death but I don't recall him using it even at thriller back where he was almost dead and revamped with shadows, so him using haki at ennies lobby is not so oh, but I agree he may have used it at impel down.
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by t12tosin: 11:24am On Oct 01, 2014
Luffy was confident that his crew would take care of the rest after taking down the strongest opponent at Thriller Bark, but i will advice you to revisit episold 309, Rob Lucci was no ordinary foe/obstacle. At that time, Luffy was not even looking at wia or who he was handling his gatling gun to. He was incapacitated afterwards.
As for Thriller Bark, reason Luffy passed out was due to the activation of gear second and third at the same time, something he never did before n haven't done since...
But dont forget i said UNKOWNINGLY.
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by TopsyKrete: 3:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
t12tosin:

The void century...

Is anything amiss in the world?
Hmmm, i like the picture you painted above, lets see whether you'll like mine...

Sept. 11 2001, the world power made us believe Terrorist attacked some places in the usa; the world trade center, the pentagon and an attempt on the white house. Buh according to the 911 demolition, eventhough 2 boeing class plane crashed into the world trade center, the 3rd plane that crashed into the pentagon was said to have been vapourized with little trace as evidence.
My question is "is it possible for a boeing class plane collision with a place like pentagon vaporize?
Evidence indicated that series of explosions where heard during the collapse of the world trade center as if it was purposely demolished, but for what purpose?
All of a sudden, war on terrorism was declared, something acceptable to everyone but for whose gain?
Lets not forget the advent of weapon of mass destruction fabricated of being developed in Iraq, we all remember what became of those phantom weapons and that country?
Why is it that the presence of the west aggravated terrorist activities thereby increasing their numbers, strenght and tactics?

Don't you think the United States intentionally attacked her citizens inorder to invade another country? The result of which is causing terror groups around the world to go awire...

Just my thoughts...
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by Frankloon(m): 5:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
Hmm, theories ND more theories
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by TopsyKrete: 6:06pm On Oct 02, 2014
Share your thought about. 3D2Y
As for moi, its good, atleast i get to see ma favorite clown BAGGY senchur and Mr.3
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by landinfo: 11:22am On Oct 03, 2014
Culled from Orojackson.com

The man behind the most successful manga series
to have been published by Weekly Shonen Jump,
One Piece. Casual fans enjoy his work, dedicated
fans love and adore him, and die-hard fans call
him god. We dedicate this article to the
mastermind Eiichiro Oda. How much do you know
about him? How much more would you want to
know about him?

We'll tell you 10 things you
should know about Eiichiro Oda!

10. Eiichiro Oda's Birthday And Age

Let's begin with the basics, Eiichiro Oda was born
on January 1, 1975 in Kumamoto City, Kumamoto
Prefecture in Japan. As of May 2014, he is 39 years
old. Eiichiro Oda claimed that he resolved to
become a manga artist at age of four in order to
avoid having to get a "real job".

09. What Inspired Eiichiro Oda To Begin "One
Piece"

Undeniably, Oda was inspired by Akira Toriyama's
work (notably, Dragon Ball) and aspired to become
a manga artist. He also mentioned that his interest
in pirates was sparked by the popular TV
animation series called " Vicky the Viking".
Oda began his manga career in 1992 at the age of
17, when his one-shot cowboy manga Wanted! won
second place in the coveted Tezuka manga awards.
Oda went on to work as an assistant to some of the
biggest manga artists in the industry, including
Nobuhiro Watsuki, before winning the Hop Step
Award for new manga artists. His pirate adventure
One Piece, which debuted in Weekly Shonen Jump
magazine in 1997 quickly became one of the most
popular manga in Japan with sales of over 65
million copies.

