Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

What Lurks In The Dark - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Lurks In The Dark (32884 Views)

Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) / The Dark Tommorow / The Dark Side Of “christ Embassy” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:27pm On Nov 24, 2013
Daniel2802: Its getting more intersting by the day.

YEAH thanks man, you always around to kip me encouraged-
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by SPLENDIDFLOZZY: 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
Oh my! Cnt bliv i av mised so much.... Anyway it's gud 2 b bk... Getin tough by each update. Hapy sunday jay, hop der wil b an update 2day?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
RAFIC: I think it's high time I commented..... U'r realy good bro. Jst I dnt believe in ghosts. Bt finally its a nice story.

Thank you Rafic.
well its not so ghosty
i also did not believe in ghost until i had...

well that will come up in my next story- CHRONICLES OF THE SPECTRES AND the GHOST DAIRY-

but that will be much later- well ghost are real, but its also fine if u dont believe-

we believe in God and the devil, this personalities are not mortals- well ill stop here 'cause it seems im already preaching a ghost sermon- (LOLLZ)

Thanks
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:42pm On Nov 24, 2013
SPLENDIDFLOZZY: Oh my! Cnt bliv i av mised so much.... Anyway it's gud 2 b bk... Getin tough by each update. Hapy sunday jay, hop der wil b an update 2day?

FLOZZY! Bin a while, welcome tho-

happie sunday to, mine is a burst of spontaneous efferescence recaptured in friskies-

for update today- (sad face) u knw wat dat means

lets see what happens later tonite-
THANKS
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 1:38pm On Nov 24, 2013
Just back from church.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 4:04pm On Nov 26, 2013
EPISODE 58

I starred into the message before me in amazement. Sandra was also looking at the same direction. I knew that she perceived things just the way I did.
Suddenly my hands began to shake as a chicken drenched in the rain, gradually at first until it became pathetically obvious. The IPAD danced on my palms.

This was a product of my inner fear, locked up behind the solid bars of my repression.

I counted it a sign of weakness to allow a girl discover my fears.

I quickly tapped the delete button represented by the image of a refuse bin at the top of the message. Without wasting any further second, I dropped the phone on the tiny space between Sandra and me.

I cracked my fingers to bring them back to life.

Afterwards, I turned and looked at her, making my eyes speak volumes; but her face was so blank of reply, or better said, they looked rather discouraging.

She grabbed her pillow from her left and squeezed it tightly on her bosom with her two hands, clenching it without mercy.
I observed her for a short while; afterwards I did the same.

We were still sitting with backs rested on the neck of the bed, mopping into the secrets hidden in-between thin air.

I broke the silence.
‘Now that the priest has confessed to taking the license, I guess there is hope that he is still on our side…’

‘David, that is been optimistic, however it’s still a terrible self-deceit.’ She began.
‘Did you not read the later end of the message where the priest said on a prayerful note-
‘I pray you will survive’?’ she raised her brow.

Of course, I read it. I was only trying to reduce the tension the message had created. Could she not see it? I questioned in my mind.

She continued.
‘That is no iota of hope; rather it speaks of the evil coming upon us in a sudden. So great, that he has no power to stop it.’

‘It is likely that the empire is already aware of Capon’s death and has ordered no exit or something like that. You cannot tell if Salami is aware of this development or not. For the fact that Scorpion knows about it, then the whole empire does. Moreover, who else would be the prime suspect?’

‘The priest cannot claim it, and neither can he push it on anybody. He may believe that the spirits had pushed you to do it, but who would take that bunch of deceit?
We are the prime suspect and it cannot be anybody else.
Even if scorpion acts suspiciously as he had started in the hallway, it is still no sufficient prove to say that he murdered them.’

‘This is a cult and not a law court where matters are twisted based on canny arguments.
Everything falls back to us, and the next moment they will push down this door, spin our head from our body and crush us for breakfast.’

‘Come to think of it, what is the most polite way of telling someone to his face that ‘you will die’? Could it be more polite than the way the priest had said it? ‘I pray you will survive it’?’

I was surprised at her deep analysis. I knew deep down that that was the bitter and inevitable truth.

She continued.
‘This is a cult where no one would want to act suspiciously, not even the priest. No one is indeed greater than his fellow brother in cultism, that’s why it is cultism. Maybe you do not know- cultism is only a synonym for brotherhood.’

‘So you can see that even if the priest was moved by compassion previously, his compassion can never be greater than his vows to the cult, except he is ready to face the evils that accompanies rebellion. I tell you it is death or worse.
I strongly feel it that the priest feels for us is nothing but pity, and you know that pity cannot stand challenges, pity cannot stand fire, it will melt like wax!’

‘Now back to the message. He told us to sleep so that we could have strength to face what is coming. Can you not see that all that lies in our tomorrow is nothing but evil?!’

She became more passionate.
‘Yet it’s the spirits that pushed you to act foolishly, in as much as I would not like to bank on that, that has become our major problem here. And now the spirits are locked up in the mortuary, impotent of help. They cannot help us, neither can they help themselves.’

My heart beat increased, maybe you know why

She continued.
‘I was thinking that all the priest would have done was just to walk us out of this empire through a secret passage before daybreak and off we go forgetting all what we ever saw, all the slaps we ever received, all the fears our fragile heart ever carried, and all the..’
Her voice broke down with passion.
She tried to control the inner burst of emotions by taking a short pause.
I shook my head, fixing my watery eyes on her, shackled in pity.

‘…But here we are terribly perplexed and distressed in dire complexities’
She shook her head. I did not have to taste her tongue, I knew by instinct that they were very bitter with agony, and so was mine too.

