Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

What Lurks In The Dark - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Lurks In The Dark (32881 Views)

Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) / The Dark Tommorow / The Dark Side Of “christ Embassy” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 3:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
****Picks up phone and checks,no update.Disappointed walks out****
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 6:07pm On Nov 11, 2013
Daniel2802: ****Picks up phone and checks,no update.Disappointed walks out****

i am sorry i had posted it for some time but the post was hidden-

thanks
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 6:55pm On Nov 11, 2013
its on page 8
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 7:35am On Nov 12, 2013
I want more. Oya o sandra we are waiting for the next episode

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
EPISODE 53

‘Things like what?’ I asked Sandra, my gaze still glued to the skin mask lying on ground before me.
My hands folded into a serious mood on my bosoms. My shoulders rose high in raptness, forming two muscular mountains beside my head, which towered up to my ears.
My legs clung together like two old time lovers- My face slanted with my piercing eyes and thick brow digging into the untold mysteries hidden beneath the face of the mask

She wagged her legs and cracked her fingers. I could perceive that she was not too bothered about the turn of events. She finally spoke after some seconds.
‘I mean the reasons why you should be thankful’
I heard a sugary taste of laughter in her voice.

Suddenly, it was as if an overwhelming lightening flashed through my mind and left me ranting in my sudden darkness. I all of a sudden found no reason to smile. I felt an odd feeling deep down my heart; I guess it owed to the volumes the lifeless mask was uttering.

‘Cant you see, cant you see’ a harsh voice ministered from the inside.
I jerked, pushing my face into hers, I said
‘Look Sandra, I do not understand you, probably you are part of Volturis. How did you get this mask, why were you spared, why do you have a room to your self, why are you not scared, how come you survived…wh- wh-hw-hw-’ I stammered due to volume of words.

Using my buttocks as wheels, I drove my self to the left, creating an obvious distance; my brain was breathing hard, almost pushing my skull open.

‘Volturis? What is volturis?’ she asked amazingly. Her eyes brightened with doubts.

I gave her face a quick scrutiny,
‘You mean you do not know?’ I raised my brows.

‘I have never heard of such name before’

That was hard to take, however her face showed sincerity. It was later on I discovered that girls are very good actors, good with making faces.
Nevertheless, I took her words for truth, in my sheer ignorance!

‘This place is called The Volturis Empire’ I said in a lecturing tone.

‘Wow, I see’ she nodded, trying to digest the words.

‘What does it mean?’

‘Sandra there is nothing in this life as confusing as this mask starring at me from the floor’ I raised my voice a little, trying to kill her question-

However, it seemed futile-

‘I asked what the meaning of the name was…’ she said ignoring the tenor of my voice.

‘S-andra!’ I called passionately, trying to make her see how unsecured I felt without an explanation.

‘What is that face?’ she asked, grinning in a frown.

‘Sandra tell me about the mask, tell me now, or you will make me believe what I do not want to believe’ my eyes were almost closing as I spoke with profound passion.

‘No tell me the meaning of the name and then I would tell you the story behind the mask’

I punched the bed three consecutive times showing frustration, however her mood was same, she just smiled, whispering ‘no way, no way’ as I lingered the more, she turned it into a song, I saw that my nagging was producing no result, helpless, I bent my spine.

‘Vultures, it means vultures’ I blurted out.

‘Wow I see’ she said still smiling, this time her white set of teeth and dimple somewhere on her cheek, made me almost forget all my troubles.

‘Can you go ahead before I loose my insufficient patience?’ I brought my self back to reality.

After some preambles, that I was not interested in, she finally got to the part where I dropped my listening ears.

She began.

‘It all happened like a mystery when I found myself running for cover inside an unknown thick forest. The sound of gunshots, the rapid steps coming behind, and the panic in everybody’s voice, triggered a kind of adrenaline that I could not explain. We were so carried away that we even forgot we had a bond of friendship, everyone had one priority and that was survival. Probably that bolt for survival is what has brought us together again’

‘I ran like a rocket from earth to space, in my uncontrolled speed I dashed my feet against the root of an old knotty tree. It was terrible; I crashed on the grasses ahead. Been too fat, the grasses let me down to the ground. Because it was not a direct crash to the ground, I did not sustain any serious injury’

‘However, before I could get my self together and continue my aimless race, I found a man standing beside me in black overalls. His muscles angrily pushed his clothes out to shape. He was broad, tall and thick. My heart skipped a beat.’

‘Scared to my teeth that my doom had arrived I made an attempt to run, but before I could dream standing up, he grapped my two legs, with his two hands, and would not let me go.
He raised my legs up, and the only thing left on the ground was my grazed jaw, and puffed chest. I was like an inclined plane. I felt my blood rushing to my brain’

‘It was hurting, and I knew that struggling would cause me injury, so I kept calm, with a stream of tears rolling down my eyes’

‘What do you want’ I had asked him in-between sobs, he was not a man of so many words, so he simply said,
‘We want you’. The word struck me hard. For the fear that I would soon be victimized of a brutal group rape, I screamed to my peak. Peradventure you may be close by or that offensive man that sat close to you in the bus. That was my thought.’

I wanted to tell her that grasshopper was already dead and that he was also on our side before he died, but I could not put the words together before she continued.

‘Well its not like you could pull the man down, and as a matter of fact you did not show up’

I felt sober and insulted at the same time. The temptation to brag that I killed capon and Solomon enticed me, however-

‘Sandra, I heard your voice, but it was at the same time my evil befell me’ I decided to take the other angle

She gave me that lovely look, ‘its okay’ she ended

‘As I screamed, the man dropped my legs down with force, as if he was dumping a bag of cement. The pain made me scream.
The next second, I found myself trying to utter words. The man came on me and covered my mouth.
I could still remember his words-
‘Keep your mouth shut, or I will you shorten your life’
My lips were hurting; his fingers sank into my cheeks, with his other hand bridging my breast to the ground beside me.’

‘I nodded repeatedly, trying to tell him that I would not scream again. He removed his hand from my mouth and looked straight into my eyes.
‘Thank you’ I uttered immediately’

‘He did not reply, rather he just kept looking straight into my eyes.
Getting queasy, I pleaded,
‘Please do not rape me, I am a virgin’

‘So what is my business with you been a virgin?’

‘I am sorry, but please do not rape me’ then I was already planning of the evil I would do to him if he dares.

‘I do not rape girls’ he said sounding more irritated.
I wanted to ask him ‘then who do you rape, and why are you starring at me like a dog’ but before I could say anything, he bundled me in his arms like a baby and we dashed into the dark’

‘I was hearing sounds every where; people screaming, running, falling, owls singing doom songs, I heard different sounds as we dashed into the dark.’

‘Where are you taking me?’ I questioned my captor.

‘Somewhere special’ he said, bouncing into the dark.

‘Please just let me go, please release me…’ I cried.
Suddenly, he dropped me to the ground and started starring at me. Already we were far into the bush. However, where we were was a bit cleared, with no trees, but bushes.

Then he began a surprising speech, he said-
‘When I saw you, and looked into your eyes, I saw a girl that does not deserve what was about to befall her. I wanted to rape you, but I saw something in your eyes that pleaded for mercy, and pricked me with condemnation. That was why I carried you in my arms like a child and brought you to this place’

‘So what do you want to do with me here?’ I asked looking stunned.

‘I want to release you’ he said looking back into my eyes.

‘But I still hear gunshots, afar off’

‘Look at that he pointed to a small path in-between the bush, run through that path, I will stand here and ensure that no one runs after you. After about five minutes, you will get to a small village, when you get there find someone you can stay with until daybreak. Then when the sun is out, you can go on with your journey’

‘He dug his hands into his pockets and handed me two mint naira notes.’