08. One Piece! Favorite Villain, Devil Fruit &
Who He Would Want To Be?

Fans have been very curious to know the authors
thoughts on his own creation, who wouldn't want
to know who is his favorite character in his own
creation? Several fans asked these questions and
Eiichiro Oda has answered them:
Favorite One Piece Villain: Buggy The
Clown
What Devil Fruit Would He Eat: Bara Bara
No Mi / Chop-Chop Fruit
Manga Character He Would Like To Be:
Nico Robin (so that he could "sprout hands
and draw manga twenty times as fast."wink

07. Eiichiro Oda's Family

Yes, although he dedicates most of his time to One
Piece he does have a family! In 2002, he met Chiaki
Inaba, who played Nami during the Shonen Jump
Fiesta and the two started dating. In 2004, they got
married, and in 2006, he and his wife had a
daughter. He went for Nami eh... sorry all you
Robin fans! We can only imagine what great talent
their daughter will be born with, probably the best
mangaka of the next generation?
Eiichiro Oda's family (left), Eiichiro Oda's Wife
Chiaki Inaba (center, right)

06. Eiichiro Oda's Lifestyle

What does it take to be the best mangaka? Well,
certainly it takes lot of dedication, wish to know
more about how Oda lives out his everyday life? Do
note, some of the information related to his
lifestyle is from 2013, certain aspects of his lifestyle
may have changed now!
He is a smoker (in-fact, a chain smoker) and
fans believe this is due to the "stress"
involved in the profession
He prefers to work with the least amount of
assistants required, he prefers to draw
majority of the chapters himself
He has made it clear that he doesn't like to
copy and paste old art into new chapters, if
a event or events have already been
illustrated and needs to be re-used, he
draws them all over again
He wakes up at 5 am, works until 2 am (21
hours!) and sleeps from 2 am until 5 am (3
hours) on an average day
He "lives" in his workplace, his family visits
him at his workplace, and he spends an
average of one day with them without
having to work at the same time
When asked "how does he blow of stress"
Oda stated that he blows of stress by
"writing an interesting manga." When asked
"when does he feel the happiest" he
answered "while writing an interesting
manga"
He listens to "Soul" music at his workplace
When asked what is his schedule for the
week, he answered "three days of sketching
and three days of working on the final
piece"
Eiichiro Oda dreams about products that
can’t be made with present technology

05. Oda Is A Fan Of...

We are huge fans of Oda, right? But who is Oda a
fan of? Well, we'll inform you who Oda is a fan of
and what Oda loves when it comes to movies,
food, etc.
He highly respects mangaka Hiroyuki
Takei.
He is a huge fan of rapper Eminem.
He is a fan of singers Avril Lavigne, Bryan
Adams, Izumi Katou and Brook Benton.
His favorite music is '70s Soul Music
He is a fan of the following directors, actors
& actress: Quentin Tarantino, Tim Burton,
Akira Kurosawa, Hayao Miyazaki and Baz
Luhrmann.
He likes Hayao Miyazaki's animated works.
He is a fan of the Dragon Quest game
series.
His top three favorite movies are: Seven
Samurai, Young Guns and Nightmare
Before Christmas.
His favorite real pirate is Blackbeard
(Edward Teach).
He is a fan of Mexican Food.
He wishes to visit Mongolia, Maldives and
India at least once.
His favorite animals are big, gentle dogs.
He is not a fan of television programs, but
likes comedy shows.
He is a fan of Westerns movie genre.

04. Eiichiro Oda's Dedication To One Piece And
His Fans

With the series now going on for more than 15
years, it's given that Oda is dedicated to the series
as well as the fans who support him. But did you
know to what extent his dedication goes to? Well, if
you though his dedication ended with just working
21 hours a day, 6 days a week, you are wrong!
When Eiichiro Oda was hospitalized in 2013,
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto's mangaka) visited him
at the hospital and witnessed Oda drawing next
chapters of One Piece while being bedridden!

That's right, even being bedridden doesn't stop
him from working on One Piece, the only way to
keep him away is to knock him out with really
strong sleeping gas! If that isn't dedication, then I
frankly don't know what is. And it isn't because
Eiichiro Oda needs to work, he earns
approximately 2 Billion Yen (about 25 million U.S
Dollars) from the royalties related to One Piece
each year! He doesn't need to work, it's just his
dedication that keeps driving him forward even at
a place he ought to rest!