This was the moment I had tried to avoid. I never wanted this feeling, and definitely this water that blurs my vision, aches my heart and causes my nose to run down in streams. I never wanted the further reaction that squeezes my face into tiny drops of sorrowful tears, leaving me aching in groans that cannot be understood by men.
But there I sat fastening my fist together, building my defenses, suppressing my fears.

‘No Sandra, let us look at the other side, let us be optimistic, a miracle can happen no matter what’ I said in a soft tune, trying to balm her heart.

‘Come close’ I called to her, holding her in my arms by her shoulder. She still held her pillow, and it crushed against my bosom.

We stayed in silence, just swallowing back or tears. But that didn’t last for me, things changed, my head began to bang seriously, I began to feel terribly sleepy, I had barely slept all through this miserable night.

My eyes swole up and became unbearably heavy. For the first time in the empire that night, I felt my eyes heavier than my problems.

I did not know how to tell Sandra that I wanted to sleep badly. It was not that I suddenly stopped been afraid, but I felt that taking the opportunity of a bed while I had one was a fine idea. Little did I know about the twist the future would bring-

‘David, just say something, my head is thinking so many things at a goal’ she said, as she pulled out from my embrace.
She sat up again resting her back on the neck of the bed.

I just wanted to tell her it was bedtime. However since she wants a conversation, I felt that it was the best time to ask her about her parents.

‘Please can you tell me about your parents, you evaded it the other time’ I asked carefully.

Her mood suddenly transformed into irritation.
‘My parents? I think you should just forget it!’ she snapped.

I could not hold back my surprise. Her reaction anyway told me that there was something interesting about her family. It would lead me to understand how and why we were abducted.

‘Did they offend you before you traveled, I think if they did you should just forgive them, you know parents could be so annoying at times, but it behooves on us to forgive. You know, that phyla feeling of family love is always there’ I tried to end in a lightened mood.

‘David I said I do not want to talk about my parents!’ she snapped.

The sudden tenor in her voice was frightful. I had never heard her talk so mean.
‘But what could be so bad?’ I asked my self, puzzled.

‘But-’ I tried to press a bit further.

‘David!’ she yelled, her eyes wide open in threat.
‘If you don’t have something to say then forget it; there is no way I am going to tell you anything about my family, Never’

‘But-’ I tried to press further.

‘I think you should just shut up!’ she yelled.

It was a command and I obeyed.

The next moment the loudest sound I heard, was my heart thumping like the shoes of thousands of battalions matching to battle.

I shivered, but it was initial.
I found no reason why she should shout at me, I kept nothing back from her, so why should she keep back anything. I thought she had said that she loved me. well, maybe I forgot to ask her,
‘You love me, but for how long, or how deep?’ I think that would have been most appropriate.

I looked at her with disgust, and turned away immediately.

She was silent for minutes and so was I.
‘I am sorry’ she said after sometime

‘There is no need to be sorry’ I snapped, ready to fight her.

I grabbed my pillow angrily, and backed her, grumbling beneath.
She must be out of her senses!

‘Puh-lease…’ she tried to beg.

‘Your voice is a cacophony of zenith vexation; please you can just like to shut up!’ I barked

‘David but I said I am sorry I was not just in the mood’ she pleaded in nags.
As if that was not enough, she went further to pull my arms to her self.

I ignored her for sometime allowing her to pull and push me. When I saw that she was not giving up, I shouted at her again-

‘Sandra!’

It was more of a threat. I had made up my mind that she was going to pay for shouting at me, more so I really wanted her to tell me about her parents I knew for sure that it had strong attachments to our abduction.

‘This is not fair’ she said in a wailing voice.

‘You weren’t fair and it’s not my fault so please just leave me alone!’

‘You know girls, we could be…’ she tried to say

‘Emotional and irrational at times, yes I know’ I completed ending it with a loud sigh.

She paused.

After some time-
‘All right I know where it pinches, I will tell you about my parent’

This was the reason for my anger. I smiled, I was backing her so there was no way she could see my face, or so I thought.

She gave a wild laughter,
‘I can see your face stretching, oh my God you are smiling!’ she shouted in excitement.

I felt embarrassed, she had caught me red-handed and it was a big shame.
I quickly turned and faced her.
‘Does it look like I am smiling’ I tried to be hard, squeezing my lips to form a frown.

That did not work. Rather she laughed the more; pointing two of her tiny fingers into my face in a tease-

‘I see laughter hiding beneath your fake frown, oh my jeez, I see it, you are smiling! There it is…hohoho’ she jeered.

I could not resist her gleeful tease; it broke down my frown like a virus. My lips stretched out into broad smile until it became a very large grin struggling to expand.

Her white teeth sparkled like the Milky Way in-between two succulent red lips that pushed out her tow puffy cheeks, so fresh and plump as a ripe avocado. On it were two valleys of dimples, so sweetly carved to speed up seduction. Her round shoulders moved forward in giggles… The next moment we were both giggling at our childishness.

‘You are such are naughty boy!’
She pushed a tiny finger on my lips. There was an internal spark.

‘Naughty girl’ I responded doing the same.
We grinned and teased some more.