‘I collected it with gratitude, amazed at how much favor I had received from him.
‘Thank you sir’ was all I could say to him. I could not believe my fortune, well fortune I thought!’

‘Deep down, I was scared of running into the bush just I get into an unknown village, just to start another wandering for shelter. My plan was to find somewhere convenient in the bush and afterwards come back to the road when everywhere is clear. However, the uncertainty of someone picking me up at the dead of night was almost out of it. In a country like Nigeria, any person standing helpless on the road in the dead of the night could easily be passed off as a witch.’

‘While I yet battled with my thoughts, he hasted me to go immediately
‘Run now before my friends come and get you’ he had said with concern.

‘As I wanted to run, he showed dismay, and said that I was so ungrateful. Dazed I asked him how, and then he told me that I could not even give him a hug before I left that he had saved my life.
I tried to argue that he was the one hurrying me to leave…
Then he said a word that some how broke me, he said
‘Is a hug to much, or maybe I should have just raped you’

‘I thought it was just a hug. Actually to be candid, a hug was not too much for someone who had saved your life. I never knew that evil lurked me in the arms of a stranger.’

‘As I got into his arms for a casual hug, he held me tight, squeezing me like the bell of a cow. Time was ticking and I was still in his embrace. Suddenly, I heard heavy steps approaching, but the stranger would not let me go.’

‘I wanted to push him off and hurry to where he told me to go. But as I was about doing that, his hand came on my buttocks pressing me to himself, the next second he fiddled his fingers all through my back tracing my spine roughly until he reached my neck, I almost groaned in pleasure.
However, before I could gain my self and rebuke his immaturity, I felt a sharp injection directly into my jugular vein; it went in so fast and came out so fast. Before I could even scream, he gave me a dirty slap.

I did not know what the syringe he stabbed me with contained, but as he slapped me I fell to the ground, and became drowsy immediately. I could not utter a word.
The last thing I saw through my blurry sight were some men bringing in dead humans from the bush to where I laid.
‘Fool, who shows pity for you?’ was the last word I heard before I passed out.

…………………..

‘Please I will like use the lavatory give me some time’ she said as she stood up.

I heard her but I was lost in her story. She had to tap me to bring me back to reality.

‘I want to use the lavatory’

‘Why?’ I asked, selfishly wanting to hear her complete story

‘I want to piss’ she said walking away.

It was then I remembered that I was also pressed.

‘After you!’

I picked up the mask from the ground…
So how did this mask come about?
I muttered to my self.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 9:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
No longer disapointed bro.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 12:11am On Nov 13, 2013
Nice story. Following
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:49am On Nov 13, 2013
wow (ehales)
we have come a long way in What Lurks In The Dark
and i am really grateful for your support, words of E and C
-
The story should come to an end this month.
however, it would be unclimaxed if this story does not get to the front page-

on this note I'm solicitin for your endorsement.
thank YOU-

www.nairaland.com/1330912/what-lurks-dark
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 13, 2013
jayloyexten: wow (ehales)
we have come a long way in What Lurks In The Dark
and i am really grateful for your support, words of E and C
-
The story should come to an end this month.
however, it would be unclimaxed if this story does not get to the front page-

on this note I'm solicitin for your endorsement.
thank YOU-

www.nairaland.com/1330912/what-lurks-dark
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
Okay oh.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
EPISODE 54

I rested with my back to the mattress, admiring the POP ceiling and the beautiful bulbs that smiled from its face.

In no time, Sandra was done with the lavatory, and so was I. I walked out; anxious to hear her continue her story.

‘And who do you think the man is?’ she asked knowing I was close enough to hear her soft voice.

The question left me standing beside the bed in shock. Who could that person be, who could be so foolish?
I shook my head in the negative

She twisted her hand as her habit was.
‘I do not seem to know his name, but I think the priest said his name is Capon, the administrative head of this empire-’

‘Capon?’ I called with shock.

‘Yeah, what is so surprising?’

I hurriedly sat beside her, looking directly into her eyes like a baby wanting a hug.
‘Did you say that the priest told you that? What relationship do you have with the priest?’
I raised my brow.

‘One step at a time…’ she gave me an eye to finish the line, a Jordon Sparks music- one-step at a time

‘There is no need to rush.’ I completed
‘Yeah I know that, but-’
I spread my two hands before my face in stammer.

‘Back to capon, so what did they do to you, hope they did not rape you afterwards’ I examined her body for signs
‘You know that you are beautiful, by all standards you qualify to be called diva…’

She interjected.
‘Well I was not raped, and thanks for the complements. However, it was terrifying to find my self in a small room, struggling with my eyelids, and shielding my eyes from the bright ray of light that brought into my mind the black thoughts of abduction. It was like the stories, the movies, the folk tales, I had soon become a victim behind closed doors; waiting for the worse to happen.
That alone is a rape of my freedom, which is also as important. At that state, death, rape and rituals were all possibilities.’

As she mentioned ‘small room’, my mind flashed back to the small room in the ICT lab where I had also faced such uncertainties, saw the living ghost of Solomon, and all that- I was eager to hear her say that it was the same room. Actually, there was no reason for the wish.

She continued.
‘As I woke up, the first question I asked my self was,
Where am I?
Next was –
Was I raped?
I hurriedly checked my lower dichotomy, searching with my fingers for anything funny, sticky, or whatever-
Satisfied, I ran my eyes through the room, and asked my self to the hearing of my ears-
What am I here for?’

‘The only question I could answer was the second. I stood up from the small mattress placed on the ground. The room was empty; I mean there were nothing aside the mattress and myself. I did not even know where my traveling bag was’

‘As I stood up pacing in fear, I heard a mild knock. My heart jerked immediately.
I pretended to be asleep again, however as I laid in my feigned slumber, a hand tapped my shoulders three times. However, I increased the gear of my sleep, adding slight snores, to give the impression that I was not just asleep but deeply asleep’

‘The man stopped at first, and although my eyes were still closed I could feel that he was starring at me. The next moment, I felt his hands trailing my cheeks downwards. By the time it got to my neck, and it was still trailing down in tickles, I jerked up in reflex, my heart beating with aggression, as if my chest would push open’

‘As I jerked our face came face to face. I wanted to rebuke him, but by the time, I saw his elderly face and his sparse gray hair, all I did was stammer’

‘I am sorry, he said calmly, I knew you were awake I just did that to…’

‘Yes whatever… I replied with nervousness.’

‘For some seconds I looked into his eyes without saying a word. He was not the person that had injected me in the bush. Somehow, I remembered the scene at that moment. I pushed my index finger to my neck to feel the exact spot. The pain had become so tiny, and I felt like scratching it because it tickled me’

‘What do you want I asked the elderly man, who was about fifty-five years old.’

‘You have been abducted and yet you are asking what I want?’

‘What should have been the right question to ask?’ I threw back at him.

‘He starred at me blankly; I had pinned him to a corner. Nevertheless, there was something with the way he looked at me. It wasn’t of excess libido, but it showed something like pity.’

‘My name is priest, I am your savior take this mask’ he had said almost immediately.

‘He handed me a skin mask having the face of a girl, I was shocked. I could not trust any stranger, not after I had trusted a stranger and got the payment of a syringe stuck into my jugular vein.’

‘After some arguments, he convinced me, and I believed him. Somehow, he sounded real, although he did not still tell me the reason, he promised that he was working something out, and I should do it quickly that he would see me later.
I was surprised at his concern and how much favor he was showed me. More to it was his elderly looks and elderly manner of approach’

‘Why are you doing this to me, I had asked him.’

‘You would understand very soon’ he replied.’