03. Eiichiro Oda Has Received Death Threats

If you thought mangakas were safe from death
threats... think again! Yep, in 2007 Eiichiro Oda
received not one or two, but roughly one hundred
threats (via e-mail) from a woman between
September to December.
The woman's husband was an assistant at Oda's
office who had been dismissed, the woman was
arrested in 2009. Well what did we learn from that?
Crazed wives of ex-assistants are scary... yep.

02. Eiichiro Oda's Future Plans

We all know One Piece is going to come to an end
sometime in the future, what does Oda have
planned after One Piece ends? Is he going to retire
and live the rest of his life comfortably? No!
Eiichiro Oda had stated that he would want to
create a robot (mecha) manga after One Piece
finishes, however he later stated that after One
Piece finishes he would like to take the same path
Toriyama did and create short-story manga. Once
a mangaka, always a mangaka!

01. Eiichiro Oda's Apology For A 2 Week Hiatus
Due To Hospitalization [2013]

Probably something every One Piece fan needs to
absolutely know. Eiichiro Oda was hospitalized
and treated for peritonsillar abscess, One Piece
was put on hiatus for 2 weeks, in #04 we showed
his dedication drawing while bedridden, but his
dedication to his fans just doesn't stop there. He
issued an apology for making fans wait "2 weeks"
to continue reading One Piece and the adventures
of Straw Hat Pirates. This is the complete extract of
the apology:
"I messed up! I put up with my illness for too long,
and my condition got worse. I apologize to all the
readers who were looking forward to the next
chapters, as well as to all the Straw Hats who were
really looking forward to wreaking some havoc.
But I'm currently going through some painful
treatment. The story was just about to take a new
turn, so I really really wanted you all to read the
next chapter as soon as possible. I know how long
two weeks can feel for all the shonen out there, but
please wait for just a bit longer. "
This coming from possibly the best mangaka of
our time, it truly made fans shed a tear for his
dedication and hard work, he also received
millions of get well soon wishes from fans around
the world. And to further show you Oda's
simplicity even after gaining such fame and wealth,
he almost cried after being "thanked" by fans for
his hard work back in 2009.

1 Like

Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by TopsyKrete: 12:27pm On Oct 03, 2014
Nairalandinfo post=/post/26828624:
Culled from Orojackson.com

The man behind the most successful manga series
to have been published by Weekly Shonen Jump,
One Piece. Casual fans enjoy his work, dedicated
fans love and adore him, and die-hard fans call
him god. We dedicate this article to the
mastermind Eiichiro Oda. How much do you know
about him? How much more would you want to
know about him?

We'll tell you 10 things you
should know about Eiichiro Oda!

10. Eiichiro Oda's Birthday And Age

Let's begin with the basics, Eiichiro Oda was born
on January 1, 1975 in Kumamoto City, Kumamoto
Prefecture in Japan. As of May 2014, he is 39 years
old. Eiichiro Oda claimed that he resolved to
become a manga artist at age of four in order to
avoid having to get a "real job".

09. What Inspired Eiichiro Oda To Begin "One
Piece"

Undeniably, Oda was inspired by Akira Toriyama's
work (notably, Dragon Ball) and aspired to become
a manga artist. He also mentioned that his interest
in pirates was sparked by the popular TV
animation series called " Vicky the Viking".
Oda began his manga career in 1992 at the age of
17, when his one-shot cowboy manga Wanted! won
second place in the coveted Tezuka manga awards.
Oda went on to work as an assistant to some of the
biggest manga artists in the industry, including
Nobuhiro Watsuki, before winning the Hop Step
Award for new manga artists. His pirate adventure
One Piece, which debuted in Weekly Shonen Jump
magazine in 1997 quickly became one of the most
popular manga in Japan with sales of over 65
million copies.