‘I was raised by a single parent…’ she began
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 5:26pm On Nov 26, 2013
Am feeling u bro

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by harrinhurla(f): 10:40am On Nov 27, 2013
Wow!!! Like seriously I'm short of words,I've been on nairaland for some months now but I've never commented on any story,but this one I MUST comment...well done jay,I love this,more greece to your elbow..,next episode pleaseee
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by SPLENDIDFLOZZY: 1:40pm On Nov 27, 2013
Weldone.... Getin interestin day by day
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:32pm On Nov 27, 2013
harrinhurla: Wow!!! Like seriously I'm short of words,I've been on nairaland for some months now but I've never commented on any story,but this one I MUST comment...well done jay,I love this,more greece to your elbow..,next episode pleaseee

I feel honored to have your first comment on my story-
thanks a lot, ur comment is the greace u speak of-

the next episode comes immediately
59 and 60 combined

Thanks-
;-)
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:33pm On Nov 27, 2013
SPLENDIDFLOZZY: Weldone.... Getin interestin day by day

Thanks Flozzy--
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
EPISODE 59 and 60

‘I was raised by a single parent and that person is my mom. However, by this time last week, that is to say, Thursday, everything around me suddenly changed; starting from my dotting mother, down to the lifeless wall of my room…’

‘This time last week sounds soooo familiar…’ I interrupted

‘It should not sound any familiar to you, because it was an epic of evil. Although it was meant to be a good one, because it was my birthday; but things happen and this is just one’

And that was it!
This was too big to be a coincidence-
‘I cannot believe that we are birthday mates!’ I spilled out in joy

‘You’ve got to be kidding me!’ she yelled in awe-excitement.

‘This is lovely Cassandra, so how old are you? Well, without asking I know that I am older’ I ended with a smile.

‘Look at you, what do you mean?’

‘Well I meant that you should just answer the question and prove me right’

‘Well you go first’

There was nothing in my age to hide, I knew that I would be older, no mater what, at least with a year.
‘I am seventeen’ I said proudly.

She burst into billowing laughter.
I felt mildly irritated.
‘Why are you laughing’ I asked in a soft voice, trying to suppress my irritation.

She covered her mouth in a gesture to kill the laughter, after ending with some scoffs, she spoke out-
‘Its funny, really funny… you sound so sure that you are older than me, and here I am older than you by one whole year’
She pushed her first finger UP, demonstrating ONE.

What was the big deal it was just one year!
‘So you mean that you are eighteen?’ I said in jealous tone.

‘Well if you are good with mathematics’ then you should have solved it by now’ she scoffed.

She was feeling her self too much; I must cut down her wings.
‘Well, I caught you, I lied before that I was seventeen, I am actually nineteen’ I said.
It was a big lie, but what do I care.

‘You are nineteen for real?’
She burst into laughter again.
It was embarrassing
‘Why are you laughing, you think I am lying?’ I yelled in guilt.

‘Do you have stunted growth, or it is just how you are?’

‘What do you mean?’ I asked getting more impatient.

‘I mean that all the guys I know that are eighteen or nineteen at most, have handsome beards. But all you have are some cytoplasmic strands, so tiny that I bet that the microscope would have to strain her eyes to see them’

That was a big bomb, but I knew that anger would be unnecessary at the moment, so I jettisoned the feeling.

‘Or you had a clean shave?’ she teased further, raising half of her brow, with a half smile on one-half of her face.

‘Well I suppose that what is happening to me is consequential to my deepest fears of not wanting beards. Unlike my peers who wanted it so badly, mine was different.
Some of my peers applied mentholated spirits to stimulate the growth, among other madness.
But I did not fancy the madness. The idea of shaving and having bombs struggling for survival on my face was out of it; I never liked it I grew up with that notion, and here I am stunted of the growth of beards.’

She chuckled.

‘I thought you would have been angry, well you just passed my test of maturity’

‘You mean that you were testing me?’

‘What does it mater, you passed already’ she pushed me a little.

‘All right, that’s great then, so now you know I am matured right?’

‘Hmmm, yeah, but not completely, you do not have beards yet’ she winked

‘And your breasts are not yet full enough, in fact they are not matured. If they were to be a mango, they would be still be green by now’
Jeez!I did not know when I said that. I almost covered my mouth in shock.

She laughed over it, and that was soothing.
‘Well, I am an endomorph, and you do not expect me to be as busty as a mama Bomboy, or you like girls really busty?’

‘I do not know what I like’ I said, trying to kill the subject.

‘But are mine indeed small?’

‘Can we change the topic please?’ I offered semi-fed-up.
I always brought to the lime light the romantic mood, but on the contrary, I am still the first person to bolt

‘No answer my question before I change it’ she insisted

‘Are you trying to draw my attention to your…’ the word was bigger than my mouth this time.

‘Well it already have your attention’

‘It? As-in? No! What do you mean?’

‘Idiot’ she cursed, grinning.

‘You are spoilt!’ I said almost in laughter.

‘I agree, but you will bet that you are more spoilt because I did not know how your eyes got to my…’

‘Just kill it there, don’t mention it’ I interjected.

‘Better, then do not look for trouble again’

‘Trouble, you mean this kind of trouble?’

‘Em, not really, this kind of trouble is not really a bad idea, or what do you think?’ she winked.

‘Well I’m not sure I’m having this conversation right now, we were talking about your…’

‘Yeah, we did not have the conversation, and that ends it’ she said in a neutral mood.

‘That’s fine’

‘So tell me your age I mean your true age.’ She asked.

‘All right, I was just teasing you, I am seventeen. I am a Christian, and lying is not me- I mean...’

‘Fine, I got it pastor!’ she snapped, closing my lips with the first finger, on her right hand.

‘I am eighteen and I am older’

‘Oh it’s fine, just continue with your story’ I said not wanting to argue any further.

SANDRA

‘That’s okay. But before I continue the story, it is important that I tell you this-‘

When I said that I was raised by a single parent it was actually out of anger, and I say that quite often because it is semi-true.’

I had a dad, but he was not my father. My mom said that she had married him after my father had died. She said that my father had died when I was three years old, sure I could not remember anything then.
However, my question had always been, why would my mother make such a big mistake as to marry such an irresponsible man. I could not call him my father, not even stepfather.