‘After I put on the mask, he did some adjustments and told me to follow him. As I came out of the small room, I met a big living room. He showed me a door out, and told me to go through the door that I would see something impressive. Meanwhile he assured me of keeping an eye on me’

‘I was dazed at the mission, and I urged him to just let me go, if indeed he wanted to save me. I began to doubt him again. The bush scenes were rushing into my mind.’

‘I do not understand, I do not understand! I had nagged-
Why would you not just let me go, let me go please, if indeed you want to help me?’

‘Afterwards, he came close to me and tapped me on my shoulders. His hands were heavy and fatherly.
He made me remember the fiction of my family, although that is by the way.
Then he spoke passionately, I want you to see David, so that you would know that he is still alive.’

‘I did not have time to ask him how he got to know the name David or the person. Or even how he got to know that we had only met in the bus and we were all over ourselves. As he mentioned your name, my heart jumped up with joy, I was very glad that I had not lost you, I was glad that you also made it through the storm.’

‘However, as I was about going through the door, I asked him why I was wearing the mask and whose face the mask is.
He just tapped me gently, pushing me towards the door.’
‘He started’
‘I do not want anybody in volturis to know that you are alive, you would not understand, there are so many deep things about your self that you cannot understand. But know that everybody here is your enemy, know that you are to die soon, but if my plan prevails you would be saved.’

‘But how would David know that I am Sandra. I asked’

‘He does not have to know. All that you need to know for now is that he is alive. He would cope; he is a man. More so, he is with the volturis, the toughest people in volturis and the people you should fear, because they wield evil powers; they are very strong.’

‘Most importantly, is the fact that he fears that you are dead, he had seen your head in a bag, thinking you are dead. That was part of my plan, so you need to wear that mask to protect David and to protect yourself.’

‘There is no time for further questions go now, do not reveal your identity, your name is Amanda, you are a victim like he is, go and make him feel he has a friend in volturis, someone that is into what he is into, I will take over from there. This is necessary for the emotion of David, and I know you love him’

‘I love him, thank you, although it is love at first sight’

‘So long there is love there, the adjectives matter less, hurry and go and see him, you do not have time’

‘I walked through the door. Surprisingly I found a crescent and about five steps leading to the crescent passage, the architecture was strange.
There was a pair of shoe in front of the door, quite a big one.
I did not know what the passage offered, I just believed that I would see you somewhere around.’

‘To my surprise, I met you there, and then you thought I was a vampire, and all that happened, you remember?’ she asked

My heart could not hold it any longer
‘Jesus!’ I yelled within range
‘So you mean that Amanda does not exist, you mean it was you I met in that mysterious passage?’

I could not contain my joy, I spread my two hands on my chest, as if I want to remove my heart to give her, as romantic scenes have it.
A cheerful smile expanded on my face, until my white teeth brightened before her face.
Gradually my teeth also pouted, it was just centimeters between the end of my smile and my tingling ears. My cheeks puffed out like two red apples. My eyes kept brightening with joy, like the rise of the sun. There was something like honey dropped into my mouth, my stomach rumbled for joy.

She held my hand. Her hand was as soft as cotton and foamy alike.
She squeezed them as if she was sucking orange-
‘Do not worry there is more’ her calm voice said soothingly.

It took us a whole minute smiling, and letting all our hidden expressions speak our innermost thoughts.

She continued
‘The legless shoe was surprising to me, and the only reason why I had followed was because of the previous encounter I had with the priest. Although I did not know how the shoe came about, it was the same shoe I saw at the entrance of the door. However, for a shoe to move on its own is and was a puzzle I do not know how to solve.
I was also as scared as you were and that to my teeth. However when I saw that the letter was signed with a name ‘savior, I could easily plus things together’

‘As I followed the shoe, the shoe alighted in front of the door that led out of the passage; I picked up the paper and opened the door.
As I opened the door, I met the priest by the door,’

‘Good job’ he praised

‘Good job?’ I had questioned ‘Did you see me, did you know what I said, did you know if I removed the mask, do you know if I told him that I am Sandra, you do not know any of this, why then should you believe in me? Why should you trust me?’

‘Well, I do not trust you’ he began ‘however, you should know that I am a priest and that I am the eyes of this Empire’

‘Are you saying that to scare me?’ I had asked.

‘Well, you should actually know who I am, and what it is for you to have me on your side’

‘I wanted to continue the conversation, however he told me to keep quiet and said that we do not have time for long discussions. Afterwards he led me through the long passage and brought me to this room. He urged me to close the door behind, and put on the mask until I see you’

‘However he sent a message to a phone he gave me.’

She reached for an I-pad beneath her pillow.
‘That was about fifteen minutes before you came fainting by my door. Here is the message.

Good news Sandra, your lover comes to you pompous and riding with a lion,
However open the door, that he may not knock, leave your mask on.
But by the time he comes to you, and you have shut the door behind him, do
Not grieve him any further, reveal your self to him-
This is the beginning of your adventure, and now the battle gets tougher

‘That is the text, and I must say that I do not understand any thing in the text aside what was clearly stated that you were on your way and I should unbolt the door, but leave the mask unbolted until I have bolted the door with you in this chamber…’

‘I think I understand the text’

‘Really? Please explain’

I took some time to organize my self
‘Let me have the phone’ I offered. She had not given it to me before, she just read it out before my eyes.

I held the phone, and read the text from the beginning to the end.

I began.
‘From your story, I can fix so many puzzles that have bothered me ever since I opened my eyes in this empire.
To be brief, I can ascertain, from your story that the priest has eyes every where and these eyes are not spiritual as you think, but the eyes of the camera, which means that right now he is watching us and listening to what we are saying’

She jerked,
‘How did you know that?’ She asked, panic in her voice

‘Well you do not have to panic. I was in his ICT room, and it is not so much big deal if he is hearing us now, since he is on outside. Even the man that sat beside us was also on our side, but he is dead right now’

I quickly shared how grasshopper died, and the ambiguous words he had said, uptil the last words he said- find your father, Amanda and S-s
By the time I was done, her mouth fell agape.

I guess what was most fascinating to her was Pastor Salami.
She could not believe that such a man she had reverenced as ‘anointed’ could be so filthy.
However, I did not tell her that I had inklings that my parent had alongside brought about my predicament. I did not tell her that pastor Salami had tried to rape me.
I only told her he owned the empire and that he was a cannibal; a little segment of his profanity

‘Now back to the text’ I continued

‘The first line
Good news Sandra, your lover comes to you pompous and riding with a lion,
He could tell that I was pompous because he must have heard my conversations with the pastor, capon and others. I was not yielding, I was wild with them’

‘The ‘lion’ was a metaphor describing the man that was bringing me, he was heartless, and in fact he had said that I should sleep with him. I almost fell for that…’

‘Homo?!’ she exclaimed
‘Are you gay?’

‘God forbid’ I quickly snapped across my head
‘But most of the men here are gay. Probably that was why the man in the bush did not rape you. He is not attracted to girls, and this may shock you, Pastor Salami is also gay’

‘Jesus!’ she screamed. ‘No this is unbelievable’

‘Close your mouth’ I said gently, observing that she had forgotten to close he mouth for shock.
She grinned, and obeyed

‘Well it is not so strange, these are the last days, and we have so many scandals going on, it happens everywhere, gay pastors, covered in priestly garments, hypocrites!’

‘Hmm’ she nodded.

‘So that is the meaning of the first line.’ I continued

‘Every thing there is clear. However, what I would not want to believe is that the adventure had just begun. It may not be so easy for us to get out of this place. If it was not easy before the death of Solomon and Capon then it cannot be easy now. I do not know what is going to happen, but I know its going to brutal for both of us, especially I. It is only God that can save us from this evil’

‘Amen, but how did they die’

I had been hiding that part all this while; however, I saw that holding back anything was not worth it, we both are in it together.