08. One Piece! Favorite Villain, Devil Fruit &
Who He Would Want To Be?

Fans have been very curious to know the authors
thoughts on his own creation, who wouldn't want
to know who is his favorite character in his own
creation? Several fans asked these questions and
Eiichiro Oda has answered them:
Favorite One Piece Villain: Buggy The
Clown
What Devil Fruit Would He Eat: Bara Bara
No Mi / Chop-Chop Fruit
Manga Character He Would Like To Be:
Nico Robin (so that he could "sprout hands
and draw manga twenty times as fast."wink

07. Eiichiro Oda's Family

Yes, although he dedicates most of his time to One
Piece he does have a family! In 2002, he met Chiaki
Inaba, who played Nami during the Shonen Jump
Fiesta and the two started dating. In 2004, they got
married, and in 2006, he and his wife had a
daughter. He went for Nami eh... sorry all you
Robin fans! We can only imagine what great talent
their daughter will be born with, probably the best
mangaka of the next generation?
Eiichiro Oda's family (left), Eiichiro Oda's Wife
Chiaki Inaba (center, right)

06. Eiichiro Oda's Lifestyle

What does it take to be the best mangaka? Well,
certainly it takes lot of dedication, wish to know
more about how Oda lives out his everyday life? Do
note, some of the information related to his
lifestyle is from 2013, certain aspects of his lifestyle
may have changed now!
He is a smoker (in-fact, a chain smoker) and
fans believe this is due to the "stress"
involved in the profession
He prefers to work with the least amount of
assistants required, he prefers to draw
majority of the chapters himself
He has made it clear that he doesn't like to
copy and paste old art into new chapters, if
a event or events have already been
illustrated and needs to be re-used, he
draws them all over again
He wakes up at 5 am, works until 2 am (21
hours!) and sleeps from 2 am until 5 am (3
hours) on an average day
He "lives" in his workplace, his family visits
him at his workplace, and he spends an
average of one day with them without
having to work at the same time
When asked "how does he blow of stress"
Oda stated that he blows of stress by
"writing an interesting manga." When asked
"when does he feel the happiest" he
answered "while writing an interesting
manga"
He listens to "Soul" music at his workplace
When asked what is his schedule for the
week, he answered "three days of sketching
and three days of working on the final
piece"
Eiichiro Oda dreams about products that
can’t be made with present technology

05. Oda Is A Fan Of...

We are huge fans of Oda, right? But who is Oda a
fan of? Well, we'll inform you who Oda is a fan of
and what Oda loves when it comes to movies,
food, etc.
He highly respects mangaka Hiroyuki
Takei.
He is a huge fan of rapper Eminem.
He is a fan of singers Avril Lavigne, Bryan
Adams, Izumi Katou and Brook Benton.
His favorite music is '70s Soul Music
He is a fan of the following directors, actors
& actress: Quentin Tarantino, Tim Burton,
Akira Kurosawa, Hayao Miyazaki and Baz
Luhrmann.
He likes Hayao Miyazaki's animated works.
He is a fan of the Dragon Quest game
series.
His top three favorite movies are: Seven
Samurai, Young Guns and Nightmare
Before Christmas.
His favorite real pirate is Blackbeard
(Edward Teach).
He is a fan of Mexican Food.
He wishes to visit Mongolia, Maldives and
India at least once.
His favorite animals are big, gentle dogs.
He is not a fan of television programs, but
likes comedy shows.
He is a fan of Westerns movie genre.

04. Eiichiro Oda's Dedication To One Piece And
His Fans

With the series now going on for more than 15
years, it's given that Oda is dedicated to the series
as well as the fans who support him. But did you
know to what extent his dedication goes to? Well, if
you though his dedication ended with just working
21 hours a day, 6 days a week, you are wrong!
When Eiichiro Oda was hospitalized in 2013,
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto's mangaka) visited him
at the hospital and witnessed Oda drawing next
chapters of One Piece while being bedridden!

That's right, even being bedridden doesn't stop
him from working on One Piece, the only way to
keep him away is to knock him out with really
strong sleeping gas! If that isn't dedication, then I
frankly don't know what is. And it isn't because
Eiichiro Oda needs to work, he earns
approximately 2 Billion Yen (about 25 million U.S
Dollars) from the royalties related to One Piece
each year! He doesn't need to work, it's just his
dedication that keeps driving him forward even at
a place he ought to rest!