He was a traveler, he hardly stayed at home, and whenever he comes back, he is always flirting with women. In fact, he has another wife in Kaduna where we stayed. The woman has two girls for him. He was also a terrible drunkard, but he does that indoors.

He wasn’t a poor man at all, probably if he was, he would have been a better man. He was the CEO of his own company. He deals in distribution of petroleum and gas. In fact, he has two gas plants in Kaduna, and a filling station.
It could be deduced from that that his wealth was what bought my mother over

He placed my mom on salary; about Five Hundred Thousand Naira per month, but his money could not bribe me. I did not like the way he cheated on my mom and showed her no love.
My mom was a hard working woman she did not let the money-pamper of her husband to spoil her, she still worked as an accountant in a small firm.

I have two younger sisters; stepsisters actually, they are ten and twelve.

Now all those are just backdrops. What really got me upset with my mom was the bitter truth she told me on the eve of my birthday.-
She said that she was not my mother and that my mother had abandoned me ever since I was three. She said that the idiot lives in Lagos.

‘I never wanted to tell you, I took my time to pay the price of bringing you up’ she began.
‘I do not want to loose you, so far as I am concerned I am still your mother. I washed your diapers, I brought you up; I trained you in school… I did everything I could to bring you up, and you can attest to that’ She said soberly.

I was shocked to my bones as she spilled out those emotional words. To me all she was saying was gibberish. I could not believe that she was not my biological mother, I looked like her, although not too much, but the likeness was there. She loved me and I knew that, it was so unbelievable!

I spoke out in-between tears.
‘I look like you; you cannot tell me that I am not your child! At least it was enough to take when you told me on my eight years birthday that the man I had been living with all my life calling ‘daddy’ was not my biological father. Was that not enough? What is this gibberish that you are feeding me with? Please tell me this it is a joke, please!’ I yelled at her.

‘Sandra, I am sorry and you just have to believe me. I told you the first part of the story when you were eight, because I did not know how you would have felt if I had told you everything at once. I waited all these years to tell you the other part. Will you crucify me for telling you the truth? Or have I done wrong by telling you?’

I could not contain it. The family I had been so attached to all my life, all of a sudden turned into a strange place. I could not imagine what kind of idiot gave birth to me. It was such a shame!

After I had cried a little, I begged her to tell me more about my birth and her abduction.

She could not really say anything substantial, she was just crying and all the words that came from her mouth was ‘sorry, I know it is hard, but here is the truth’

I could not live a day in that house conveniently so I begged her to allow me go visit my uncle in Lagos. I needed time to think, and probably ask my uncle about my parent.

That was how I got on the bus, and found my self in this place, you can see that life has poured on me two cups of vinegar.
…………………
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2013
cont-

Her eyes were watery, but she quickly cleaned it as soon as she noticed.

‘Take it easy dearie’ I comforted.

‘It’s fine. I never wanted to dig it up, but you insisted. I just wanted to be happy. Since then, I went for whatever could make me happy, so I could forget the tragedy.
That was why when I saw you in the bus; I made a concrete relationship with you. Apart from the fact that I found you irresistibly handsome, it was still part of my purpose of pursuing happiness.’

‘Its fine Sandra, I know its hard, really I do not know what to say, but its like I am saying something already, all I want you to get from my weird speech is that I feel what you feel and I am truly sorry that such ugly experiences can happen to such a beautiful girl as you. But sometimes life hands us what we do not bargain for, my lady, I’m truly sorry’
My face was clouded with emotions.

She smiled all through my speech, I was so glad that I somehow I had uplifted her soul.

‘David its fine, thank you, you are weird, but I like you that way, you have just brought my spirit back to life’ she smiled the more.

‘Oh it’s my pleasure dear. Don’t think about it anymore, let us face what we have here, then afterwards we can face what we have outside there.’

‘Who knows maybe it was my fathers plan or even my mothers… maybe she wants to dispose me’ she said almost in a murmur.

There she was thinking towards the right direction, but there was no way I was going to let her go towards that way. The emotional trauma would be too much on her

I reacted as if what she said had struck me so hard.
‘How dare you think towards that direction?’ I scolded her at once, wearing a thick face.

‘Oh do not scold me too soon dear, you know that when frustration clouds a woman’s face, she barely see things the way they are. You may just have to look at things from other angles when the one perceived does not make sense’ she spoke sorrowfully.

‘I know you are emotional, but even at that there are things you must never think of, your parents love you, even if they are not your real parents. They can never do this to you. This is the work of some evil men; do not try that direction it is from the pit of hell, from Hades!’

She sobbed a little, pressing her pillow harder on her bosom.
‘I know that it is preposterous to think towards that direction, but I did not even know what made me to think that way’

‘No problem, I understand. Many things happen when people are emotional’ I comforted.

She nodded. Her eyes were still clouded with tears.

Suddenly it came hard on me that there was no point keeping back the road to the truth, I do not have to tell her, I could just make her figure it out herself. If I do not tell her now, or give her inkling, she would eventually get to know when we get through this.
Just then, I found the right spot to place my tripod stand.

‘Your journey to Lagos was it your idea or your mom’s’

She twisted her finger a little as if searching for how to begin.
‘Actually, I told my mom two days after my birth day; that was on Saturday. I told her that I would love some privacy. There was a lot I needed to figure out my self, and she got the point right away. She said that it was fine, but this was how she had put it-

‘Yeah I have been thinking about that to, and in fact we have been making arrangements for you’

So it was not hundred percent my idea she had been making plans already.

‘We? Who is ‘we?’ I had asked.

‘Oh, colloquialism again catching up with me, I mean myself, just me’ she responded absurdly.