I quickly explained what happened in the mortuary-
The last words she said before she squeezed my hands again were,
‘David, I do not believe in ghosts, please tell me it was a dream’

I had not told her about the dream which was even worse, however, evaluating her weakness, I kept that back.

‘David we are into trouble’

‘Yes we are’

‘But we are in this all together’

We fell into a shoulder hug.

Then she whispered into my ears-
‘If indeed the priest is as powerful as he professed, then he should be able to deliver us’

‘Do not forget that the priest owes this empire his life, and he would not want to loose it, not even for us. He would not want any body to know that he let us free. He had not said that he is quitting cannibalism and his priest hood. All he wants to do for us is a secret escape. But now that things had become so bad, who would he pin things on, how would he handle the death of the administrative head of the empire, how would he with this entire still bring us out’

‘I understand’ she spoke in-between sobs, a tear falling from her eyes.

‘But why does he want to save us,’

‘Who are we to him’ she continued

‘What does he want?’

We pulled from our embrace-
We both looked into our cloudy eyes,

‘It would take a miracle to get us out of here, the volturis is a cult. They would not show mercy if any of their member dies, not even the priest’ I said soberly but profound

I had not told her what happened in the ICT room.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.
My heart jumped and hanged on the mouth of my throat.
We both looked into our eyes for some seconds.

‘Maybe it is the priest’ we said together.

I rushed to the door, and peeped through the pinhole to confirm.
As I saw the person my heart shook, it was not the priest-

‘God what is happening?’ I muttered beneath my breadth.
My heart became sour,

Why is it that happy moments do not last?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:05pm On Nov 14, 2013
THANKS
to Damex and Scon P for endorsin-

*.and also to all others who would have...
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 8:00am On Nov 15, 2013
Haaa! So Amanda wasn't real? And I was beginning to like that character already. Na escaping things get David and Sandra now be that.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 7:25pm On Nov 15, 2013
Make dem seat down plan good escape plan.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 9:19pm On Nov 16, 2013
Update regulary oh.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 9:19pm On Nov 16, 2013
Be updating steady oh.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:31pm On Nov 18, 2013
EPISODE 55

I peeped again through the pinhole.

The face that starred behind the door was quite strange. I could not decipher his mission, function, or reason for intrusion- all my mind was saying was, BEWARE!
I wish my mind said it loud enough, probably, that would have evaded a facet of evil.

I turned back and signaled Sandra.
‘A strange face’
I formed the words in dumbness carefully curving my lips and biting my last consonant. I did not have to repeat it a second time; she read my lips, perfect.

Getting my words, she snatched the mask from the bed and covered her face. The next second she was the ghost that had made me faint-

Three heavy knocks pounded on the door again. It was as if the knocks landed directly on my blinking heart.

The priest’s command was straight and clear; lock the door behind you!

However, If I let this man wake the whole empire and bring on my head more troubles than I already have, then, I think that would be self-destruction.
I thought

Sandra came and stood beside me. I saw the way her heart rose and fell like the sea tide.

‘Should I open the door?’ I whispered into her ears.

Before I could slur my last word, I heard an aggressive voice from behind the door-
‘David, open this door now, or you would not love the consequences!’

My heartbeat quenched for two seconds.
I could not understand how he knew my name, and how he had so much gut as to order me out. ‘Who is he, what does he want’, were the questions that repeated in my mind.
I tried to listen to the voice again, it did not sound any familiar.

The next moment he was vehemently shaking the door from the knob, ready to pull it down.
Then I knew that it was a do or die affair, but what could be so serious?

‘Where is the priest?’
I whispered into Sandra’s ear. She was already shrinking in fear,

‘He is just a man. He could be asleep, or with the little you have told me, maybe things have really gone sour’

Indeed things went sour.

As I unbolted the door from behind, the stranger impatiently pushed the door open.
Sandra was hiding behind the door.

I stood blocking the entrance. Gradually, I clenched my fist. My palms were already like a leaf beneath the dew.
Face to face with the stranger, I showed no intimidation.

He was a short man. He had a little swelling on his chest, which he would joyfully call muscles. His eyes were blood-shut. His aura was that of haste, he reeked of something terrible.

‘You little demon…’ he roared as he tries to grab my hand. However, I was faster than he was.

‘Are you not afraid to touch a demon?’ a walking voice approached.

Our heads immediately turned towards the direction of the voice. Seeing the priest, my heart gladden with joy.

‘Priest’ the stranger greeted at once bowing his head.
I could feel Sandra smiling at the corner where she was.

‘Little demons can be curtailed’ he said at last, his face was as strong as stone

‘What do you want from him, is it not too early for all this parade’ the priest was still approaching.

‘Sir, I wanted to bring him to you’ he said with disappointment in his voice.
Something told me that he was lying.

‘Why? Was it not I who ordered that they should be here? Everybody wants to now break the constitution of volturis?’

He raised his voice and made it coarse
‘What is this sudden trend of rebellion and confusion? Little wonder grasshopper was killed by Solomon in an attempt to kill pastor Salami. I show no remorse for him, and neither will I show any remorse for you if you dare break the edge!’

The stranger paced inconveniently.
‘Sir I went into the archives and I saw capon and Solomon drained and swimming in their own blood.’

My heart jerked a beat. I thought that the priest had cleaned up the mess. Why did he not?

‘I also discovered that their pockets were searched, in fact the black ring of capon was no longer there. I felt that searching this boy would just confirm the strong fact that he killed those two men’

I later on discovered that the black ring was equivalent to the black box in a plane. Any thing that happens to capon was stored in the black box. Capon is solely the property of the empire. He barely had a secret life.

‘Why didn’t you report to me first?’ the priest snapped.

‘Sir I felt that after I do this I would report to you. I wanted to be sure he actually did it’

‘What gave you the slightest inkling that a small boy as this, can take down capon and Solomon. Are their bones made of water and noodles? Or do you think that this little thing has got extraordinary powers, is he a super man? Come to think of it, can this boy cause you the slightest injury?’

‘Sir, but this boy is about seventeen, he is a young man’

‘And so he can kill you?’

‘Sir but he used a gun’

‘And so what? Wasn’t capon trained as a soldier, what is this thought that comes into your head. Are you drunken, no it’s too early, I guess you had a bad dream, go to bed.’

The stranger rubbed his head for some seconds as if searching for what to say.
I knew that he could not stand the embarrassment he had just bought himself.

‘Sir Are you not grieved by the sudden death of two volturis?’ he said after pacing in confusion.

‘No I am bothered that you are not on your bed. Do not make me sound bossy, you know I do not have time for all you guys idiosyncrasies. Do not shit with me. You should rather mind your chambers, I mean right now!’

That was harsh, and I felt for the stranger.

‘Sir-’ he called out from his surprise.

‘Leave that boy alone, today is the day of sacrifice. I was the one who took the black ring. The murder is an indoor person, a volturis.
I would address the empire this morning, together with pastor Salami. The murderer would face what is greater than death.’
He narrowed his eyes, ‘do not jump the gong boy. Mind your chambers.’

‘Oh I am glad you know about the murder.’
He shot me an offensive look.

The priest turned to me. His eyes burned with fire.
‘And you little demon, sleep now, because hours from now you shall be in hell’
I did not know if that was drama or reality, either ways, it made me shrink.

‘Sir he deserves more than death…’ the stranger protested.

Just then, something intellectual popped out from my mind.
‘How could I have gotten into the mortuary without having the keys, I thought that the mortuary door was always shut’ I said.

Indeed the mortuary door was locked with key when I got there. However, the spirits had opened the door – and then came the saga
‘I could raise something from that.’ I had thought.