03. Eiichiro Oda Has Received Death Threats

If you thought mangakas were safe from death
threats... think again! Yep, in 2007 Eiichiro Oda
received not one or two, but roughly one hundred
threats (via e-mail) from a woman between
September to December.
The woman's husband was an assistant at Oda's
office who had been dismissed, the woman was
arrested in 2009. Well what did we learn from that?
Crazed wives of ex-assistants are scary... yep.

02. Eiichiro Oda's Future Plans

We all know One Piece is going to come to an end
sometime in the future, what does Oda have
planned after One Piece ends? Is he going to retire
and live the rest of his life comfortably? No!
Eiichiro Oda had stated that he would want to
create a robot (mecha) manga after One Piece
finishes, however he later stated that after One
Piece finishes he would like to take the same path
Toriyama did and create short-story manga. Once
a mangaka, always a mangaka!

01. Eiichiro Oda's Apology For A 2 Week Hiatus
Due To Hospitalization [2013]

Probably something every One Piece fan needs to
absolutely know. Eiichiro Oda was hospitalized
and treated for peritonsillar abscess, One Piece
was put on hiatus for 2 weeks, in #04 we showed
his dedication drawing while bedridden, but his
dedication to his fans just doesn't stop there. He
issued an apology for making fans wait "2 weeks"
to continue reading One Piece and the adventures
of Straw Hat Pirates. This is the complete extract of
the apology:
"I messed up! I put up with my illness for too long,
and my condition got worse. I apologize to all the
readers who were looking forward to the next
chapters, as well as to all the Straw Hats who were
really looking forward to wreaking some havoc.
But I'm currently going through some painful
treatment. The story was just about to take a new
turn, so I really really wanted you all to read the
next chapter as soon as possible. I know how long
two weeks can feel for all the shonen out there, but
please wait for just a bit longer. "
This coming from possibly the best mangaka of
our time, it truly made fans shed a tear for his
dedication and hard work, he also received
millions of get well soon wishes from fans around
the world. And to further show you Oda's
simplicity even after gaining such fame and wealth,
he almost cried after being "thanked" by fans for
his hard work back in 2009.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by landinfo: 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2014
After yesterday'z chapta "the white city" whoeva is in doubt of ODA-Sensei'z prowress/ability as the BEST mangaka of all time, should go, live & die in Abysssssssss.......what a genius & beast of a writa.