‘Or do you mean dad?’ I had asked, not believing her completely

‘No, just me, have you begun to twist my horn in the thicket of my own colloquialism?’
That was always her silencing words in the face of grammatical blunder.

‘You can continue mom’ I had told her.

‘Actually I would love you to go and stay with your uncle in Lagos, the one that stays at Victoria Island’

‘Uncle Soji you mean?’ I had asked excitedly

She nodded in the affirmative.

‘Actually Soji was not his name, it was the name I had given him because he was social and outgoing. It’s a Yoruba slang meaning social and outgoing.
I was so excited about it.
‘When am I leaving?’

‘Plans are still in place’ she replied.

‘Who are those making the plans?’

‘Those making the plans? Are you throwing my colloquialism at me again?’

‘The way you say it is as if other people are involved, and it’s really sounding awkward’

‘You know it has not been easy on me’ she had tried to excuse herself.

‘If it’s about things not been easy I should be the one nagging’

‘So you mean that I am nagging?’ she frowned narrowing her eyes at me.

‘I am sorry’ I apologized.
However, I knew that it was her own way of deflecting.

After some seconds she continued.
‘I do not know the exact day you will be leaving, but I can assure you that it will be soon. I will just make some contacts with him and some others and then I would fix a date for you’

‘I can’t wait to leave Kaduna!’ I said anxiously

‘I understand’

‘But why are you sending me to uncle Soji, when you could simply send me to my real mother’s place after all you said that she lives at Lagos’

‘Sweet heart I knew your mother then, but we have lost contact. In fact, I do not even know if she is still alive. I did not know why she hated you. She called you an unwanted child. She wanted to kill you but I saw that you were so beautiful aside that you looked somehow like me. Then I was having no child, so I took you. I loved you ever since and you know that I gave you the best a mother could give. Do not forget that I am now your mother. It is me, please forget about her’ she spoke soberly.

‘I know that you have been good to me, I know, but I want to see my mother! I am not saying that I want to pack away and start living with her. You brought me up, trained me and sent me to school. You have done a lot. However, you are only standing in the gap. I want to see my mother; I want to see her face. I may kill her, shout on her, hug her, I may do anything to her, but I want to see her. More than anything, I want to know why she threw me away. You said that I was beautiful, why would she throw a beautiful child away, I need to find out many things from her’

‘Sandra I said that you were unwanted’ she said with a bit of frustration.

‘I have heard that, but I want to see my mother!’ I nagged.

‘I said that I have lost contacts with her years back, why are you trying to make me feel guilty’ she said almost bursting into tears.

‘You should feel guilty, why should you loose contact with my mother? Don’t you know that one day I will get to know and definitely no matter how bad, spoilt or irresponsible she is I would still want to see her, did you not envision it?’

‘Sandra’ she called in-between sobs.

‘Answer my question!’

‘I never wanted to loose you and there was nothing that connected me to your mom again, she was so obnoxious I could not bare her ruthlessness, she was disgusting. I bet you would not like her!’

‘I think you are already loosing me’ I spoke bluntly.

‘Please do not do anything funny, you know that I have loved you, you are mine sweetie, sweetie you are mine, please just try to understand.’ She sobbed the more.

I watched her sober face with pity, and the next thing she collapsed on her kneels begging me, her eyes soaked in tears.
I did not know what to say so I just joined her in sobbing.

We sobbed for sometime. Afterward she stood up and went for the door.
I began to feel bad that she was walking away from me when I needed her most-
‘Is this the best time to walk away?’ I called behind her, my eyes clouded with tears.

.she turned and as her saw, her red eyes my heart burned, but it was not my fault so I did not let it to bother me so long.

‘There was something I forgot to give you; it was part of your birthday present’

‘What birthday present is more important than the talk we are having right now?’ I shot at her angrily.
She looked at me and walked out without saying a word.

Already she had given me a Plasma TV as my birthday gift, which I was yet to install in my room.
Dad had dropped fifty thousand for me; that was the only thing he knew how to give, he never gives attention.

The next moment she came in with a picture in her hand.

‘What picture is that?’ I asked as I flew out from my bed’

‘It’s your moms’ she said

A hurtful tear rolled down my eyes as I saw the young girl of about 21. She was fair and pretty, I did not really look like her. When I had asked why, she said that I looked more like my father, her boyfriend, and that was one of the main reasons why she never liked me. She said that my father was not responsible and had abandoned her, so she in turn abandoned the child, which was I.

If my true father was not responsible, and my fake father was same, then I think I have a luck of bad fathers, it was destiny.

Somehow the picture she had handed me, looked very familiar, but I could not place things together.

I clung the picture to my breast and cried all day. My mom did not go to work. She stayed with me at home. Although she did not stay in my room all day, her presence in the house was comforting.

That picture was so important to me, in fact I kept it in the small traveling bag I traveled with; another strange thing is that I have lost the bag.

‘It’s with volturis- I said (David)
‘I just pray we will recover it that is if it was not abandoned on the road. My remorse again Sandra, I am truly sorry that you had to pass through all these ugly experiences.’

She nodded; she could not utter a word. Her mind was heavy with emotion.
‘So why were you on your way to Lagos?’

‘To see my uncle of course. Although I had the thought of secretly investigating my mother’s existence’

‘You have gone through a lot’ I confessed

‘Yes a lot, but what lays ahead looks worse’

‘I nodded’

She did not know the whole truth and she said that, what of if she does?
By all indications, I suspected her mother were in the same cabal with my parents which are linked to Volturis.