The words struck them hard. The stranger looked at me with sheer anger. He began to swell. I could tell that he really hated me.

I did not care. I looked into his blood –shut eyes as I completed my statement.

‘It is quite simple. A volturis led me to the door after he had killed Capon and Solomon. He was so in haste that he could only point at the door before he disappeared.
By the nature of the death, I could tell that there was malice in the scene.
The purpose of him bringing me there was to frame me up as the killer. When I got into the room and I found the dead bodies, my heart burned. I had never seen such a brutal murder before. I was fooled!
However, I did not have to worry long; I knew that it was only an unprofessional move.’

I turned to the priest, looking into his eyes as well.
‘Priest’ I bowed, showing respect.
‘That person is this man.’ I pointed at him
‘He killed Capon and Solomon. He is a murderer! May their souls rest in peace’
I placed my hand on my chest, bowed and then dug out my head, in a show of remorse.
It was all mockery.

I could feel the shock waves in the stranger’s heart.

Beating his imagination I had immediately framed him up and left him dumbfounded. I could not even believe my self.
‘No volturis must be aware that the priest is on our side.’ I said within me.
I knew that for the time been; I have that as my sole responsibility.

The stranger’s mouth fell opened, he tried to say something but he was totally dumbfounded. All I heard were just cracks in his mouth.

I went further in my allegations.
‘Can you see that you are dumbfounded? You think I would never open my mouth to say it. You thought I would be scared of dying? I am not a coward, not even in death’

He stammered for some time afterwards he turned to the priest.
‘You see the way he talks, this boy cannot be trusted. He is a demon, cant you see deceit written all over his face. This boy killed capon and Solomon in cold bold’

‘Address me and not the priest’ I charged at him.
‘If you say I killed capon and the priest then who opened the door to the archives?
Who? Oh do you think I am scared of you?’ I ran my eyes from his head to the ground beneath the feet,

Afterwards I said-
‘I repeat; that was unprofessional’

I knew that the priest could not help his shock. I had created a perfect condition where he could help me and save himself as well, if truly he wants to save.

The stranger ran his eyes from me to the priest in confusion.
He wanted to say a word, when the priest interjected.

‘What the boy said is it true. So this was your entire plan. You had the guts and effrontery to kill capon of all people, scorpion you had the guts?’
The priest was such a good actor.

It was then I knew the strangers name, scorpion.

Scorpion could not take it any longer.
He rushed to me, pushing his face into mine. His mouth smelled badly. I almost threw up.

‘How dare you lie on my head? Are you mad, do you know who you are fucking with?’
He tried to point his short fingers into my face.

I kept a disgusted face, and looked at him with no relevance. Actually he wasn’t.
‘Answer the question!’ I pushed my face into his.

‘Come do you think you can beat me in a fight, what are you feeling like’ then he switched to pidgin ‘ watin you dey feel like sef, I go wound you o’
He tried to push his body into mine to scare me.

I stood with nonchalance.
‘You see what I am saying’ I turned to the priest.

‘If I cannot beat this small man, then is it tall capon and muscular Solomon that I would be able to take down, it is not logical!’ I snapped

‘I believe you’ the priest comforted.

Scorpion turned sharply to the priest as if the priest had suddenly injected him.

‘Priest, did you just say that you believe this little wizard?’
He turned back to me
‘And you you dey call me small man ba? Yo dey madt, abi craze dey chop your brain?’
He dug a little finger into his skull in demonstration.

‘I am sorry I do not understand that kind of English, please can you say it in proper parlance, maybe if you can try to attempt the proper one, I would understand you better’

‘David will you stop that!’ the priest rebuked.
‘What is giving you such guts as to challenge a volturis? The fact that you did not kill Capon and Solomon does not mean that you would not die, so what is all this your boastings?’

‘He is a fool na’ scorpion complemented.

I smilled in a taunting manner.

Then I picked my words gently.
‘Priest, with due respect, you said that I would die, but I am not dead. If I am not dead it means that I am living. If I am living then it concludes that I have emotions. This small man, oh please pardon me, he said that he is big’ I grinned

Scorpion shook his head.
The priest pretended not to hear it.

‘He accuses me of the murder of two gigantic men. But how is that possible? He is only trying to use me to wrought revenge on this empire. He has issues with this empire that you have to dig into. This man is evil and a threat to this empire. He had threatened me not to tell any body. In fact he said that if I do he would kill me.’

‘I do not understand the drama he has brought to my door this early morning. Maybe this was his plan to bring you out of your chambers and frame me up. He knew that I was just a boy and that volturis would execute me in some hours. He also knew that I could not revenge it on him later on in life…’

‘Priest please look into this matter, I am been emotional, see the way I am talking to you, you would perceive that I am a respectful person. I am just like everyman with feelings. You can bear me witness that when ego is trampled, even an ant would scream back to save its life’

Scorpion placed his hands on his head

‘David I understand you’ the priest comforted again.

‘Priest!’ scorpion yelled in a crying voice

The priest came closer to scorpion and placed his hands on his shoulder.

‘Scorpion, you are a volturis and so am I, I would never allow any thing no matter how big or small to stand between us. We are one big family. However, when the truth is not found between us again, then we seize to be brothers. When two brothers do not tell each other the truth, then their brotherhood is fake’
‘I will ask you for the last time, did you kill capon and Solomon?’ he narrowed his eyes.

‘Priest you talk about brotherhood, but you do not rust me as a brother ought. Even if I say that I did not kill them, you would not still believe me believe me’ he spoke with a sorrowful voice.

‘Sir can you see his grammar? He said that even ‘if he says’, meaning he killed them’ I interjected.

‘Noted’ the priest replied.

A tear fell from scorpions eyes.
‘Sir so you also believe that?’

‘He only brought out a suggestion and I said that was noted. Can you defend your statement?’

When the priest saw that scorpion could not come out with any reasonable explanation, he continued.

‘With the little I know about murder, one thing must be evident, there must be malice.’

‘Malice’ his voice cracked.

‘Yes before you kill anybody there must be a grudge’ he explained

‘Sir Do you want to use that against me? You know that I have never really had it in good terms with capon, why do you want to do this to me, abah na, you said that we are volturis, brothers’ he broke down.

‘Now you see why I should believe the boy? You have never had it in good terms with capon. And now he is dead, you should be glad that he is. Nevertheless, you left your room to stand before this brat, accusing him of murder. How come you are the one fighting for capon? You of all people! No I cannot believe you. If not that this boy is smart I would have just taken your allegations hook, line and sinker’

‘Oh my seven stars, what level of demon is operating in this boy, sir cant you see his enchantment?’

‘The last time I checked I was the priest of volturis!’ the priest snapped.

‘Sir’ scorpion sobbed

‘One eye witness is better than ten hear says, you are guilty of murder scorpion’

‘How dare you lie on my head?’ scorpion yelled at me, in-between tears

‘You keep asking that, prove it. If it is not that the truth has clogged your tongue; in so much in so much that lies have been locked up in shame!’
‘Oh you thought you were smart!’

‘You will definitely pay for what you have done’ he said pointing his short finger again at me.

‘I did not say a word I just looked away.
Seconds passed and nobody said anything.
I could see him rubbing his palms together from the corner of my eyes. Fed up he rested with his back on the passage wall, still facing me.

‘Priest how about capons ring, let us search this boy, it must be on him’ he broke the silence.

My heart skipped a beat, already capons two fake licenses were with me. I had kept them for future purpose. My whole body froze.

‘Look at him; he is rubbing his palms together. He is nervous you need to check him now, maybe then you would believe me’ he said pointing at me
I quickly dropped my hands, and frowned at him.