Culled from Orojackson indirectly from Maganstream

Lost in Translation: Amber
Lead and Toxic Waste
Hello everyone, voxanimus here. This week's One
Piece was rather sui generis as far as One Piece
chapters go, and I thought I'd write up a little blurb
explaining, at least in part, the references and
allusions Oda-sensei was making, some of which
are not immediately apparent to non-Japanese
audiences. (Of course, the real reason I'm writing
this is that dino has done more than a few of these
sort of things by now and I can't let myself be
bested by the likes of him.)
First, though, I'd like to discuss the name of the
"amber lead" substance introduced in the chapter.
I was rather conflicted on how to translate this. The
Japanese word used by Oda is 珀鉛, one that, as far
as I know, does not exist anywhere else in Japanese
literature. It is not a known Japanese word and has
only really been used this one time in One Piece.
The first kanji in the word means "amber," as in
crystalline tree sap. The second kanji is a common
one and means "lead," as in the poisonous heavy
metal. The problem is that the kanji for "amber"
contains the radical 白, which means white, an
obvious nod to the actual whiteness of the
substance. Translating 珀 into English as amber
causes it to lose that nuance. Secondly, the
pronunciation of 珀鉛 is hakuen (はくえん), which is
actually a real Japanese word when written with
different kanji (白煙) one that means "white smoke."
Again, this is a reference to the whiteness of the
substance and the whitening it causes in those
poisoned by it. Ultimately, I was unable to find a
word that could capture both the "amber" and the
"white" nuances simultaneously and resorted to a
literal translation, along with the resolution to
explain the subtleties of the name separately.
Alright, let's move on to the actual content of the
chapter. I—and, looking at the comments, several
of our readers—was taken quite aback by the
graphic, frankly gory content of this week's chapter.
This is not the first time Oda-sensei has given a
central character a tragic past but it is perhaps the
first time he has done so so gruesomely. His
reasoning behind this grisly portrayal is, however,
probably more understandable once one realizes
the references underlying it.
Characters and entities in the world of One Piece
are often purposefully juxtaposed against one
another by Oda-sensei in an effort to critique or
call to attention aspects of the real world. The
Tenryuubito are a classic example of the ills of a
class system and feudalism; the World Government
is the archetypical example of a despotic military
tyrant, etc. Despite the seemingly childish
superficial appearance of the manga, One Piece is
surprisingly mature in the themes and motifs it
chooses to tackle. This week's chapter brought to
light a similar theme, one I daresay is close to the
heart of many Japanese.
First, a little historical background. Compared to
the rest of the world, Japan's industrial revolution
came very late and very rushed. The Tokugawa
Shogunate, a feudal government complete with
daimyo and shogun and samurai, continued
uninterrupted from the early 1600s up until several
years after the arrival of Commodore Perry's Black
Ships in 1853. Japan only began its Industrial
Revolution in 1870; most of the world's nations had
finished theirs by 1820. Japanese conquests of
Northern Asia including China and Russia in the
early 1900s further increased the need for modern
technology and the industrial infrastructure
required to produce it. Japan was able to meet this
demand, but at significant cost.
Pollution, particularly from mining operations,
went virtually unchecked as the need for metal for
the production of weaponry was paramount.
Cadmium runoff from the mines contaminated
nearby rivers, and water from the rivers was used
to irrigate nearby rice fields. The rice absorbed the
heavy metal and it began to accumulate in and
poison the people that were eating it. Two of the
most prominent symptoms of cadmium poisoning
are calcium depletion, which causes softening of
the bones—so much so that the entire body begins
to hurt—and anemia, which causes paleness of the
skin because of lack of blood. The pain all over the
body was severe enough that cadmium poisoning
was named "itai-itai byou" (イタイイタイ病) in Japanese,
which literally translates to "ow-ow disease."
At this point this should all sound rather familiar.
It's no coincidence that the genesis and symptoms
of amber lead poisoning in One Piece pretty much
exactly mirror those of the real-life cadmium
poisoning that occurred in Japan in the early 20th
century. I cannot be certain, but I would venture a
fair guess that this historical incident was what
Oda-sensei was referencing in this week's chapter.
In fact, itai-itai disease is just one of the Four Big
Pollution Diseases (四大公害病, yondai kougaibyou) that
plagued Japan in the first half of the twentieth
century as a result of mismanagement of toxic
industrial waste. The first, itai-itai disease, predates
the other three, which occurred in the late 50s and
early 60s, by 40 or so years. Those interested in
reading further should check out the Wikipedia
article on the topic.
Well, that ended up being less of a blurb and more
of an essay, so for those of you that have made it
this far, I thank you for your patience. Feel free to
ask any questions you may have on this issue or
other things relating to One Piece and its
translation in the comments, I'll be around to
answer them. Also, if you liked this, and would be
interested in reading more blog posts like it, do let
me know.
- voxanimus

3 Likes

Re: One Piece (anime/manga) by decepticos(m): 9:15pm On Oct 10, 2014
Sorry to say but Oda must be mad or great, I mean Trafalgar D Watel Law, the 1st thing I said is what the bloody hell, how in the name of story writing was he able to keep us in the dark on this or this is just a spur of the moment thing, I mean the will of D, two people of that kind fighting against Donflamingo. Oh yes Corazon had to just speak, his warning in one word; scary.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (71) (Reply)

Breaking News: See What ‘killed’ Ramsey Noah / Top 20 Strongest Naruto Characters. Do You Agree With The List? / Gulder Ultimate Search 11 Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.