It was hard to take, but I began to understand that Volturis was not just the underground feature made of blocks and expensive tiles, but that there were other structures which were made of flesh and blood lurking in the streets, starting from my parents….’
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Mynd44: 9:02pm On Nov 27, 2013
Interesting
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by adegwurulez(m): 9:54pm On Nov 27, 2013
*following* still in the first page, u guys should wait for me o
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 6:20am On Nov 28, 2013
keep up the good work.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 11:27pm On Nov 29, 2013
@ Mynd - thanks Bro, first tym comment, u welcome to my haven-

@ Ade- oya we r watin-
u welcome to my haven as well

@Daniel- my mainest man, thanks-
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by harrinhurla(f): 1:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
Following......
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 3:40am On Dec 01, 2013
jayloyexten:

@Daniel- my mainest man, thanks-
I got your back always.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by tonyxxx(m): 6:25pm On Dec 02, 2013
AMAZING... Dats wat ur story is,simply MIND~BLOWING & AMAZING.... Hv been a silent follower & i say more greese to ur elbow aswell as more muses to inspire ur creativity.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:00am On Dec 03, 2013
tonyxxx: AMAZING... Dats wat ur story is,simply MIND~BLOWING & AMAZING.... Hv been a silent follower & i say more greese to ur elbow aswell as more muses to inspire ur creativity.

thanks a lot Mr. Tony.
i appreciate the fact that u came out of your shell...
that on its own is a liter of grease and a plethora of muses...
kip ff-
the story comes to an end soon.
Thanks.

to others-

expect some TRAGEDY coz this story raps up soon-
the next episode is ready but cant really post it now;
some itches...
expect it 2mao- early hours.
well, its climax and a lil tragedy...
get ready
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 2:21am On Dec 03, 2013

How do I tell Sandra that her parent belong to a secret cult and have abducted her to eat her flesh, how would I convince her?

How else could I explain her mother’s monopoly of the timing of her journey? How could I explain her unrealistic journey to Lagos, how could I tell her that it was just like mine?

Where are the other people that were in the bus together with us; the screaming woman, the men, others apart from the guardians, where did they all go? Are they dead, or are they in some room as we are? Did a family member also betray them?

I turned and looked at Sandra, she had lost her spark, I felt sorry for making her so emotional, so perplexed, but did I really have a choice?

‘What year did you start attending The Spirit and the Blood Ministry?’
I began

‘Oh about three years from now’ she replied slavishly.

‘That is about the same time I joined as well, I mean my family and I’

‘Well that’s just coincidence’ she shrugged, seeing no big deal.
I wish she understood where I was driving at.

‘Around what time did you leave home for the motor park?’

‘Oh c’mon Dave what kind of question is this? We were on the same night bus. Did I still have to say that I left my house in the evening?’

‘No. Not that really, I meant that…’

‘Wait! I think I now understand your question…’ she interjected ‘but what is the implication of this?’
She immediately loosed her grip from the pillow and let it fall on her laps. Afterwards she interlocked her fingers in a show of surprise; knuckling one finger by each second.

‘Yes I left in the evening but I was supposed to leave in the morning. Actually, I fancied the idea of traveling at night. However, mom insisted that I travel by day. Her reasons were quite explicit; uncle does not like the idea. And that was all.’

‘Your uncle? You mean pastor Salami’ I shot her a sarcastic gaze.

‘Pastor Salami is not my uncle! I don’t like that joke’ she pouted in mild anger.

I wish she knew that I was serious.

‘I am sorry, but you mean your journey was scheduled for morning and you eventually traveled at night…’ I fell back to the neutral.

‘Yes. The night before I was to travel, that is three days back, my mom received a strange call. I heard a familiar male voice speaking over the phone, although I did not hear what he said, or what he was saying, I could still pick the texture of his voice’
‘I was eavesdropping at the entrance of the door that led to the children parlor where she was staying.
As I appeared immediately after the call, she flinched with fear. I could read panic all over her face. It was absurd, because she was not the fearful type.

In my surprise, I asked her why she suddenly flinched.

‘I have been having night mares for days and its really freaking me out!’ she said romancing her brow.

‘Nightmares, how?’

‘It’s all about you; I could not stand the emotional distress you have been going through. I always have terrible dreams, that you travel to Lagos and refused to comeback, or that something terrible happens to you, you know I am so into you. It is freaking me that everything scares me, this is not the best time to snick on me’

‘But I did not snick on you’

‘Oh you scared me, you appeared like a ghost’
She lifted her two hands in opposition.

‘I am sorry if I did’
I had quickly apologized.

‘Its okay, just assure me that you will not run away from me’
She spoke with heavy emotions. I was already melting-

‘Oh mom do not let us address this issue again, it is over, and please let it be!’
I raised my voice.

‘Its okay love’

After some seconds-

‘You are no more traveling tomorrow morning; you will travel by night buses’

I jumped up in excitement, but suddenly-
‘Why the sudden change at this time, did uncle change his mind, or did you try to persuade him? If yes, then why?’

‘Oh not really, but uncle just called’

‘But that was not uncle’s voice?’

‘You are right, it was his secretary’

‘You mean Uncle Soji has a secretary and he works this late? Why is it a male and not a female, and why does he work late at night, doesn’t he have a home? Or what is happening here…’

‘Its complicated’ she said bowing her head.

Suddenly-
‘Wait, do you mean you were eavesdropping, did you pick on our conversation?’
She was almost panting

I starred at her with surprise-
‘I did not, why should I, beside the phone was not on speaker so how do you expect me to have heard?’

‘Are you sure, or there is something you are hiding?’

At that moment I wished I had listened to what they were saying, I wondered what was so clandestine.

‘Is there something I was not supposed to hear’ I gave her an intense look.