‘Sure, come here David’ the priest ordered

‘Sir I will have to video this scene and show the entire empire, I know that this boy is guilty, he is a demon. This video would prove it, no I cannot allow a small demon to frame me up and doom me, never!’ scorpion roared

‘Go ahead, and I will video your search as well. I need to prove to you that I am not on this demons side, but I stand for the truth. I am not partial’ the priest expressed.

Scorpion brought out his Samsung Galaxy Tap, and covered the scene.

The priest dug his hands into my pocket-
I knew that I was finished…
My body began to shake- here is DOOM!
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 6:10am On Nov 19, 2013
Keep up the good work.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 6:34am On Nov 19, 2013
Nice
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 19, 2013
Mutjacodagukali vjkrialabilakulci anything priest should touch in david's pocket should vanish that very instant. Ase.
Nice one.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
thanks @ Scon-p and Dan i really appreciate you guys

lollz @ damex.

well here is the next episode
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
EPISODE 56

His right hand searched my left pocket thoroughly. I was surprised at how everything had suddenly boomeranged towards me. It was unlike me to have no defense when I needed it the most.

I knew that I had kept the two licenses in my right back pocket; it was just a matter of seconds before his hand would dig into it.

Now it was my turn to ask my rhetorical question.
‘What level of demon had possessed him?’
(Referring to scorpion)

I looked at the priest’s hairy hand as he removed it from my left pocket, empty.
He flagged his palms before scorpion,
‘You see there is nothing in the first pocket’

‘I see it to, go ahead sir’

Gosh! He spoke with so much assurance, his assurance made me unstable.
I stood queasy, melting into sweat like a cube of sugar in boiling water.

Maybe the priest never imagined I took the license.
‘What would the boy do with it by the way?’
I could imagine him asking himself.

The next few seconds he had thoroughly searched my left, right and left back pocket respectively.
Actually, he had found some one thousand naira notes in my left back pocket. However, scorpion had rebuked that he must continue. He was so sure, he had said-
‘Now it is sure that the ring must be in the other pocket.’

My heart jerked. It had just occurred to me that it was the ring they were looking for; not the license. However, finding the license with me would still be implicating.

At once, I wanted to accuse scorpion for putting the license in my back pocket, and further accuse him of having the ring.

But it was only a thought. My lips glued together. All I could do was let them quiver with no words coming out.

His hands sank gently into my pockets, deeper and deeper until it touched…

My heartbeat increased. My eyes became cloudy. Goose pimples covered my skin in no time. I bowed my head. I did not want my nervousness to be discovered.
I was breathing hard, and at the same time trying to control my shoulder from rising. The inner battle was so strong, that I began to sweat in my pants.

I closed my eyes. Multiple wishes began to cloud my mind. The strongest was-
‘I wish the priest would not just bring this stuff out’
What could I do more than wish?

Unfortunately, my prayers were not answered.

The priest brought out his hand. I could not look at him, I could not imagine him flagging the license in my face and calling me culprit. It was not about him, it was about the stranger.
I was blanketed in shame; I did not expect life to be this cruel.

The priest began-
‘And I have searched the last pocket, I think this is satisfactory’

I was still looking down.
Silence sustained.
I was expecting scorpion to jubilate in joy and blow his trumpet, after all, he had just won his battle. I was disappointed in the priest.

My neck was already as stiff as a rusted bolt; I turned it gently towards the priest.
I could not believe my eyes.

How could he have given scorpion so fast? Or so I thought.
I turned and looked at scorpion. He wore a disappointed face. There was nothing on his hand aside his phone, which he held down in defeat.

I was surprised at the melodrama.
‘Where did the license go? Is this a miracle? Or had God just answered my wish, did the priest change his mind about bringing it out?’
I could not contain the joy that overwhelmed my heart.
‘God I am lucky’ I had said to my self

I turned and faced scorpion, this time I was full of pride.
Starring at him for some time, I spat out-
‘What do you gain from lying; the bible says, say the truth and the truth shall set you free’

He gave a deep breadth and examined me for some time before he replied.
‘I am not a liar, and as a matter of fact, I do not believe you!’

‘I think you doubt the priest, not me’

He chewed his mouth for some time, and then turned to the priest.
‘Please can you permit me to search this boy again?’

I frowned.

‘Is it that you do not believe in me, you think I am a deceiver, or you’re thinking that I am on the side of this small demon?’ the priest said, irritated.

Scorpion wanted to say something however before he could say it the priest stepped in-
‘Go ahead and search him, see things for yourself’

‘Sir but this is not right, is it that he does not trust you?’ I reacted, fear bubbling in my throat like butterflies.

‘It is not about that’ he said firmly.
‘I stand for one thing, the truth and nothing but the truth. He should confirm for himself, that would be fair; I mean, that will be right’

I shrinked but shielded it with a frown.
I tried to stylishly check my back pocket for the license, but before I could-

‘Remove your hands from there you demon, hands up!’ Scorpion attacked, taking hold of my arm.

‘Take it easy now I am not a criminal’ I nagged as I fearfully lifted up my hands.

Why did the priest not stop him for searching, what is he doing?

He started searching from my right side pocket to my left and then my left back pocket before he got to my right back pocket where the stuff was.
‘JESUS’ I muttered beneath my breadth.

His hands went in-

‘If you find anything there then you put it there!’ I yelled.

But there was no use because he did not find anything there.
My body became cold with shock, what is actually happening?

I turned and looked at the priest, but he took his gaze away.
‘I put the thing there, I am sure!’ I argued with my self.

It was hard to put the scene away without answers.

Scorpion scratched his head. I looked at him with disgust.
‘I ask you again what do you gain from lies?’ I shot at him. Deep down I was confused, but I must not show it.

‘You had better shut up!’ he screamed, opening his whole eyes like a vampire.

‘It’s your turn to be searched’ the priest said, ending our prospective fight.

It was like a bomb on scorpion with the way he reacted.
‘You know you would find nothing on me’ he nagged.

‘I do not care I still have to check you any way’

I knew that there was no way the priest would find anything on him. I took the search as a waste of time... not until..

The priest handed me his IPAD and told me to video the scene.
Scorpion was so surprised
‘You mean that you do not trust your fellow volturis? Sir we are of the same cult, in the same cult, living in the same cult, we are brothers, and you cannot do this.’ he nagged.

Already I had started the video.

‘Do unto others what you want them to do unto you’ the priest spoke softly.
I began to sense that something was about to happen.

The priest came closer, but scorpion went backwards in the same distance. It was like a mother trying to catch her stubborn child after a misdeed.
The priest was fed up of the catch-game.
‘Scorpion what are you doing, is this game or something, are you nervous? No, Do not tell me that this true’ the priest shut him a serious look and ended it with a pitiful nod.

‘I am a man priest. You cannot humiliate me before this mere human that does not know what the human body taste like, never had sex, Before this riff raff, ah priest, you cannot do this’

‘But that was our agreement’ the priest said bluntly.

‘But it is not right I never imagined that it would come to this!’

‘But it has come to this already’
The priest came closer to him; I also drew closer, zooming the camera so that the camera would pick his nervous facial expression.

At last he stayed still, but he was still vibrating like a chicken in the cold.
Deep down I knew that there was something he was concealing, but I could not understand what it was.

As the priest dug his hand into scorpion’s right pant pocket, Scorpion flinched backwards.
Priest tried to take it forcefully, but this time it was climax, he pushed the priest’s hand away, and dusted his pant.

‘I cannot do this priest, every volturis have his right, I am sorry’ he said as he walked away digging his hands into his pockets.
I made sure the camera followed him all through the long passage until he stopped at a distant door, which I supposed was his room. Getting to the door, he looked back for some seconds before he eventually disappeared into the room.

I stopped the video.

‘David’ the priest called from behind me

I quickly turned back, and handed him his phone.

‘Nice one he said examining his phone’

‘What is nice’

‘Everything’

‘What is everything?’

‘Everything that had just happened’

‘Yeah’ I said. Not really knowing what to say.

‘Things are getting more tortuous every second’

‘How?’

‘The conclusion is that I do not know if plan A can still work. Maybe I will have to use plan B’

‘What is plan A and what is plan B’ I asked.

He looked at me and started walking away. Probably he was soliloquizing and not necessarily addressing me.

‘Sir’ I called behind him.

He turned.

‘Are you leaving?’ I asked.

‘But you called me back’ he gave a puzzled look.

The last time I had met him I never took him as a savior, I placed him far off and even taunted him. Now the coins have changed, and I do not know how to address him.

I wanted to ask him about Solomon, him saving us and so many other things; but I did not know where to start.
Somehow, I felt that the license would be a great start-

‘Sir what about the license?’

‘What license?’ he asked stunned.

‘I mean for the room’ I tried to twist.

‘What room?’ he asked with a touch of anger
I could not believe my ears.
‘I am sorry’ I apologized in sober confusion.

He turned and walked away.

‘Sir,’ I called after him

‘What?’ he replied with an angrier tone.

‘Are are you really on on on, our s-i-d-e?’ I stammered risking the words.

He examined me for some time-
‘As you can see I am walking away’ he paused and examined me more intent-
‘Lock the door behind you’
He said as he walked away.

I watched him walk down to his chamber.

I dug my hand into my right-back pocket and found nothing.
‘Where did the license go?’

Suddenly, I heard a door creak from the long passage.
Blanketed with fear, I ran into the room, shutting the door behind.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
OKAY now i would really love analysis, encoragements, comments... a plethora, although its not a basis for the next update-
so dear visible and invisble followers lets get talking-
thanks a lot
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by xtophera(f): 10:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
i would really like to know about d 'ghostship' cheesy of solomon o
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 4:55pm On Nov 20, 2013
That one na unto disappearing and appearing tinz oh.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2013
xtophera: i would really like to know about d 'ghostship' cheesy of solomon o

Solomons ghost had bin threatening me,
i dunno (sad face) i nid to gather some spiritual energy to defeat him
b4* i continue
;-(
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:18pm On Nov 21, 2013
Daniel2802: That one na unto disappearing and appearing tinz oh.

abi-
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 11:06pm On Nov 21, 2013
jayloyexten:

abi-
yea
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 22, 2013
Now i understand, the priest turned solomon mouth to a beak to shut him up, he knowingly directed d voodoo to solomon. My voodoo also worked
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
EPISODE 57

I closed the door behind me. My heart gave my chest heavy punches as it expanded and contrasted in active duty. I rested my back on the door bridging it with my palms filed together inches above my buttocks. I tried to calm down. The mysteries thrown at me were just too much, from the fear of survival to the fear of ghost, and then of evil men. Strangeness, magic, irony, betrayal, complexities…

Sandra had flinched when I ran in, but not too far from the door. I could tell that she had been eavesdropping.

She looked directly into my eyes, I looked back at her as well, but all I saw were images of the priest walking away from me into his chambers.
I could not ascertain if he was still for us.

‘What happened?’ she asked as she brought her slender seductive body towards me pinning me to the door.

‘You heard all didn’t you?’ I asked.

‘Yeah I did but-’

‘Look I do not know how the license disappeared I kept them in my back pocket’ I panicked.

‘You need to relax; in fact you should come to bed’

She held my hand and we walked to the bed.
I slept on the edge while she took the other part.
I could not lay flat for worries, so I sat up on the mattress, mopping into thin air.

‘We will get through this, I do not know but somehow.’ She comforted.

‘Yeah I believe’

The next second, her succulent cold palm grabbed my left laps, and gradually like a crawling snail, up and down; she sent high-tension waves of sexual current all through my body. My eyes dimmed immediately. I was so not ready for sexual arousal.
Yet everything was changing so fast, my body was exploding, the male thing was happening so strong, and the next second I knew that I would be groping for love with no mercy!

‘Please stop it that would affect me in so many ways you cannot imagine’ I called out from un-welcomed pleasures.

She stopped the movement but left her hands on my laps, and looked directly into my eyes. Her hands were still performing wonders.

It was not that I was not attracted to her as a matter of fact I was- but-

‘I’m sorry I just need to focus a bit’
I could not look directly into her eyes for guilt sake, so I looked ahead, at the door, starring even at the absent beyond.

She did not say anything for some seconds, and I was getting guiltier.
I turned suddenly to her, wearing a guilty face, making it so obvious.

‘Are you angry, I am sorry but-’ I tried to apologize.

She grinned, rubbed my laps for the last time and removed her hand.
‘No it’s nothing, I understand, you need focus and I am distraction’

I gave a deep breath.
‘Not exactly it’s not like you are disturbing…’

‘NO I understand. We both need to focus, and face our troubles with blue faces’ she interjected.

‘Not exactly, come on you are sounding angry’
I looked her. I was indeed sorry for hurting her, but I expected she would understand.

‘No I am not’

‘I know you are. I am sorry dearie’ I weaved my face into sobriety.

‘Come on, it’s nothing’
‘Are you now refreshed enough to explain what happened in the passage?’ she gave a deep look of concern.

It was then I got the point, her little romance was to bring me back to stability; in her own words ‘to refresh’
In as much as I saw it as a distraction, I guess it served its purpose

‘I love the fact that you are not throwing allegations against me due to my murder allegations’ I began

‘I knew you would not murder anybody, and beside we are a team’

Oh no, she was so wrong. I indeed murdered. However, if we were indeed a team, then there was no point holding anything back. Besides, it was something that I would actually love to discuss with someone.

‘Actually I killed them both, but it was not me, I could simply say that I was possessed by a demon’ I confessed.

‘Jeez!’ she exclaimed, ‘you mean that you…’
She was shocked beyond measure. However, I felt that it was better she hears from me.
I rubbed her laps just like she did me, hopping it would bring her back to stability the way it did me.

I quickly narrated my experience in the mortuary(the parts I did not tell her before)
I knew that she was scared of ghosts, but that was what happened, and that was the only justifiable explanation.
Even if I were to be in the law court, I would call it insanity.

‘David, you indeed want to freak the life out of me by all theses your ghostly stories. How do you expect me to believe that a ghost raised you up, and gave you the ability to punch the life out of a man? Is this some fiction story? Yes it is and I think you are good with fiction, go and write a book’

I explained further, but she instated that she cannot tolerate ghost stories,
‘I do not know if ghosts are real or not, but they freak the life out of me’ she had said.

‘If you can’t tolerate hearing the story, then how would you have been in the face of reality’

‘You mean reality with ghost? That will never happen to me’

‘Pray hard’ I taunted

‘So are you wishing me evil?’

‘No I’m wishing you good, but the path way to good is never good’ I ended with a smile.

‘Hmm that is deep’ she said nodding her head.

‘You’ve gone through a lot, and I think that this murder would bring us into deeper shit’
She sat up and drew her body closer to mine. I could feel fear all over her body.

‘I know, and that was why that short loud man came banging our door.’ I paused and then continued.
I took the license because I felt it would be useful in future, that is if I get a chance of escape, it could be a lead to a destructive plan’

‘And you cannot find it?’

‘Yeah that’s the headache’

‘And you do not think that the priest has supernatural powers?’

‘I do not think that the priest would dare use his powers on me again, not after…’ I said in a whisper should in case the priest has an audio picker transmitting to him from our room.