‘Nothing really, you should not hear moms call’

‘You are acting absurd; I don’t seem to get you this right’

‘It happens at times’
She said; brushing my shoulders as she made for the exit.

‘That was about the time I was alerted about my award ceremony in Kaduna. I mean that was about the time I told my parents about the event’ I said (David)
I suspected my dad for the call. It is very possible that they are close.(Sandra’s mom and my dad)

‘Why are you speaking in grandiose speeches? What are you driving at, it’s freaking me out!’ she yelled

‘Cant you see it?’ I yelled back at her. I really wanted her to see what I was seeing.

‘See the goddamn what?!’

I did not know why it was so heavy for my mouth to utter. What was I trying to point out, a bunch of coincidence that does not necessarily lead to anywhere? It is just hypothesis after all.
If she cannot see it, then I may have to forget it. It’s more than disheartening to hear such tragic news about your parents…

‘David, you are freaking me out, can you please say something?’ she shrieked.

I turned and looked straight into her eyeballs-
‘Cant you see that we have so many similarities. Can’t you see that cupid has thrust his arrow into our hearts? We are so compatible, so for each other. Look deep, take a critical look at our similarities; we blend like milk and chocolate.
Sandra, by each fading second, I come to discover that you are just a shadow of me…’

What the hell am I saying? Bur did it matter? I was keeping her heart away from further damage.

I continued
‘Maybe you may say this is an absurd time to say this, but we cannot guarantee tomorrow, time and chances happen to us all. We are meant to be for each other. Either we make it together or not, either we climb this mountain or this mountain climbs us, either we joy beneath the sun, or joy above the sun in the world beyond, what ever betides, just know that I L-o-v-e Y-o-u’

‘Dave what are you talking about? We were talking about…’

‘Miseries, yes we were talking about miseries, now we are talking about love’
I gave a melting smile.

‘Dave..’ she called out of brokenness and confusion

‘Cassandra, forget it. Forget the complexities, you do not have to think any negative all I was driving at was similarities. I was looking at the compatibility of us. How deep cupid’s arrow pierced from my heart into yours’

‘David, this is emotional confusion, you are not letting me think, I do not know how I feel, I mean the way the words came, the way they are coming, Daa- vid..’

‘I love you, can’t you see that both good and evil has put an invincible ring in our fingers?’

A tear fell from her eyes. I quickly cleaned it for her before it fell to the matress.

‘I love you to, I said that before, but this time it’s deeper’ she said in broken sweetness.

She reached forward and touched my lips. Her finger wandered the length of my lower lip until it began to pout gradually, like two glued papers loosing their tenacity.
It was not the silencing touch. I knew where this was going to lead to, and for sure that is a messy idea.

‘Don’t forget that your weirdo is a pastor…’ I ended with a smile.

I could feel her disappointment.

‘Oh you are weirdly sweet…’ she said in-between tears and laughter.
She dropped her hands to my chest, and then removed it and placed it on her laps.
I jerked a bit.

I felt an inner joy. It was not because I had kept the truth from her, but because I had kept her misery away from her, and transformed her frustration into a deep feeling of love.

‘Let us catch some sleep dear, my eyes are heavy’

‘Me too’ she said, smiling. A tear rolled down her bulging eyes, tickling down to her cheeks until it disappeared into the abyss of her dimple.

We both slept with our sides facing each other.
Our hands interlocked and laid in the space created between us. We both watched our interlocked hands, as if it was not part of us.

I did not know what she thought, but deep down a thought whispered-
‘What if these blended hands transform into a wailing child, wouldn’t it be beautiful?’

I raised my head and looked into her eyes.
‘Yes it would’ I said imagining she read my thoughts.

‘Yes it would’ she replied.

I was surprised but all I did was smile. Probably she was just thinking what I was thinking, or peradventure it is possible for two lovers to hear each other thought.

That was my perfect night, I did not know when the chariot of sleep bagged me to the dream world

….

Next Episode

The earth became milky, and gradually dwindled into color variant.
I tried to move my hands but they were tied… Where is Sandra?
I turned my head and saw darkness struggling with dim blue bulbs.
Is this a party? I asked myself.
My pulse raced as I saw hefty men in black overall, tying red turban… chanting terrible songs.
I wished it were a dream, but behold doom knocks on man’s door, man opens, and get doomed!
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 9:25am On Dec 03, 2013
Hmmmm. Who got doomed?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 03, 2013
Just loving it... Am following u bro keep it UPPP
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 2:37pm On Dec 03, 2013
Congrats you are on frontpage
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Teebegs: 3:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
Nice 1.waitin 4 updates.keep prayin guy.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Teebegs: 3:49pm On Dec 03, 2013
Next update pls
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Teebegs: 3:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
Still waitin.lemme go view d blog
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by tunspear(m): 5:49pm On Dec 03, 2013
[color=#770077][/color] I just start to dey read today... Sleep don carry me go.... I go continue later.... shocked... D story sweet o.... Page three..... Seven more to go....
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2013

One cannot fathom how deep he/she will fall into sleep, when lost in the priceless warmth of a romantic lover.
And so I was waiting for the sweet dreams, the sight of butterflies jostling against each other in perfumed lavender. The purple flowers with red horns kissing each other in rhythm, as the soft gentle east wind tickle their velvet skin to a dance.

I thought I would probably see a black suit and a white gown walking down the aisle.

But strange things happen. I could not understand what sort of dream I was dreaming tied down like a sacrificial lamb on a table-altar.

But before I discovered that I was tied…
The world became a milky sight and I thought I was already seeing a white gown.
To my immediate dismay, I felt my eyes opening and then the sudden blue light of reality tore my eyes apart until I saw how miserable I had become.