‘What do you mean?’ she questioned surprised
I did not know how to start Solomon’s story—
‘We had an encounter and he thinks I wield spiritual energy’ I coined.

‘What is spiritual energy?’

‘I do not know exactly but I think it’s a natural gift that repels enchantment.’

‘And you have that?’

‘Yeah, that was what he said’

I could not also tell her that I had just gotten serious with my Christian life. But why should I not when in the face of terrible demonic powers hovering around my head like butterflies. Why wouldn’t I, when I found my self in a room full of white witch craft… How could I tell her, she would not believe me? I had tried to kiss her in the bus, I had killed, I had lied, I had done terrible things, no it would be a shame to tell her that I am now a Christian, or I am trying to be one. I knew Gods power is supreme, the kind found in our archaic church, and that was what I needed if I must survive this empire.

We did not say anything for some time.
Meanwhile I went back to rehearsing in thoughts the scenes of the passage.
Who is scorpion actually? Why was he scared of the priest searching his pockets. Looking at it from the respect perspective, I do not find it in any way, demeaning.

At this point, I could not tell where the priest stood, on my side or not. I had taken all his acrimonious words against me in the passage for sarcasm, but the way we had parted, I could no longer tell.

Peradventure he is so interested in Sandra and not me in particular, who would not after all. She was a paragon adam-apple-ish beauty.

Why would he want to help me? I see no reason- except if there is some hidden secrets.

She broke the silence.
‘You are smart and I am proud of you- gosh see the way you were talking in that passage, so bold; so confident.’

She made her voice sound more awe, like a presenter in a prize-giving ceremony.

‘You faced spirits. You talked with them, you killed two muscular men in a snap, mate, you are great!’

I was flabberwhelmed. How could she count the regrettable murder of the two men as one of my exploits?
Girls could be so amazing at times, but this kind is indeed strange.

Hiding my shock, I grinned.
‘Thank you, you to, you are smart’

‘Thank you-I never knew that you were so smart when I met you in the bus. You know the way grasshopper was throwing words at you, and all the melodrama…’

‘You never knew that I was smart yet you wanted to kiss me?’ I said ending with a vague smile.

‘See you’ she punched my arms.
‘I do not mean it that way, beside I was only enchanted by your cuteness’

‘You were then, so what about now?’

‘Would you police me again if I say I love you?’ she gave a winkish smile.

‘No, I would police you, if you say you do not love me’ I ended in a smile.
We were both smiling like two roasted goats.

After some time….
‘I just pray that we would survive this abduction, I mean together’ she said stroking my hair.

‘Amen. I believe in miracles.’
I knew that I should change the aura-

I began-
‘There used to be a pastor in my former church, he always boasts against death. He often says that he is not afraid of death, That if death peradventure come in a sudden, then that would be sudden death, sudden glory.
That’s the way he puts it’

‘When did you become a pastor’ she gave me a teasing look.

‘What is so amazing? I have not said anything that is so pastoral’ I shrugged.

‘No you just changed our love mood into a churchy mood thereby frying my entire libido.’

‘Jeez!’ I yelled in laughter.

‘What church do you attend?’ she proceeded

‘Pastor Salamis church, you?’

‘Same here, we joined two years back, my family and I. we are in the Abuja branch’ she said

………………………………

Seeing that we were from the same church and victimized of the same grieve, something technical popped from my brain.
I had the strong feeling that there was a round table meeting among the volturis before we were brought in, in a fatal abduction. It all look like a plan, they knew us before.

‘ Probably they do this every year, as a festival, where they eat male and female.’ I thought

Pastor Salami had said that he had eaten his children before he compulsorily sent the last abroad. Peradventure he did not tell me the whole truth. Maybe he had used his children as examples for other volturis to eat their children.

It became clear by reasoning, that my father belonged to a cult, VOLTURIS.
Scorpion had made it clear in his drama that volturis is a big modern cult.
I knew that in cultism, members kill to keep the bond, even their loved ones.
No loved one is too big to be offered for the purpose or for the need of the cult.

If there was a round table, then it means that my parents should know her parents.
That was another dimension-

Suddenly, it occurred to me that my father used to have an official meeting every last Friday of the month, and it’s usually over night.
I had questioned what kind of meeting it was, but he had called it planning meeting for the forth coming month. My question had always been ‘why must it be overnight, and on a Friday?.

One fateful Friday my dad came in around 5am, he usually comes back around eight am, but that day he was strangely early. Somehow as his car pulled over, and I woke up.

I had rushed to meet him. But to my surprise, he was surprised to meet me.

‘David you should be asleep by now, how come you are awake?’

‘Yes I was asleep, but as you pulled over I woke up’
‘How was your meeting sir’ I had asked.

‘Oh the planning meeting was so stressful’ he rubbed his brow in a show of exasperation.

‘Let me help you with your bag’ I had offered.

Suddenly as I flashed back, I discovered that the bag he was holding that night was the same type of bag pastor salami had used to envelope the supposed Sandra’s head and another.
Probably there was something about the bag.

My dad flinched with panic as I tried to hold the bag.
‘No, do not touch’ he said in sudden reflex, pushing my hand away from him.
He did not want me to touch it but I did not make much of it then.

‘Why can’t I help you to carry it’ I had asked puzzled.

‘Because what is in there is very fragile, you should not even touch it’

‘What is it sir and beside the way you are holding it does not look fragile’ I argued.

‘You ask too many question, as you can see I am coming in from a very stressful meeting, you should go to your room now, I need to rest.’

‘But that was what I was trying to do, to make you rest, to release your load’

‘David you should go to bed, I’m tired’ he snapped and walked away..
My dad behaves strange sometimes; this was just one of his idiosyncrasies.

Things were becoming clearer by the moment. But I could not still imagine the height of betrayal I got from my parents. The funny thing again is that Sandra is in same shoe, I know her parents had betrayed her, just like me. I would probe into her family.
Our parents were nothing but beasties!

………………………………………….

‘So we are in the same shoes, we are ignoramus volturis’ I teased her.

‘That is scary’ she shrinked, I had already told her about the communion the Mensa Domini.

‘Yeah, very’

‘Come we are schmoozing as if we are sure of tomorrow’
I brought her back to reality. I wanted to bring her to the setting where she could analyze from deep perspectives, before I eventually ask her about her parents. And in the long run tell her about mine as a step to unveiling her similar predicament.

‘So you are not sure of tomorrow?’ she gave an absurd look.
I knew it was sarcastic.

‘Are you?’ I also picked up an absurd face.

‘You are the one with excess spiritual energy, you alone can tell’ she teased.

Suddenly the IPAD the priest had gave Sandra started buzzing from beneath the pillow.
I quickly picked it up from beneath me, because I was relaxing on the pillow.

Sandra came closer.
I opened the phone lock, and to my greatest surprise what was written on the screen was

Message from David.

I could easily guess that it was the priest.
The message read-

I know you have so many questions David,
Especially about the missing license.
I know that if I do not tell you this, there is no way you would be
Able to sleep- and you need to sleep.

When you fainted I was the one who took the license from you
I knew what could happen in the future…its not magical I took it from you in the lab
For now you have to sleep, there is a great task ahead-
I pray you survive it-

Delete immediately- we will see if the gods permit

I looked at Sandra-
What task is he talking about? And what is coming that makes him so powerless that he has to bank on fate for our survival?
This was no message to make me sleep, never!
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 5:10pm On Nov 22, 2013
Its getting more intersting by the day.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by RAFIC(m): 7:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
I think it's high time I commented..... U'r realy good bro. Jst I dnt believe in ghosts. Bt finally its a nice story.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

New Story : Afraid To Love / Grace Ifeoma Adichie's Burial: Chimamanda's Mum Buried (Photos, Video) / Ibale{virginity}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.