I found my self in a dark room, where tiny blue bulbs struggled to conquer darkness.
Baritone sounds began to vibrate through my heart until the powerful waves diffused all over my body, shaking me to my foundations.

It was the strong baritone voice of some muscular men. They were rapped in black gowns, red mufflers hung across their necks, and a red turban tied across their brow. Their face was as strong as stone.
I turned my head left and right only to discover that these men had engulfed me.
They were about twenty in number. Without asking, I knew that this was volturis in full!

I could not contain my fear. The volturis were still circling me and chanting their strange song.

‘How did I get here?’ I whispered to my self. I could not control the swelling of my lungs and the pounding of my heart that happened concurrently.

I thought I had slept with Sandra, I thought that we had a good time. I thought we held our hands and fantasized about the future, how did everything suddenly change?
How did I get here? Where is Sandra? Where is Sandra!

I panicked trying to get off the table, but there was no way. My hands and legs were padlocked and wrangled with chains. I was pinned to the table like a criminal to the cross; separated in such a way that my body formed an X shape.

My mouth became sour, I could not pause the rush-wave of emotion that covered me as the sea tide. A hot tear splashed across my face as shook my head in refusal.

‘No, this is not happening. This cannot happen. Ah!’ I yelled.
But nobody cared, they just continued chanting their evil song and circling me.
Their faces, black with evil.

‘You cannibals if you dare touch my skin you shall all die!’
I threatened as more tear welled down my face.
But they seemed to be deaf.

More tear welled down my eyes. I could not believe that the sacrifice that had seemed a joke all this while was happening. I never anticipated death so soon. So this was the priest’s idea when he said that we should sleep. Had I know I would have kept the watch.
I never knew he could betray us so.

I cried the more.

Maybe Sandra was right about him. His hands are tied due to the murder of Capon.
He is just a cultist who cherishes his cult above anything. But where is that compassionate heart that never wanted us dead?

If indeed it was the murder that has begat so much complications then let them kill me, eat my flesh, sacrifice me to their god, but they must not touch Sandra

I began to remember the way I had fallen asleep with Sandra, how her face melted when I told her that I love her. How we played silly games, how we tried to forget the doom that was coming.
O-h Sa-n-drrrrra!
I wailed as more tear flowed down my cheeks and tickled down to the back of my neck.

I tried to look through my watery eyes to see if I could spot Sandra.
I looked between the passing men; but I saw no trace of her.

I began to recall her experience in the bush. All I could pray was that no man would try to harass her. It was not so much a possibility, because volturis was a cult where gay men made the majority.

I turned my head to the other side to check if I could find Sandra tied on a table, but the left was also clear. There was no trace.
The room was not a big one, so it was easy to look around.

It was a small room, with blue bulbs. The ceiling was simply a concrete wall painted green, which suggested a secret room.
The walls were also painted green. A red carpet spanned the length and breadth of the room. There were seats arranged to rest on the wall in a straight line, both left and right.

Ahead of me was something that looked like a table. I could not see it well because of the encircling men therefore I decided to focus on the men that were walking around. Suddenly I discovered scorpion among the men. He was looking ruthless this time. His turban made him look like a serial killer. My heart skipped a beat, I guess for defeat.
Our eyes met. I gnashed. He smiled, and formed some dumb words with his lips-
‘This is the end!’
I could not do anything I just watched him and shook my head.

As I locked my gaze on him, I heard a soft voice whisper-
‘David’
I pretended not to hear, trying to imagine where the sound could from or if it was just hallucination.
Then next second I felt the table vibrate. I froze and tried to listen.

‘David’ the soft voice called again.
I could not believe that I was hearing Sandra’s voice, but from where?

‘I am beneath you, It is a bonk table, they have captured us’

Oh Sandra! I could hear her tender voice mixed with grieve. My heart burned. I wished I could rescue her.

‘Remember the last words we said in the room’ she whispered

My heart broke with emotion
Sure I remembered those words we exchanged before we slept the sleep of misfortune.
Nevertheless, before I could reply her I heard a scream

‘WESE KWESE REE!’ a voice called

‘WEE!’ the men responded in high pitch baritone, standing at attention.

‘Horizontal two decem!’ the voice screamed again.

And like magic they formed two horizontal lines. A line of ten on my left and another line of ten on my right.

The front became clear as they took their positions. I could see a table, covered with a red cotton dress, a very big bowl on it, and a bead beside the bowl.
In front of the bowl were two tiny carved creatures. One was a boy and the other a girl.

My mouth fell agape as I saw the two men standing behind the table altar.

‘Priest, pastor Salami?’ I called out in shock.

‘You small demon now is your end, I knew what you were capable of’ Salami blared.
I could feel the anger in his voice.

It was shocking to find him around, did he not leave the empire, of how long did we sleep?
What is happening, what kind of evil sleep did I sleep, what the hell is this!

He turned to the priest,
‘Oh the fools feel heart broken they think you were on their side’

‘Poor brats and fools they are. Vain is the man that trusts in man’

He(priest) brought out a small knife from the bowl
‘Shagagboshekeye!’ he screamed as he blew air three times on the knife.
Afterwards he spat on the knife and rubbed his saliva on it.

‘Succulent parts for libido excellence!’ Salami screamed in excitement.

‘Your wish is my command’ He said as his mouth pouted into a wicked grin.

this is the height of betrayal!
i gnashed.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
scon-p:
Congrats you are on frontpage

;-))
thnks bro,
i owe u lots u know (winks)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

New Story : Afraid To Love / Grace Ifeoma Adichie's Burial: Chimamanda's Mum Buried (Photos, Video) / Ibale{virginity}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.